the Rift

[PRIVATE] Phantom Limb

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen
The Clovenheart

Above, the night stretched on. In the thick woods Ashamin could not see the stars; even this small bit further south, he could not see the Aurora. It was hard to tell himself that he didn't miss anything about the Aurora Basin, and so he did not. It simply wasn't true.

He missed the chill of the wind at night—the chill of the wind in the afternoon, almost always just as biting. He missed the pine forest where he had met Zandora, and the hot springs that had provided comfort to so many. Ashamin even missed Deimos. There had been something heartbreaking about saying such a short goodbye to the reaper. There had been something strange about how they'd never really talked about their moment of almost death.

And the Clovenheart could not forget what the herd had taught him, how it had watched him change. The Aurora Basin, though, had not changed. Somehow, Ashamin the Clovenheart did not think it ever would. It was an ironic twist, a wicked thing for the herd guarded by Time's Lord and God to be forever frozen in it.

Now, in an unfamiliar night but far from the burdens of static, Ashamin snorted and walked on. His companions wove around him, sometimes in front of but more often behind him. Occasionally Rakt summoned tenuous spirits and urged them to press their starlit coats to Ashamin's sides, but the Clovenheart was neither appreciative nor amused. After one or two more times of having his steps quickened he flashed his neck back and snapped his teeth at The Blood.

No, he was not brimming with patience that night. His walk took him away from his current of frustration (his puzzling gift from the Moon Goddess) but no closer to the sky he so craved. He was walking away from the Blood Falls and, vaguely, towards Helovia's heart but had not made much progress at all with his companions tripping him up. But no, he needed to get to the Heart eventually, for it was there that he thought he'd once before seen the words carved into his antlers.

Was there really any other way to decipher them but go to the source? Maybe, if he had thought back far enough, he would realize that it was not a helovian language at all but rather one from his own homeland—one etched into the trees by the rutting deer that had watched over him in twilight. For now, though, the knowledge was still lost to him and his senses were dulled. So dulled that he didn't even notice there was someone else in the Falls' woods.

"Talk?"
ashamin, lochan, & rakt
image credits

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Phantom Posts: 49
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 10 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
ali

If there was one thing Phantom was good at in her life it was disappearing and remaining hidden until she wanted to be found. That was exactly what she'd done when she decided that she no longer wanted to be a part of the Aurora Basin herd. She slipped away unnoticed and never looked back. She didn't miss the Basin in the least. Really, she hadn't been there long enough to develop any kind of bond with anyone, but then again she was far from sentimental. She didn't feel the cold air against her skin and long for the Basin. She didn't see flashes of other unicorns and think about anyone in particular that she'd left behind. She didn't miss anyone. Sometimes she didn't know if it was a curse or a blessing to be so unattached to everything and everyone.

Phantom lifted her head and glanced toward the night sky. Overhead the moon shone brightly and the stars twinkled, but they mattered little to the pale mare. She had not been told stories growing up about how the moon and stars came to be, nor had she been told any tales about loved ones looking down from the stars. She did not look to them for guidance as some who worshiped gods did. To her, they simply were. They just existed. They burned brightly in the night sky until they just didn't anymore and no one noticed. No one missed them. They just disappeared and the life moved ever onward.

Her attention was drawn away from the night sky by the rustling of someone moving through the forest. She paused for a moment, taking her time to decide if she wanted to have a glimpse of who it was or just let them continue on their way, none the wiser that she was there with them. Through the trees she caught a glimpse of white and lights that made her ears tilt forward. She was not one that was often driven by curiosity, but the night was young and she was not tired, so she moved forward.

Rather than follow behind the trio like a creeper she opted to head them off, so that she would be meeting the unknown face to face. What she did not expect was that she would know the stallion in the woods with her. She stepped out ahead of Ashamin and his companions, her head tilting as she took in his appearance. He had changed since she'd found him on the outskirts of the Basin and invited him to her cave so he would not freeze, but she knew his face. His horn had been his most distinguishing feature... it was unforgettable. The pale mare paused for a moment as she searched her memory for a name until she finally found one. "Ashamin."

"."

Phantom

so scatter all my ashes when i'm dead
and destroy every legend in my head

The Clovenheart

Ashamin didn't expect her, either. How could he? She was a distant memory, a figment from a time when he was something else entirely. When Ashamin had met her he had been weak--afraid of the wolves in the woods and fiercely denying he needed assistance until it became impossible to do so.

Now, so much later, he was surprised to find that she actually existed. Phantom was someone Ashamin had not forgotten but thought that maybe he had dreamed. She had existed in passing, and though he remembered reaching forth to offer her his touch, he couldn't remember her touching him back. Had she passed through him, or never been there at all?

Her appearance again, now, either meant that she was real or he was haunted. The Clovenheart wasn't sure which possibility was more likely. He certainly had much to be haunted by, and perhaps the spectre of a figure from his past was some sort of emotional trigger, a reminder that he was no longer the innocent stag he'd once been. No, now he had killed, in some way at least, and he was stained with the blood of a god.

Phantom had never seen him like this; would she ever seem him as he had been, again? And if she did, he had to hold onto her. Ashamin's dark eyes grew wide and frenzied, and he chilled. His body was stuck, his figure frozen in something like fear. It was more desperation, though. If Phantom thought of him as that young colt, that warm thing, then he needed her by him. He needed someone who remembered the kindness that had once possessed him entirely, before it had been tarnished by the twin swords of rage and blood.

"I never thought I'd see you again," he said in awe when at last he could move his lips. And he didn't know why that was, why he had expected her to die out like the last vestiges of his innocence, but it was true. Perhaps he didn't think he deserved to.

He would have remained silent for longer, would have stared eternally, if not for Lochan. The little eye scraped his remaining antler along his bonded's flank, urging him to step forward, and so Ashamin did. He offered his cheek as before but felt strange--shy, as if her presence returned him to who he was. But no, it wasn't so. His voice was deeper, his pelt riddled with subtle and gaping scars alike.

"How have you fared, Phantom?" the Clovenheart asked then, if only because he knew not what else he could say.

""
ashamin, lochan, & rakt
image credits

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.

ali

Of course Phantom remembered Ashamin as the small, frightened colt that she'd found huddled in the snow on the borders of the Basin. Of course she remembered the innocent air he had about him, and the soft, hesitant way that he'd spoken. She'd not seen him since and first impressions seemed to stick the most. She'd thought him utterly foolish for laying in the snow and trying to deny her offer of shelter. And she'd thought him too trusting and friendly when he accepted her offer without knowing her. She'd thought that life would beat him down and judgingg from the scars that littered his pelt she had been right. But he was different now, she couldn't deny that. Rather than youth, innocence, and hope on his face she saw weariness that could only come from experience. Still, even looking at him and seeing him as he was standing in front of her she still remembered him as he had been when she'd found him.

Phantom simply stared when the stallion said that he hadn't expected to see her again. She was not surprised by his admission as she'd heard it time and again in a life she'd lead before Helovia. She had not been dubbed Phantom simply because she was white"I'm here now." She finally responded mostly because she didn't know what else to say and in her experience individuals often expected a response.

Her crimson eyes shifted from Ashamin's form to the deer that clung to his sides like a foal to its mother. "Those are new." She commented. "You didn't have them before. What are they?" Her eyes narrowed a bit as one of the deer scraped its antlers across Ashamin's flank and ushered him closer. The smaller stallion offered his cheek and she remembered a time back in her cave in the Basin when he'd done the same. Had she even touched him? Or had she ignored him and left the cave to wander or had she slept? She couldn't remember and she hesitated because weren't touches often reserved for friends? Did he consider her a friend because she'd offered him a home? Or was he, deep down and despite his outward appearance, still the same pure soul she'd found slowly freezing?

The pale mare blinked then finally stepped forward, her neck stretching as she reached to brush her muzzle against Ashamin's cheek. Their flesh had only barely touched, a ghost of a touch when she pulled back, snorting softly. "Well enough." She replied to his question. "Better than you, it would seem." She said, looking pointedly at one of Ashamin's more pronounced scars.

"."

Phantom

The Clovenheart

I'm here now.

She was, of course, as taciturn as ever. The clovenheart did not spare a frown on her tone, nor did he expect something softer out of the mare. Just because he had changed didn't mean he expected others to do the same, even if it might advance them. And she was right, after all; she was here now. Ashamin supposed that, after all that he'd been through, that was really what matters. Perhaps all this time when he'd been training and reinventing himself--some days as someone better, some days as someone worse--Phantom had been right there, barely moving between distant planes. In all that time Ashamin had been putting himself at the center of attention, Phantom had been operating liminally, staying just out of sight. Maybe she'd been smarter that way--better off, at least.

Ashamin snorted when she referenced his two companions, and found himself shaken out of the contemplation of their differences. "Those" looked up at her, Lochan with his eyes wide and watching, Rakt with his gold stones narrowed and almost cutting. Neither appreciated being referred to so bluntly.

"These are my companions, Lochan and Rakt," Ashamin said with his cheek still bare and awaiting her touch. He flickered his gaze from one to the other as he spoke their names; "they are cerndyr, though both wildly different in character." His long tail curled and slapped the earth when he went silent, if only so that he would not have to suffer through quiet with her. Rakt, sensing Ashamin's unease, lowed faintly and irritably.

When Phantom accepted his greeting Ashamin was visibly relieved. His shoulders, which he had not realized were tensed, relaxed. His neck contracted and lifted as his head returned to face her fully and from farther away. She had been cold, her skin not so much unwelcome as it was unexpected. She'd almost felt dead.

"I've been better than I might seem," the Clovenheart countered quickly, a bit of confidence flaring up. "I've earned these scars fighting kings and gods, and I've won far more times than I've lost. I don't consider that to be faring ill," he said to clarify. He was proud of what he'd done, for the most part anyway. He'd earned no visible scars from his more cruel encounters, they haunted him in other ways. Ways like dreams of dead children at night, crying out in a rhythm that matched a heartbeat. Like echoes of taunts in his head.

Like the inability to look his own reflection without watching dismay fall across his features.

"But I'm glad to hear you're well, all the same. Have you left the Basin as well? I hadn't seen you there for some time, when I said my last goodbyes," Ashamin said abruptly, trying to change the subject in his own head. He looked out over the woods with dark eyes, and swiveled his large ears to hear the distant crashing of the blood falls. Anything to distract, to forget, to hide from his own mistakes.

""
ashamin, lochan, & rakt
image credits

ali

For as long as she'd been in Helovia she was still not very accustomed to the individuals there having companions. She didn't know exactly how it worked and she hadn't ever bothered to ask because it never truly mattered to her because she didn't want one. Phantom studied the two cerndyr as Ashamin gave a very brief statement about them being wildly different in character. It was a conclusion she could have come to on her own based solely on the way each was looking at her. One was wide eyed and almost curious looking, while the other appeared far more reserved and judging.

Her head tilted slightly as Ashamin spoke up in response to her comment about how he seemed to be faring. A soft snort passed through Phantom's nostrils as he claimed to have fought kings and gods. "I see."  She said in return. "You've come a long way from being the scared colt I found on the borders of the Basin."  But was she impressed that he had thrown himself into battle or was she disappointed that he'd tainted the innocence she'd seen in him that made him pure and refreshing in a world that was so tainted by violence and hatred? Whatever it was she was feeling, it did not really matter because she was truly in no position to voice her opinion to Ashamin.

"Have you left the Basin as well? I hadn't seen you there for some time, when I said my last goodbyes."

"I left the Basin when they helped the World's Edge invade the Hidden Falls."  The pale mare responded. "I watched Midas' death, I helped block Essetia's escape and watched her breakdown over his death." She clarified because she wasn't sure if Ashamin had been present for either incident. She remembered wanting a purpose in the Basin, but she also remembered the sick feeling in her stomach as the scent of charred flesh burned her nostrils and the cries of grief rang in her ears. It was the same scents and sounds that she'd wanted to leave behind in Dorngarrow. It was the same reasons she'd wanted to reinvent herself, to find a new life in a new land and she'd been falling into the same lifestyle she'd had before.

Why did you leave the Basin, Ashamin?" 

"." 

Phantom

The Clovenheart

When Phantom told Ashamin that he had changed, he wasn't surprised. He may have been thick about some things, but even he knew he was different. When Ashamin had first arrived at the borders he wouldn't have had the guts to step into the battlefield, let alone the skill to win. He knew enough of the Gods now to know that they needn't be worshipped, for their own immortal talents were enough to amuse themselves. But Ashamin knew, too, that they could be killed, and that their pride could be injured by the mere force of mortals. That, if nothing else, was valuable knowledge.

Had the Clovenheart been thinking about his failures, too, he would have remembered how he had shattered friendships with Zandora and Ki'irha, and the earthen mare that had led his morality astray. But these were not thoughts to be preoccupied with in the company of an old friend, even if she wasn't a particularly friendly one.

"I can't say the same of you," the Clovenheart told her frankly. What good would it be to lie? Besides, he liked her the way she always was. And it was good to know that not everything was so easily impressed upon by the world--that some remained stalwart in their convictions and ways, even if all that meant was staying standoffish. "But, Phantom, I should hope you will consider that a compliment," Ashamin added with a sigh and a half smile. It was as if his body knew he needed to prepare for what was coming next.

When the mare told him of the Aurora Basin's invasion he bristled. It wasn't something he'd ever heard of, or at least not in such detail. His very tail stiffened, which was awkward looking given its absurd length. The thing, ugly as it was regardless of its position, looked best when hanging limp. Limp like the bodies of the dead slain, apparently, by his herdmates.

"I'm... sorry, I never knew. That was before my time. It's amazing how well the Basin can keep its dirty secrets hidden, even from their own haruspex," Ashamin said with a frown as he remembered Rikyn's racist diatribe. Accepting Zahra in the herd had been his way of forcing it to move forward, but the fact that it was rooted in such a foul past had been disappointing in the first place, to say the least.

As for why he had left... He struggled with that idea himself, especially given the family he had left behind. Still, the painted buck would have to come up with an answer. Worried they would hear again the same spiel, his two companions turned and wandered away, still staying close but distancing themselves from Ashamin.

"I left to forge my own path. The herd wanted a version of me that no longer existed, and they wanted that... past self to tend their wounds most when I was struggling unnoticed." He looked after his companions, not sure what Phantom would think, before adding in an honest joke: "well, that and I was sick of the Spark God's... shit." He would have chuckled then if his mind weren't so preoccupied with Phantom's talk of war--would have laughed if it weren't all so true. Still, though, it felt strange to curse so quickly like that. He swallowed his tongue for a moment before clearing his throat, and nickering kindly.

"Rhea, she left the Basin as well. The two of us are gathering a group of outcasts whom we can trust to be loyal, and we're trying to learn from each other. If you'd like, Phantom, you could join us," Ashamin offered without really thinking. He knew he would need to meet again with Rhea soon, and he had a feeling the two mares' similar personalities would be interesting to see in a clearing together.

But as for Phantom alone? Well, he didn't know if she would want to learn. Maybe she wouldn't even want to teach. Maybe she would desire no loyalties other than her own. Still, the Clovenheart wanted the ghost on his side.

""
ashamin, lochan, & rakt
image credits

ali

"I can't say the same of you."

Phantom was unsure of whether or not the statement was meant as an insult or a compliment, so she simply let it be. If he believed that she had gone unchanged in her time in Helovia that was simply his observation based on only a few minutes and a few tidbits of conversation. Then, as she was contemplating what he'd said, he told her that he hoped she'd take his observation as a compliment. She nodded her head in acceptance of his statement and request. "It takes far more than that to offend me, Ashamin." the pale mare replied

The change in Ashamin's demeanor as she mentioned the invastion and her subsequent abandonment of the Basin did not go unnoticed by Phantom. Her head tilted to the left slightly as she observed the physical change that the stallion was undergoing. Was he angry because he supported the invasion? Was he angry because she left over what he might conceive as something minimal? Or was he angry because he had not supported the invasion in the first place? Her answer came shortly in the form of an apology and an explanation that he hadn't known about the Basin's dirty little secret. "Every herd has its secrets." She said, her voice even. "There is bad in every herd, not just the Basin, though I've not heard much of them since I took my leave." 

She was quiet and listened intently as he began to explain why he had left the Basin. It struck her, at first, that his reasons were a touch selfish, but she did understand. Time and experiences tended to change everyone, and sometimes those changes were for the better, sometimes for the worse. It was when you changed for the worse that you tended to struggle the most with what you were becoming. Sometimes as you changed you no longer fit in where you used to and you had to forge a new path. This speculation raised questions in the pale mare and, naturally, she asked. "Did you not like what you were beciming?"

And he was sick of the Time God's shit.

Phantom's head tilted slightly more and she raised a brow as she watched Ashamin, wanting him to continue on that train of thought. When he didn't she prompted him. "What 'sihit' might that be?"

But he was on with another train of thought and whether or not he'd even heard or would acknowledge her question mattered little at the moment. He was already talking about another mare, who Phantom did not know, that had left the Basin and how they had formed a group of outcasts together. At the end he extended an invitation to her, but she did not accept right away. While she liked to have a purpose and had, before, followed blindly behind anyone who would grant her one, she was learning. She would not follow blindly any longer. "What is the purpose of this group? Is it simply learning?"

"."

Phantom

The Clovenheart

Phantom unexpectedly asked more complex questions than most. She was not a mare to mince words, and conversations held with her were far from empty as a result. Ashamin found himself searching himself for better answers than the ones he might offer up to others in passing. It was not that Phantom meant more to him than others with whom he talked, but simply that he didn't expect her to believe anything but the complete truth. As if he could lie to anyone but himself.

"After a certain amount of time living by someone else's word, whether that be a God or a Lord, I don't think anyone likes who they become," Ashamin decided upon, letting the statement answer both of her questions before leaving the matter at that. Her interest in his offer to join the Unbound was more familiar territory, and he selfishly took the opportunity to tread upon it.

"We learn and we teach, but no, that is not our sole purpose. The idea was borne out of a desire to maintain independence while still being able to have loyalty for those that chose to count themselves among us. And since Rhea and I are both warriors of some sort, we value one's ability to defend themselves and their allies using whatever skills they possess, on or off the battlefield," Ashamin explained. He could not picture Phantom physically fighting tooth and nail for what she believed in, but he had no doubt that she could maneuver her way around any situation to make herself heard. That perseverance was valued.

""
ashamin, lochan, & rakt
image credits

ali

"After a certain amount of time living by someone else's word, whether that be a God or a Lord, I don't think anyone likes who they become,"

Ashamin couldn't possibly understand how close to home his words hit Phantom. Growing up in Dorngarrow she'd lived under the rule of her father, allowed him to mold her into what she was. She'd followed his orders exactly and had become a murderer for him, a mindless soldier who had never questioned her orders. "I understand." She said. "Its the same reason I left my home and came here.." Fortunately, for her, she had noticed herself falling back into the same patterns and habits in the Basin and had left.

He dove into describing the group that he'd offered her entrance into rather quickly and Phantom knew well enough that he did not want to speak any farther of his time in the Basin or of the Time God. She'd had no intention of questioning him any farther on something he didn't want to talk about, but his eagerness to engage in other conversation only cemented the fact that he did not know her and that he could not be considered a friend. At least not yet.

"What do you do with what you learn?" Phantom asked as he explained what the group did. Learning and teaching were useful, but how useful could they be if they were limited to learning and teaching only within the group? There was a limit to how much knowledge a single horse held and unless he intended on learning from others, outsiders, he would reach the limit quickly.

There was also fighting. Defending oneself and allies, as Ashamin had put it. She could handle herself in a fight, but it was something from her past life that she actively avoided because she didn't want to end anymore lives. Just as there was a limit to how much knowledge one horse could hold there was a limit to how much blood she could tolerate on her hooves. She still had a hard time seeing him as a fighter because she remembered him so clearly as being small and meek. "And where do you think I would fit into your group?"

"."

Phantom

The Clovenheart

Ashamin nodded when she explained that she shared his motives for changing his ways, for leaving behind one life for another. There was a soft, shared moment of quiet compassion that followed. Phantom had asked questions, questions Ashamin knew the answer to, but it was more important to him that silence rest between them for its due time. Absence had its own things to say, its own contributions. Though many would accuse the Clovenheart of being overly talkative and employing rather purple speech, he knew, too, when to let the air overtake his voice.

The silence was solemnity, a memorial for things lost. And whether Phantom understood that to be his intention, that was how he felt. Ashamin waited a few more moments before looking back up at her, before truly considering the wise points she had risen. Yes, if Phantom agreed it would certainly be good to have a questioning but reasoned soul like hers around.

"Part of my vision, anyway, is to help those new to this land. Many visit the threshold with only the sole purpose of growing their herd’s numbers, but given that the Unbound live outside of this structure we need not do the same. I…" he paused again, considering who he was before. At this his two companions adopted a sort of quizzical expression, for neither had known him in his weakest time. "Well, you know how I was. I arrived in this land scared and alone, and knowing little of its intricacies. Not all who join the Unbound or follow us deeper into Helovia stay with us," Ashamin said, thinking of Ryouta and Hasovir. "We serve as teachers to others outside our numbers, as ambassadors. We forge allies across helovia, even with those who do not bear our name," Ashamin explained, his brow furrowing as he realized that the Unbound was, in many ways, a larger thing than he had before imagined.

And as for the question of Phantom’s own role… he nodded, as if agreeing with something no one had said. "Should you choose to join us, I believe your knowledge of Helovia and attention to detail would suit you well to the ranks of Absolver or Artificer—our scholar and crafter ranks," he said, though the former seemed the best suited. "All in the Unbound choose two disciplines, a primary to teach and a secondary to learn. Whatever you decide, you would be welcome," he concluded at last before lowering his head and waiting for Phantom’s response.

""
ashamin, lochan, & rakt
image credits