the Rift

[PRIVATE] water for elephants

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow

The coming of spring is quite bittersweet for the ironheart this year. Usually, when the days grew longer and the air grew warmer, she would celebrate the occasion by bringing this year's foal into the world - one single foal, never twins, god damn ass-ripping twins. But this year, she has had her children. They were winter-born, they suffered, and they made her suffer too; this Birdsong there will be no new life passing from between her thighs. The fact she's got so damn many offspring should sate her appetite for motherhood, and yet there's just something about this season that makes her want more. It is as though nature wants all its animals to breed the moment the snow leaves the hills, and Nyx is but a slave to nature, try as she might to resist its call.

She's also a slave to her unfortunate love of dick, which is precisely how she's spawned four foals in two years. Twins. Bloody twins. It feels utterly wrong to have a sense of melancholy about the lack of a child at her heels, when she has so many who still need her attention...but nature has a way of not making any sense when it comes to reproduction. Perhaps it's the fact that her older children, Libertad and d'Arcy, have either disappeared or hate her; perhaps it's the fact that Oizys and Enyo are so fiercely independent, which she puts down to a combination of their difficult early weeks and, of course, their father's genes. Either way, she feels the absence of a needy, hungry, fluffy little creature at her heels (that isn't Dominus; he growls at this comparison), even though she's solemnly sworn off men for life.

But these are not thoughts to be dwelled upon. They are thoughts to be banished, ignored, crushed. She's already turned into fucking Supernanny, she needs no further additions to her brood. The handsome man-meat of Helovia can consider this womb formally closed for business.

Well, closed for however long this little vow of chastity will last. Dominus guessed a week; she kicked him in the ribs for that.

The spring sun is sweltering as she grazes lazily around the outskirts of the Edge. It's morning, with the sun on the cusp of reaching its midday highest temperatures, so she has already sought out the shade of a tree beneath which she can fill her belly without sweating like a stallion on a promise. Dominus lounges in the bottom folds of the tree - he is too large and cumbersome to climb particularly high, but he's managed to wedge himself upon one of the lowest-hanging branches and he's insufferably proud of this achievement. He dozes happily on his perch, ignoring the ominous creaking of the thin branch that groans beneath his weight.

Nyx's thoughts fade into simplicity as she enjoys the tasty Birdsong grass, her worries momentarily shelved.

@Tembovu

Other characters have permission to use magic/violence against Nyx at any time.

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Tembovu
the Elephant
Birdsong was warm this year— hot even. And the heat filled his nostrils with scents of birth and breeding, sweat and blood and life… In the absence of his son (he expected because of the rift that now existed between Elsa and himself), he acutely felt the splintered shadows that yawned in his chest as he aimlessly wandered the Edge.

Though he was not for lack of companionship. Mbwene’s brassy trumpet tartly reminded him of that, as she followed closely on his heels. She was growing, loosing her calf-dom as proud ears spread around her skull, a long trunk dexterously swung from her face, and dangerously long tusks swept sharply from her lips. Another change had overcome the calf. Gradually at first, but now, with the ardent and emotion-laden jaunts of her bonded, it was clear. She was skeptical. Shrewdness lined her bright blue eyes in wrinkled, grey skin. She had felt the billows of passion and relief when her Elephant had been with Adaeze. It had been so different than the comfort and compassion he has shared with Elsa; it had been different from the heart-aching need and affection he had given Orithia; and also had differed from the care and protective love that had flowed when he had been with Rexanna.

And this, the emotion that flowed from her bonded as his navy eyes fell on Nyx, was different still. A short harrumph leaves her long trunk, eyes glancing from titan to grey mare, skeptical of whatever her bonded was about to delve into. But, remembering her last encounter with the General, she dismissed the feelings flowing through the bond to scan the area for Dominus, Nyx’s lion companion. Bright blue eyes pinned him in the low branches of a tree, and fixed a knowing stare at him while she remained close to to Tembovu’s side.

In fairness, the Elephant King’s feelings were different than any other when he saw his General. A woman he had once thought to be the mother to his children, only to find that the twins belonged to another stallion. And to have lost Rexanna over it… But the King did not blame the woman, nor begrudge her her children. Instead, some strange combination of warm camaraderie and quiet, sad loss of what could have been bloomed in his chest as he approached her.

“Nyx, my trustworthy General,” his low voice rumbles loudly in greeting as he and his companion approach, “I’ve been looking for you.” As if to punctuation his point, Mbwene dropped two glass spears, which she had carried in her trunk, unceremoniously on the ground. Tembovu’s thick lips twitch up in a small, lopsided grin at the surly look and overt stretches of her trunk.

“The Moon Goddess has tasked our warriors with sparring each other using glass spears, so that we might know the pain our future glass spikes will cause,” his thick horn motioned to the spears lying in the thick Birdsong grasses, “I trust you can find a soldier willing enough to spar you.” His lopsided grin grew full fledged as he remembered the time they had sparred, and the happy ending following (forgetting, for the moment, the unfortunate and far reaching consequences after it).

And then he really looked at his General, navy eyes sweeping her unswollen barrel and the firm arch of her haunches. She, thankfully, had gained weight since returning from her failed mission to find her father. And haunted shadows had (mostly) left her eyes, though the King’s voice still rolled, more quietly this time, “I’m sorry Nyx, I’m all business and no play… How are you? I’ve missed your humor around the Edge.” Black rimmed ears swept forward as he watched her closely and awaited a reply.
Image by Blu

He's given her 2 glass spears, so that she can give one to whichever Edge warrior she spars with!
Does she want her glass knife/shiv in this thread as well?
@Nyx

Please tag Tembovu.

Her idle musings are interrupted by none other than her king, and an easy smile spreads slowly across her face. She has only good things to say about Tembovu - he is a fine leader, a fine warrior, and a fine lover (and she wishes more than anything that he could have been the sire of her last set of twins, instead of that megalomaniacal grey-eyed monstrosity). Seeing him always lightens her spirits, even if it pains her every day that she's lied to him. He deserves a better general. He deserves a better friend.

Dominus' reaction to the monarch's approach is far less subtle. He spies Tembovu's elephant companion, and his eyes light up with liquid fire. Predatory hunger seizes him - he'd missed out on devouring the prey last time, and fully intends on repairing that mistake now. He rises to his feet, a glowering pillar of white power, slavering from dripping fangs...

Except he's forgotten that he's lying down on the thinnest branch possible, a branch already struggling to hold his considerable weight. When he stands in such a hurry, the fragile wood splinters with a gunshot-like crack, and he tumbles in an ungainly heap to the floor with an anguished yowl. Nyx cannot contain the snort of laughter that ripples free from her nostrils, even as her lion's wounded pride throbs inside her mind. That's what happens when you try to eat other people's companions, she points out.

He greets her as his trustworthy general, and guilt knots her stomach. "Tembovu, my favourite king." She flashes a wide grin, which falters only slightly when he reveals he's been looking for her. Shit, does he know, is he coming to rage at me? But no - his companion rolls two glass spears towards her, and she leans down to sniff them with interest. "Ooh, pointy." And they are - deadly shards that would hurt like a bitch should they penetrate flesh. Dominus, having shaken off the indignity of his fall, gathers the spears in his mouth before retreating to glower at the elephant from Nyx's side.

He tasks her with finding a fellow warrior to spar, and she nods her acceptance of the command. "Of course. We also need a rematch at some point, as well. Admittedly, me losing last time ended fabulously for both of us, but I hate being bested." Another flash of that wolfish grin and twinkling eyes - humour, to rid herself of any dark thoughts about her last lost spar and the consequences of it. "Is there anything else I can do to help?"

The tone changes, and the silver enjoys the opportunity for lighthearted conversation. She doesn't get much of it these days. "I'm good - even better now I'm not a walking milk tank for the twins." Perhaps that's the source of her sudden broodyness; they've only recently weaned, and she missed that opportunity for bonding. "I've missed my humour, too. The last few months....haven't been easy. But I'm getting better, and I'll be your favourite innuendo-on-legs again before you know it." Would he expect anything less? "And how are you? You seem accustomed to leadership now." An observation she's picked up on recently - his crown seems to fit him far easier now.

Yeah if he could give her that as well it'd be great! :D @Tembovu

Tembovu
the Elephant
The King warily watched Dominus’s hungry growl and crouch on the branch. Mbwene is less wary and more irate, trumpeting a loud and brassy warning to the undersized cat. But her warning quickly devolves into chortles as the lion tumbles to the earth, landing unceremoniously on the ground with a hurt yowl. The King pressed his lips tightly together to stop outright laughter, though deep chuckles still shook his massive chest and barrel.

He watched the cat gather the spears in his mouth, after Nyx passes them with approval. He dips his head at her comment; indeed the were point, but not as pointy as the blade— he snorted, realizing he had forgotten the blade Mbewne had dexterously tied into his tail. She had snapped quite a few strands, trying to knot the sharp edged but fragile weapon into his coarse hair. Swaying it softly, he motioned towards his companion who dutifully (annoyedly) stomped behind him to fetch the small knife.

As she worked, his attention turned back to his General, who alluded to their last spar. At first uneasiness settled in him—that had been the beginning of a whirlwind of lies and anger. But, as she flashed him a signature wolfish grin, he couldn’t help but return it. Mounting her had been liberating and entirely (physically) satisfying, at the time, “Yes, we should spar again Nyx.” Though his words agreed, there was no sensual promise beneath his words, despite their past.

His ears swung forward as her tone changed. “It hasn’t been easy?” His words invited her to share what was troubling her, without outright nosiness. And then she turned the question on him. How was he doing? His head cocked slightly as she mentioned he was accustomed to leadership, “Does it seem that way?” His question was mildly amused. He wasn’t certain he’d ever fully be used to being a monarch. “Life, also, hasn’t been easy,” he returned her answer, “But it will get better—“ his mirroring answer was cut off by a high-pitched squeal.

Mbwene chucked the now dislodged glass shiv at Nyx’s hooves. A few long, black, coarse strands were still wrapped around it, but the elephant calf didn’t care. No, she was fisting her trunk, having sliced the tip of it on the sharp edge. A drop of blood fell from the balled appendage as she glared at both the glittering weapon and her bonded.

The King shook his head slightly, great horn gesturing towards the blade, “The crafters also made small blades. I thought our General should be well armed.” A lopsided grin crossed his features.
Image by Blu

@Nyx I couldn't remember if he was supposed to give 1 or 2. If 2, then just say Mbwene threw 2 blades at her :)

Please tag Tembovu.

Dominus hisses grumpily at the king's laughter and the elephant's triumphant trumpeting, and digs his claws hard into the soil beneath his snowy paws. Nyx fixes him with her penetrating blue stare, firmly forbidding him from attacking the small elephant. He has always been a worryingly violent creature, which certainly didn't help to ease Nyx's fear of predators. But he's mellowed a bit as he's aged, and reluctantly stands his ground and doesn't strike for Mbwene again.

He repeats her comment back to her, and she gives a small sigh. She can't say the truth of why the last few months have been hard - that keeping up her lie is exhausting, that pretending her twins aren't hers is harder than she ever could have thought (although she actually thinks Oizys, at least, is beginning to confuse the lie with the truth - the filly blurted out you're not even my real mother during their last argument), that there's one small wicked part of her that wishes they'd never been born, as much as she loves them. No, she can't say any of this, save perhaps for the part about Oizys' outburst, which is actually true - and incredibly hurtful, as well. For the girl to say that, to even think it...what kind of shitty mother is Nyx if she actually makes her daughter's brain twist up the threads of reality and falsehood?

"A multitude of things, really. Mostly it's the twins...I'm not used to children with such...darkness in them. The other day, Oizys screamed at me that I'm not even her real mother and can't tell her what to do, just because I told her to stop using her new magic to murder random animals. I'm worried they're going to grow up and resent me." This is almost the truth; she is worried that the twins will resent her, but mostly because of the lie she's twisted out of their childhood. "And then there's the fact Libertad and d'Arcy have all but disappeared, and I've not seen Enyo in weeks, either....What kind of mother does that make me?" She sighs, scraping the dirt with a hoof so as to distract herself from her sudden wave of misery. Perhaps that's why she's so broody all of a sudden - because she wants another attempt at keeping a child safe, at raising it properly, to be a balanced, loving citizen of the Edge. Not a borderline psychopath like Oizys - that'll be her father's genetics, no doubt.

Tembovu says the same as her, that life hasn't been easy. She looks at him through kind eyes, tilting her head slightly and pricking her ears forward to show her interest. "Do you want to talk about it? I mean, I just unloaded all my mother-problems onto you, so it's only fair." She manages a weak smile. "And yes, it does. You just seem...more assured now. It's hot." Another grin and a twinkle of the eye, to show she's jesting - although it's half true, and her newfound broodyness certainly isn't helping...

She's distracted from this train of thought by a small glass blade suddenly clattering to the ground at her feet, accompanied by a high-pitched squeal from Tembovu's elephant companion. Dominus gives a half-growl, half-roar, as if to prove that his voice is far more appealing to the ears than Mbwene's elephantine shriek. The blade is beautiful, glimmering and deadly (and evidently sharp enough to prick Mbwene's thick trunk). "Ooh, you're flush with gifts today. Thank you, Tembovu, I love it." She leans down to sniff at the blade, finding it quite appealing - her fights will have a new edge to them with that bad boy.

@Tembovu

Tembovu
the Elephant
His black brows raised as Nyx spoke of her adopted daughter, Oizys, killing random animals—alluding to further darkness in both of the fillies. Unease rose in him for a moment: was it a risk to the herd to allow foals of unknown lineage into the Edge to be raised? Nyx claimed they were found on the outskirts of Helovia, perhaps entire nonnative to the land. What darkness and evil could possibly run through their veins?

But he dashed such thoughts, for he knew they were based in fear-mongering. They were foals, with a hard start at life. They deserved a chance at least. So, instead of voicing his concerns, the King simply asked, “Oizys has magic?” The mild question was amusing in the face of the dire fact that she used it to murder animals, so the King could not help a wry, lopsided grin that slid across his thick black lips.

But it died as quickly as it came, as Nyx continued to speak of her other progeny. It seemed many of her foals were missing, and so her uncertainty of her motherhood was manifested with an uneasy and miserable scraping of a toe in the dirt. He sighed quietly, navy gaze watching her dark hoof as it unearthed the rich soil. And he opened his mouth to comfort his General; but instead of assurances, confessions began to rumble in the quiet thunder of his voice, “Hawezi, my son, is also missing,” his usual boom of a voice was hushed and hoarse, “Elsa and I have had a… have had an argument and a misunderstanding. I believe my son blames me for it…rightfully so,” his dark gaze drifts from her digging hoof to the bright drop of Mbwene’s blood on the lush grass.

His ears tilted back, gaze following Mbwene’s trunk as sh slowly unlisted it and tucked it into her mouth, cleaning the blood with her lips and tongue. She didn’t like the metallic taste, as told by a frown of her wrinkled face. “Thank you,” he said distractedly in response to her claim that he seemed ‘more assured’ in his role as King, “I am glad it seems that way.”

He sighed again, head dipping she thanked him for the gifts, “Show me your gratidue by using them, Nyx.” Only now does some mirth and warmth enter back into his voice, replacing the forlorn loss of his son. Finally his navy gaze returned back to her electric one, watching her closely once again.
Image by Blu

@Nyx

Please tag Tembovu.