the Rift

Songs of Morning

Gry Posts: 4
Unclaimed
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 :: 11
Rien
It was dawn.

Gry lifted her head from her bed among the undergrowth. The sky was lightening to rose and fire from ink and velvet. It was time to move on. For a moment, she put her head back down, amber eyes closed against the morning. She inhaled the scents of rich earth. Already she dreaded in some small way the warmth of the sun would bring. Her travels seemed to bring her to ever-warmer places. Winter was a memory. She missed the kiss of snow now that spring's bounty had again covered her ribs and filled out her frame beneath the shaggy grey coat.

She wondered if it was worth getting up.

Then with a heavy sigh she gathered her stocky legs beneath her and stood. A hard shake scattered the worst of the leaf litter and dirt from her shaggy coat though it would not release all the grime of travel. How romantic long journeys were in stories. The bards who wrote them seemed to forget the little inconveniences like the dirt and the way that her throat seemed to constrict from the lack of conversation, as though her voice was withering and dying.

A few quick steps brought her out of the protective embrace of undergrowth where she had slept and onto a broader avenue between trees. Here she stretched her wings, luxuriating in the feeling of stiff muscles loosening and the slight breeze lifting her feathers. When she had left her home, she had not had the strength to fly. In the months since winter broke and with it the famine, she had regained not only weight but strength. Yesterday she had soared most of the day and today she could still feel the lingering soreness in her muscles, still not as primed as they once were. Too, she was not as young as she once was. She did not recover with the elasticity of youth.

With a last, good shake of her wings, she folded them close. Already she could feel the sun's creeping heat as it climbed higher into the sky. She picked up an easy walk- in truth, she had no destination. So, why should she hurry?

On the other hand, perhaps she should choose a direction, even if she had no destination. Resolutely the grey mare turned her path north, where she could see the peaks of grey stone mountains beyond the forest.

It would be good to see snow again.

OOC:// Preference for Basin but I know she's not a uni XD She's friendly though so throw any ol' person in.

Persephone Posts: 45
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.0 hh :: 6 (ages in Orangemoon)
Alecto :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams ChaoticMelodies
this old world has brought me pain
               but there's hope for me again
I am growing braver.

It happens in baby steps, little moments that I realize would not be happening had I remained alone in the Halcyon Flats. I cannot even bring myself to fear Archibald anymore, for in my misguided imprisonment, I have found a form of salvation. I have a home. I have a herd. They are not family, not yet, but the hope that they could be is there. I look to the future and I see light rather than an endless tunnel of darkness.

I suppose it is my newfound peace that drives me, somehow, to leave the Hidden Falls and wander through Helovia. I do not travel far - no, I have only found myself a short distance east of my home - but it is far enough that I have come across an area that I have not seen before. The shift from the hills that hide the Falls is subtle, so much so that I barely notice anything has changed. Then, almost suddenly, I look around and see a forest stretching as far as the eye can see. No more hills, no more crash of water in the background - I have arrived in the Threshold.

And, it would seem, I am not alone.

I have come across a pegasus mare in my wanderings. She is covered in a ragged coat of grey, starkly contrasting my own smooth, multicolored pelt. She belongs to the north; it is obvious, for even in Birdsong she wears layers of winter. I hesitate, but my newfound courage prevails; I step forward, calling a soft greeting. "Hello," I say, a small smile on my lips. "Are you new to Helovia?"

"Persephone speaks."
Persephone
Image by Xyroca
[Image: 5626e4bc4fe1a]
pixel by Kiara <3

Please tag Persephone in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.
Persephone always goes by the alias "Cora."

Want to plot with Persephone? Visit her plot page here!

Rexanna Posts: 499
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 7 years HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Marembo :: Marbled Polecat :: None Skylark
The Thief moved, leaving behind the snowy cavern of her home in search of more to join. Faces had been leaving and suddenly she found herself in the middle of what was turning into a wasteland. But that surely wouldn’t do. She wouldn’t stand letting her home become nothing more than ghosts, gliding between each cave and passing by each other without so much as a hello. There needed to be more that shared her interest in the mountainous landscape similar to her homeland. So she turned her eyes to the Threshold, a place she was sure to find someone. A place she was sure even if it weren’t going to be a newcomer, she might get the chance to reconnect with a friendly face.

As the sun moved ahead in the sky, Rexanna moved along. Her polecat companion sitting snugly along her withers, clutching her dual toned mane in his tiny black paws as bright blue eyes danced around the familiar environment. He had become protective of her after everything that had happened. He wasn’t going to let his attention be drawn away from her surroundings any further. Where he lacked in eyesight, he made up for it with his nose and large fluffy ears. He was the one to alert her to people nearby. So he guided her, mentally pulling and tugging at her to show her where there was something of interest. She followed, happy to have some time to herself after just recently birthing twins.

Stepping closer, she could hear a voice asking something if they were new to Helovia. Rexanna’s creamy ears perked in curiosity as her gilded body slid closer into view. Her chains clinking across her brow as well as her body as she moved, her exotic striped face adorned with a golden horn was the first to appear out of the barrage of trees. Dipping her head to each of the creatures, she took note of the mare that had spoken first. She looked like a sunset, and she was vaguely familiar. Perhaps Rexanna could ask about it later. Marembo directed the Thief to the newcomer as a bright smile reached her lips as she dipped her head to the pegasus as well. She was shorter than the Thief, but built well. Her wings were also large and barred with an ebony that seemed to pull away from the overall greyish white the mare’s body was. But nevertheless, the two creatures Rexanna had encountered here today were very beautiful in their own strikingly opposite ways.

Hello to you both! I’m Rexanna, from the Aurora Basin.” She began, shifting her weight slightly so Marembo could squeak his own hello. “Welcome to Helovia.” She smiled brightly once more, eyes shifting to the sunrise mare that seemed to have asked a question earlier. So the Thief waited, to see if this other mare was indeed new to Helovia.

Talk!
rexanna
I’d rather be your absinthe than your cup of tea.

@Gry @Persephone
[Image: lovelyskylark.gif?8]
Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Rexanna, without killing her.
Please tag in every post!

Unclaimed
Rien
Just like that, the land got a bit less wild.  A bit less lonely.  The gray pegasus paused at the arrival of the multi-colored mare.  Never had Gry seen anyone with a pelt quite so striking.  Her lips can't help but part in an answering warm smile.  Helovia.  She tucks the name of the land away, filed into her memory for later.  It is good to know where she puts her hooves.  

Before she can answer, another mare appears.  Like the first she is beautiful, draped in gold.  Gry wonders if she is royalty, adorned so.  Like the first mare she is taller than the stocky fjord, slender-limbed and sleek-coated.  She also smiles.  Good, apparently the residents of this place are hospitable to strangers.  It puts the land she has entered in high regard to Gry.  Such hospitality is vital to civilized folk, she thinks.

"I have never been here before," she gives as an answer, her voice rich and low and full of the musical notes of her home tongue.  "I am Gry, of Arviksan."

It doesn't matter in her heart that she left, Arviksan is the isle that shaped her.  It's cliffs, valleys, and people were her home.  She does not know if she will ever go back but it does not mean that she will forget it.  So she claims it as her origin, and not even a flicker of sorrow shakes her.  She made her choice, and she will not regret where it has taken her.  "It is quite a long way from here.  Would you tell what you can of your home?"

The question is gentle, curious as her bright amber eyes survey first the dawn-colored unicorn and then Rexanna.  Her feathers shift and ruffle with only a whisper of sound as she settles the more closely along her sides.  It is easy to mostly ignore the fact that summer shed has made her shaggy coat patchy and her thick, black and white mane and tail are somewhat tangled and matted when she is faced with strangers.  Who can tell what stories they might share.  

@Persephone @Rexanna

Outcast
I have only just arrived beside the stranger when yet another appears from between the trees. She is lean and fit, a cream color with golden markings that draw the eye. I have never seen her before (but that is not particularly surprising). Black lines her eyes, and a golden chain accents the pretty lines of her face. She introduces herself as Rexanna, smiling in greeting; satisfied that both mares are friendly, I relax, pleased to have found myself in good company. The stranger introduces herself as well, though I do not recognize the name of her homeland. It seems, then, that it is my turn to speak. "I am Cora," I tell them easily, the alias falling from my lips without much thought. "Of the Hidden Falls."

Gry asks for information about Helovia, and I find myself hesitant to respond. My experience in this land has been limited, at best. I fell through the Rift to find myself on foreign soil, refused to move on from the Halcyon Flats for seasons out of fear for what might lurk beyond. It wasn't until Archibald the Dauntless captured saved me from myself that I really found a place within this land to call my own. One day, I really must thank him.

"Helovia has many beautiful lands within its borders," I say finally, "Though I have explored little in comparison to many who dwell here. Of the Hidden Falls, I can say that it is lovely - waterfalls cloak the land there, hiding the herd from those outside. The leaders are just and fair -" and terrifying, but I don't think it prudent to mention as much, "- and my herdmates are kind. I know little of other lands," I add, glancing at Rexanna with a shy smile. I am sure that she will have more to say than I about the lands of Helovia. Surely she is braver than I, to have travelled all this way from the north; surely she has seen more, has more to offer.

"Persephone speaks."
Persephone
Image by Xyroca

@Rexanna
pixel by Kiara <3

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Thankfully, Rexanna hadn’t missed out on much when she had arrived. Marembo, pleased that the company was kind and full of mares (he was more partial to mares than stallions, it seemed), beamed at them with bright blue beady eyes as his head swiveled to keep up with those talking. Rexanna’s own oceanic eyes rested gently on the pegasus mare as she began to speak. No longer did Rexanna have to worry about bringing home only unicorns. Her Lord had said at the last meeting that the borders were open for all. The thought elated her that she’d no longer have to see herself out on the possibility that a pegasus or equine wanted to visit the North. She was able to bring them all home now, and she was excited and pleased at the options she was faced with now.

Dipping her head to Gry as she finished introducing herself, the pegasus mare began to ask of their homes. Turning her attention onto the sunrise hued mare, she offered her a gentle smile - curiosity looming within her where this mare lived. As she began to introduce herself, Rexanna placed the names deep within her, waiting her own turn as she took in the information from the other mare here. She lived in the Hidden Falls, a place Rexanna knew very few people to be. She knew of the small bald faced stallion Ezital and the bright colt - Murtagh - that had helped her retrieve her chains when she had managed to lose them. As far as she knew, the Falls was full of friendly beasts, and as Persephone began to speak of them, Rexanna nodded along with her. The words she spoke were exactly how she imagined the Falls to be from what she heard of it. However, when she spoke of knowing very little of the other lands, Rexanna knew she could help the sunset mare out. The Fall’s mare glanced toward the Thief and she offered her an encouraging smile.

She turned her attention to Gry and then to Persephone, addressing them both with soft words. “It’s a pleasure to meet you both, Gry and Cora.” She began, letting her oceanic gaze drift over to the pegasus mare once again to answer her question. “As I said before, I’m from the Aurora Basin. It’s a land the furthest North you can go in Helovia. We live surrounded by the tall peaks of the mountains and the gentle snowfall that falls throughout the year. It’s cold, but beautiful. Every night the aurora dances across the sky.” She paused briefly. “There are two other herds as well. The World’s Edge is to the east, a place full of trees and mist that live along the cliffside. Then along the south, there’s the Dragon’s Throat. From what I hear, it’s more of a desert like climate. Both of those lands are beautiful, as well as the Falls, but I was born far from Helovia in a mountain landscape. The Basin only seemed right for me, and I couldn’t be happier with my choice.” She admitted, flicking her dual toned tail against her ashen hocks. “I’d be happy to show you both to the Basin, if you’d like.” Turning her oceanic gaze to “Cora” of the Falls. “I’d be happy to offer you a tour of Basin as well, if you ever want to see what else is here in Helovia.” She offered her a bright smile. Perhaps she could come find the Falls mare and invite her to the Festival they were planning. Perhaps doing so would prevent others from finding the Basin to be so cold and isolated.

Talk!
rexanna

@Gry @Persephone

Unclaimed
Rien
She listened, comitting names and commentary to heart.  Cora.  Hidden Falls. Rexanna. Aurora Basin.  With the names and herdlands, she fixed the images of them in her mind.  It was easy- they were foreign, distinct, and wonderous.  She would not soon forget their faces.  The beauty that Cora described made her eager to explore, to compare her falls of veiled in mist to the crashing, icy wonders that thundered down cliff faces in her home.  

Then Rexanna spoke, and Gry's face turned wistful and full of longing.  Aurora is not a word she is immediately familiar with but based on the way the mare described it, she can guess.  Still she hesitates, not sure if she is correct.  "The aurora-" she stresses the word, pronouncing the syllables carefully and clearly. "It is the blush of the sky?  A veil of colors over the stars?"  

She can't help but speak of it with some reverence, nor does she try and keep it from her voice.  The display of lights is something she hasn't seen in near half a year, she thinks.  And it is significant to her.  "I would like to see it.  I would like to see your home, I too am from a place of mountains."

The neat grey head turns towards Cora.  "Perhaps another time you could show me the Falls?  I do not know if I have ever seen anything like you describe, though there are some waterfalls in my home."  It is instinct for the pegasus to try to make friends with all those she comes across.  People are precious too her, more precious than any material object.

@Rexanna @Persephone

Outcast
As Rexanna spoke, the polecat perched upon her shoulders grinned at Gry and I, seemingly as pleased as his bonded to have met friendly new folk. I tilt my head to the side, considering him; I have not seen many companions in this land, and each one is a treasure to behold. They are all so very different - I wonder what it is like to share one's soul with another creature, to have something to always rely on by your side. It is, I think, something that I would appreciate more than most.

Of the north, I listened closely, my curiosity piqued in spite of the nerves that come to me as I think of traveling that far from my home. I have heard little and less of the unicorns of the Basin, nor had I ever been present for the dark rumors that plagued them. Even if I had been, it may not have reached my ears until it was too late - I am, after all, horned. As it were, I allowed Rexanna's description to wash over me, enjoying the imagined beauty of her home. She grants us short descriptions of the other herds as well, something that I am particularly appreciative of given my limited knowledge of Helovia.

Having never been to the Threshold before, recruitment is far from my mind; and so when Gry decides to accompany Rexanna to the north, I meet the decision with a polite nod and a smile. For me, it is enough to have simply made pleasant contact with those outside my own herd - to perhaps even sow the seeds for those I might one day call friends. "I, too, would love to see these aurora, Rexanna," I admit, ducking my head shyly. "Perhaps I will visit you in the north." Someday, perhaps - once I have grown bolder, more confident in the lands surrounding my own. When I do not have to return to the Falls on my own.

"I wish you the best, Gry. I hope the Aurora Basin is exactly what you are looking for." I dip my head politely to the two of them. "It was lovely meeting you both. I'll be on my way; I'm sure your journey north would be best undertaken in daylight." And with one last smile, I am on my way, traveling back toward the Hidden Falls, where I belong.

"Persephone speaks."
Persephone
Image by Xyroca

@Gry
pixel by Kiara <3

After the Thief had finished speaking, she allowed her gaze to dance between the two mares. When Gry began to speak, all ears were on her as she listened intently to the description the pegasus mare spoke of. Nodding to her with a bright smile, the Thief looked up to the sky for a mere moment. “Yes. All the colors you could think of, there dancing across the stars as if nobody were watching.” Her voice was gentle but full of pride at the beauty of the home she had lived in for nearly two years now. Lowering her head back to Gry, she nodded gently, the smile still on her lips as Gry began to address Persephone.

Then the sunset mare began to speak as well, speaking of visiting the North to view such things she had spoken of. Rexanna nodded to her as well, Marembo squeaking behind her with joy at the possibility of so many new people and friends. “You’re more than welcome to visit.” She admitted, offering her a genuine smile. Then, when Persephone began to address Gry once again, she let her eyes linger on the Falls mare. “I do hope we cross paths again, Cora. It was nice meeting you.” She called to the mare as she turned to leave.

Then, her attention lingered on Gry for a few moments with a gentle smile. “It’s a bit of a long journey to the North. I’m sure you’ve been traveling a while. We can take as many breaks as you’d like.” Her voice was gentle as her and Marembo stepped a bit closer to the monochrome mare. “It’s this way.” She nodded her head to the left, remembering the trees and curves in the path that would guide their way home.

Talk!
rexanna

@Gry you can reply once more if you’d like and I can get started on the welcoming thread :D

Unclaimed
Rien
"A pleasure meeting you as well." Gry does not forget her manners as the sunset mare turns to leave, head bobbing politely though Cora's back is already turned. As she disappears off into the trees. Then the bright amber eyes turn back to Rexanna, sparked with an eager, curious energy. She is among people and that alone makes the prospect of the future much less dreary. And she hopes, in a wistful way, that the Aurora Basin will be more than just a temporary resting place. She is tired of travelling. She wants to settle.

"I have been travelling long, yes, but I rested well last night. I do not believe we will have to take it too slowly." She ruffles her wings and takes a few quick steps in the direction the golden mare indicated. Her eyes fall briefly on the polecat and she has nothing but a friendly smile for the small, fuzzy creature. "Please, lead on!"

Perhaps the growing heat of the day helps increase her enthusiasm as well. If the Basin is cooler than that alone will delight her.

OOC:// Yes, start the welcoming thread! Sorry this took so long to reply aaaand it's short >.>
@Rexanna