the Rift

[PRIVATE] wolf like me

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

V O L T E R R A

The snow is melting, burnt away beneath the spring sun to expose rock and hardy shrub beneath. Only the furthest reaches of the Steppe seem safe from the ire of Birdsong, and it is this little patch of winter that the blackened goliath finds himself in. He suffers in the heat, his great size and his ebony fur like beacons for the searing sun, and the last dregs of his winter coat are still clinging on for dear life to compound his sweaty, humid body. It is here, too, where he can find some relief from the flies.

The flies - dear lord, the flies! They are relentless in their persecution of him, and no combination of his tail's swings and Vadir's fire seems to deter them. Indeed, the golden dragon is still working at mastering her flame, and her attempts to immolate the flies around Volterra tend to result in him losing several layers of fur beneath the heat of her badly aimed torrent. Vérzés finds this the height of hilarity, and happily freezes the pests mid-flight with one blast of his own superbly controlled ice-breath. The queen is unamused by this, which only makes her redouble her efforts to incinerate any flying insect that buzzes within a five-metre radius of her bonded's person.

Overall, a combination of the heat, the flies and the constant smell of mare in heat that seems to be soaked into the spring air have all ensured that the stallion is ill-tempered and cantankerous this Birdsong. The far north is the only place he can gather some relief, and there is an expression of almost sexual bliss upon his face as his massive feathered feet sink into the snow. Cold air tickles his sweating, steaming frame, and he allows his fearsome muscles to relax. For the first time in weeks, tension drains from him; his dragons sense his desire to simply mooch around without their endless squabbling in his ear, so leave him to his solitude and fly away to hunt.

After a furtive glance around to make sure nobody is looking (because it wouldn't do to have anybody witness the stern, stoic behemoth doing anything but brooding, fighting and fucking), the beast drops to his knees and rolls happily onto his back. He groans with pleasure as the ice-cold snow presses against his hot skin and sinks its moist fingers deep into the aching recesses of his muscles, like a sensuous massage. Shit, that's better than sex....well, almost. Hell, it's almost arousing how good it feels, but he's quite sure not to let his concentration slip and result in anything becoming more visible than it should be. For once, he doesn't want to think about women, or war, or his children, or his dragons. He just wants to think about the simple enjoyment of a roll in the snow, and by god, has he earnt it.

The beast lays there for a moment on his back, forelegs tucked against his chest and hindlegs waving colt-like in the air, before flopping inelegantly onto his right side. Here he remains, his hindlegs now tucked beneath him and his tail splayed across the snow, a blissfully content expression on his usually hard, stern face. It'd be a dreadful shame if someone was to see him like this, at ease, defences down and simply enjoying his own company...

image credits

@Kid

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Kid Posts: 122
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Colt :: Equine :: 15hh :: 3 years HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
dark
the boy king
It seems that the Steppe is becoming another common hang out for me, the once foreign icy plane become something close to a place of sanctuary— it's the farthest from Mother I can get without taking to the skies and crossing the border of Helovia into some alien land far beyond (what lays past Helovia's boundaries?). Although it isn't suitable for anything other than aimless roaming (it's what I do best), it still serves purpose enough for me. I seek refuge in the comfort of a snowy tundra, finding comfort in the slick texture beneath my hooves as I pick my way across the frosted landscape. It certainly isn't as harsh in Birdsong as it is in any other months (other than Tallsun, obviously), but it still isn't some wonderful springtime meadow where birds sing and bees buzz— it was empty and quiet, save for the occasional howl of wind or passing traveler.

Today I came to seek companionship in the solidarity of the steppe because Mother's woes were souring into something less sullen and demeaning— they were becoming furious huffs and angry mutterings, threatening to blossom into something sinister and dangerous in the weeks to come. I gave her some space, a moment to cool her piping head and let her rethink her reactions (with even the smallest occurrences she overreacts). Her disastrous behaviour was becoming worse, cataclysmic temper daring me to linger for longer than necessary (I'd rather not).

I begin to ease up, tense muscles relaxing as I trod through the tundra, eyes carrying to the horizon as the colours blur— as I approach them they become increasingly clearer, eyes wandering towards the dark obstruction (what the hell?) nearest the deepest blues of the ground. It takes another few yards before I come to recognize it as the downed body of a horse, questioning whether they were on the ground of their own accord or made a mistake in where they tread— tempted as I was to just walk away and leave them be, something called me (for reasons I'll soon discover) forward to investigate the still body. Even closer now I could make out the shallow breathes, the subtle rise of a wide barrel,exhaling gently and repeating the eternal process.

I take another step, reaching my head out and squinting carefully, trying to make out the figure (why did it feel so familiar?). Closer now, tip toeing over dreaded slippery spots and making my way towards the now growing body until it finally hits me, brows knitting together and a bitter taste washing through my mouth— before me lays the solid black body of Volterra the Conqueror, feminine eyes batting once, twice to make sure I wasn't delusional.

Indeed it was the man who held responsibility for this mess of an existence, a lip curling subtly into an uncontrollable snarl at the sight of him so open. I could take this moment right now and strike him down, I could crawl closer still— I could take the titan down before he even has a chance to fight back, could smite him now and let my sizzling hatred wash away with the blood that trails through the small channels in the ice. But no, I'm no father murdering child, no murderer at all (not directly)— I will leave Volterra's death in the hands of someone much more capable, someone who isn't a prepubescent babe with a need for vengeance. Instead I close in, looking down at the fallen gargantuan in his moment of vulnerability. "You're defenseless like this, an easy target," I tell him, voice hushed, firm and confident yet barely louder than a whisper against the gentle winds of the steppe. Even useless men need their rest I suppose (being worthless is a tiring activity, don't you know)— I'm sure Volterra tires himself out thinking about how many possible children he's made (a head count is in order).

I look down (down) at him with indifference— I should cherish this moment now, for soon enough he will rise again and I will again look up at him (as I always will). I scoot closer now, trying to place a heavy cream hoof upon Volterra's shoulder (whether he remains on the ground or springs up out of surprise all depends). "What a pleasure it is meeting your fat ass here." In all honestly, I'd been hoping to run across Volterra— there was much to discuss in terms of his accidental success in procreation, and his current lack of being present for the lives of his children. I feel obliged to ask how many he has and see if my numbers add up to his (Sabre and I, Zhu, Astarot, Tyrath. A total of five), what did he believe? Did he still foolishly think that it was still his three, or did he realize that he was unfortunately fertile?

"Talk."
kid
image credits

@Volterra youre getting all the salty kid posts c":

made by reli

tag me in everything

Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

V O L T E R R A

He feels the urge to drift off to sleep, and it takes quite some effort to resist it. He is relaxed, yes, but he is still a warrior at heart and this would be too vulnerable a position to sleep in. Volterra always takes his rest up against a tree or in a cave, and he always ensures at least one dragon is awake when he is asleep, to ensure he will not be caught unawares. So, as much as he wants to drift into a delightfully cool snow-induced slumber, he doesn't. He simply relaxes, eyes half-shut but ears still turning in circles to detect any noise.

There is a crunch of snow, and the beast's eyes snap open fully. There, approaching him, is Kid; his son, perhaps his eldest. They have met only once, and Volterra's bruises took some days to disappear - the boy can pack a punch, and the proud sire loves this. He thinks how different things would have been if he hadn't got any mares pregnant for a couple more years, until he had a throne beneath his royal backside and an empire at his back. Kid would have been his firstborn, still, and would have been the son he'd have groomed for greatness. Oh, yes, the others would have been trained to fight and to take herds of their own when they were able, but it is Kid who would have been named Volterra's heir, and who would have been trained with that in mind. It is Kid who, many years from now when Volterra is a senile old man, he would have passed his crown to, after countless years of prosperity within his kingdom. For all his flaws, the behemoth has some traditional ideals, and he would have ruled his herd with this in mind - that the firstborn son is the one bred to inherit his father's empire.

But this is all just a dream, now. Kid has been born far too early, when his father is hardly out of boyhood himself. What's more, he was sired before the great black mountain learnt responsibility, before he realised that sometimes sex results in children, and that children are not forgiving creatures when they think they have been abandoned by their sires. Kid does not like him - the venom he put into his kicks and bites made that fact abundantly clear - and that's his own damn fault for not realising the boy existed until he appeared before his very eyes.

So Kid might not be his heir at this exact moment; Volterra still owns no herd, although he one day will, so at the moment the boy has nothing to inherit even if he wanted to. His little story, dreamed of since he was a wet-furred colt, cannot now come to pass, but he likes to think it will still happen, albeit with a few changes to the original plotline. He prays they will reconcile, that the colt can still be the heir Volterra needs, and that when the beast takes a herd he will have his firstborn son by his side to groom into perfection.

Judging by the fact Kid looks like he's just stumbled across a steaming pile of shit on the ground rather than his much-respected and adored father, Volterra rather thinks reconciliation is still quite a distance away.

"Son." He uses the term pointedly, because whether the boy likes it or not, he is his son, a fact he will need to learn to accept. At the lad's remark about his vulnerability, the goliath gives a low, harsh chuckle. "I am never defenceless, dear boy. A wolf still has teeth, even when it rests." Although Volterra will allow his son some liberties (such as throwing a range of kicks and bites at him that would have earnt any other horse a firm and thorough beating), he draws the line at letting the boy literally walk all over him. As the dainty hoof extends to plant upon his shoulder, the giant gives a warning pin of his ears and rises, like a monster from the deep, to his feet. Snow tumbles in an avalanche from his fur and he shakes further flakes from his mane with a hearty grunt, fixing his penetrative red stare on the grullo youngster. The boy is unfortunately small, which is a shame, but he supposes his great size cannot be inherited by all of his offspring. Provided thick muscle grows to lace that petite frame, that testosterone thickens the neck and the quarters, the boy still has potential. Volterra has fought enough short-arses in his life to know that height is not everything when it comes to battle.

At the lad's remark about his fat ass, he raises a sardonic brow. "And what brings your unfortunately un-fat ass this far north?" It is not truly meant as an insult, rather a way to test how easily Kid offends. Does he have Daddy's temper, he wonders?

image credits

@Kid KEEP DAT SALT FLOWING

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]

dark
the boy king
I don't offer any other sign of hearing the word slip from Volterra's lips, letting my ears draw back and eyes reach towards the stoic scarlet lost in the brood ivory. I have many options to consider in terms of my response— I could choose to follow along, to plod through his big steps and keep him pleased and call him father. I could steer clear of his wide trail and go my own way, showcase the rebellious spirit that thrives beneath a blood stained breast and deem him, Volterra. Or I could settle into the shadows and speak none at all to the man from whom my sperm came— I could choose silence over keeping him entertained with my sour words, could let him stare deep into a soul he'll never understand (that I'll never let him understand).

I forge my own path, eyes settling on Volterra as the single word falls from my pursed lips. "Father." This was acknowledgement of his role in my creation, but it does not mean I consider him even close to a father figure (or a father). I choose to say the word with serrated edges, sharp and threatening as the syllables are forced from me.

"Teeth can be removed." I tell him simply. They are no permanent fixture in the skull, no eternal object rooted to your gums— they can rot and chip, can crack and crumble. They can be taken out, they are not items of permanence. I am not yet talented enough to know the method of which those wolf's teeth can be removed— eventually I will learn that there are more ways that imaginable, that even the shattering of a single bone, the obstruction of a particular organ, and all the teeth are ripped clean.

Before the foot can fall, the titan rises. He is a mass of black, speckled with desperate snow clumps clinging to taught hide as he frees himself from the frozen caresses of the earth. He shakes himself free of the snow as he steadies himself upon four feathered hooves, my brow twitching as I crane my neck to look up at him (as I always will)— his eyes focus on me as he stands clean and tall before me, a mountain against a pebble. An ear swivels back as I gaze up at him, wishing that someday soon I sprout up to his height so I don't have to feel so damn small, so that I can feel like less of an insignificant speck against something so gargantuan.

"Just wait," is my response to his comment, intentionally harsh as I look up at him with subtly narrowed brows. My ass won't be unfortunately small for long, already promising a future of a thick and sturdy hind end in the way the newest muscle has been layered on. Soon enough I'll only be unfortunately small, as there is no promise of my height ever reaching beyond (or even near) that of my father (or siblings). "The silence, the solitude." The lack of a mentally unwell dam who has uncontrollable, unpredictable urges to strangle me. I could think of a lot of answers to his question, but choose the simplest and vaguest— I'm not going to spill all the juicy details of my turmoil for him (he doesn't deserve it).

Now is my time to take the roll I was unwillingly given, looking sternly at Volterra with a need to catch his attention. I almost want to stomp my little hooves just to make sure I really have it, but stick with clearing my throat in a more passive aggressive manner. "There's a lot we need to talk about." I take hold of the conversation, making sure Volterra knew that I wasn't going to waste my time on him if he decided that taking a child seriously was stupid and instead wandered off, letting his eyes drift and his head bob aimlessly. I wait to make sure he hears my every word and understands that this is a serious topic, bubblegum reaching up to meet his eyes.

"Talk."
kid
image credits

@Volterra hell yeahhh 75th posttt

made by reli

tag me in everything

V O L T E R R A

The lad's wits are sharp, sharper indeed than his father's. Volterra assumes that is Nymeria's influence; his darling sister has always had a keen eye for wordplay. The sardonic acknowledgement of his position as father is noted, but not remarked upon; he focuses instead on arching one scarred brow at the boy's talk of removing teeth. "The man who attempts to remove a wolf's teeth has my best wishes...and also my deepest sympathy for his impending death." Reaching into a wolf's mouth, attacking Volterra...both things that could result in a swift and painful punishment.

Just wait. Kid's words are sharp, but perhaps Volterra has earnt that ire. He swings his tail to rid his flanks of the last vestiges of snow, whilst continuing to scrutinise his son's body. Aside from the eyes (those ghastly pink eyes) he's a well-put-together young lad, and the beast remembers that his mother had been similarly short, stocky but powerful. He prefers tall, strapping sons, but at least Kid is willing to utilise what he has. Zhu's reluctance to join in the training is concerning to say the least, although there is plenty of time for Volterra to hammer that hesitation out of him.

The fact Kid's searching for silence and solitude makes the leviathan wonder why he's so eager to get away from the hustle and bustle of his small family unit. Like Volterra himself, Kid has a twin sister and a mother, a miniature herd which certainly provided the young demon with adequate company and mental stimulation. But there's no time to question why Kid wants to leave his dam and sibling in search of solitude, because the boy is speaking again, solemn and mature for one of his tender age. The stallion senses a shift in the atmosphere, and he also senses that this could be a valuable time to take one step down the path of reconciliation.

Unless he fucks it up, of course, which he is quite prone to doing.

"Yes, we do." His full attention is levelled on the boy, maintaining level eye contact and schooling his face into impassiveness. He shifts only slightly as he contemplates what to say, how to go about it....the goliath is not the best with words and never has been. Nor is he a man who apologises freely - he rarely ever thinks he has done wrong, and even when he has, he sure as hell won't admit it. But if he is to make amends with his firstborn, and have any chance of that dream of his, then he has to make amends. That means eating a healthy slice of humble pie.

"Allow me to speak first, if you will. Now, Kid, I am not a man who apologises often. Humility sticks in my throat, you see - it's just one of my many flaws." He smiles a cold, hard smile. Arrogant he might be when it comes to his physical capabilities, but he has no delusions of grandeur when it comes to certain aspects of his personality. "But this is one of the rare occasions when I know I was in the wrong. It was remiss of me to not know of your existence until recently. No doubt you have formed an opinion of me because of my absence in your early months, which you have every right to do; I will also hazard a guess that simply peppering me with bruises did not particularly ease whatever disgust you hold for me." At this, he laughs, a short, barking sound. He understands that fighting out your problems is not a cure-all for every Helovian as it is for Volterra himself, although it was worth a try.

"I make no excuses for my behaviour. There are reasons for it, yes - I did not know your mother was pregnant, I did not even know that I was capable of fathering children at the age I was when you were conceived. But that does not excuse my negligence. I should have realised that I cannot simply take my pleasure without consequences, and I should have tracked your mother so I was aware when she had you. I grew up without a father too, Kid - I know how hard it is to not have that important figure in your life. For me to then inflict the same on you, your sister and Zhu...fasz, it makes my skin crawl. It is no consolation to you, I know, but now I know that I have children, I have vowed to myself that I will be a presence in each of their lives from the very beginning. Even if their mothers insist on having them in the Dragon's bloody Throat." He huffs, still quite put-out by the fact both Aithniel and Tiva dropped his sons in the Throat, where he had to send his dragons to witness the birth on his behalf.

"So I am sorry, Kid. Such an empty word, sorry, but I pray it will ensure you know that I am capable of owning up to my actions." His throat aches with the talking, something he rarely does. Now all that remains is to hear his son's rebuke.

image credits

@Kid yayy go kid

Fasz = hungarian for fuck

dark
the boy king
My words, my acknowledgement of Volterra's existence is nothing, caught up in the settled winds and forgotten. The syllables were a pointless waste, pushed from my lips coated in destruction and chaos— ignored. I shown no sign of the temper welling up (be glad I'm even speaking to you), feminine eyes unwavering against the red of Volterra's, standing up against him. "If he knows what he's doing, there will be no sympathy needed." And this is true, a man with knowledge and accuracy may not have to lose his fingers or his hands— he may not surface unscathed, but he will certainly emerge victorious. Because what is a wolf with no teeth? Vulnerable.

Soon, I promise him them— they will underestimate me, assume me weak and feeble with my height (standing beside titan brothers), but their ignorance (their confidence) will be their downfall. I will rise before them, strong and confident with power beneath taught brindled hide— I will strike them down where they stand, will prove just how foolish they were, that physical assets are not always a key necessity (a lesson Volterra needs to learn).

Volterra picks up on the serious nature of my demand (was it such?), slipping in with his own words. It's a long jumbled mess of him trying to apologize, interrupted momentarily for an unsettling laugh at the mention of the bruises along his body (from me) did little to dull the disgust rooted in my gut. And he is right. For months (months) this hatred, this foul dislike has buried itself into the roots of my bones, infected my veins with a bitterness nothing (that I know of) can cure. Perhaps I'll play along, pretend that yes, my hate has been weeded out and I love (ew) Volterra so— but all to gain his trust, his favour (his riches). No one ever said I had to play fair.

"If you're done," I finally get to talk (I thought he wasn't going to shut up), "I have some things to say. There isn't going to be any more of this." On the last word, I refer to myself (motioning with a ivory muzzle) and the broken relationship between us. It lays in tattered shards among our hooves (who shattered it? Did I? Did he? Who's to blame?), unsalvageable with how many pieces there are. That doesn't mean I wouldn't at least pretend that it was all there, that we had a normal father-son relationship. "You take care of your children now, you get to know each and every one of them. You make sure they're safe, that they have places to sleep and a suitable caretaker. You teach them things, how to fight, how to speak in a tongue none will understand, how to be something great." Even though he is nothing (not yet), I still add that last part in. "And if you cannot meet those expectations, cannot be present in the lives of your children, you either take up abstinence or pull out. Considering how many of us there are, the former might be a bit hard for you." The existence of so many from just one man proves that Volterra cannot keep it to himself, that he needs momentary relief. "You should still be pulling out, one man should not have so many children."

"I won't forgive you." I speak firmly, confident in my answer to his pitiful apology. He says he is a man who is rarely ever sorry for his actions, sorry for his wrong doings, so this is some rare occasion (a miracle). But all I feel is a twisted (sick) gut, disgusted by the words he says (sorry). It feels like he's apologizing for creating me, for making something so pitiful (so wrong) out of something so cruel, so heartless and hungry for power. "Maybe one day I will, but you have to prove to me that you can take on the responsibility of being a father first. You have to show me that you are willing to take time out of your day to take care of us. And for me, you have to make up for the time you lost."

I want him to train me, to show me the ropes of war. I may not meet his standards for an impressive soldier with a bulking body and powerful stance, whose brute force can take down an enemy (intimidate them). From him I take the brawn, from Nym I take the brain. I will build myself up (a perfect king), a terrifying opponent of war, a cunning man with skill in both the shadows and the battlefield.

"Talk."
kid
image credits

@Volterra this post is all over

made by reli

tag me in everything

V O L T E R R A

His mouth feels dirty in the aftermath of the apology. He is not used to saying sorry, and he is not good at it. But he assumes that saying the word will go some way towards making it okay, because that is how it works, is it not? He assumes Kid will accept, as what son would not delight in earning his father's favour?

He is wrong.

It does not cross his mind that the boy could try and manipulate him. For one, he does not think the lad capable - he's too young, too innocent, to have a mind that black and a heart that cruel. And for two, no member of Volterra's family would ever do that to another of their kin, to another horse whom they share blood and flesh with. They will fight, yes, squabble and scrap for dominance as children are wont to do, but they are above such petty cowardice as mental manipulation of their family.

Or so he thinks. Again, he is wrong.

Kid states that there is not to be any more of this, and the gesture of his skull-painted muzzle implies the relationship between them. He then proceeds to repeat back what Volterra had already implied he would do; take care of any and all his children. "That is what I have just said, Kid. Of course, I will show you how to fight - is this not what I began to do during our last meeting? I will teach you my language, as I have taught Zhu, and would have taught you from a far earlier age had I known you existed." Of course he will teach his boys to fight, and his girls too; of course he will share with them he and Nymeria's sacred tongue, so they too can converse in secret.

Of course he will be a father to them, if they will only let him.

It is rare that the mammoth stallion is caught off-guard, but Kid's next words achieve exactly that. "Pull...out?!" His eyes widen, his lower jaw dropping gormlessly for a moment until he remembers himself and snaps it shut. "Pull out? How do you even know what that is? Actually, don't answer that. I would rather not know." He shrivels his nose in disgust - this is not a conversation he imagined he would be having with his son until Kid was far older. Heavens, the boy is far more worldly than even sex-mad Volterra had been at that age! It has never even crossed his mind to haul his body from his lover at the point of ecstasy; to spill his seed onto the ground rather than into her. It seems...unnatural. All those could-be children, wasted in the dirt. Those future emperors, those future queens, never to exist.

Volterra is far from being a prude, but talking about this with his son makes him feel quite queasy. He'd pictured Kid coming to him in a year's time, asking what these urges were in the depths of his loins, what this weight was between his thighs, what to do with it, how to lessen it. He'd imagined growing awkward then as opposed to now, explaining the logistics and the mechanisms and the joy of it. He didn't expect to be having this conversation quite so soon. Just another part of his dream that's inexoribly changed.

The tone turns serious again, and the demon's feral eyes fix on his son's as Kid declares that he won't forgive him. Volterra nods; he had expected nothing more, although he'd hoped...His apology had not been pitiful, far from it - he will grovel at the feet of none, and if Kid is expecting his father to bow and acquiesce to every command, then he is to be sorely mistaken. There is humility, and then there is stupidity. Volterra ensures he stays strictly within the bounds of the former.

The child finishes speaking, and the goliath smothers an exasperated sigh. Had Kid listened to nothing he had just said? Does he really think he needs to tell Volterra to interact with his offspring? The stallion made it abundantly clear that the only reason he did not have a presence in his children's lives before now was because he did not know they existed. The moment he found out about Zhu, he took him under his wing; taught him Hungarian, taught him anything he wanted to be taught. The moment he found out about Kid, he attempted to do the same. The moment he met Tyrath, the same. In other words, the moment Volterra found out he was a father, he embraced it with open arms and began making up for lost time with every single one of his sons. Had he found out about his children and still made no attempt to be in their lives, then that would have been unforgiveable, but that is not the case. Ignorance, not laziness, prevented him training them earlier.

But he crushes his frustration down, clenches it beneath a wall of steel. Saying it would be like talking to a rock, that much is apparent to him. Kid has decided how he wants to feel, and no amount of logic or reasoning or truth will change that. In a way, that stubbornness and indomitable willpower is to be respected - after all, where else has he got it from but Volterra himself? - but it's also a considerable barrier between them and reconciliation.

"Then let us begin now. What would you like to know? Ask of me anything, Kid; I will endeavour to either tell you or show you the answer."

image credits

@Kid

dark
the boy king
Does he expect a gold star for stepping out of his comfort zone and apologizing for his absence? Does he believe I will so readily accept it, when he hasn't even proved it yet to me? Where are my brethren now, Volterra? Can you name each child you've helped to produce? I almost draw back my lip in disgust at the idea that it's all just a lie, that he has already forgotten the names of his sons, that he cares for them as much as he does Mother (none at all). Those measly few words and an attempt at training me to fight is nothing, a spur of the moment idea Volterra probably thought up in an attempt to bond with me.

Ears fall back, eyes reflection the emptiness of the inside (how stupid is he?)— it takes me a moment to remember that Volterra is no matured man, that he has lived on this soil barely longer than I have. He is no aged warlord, conqueror of many cities, a powerful beast with dangerous strategy. He is still a boy (although not physically). We are barely different, with innocence and painful youth strung across shared ivory features. He may have not suffered as I have (do you know the pain of maternal love?), but he has certainly shed the curious newborn traits. All children have it, an itching urge meant to take them to far away places, imagined by wild minds and brought to life through vivid images. Where had that gone? When was it all of that childish bliss shriveled up and eroded away?

Perhaps in that first bite, when my cries for attention (now silent, but still there) became too unbearable for Mother— when her motherly instincts were just beginning to blossom and the overwhelming emotions took her sense of rationality away. She drew blood and left a deep, rough scar against my cheek— my first taste of physical abuse. From there it only worsened, scattered scarring against brindled hide, worn in shame spite. She may believe that she was disciplining me, knocking me down a peg every time blunt teeth pierced thick skin, but it was only making me stronger. I was becoming impervious to the pain of her love, melting away against the anger that kept her going, silently withdrawn into myself.

And Volterra knew nothing of it. He knew nothing of the wounds I've born, of the blood that's dripped down my shoulders and stained the forest floor— he's clueless to it all. He doesn't know the emotional trauma, the insults that leached under my skin and brought me down (I've grown stronger now), the suffering of a young boy who cannot comprehend why his mother would do such terrible things to him. "Where were you?" I ask, hushed words caught up in the wind, attention solely on the man before me. Where had he been when I needed him? When I slept alone, hidden from Mother's sight, licking frantically at the wounds that wouldn't stop bleeding (I was so afraid). What gave him the right to just forget about me (about her, about us)?

That's where the bitter hatred seeds itself, planted in the stone heart of a broken boy king, burning with passionate disgust. It grows off of the knowledge of Volterra's obliviousness, to his stupidity— nourished by the lack of understanding of his fruitfulness, how he waited eight long months to realize that the little trysts are more than little, that putting two and two together adds up. He chose to seek out Zhu, to find that offspring— to teach him what Volterra may have never taught me (and may never teach Sabre).

I do not ask, I tell. I tell Volterra what I know he may never hear of anywhere else, a well guarded phenomena that he may have carelessly ignored until it stitched itself back together (if it ever did). The tear in this family could not be ignored, could not be thrown aside to never be doted on again. "Sabre is gone." There is a glance to the side, an ear falling back and the sour taste of defeat clinging to my tongue. I hope he's happy to know that I'm going out of my way to share such precious news, struggling to overcome the knotted throat and narrowed brows that accompany the truth. I'd thrown away hours, calling helplessly into the dark of the forest, praying for my twin's return. She has yet to call back.

"She's been missing for weeks, maybe months." I shrug like I don't care (I do), swallowing the sorrow that claws at my throat as I try to grasp at the reality of her absence. The stages of denial are over now, the after effects of the painstaking process prominent in the distant bubblegum gaze, caught up in the smudged horizon. Does Volterra even care? Would he have ever even known? No, he wouldn't have. He would have kept living, believing that his one daughter was healthy and beautiful despite never meeting her— did he even plan on meeting her ever? My stomach churns at the idea that perhaps she hadn't even crossed his mind, that he has pushed her into the dark recesses of that empty skull, valuing sex (and battle) more than his own children.

"Well then, teach me your language. And when I'm physically able, teach me of fighting, of battle strategy and all that you know of it." That is my simple request, all that I seek (for now). When my body has solidified and I'm not suffering beneath the crippling lack of strength, when I can finally use the battle strategies learned.

"Talk."
kid
image credits

@Volterra

made by reli

tag me in everything

V O L T E R R A

Volterra knows the pain of a mother's bite, too; Confutatis was not a gentle woman, and countless times he felt the sting of her venom upon his hide. She was not a loving dam, not by any stretch, although she performed her duty well by raising her two darling warlords from children with potential to adults with power. And, like Colt, she did it alone. Tyradon hung around long enough to see his foals born, provide Nymeria with a dragon and Volterra with an amulet, and then he was gone; gone to rule his own herd in the wilderness with countless other offspring, with barely a thought spared for his two skull-faced bastards. Whether it was this that drove Confutatis to such harsh methods, or whether it was just her natural desire to purge any weakness out of her children, he does not know. He only knows that he remembers pain, suffering, burning tears against infant flesh. He does not remember love, affection, the tender embrace of mother and son.

So if Kid is to assume his father does not know what it's like to grow up with only a mother around, and only a mother with a penchant for violence at that, then he is wrong. The only difference is that Volterra embraced this burden he was born with; he strived to impress the World Eater in any way he could, and he likes to think he's succeeded.

Maybe she'll return, one day, and find him a king. Maybe she'll be proud of him. Maybe she'll apologise, or maybe his success will be a vindication of her methods. He loves her, of course, and in hindsight he thinks her methods were the correct ones. They certainly worked - look at him now. Look at Nymeria. No weakness dares to burn through their blood, and he has the World Eater to thank for that.

Where were you? asks Kid. He would ask Tyradon that same question. Why weren't you around to show me how to fight? Where were you when I wanted to know if these urges inside me were normal, or if I was an abomination? Why didn't you care enough to show me how to live? "I was not where I should have been." By your side. For the first time, there's a hint of bitterness in his voice; a droplet of shame, a pinch of self-loathing. I should have been there.

He wonders if Tyradon would say the same should Volterra have been the one to ask that question. His lips twist into a humourless grin at the thought; no doubt the warlord would simply have told him to man the fuck up and get over it, to point out that no harm's been done, that he survived, didn't he? What more does he want?

Part of him wants to echo that sentiment to Kid. Man up, boy, you're not the only one in this world who's had a hard life. But he doesn't. Cruel he may be, but he's not that cruel.

His thoughts are disrupted by Kid's next words. Sabre is gone. She's been missing for weeks. He growls, stomps a hoof. "Shit." He snorts, shakes his mane, his muscles thrumming with energy and a desire to hunt down his only daughter and bring her home. He has not even met the girl yet; she cannot be gone. The thought sickens him, not just for his own selfish ends (losing a daughter, a useful daughter, is a colossal inconvenience) but for what it will do to Kid, too. If Kid and Sabre as as close as Volterra and Nymeria....Volterra knows that he would happily trade his own life for his twin to be safe. If Kid feels the same...then Volterra owes it to him to locate the other half of his whole and bring her back.

The goliath disrupts his dragons' hunt to cast a mental bullet into their heads. Find her, he commands. They point out that they don't know what she looks like, and he sends them an image of Kid. Like him, probably. Like me. Just find her. With howls of disgust at having their hunt disturbed, both red and gold fly in different directions to search for a child they've never even met. "We'll find her." He leaves it to Kid's imagination to decide whether that 'we' is Volterra and his dragons, or Volterra and his sons.

There is nothing he can do at this precise moment - he cannot ditch Kid to search for the boy's twin, although he intends to join his dragons in hunting the moment this meeting with his son finishes. For now, all he can do is teach the child that is here what he's requested. "Of course. We can start with the language right now, if you wish. It is easier to learn when you are young." He fixes the boy with his ruby stare, impassive despite the concern held inside for his missing daughter.

image credits

@Kid I don't know if you want to do a time-jump kinda thing where Vol teaches him some Hungarian without us actually writing it all out? ^^