the Rift

[OPEN] Company

Aelin Posts: 67
Outcast
Filly :: Pegasus :: 15 :: 2
Frostie

Aelin

Dreams paint the sky in the brightest colours. They are the dreams of crimson, gold, ivory and violets. Mixing together and creating the most beautiful colour show known to none but the Dreamwalker.

It was a cramp in her wing that brought the girl down from the skies. The moon rested high, cradled in it's sling of darkness. It's pale glow lit the land up in hue-less shades of light. She stood in it's embrace, the greens and blues of the world around her light up. Her presence was always hailed by nature. The daughter of the Wildfire was always embraced by nature, day or night. Bending to sniff a flower she smiled at the scent before returning her eyes to the moon above. A bird rustled in the tree above her, an owl who quietly hooted at her. "They say a lady lives on the moon, a pale lady so beautiful that it is her loveliness alone that creates the light." Her eyes watered slightly and so she blinked, turning and spoke to the owl instead. "But it's a sad story." The owl blinked at her, staring widely almost spookily. "She died when she was still young, only staying in spirit long enough to kiss her lover good bye." They both turned back to the moon as if wondering who the lady upon the rounded marvel was. "I suppose everything is an equal trade. The mortal life with love and comfort in exchange for eternity of looking upon the world." After a moment the owl swooped down from the tree, flying overhead perhaps on the hunt. Life was always better while flying, freeing of any troubles or sad stories of lonely ladies.

The girl smiled and sniffed before turing to survey her surroundings. The secret grove had remained an explored piece of land to her, until tonight. Her eyes studied the curious surroundings of the new piece of land. It made sense that she'd not yet visited this place, being so close to The World's Edge. The girl was wary of the territories of others, wishing to be cautious and respectful. Still it was a romantic place, the grove of trees were reflected in a pool of crystal clear water. It was sweet, nestled away in an otherwise brutal and unreliable world. Yet the girl was not pulled closer to the pool of water because if it's romantic nature, she's never truly been wooed by anything. Her hooves and ankles felt the kiss of the cooling water, the moon rippling on the surface. The branches of the willows both creaked and sang in the wind, the strange mix of the two sounds was chilling. She felt safe, embraced by the land as the thick vegetation provided a rather comforting privacy around the crisp, cool waters. The trees and leaves were wet as if it had recently rained here, the scent of rain was very slight, if you inhaled deep enough you could just smell it. It was pleasant here, she was happy to wait here until her wing healed and became strong enough to fly upon it again.

For only she can see the beauty of true desires.

@Albrecht
Quest thread.
I guess jealousy's the curse that the struggle inspires.

☀ Force and magic permitted. ☀
☀ No fatal or permanent damage. ☀
☀ Please only tag in opening posts. ☀

Albrecht Posts: 249
Aurora Basin Impersonator atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1hh :: 19 (Orangemoon) HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Strom :: Suma Ball Python :: None Townsen
He’s a dull, weathered figure and creates an unusual picture even in broad daylight, so it’s not that surprising that he’s overlooked by the young pegasus as she enters the grove, her bicolored eyes sweeping past his bony, threadbare frame where it lay folded on the ground, additionally camouflaged by the shadows of massive weeping willow trees encircling the meadow. What is surprising is the way that the grass seems to stand a little straighter with her presence, the flowers open their delicate buds just a little wider, and even the crystalline pool at the center of the clearing seems to shine just a little brighter with the reflection of the moon as she nears its edge. Curious, the elder’s ears prick forward, cupping towards the filly to better hear her whimsical narrative.

He waits a moment after she finishes, watching her stare into the water serenely, perfectly suited to the beauty and serenity of this place, then raises his voice to address her, breaking the magical quality of the moment with his own roughness. “That hardly sounds like a fair trade.” He counters, “She died young, left behind a bereaved lover, and for that the world benefits eternally. What solace could she find in watching if the watching is of her lovers aimless, broken wandering, unable to ever console him?” He shakes his head gingerly, waggling his auburn beard, but leaving the rest of his reclining body at quiet rest. “I’d be pissed if I was her. Maybe that’s why the moon goddess has such a reputation for-“ He hesitates suddenly, glancing up to where the silver disk hangs overhead. “-following her own rules.”

OOC // @Aelin Sorry for the delay, I didn't get a notification.

[Image: 56c616e54affc]Rated M, R, NC-17, AO, 18+, NSFW
Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC

Outcast
Frostie

Aelin

Dreams paint the sky in the brightest colours. They are the dreams of crimson, gold, ivory and violets. Mixing together and creating the most beautiful colour show known to none but the Dreamwalker.

A rough voice speaks to her from the shadows and she starts. She turns to look upon the stag, his own green eyes were upon her. She slowed her harsh breathing, and even managed a weak smile. He was a curious fellow, his horns unlike anything she'd seen before. He was also a rather hairy beast, Never before had she seen so much...hair. They were so different, yet despite his curious appearance and rough voice she felt a certain spark of warmth towards him. He obviously saw the world quite different to how she did, hers was filled with light and fire. His must be darker. Her eyes traced over his curious features once again before answering him. "I never said it was fair. I said it was equal." She in turn counters his remark. Aelin wasn't shy and rarely played being coy, instead she spoke up, confident. "True, but as the expression goes," she paused, looking at the stag. "It's better to have loved and lost then not loved at all." Ruffling her wings she pondered the rest of his words, with a sad smile. In some ways the lady on the moon had gone through a loss just like her own - her twin Hawke. "They're nothing to say the lover was broken. Also what's to say he didn't eventually recover?" She knew from her own experience that even through it may hurt and take time, you could eventually recover form an aching heart. "Besides, above she would see lives! Births, lovers, pain, recovery and death." Anyone who got to witness so many lives must feel blessed.

As he shook his head Aelin tilted her head to the side, resisting the urge to giggle at the waggling auburn beard. It was clear that he truly did feel sorry for the Lady of the legend. Her chops curved, water rippling around her as she turned her small frame to face him head-on. He hesitates suddenly, his sentence hanging. Following his gaze back to the the moon she blinks at the shining orb. She didn't challenge him about The Moon Goddess. She'd never met the lady, having only seen The Time God. The girl slowly exited the water, walking up to the beast. "My name is Aelin." Standing closer to the male she inhaled his scent, closing her eyes as it infiltrated her nostrils. "Hmm." Opening her eyes, one a poll of blue the other an emerald of green, she committed the face to memory. "I'm not an expect on darkness, fire however." Stretching her wings, "i'm fire made flesh." After all, she was a daughter of The Wildfire born in The Dragon's Throat. Her entire life she'd been surrounded by flames, it was apart of the reason why she was questing to get her own flames. "It seems that you know more about darkness." His mood and thoughts about the Lady's fate certainly suggested this.

A gentle breeze blew between the two, her dreamcatcher softly bumped against her neck and stray hairs danced across her eyes and cheeks.

@Albrecht

She talks a lot, but the young often do. The bearded stallion listens from his reclining position, having always been careful to consider the words of foals with their unique perspectives and thought processes still unaltered by the cruel impassivity of the world, but when she immediately parrots a worn out adage his interest wanes, turning dismissive and only half listening to the rest of her speech. He’s no child to be impressed by thoughtless recitation. “I challenge you to ask those who have loved and lost in their lives just how much merit that saying holds and whether they would be relieved or distressed to watch their dearly beloved move on without them.” Love may be beautiful and enduring, but it's also viciously jealous.

He cocks his head at the surge of excitement in the filly’s voice as she emphasizes, ‘lives,’ slightly confused by her wistfulness. Most young things want to live for themselves, experience the world, not witness it. He wonders if there’s some reason for her wanting to be a passive observer instead of an active participant, some injury or deficiency, or whether she just enjoys watching. Little perv.

One ear flicks back in cautious distrust as she approaches, looking him over and sniffing conspicuously. She offers her name in exchange, but he stays silent, acutely aware of her scrutiny. The girl definitely has a thing for details and he’s not quite sure how he feels about that, other than self-conscious and slightly uncomfortable. Drawing inward, he takes advantage of the filly’s proximity to snatch a mouthful of suddenly vibrant green, luscious grass from the earth around him, chewing appreciatively until her next words give him pause.

Darkness? His brow furrows. Darkness? What the hell is that supposed to mean, he wonders grumpily. Does she suppose he’s some sort of demon or fairy tale monster because of his appearance? Should he be insulted about this? He could be a really nice fucking guy for all she knows! Or maybe it’s less his appearance and more his surly attitude that prompted the comment. Maybe she’s just accustomed to the usual shield of cheer and consideration that most adults instinctively take on when dealing with children and finds his lack thereof surprising, distressing.

Glancing up at her, an odd necessity of their relative positions, he considers a moment, swallowing and licking the taste of magically enhanced grass from his lips. “I only know reality. It's neither bright nor dark. It doesn't care for individual experiences like good or bad or fair."

OOC // @Aelin

Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC

Outcast
Frostie

Aelin

It was nice to speak and have someone listen. Although, Aelin did eventually became aware of the fact that she'd probably been speaking a little too much. Still, her as her eyes drifted towards the bearded stallion who patiently listened to her from his reclining position. He was a curious soul, sitting there and (apparently) carefully considering the words that tumbled out of her mouth. Perhaps she had been too unabashed, her response a touch too snippy. Maybe she'd been born with an ember of her father's fire after all, it had flared inside her. There was something about speaking to him, the way he listened. It was inspiring and mayhap that was also apart of why she'd been responding with a touch of a challenge. Although he didn't rise to her comments and she smiled at the way he commanded himself. Aelin was aware that she sometimes acted a touch too confidently, a touch like her older sister who was overconfident in most situations. "I see." Aelin responded to his words in a sad tone. "It seems that I spoke too loudly upon a subject of which I knew only a little about." The girl wondered if the stag was more knowledgable that her because he'd lost a love. A frown creased her brow as she considered the possibility. Maybe there was something to learn from him rather than the other way around. Life had a strange sense of humour, they way you entered situations believing it would go one way and yet it went determinedly in the opposite direction.

Watching the way he cocks his head in reaction to he own surge of excitement causes a smile to curve her chops. The sandy princess wondered if her message hadn't gotten across clearly enough, if her verbal dribble had been what rendered him as confused. It wouldn't been the first time her naivety and childish emotions had gotten the better of her and she'd allowed it to control the conversation. The smile continued to linger however as she waited for a response from him. She wasn't sure quite how he'd chose to react, with humour or the same seriousness which he'd approached the rest of their interaction with. Never before had she encountered a stag with such a...serious no...austere view on life. Maybe she could teach him something after all, a brighter look upon tough times. Though she wondered it he knew that not everyone he met would bow to his views, but Aelin would be happy to learn from his past. She may even end up considering the lessons he could teach her an honour to have learnt.

Was it distrust that controlled his thoughts now? The girl had noticed the way one ear had flicked back in cautions. She's ignored it, continuing her exploration of his presence and smells. There wasn't anything familiar that clung to his dark coat, nothing that made her think of her southern sandy homeland. When he does not offer a name she frowns again, concern flashing across her features. Again her young thoughts began to whirl speculations as to why he acted the way he did. Had someone betrayed him in the past which was why no did not trust her enough to tell her his name? If so that was a sad fate for the stag. Her eyes and nose study him now with a little more scrutiny. Ever since she was young the girl liked to know things about others, figured out what made them tick. She also liked to know what darkness lurked in their past. She knew that such interest often made the target of her interest self-conscious and slightly uncomfortable. Yet she couldn't help studying others, learning about them and paying attention to the smaller details. Smirking the sandy princess watches as the stage drawings inward and then he takes advantage of her magical abilities, snatching a mouthful of suddenly vibrant green, luscious grass from the earth around him. Well at least same pleasure had been brought to him by her presence, he reclined there chewing on the grass until she spoke again and he paused. No doubt misunderstanding him once again, hopefully something that wasn't becoming a habit of hers.

Yeah, she'd pissed him off. His brow furrows and the girl bites her tongue worried about possible backlash. Honestly she'd allowed herself to get too far ahead of again, the familiar burn once again searing through her chest. He glances up at her, considering her as he swallows the grass. She remains quiet as he does so, listening to his response. She moves in front of him and eases herself before him, taking the time to consider his words. "I see." She pauses and nibbles on some grass herself, tasting the sweetness of her magic. "I suppose...hmmm." The girl fell silent again, unsure of how to shape her response to his. "I see the colours of dreams, the realm of hopes and desires is vivid and bright." She exhaled heavily through her nose. "Yet I have much to learn about this world." She knew that she was naive, after all she'd only experienced a handful of good and bad events. She short life hadn't allowed time for much else after all! She didn't wish to get on the stag's last nerve so she liked up up him, "I'm sorry if I insulted you before." Not bothering to make any excuses she simply offered him an apologetic smile.

It's late, I'm sorry if I rambled or if something didn't make sense ;-;
@Albrecht

She’s awfully cocksure for someone without that particular appendage, but her concessions and eventual apology seem genuine, so the stallion lets his offense subside, watching again as her mismatched eyes poke and prod, taking what measures they can of him. He wonders what she sees over there, planted firmly in her own point of view. He wonders how much of him is visible from the outside. Can she see the man he used to be, the one who loved and strove for perfection, the one who put all others before himself, the man who lost it all and died a lonely, frozen death? - Or can she only see the jaded one, the man who shivered and wept and continued walking to spite the world?

He mulls that over a moment, turning his gaze to catch the hollows between his ribs, the protrusion of his hip bones, not quite so shocking as when he’d first lain in the Threshold, but still readily apparent. The auburn curtain of his beard is dull, knotted in places, the hair dry and stiff where once a healthy gleam had shown. He would have been embarrassed once, mortified to portray anything but idealistic success in life. Now he just feels empty, devoid of feeling or motivation, even the gnawing hunger that should instinctively rise to combat his leanness silent.

His tone when he speaks again is flat, empty like his heart and stomach. “My dreams are vivid, but not bright, not hopeful.” Surely the filly has experienced nightmares before? “Maybe that’s what you see in me and call darkness.” He looks up at her then, catches sight of the small trinket of wood and twine tied into her mane. “You have time enough to learn about this world on your own, but-“ Apathy turns to anger and he knows rationally, logically, she’s not the one at fault, but she’s the one in front of him right now, the one asking silent questions with her eyes, making him remember those things he’d rather forget. “If you’re so inclined, you’re welcome to see for yourself.”

His chin juts out in challenge, motioning toward the dreamcatcher. “If you really are ‘fire made flesh,' maybe you’ll fare better than I do.” He looks away then, the admission of his struggles tender and fearful, tears threatening to brim across the tension in his eyes, but he's still no child and mastery of himself, though rarely exercised now, is a lesson he learned long ago. No moisture stains his grizzled cheeks.

OOC // Alby gives permission for Aelin to watch his dream. (Obvs he doesn't understand what all that involves, but just fyi). @Aelin

Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC

Outcast
Frostie

Aelin

His current state doesn't appear healthy. Having taken advantage of the fact that he'd turned his gaze away to mull over her words, Aelin again found herself inspecting the beast that had appeared before her. Her eyes gazed at how he seemed almost hollow between his ribs and the protrusion of his hip bones. It was clear that he needed a good feed, maybe he didn't have a home that provided him with enough to eat. Maybe, if their meeting went well, she'd invite him back to the Throat for a decent feast. It was hard to look away from his apparently hungry body. Aelin puffed her cheeks then released their air slowly, wondering what it must be like to go hungry. As a privileged member of the Throat she'd never gone hungry, she stomach had always been filled. Not only is his body seeming to wither away but his appearance is dim in contrast to her own bright and glistening dun coat. The sandy princess eyes the auburn curtain of his beard, knotted in places, the hair dry and stiff where, she thought at least, a healthy shine should shimmer. The girl looking to her own body, daily well groomed aside from the odd grain of sand that still lurked upon her body, her hair was healthy, falling thickly and vibrantly over her neck. She normally never minded about her appearance, most of the time it was slightly disheveled but healthy. Yet now she found herself comparing them, wondering if it was her privilege that allowed her to feel comfortable appearing bedraggled.

Was the beast always so flat and empty? His voice, his eyes his body...what about his heart and soul? Was he born into a repressive society or had she been speaking about love to someone who had experienced the pain? Like the fool that she was. Pondering her words she thought about her own dreams and the dreams of others, the way she loved to brighten them up. Painting the dreams as vivid, bright, and (she hoped) aspiring. The sandy princess had always had complete control over the lands of dreams and truthfully no, she'd never experienced nightmares before. That was what had been gifted to her, the ability to always experience the good in life. Yes, perhaps that why she'd thought of his so dark...murky. She'd been wrong, blinded by the brightness in her own vision. Felling his gaze upon her dreamcatcher she turns her head slightly, proud of the item that had been with her almost since birth. A symbol of her abilities since birth, always intwined with her dreamland. It was through dreams that she learned about others, saw into their souls and had a shot at understanding the other. Yes she was young, still with a lot of time to learn about this world. Additionally she also (clearly) still had a lot to learn about this world. The invitation causes her head to tilt to the side, studying the strange beast before her. Out of all the people she would have thought would have let her into their dreams...well he would have been the last one that she'd ever guess.

She grins as his chin juts out in challenge, motioning toward the dreamcatcher. Still listening to his words she summons the magic from within her, sending it out towards the beast, feeling and searching. Oh, she'd prove herself to fair better than other, the familiar burn works it's way across her chest. As the stag looks away she can feel what remained unsaid between them. They had all suffered and faced struggles of the heart, the way love made you tender towards the soul of your affections and fearful that you would one day loose them. Had the lady in the moon or her lover feared loosing each other? They must have. "Yer laz disse qafat atthirarido kifindirgi." A sigh curled from her lips, long and drawn out and she looked to the moon. "But you'll never get an answer." Her magic crept towards the beast, but it could not see into his dreams yet. "The funny thing about dreams...most of the time you have to be asleep for them to appear." Looking back towards the beast she widened her eyes, innocent and kind. "I'll accept your challenge but you have to trust me enough to sleep." The girl said it doubtfully, as if she knew the stag would not like the idea of leaving himself so vulnerable with only a small girl watching over his sleeping form. She wouldn't be insulted if her laughed at her. In fact a coy smile curved her own lips. Damn. What an ass she'd been tonight. "Walking among dreams I'm free, I suffer living in the land of the living." She grinned at the stallion, "here I think i know more than i actually do."

@Albrecht
yer laz disse qafat atthirarido kifindirgi. - You can only ask dreams why.

Unfamiliar syllables press together discordantly in his ears, broken by spaces here and there to suggest coherent words, but none that he can understand. He looks up again, confused, but the girl is staring up at the moon now, smiling, joking. His anger rekindles in response. “Do you think I exaggerate?” He chides, ears folding back against his poll. “You will suffer, as I suffer. You will know hopelessness.” The words threaten, assure, a final warning to her disbelief. Maybe he’s putting too much weight on what he expects the outcome of her experience to be, these are not her pains and losses to feel upon waking after all, but he can’t help wanting her to suffer, to see someone else acknowledge the cruelty, the unfairness, the justification behind his bitterness.

Rolling onto his right side, he grunts one more rough reproach before forcibly closing his eyes, brows still furrowed in agitation. “You’re the one that will have to trust – that it will end, for you at least.” And then he quiets, focuses on the regularity of his breathing, the rhythm of his heart that still beats for all its emptiness.

It’s difficult at first, his thoughts unwilling to slow on command and his senses overly aware of the filly’s proximity and attention. He doesn’t know how much time is passing or at what pace, but eventually his brows begin to smooth from their scowling and his ears fall slack. He drops out of awareness, oblivious to time or space or even his own existence within them, and for a moment he is at peace. Then from the nothing he suddenly is again, in a world of white and agonizing cold.

-

On one side a few battered trees stand bent but solid against the howling wind, snow piled high against their trunks, on the other is nothing but white – endless and blinding, no visible horizon or feature to stand out and give scale to its enormity – only white above and white below and flecks of white flying across his vision between the two in biting, stinging squalls of ice like airborne shards of glass.

He shrinks away from the pain, pressing himself against the snow-banked trees, trying to hide in what little windbreak they provide, but even here the cold is inescapable. It slips beneath his skin and muscle, lodging in the spaces between bone and cartilage, cracking, splintering. His legs are numb, blood drawing back into the core of his body for survival, but somehow he still stands, knowing to lie down is to lie down forever. Ice weighs painfully from the hair on his chin and neck and elsewhere too, though he no longer feels it. The worst is the ice on his whiskers and eye lashes, clumping the bristles together and pulling painfully at the sensitive skin of his face, providing just enough sensation to deny him numbness.

Silent bodies stand nearby, hunched against their own misfortune, half buried by the snow heaped upon their backs and too weak to shake or brush it off. Eyes barely open, mere slits against the raging storm, he sees their varied coats in blurs of color, this one a steel grey, that one gold, some full size, others in miniature, young foals clinging miserably to the lifeless sides of their mothers. A pang of grief reminds the stallion that his heart still beats, sluggishly pumping thin streams of blood from one vital organ to another. His mares, his sons and daughters, but glaringly few in number. These are all he has left and even now he sees the life draining from their sunken eyes, their wash rack ribs.

The wind kicks up an octave, whistling and screeching through his ears, but he knows the high pitched yipping isn’t all wind. As impossible as the winter seems and as wretchedly poor as his kind have fared, the wolves have staunchly held out, padding their bodies with meat and marrow from his friends and family, his subjects, all those souls who laid their trust in him, some taken cleanly off the dead, some taken in shrieking, bleeding gulps from the unfortunate living. He’d cry if he could, but his withering body jealously hoards what little reserves still lie in it, tucked away beneath shrunken skin and wasting muscle. It would only add to his suffering anyway, freezing before it leaves the corners of his eyes, another dagger of ice to wound him, but the howling continues and so he looks to his broken family, forming goodbyes in his anguished, silent way.

Then a new train of thought intrudes on his prayer and his eyes open wide, knowing already what his logic-worshiping mind decides, the ‘him’ of memory and the ‘him’ of reality vying for control in this altered consciousness. He reels inside himself, violently protesting the recollection, and the dreamscape fades, slurs, jumps to another time in the same setting. He stands alert now, still cold, still blanketed in ice, still standing beside his mares, but now they stand alone, miniatures gone, and all their eyes and ears point in the same direction, wails of fear and pain drifting back to them in stuttering, cut off cries.

-

The stallion's body tenses in his sleep, sweat dampening his neck and forming a ring around the base of his ears. His eyes jerk behind their closed lids, the stress of his dream state bleeding through to reality, pushing his pulse to a quicker and quicker beat.

-

Their guileless faces swim in his dream vision, listening fearful and broken to his command, to his forsaking. They're to slip away in the night, walk as far as they can and lay down when they can't, let the cold take them before the wolves do, but they're only children - his children! - and the wolves are keen. It’s no silent, peaceful death that comes to take them.

He turns away, a sob tearing through his swollen throat and the image blurs again, only flashes of lucidity coming from the void - angry voices, paltry blows, indiscernible curses and his pleading response - But he'd saved them! He'd given them a chance to live! To hopefully heal and birth new children instead of dying in an effort to nurse these young who are doomed to die without them – and then he’s alone, no hunched figures, no trees, no howling, just snow in every direction and a zigzag trench leading out of the distance and to his staggering hooves - alone - a rolodex of names and faces crossed out in blood streaming past his tearful eyes, a scrawled apology overlapping the letters - I'm sorrysorrysorry...

-

He jerks awake as if struck, gasping for air, disoriented. His heart drums wildly in panic, skin visibly quivering, but the dream nightmare is more familiar than he cares to admit and his self soothing is well rehearsed. Eyes still wide in reaction, he turns his head to seek out the filly, wondering how much she's seen, how much she's felt.

OOC // Sorry for endless text. @Aelin

Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC