the Rift

Waking Light

Eliaren Posts: 9
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 Hands :: 3 Years
Fray

Eliaren

The last shadows of night had faded away, replaced by the brilliant reds, oranges, and purples of dawn. The morning sun was low on the horizon now, breathing life into the sleeping forest. Among the trees, a glimpse of a seal-brown hide was visible, accompanied by the soft thumping of hooves on the bare earth. With a determined look in her amber eye, she marched on, head held high, as she had done for days on end. Both ears were pricked forward, listening for the slightest sound of danger.

She had descended from the mountains into the valley, not knowing where her heart would lead her, what life had in store for her next. She was both enthralled and afraid, if a beast such as herself could be the two at once. It was very confusing. Her head was confusing. Yet she was sure it was possible. It made her nervous, wondering what this strange land held. As of yet, there was no sign of any beings similar to herself. Silently she prayed that she would find somewhere to rest her weary limbs soon. The maiden had been on the move for far too long. So long, in fact, that she could not recall how many days it had been since she had embarked on this perilous journey. She certainly looked how she felt. Her long, thick mane was tangled. No longer did it frame her neck like a silky curtain. Clumps of dark hair were missing, which resulted in a patchy appearance. Twigs and leaves protruded from the whole mess in every which way. It put her in even more of a foul mood. Her body was covered in thousands of little scratches. Some of them were still bleeding. Usually she was one to keep up with appearances because she hated to look impartial, but she hadn't had time to worry about the way she looked as of late. She was too busy running. After a while, Eliaren came to wonder at what point she would be able to stop. The chase seemed never-ending.

Along she went, searching for a sign that would give her some notion of where to go next. She had waited long enough. Her past so far had been wasted in fear and she would have no more of it. That was all behind her now. It wasn't selfish of her to think she deserved a home. Where had she gone wrong? Perhaps it was the curse of a god. Nonsense! She chided herself. Eli didn't believe in such silly magic; she couldn't. She preferred to think that her fate was in her own control, not in that of a supernatural being that could bend her to his will like a marionette. It was an odd and beautiful place, this unfamiliar land. Now surrounding her were large beautiful pines, green leaves, all dotted with various patches of small white flowers. The trees were quite tall and old, several times her own size in height and large enough that one could easily hide their whole body behind its base. Beams of blinding light flooded through the thick canopy above. Eliaren's delicate figure glowed in the iridescence that struck her scraggly hide. When she emerged on the other side of the grove she was not sure what she would find, as she was not able to see far into the distance. The great trunks blocked her vision. As the woman wandered she wondered if maybe fate would smile down upon her today, breaking her unwilling fast, restoring her strength, and allowing her spirits to soar once more.

Sometimes, the greatest blessings came in the finest of disguises.

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
but somewhere here in between the city walls of dyin' dreams
It was a constant struggle—wake up, get up, find some meaning to each long, sunlit day. Find some meaning to grazing. Drinking. Sleeping. And at the end of each day, the sun set, darkness reigned, and then, the sun rose again, and so the cycle went on, and on, and on.

And still no divine meaning presented itself to him. Still nothing gave him reason to slake his thirst, eat the dull, ash-tasting grass, or wake up again. So he drifted, through the trees of the edge, through the fog, along the cliffs, down to the beach, pacing the water, drifting back up home again, avoiding everything, everyone, accompanied only by his owls and his pain.

He didn't even know why he was hurting anymore. He just.. did.

Many times had he looked at himself in disgust, said you're miserable and pathetic, go do something with your unending life, but just as it was easy to chew himself out over it, it was hard to actually do something about it. But, yesterday had ended a bit differently. A small, flimsy spark of energy had grown in his chest, a restless surge through his bones. He hadn't wasted time agonizing, questioning, doubting. He had simply taken off, walked the long way to the Threshold, and wandered aimlessly through the trees as the stars wheeled overhead. Not much had happened. No one had passed Helovia's borders. Mauja had grazed some, dozed off, and woken again as the first hint of dawn began to lighten the sky in the east. He figured he could stay a few hours longer, and then head home and bury his face in a tussock.

He was thinner than he should've been, but not as thin as he had been. His ribs were a tad too prominent, his flanks a tad too sunken, and there were sharp angles were there previously had only been well-rounded muscle—but, he was still alive (not that he had much choice in the matter anymore), and he decided that that would have to be enough.

The owls came in from their night's hunting, and settled along his back. Irma perched directly on his spine, sharp talons digging into well-scarred black skin, while Diego chose to sit on the crystal staff he wore over his back. It was tucked in under the straps of a leather shoulder-bag and balanced on his broad rump. "Hello," he murmured, for once speaking out loud, to the preening owls. He could smell the faint blood on their talons and beaks.

Sighing to himself, Mauja set off again, down well-traveled paths. Perhaps the rising sun would bring him more luck.

And it did. Through the trees from the east came a mare, an elegant, seal-brown creature. Well, elegant and graceful in how she moved—otherwise, she was travel-worn, her long locks matted, tangled, and partially torn out. He both smelled and saw the fresh—and old—blood on her body. Some came here as castaways, refugees, exiles. Some came here and demanded the world bow to them. Mauja tilted his head to the side. You never really knew what you would find until you found it.

"Good morning," he called to the mare, picking his way over to intercept her path and to, unless she stopped, fall in beside her. "And welcome to Helovia. I am Mauja. Who might you be?"

Once, he had heard Lace say to Paladin, "you look like shit". As he studied the mare, he figured it was an appropriate description in this case too, but he kept his mouth shut.

[ lol I effed up last night when I did your table, it should be..
Code:
</div></div>
<div style="width: 640px; text-align: right; font-family: times; font-size: 6pt !important;">
<a href="http://nicole-studios.deviantart.com/" target="_blank">∞</a></div>
@Eliaren sorry this wasn't my best post >< ]
Mauja
the white queen
image credits
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Outcast
Fray

Eliaren

You cannot turn back now. Each step carried Eliaren deeper and deeper into the abyss. Pale light reflected in each fresh dewdrop on each quivering leaf. A warm breeze drifted through the woods. Her skin tingled as she trudged through the undergrowth. The birds were getting into full song. She chuckled quietly beneath her breath. It was ironic how the birds always sang cheerfully, even on the gloomiest of days.

She was so caught up admiring her surroundings that she did not hear the great stallion approach. His sudden show caught her off guard. She quickly regained her composure as relief washed over her. So there were equines here after all. Except he was different. From his massive head protruded a glimmering spear of ice. One could almost feel pain just by looking at the spiral-wound horn. The maiden gasped softly, her jaw dropping a little at the sight of this spotted creature called Mauja. Where she was born, Unicorns were a being of legend. Never had she imagined that she would meet one face to face. Although he has seemingly come from nowhere, something about his presence instantly made her feel safe. Eliaren did not even know this brute. For all she knew, he could kill her right then and there, or worse. However, her instincts told her she could trust him. She couldn't help but feel a little guilty for being so easy. She knew better than to make hasty assumptions. For her own safety, she should have been on the alert, should not have let herself become distracted but it was too late.

"Greetings...Mauja. You're quite fascinating. It is a pleasure to meet you." The words rolled slowly, deliberately off of her tongue as she tasted the sound of his name. It was at the sound of the first word that the damsel realized she had not spoken to another horse in a long while. It felt strange, but also satisfying, to use her rusty vocals again. Eli held her ground more from scrutiny than disrespect, trying to make sense of a clearly unfamiliar situation. She had forgotten the comfort of companionship; grown lonely in her travels. "My name is Eliaren. You can refer to me as Eli if you wish. Are you from these parts?" Her scarlet gaze rested gently upon his flank. Helovia. So that's what this place was called. A fitting name for such a magnificent land. It was unlike any she had ever seen.

Making steady eye contact with Mauja now, she noticed a funny expression had crossed the unicorn's face. She frowned momentarily, trying to decipher his body language. Then the maiden remembered what she looked like. Her appearance was that of a soldier returning from war, bloody and broken. Eliaren felt bad that she had to look like such a disaster upon their first encounter. There was nothing that could be done about it now, and she decided it was best to let it go. She was too vain for even her own liking, yet her ego could not be helped. "Please disregard my shabby appearance. I've been on the road for a while."

@Mauja
[thank you! and no worries<3]
Ascended Helovian

Some of his most bizarre moments in life had taken place in the Threshold—and not just counting the rather large number of half-dead vagabonds stumbling in and having to be coaxed off the ground and more or less convinced not to give up on life. But things like vicious fighting, seduction, finding or losing pieces of his life, insults, licking Johnny's neck (—yes, that happened)... He wasn't sure this was classified as "bizarre", though. It was—uhm—just the regular 'are you even real?'. Possibly there was a smidge of the moony-eyed female, but he chose not to assume it—tried not to think of it, even. It would just make him uncomfortable, and the last thing he needed was to get all backwards and awkward when trying to recruit someone.

There could be a thousand different reasons for her soft gasp and slightly awed expression. (And it could also be the one thing casuing his heart to pick up its pace and bleed fear into his blood—)

But it didn't exactly get better when she proceeded to call him 'fascinating'. He didn't want to be fascinating! He wanted to be just like anybody else, just—not noteworthy. A nobody. Not a tall, graceful white spotted beast with too many titles, or whatever it was that made others react to him. He didn't want to stumble over a stranger and have them swoon for whatever reason, or like when Valentine had shown up years ago and claimed to have heard of him outside of Helovia, from some uncle.

But of course, that wasn't entirely true either.

Part of him still craved for influence, to once again be a force to be reckoned with. He just didn't want mares to find him fascinating in the process. Still, he had manners, he had composure, his face serene and pale eyes giving little away. "The pleasure is mine," he answered, voice soft, as his thick tail flicked once behind him. She introduced herself as Eliaren, but not of any particular place. Idly, he wondered if calling her 'Eli' would signify something, answer some question buried in her voice—something which he had no idea what it was, anyway.

And should he offer to let her call him 'Mau'? And come to think of it—did anyone use that nickname? Most had a tendency to call him by his whole name, if they mentioned him at all. A slight frown creased his face. "I have lived many years in Helovia," he answered, as if drifting in his thoughts, as his gaze traveled up her neck to her face again. He wasn't sure if it was just dust and mud, or if she actually was dappled. Swallowing his own hesitancy, he met her eyes. "Please disregard my shabby appearance. I've been on the road for a while."

It actually brought a small snort from him, dark nostrils widening as he turned to gesture with his head at the forest around them. "Don't worry about it. This place is known as Helovia's Threshold, and it is the path everyone takes to come here. You're not the worst off I've greeted among these trees." Looking back to her, he tilted his head. It was easier with someone he didn't know—he could just pretend. Smile. Hide it all beneath the ice. And then, if she chose to follow him home, he would simply leave her in the care of the herd, and disappear.

(That's what ghosts do.)

"But if it bothers you, I know a place where you can clean yourself up. There's a freshwater pond in a place known as the Secret Grove, at the foot of my homeland. We could go there if you like."

(Don't stop and consider the implications of what you just said, Mau. You'll just terrify yourself.)

[ @Eliaren ]
Mauja
the white queen
image credits

Outcast
Fray

Eliaren

She had met many beautiful creatures in her life, but none such as he. “I’ve never met a unicorn before.” She tried her best to explain her fascination at the glowing horn that crowned his brow. The question was if this new creature was willing to disclose information about himself. Eli supposed not. There was so much she wanted to know, but it would have to wait. Only minutes ago they had been strangers. She didn’t want to scare him off with insistent, child-like pestering.

Though she always tried her best to understand others, this stallion was impossible to read. He was stoic. Eliaren thought herself to be sufficient at interpreting words and actions. She was stumped. Although she showed few signs of her puzzlement, so many thoughts circulated her mind. She wasn’t quite sure whether or not she had chosen the correct words. First impressions were extremely important, and Eli struggled to decide if this was ideal. It certainly would have helped if she’d looked the part. She was in no way surprised that Mauja seemed a little – what was it – uncomfortable? She could hardly tell. Maybe that assumption was completely farfetched. Either way, the woman preferred to start out on good terms, and thus did not act upon this idea. Instead a pleasant smile spread across her maw.

Chocolate-colored ears flicked lightly atop Eliaren's skull as her gaze narrowed momentarily upon the gentleman, whom she found to be quite compulsive. "I must admit, your offer is compelling." the sounds left her softly, slowly, voice almost sickly emotionless and smooth as she continued to probe his expression for any hint of what thoughts were brewing in his head. Mauja seemed to be thinking.

There was the possibility that Mauja could take her where she needed to be. A blast of wind crashed against her side and she enjoyed its warmth. She preferred the hotter months over the bone-chilling temperatures of Frostfall. She felt compelled to go with him, to follow this stallion further into the depths of Helovia. The forest began to come to life around her and she couldn't help but be swept up in the beauty of the place. The lush foliage seemed to stretch for miles, the beautiful expanse of sky marked here and there with a fluffy white cloud. It resulted from her loneliness, and natural curiosity than anything. Sure, she could use a little tidying up. But after days on end of it she had sort of grown used to her bedraggled coat. The woman was tired of meandering about without purpose. One could go crazy with only oneself for company. What could possibly go wrong? What did she have left to lose? Eliaren took a moment to mull over the situation. There were no drawn-out ramblings to somehow convince the other that she was worth his time. Her decision was swift. "I'd be happy to go there, to this Secret Grove, if you will show me the way. "

@Mauja
Ascended Helovian

“I’ve never met a unicorn before.”

"Oh." (And then you met me—)

She could've had a thousand different, better first experiences with unicorns. (Hah, shut up—) Less insane ones without heavy scars on their chest, and no secrets buried ten thousand feet beneath ice and basalt. Ones like—like Tembovu, all regal and graceful and majestic and soft and sophisticated, easy and kind, letting out little pleasantries and compliments (you're beautiful, I like your eyes, would you tell me your story some day?).

Or maybe she should've met someone like Katerina—graceful, mysterious, painted with the patterns of galaxies far, far away.

What was a textbook unicorn like, anyway? What color? What patterns, if any? What kind of horns? Hooves? Tails? The frown on Mauja's face grew deeper and deeper as he realized there probably was no 'standard unicorn'—his 'standard unicorn' was either frighteningly similar to himself in color, or midnight black. It had to be cultural, then.

Her voice, fortunately, brought him back from his mind's tired, unfettered ramblings. "I must admit, your offer is compelling." She spoke—he couldn't quite put his hoof on it, but she spoke ..differently. Nobly. Not that many verbal shortcuts, certain words—he glanced over her again, head nodding absently. Perhaps she was? Perhaps she wasn't. But in the end, she chose to go with him. (Don't follow the wolf—)

But he wasn't a wolf anymore—he was just Mauja, the victim of his own ranging thoughts. Once, this would've been the perfect ruse (fuck, he'd already done this once, hadn't he?), but now? He was just offering her a nice pond to clean herself up in, as it seemed to bother her, and along the road, or perhaps when she had freshened herself up, he'd offer the customary place in the World's Edge herd.

It seemed a wholly backwards procedure, a total breach of protocol, but it was too late now. "Of course," he replied, soft, gentle. The sun had begun to warm him, touching his face with golden hands. And her, too, but the dust and grime made her seem dull. He blew out somewhat of a half-sigh, turning to face west. "This way."

And his frosted hooves began to eat up the distance.

[ The end! @Eliaren I probably won't manage more posts tonight, so if you're raring to go post a thread for us in the Grove <3 if you haven't done it by tomorrow I'll get something up for us ^^ ]
Mauja
the white queen
image credits