the Rift

[PRIVATE] peek-a-boo

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali

It was nearing midnight when Evangeline slipped across the Edge's border. Dark clouds blotted out the moonlight and the stars, but she knew from the exhaustion that plagued her what the time was. Intermittent flashes of lightning lit the way for her and the dragon that rode lazily upon her back, clutching the plants she'd chosen to bring back in his clawed hands. Perhaps she was not the best Moon Doctor when it came to her presence within the Edge, but she had come and gone in the twilight hours with plants for Alysanne to grow that would help with her healing. It was the best she could do while she fought with herself over the desire to leave it all behind and to hold on to what she had left of the life she had come to love.

Another flash of lightning was followed by the rumble of thunder as Evangeline pressed onward into the Edge. She knew that rain was coming and that she needed to get the planes she'd selected and brought with her into the ground both before they died and so they could be watered when the rain finally fell.

As Alysanne's garden came into sight Evangeline slowed to a walk. Her emerald eyes scanned over the plants as she searched for an empty spot to plant the ones she'd brought with her this time. Tallis remained perched on her back, clutching the plants as she started digging at the ground. Lightning flashed, thunder rumbled, and raindrops began to patter against the ground. "Its ready, Tallis. Put the plant in." The mare instructed, and the dragon wasted no time. He dropped the plant into the hole that Eva had dug and covered the roots as the rain began to fall harder on them.

'What now?' He asked, because he was weary after so much travel. "I don't know." Answered the mare who was just as weary. "I... don't know."

"."

Credits

@Alysanne

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

It certainly hadn’t gone unnoticed that someone else was working on the garden with her. Secretly, it would seem, because Alysanne had never actually seen who it was. She suspected a few - such as the curious Roskuld - or maybe even Tilney and after waking up a few mornings and noticing a difference she decided to forgo sleeping in her usual spot to wait by the garden and see who it was. She was rather proud of her attempt at being stealth as she found a spot among the underbrush of the forest just near the clearing where the garden existed. Luckily the lush Birdsong growth provided enough foliage to hide even her stark white coat and the approaching storm provided further cover.

Hemlock wasn’t a big fan of the lightning and he huddled amongst Alysanne’s feathers on her folded wings - pretending to sleep through it though they both knew better.

She missed Evangeline’s arrival in the darkness and it wasn’t until a flash of lightning illuminated the area that she saw that unmistakable chestnut coat and her heart leapt.

Moving slowly - the wound her wings carefully concealed on her left thigh still hurt with every step - she abandoned her cover and approached the garden.

“Evangeline.” The name came out in a soft whisper but already the smile was forming on her face, bright and genuine - practically sunny in the middle of this storm. She couldn’t believe she was seeing her after so long. She thanked her good luck that had brought her to the garden tonight, that they finally crossed paths, and she hurried forward to greet her friend with an extended muzzle. “I was wondering who was secretly helping me with the garden!” She couldn’t believe it had been Eva all this time, and she hadn’t even known! But why the secrecy?

“Hello Tallis.” She greeted the dragon with a warm smile before looking back to Eva. “My dear friend, where have you been? I've missed you.”

*ALYSANNE
lying on the edge of a star

@Evangeline <33
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Outcast

'Someone else is here.' Tallis alerted Eva through their shared mental connection. She had known that there were chances of running into someone in the garden, but she never thought someone would be there so late, and in the rain. The only question was who was the someone that was at the garden with them. There were all sorts of possibilities ranging from Tembovu, to Alysanne, to someone who'd sneaked past the borders in the middle of the night.

"I was wondering who was secretly helping me with the garden!"

Relief washed over Evangeline when she heard the voice because she knew it so well. "Alysanne!" She breathed, her own muzzle extending in greeting. It had been too long since she'd seen her friend, but it was her own fault. No one else had pushed her away from the Edge, it had been her own disgust and anger that had prevented her from coming back sooner

Upon her greeting to him, Tallis left his place on Evangeline's back in favor of Alysanne. He was careful as any dragon could be as he crawled around on the winged mare's back. He balanced himself the best he could as he reached over her side to search her feathers for his owl friend.

"Everywhere." Was the simplest way to answer Alysanne's question of where she had been, but her friend deserved more than a one word answer. "After the incident in the forest with Mauja and Tembovu I rhoughr ir would be good to search for herbs that would help with pain, burns, swelling, fevers..." She explained. "I was so angry and disgusted that I just stayed gone. I thought you would know how to use the plants I brought back, so I just kept searching and bringing everything I found here." 

"I've missed you."

"I'm sorry." Eva said, feeling guilty that she'd run off without telling Alysanne anything. "I've missed you, too... you're actually the only one I missed. How have you been?"

"."

Credits

@Alysanne.deviantart.com/art/Ascendancy-554907009]image credits[/url]

It was so wonderful to see Evangeline again, Alysanne could already feel some weight lifting off of her heart. She laughed with delight as Tallis landed gently upon her back, giving the dragon a fond smile before turning her attention back to Eva.

Hemlock hooted with his own delight upon being discovered in his bed of feathers. Tallis was, after all, the only dragon that he had ever been able to stand for more than 5 seconds. Far more preferable than that blue bastard that had bonded with Kahlua! He un-burrowed himself from Alysanne’s feathers further and chirped another greeting to his friend.

It was so good to see the little owl getting along with other companions lately! Aly found it hard to believe that when he was young he was such a miserable grump!

For his part, Hemlock did his best to make it known that he was ignoring such terribly rude comments through their bond.

“That was so thoughtful of you my dear! They are certainly handy to have around.” Green eyes moved momentarily to the plants, thinking about how she should have been doing the same thing. All of her fears about Tembovu’s magma-hot rage and not once did she think to stockpile herbs that may be able to help. But that was why they were a team, her and Evangeline - maybe they were destined to always remember what the other forgot.

“Please, do not feel guilty about your absence. I can hardly blame you for wanting to stay away. Will you come back now?” Life had been so simple before that herb-gathering excursion had ended in disaster. She didn’t want to pressure Evangeline into deciding of course - and as much as Alysanne would miss her, she’d help her friend slip out unnoticed from the Edge if that was her wish.

At the question of how she had been, Alysanne could only shrug (carefully at that, with a dragon and an owl on her back). “Oh, I’ve been alright. I think it’s safe to say neither of us are our King’s favoured healer - he promoted Tilney to our rank at the last herd meeting.” Although there was annoyance in Alysanne’s voice, it was not directed at the antlered stallion personally. She still felt slighted over the idea that she and Eva had not been enough, that Tembovu felt it in his right to promote their healers without discussing it before hand. “I’ve gotten in a few shouting matches with Tembovu lately… I don’t trust him.”

*ALYSANNE

@Evangeline sorry it took a while D:
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Outcast

Stockpiling the herbs wasn't as thoughtful as Alysanne said it was, at least Evangeline didn't think so. it was simply a requirement of their positions and the only one that Eva had been fulfilling. She'd left Aly to take care of the bulk of the herd by herself with whatever nurses were around to help her and it was wrong of her to do so. It wasn't that she didn't trust Aly to do an exceptional job, just that she'd left her with more work than was fair.

She hadn't realized that her eyes had fallen to the ground until Alysanne told her not to feel guilty. it seemed as though her friend had known exactly what she was thinking and it made the orange mare sigh as she looked back up at her. "I'll try not to." Eva murmured. "But I shouldn't have left you alone for so long, even if I was collecting herbs. Have you had any trouble?" She asked, nodding her head to answer Alysanne's question about if she would stay.

"I think it’s safe to say neither of us are our King’s favoured healer - he promoted Tilney to our rank at the last herd meeting.”E

Evangeline frowned deeply at the news that Aly delivered, not that she was surprised that she was not the king's favored healers. "Has he replaced me?" She asked, though she woudln't be surprised if she had been.  "But, honestly, I can't say that he's my favorite king." The orange mare scoffed bitterly.

It wasn't surprising to hear Alysanne say that she didn't trust Tembovu, but it was surprising that she would get into a shouting match with him. "And he didn't burn you?" Eva asked. "Maybe you're more favored then you think." 'Or maybe he only burns friends.' Tallis piped up from his spot on the black and white mare's back. It made Eva shake her head in disgust. "I don't trust him either." She admitted then asked, "What did you shout at him about?"

"."

Credits

@Alysanne

“Oh no, no one has been replaced.” Not yet, anyway. Alysanne was still expecting someone else to be promoted to Moon Doctor in her stead - someone pre-approved by the arrogant Elephant King. She did crack a smile at Eva’s scoff about the Tembovu being her favourite king.  “And there were no issues while you were gone. A couple hard births for some of the mares - some very young mares becoming mothers - but it was nothing I couldn’t handle.” She smile reassuringly to her friend. As much as she would have loved Evangeline’s presence here in the Edge, she understood her reasons for being scarce.

Another small smirk appeared at the comment about Aly being more favoured than she thought since she had not been burned. “I think he wanted to. He got in my face and I snapped at him to keep him back, which only encouraged him to snap back and… oh Eva I was scared of him.” She remembered the rising panic, how it threatened to choke her. She had spoke to him with venom but he had reacted with fire until she was sure they would both burn.

Explaining their fights came out in a low voice, quick and filled to the brim with all of the emotions she had felt on those days - anger, fear, sadness. “I honestly don’t even remember what the first fight was about. He was injured - burns from his display in the Deep Forest - and I wanted to heal him,” Want wasn’t quite the right word, and she was sure Evangeline knew that. But it was their job and, however much Alysanne disliked Tembovu she would never refuse him healing. “But he refused until I healed a little scratch on my wing joint. I couldn’t heal myself, though, because I’m on a quest for the Moon Goddess so I got angry that he was making demands about how I do my job. I think we got in argument about how I didn’t like him but would heal him anyway? I don’t think he’s spent a lot of time around healers before.” Aly shook her dark head in a dismissive fashion, not having hands to wave the situation away. It sounded a little lame now that she was thinking back on it, but it was fresh after finding Mauja burned in the forest and all of her fears about Tembovu setting fire to the Edge were new and frightening.

“The second time, though, he thought I was being insubordinate because I wasn’t thrilled that he was promoting healers without telling me and he cornered me after the meeting. I barely even rolled my eyes, it’s not like I said something at the meeting.” As if Alysanne would do that. “He thinks that the Edge being prosperous is all his own doing, did you know that? Apparently Tembovu is the only one pulling their weight around the place. I don't know about you, but I've never felt so appreciated.”

*ALYSANNE

@Evangeline
made by the lovely tamme

Outcast
Evangeline & Tallis

Evangeline nodded her head as she listened to Aly tell her about some of the things that had happened in the herd while she'd been gone. The hard births and young mothers were unsurprising to Eva, though she'd been  you herself when she'd had her first foals. She'd experienced a difficult birth of her own, so she knew how scary it could be even if it was something routine for the healers.

When Alysanne said that she suspected that Tembovu had wanted to burn her it made her frown. "You think so?" She asked, even though she trusted Aly's judgement more than anyone else's. "I suppose we'll have to keep an eye on him, then." She sighed. "But if he burns anyone else he'll taste dragon's fire." Because she could not put up with him injuring Edgers because of his bad moods and temper. As if to back up what she was saying, Tallis blew a puff of black smoke toward his bonded. He'd burned stallions before and he'd do it again if the sitation called for it.

She was quiet as Aly pressed on, talking about her fights with Tembovu and it only made Evangeline's frown deepen. "Did you tell him you were on a quest?" She asked curiously, only to be silent once more as Aly continued on. Her eyes narrowed as her friend said that she'd been cornered and it seemed to Eva that he was purposely singling Aly out.

For what?

"I wouldn't suggest being alone with him, then." She said to her friend. "From what you've said it sounds like he's singling you out." And she snorted, her eyes rolling at the prosperity of the herd. "If being prosperous means terrorizing your healer and burning your friends then he's certainly in a league of his own."

lairelark