the Rift

[OPEN] Sanguine

Caneo Posts: 133
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3h :: 6 years HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Ophiria :: Dragon Snake :: None kae

A new place.

He knows many of Helovia's pockets now. Here and there, however, patches of mystery gather and beckon, pulling him yet farther from the Dragon's Throat. Rest finds him but fleetingly. No threat of duty pins him down; indeed, whatever has become of Ghost, her replacement possesses even less charm than she. He has not seen Ampere in very long; he does not love the other queen he knows. So Caneo wanders, loyal to nothing but his curiosity, free and unpunished despite his halfhearted allegiance to his home.

Today, he wends through trees. Bloody light dapples his pale flanks, cast down by a spring sun and distorted by the laughter of water and the bristling branches of the many trees. The press of the forest, the thin chill of the high air, no longer chokes him as it once did, though uneasiness rests in the light fall of his hooves. He holds himself lightly, prepared to run if the need should arise — though Caneo is always prepared to run. In too many ways, he is yet to grow from the hunted child, yet to become anything more. From where she rests upon his crown, her narrow coils looped around his horn, the serpent agrees. She wants to hunt.

She always does.

Caneo tires of frogs and midnight vigils sat at water's edge, so he keeps walking. The serpent clings to the sparse cover of his forelock in daylight anyway, forgetting until she inches away how dearly she hates the sun and all its brilliance. Caneo is more interested in the water, now. He's never seen anything so red before which wasn't blood, but this smells fresh — no metallic tang to the air. Nothing bleeds upstream, or the liquid wouldn't be so vibrant. So.... He studies the eddies and whirls of the current as he walks, the ear farthest from the water twitching absently to track all the movement in the forest beyond. This would be a perfect place for predators to lie in wait, wouldn't it? He is no longer young or foolish enough to take that chance.

With a sigh, he hesitates, his pale eyes scouring the trees. Was that a branch he heard breaking? Another traveler, a crow taking flight? He shakes his head. The serpent on his brow tastes at the air, then slowly inclines her face toward the water. They have made a circuit of the pool's edge, found no easy way to breach the water's source. Curiosity pulls him closer still, until the crimson depths threaten to wet his toes. Languidly, Caneo's neck stretches out, out. He sniffs at the water, his tail flicking. Watches as the serpent uncoils from his horn to tickle the surface with her tongue. They can't decide if they want to drink. Something superstitious holds him, still.

""

full image

@Eredhes & anyone else who would like to join! Placing this a bit before his most recent threads for timeline reasons.
(I apologize if this tagged you while it was still a draft??? why even)

* violence & magic use always permitted *
Do not tag Caneo unless you are starting a new thread you would like me to see! Thank you!

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks
Tandavi
I'll light a fire in your new shoes.
She finds him.

She finds him, as she always does: standing, staring, waiting for something (for her?) while the world coils around him, his body a porcelain picture of patience as hers has never been. She finds him as birds might find each other on migration, or fish on a reef. They enter each others orbits like heavenly bodies, stars and the sun caught for a moment in a dizzying, heady whirl, almost touching, almost close, and then gone, each veering into a slightly different path, each searching for a slightly different goal. The girl looks for herself while the boy looks for... what? Even now, she does not know, though part of her wonders if their pursuits are not the same.

She finds him standing, poised, a ghost in a scene of inky reds and green. Before him the blood-colored water falls and foams, as unnatural now as it had been that first time, when the girl stood among her peers and cast light upon a dark god. She does not like this place; she finds it eerie, stifling, and from his perch upon her haunches her silent brother agrees. Still she strides on legs of gold, avoiding roots and crushing brush, determined to find something here, some part of her she left behind in this wild wood. The pieces of her are scattered like so many parts of a tarnished puzzle, and she and her brother are treasure hunters, following a trail of memories, following a hazy map and waiting for the picture to become clear.

She recognizes him at once, his figure as familiar to her as any in this land. Her black eyes fill with him, and overflow; she can feel her body tremble as she steps into his orbit, leaving the woods behind her, casting shadows with fire and stone. She is not surprised to see him, not really; and yet at the same time there is nothing she expected less. Her ears pitch toward him, and before their proximity becomes hazardous, the girl's footsteps grow still, slate toes clinging to the edge of the red pool, not daring to touch the crimson tide. Her face is turned away from him, black eyes resting on the distant falls; her voice, though, calls out to him, dark and deep against the waves.

"A god died here," she tells her friend. "He fell through a hole into this world; and the world killed him." I remember. I was there.

At last she allows herself to bend, moonstruck face led by glittering eyes, swinging toward the boy. Her brother is already facing Caneo, his hopeful expression an echo of her own. Yet where the Fire Dancer's golden features are muted, Natraj's vulpine grin burns bright. He barks a welcome to their estranged friend, and the girl's lips curl in a sable smile; she is happy now, all at once, and it is a feeling she clings to as a stubborn tree might the edge of a cliff.

"I found you," Tandavi says; and there is teasing in her voice, a threat and a promise. Just like I always do. Just like I always will.

The girl begins to laugh.

Image Credit

[STALKER ALERT OH GOD CANEO RUN!]

o. pixel pony credit to tamme
o. permission granted to use force and magic on Tavi
o. only tag me in opening posts, please!

If he's a ghost, then what is she?

Caneo says nothing, of course. If he catches the dance of flame at the edges of his vision, he dismisses it as so much powerful memory. If he recognizes the pattern of her footfalls, he credits his imagination. How well did he know the Firedancer, after all? The way priests know the stars? She had gone. She had gone, and if he had looked, he had not found her. It wasn't lack of trying. It wasn't carelessness.

He pretends it was.

He gives her an ear, turned carefully toward the noise of an approaching body. Then, because he cannot suffer the presence of anyone without looking, Caneo recoils from the edge of the pond. He forgets the bloody glint of the waters below. His haunches coil as he balances back. His head swings slowly around. And the serpent coils back into his forelock, her tongue flickering out suspiciously. Of course, between them secrets don't exist; she knows the anomaly in his pulse as surely as she knows the sudden flash of recognition in his brain.

Tandavi.

Would he run, if he were still a boy? Caneo cannot bring himself to run, today. He turns to marble, his narrow body somehow more ethereal than ever, hewn to the narrowest of edges by maturity. In contrast, the Firedancer looks the same. And her voice is the same — the sound of smoke at midnight. If it feels the way he wanted the Dragon's Throat to feel, what does that mean?

Caneo's face narrows to match the rest of him, now a frown, as if the light hurts his eyes. He doesn't care for gods; he wants to ask, Then what made it divine? but the question coils silently around in his head. All the while, she isn't looking at him. She's far away even if she's only at another edge of the pond. And if he approaches, will she run again? And if he was happy with her, what is he when they live apart? He had nearly reached the point of forgetting. He is already becoming someone else.

A breath. When the Firedancer does look at him, his heart jumps again and the snake's head jerks between his ears. She's stiff enough to strike, her narrow coils all wound up around his horn, his ears, his forelock. And Caneo is struck by how much time has passed since the Thistle Meadow - how much has occurred. Tandavi never knew the snake. The snake knew her only as memory, as something scattered at the edges of his vision when he visited that place, when he paced through the desert, when he traveled north in search of other friends only to wound them. He feels strange, almost as if his mind is slipping out of his body; as if he perceives the scene from far away.

"Tandavi." His voice is quiet. If his expression softens at the sound of the kitsune's voice, if he leans forward into the noise of her laughter, he ought to be forgiven. He had tricked himself, once, into believing he was a whole creature around her. Now, the smile he wears is strained. "Have you been having fun somewhere without me?""

full image

@Tandavi

Do not tag Caneo unless you are starting a new thread you would like me to see! Thank you!

Tandavi
For a moment she thinks he might soften, that he might bend, that the subtle inclination of his head may continue its honey flow down his spine - but he does not, and it does not, and the girl is struck by the lack of it honesty in his porcelain face. He reflects her like a mirror: he smiles, but it is tight and without any warmth, an afterimage of her own vibrancy. Though he has always been a paler star to her ardent sun, there is something about it which bothers her today. Laughter flutters and falls on her lips, mirth replaced by curiosity, incredulity, the tensing of muscles into a frown.

Her ears flick backwards to the fox upon her back, but he offers no insight- at least, none she is willing to hear. Selfishly, silently, she wonders why there is strain in his eyes; she is hurt by the perceived slight, subtle way he draws away simply by refusing to come near. She ignores he brother's protest, his insistence that she has done the same to him, to everyone. She sees his coldness as a rejection of her warmth; his question is an accusation, though he speaks as softly as ever, and the girl's face grows almost stormy, her voice almost dark.

"Would it be wrong if I have?" she asks him softly, the crackle of embers accenting her words. She is not angry, not quite: more prying, demanding, her voice a challenge, her expression a dare. From his place on her haunches her brother starts, surprise and recognition lighting up his eyes- for in that moment Tandavi is more her mother than she has ever been, and Natraj is afraid to tell her so. He leaps from her copper hide, whining, inching toward Caneo in an attempt to ease the tension, to bridge the invisible gap.

Somehow, they have yet to notice the snake.

But Natraj's actions strike a chord. Her heart beats faster, harder, a sudden rejection of easy melancholy rising in her breast. The girl is ardent as ever, though it is a different kind of boldness, not mirth but something less innocent, something that wants. She wants him to smile, wants him to laugh, wants him to want her - not her body, but her soul.

She wants him to dance with her, to melt like snow against her side- and to this end she gambols forward, her body a warm thing of edges and embers, her hair wild and luminous in the forest's murky dark, her endless eyes transfixed on Caneo's face. One step, and she stops, but their bodies are closer, his scent is stronger. She does not want to be let in past his defenses: she wants to shatter them, to leave them in ruins, smoldering and useless in her wake. For a moment she is a creature of fire, a thing possessed-

"I'd never run away from you, Caneo," she breathes- and behind her words is something else, a promise, a plea, a protestation of innocence, a reminder that they have done this already, that they are already close; a confession of something she cannot name.

Image Credit

[idk where this is coming from but I love Caneo even if Tavi's a derp]

And the scene unfolding before him, around him — involving him but somehow remote — is nothing like Caneo asked for. This blood pool is not the Thistle Meadow. He is no longer the boy. And between his ears the serpent watches, stiff as wire and coiled to spring. No, he breathes into her mind, an afterthought. Whether he guards her safety or Tandavi's, he isn't sure.

The Firedancer's voice is a challenge, but not one Caneo can answer. His ears twist so slightly back, the barest admittance of the sudden blackness rising inside of him, rising to drown him. He says nothing, but his eyes move quietly after Natraj. For an instant, between heart beats, the thought occurs: he could step on the small thing. And there would be nothing left of it; Natraj is no stronger than his own soul, part of which coils silently around his ears, ignorant of her mortality, furious on his behalf. He's glass and ash; he wants to blow away. Caneo breathes out, and he forces his gaze away. With it, his body turns slightly, too, and he regards his reflection askance in the red depths of the pool. How can he soften for her, when his body forgets softness?

An ear cocks forward once again when she approaches — but a step. Just a step. Caneo's gaze flickers back and he's almost sullen, the beauty drawn from his features by whatever tide rises within him still. "I'd never run away from you, Caneo," — and he snorts, unable to repress the sudden, vehement response. Never? parrots a very cold voice in his mind. He wants suddenly to bite Tandavi, and the urge startles him a little in its sincerity, its lack of remorse. "Never?" he says aloud, laughter slick and silver in his voice. Has he ever turned that tone on her? It means to wound, but it lies about doing so. His tail snaps like a whip, and he closes the distance between them another step. "You are always running away."

Coward, sings his heart, baring hooked fangs. It forgets he does this, too. It feels only its own pain.

full image

Tandavi
"You are always running away."

She jerks back, rigid, her entire body flinching with the cruel sting of his silver voice. He casts himself upon her like a shadow over the sun, storm clouds swallowing the light from the sky; and she shrinks, no longer ardent, no longer bright, her brilliance dimmed by the force of his wrath. She remembers the terror she feels in the dark (I told you, I told you, and I told no one else), the way it enveloped her, cutting out all warmth-

-and she remembers waking up from it lost and alone, without even Natraj-

-and she remembers running, fleeing when Lace needed her most (Is that why they chased me away from his grave?)-

-and she remembers running, again, when Gaucho gave her a crown she never sought to wear-

-and she remembers his words, just moments ago, because they're echoes, repetitions, the same cruel strain she repeats to herself when she can't sleep at night-

"You are always running away."

-but it's not-

"Always running away."

-but I-

"Always."

-I didn't want to-

"Running."

-You don't understand-

"Away."

-I...-

-You...-

"You ran away, first," she whispers to the boy, her voice cold fire and hot rage, her eyes burning embers, her ears flat on her skull. Fury (with whom?) shakes her to her bones, a flaring wrath overtaking her (I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry) as she stares Caneo down, refusing to step away, refusing to yield, refusing to let the loathing and despair that rises like a tidal wave of mire within her belly reach its abyssal claws around her burning heart and swallow it, snarling and smiling, into its hungry pit.

She resists the urge to snarl back.

Instead she takes another step, rigid and coiled, knowing there is danger here, knowing he could strike, and almost wishing he would. They could touch, now, if either would unwind; if softness were possible, for either wounded child. "You left. They left. Everyone left me behind." Let him hate her- at least then her fears would be confirmed. "They left me in a world of darkness - of monsters - and when it came time for me to save the last person I loved, I ran away. Like a coward." And there it is- her secret, her shame, the thing that haunts her in the night. The reason she runs- because If I failed that time, who's to say I will not fail again?

From the floor and in her mind Natraj whines, his tails flickering agitated fire, his desperate pleas falling on deaf ears.

Fire Dancer is lit in flame, embers flickering uproariously around her body; yet all she feels is cold. Anger and hurt wage war upon her moon-slashed face; she does not notice the hot tears which sit upon her cheeks, does not feel the heaving of her sides, the way her tail lashes, the twitching of her left flank as she glares upon Caneo with the force of all she is. She notices, at last, the snake which coils, infuriated, around his horn - and while normally this would cause the girl no small delight, she sees it now as another slight, a sting, a slap- Of course. He doesn't need me anymore. Again comes her brother's howled plea, urging her to calm, to reconsider- and again, it goes unheeded.

The mire monster in her belly grins. It can taste victory on its putrid tongue.

As abruptly as it rose, the girl's fury fades. What is the point? What did she expect? That he would be her hero, her stalwart stone in the storm of her soul, the one who forgave her, when she could not forgive herself? He is not alone anymore- why would he need her?

"You're right. I'm always running. But I never ran away from you," Her dark eyes are honest, tired, the flicker of a mirthless smile drawn across her narrow face. "I will, though, if you want me to." Her alto voice is settled smoke, calm black water, accusing, resigned. Hate me, it dares; Forgive me, it begs; Love me, it whispers, and knows he never will.

Image Credit

Is it a mistake, if he means it?

The power to douse flame was never his, and yet from his words she recoils as one recoils from a blow. Is it satisfaction he feels? His face lets nothing go; his eyes are empty, cold as they would be if they held a stranger in their depths. But that's an old trick; Caneo's heart thumps crookedly into his ribs, as if it means to do something after all, or as if it is shearing in two. She's never looked at him that way. The boy, the past him, dead with wandering and dying still, aches that she should look at him that way. (weren't we friends?)

Weren't they supposed to protect each other?

It's too late, he thinks, as Tandavi breaks in front of him and he cannot move to apologize. "You ran away first," she says, and his tail twitches. His head tilts; something like laughter, or like a warning, spasms through the fine lines of his face. And she is coming closer, and they're both electric, snarling knots of pain and loneliness drawn tighter by each other (wouldn't the world be easier if he was someone else's fault?). When she keeps talking, when she stands near enough to cut or to caress, he smells the tension of her skin but he can't bring himself to reach out either way. He's watching, watching as if he's someone else miles away and the body is nothing — the body is the fabrication. What is it even meant to say? What can the jaws work out that means anything, at all? "Maybe you are," he says quietly (coward). It's unnecessary but he cannot stop, as if the violence in him chooses now to overflow and she is the sole available target.

He might do something else, but before his body can move, before he can conjure anything to match the wild dance of light around her sun-kissed body, they — the both of them — notice the snake. Or maybe it's Tandavi who sees the snake, and Caneo who sees it for an instant through her eyes, this foreign thing between them which has replaced loneliness, has taken her place (nearest his heart) and squeezed her out. And if it's surprise on his face, surprise and not malice, that is true.

Now, Tandavi dims.

Again she dims, and it's his fault. Caneo's mouth opens, shuts again. On his brow, softening a bit, the tiny serpent wends down and tilts one black eye in the girl's direction. She feels addressed, more directly than she's ever been, before. Curiosity replaces animosity as Caneo's heart churns in his breast, an ugly and confusing thing. The snake doesn't understand it. She doesn't understand the Fire Dancer, either, but she doesn't need to. She draws slowly forward, anyway, as the girl draws back. And Caneo turns away.

He doesn't know what he wants.

To be someone else is impossible, now. He doesn't look at Tandavi when she offers to leave. Because he's never wanted her to leave and yet he cannot keep from being angry with her, angry now she's here, afraid she will leave again or he will and —

It may not be worth it. Any of it.

"Her name is Ophiria," he says, his voice a stranger's and not his own at all. It's quiet, dry, and just this side of unsteady. Does it matter if that's a secret? Does it matter if he's told no one yet, decided on it never until this moment, this thing — Ophiria. Her tongue flickers out at the sound of her name, something danced around and dreamt of but never really acknowledged until here, his heart beating an unsteady cadence and his thoughts all fluttering like frightened doves. No, do not leave, he thinks — he will not say. He feels tired, suddenly.

"I found her. I was looking for you." Now he does draw up enough to stare at her, still hard around the eyes, still unable to soften from whatever the desert built him into, but no longer attempting to push her away.

full image

Tandavi
Maybe you are.

She winces, pain an ugly smear on her moon-slashed face. Her heart lays between them, vulnerable and exposed- and Caneo's cloven hooves hover at its apex, a casual threat of violence quivering in his quiet voice. When did you grow so cruel? she wonders, disbelief blooming red, a twisting knife lodged in her gut. Did she do this, create a monster from a friend, run so far and so fast that he was left to wither, to shrink, to become something less than she knows him to be? Has she left another shadow, another demon in her wake? She wants to shout, to shake him, to cry; she wants to slap him for the ache in her belly; she wants to embrace him, to thaw away the collection of jagged crystals that have frozen around Caneo's core.

She stares at him, incensed and inflamed, the fire in her aching to arch out to him, to consume them both in its merciless path. She stares at him and she is staring at Lace, at Hototo, at her mother and Mirage, at everyone she has ever loved and lost. She sees them all in his distant eyes, each one a fragmented mirror of the girl's sins; is this her karma, her curse? Will Caneo, too, become nothing but a shard of glass in another disappointed gaze?

Fire Dancer's fury grows still; her flames turn to ash upon her tongue. He sees her see the snake; she knows this because he turns away as she draws back, his actions a mocking mirror of her own. It hurts, almost as much as his words- almost as much as her own cruel mind. Is this what they are destined to be: mirrors of each other, infinitely distant and infinitely sad? Travelers on their own set, planar paths, only able to intersect once before physics and fate draw them away, never again to meet? Perhaps they do not orbit, as she thought - perhaps, instead, they cannot orbit. Perhaps she is destined to be naught but a sun, surrounded by beings she can see but not touch.

Perhaps she is doomed to burn all who come too close.

He draws the snake away from her, and the girl swallows her hurt, her curiosity, but holds her mirthless smile. So this is his decision, to hide away his heart- and though she understands this, anticipated it even, that does not lessen the stabbing in her chest. The pain is sharp, like glass in her throat; she wants to accuse him of betrayal, but her tongue is lead behind inky lips. Was I nothing to you? her eyes demand, but it is a weak accusation; her gaze is directed at the ground. There is no weight behind her blame, only doubt, despair, the exhaustion of a child who has failed too many times, and no longer knows how to succeed.

She came here to find the pieces of herself, but all she has are tears.

Her body tenses, preparing to leave (though her hooves remain reluctant and her brother screams stay). Her eyes remain upon the ground, head low, searching for words she will not find; she steels herself against his inevitable dismissal, ready to be sliced again by the crystals on his lips. Her ears flick back as he speaks, reflexively, and then dart forward in abject surprise. Instead of dismissal he offers a name, and though it is little, it is enough. Copper child's heart beats again, a tentative flutter in the hollow of her chest.

"Ophiria?" the Fire Dancer repeats. A pause; a breath; an honest remark: "That's beautiful." She steals a sidelong glance at the boy, carefully shielded by the curtain of her forelock, the shade of her lashes. She is afraid to look too directly, afraid to even move, lest he prove to be nothing but a mirage, vanishing in the light.

He is not as afraid, though, and the weight of her stare bores into her, cruel and uncompromising. She inhales sharply against his words, closing her own onyx eyes. She tries to remember the way they were, the way he looked on a Frostfall night; she wishes she could turn back time, to recoil and regress back to that point and a million before it, but the dream is fruitless; she is here.

She turns herself upon him, her narrow features weary, dim in the murky light. Even now, she cannot meet his eyes; instead her gaze traces the snake, following its movements, the rigid fluidity of its form, as though she expects to decipher some secret from the pattern of its scales. "Why?" she asks him hollowly, her voice a breath between silken lips. Why do they come back, if only to tell her of her faults? Why look, if he was so determined to reject what he found? Is it only to be here, to do this, to watch what he could bring her to and bask in the power of it, the sight of her crumbling esteem, her cracking soul? To parade before her what she has created with her failure, her cowardice, her neglect? To remind her of the failings she already knows, already reflects on every day?

"I'm sorry, Caneo," she whispers to the boy, to herself, to the fox who curls at her golden hocks, wishing he could absorb and abscond with even half of her guilt.

Image Credit

He never promised to be kind. Maybe Caneo never learned how; he might use that as an excuse. But he's still angry with her. It's a simmering rage, and the sight of her injury fuels it because she ran away and he resented it and now his resentment hurts? It should; it should, and he can't quite let that go. We were friends, he wants to say. If things had gone differently, if he hadn't been already crooked and she hadn't been injured by the things before him.... Maybe they wouldn't hurt each other. Maybe he would be happy.

He's far away as he regards her; far away, though if he reached out he might just manage to touch her, still. He no longer really wants to. And her voice is soft, riddled with the same hurt clutching at his heart, and he can't fix either of them. One of his ears twitches as the snake curls around it, watching. She's had very little opinion on any of this, save to side with him in a show of blind survivalism. She doesn't understand; she's curious now, though, and her forked tongue is pink against the dark scales of her face, the huge ink wells she has for eyes. From the corner of Caneo's vision, she's terribly small. He glances at her, and at the Fire Dancer once more. "It's from a story," he says quietly, almost sullen. He doesn't want to feel — this — crashing in his chest.

Her next question is more difficult. More, because he never posed it to himself. Why look for her? Why breathe? Why study the far lights of the stars? Because his life is not his life without her; because he is not him without the flickering light of friendship she had offered him long ago, when he was lonely and so stupid when it came to this teeming world. Caneo frowns, most of his facades fallen away so that emotion ghosts across his face the way reflections race beneath glass. "You told me to." He blinks, confused more than anything else as he recalls their last meeting, the tenor of her voice. It was the last thing she'd said, and he'd held it. Of course he had. "We were supposed to stick together," he adds, but the failure there is not entirely her fault. Hadn't he, after all, gone away? If he's angry still, it's being overtaken by exhaustion.

Silence greets her last apology for a long time, but it's a softer silence than before. His regard is wary (so prepared to pull and run) as if he never learned how to do anything else. After how many years? Sorry. But he can't bring himself to be sorry, to be small again, weak and easily torn open. Is it so dangerous, if she's the only one here? If the snake already threads her way between his ribs...? If only he were whimsical and bright again. Dreaming and naive again. If he could trust himself to feel about Tandavi the same way he once felt about the moon. Always, fear moves in him like disease. "It's okay," he sighs, a little too late. There's some shadow of the boy in him still; the boy isn't easy to kill. "I went away before, too. I hate this place, but.... I missed you." Caneo frowns, sincere and irritated and on edge, always on edge, prepared to have everything he gives up turned against him.

full image

Tandavi
Warm surprise flashes across the curves and lines of her features; she remembers saying it, of course she does, but any expectation that he would recall, that he would hold on to her words with any sort of sincerity or commitment... it simply had not existed outside the beautiful bubble of that night. She looks upon the boy with confusion and wonder, momentarily distracted from her adamant desire to avoid his eyes. She imagines him looking for her, seeking her out among the desert sands, those blue eyes peering through starry skies in an attempt to capture fire. Had his thoughts followed the same path as hers- for she had never stopped looking for him, either. She looked for everyone she loved.

It's just that, over time, her looking had grown passive, cautious- copper child had given up on love looking back.

Something hot rises on her spine; it squeezes around her lungs, holding her in its vice-like grip until she exhales, "Oh."

Silence stretches between them once more, hot and unsteady, thin and fragile as crafted glass. Fire Dancer regards her friend, heart beating an unsteady melody against hollow ribs - prat-a-tat, prat-a-tat - black eyes regarding him with patient expectation, a child awaiting the newest revelation about the world. Even the kitsune is quiet, his distress quelled for the moment being, though he remains uncertain, on edge. He is deeply curious about the snake that coils around Caneo's horn- he has never met a companion who is also food; he wonders if she is afraid of them, the way she hangs back, a visual representation of the stallion's hesitancy.

The silence stretches just too long, and the girl fears it will never end- until it does, though the climax is lackluster, weary. Two-toned ears flip to catch Caneo's sigh; the girl is a statue locked in his mouth, afraid to move lest he crush her between his teeth. He frowns as he confesses, three words that make her heart skip, though there is irritation in the beat. I missed you he says, and she wants to answer why?, to demand a reason, a deeper glance into the guarded mysteries of the boy's soul. She sees a little of it, a little of him, peering out from between the frozen crystals that he has become; she yearns to reach out and tear the stone away, the weariness, the months and years- to reach within him and grab that boy who was so in love with the moon, and this time, never let him go.

Carefully, cautiously, the girl drifts forward, her narrow body that much closer to his. She could almost reach him, were she to strain and stretch; instead she lowers her neck and tilts her head, peering at the boy through hooded eyes. She is not fully convinced of his decision to stay, but she is hopeful. "I missed you, too- " and with this she does extend, taking a chance and searching with her lips for for his pale cheek, the soft curve of it, though she knows she cannot reach without his help.

"I'm glad you kept looking," the girl confesses, her voice smoke in the space between them, sincere with laughter and quiet relief. She cannot help it; she burns bright around him, a bonfire beneath his night of stars. "I didn't mean to be so hard to find."

Image Credit

There's a moment — thin as spun glass — where Tandavi changes. He hears it in the quiet exhale, the smoke and sorrow of her voice. And Caneo, who does not know her doubt, who forgets everything but not his friends, his friend, whose light touched his heart when he was young still, soft still, and gentle enough to cup hands around it, does not understand that she fears he will forget her. Fears he will run from her — hate her. Because he can't. He may be angry, but hate is a foreign language when it comes to the way they speak, and the moment her expression changes, the moment the air changes between them, muscles he didn't know were clenched all relax.

"I missed you too —" is a better apology than the apology. It's what he wanted, maybe, when he was angry with her in the first place. He yearns so terribly to be known, even while he's running away — to be caught and not cornered, to be understood without judgment. Perhaps she wants the same thing. Perhaps she's braver than he is, giving him her fears, waiting for him to turn them all against her, as he curls up and curls up and curls up —

A single note of laughter rings in his chest as Caneo brings his face up. It's quick, quick as the snake is at times, though he presses his nose almost gently to hers, the gap between them so small it might not exist, the touch itself so light it might not, either. She is warm; she is every note the sun ever sang rewritten into softness, into kindness. Something in him pushes forward (closer) and he clamps down on it, choking it, until he doesn't feel it anymore. Quickly Caneo withdraws again, his head tilted and something veiled in his eyes. "Where are you going after this, Tandavi?" It's a strange thing, how he uses her name now. It means something but he isn't very clear about what. Just looks at her, head tilted, not quite kind but probably more like himself.

"Will I have to find you again?"

full image