the Rift

[PRIVATE] Let's Have an Adventure [Patrol]

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow

And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

He wasn't a warrior, no, but Apollo had no qualms about patrolling wherever assistance was needed, to check in on things and make sure that mischief wasn't brewing beneath their hooves. It allowed for him to get out and stretch his legs, roam the lands, survey the changes that always seemed to be happening in Helovia and try to stay in the know-how... And that was where he found himself now, the 'Blood Falls', a northern landscape that the Merciful hadn't had the misfortune of traipsing before.

Rarely did he venture to these new aspects of Helovia, these foreign locations that didn't ring any bells inside of his memories. In his increasing years, Apollo had become a creature of habit, not venturing anywhere that he hadn't been before. It was easier that way, both mentally and physically. His favorite place of travel was the Deep Forest due to the many memories it held, but alas, his assigned destination hadn't been a choice of his own.

The closer that he drew to the foreign land, the slower his pace became. It was... Ominous, for the lack of a better term. Ridiculously tall tress clustered around him, towering above him, making him feel small and petty, crimson-colored leaves doing wonders at nearly completely blotting out the afternoon sun. It reminded him of the Deep Forest, save far creepier, and Apollo knew that if he hadn't called the Deep Forest home for many suns and moons during his early-years in Helovia, he would be spooking and balking at every sound.

At least he wouldn't be patrolling this unknown location alone...

Ktulu would be joining him, or, at least, that was the plan. The lady Constrictor had been assigned as his patrolling partner, and Apollo was equal parts excited and nervous to see her. Granted, they lived in the same herd, shared the same grass, drank from the same streams... But it had felt like an eternity since they had spoken. They talked, but rarely, and their brief encounters and discussions were far from the intellectual debates and heartfelt words they used to share in the past.

It made his heart ache.

Upon his withers, Zola was perched cautiously, tiny nostrils twitching as she breathed in the odd scents of this unknown area. She could sense her bond-mate's unease, and so struck up a gentle purr in an attempt to calm his growing anxiety. 'It's okay, Apollo,' she murmured within their minds, tail stroking soothingly across his spine in small, loving ministrations, 'We won't be here for too long, and then we can go home.'

"You're right," the monochromatic stallion responded, his tone lightening considerably despite the anxiety that still clutched his heart, "We just need to wait for Ktulu."

And so, the unicorn and feline refrained from venturing deeper into the ominous, crimson-leafed trees, and instead decided to wait for Ktulu to join them before beginning their patrol.

When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

@Ktulu <3

I Just Want You To Know Who I Am

Please Tag Apollo in All Posts!

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali
Ktulu the Constrictor

Once upon a time she had loved him. Ktulu had wanted nothing more than Apollo to be part of her and Lakota's family, for them all to be happy. Then he disappeared and she and Kota forged their relationship together and created a family. When he found his way back to them again in the World's Edge those feelings had reawakened only to be pushed aside when he had disappeared again. Every time he'd disappeared it hurt and the last time Ktulu had promised herself that she wouldn't allow herself to be hurt again. She wouldn't nurture the feelings she'd had for him because there was no place in her heart for someone who would disappear so easily.

But she still loved Apollo, maybe not in the same way as she did before, but she still loved him.

Ktulu frowned as she walked in the direction of the Blood Falls, her crimson gaze sweeping the area around her as she searched for Apollo. She had assigned him to patrol the area with herself, but now she was wondering if it was a good idea. She was wondering if she was prepared to walk with him and talk. She was scared to witness just how much things had changed between them, but at the same time she was ready to move on and get over being angry with him for leaving.

It did not take Ktulu long, nor was it hard for her to spot Apollo once she and Eytan reached the blood falls. His black and white coat was a stark contrast against the crimson color of the forest. "Apollo." She greeted the stallion as she approached, but said nothing else. She'd said 'good to see you again' too many times after he'd walked back into her life and she was tired of saying it. Maybe, this time, if she didn't say it he wouldn't disappear again. 

"Lets get started." She said instead as she made her way farther into the bloody land. Eytan glanced at Apollo as he ambled past then took his place at his bonded's side. He had the feeling that it was going to be a long, awkward patrol.

"."

Credits

Icon by Tay

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow

And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

'Apollo.'

Her word took him by surprise, and the stallion was uncertain how he missed her arrival. Was he truly so lost in his own thoughts that she was able to approach him completely unaware? The Constrictor's greeting is short and to the point, just that simple utterance of his name, and if he had been younger or any more meek than he already was, he would have shied back under the powerful syllables of his name. No other greeting or words of acknowledgement left her lips, and the Merciful's honey-brown eyes lingered upon the dark lady for a few moments longer, taking in her stern face and stoicism before looking away.

Upon his back, Zola's concern only grew, but she hunkered down into a slouched position along his withers, watching the scene unfold with empty sockets.

"Ktulu," Apollo greeted in kind, his voice far softer than it should have been, dipping his head in greeting to Eytan. He wanted to say more, how it was 'good to see her', how 'he missed her', but he didn't. It was no longer his place. She was angry with him. Disappointed, probably, and despite their extensive history and formerly close relationship, he felt that he could no longer hold her shining crimson gaze. That he wasn't worthy. It almost felt like before, in the Grey, when he was a meek, sheltered, and inexperienced newcomer to Helovia and Ktulu was nothing more than his devoted superior, intimidating and powerful.

But was he truly much more now? What place did he have to try for her attention? For her friendship?

None.

Bitterness coated his tongue and stung his throat, his heart heavy with sadness and self-depreciating thoughts, but he nodded his head solemnly at her shortly spoken words and fell into step behind her. This situation only served as a cruel reminder that those he loved, those he grew close to, inevitably grew distant, left him, or died. It was the trend, but perhaps this was for the best? What foolish thought did he have to think that he'd stood a chance with the powerful, spitfire Constrictor?

That chance was long gone, Apollo knew, but did that mean that their friendship was lost with it? Ktulu had been a constant, steady rock in his life here in Helovia, ready and willing to help in any way, but now...

The silence was deafening, the only sound being that of their own hooves and the occasional whispers of the forest around him. All of his previous fears about the place were forgotten, swallowed by the unending anxiety and sadness that plagued him. He opened his mouth to speak, thought better of it, and simply grew quiet. What could he say? What could he do? Terror gripped at his heart in a way that it never had before, and for the first time, Apollo found himself terrified that his time within the Falls was growing less and less. Was he still welcome? Considered family?

He wanted to ask about Ktulu's son, Murtagh, the young colt he had met seasons back. And Lakota's. He wanted to ask how such a thing had happened, but it wasn't his place. His business. He wanted to ask how she had been, what she had been doing, but... Nothing about her personal life was his business, not anymore. Not even as one friend to another.

The proverbial rocks that they stood on were unsteady, too slick for their hooves, and one wrong move might topple them into the wrong direction.

"... I've never been to this part of Helovia," Apollo murmured softly instead, his tone careful, as though trying to avoid confrontation with the dark mistress ahead of him, "It seems quiet."

When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

I Just Want You To Know Who I Am

Please Tag Apollo in All Posts!

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali
Ktulu the Constrictor

Ktulu  had not thought it though when she'd assigned Apollo to patrol the Blood Falls with her. She should have assigned him to patrol with Romani and taken her daughter on this patrol with her since she didn't trust Cowboy to fulfill his duties. She could have even taken the patrol alone, but no. She'd gone against her better judgement and put Apollo with her and now as she walked ahead of him her mind was filled with memories that made her stomach tie in angry knots. She remembered when she promoted him to lead beside her after Ophelia had left, she remembered confiding her self doubts in him, of the time they'd played like foals in the Heavenly Fields, when they admitted that they had loved each other ...

A sharp snort errupted from her and a quick shake of her head chased the bittersweet memories away. She didn't want to think about those times because if she did she'd end up forgiving him and she wanted to be angry, at least for a little while. She wanted him to understand just how much it hurt her that he'd disappeared again and again and again. It reminded her of Midas, how he would tell her that he loved her and then leave her. The only difference between Midas and Apollo was that she'd not given him any children to abandon.

The silence was thick and heavy, though that was probably only Ktulu's impression of it because she was stewing in her anger. There was much to be said between the two of them, questions to be asked, demands to be made, but the mare bit her tongue to keep quiet. It she spoke she would end up yelling and she'd alert everyone in the forest to their whereabouts. And if she yelled at Apollo it was likely that he'd leave again and even though she was so angry and hurt by him she still didn't want him to take off and leave.

"... I've never been to this part of Helovia."

Why did he have to speak? And why did she feel the sudden urge to respond to him?

"Its new." Ktulu said, her voice surprisingly calm, though restrained. "There was a battle here, a god from the Rift that came through and attacked. Some others came through and helped the Rift god and they still may be here, so watch your six." As she spoke she kept walking.

"."

Credits

Icon by Tay