the Rift

[OPEN] nowhere to go

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks

Tandavi</style>
i'll light a fire in your new shoes</style>

There is something in the air here, a strangeness, foreign, dark and dreary- yet sometimes glittering of déjà vu, like dust motes in a sunbeam. Memories. Dreams. Ghosts. Try to touch them and they may as well not exist, yet they lay upon her skin like kisses, each one a loving blow from the ten-ton weight of history. She has returned home, but it is a home belonging to a different her, a younger her- and she wonders if this her could possibly find a place here, in a world where she so clearly does not belong.

She swallows, for she fears this may be true. Perhaps the World’s Edge is too changed, too thoroughly scrubbed clean of its sordid past, for any memory of the girl to remain. But if she cannot find herself here, in this place, then where?

She hesitates, halfway between the glass wall (something else I do not know) and escape. She has been lost for so long. Does she really think the Edge will remember her? That she will remember it?
I’m afraid
, she confides to the fox who rests astride her back; and the kitsune rubs against her, his presence a warmth in her troubled mind. So am I, he tells her. But if not now, when?

Tightness rises in her throat, and something else, too. In the moonlight her body moves, a careful stride followed by one more, and one again. If not now, when? She repeats his words like a mantra, lets them fill her blood and fuel her bones. If not now, when? Her hooves move faster, sinew pulling harder. If not now, when?

I am finally going home.

On the trail of the wall of glass, the Fire Dancer runs. The girl stands out brightly against the eerie, muted tones of her surroundings. Wreathed in flickering embers and glowing stones, copper child is a bolt of fire, a copper wraith in a silver sea. It is apparent to anyone who looks that she does not possibly belong in these woods - and yet she does, for upon her face is the Moon’s crescent mark, obscured as it may be by the tangle of braids which hangs from her crown. She runs, and the light runs with her; she runs until her sides are heaving, her mind is racing, dopamine and adrenaline spurring on her steps. She runs until she reaches the gap in the glass, nearly passes it, nearly passes it, and then-

-and then she is through, and there is nowhere to go but forward.

Talk talk talk.

image by tambako @ flickr.com</style>

o. pixel pony credit to tamme
o. permission granted to use force and magic on Tavi
o. only tag me in opening posts, please!

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

we heal with love

Far from patrolling the border for newcomers - that was the King’s hobby - Alysanne had been on her way out, wanting to make her way down to the beach. She still felt unpracticed enough with flying that just leaping off the cliffs and gliding down to the sands along the coast seemed more like a death wish than a means of transportation. She grabbed the bag Raeden had given her, thinking maybe she and Hemlock could collect some plants along the way, and was lost in her thoughts on her way to the gap in the glass wall ruins. That was when she saw the flash of orange, catching her eye and bringing them to focus on the entrance.

It took just a small moment to place why the figure there was familiar but she swore the click was audible when it finally happened.

“It’s you!”

It’s all that Alysanne can think at first to shout at the ember mare as she approached, trotting quickly to close the gap between them. She did her best to ignore the tugging of the wound on her side, stretched with each movement and she hugged her wings tighter to her sides as though that would help. She needed to ignore it because there was a mixing of joy and dread rising within her - eager to finally meet this mysterious healer that she continuously crossed paths with but fearing that there was some unknown danger that had brought her racing into the Edge.

Was someone else dying?

She quickly encouraged Hemlock to fly up and scout around to check, even as she was coming to a stop and speaking in a rush. “Is everything alright?” The paint needed to ask that first, needed to know which emotion to give free reign to. Would it be joy or dread? “I don’t know if you remember me… but we always seem to cross paths during perilous situations.” Alysanne was good with faces but she didn’t assume that everyone was. It had been dark the last time they had met and they had been crowded near the charred remains of Mauja - and before that, it had been in the caves…

Too many dark memories were associated with this bright, fire-coloured mare and Alysanne hoped that today marked the end of them.

alysanne & hemlock

image credits

@Tandavi
so I think Aly needs a police light hat that can go off when she's on alert. EMERGENCY 911 TANDAVI IS HERE WHAT'S WRONG
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Tandavi</style>

She makes it ten meters and is forced to draw short, her dance interrupted by – of all things – an owl. Fire Dancer’s hooves dig furrows in the earth, the startled expression upon her face echoed in the yelping of her displaced brother, whose claws bring bright pools of blood to the copper child's skin. At the same time a voice rings out through the night - is everything alright? - and Tandavi can only spin and stare, black eyes wide, embers jumping in agitation around her raised ears and down her spine. Is everything alright?- and the girl doesn't know what to say, so she says nothing, only stares, wild-eyed, trying to collect herself from the abandon in which she'd so recklessly indulged.

She is a child, caught by an adult while in the midst of a game of make-believe, and it takes her a moment to return from the land of memories and find her footing in the world of now.

It is the mare's voice which calms her down, melodious and familiar, and the girl finds herself returning to the present as easily as she left. Fire Dancer blinks away the last of her confusion and turns to the voice with a clearer gaze, recognition dawning in the moon-slashed face; "Oh!"

She is still pent up, anxious, and as she stands the ball in her stomach rises into her throat. A smile, unbidden, curls across her lips; she begins to laugh, uncertain, hopeful, a girlish giggle poorly dressed in the chestnut's deep tones. She had not expected to see this mare - though what she did expect was anyone's guess - and the jolt of a familiar face in a place her mind believes it does not belong (for it is not theirs) is unsettling, to say the least. So she laughs, and lets herself, though it is muted and slightly strained- laughs for a long moment, then takes a steadying breath.

"I suppose we do," the girl concedes, letting her head drop as she attempts to catch her breath. As she does her brother bounds gracefully to the forest floor, oversized ears spread wide above a vulpine grin; he is done trusting her reliability as a mount. The kitsune trots daintily toward the pegasus mare, fire dancing in graceful whips from his trio of tails. Show off, the girl teases him silently, and through their bond she can feel his cheerful shrug. Someone's gotta be charming when you're so weird!

Which, she thinks, pretty much sums up their lives so far. Natraj is charming, and Tandavi is weird.

At last the girl stands up straight, wildness gone from her expression, though some of it lingers at the back of her eyes. "I don't think anything is wrong, I just..." she trails off, uncertain, words failing her as they so often do. She is happy to see this mare, to taste the soft citrus of her magic and see the green of it in the air. But she does not know how to covey this, not really, not the way she wants to, so she does not say it at all.

Instead she says in her alto voice, "I did not know you live here. I... I don't know who does, not anymore. Have you lived here long?" Do you remember me?

we heal with love

That uncertain and hopeful laugh that came from the copper mare was enough to calm some of Alysanne’s most immediate concerns. If there had been some sort of emergency, surely there would have been more haste involved. But that she was taking the time to catch her breath, time to laugh even if it was with a fleeting smile, encouraged the pegasus to relax. The bounding appearance of the kitsune only helped too and a delighted smile appeared on her face as she greeted the fire-tailed creature with a small nicker.  “He’s beautiful.” She offered quietly but sincerely, lowering her head briefly to give him a smile on his level before her attention returned once more to his bonded.

Hemlock had a particular fondness for fox-creatures, be they kitsunes or simple foxes - plenty of Alysanne’s friends seemed to bond with them and that meant they had to be good, right? He finished a wide scouting loop to confirm that there was no danger before coming down to land on the ground by Aly’s hooves - hooting a cautious greeting at this new companion.

Meanwhile, Alysanne’s green eyes are calm as she waits for an explanation or question. Hesitantly, it came. Of course it was foolish for her to think this mare knew Alysanne was from the Edge - she was pretty sure they had never quite gotten to the pleasantries in their brief interactions.

“I’ve been here for…” Alysanne lapsed into silence for a moment as she tried to judge just how long it had been. Tallsun was nearly here so that meant “Four years now. Since Mirage and Thor and the Qian ruled here.” She didn’t like to think of how much had changed since then, how much had been lost. But she wonders if those names would sound familiar to this moon-marked mare and she watched carefully for a reaction even as she asked a question of her own. “Did you live here once too?”

Wouldn’t it be an incredible thing if they had ties to one another beyond the dangerous situations that drew them both?

alysanne & hemlock

image credits

@Tandavi
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Tandavi</style>

Natraj takes his sister's silence as a perfect opportunity to enjoy being admired. Forever friendly and unabashed, the kitsune grinned at the painted mare's praise, stepping forward to press his small face against the mare's offered nose. I like her, he informs the copper girl, his enthusiasm leaping through their bond; it fills her with a greater certainty, helps to still her thundering heart. That's good, the girl replies distractedly, but the fox has already moved on, his interest shifting to the curious owl. He throws himself on the ground before it (and, remarkably, the owl is smaller than him, a rare find for the minute fox), tails waving and chest pressed low, a friendly approach, an offer to play.

The girl does not understand his constant desire - and, even more, ability - to make friends. Envy stings her for a moment, followed by the usual dismissal: It's a companion thing. It's not just me.

Please.

She raises her head, tousled mane falling across her face and momentarily obscuring her eyes. The girl shakes to dislodge the braid, nearly missing her companion's response. Yet when she hears it the response is obvious, even audible, because the Fire Dancer chokes, her breath catching in her throat as surprise spreads vibrantly across her face. Four years?! And she says the names, the ones that twist like a knife and warm her heart. But that means- that means-

The girl is speechless, because four years ago she had been here, too, dancing and carefree, she and her brother little more than a flicker and shadow beneath the trees and yet... and yet...

"But I don't remember you," she whispers, and there is something of an accusation in her voice, not for the mare but for herself, for her memory, for the broken promise that if there was anything she had once known, she would know it again, now, once it stood before her. That every stone might hold a piece of her beneath its weight- but of course this is not the case, it was never going to be the case, and now the girl is left lost, uncertain, holding the threads of her past and trying to will them into a tapestry- but the picture is littered with holes.

[ Tandavi is SO AWKWARD omg I'm sorry ]

we heal with love

The return of greeting from the small kitsune only deepened the smile in those summer-green eyes. She was delighted by his touch and it secured the creature in Hemlock’s good graces too. He was always thankful towards those that treated his bonded kindly. So he too warmed further to the idea of play - hopping around on his tiny feet in the soft grass - forward and backward and hooting. He took to the air but it was only to get enough altitude to try to flutter over the kitsune - to playfully grasp one of those tails in his talons as he had done with his other fox friends.

Distracted as she was by the game, Alysanne’s attention remained focused on the copper mare - watching the play of emotions in her eyes once they were no longer obscured by her braided mane. It was a surprise, to hear confirmation (or what she thought was confirmation) that they had both lived here once.

Alysanne mistook the accusation in the mare’s voice to be directed at her, not within. But she does not feel offended or even hurt - after all, she had no memory of the girl before her in these woods four years prior either. The mare before her must be around her son’s age - she would have surely been a filly when Alysanne had arrived here. She had been so new, at once both excited about the opportunities and faces here and dying to get back home to her family. It wouldn’t surprise her to find out there were plenty of faces from that old herd she had not gotten the chance to meet. She knew now how unstable the herds could be - ever changing their faces.

Except for Alysanne, she seemed rooted here and she didn’t know if she would ever leave. What would it take? Not wraiths, not the rumours of the Goddess’ deeds, not her mistrust in her current herd members. If none of that, then what?

Her voice was soft still, almost matching the whisper spoken by the younger mare. “I spent most of my time with Kahlua.” She offered as an explanation, speaking the words as if they were an apology. She was sorry that she hadn’t been remembered - would that make this easier for this girl? In the absence of that connection, she hoped she could still be helpful. “I’m Alysanne, or Aly, I’ve been part of the healers here.” Finally an introduction after so many meetings, accompanied by a small encouraging smile. She hardly expected it to ring a bell, of course. She hadn’t been anyone back then, just a new face among a dozen others.  

alysanne & hemlock

image credits
made by the lovely tamme

Tandavi</style>

Natraj welcome's Hamlock's advances, leaping and swatting playfully at the little bird as it flies past, one of his three tails grasped within its claws. The girl watches him carefully, fixedly, her attention locked on him in a valiant yet fruitless endeavor to keep her turbulent emotions out of her face. She listens to the mare with a gold ear half-cocked, the copper one still trained on the antics of the companions-

-That is, until the mare utters yet another familiar name. At once her head darts back up, some excitement and relief palpable in her face. "I know Kahlua!" Fire Dancer exclaims, her body twisting as she speaks, tail twitching and hips turning to bring the stone which hides among her braids into the paint's view. "I helped her, once. She gave me this." She gestures at the stone which glows in the night: yet another piece of the armor she wears in defense of the encroaching dark. Kahlua is a bright point in the copper child's memory, even if their encounter ended on a strange note. The girl frowns, moon-slashed expression furrowing as she regards the painted equine's abrupt retreat. "Is she well? I should like to see her again."

She hadn't realized the absence of the mare's - Alysanne's - name until it is spoken, and the girl repeats it softly, "Alysanne," a tentative smile on her inky lips. Onyx eyes regard the mare, a healer like her- though in a way she supposes she knows this already, given the nature of their most recent encounter. Still the confirmation relaxes the girl, and her expression opens, the embers which surround her settling into her mane. She has yet to be hurt by a healer. Part of her wonders what happened to Alysanne's friend, the one she had saved so long ago- did the mare remember that, at least?

Onyx eyes blink. She will ask about it later, if she stays.

If.

"My name is Tandavi. My brother is Natraj." She gestures toward the kitsune, who looks up from his play long enough to bark an eager greeting. "We were born beneath these trees. Our family lived here..." she trails off, swallowing, fighting off the surge of sorrow which clamors against her mind. From the corner of her eye she can see Natraj bounding toward her; he becomes a comforting presence at her hooves and in her thoughts, offering his own sorrow and bolstering her strength. The girl blinks, her eyelashes moist - but no tears fall. Not today.

"They're gone now," she continues, "They left, when the wraiths came. But we thought we might come back... for a little while. If we can."

we heal with love

A common cord was found and Alysanne was amazed at the transformation in the mare before her - instantly alive with excitement as though a flame had suddenly burst to life. It was incredible to see someone else with a piece of Kahlua’s handiwork - it just wasn’t common anymore! The stone that the copper mare showed off was lovely and exactly the type of craftsmanship that Alysanne would expect to see from her friend. “That’s beautiful! She made me this too,” Alysanne rolled her eyes up and tossed her head lightly to emphasize the glass chain headband that rested on her head, the small clear heart that was the centre chiming faintly with the movement. “when I first arrived in Helovia.”

At the question about Kahlua’s well-being, her smile faltered slightly and her wings moved in a shrugging motion. “I haven’t seen her in awhile, I’m afraid. A friend saw her not too long ago but she never made it here to the Edge. I hope she’ll find us again soon.” In the ever-shifting world of Helovia, Alysanne had come to believe that eventually everyone returned from wherever they wandered.

Taking his cue from Natraj, Hemlock flew toward Alysanne and landed on her head - his normal perch between her ears. So it was that two pairs of kind eyes watched with patience as Tandavi explained how they had been born here, the brief mention of family. This was a homecoming for the copper mare and one that did not appear to be effortless. Alysanne would be sure to check on her in the coming days and make sure she was doing alright. Her smile was soft and warm as she replied. “You would be most welcome to stay here as long as you wish.” Whether it was for a moon-cycle, a season, or years - Alysanne wasn’t about to turn the pair away.

With a motion of her head, she gestured further into the forest that awaited them. “Come on, we don’t need to linger here on the border. Welcome home, Tandavi and Natraj.”

alysanne & hemlock

image credits
made by the lovely tamme