the Rift

[PRIVATE] nothing's gonna hurt you baby

Amara Posts: 136
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 hh :: 6 years HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sameira :: Royal Hellhound :: Hellfire dark
heads up:
at "Mother's gentle syllables" it begins to get lowkey gory, so if you're not a fan of that/cant handle it i suggest skipping to "Look now,"
Amara
Tangled, crushed limbs squirm unceremoniously, seeking attention (Gods, I didn't realize it would be this painful) from its host. My ears draw back every time the child moves, striking out against the layers of flesh holding it back from the outside, keeping it imprisoned beneath chestnut hide. They sought escape, to flee their confinement and run wild into the cruel world my body protected them from (I will always keep you safe)— joints prodded and legs unfurled, building tension gathered beneath the dull freckled coat. Soon the pressure would be released, an explosive pop to the swelling of my abdomen, a relief to no longer be weighed down with the reminder of my sin. Instead, I will glue it to my hip (Keep it away from me) and bear it, shamed by its chaotic presence at my side— I do not want it.

The final months are spent lingering at the edge of the Throat, kissing the waters with desperate hooves and weary lips— thinking that perhaps I will submerge myself in the salt ridden waters, bloated and unwell I'll sink to the sand bottom and rest there, rotting away beneath the ocean's surface. Yes, I think that will do. If I just resist the urges to scramble to the surface, let the cold marble of my heavy hooves sink deeper into the rolling sands, inhale the burning water as I succumb to death— then neither I nor the damned babe will have to plague this earth.

The thoughts of death came and went, whispering positively of the outcome, how pleasant the feeling of release will be. They eat away at me, my sleepless mind desperate for the comfort of unconsciousness as the voices infect my head. They do not leave me be, hissing with malcontent at the idea of a child. (I'll kill that thing if you won't, something from a whore doesn't deserve life) They'll come as a collective, washing away my thoughts in turn of their own, moaning into my ears that they know a solution to my ever growing problem. (Starve it out)(Beat it)(Feed it to the wolves) Each syllable flows smoothly into the next, a collective mass seeking the demise of the babe.

In some moments, I begin to believe them, begin to believe that I can let this child go— that with enough force this festering growth inside of me can come to an end and I can pretend it never happened. I consider it deeply, rolling over the idea of ending the babe's life before they can even escape the fleshy prison in which they reside, slipping a lifeless body from between tarnished thighs— sick. The idea sends me reeling, gagging in disgust at the idea of a lifeless mess flopping helplessly onto the ground beneath me. No.

Days before, I flee. I escape the Throat on tired wings and desperation— I cannot let them (her) see me vulnerable and distraught, cannot hope to ruin the babe when there are dozens of eyes watching me (there always are). I take myself away from the sandy island, finding safety beneath the trees of the meadow until the final hours tick by, and the time comes. "You're a sitting duck like this, fat and plump— ripe for the picking. What predator will dare to take the leap, will scurry forth for a scrumptious bite?" The grin stretches wide, corners curling up and glittering golden eyes hungering for the destruction of a family. They seek out my downfall, the great collapse of a weary mind, the slipping of calloused fingers— for too long I've held on, and they're here now to unravel the whittled down strength of character, strength of mind, to tear apart the hope of normality.

White-tipped ears fall back, amber clashing with precious metal as their twisted smile only grows until they're gazing back at me with an impossibly wide grin. Their impatience is unsettling, golden eyes wide and malicious, starved for the blood of innocents as they loom over me at the ready. The time has come, and they are here for the grand finale of it all. With an eagerness none can describe they wait, bay coat trembling with anticipation of the chaos that they'll create— they seek an absolute catastrophe, an irreversible madness to grace my weakened soul.

"Need Sameira now?" The familiar brush of our bond, a soothing presence to keep the instability at bay, gentle touches to the most painful places keep me calm if only for a moment. You are out hunting, seeking the nutrients you'd disregarded in favour of watching over me as I lay open for attack. Now your vigil was over, put on hold as you sought out sustenance. Not now, I'll call you when I do. But I won't, mind subdued in a state of shock and fatigue, torn apart by gnarled fingers.

The pain is intolerable, agonizing and overwhelming as the world falls away at the edges of my vision, replaced by rattling static and terror. Everything is falling apart inside of me, my fragile bones blistering and organs burning away as the babe seeks escape. Dirty thighs spread wide, lustrous hips opened in preparation for the arrival of devil spawn— the voices chant with unsettling joy, cheering as the first signs of distress begin to contort my features. From scarred lips comes a guttural cry, body collapsing as the child begins its journey to the world outside. Nothing has ever felt more disgusting, more wrong in my entire life— the punishment for sin is not worth the three seconds of forgotten pleasure, tearing apart my body with unrelenting force. There is little time to breathe, to take in air, damp with overexertion as another cry tumbles from trembling lips (This is what whore get).

It's everlasting destruction of a weak body, everything giving in to the intolerable pain of a body in labour. Golden eyes watch from a distance, focused solely on the beginnings of a child gathering beneath my tail, hefty grin kept prominent on black lips. They just watched and waited, my turmoil only just beginning. The pain of motherhood was sickening, foul odors clinging to the slick, wet body of the babe as they began to slip free of my hold (Here she comes!). My face scrunches up in the final tantalizing moments, brows knit and sweat dripping from hollow muscles, staining the earth beneath me. "There it is," they coo from somewhere off to the side, devious and wicked as their strides carry them closer and closer. They're hovering over the sopping wet mass of pitch black, golden eyes wide with bewilderment and corners of their lips stretching beyond the cheek— they hum something bittersweet and wretched, throat gurgling as they open their wings to usher my attention to the child. "What a blessing life is, hm? Just look at the state this little shit is in, how disgusting. It's a shame you won't be leaving the way your mother had." Ears draw back and a lip begins to curl, solidified marble rumbling beneath the pressures of motherhood (I will keep you safe). Comfort is found in the final sentence, the cooling liquid between tainted thighs just the aftermath of birth, not the beginning of death.

The babe is there, long limbs and wet fur, a pile of me (and him)— this thing came from me, born of my flesh and blood, curled up defensively with shoulders trembling. Several long minutes are spent gazing down at the life I created, at the babe born of the Damned and the Indomitable— the babe who will suffer too greatly in a life never meant to be. "You're supposed to clean it, warm it up, make it feel loved." Amber slides to spotted ebony, then back to bloodied midnight. My stomach churned with the unpleasant idea of tasting that, tongue hesitant to reach out for the small shoulder—

It tasted wretched.

My mouth screams at the idea of cleaning all of it. Ears flatten and my nose wrinkles, head recoiling from the taste of the babe at my hooves— sick sick sick SIC K SICK SICK. I want to vomit, to release the coiling tension in my gut as I get to cleaning, performing the ritual that I'd so selfishly interrupted when Zhu was born. I still did not understand, even as I cleansed my own child of my bodily fluids, why this was important. Clean away the sins, keep the child fresh, do not tarnish the innocence with your foul existence. I do not want to clean, do not want to deal with the babe at all. Kill it, kill it kill it killitkillitkiLLITKILLIT.

She's pristine, ivory freckled figure slumped against the earth, hugging the soft grasses and daring not to move— if not for the gentle rise and fall of a small rib cage, I would have believed my work to be done for me and left the body for whatever gluttonous animal came by. But no, a small heart beat beneath a shivering breast, precious life contained beneath onyx hide— I hate it. Hate it. They lean forward, sinister words tangled up in my mind as they push their nose towards the filly. "How ugly. Ah! But look!" Horror, purest shock and fear settle upon my face, gut wrenched as the terror eats away at the rationality of my thoughts (What is that? What the FUCK is THAT?).

No, nononononNONONONONONONO why me, why this? There, embedded in the preciously petite head of the newborn, are those same, glittering eyes as those that stare down at me now— gold. The same colour, coated crimson and crunching, tearing beneath the weight of my hooves, soft flesh parting to make way for angry slate hooves. The panic is vocalized, a series of frantic words (Pray, pray that I am merciful! Pray that you will die quickly!) spewed from quaking lips, amber eyes darkened by the unease. (Kill it)(End it now!)(Take the eyes!) Ah— ah. That's when it clicks, snaps, shatters.

No more is the dismay, the violent surprise— the realization of the curse. But there is ease, understanding. That is what I must do, that is what shall become of me now, a harbinger of destruction and terror, marble skin representing the solidified distress of a thousand lives, a million lost souls begging for my mercy. This one particular life, cannot beg, not now, if I succeed, not ever. They praise me quietly, hushed whispers and delicate coos urging me forward, over the weak babe. "Now, do it now. The birth was not quiet so you must be quick, take away the torment, end the pain." Mother's gentle syllables fall from my lips, venomous and fatal as I reach with bared teeth, blunt ivory scraping against new skin. "Hold still."

The process is frantic and messy, uncaring as canines itch to take away the curse, the sign of damnation, of my sins. Beneath a heavy hoof the newborn body squirms, but the hoof does not rise, the teeth do not retreat. Get rid of the disease, get rid of it. They grasp at something malleable and slippery, sawing away at the flesh that keeps it safe, tugging and pulling until— pop. It pulls away, bloodied lips enveloping the loose piece as the distant cries ring through my ears, cutting away at the final attachment. Freely it goes, bile rising at the metallic taste that settles, releasing the eye and letting it get swept away beneath desperate feet. Erase the evidence. The second comes easier, less struggle than the first as shock befalls the black babe— she does not know what's happening, she thinks this is life. It spills from its socket with less scraping and destruction, teeth snapping its connection and letting it roll along, kicking it away from sight. Away it goes, away the torment goes, swept away— torn away by an unidentified conscious, their sick smile only growing.

"More, more!" And so it goes. More is taken, more is ruined. Feeble wings, beaten down and tarnished, unrecognizable as the desperate wails grow louder, shortened to panicked squeals and squirms. It ceases temporarily, replaced by subtle gasps and triumphant bellows. (Look now, look upon this masterpiece! Valdís, o Goddess of Death!) In unison they cry, a foul harmony that awakens the mind and crushes the spirit. Empty amber eyes return, gazing down upon the disaster before me with something that cannot be described, a plummeting of heart and soul that makes me cautious as I step forward— I need not question who has done this, need not ask why. I know the answers. I can taste the blood and the fear, the sweat of terror as I look upon the bloodied mess and weep wholly.

It was I, it was I the Damned who broke the babe, I the Damned who ruined her so— my existence begs to cease, to fall apart and never have to face the pitiful child before me or watch her live so sorrowfully. I do not want to see her grow up so broken, so grotesquely beaten, but I cannot do anything for her now, cannot leave her on her own in a world she cannot see. The words settle on my lips, exhaled through shaky breathes and unrelenting in the way that ravage my mind, crushing my soul as I mourn the loss of myself, the loss of my baby's happiness. Forgive me, "Valdís."
@Volterra in case you wanna pop in???? good luck responding to this small novel rip
everyone else, please ask prior to posting
feel free to pm me if you have any confusion on the events within amara's posts

Valdís Posts: 24
Dragon's Throat Filly
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 1 year
dark
you should've seen by the look in my eyes,
that there was something missing
There is nothing, I am nothing— a lifeless form that resembles a child, a mistake given a physical body. I am regret, ignorance, a malicious plot that failed to work. I am composed of sorrow and war, sweat and cunning, wrapped up into one single being— what I am is nothing beautiful, nothing refined and graceful, a disaster to ruin lives, merciless and unforgiving. What I am is the consequence of a quick fuck, a needy brute and convenient woman, created out of their needs rather than want. I was a mistake.

The world I enter is nothing from the world I have come to know, wet and warm and although uncomfortable, kind. It does not hurt, does not blind me with blaring light or deafen me with unfiltered sound, it is gentle and tentative to my needs. It is all that encompasses kindness and love, however unwilling, but such great things do not last long, as I come to learn. This new world is open, an expanse of all too bright, a great contrast to the womb I'd inhabited— the brisk cold of fresh air makes my skin crawl with unwelcome cold, body quivering in response to my new environment.  I seek the warmth again, the comfort of familiarity, the welcomed quiet of entombment— I will not find it.

I find neglect and distress, confusion as the first steps of life are forgotten in favour of observation. Rather than preening, swiping careful licks across a smooth coat, it is amber boring into new flesh and my silent cry is a half-assed attempt at attention. I need to be warm again, to find myself nestled beneath caring wings and the focus of affectionate praise, the epitome of mother-child bonding. But no, I wait another grueling stretch of time before the well sought after cleanse comes, washing away the evidence of my birth and my parents' sin— I am fresh and precious, eyes open and wandering over the chestnut body that looms before me (Mamma). She is all that is there, the only being in this world to witness the grand entrance of an important new life, wavering amber distracted from my aureate eyes. And there it comes, the first and last moment I will ever have with such a kind woman.

The face I've only known for a brief moment is gone, transformed into the ugliness and cold that I would soon visualize as the world itself, the only thing I have ever seen. It is my whole world, this blur of green and vibrant terror— that is all it is made of, open fields and demons wearing guises. In those next seconds my heart rate rises, tiny organ pounding against my breast as deceivingly soft words are pulled slowly from Mamma's lips, daunting and savage as her teeth overwhelm my vision. All I see is red, pouring across the left side of my face and taking over the bright world I'd only just begun to see— newborn children should be welcomed with love, with tender kisses to soft cheeks, not with blunt teeth tearing away at easy tissue. There is goes, a blackness I will soon learn to accept, a dreaded nothingness that my mind will soon reflect.

This pain is unspeakable, my tired body wallowing in the grasses as I attempt to flounder my way away from the mad, teeth clacking together as something snaps and the left side goes dark, the searing agony of the disconnection enough to make my throat open up— out comes an onslaught of panicked screams, gargled syllables caught in my mouth as I feel her teeth strike at my face, grasping her next prize triumphantly. It comes with far less of a fight, my head light and weary as she gnaws and pulls, out it comes. The world is solely nothing, an empty space filled with the sounds of my faint cries— these are my first and only cries for help. The rest will come silently, with furrowed brows and scarred lips, uneasy hooves and misplaced steps. For a moment, I begin to assume that this is life, that it hurts, that it's supposed to feel this hopeless and disgusting, that it always will (I'm almost right).

I fall apart beneath the pressures of pain, gasping and panting as it becomes increasingly harder to recognize that I am still awake, that I am a real thing and my pain is real— the extra appendages I was barely aware of are reduced to nothingness, broken and dismantled in the blink of an eye— their destruction is irreversible, it is all irreversible. I have no hopes of witnessing the world in full bloom, it soaring above the clouds and watching life flourish beneath me, I am a maimed and discarded dream, the definition of regret. I will come to accept this.

Valdís, she says. Valdís? It is the second time I hear her speak, this time sorrowful, despairing syllables to fall from parted lips. I can hear the wetness of her tears, dripping against the ground as she watches over me like a false protector, a lie to make me feel safe (I do)— I do not understand that she is naming me, that Valdís is me. I am Valdís, but that does not register. What does is that I will soon die, that the blood from my eyes will soon thin and I will slip into deeper shock and never wake up.

Mamma's hooves leave my body, her quiet steps moving farther and farther from me until she is but a memory in my mind— she was a softness, light and wonderful for only a split second, becoming a threat, a sharpened edge that wore malice. It was a gamble on which side I would get (the bad one). She comes back now, still crying (I can here them, pit pat pit pat) against the ground, can feel them against my body. She is precise and gentle this time, the love behind her movement is enough to convince me that perhaps she did it out of kindness, out of the love in her tattered heart. Mamma is careful, working with my empty sockets and sobbing in silence to herself, whispering to an unknown someone as she works slowly. The wet of my face subsides, the false tears stopped with her swift handy work. She murmurs gently into my ear, pressing the delicate velvet of her nose into my rear in an attempt to get me to stand. I do not.

Sia, she says, another thing I do not know. Another thing of great importance, to never be forgotten.

-- testing the waters with her, idk also amara leaves to clean herself up and get things to attempt and stop the bleeding, if that was unclear

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

V O L T E R R A
OH, MY EYES ARE SEEING RED
DOUBLE VISION FROM THE BLOOD WE'VE SHED

His third birthday arrives with much less of a herald than his second one did - his belated second birthday present to himself was Vadir, and what more could a man hope to obtain as a gift? This time, there is nothing. It is simply a day, a day that passes in the blink of an eye, and suddenly he's not a two-year-old boy anymore - he is a three-year-old man. It feels odd, and he takes some time to reflect over what the previous year brought with it. He has begun to master the art of battle, and he is a king in the bedroom, as well. He has sired far more children than he'd hoped, yet he would not trade any of them (even the ones who hate him) for anything else.

They are his. The world is his. Everything is his.

The leviathan has tracked this mare closely throughout her pregnancy. It is safe to say that he does not entirely trust her - he got a certain vibe from her, one that implied she was not fully there. He thinks he will need to take this child beneath his wing moreso than the others, and that is exactly what he will do. As ever, his dragons obey his whim to track the winged woman, and he follows in their wake.

But he is late. It is quite unlike him, and he will soon come to regret it - for his eyes are about to fall upon a scene of devastation.

The child, his child, is a mangled mess. The beast's stride increases to a flowing, ground-eating trot, his eyes wide with horror and his heart thumping a stacatto beat in his chest as he spies a sea of blood and pain. It's a filly, he notes as he gets closer; a valuable daughter, future mother of strong grandchilden, future bargaining chip for alliances and favours. But she's....ruined. Her wings are a mutilated mess of sinew and bone, and her eyes....her eyes are gone.

The goliath's stomach clenches, and his throat fills with bile.

The mother is crooning across her broken child, trying to nudge her to her feet. Through the brute's fury-addled mind, he is grateful for this, at least; perhaps she will be a better mother than he'd dared hope. "Nazli, what happened? Who did this? I'll fucking destroy them." His eyes blaze and he crashes one giant hoof hard into the floor, flesh bubbling with barely-contained fury. His voice is a low, deadly growl, thrumming with emotion - he is a man on the edge.

Someone hurt his child. Some scumbag, some coward, some maggot from the depths of the earth, hurt his child.

And he wasn't here to save her. He's let her down, he's failed her. He has never failed before. It is a new emotion for him, and it floods him.

image credits

@Amara

Emotion 2/5 for his quest: failure

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Amara Posts: 136
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 hh :: 6 years HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sameira :: Royal Hellhound :: Hellfire dark
Amara
This wasn't supposed to happen— things weren't supposed to go like this. I- I didn't mean to.. I don't know what happened. I just- I did it. I'm sorry, I'm sorry please forgive me what have I done. What have I done to you?

The child, I should have killed it before it came out, before it totaled my womb and tainted me so. I should have starved it out, killed us both. I should have let it rot in there, let it waste away and never let my thoughts linger on it again. I should have done it, should have done it before I brought unnecessary destruction and force, overwhelmed by a need to get it away. All I saw was gold, tattered remnants of too much yet too little. There was gold, soaking in fresh blood, it was everywhere— I could taste it in the back of my throat, feel it caked to my lips. The unpleasant feeling of thick, wet red against curled lips made my stomach quiver, discontent with the taste. And the smell.

Fluids were grotesque, slick and oily the child's skin had been disgusting as it spilled out from between my legs, oblivious to the hatred already growing in my heart. I only needed a push and a shove, a reason for such merciless violence— and it was given to me. With the opening of preciously tinted eyes, metallic and haunting (I- I can't. It reminds me too much of him) as they swallowed up the world. In the moments after, when my body convulsed and tongue tasted bitterly like iron and mucus, I felt the deep regret guilt. I wanted to clean away the evidence, wanted to dump the child into the water and pray that she was never found, never pitied and looked down upon— I wanted her to die. But she was here at my feet, wet with her own blood and my tears, gasping frantically at the overwhelming panic of the situation.

Shock—

She's probably going into shock. My throat is closed, my head light and breathing laboured as I address her wounds with a far less than professional hand, weary and cautious. I was so aware of the damage done, the etchings of my teeth carved into her face, where they began to grow deeper as I'd neared the eye, sought to take. I'm sorry, I'm sorry I'msorryI'msosorry. The urgency of the situation still hadn't set in, the idea of losing her when I'd already signed away my life to have her— I worked as quickly as I could, messily trying to dress the wounds with what little experience I had (dammit, dammit! What am I doing?). The tears were just another obstacle to overcome, swallowing gasps of air between shaky movements as the child remained still and quiet. She lost the will to fight.

My body moves faster than I can register, knowing well enough it is neither Sameira or Them. They left once the damage was dealt, fading away into the edges of my vision to relish in the fact that they'd succeeded. My eyes were dull and cautious coming upon the titan, settling on the blackness of a body so foreign yet familiar. My body cries out in anguish, knowing full well who this man was and what he had done. I sought to ruin him too. It was he who brought this upon me, who selfishly took me apart for his own benefit, who dare not contact me until now. I do not remember anything about our encounter at all, just that it is he who is responsible for the child.

I want to scream at him, to stomp my hooves and raise hell. I sought vengeance for my innocence, to reap him of something of equal value, to take and take and leave him there— I felt irrationally angry, seething with a clear rage I hadn't felt in a long time. "There is a someone, he smells like Zhu." He is here, Sameira. He is here. I can feel the contortion of her face, drawing back from the storm that brewed within me— smells like Zhu. She closes herself off again, becoming something distant and almost unnoticeable as I focus solely on the man before me.

That's what brought it, that unconscious recognition, the similarities between child and man— though faint and almost unrecognizable, the final piece was Sameira's lingering words, burned into the back of my mind. I don't know what I feel, don't know how to express it. "Take his eyes too," comes from somewhere to my left. My ear falls towards it, eyes still firmly set on the man in black as he growled out something about ruining whomever had done this. I did not flinch, even as his spit flew and his anger was so blatantly obvious— I would have submitted under normal circumstances, would have put my hands up and wept of my defeat. But I was livid, disgusted.

"You." It comes out almost like a hiss, a word caught up between clenched teeth and a tight throat. (I know what you've done, what you do) I want to break him, to bellow triumphantly as his bones contort beneath me and his body bends the way I want it to— no. I have to get it together, I have to stop. "Who ever said you needed to stop? Please, go on. Ruin him." Now I turn, watching them stand beside me, between the child and the father, licking their lips with an unnaturally long tongue. They could never be satisfied, always hungering for more, lusting after the prospect of new blood spilled at their hooves— they were relentless, eager to take what they could and give nothing back.

The name Nazli had sailed over my head, forgotten in my burning rage. It burns away, consumed by the flames of fury, discarded among the ashes of other tattered memories. I was too focused, too keen on knowing the truth. The words brew within me, barbaric and threatening as I linger over the child, teeth grinding together as she lies completely still, terrified of the consequences of movement. I cannot tell if I am mad at him completely, or if there is bitterness towards myself as well for being unable to be there when Sia needed me most— I had been drowning in self-loathing and crippling depression, had wallowed pitifully in the depths of my despair and let him take her.

I want so desperately to blow up in his face, to beat him senseless and wail at how unfair life was, at how shitty it was— how much I wish it wasn't this way. I stand with uncertainty and a tight gut, queasy as I wither, falling apart before him. It was he who had been there, who had helped her in a time of need— not me. I swallow harshly and face him with loose knees, forcing the words from my lips. "Thank you," I whisper, so quiet he may not even hear it. "You were there for her and I was just a mess, a pitiful god damn mess hating myself somewhere so far away— and there's no way for me to repay you, and now there's her." My eyes drift to the baby, voice fading away into something hushed, as if any louder and she may startle. Amber eyes solidify, a moment of bitterness returning because I have not forgot— no, I still remember very well what he's done. "But don't think I hate you any less for what you did to her. Stay away from her, because I swear to the gods if you touch her again— Zhu is the result of all you'll ever get from her." I wanted to spit in his face and snarl further, but backed off.

He probably thought I was crazy, speaking so vaguely of a common person (perhaps not a common person at all, maybe I've misunderstood), thanking him and threatening him for the treatment of said person. Of Sia. I did not deserve her, did not even have her— she was a star in an unfathomably large sky, and I just a fractured, weathered statue gaping at all the twinkling lights above me. I would never reach her.

"I- I don't know what got to her. I'm so stupid for leaving her... it was only a moment, I was only gone for a moment." I'm tripping over my words, trying to formulate something— anything. I didn't want to face the facts, didn't want to come to terms with the fact that I did know what got to her, that I could explain every excruciating detail. I wouldn't. "I'm so sorry." I don't know who I'm apologizing to, who this apology is meant for. I feel so defeated, so sluggish and distant that I'm not even sure I'm conscious right now, half expecting to wake up in a panic at the edge of the Throat. But this is no dream, and I won't wake up. Not anytime soon.
@Volterra
feel free to pm me if you have any confusion on the events within amara's posts

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

V O L T E R R A
OH, MY EYES ARE SEEING RED
DOUBLE VISION FROM THE BLOOD WE'VE SHED

He remembers his conversation with Airlia, where she said that in her homeland, weak foals were destroyed. Volterra objected strongly to this sentiment - as he believes the murder of a child is the worst kind of crime, the most heinous and disgusting example of cowardice - but now, as he looks down at his daughter, he can't help a wicked train of thought from creeping into his skull and asking would it really be that bad? Would it not be kinder to put down this poor, ruined girl? The notion revolts him, turns his stomach, but he wonders if it would not be more merciful than letting her live. She will never see the world around her; she will never observe her mother's face, or see the sun rise to herald a new day, or even witness the stark beauty of the frozen north and the wicked heat of the desert south. She will never soar across the land on her wings, observing everything from the heavens like the goddess she is. She is doomed to exist in a world of darkness, a world of untold horror.

It would be merciful to kill her now, rather than sentence her to a lifetime of suffering.

But he can't. She's not just any child, she is his child. What sort of useless father would he be if he simply killed her because of his own failure? Would that not make him worse than all the child-murdering fuckers he so easily condemns, because he had it in his power to stop it happening? No force on earth could have mutilated his daughter in front of him - he'd have slayed them where they stood. His negligence, his tardiness, caused this to happen to her.

If any deserve to die for their sins, it's him. His throat aches, his belly heaves, and his heart feels like a blackened pit of misery. This emotion is new to him - usually, if he does something wrong (such as slipping in battle) then he disguises it with anger. And, indeed, there's anger here, a palpable rage and desire to tear apart his daughter's assailant, a great drive for vengeance and vindication. But the deep-rooted howl of failure is in his bones, far stronger and purer than the fury that quivers in his hardened muscles. This is more raw than anger, and also far, far worse. Anger, he can channel. Anger, he can use to destroy his opponents. But this? Failure? It is simply weakness.

And it's all his fault. He failed. His daughter is relegated to this because of his failure.

He wants to scream, to bellow at the heavens. He hates this emotion - it hurts. He, who is so good at channeling unwanted emotions into ones he can control, is powerless to stop this. Ironically, he thinks the Earth God will be impressed with him for this - it might even help him in his quest, but he would happily trade it in for a more familiar feeling if he could. If he could force this completely into anger, then he would be fine.

But he can't.

You. He drags his attention back to the mare, the dam. He should blame her, too, for she had been as negligent as he. But what could she have done even if she'd been there? Weak from childbed, he doubts she could have fought off the attacker. That was his job. In return for the pleasure she'd brought him, he owed it to her to protect her child. He didn't. He fucking didn't.

She's speaking again, garbled, senseless babble. The leviathan looks at her, panting with the force of the emotions that scream inside him. "What?" Shit, he'd been right - she isn't all there. He has no idea what she's saying, except for when she mentions Zhu - his eyes darken and narrow, and his anger momentarily ebbs away to be replaced by confusion. "Zhu? What does he have to do with...what are you talking about, woman? Your child has just been mutilated and all you can do is babble shit at me?" His own temper breaks through like a tidal wave; it bubbles over, adding an edge to his words and a burning fire to his eyes.

Then she changes, and he forces himself to soften. "It is not your fault," he forces out, although there's a part of him that wonders what sort of mother just wanders away after giving birth. What could be so important that it couldn't have waited until her child was at least strong enough to follow? She was stupid, yes, but that does not excuse Volterra's negligence. "It is mine - I should have been here. I'm always at the births now, I'm always there, and I wasn't, and now she's...." He stamps a hoof, pinning his ears and bearing his teeth. Ach, he loathes emotions like these. "I will find who did this, and I will have justice for her." He looks down to the girl, the ruined girl, and breathes hard. "What is her name?"

image credits

@Amara

Emotion 2/5 for his quest: failure

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]