the Rift

Hello Darkness My Old Friend

Nato Posts: 84
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 :: 13 Buff: NOVICE
Candy

Hastily the large shadow beast moved in a smooth gallop across the rolling meadows, feathery limbs slicing through the reeds. Muscles rippling like the oceans tide under a black canvass sheen, while hooves like blunt daggers digging into the dry soil creating a soft dust cloud to form in a trail behind him. He was headed home again or at least as close to home as he has ever had. In his long life, he had seen many places and hasn't stayed in any quite as long as this. Muscles rolled slowly to a halt, ink lobe frisking forth as crimson pools glow with delight falling upon the forest border of Helovia. His journey had been rough on tired bones, lips parched for a refreshing drink. Memories from his time spent in those towering timbers came flooding in, remembering names, faces.. those who had lost the battle with the darkness when it plagued over the lands. Hours of his time spent lurking in the timbers, searching for those who had become lost, who needed to find their way home.

Obsidian chest heaved a deep breath, the welcoming scent of oak and pine filling his lungs. Crimson pools closing momentarily as he gently pushed forward down the hill. Somewhere, he knew, there was a small stream that ran through these woods. It had been a while since he had a refreshing drink to take the heat off his lips. He looked a mess, silken obsidian fibers twisted and matted with dirt and dust from his travels. Normally cream hooves doused in muck and dirt. He would never admit it, but he was tired. Very, tired. At his age, spending days moving across all types of soil wasn't easy. He didn't focus on the pain now however, all he could focus on was water. Sweet, refreshing water. 

Entering the trees many familiarized scents flushed through his nostrils. Unicorn, Equine and Pegasus. Small woodland creatures, birds. It was very dark, and he moved like a shadow through the forest. Heavy footfalls and glowing eyes making themselves known to any that he may have passed. Hungrily, his eyes rested upon the trickling stream glittering under the moon light. His stride almost a clumsy dance as he tripped over a few stones hidden in the shadows. Dry, velvet lips parted as pink tongue lapped at their edges, nape arching and lowering as dusty tassels ripple down over his obsidian crown. The closer he get the more excited he became. Not bothering to stop at the edge of the stream, but instead strutting right on into it. 

Nostrils flared as he took a deep breath, exhaling over the waters surface before submerging his lips into the cool running liquid. Glowing pools closed once more, savoring this very welcomed refreshment. He drank and he drank; dipping his nostrils under the surface from time to time spouting bubbles of joy. The dirty old man could have fun once in a while, right? It was in this moment, that he had made up his mind. He would never again leave Helovia- he was going to die here someday. 

Obsidian legs shifted, moving deeper into the creek. It was very shallow, narrow but fast moving. He wanted to feel the rush over all his hooves, to wipe away the dust and the mud. He had half the mind to lay down in it, roll around completely.  "You old fool." He chuckled to himself, as he turned his gaze away from the water and to the surrounding forest. They were out there, somewhere. Watching probably, waiting for a slip up. He couldn't sleep here, not tonight. Not alone. He was very eager to see what would come crawling out of the night. He needed a place to refresh, and regain his strength. But still he stood, glowing crimson pools flashed through the trees as he shrugged and once again lowered his lips to the waters surface for another sip of satisfaction. 

They'll be coming, soon enough.

OOC: Open to anyone that wants to say hello. I'm not sure where he's going yet. I am rusty with him, so please bare with me as I warm up again.  

@Nyx

Image Credit

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow

Nyx will freely admit that Threshold duties bore the tits off her, but they are a necessary part of maintaining her position as General. The last thing she feels like doing, especially when she's still basking in the warm afterglow of some naughtyness with Gaucho, is wandering the world giving smalltalk to strangers. But it's the least she can do when, knowing her luck, she'll probably soon be pregnant and useless again. But, she reasons, don't care, had sex.

There's a distinct spring in her step as she trots through the Threshold. A good seeing-to livens the mind and loosens the muscles, and she feels on top of the world as she even dares break into a canter. The silver throws her head like a filly in spring, kicking up her heels and revelling in the sensation of the hard ground beneath her hooves. A panting Dominus struggles to keep up, but speed is not his strong suit and he soon gives up. He lags behind, whilst his bonded bounds ahead in a fit of high spirits. She sniffs the air, trying to catch the scent of something suitable to try and recruit to the Edge....and an aroma reaches her that makes her heart skip a beat.

Father!

Her canter turns to a gallop, a ground-devouring charge that soon has her neck lathered in sweat and her muscles screaming for mercy. She cannot believe what her nose is telling her. She'd thought him dead, but hadn't dared mourn because that would make it real. She'd been so sure that he'd never come back that she had used him as part of her lie to cover up her last pregnancy, but none of that matters to her as she rounds a copse of trees and sees him. He's drinking, and normally it is the height of ill-manners to interrupt a man sating his thirst, but all common decency flies out the window for Nyx at the sight of him. She's always been a daddy's girl - not least because her mother was an complete bitch - and seeing him here, alive, makes her heart soar.

She slows, skidding towards him and seeking to fling her neck over his and haul him close. "Father!" she purrs, nustling her muzzle into him and savouring the familiar dad-smell. "Where've you been? I thought you were dead, you old fart!" Her scolding lacks malice, and relief floods her as she looks him up and down.

@Nato

Other characters have permission to use magic/violence against Nyx at any time.

Hidden Account
Candy

The natural melody of the forest was refreshing, the moons rays dancing upon the dry brittle earth below as he stood quenching his thirst. Silence shattered by singing crickets, chirping their tune of the night. It was good to be home again, secured in the darkness of the night. Lobes flicker to the sound of hooves clashing with stone, in his mindless-day-dream he hadn't noticed someone was aproching, rapidly. Quickly his crown arose from the waters surface, liquid still running from his lips and across his chizzled chest. He was too late, within that instant all he saw was a flash of white, like a ghost in the darkness before suddenly..

Father!

Father? Crimson eyes flashed, sore muscles tensed as suddenly he was in an embrace. Lobes peal back into his obsidian threads as lips were about to make their way to the subjects skin. Nostrils flare a deep breath and just like that, time seemed to stand still. Nyx he thought to himself, her lingering musk entangling in his mind. Instantly, lobes eased and lopped to the side in dis belief, neck curling around to hold her there. If he wasn't such an old grump, a tear or two might have creased his dusty cheeks.

"Nyx." He said softly, a smile creeping upon his lips to the sound of her voice. Awe struck, he only caught about half of her sentence, Where have you been?

Where had he been, was a very fine question. But right now he was in a dream like stupor, this couldn't be real could it? Twisting his bulky frame to face her, crimson eyes looked her over from hoof to ear tips, her haunting electric eyes adorning the beauty of her dam. It was her. Ink dipped lobes flicked forth, and then back again at the sight of a ivory creature running into their direction. What was that.. thing?

It was following his daughter, and a sudden sensation rippled through his body as he danced forth a few steps, arching his neck to peek at the carnivore. "Watch out!" He growled, aiming his spiral sword towards the creature. He just got his daughter back, and this.. thing wasn't about to have it's lunch.

@Nyx

Happiness floods her as they embrace, and a sedate whinny of joy echoes through the still forest air. He's back. He's old - that much is obvious, she's not sure if they're grey hairs she sees flecking his deep black fur or whether it's her imagination - but he's alive, and the heart of steel that beats slowly inside her chest begins to thaw just a fraction at the sight of him. He's back, and dammit, this time he's not getting out of her sight.

Dominus - panting, sweaty and infuriated - lopes closer, his thick mane bounding around his neck and his mouth open to display deadly fangs as his tongue lolls between them. Nyx glances to him, and suddenly her sire's voice lights up the clearing - he aims his horn towards the lion, and the mare eyes widen in alarm. "Father, no!" She throws herself forwards, blocking her companion from view, and her father's horn sinks deeply into her own shoulder. Her ears pin and she releases a gargled groan (injuries hurt so much more outside battle, when she doesn't have the adrenaline pumping in order to numb them) and as she peels herself away from the agonising spear upon her father's brow, she finds herself subconsciously pleased at the fact that he can still pack a considerable punch even at his age. "It's fine, he's fine - he's mine, Father, he's my companion. He won't hurt us."

But the white lion has other ideas. He only sees a man trying to attack him and his precious bonded, so does what he does best - defends her. He roars, a booming and chest-deep sound that seems beyond a creature of his size, and lunges forwards with claws slipping free from their sheaths in his paws. "Dominus, don't you dare!" Now it's him she steps in front of, her shoulder still bleeding freely and staining her grey coat crimson. She remembers that she needs not speak aloud to him, and channels her words through their bond instead; Dominus, this is my father - remember, the one I told you about? He's here, he's back.

The lion stops in his tracks and withdraws his claws, but still growls darkly. "Why your sire attack me, and you? Lion not attack his cub." The silver soldier focuses on him, still casting the occasional wary glance between him and Nato. He thought you were going to attack us. He was trying to protect me. At this, Dominus considers, but still glares at Nato with a dangerous snarl continuing to rumble like approaching thunder in his throat. Nyx looks back to her sire, her chest heaving, her shoulder throbbing. "Father, meet Dominus. Dominus, my Father, Nato." Not the introduction she'd dreamt of between the two most important men in her life.

@Nato

Hidden Account
Candy

Veins pulse with adrenaline as the ghostly creature approached, muscles tighten with anticipation- Willing and prepared to take another life should it threaten him and his daughter. It was coming, yards, feet, inches..

Father, no!

Twisted spear recoiled instantly, heaving upwards and away as it made contact with his daughters skin. Her voice, painful and worried; What..? Wide-eyed and confused, he stepped back- pools twinkle with terror as they rested upon her bleeding shoulder. Deep breaths rumbled in his chest, as apologies linger on the tip of his lips. So much was happening, he was focusing on his daughter and the creature over her flank. Companion?

Obsidian limbs locked in place, leaning backwards as his crown elevated to eye the white beast over her bodice. A booming roar of a carnivore echos through the pine, and for that moment anger flooded his mind and heart. What have I done. Lobes pinned against his matted obsidian locks as she screamed, disaplining the creature. He couldn't help but stare at the feline as it glared at him; the haunting growls causing a deep snort to erupt from flared nostrils in distaste at the end of their introduction.

Dominus she called it. Crimson pools narrowed as he glared, observing the beast. As if to say, look what you have done. He could have seriously injured Nyx, and it was that thought that pulled his attention back to her shoulder. A sudden gentleness falling over his once angry, yet confused face.  "I-I'm sorry.. your shoulder." He frowned, hating himself for ever harming one of his own. Ignoring her companion for the time being, he instead waded out of the water and over to a large leafy shrub. Ivory teeth firmly snatching a hold of the foliage base, plucking a large soft leaf.

For a brief moment, he wondered how stupid he looked, walking around with an over grown leaf in his mouth. But this wasn't about him, it was about what he did to his own daughter- even if it was a mistake. He sighed, dipping the leaf into the water, softening it before walking to Nyx's side. "ths- migh-hurh" He mumbled through his grip on the dripping foliage between his teeth before gently pressing it against her wound, hoping that the moisture would cling to her skin and at least soothe the pain.

"Dominus." He acknowledged, glancing at the lion for but a moment. Before tending to his daughter again. "You must really care about him. I could have seriously injurged you."  He scolded her lightheartedly, a gentle nudge pressing up against her mane. She smelled of home- of him. They really needed to stop meeting this way. But he had no intention of going anywhere, not again. It felt good to be home. But he also wondered if Nyx was still part of the Worlds Edge as they all had been before. He couldn't quite remember the scent, she smelled of something but it wasn't of residence. A hoof shuffled as he stood back slightly, lobes of ink flicking forth. "I'm very much alive, by the way." He chuckled deeply with a grin trying his best to change the mood, remembering her prior question before the drama unfolded with her companion. He may be old, but he isn't quite skeletal waste yet. "Still living in the Edge? Or have you conquered somewhere else?" Bold words, thinking his daughter had the capability and privileges to run a herd.

Of course she did. Nyx, was the daughter of the Ninja. 

@Nyx

Her shoulder throbs and stings, even moreso when her father oozes water against it and adds a leaf as well. But the liquid soothes after a while, and she can rest safe in the knowledge that at least it hopefully shouldn't get infected. That would be embarassing - slain by her father's sword. She does her best to remain still and not show how much it hurts, choosing instead to brush it off with a flippant remark. "Good to see you've still got a bit of fight in you, old fart," she says with her trademark grin.

He addresses Dominus, who scrutinises him closely. Nyx detects a barrage of emotions from the white lion - suspicion, as he'd attacked his bonded, and yet respect for the fact that this is the man who sired the mare he's joined minds with. "Aye, I do care about him. He's joined to my mind, Father. He's part of me - losing him would be unbearable." She glances down to the ivory predator, who fixes her with his intense blue stare. They might bicker like brother and sister, but they are one.

He remarks about his alive-ness, and she grins. Thank the heavens she is - she cannot imagine life without him. Even when he's not in Helovia and she is, she can rest assured that he's out there somewhere. He asks about the Edge, and her grin widens. "I'm General of the Edge now - boss of the warriors, that's me. So much has changed, Father, I've got so much to tell you. You've got grandkids in the Edge, you know. Four.....well, two, but actually four....I'll explain on the way." She shifts backwards a fraction so she can fix him with her beady stare, her tail swishling idly behind her. "You are coming back with me, aren't you? Because that Dad Of The Year award is getting taken right off you if you stab me in the shoulder and then ditch me. Not that I'm blackmailing you or anything." Another hint of that wolfish grin. How could he possibly say no?

@Nato do you want a thread in a neutral land where they're walking to the Edge? That way at least you're not in limbo :D

Hidden Account
Candy

He stood quietly and listened to her delicate voice, realizing just how much he missed being in her company. A sudden rush of guilt flooded his mind, as he wasn't around as much as he should have been. He should have never left this place, the several times that he had; just settling for the known and familiar. As she continued, pridefully talking about her bonded, he gave a gentle nod of acceptance. He had never personally had a companion and honestly didn't seek one. Having someone else in your mind just seemed creepy to him.

But to her next statement, as she said she is the General of the Edge a wide grin creased old lips. She had managed to become a general, leader among warriors. -Proud dad moment- Grand kids too? Crimson eyes widen as he looks over her wound again, this wasn't going to make a good first impression now was it? Yeah kids, I'm your grandpa and apparently I beat my children. He cleared his throat deeply at the thought. "I'm a grandpa?" The words rolled off his tongue as the sudden reality of age slapped him in the face.

Fuck I'm getting old

A single chuckle fluffed his lips as she mentioned Dad of the year. He knew he was far from even being listed on that chart. But rubbing the fact that he had wounded her and could possibly ditch her kinda, hurt his feelings a bit. "I guess you leave me with no choice." He offered a forgiving grin, taking a few steps toward her as they were on their way, to a good conversation. Something he hadn't had in a long time.

@Nyx - Sure, start a thread somewhere and tag me <3