the Rift

[OPEN] try for better luck

Elspeth Posts: 40
Absent Abyss
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 7 years
Sarah
Elspeth
I pride myself in being reasonable, someone who isn’t about to dodge an issue when it is presented. In the Threshold, by way of goodbye, Thranduil had brought up “the Reaper” accompanied by this look as if he had just won a contest between the two of us. Honestly, my eyes rolled back so much in exasperation they practically did a backflip into my skull and came out the otherside.  I don’t even know where to start, really, but the implication that I was on anything resembling regular speaking terms with that odd creature that was lead in the Basin was laughable.

I think we all can attest to how well I handle the strange.

“Helovian culture,” I quickly explain to Leif - I’m not bothered by what our departed golden friend said but I’m not interested in dodging things, remember. “Occasionally involves giving pet names to those they consider noteworthy.” I beckon him to follow me, my voice clearly stating how ridiculous I found the entire practice. “The lord in the Basin is known as the Reaper though, honestly, that sounds like something a male would call himself as he tried to be intimidating.” As I pick my way through the forest, I pause - abashed as my words echo in my mind. “Sorry, no offense.”

Good job, Elspeth. As if cursing at him in the Threshold wasn’t enough.

As we made our way north, I occasionally tried to point out features and fumbled for the names of the places we passed. I soon abandoned this practice, however, when I realized I had no idea if what I was telling him was right or wrong. I was trying to remember what Calder and Zandora were teaching me the last time I made this trek and what little pieces I had picked up since then. Were we walking through the Thistle Meadow or the Whispering Field? There were thistles and the grasses did make a curious whispering noise with the wind moving through them, so it could be either one.

It seemed I would not be leaving Helovia today. I oddly felt a little better now that there was someone else who was arguably more out of place than I had been feeling. Hopefully everything I said about the Basin was going to prove true. It was safe. Probably a little bit safer than most places! For now, I kept my personal doubts under wraps.

The warm weather made the journey enjoyable and before too long we’re at the border of the Basin. “Well, here we are! We have to wait for one of the leaders of the herd to accept you, but I don’t think there will be any trouble.” I didn’t want to just, yell out without warning him so once I alerted him to this idea I whinny for someone, anyone (though hopefully someone I knew, the golden mare who welcomed me would be perfect).

As we wait, I should probably try to be helpful. “So, uh, do you have any questions? It might seem pretty daunting, but I'm still learning too so you're not alone.” I give him a small smile, trying to be encouraging. 
give me the sun that shone
Image Credit
table by Sevin

for @Leif and @Rexanna and any :D
[Image: 5706a739b3d7b]
please tag Elspeth in all replies

Leif Posts: 15
Outcast
Stallion :: Other :: 15 Hands :: 4 Years
Sparrow
L
E
I
F
Despite their somewhat unorthodox meeting, Elspeth proved to be amiable company. She was neither demanding, domineering, nor meek, and that was just the type of camaraderie Leif felt that he currently needed in his life. Leaving the Threshold of Helovia was a strange affair, especially when it came to leaving behind Thranduil and Banjo and the gold stag's cryptic message, and from there they headed north.

The Reaper? Was he some legend? Some feared creature who lived in the northern mountain range? Should he be worried? Elspeth had promised that the Aurora Basin was a safe place, that he would be welcome... Surely she had not lied? The freckled doe did not seem the type to lie so brazenly, and so the ivory elk hoped that he hadn't made a mistake by following her to her homeland.

The white stag remained at Elspeth's side during their venture northwards, blue-green eyes roaming across every landscape they happened across and doing his best to commit it all to memory. There was so much... New sights, scents, everything. Nothing that he was used to during his solitary travels. It just went to prove that this Helovia was just as different and strange a land as he had ever happened across.

The female's vocals lit up across the silence that stretched around them, and Leif turned his head, always mindful of the proud rack of tines upon his brow as he did so. Elspeth explained Helovian culture, and how they involved 'pet' names for certain individuals, and the simple notion of it wasn't very simple at all. This land was certainly something else...

At Elspeth's sheepish realization, the white stag's lips twist upwards in a small smile, a breathy, masculine chuckle leaving his maw. "None taken, Doe Elspeth." It was as much of a reassurance as he could grant her, and as they continued their trek towards the Aurora Basin, there was little that Leif could do save follow.

Eventually they arrived, and the white stag honestly had no idea what to think of the place as he drew to a halt beside Elspeth's freckled side. From their position there was little to see, save the sharp angles of land, the impressive range of mountains in the distance, and the decaying piles of metal that looked as though they had once been something great. What were they? An oval ear flicked forward, curious, nostrils twitching and tail flicking against his thick rump. He held his tongue, however, knowing that the answers would eventually come...

Or so he hoped.

Elspeth lets out a shrill bellow that echoes across the land, summoning one of the Basin's leaders to accept him. How strange. Would there ever be a time where the customs of this land of horses not surprise him? Were the foundations of an equine herd any different from an elk herd? Then again, it had been many moons since the wanderous elk had lived among a herd, so his knowledge on how they functioned were just as skewed.

Turning his majestic head, Leif's expression softened as his gaze met Elspeth's own, and he shook his head once more. Her blatant honesty was incredibly touching, and it soothed his nerves. At least he wasn't alone. "I... I'm not certain. I mean, I have many questions, but I believe I should hold my tongue. I feel as though many of the answers I seek will come with my time spent in this land."

But at least none deemed him a threat. None seemed wary of his difference. Surprised, yes. Ravenous for his treasures, no.

"Although I am quite a bit nervous. It has been many years since I lived among a herd, and I fear I might make quite the fool of myself figuring out how it all works. Is it very hard? Living among horses?" He paused, shuffled the dirt beneath his cloven hooves, and went on. "Are there customs I should know? Do I knock antlers with your males?"

Image Credit
"What if I fall?"
"Oh, but my darling; what if you fly?"

*Please tag Leif in all replies!*

Rexanna Posts: 499
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 7 years HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Marembo :: Marbled Polecat :: None Skylark
are you who i dreamed?
or just a memory?
Today marked another attempt at leaving the twins and taking a quick trip out of the Basin. Rexanna would’ve taken them with her, but as of late they’ve managed to continually escape her and wreck havoc on a variety of different things (animals and equines all the same). So today, her attempt was at leaving by herself, aside from Marembo who sat comfortably on her withers in his usual perch. A place high enough he could somewhat see what was going on without getting nearly stepped on. He was content and Rexanna was rather excited at getting this far without her mirrored twins chasing after her. But when she heard a sound as she reached the Sentinels. The lump of metal that still carried a menacing look to it - despite being rusted and worn by winter’s never yielding grasp. Dodging right in behind it, she decided to take a few moments to listen, peering through the slight shifts in the legs of the giant unicorns.

She spotted Elspeth, the kind mare that she had accepted into the Basin a while ago now. Yet, as her oceanic gaze drifted to who she was talking to, she spotted something that began to confuse her. Had Elspeth lost her mind? Talking with an Elk? Why was it following her so willingly? So many questions began to swarm in her mind until a few seconds later when the Elk began to SPEAK. Ears perked curiously, Marembo perhaps growing a bit impatient at the fact that this random Elk could speak and he couldn’t. Her eyes lingered on the elk in a bit of disbelief before she retained her composure, listening to the words he spoke before being able to feel as though she could pop out from behind the Sentinels and not lose her mind further in front of a stranger.

As the elk began to ask Elspeth about the customs of living with a herd, asking if he should knock antlers with the males, was when Rexanna and Marembo slipped out from behind the Sentinels, making their way out of the blue hued shadow over the snow in a veil of creams and gold, adorned with golden jewelry. A smile was placed on her lips, doing her best to keep her composure of not being mind blown that an elk was talking. Dipping her head to Elspeth first, then to the white elk, she offered him a gentle smile. “I don’t mean to have eavesdropped, but I also don’t think that the males would appreciate that.” She began, eyes lingering on so many tines. “A lot of the males here have horns similarly to mine. Nothing as beautiful as the racks that sit upon your head.” She added in, comforting to her at least and hoping that perhaps it were to the male as well. “I’m Rexanna, welcome to the Aurora Basin.” She smiled brightly to him before turning her gaze to Elspeth and giving her a split second look of “this is the coolest/weirdest thing i’ve ever seen in my life” before parting her lips to speak to her. “Have you offered him a home?” She questioned, tilting her head as Marembo’s gaze lingered on the elk in wonder and amazement, something drawing the tiny polecat to him from his interaction with Rikyn’s Duir. A memory of fun and excitement, playing with the tiny cerndyr. But this was no cerndyr, this was a full grown elk that could talk.

Gently turning her head to the elk once more with a smile, she began. “You’re more than welcome to join us. In our herds, each person has a job that helps the overall functionality of a herd. Is there anything you would like to pursue or had done in the past?” In all fairness, Deimos had said any species were allowed. The Thief began to wonder how the Reaper would react to seeing an elk at the next herd meeting.

"Talk."
rexanna
image credits

I had to leave for work so its a bit all over the place, I apologize!
@Elspeth @Leif
[Image: lovelyskylark.gif?8]
Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Rexanna, without killing her.
Please tag in every post!

Absent Abyss
Sarah
Elspeth
A smile brightened my golden brown eyes as Leif mentioned how he should hold his tongue for his questions, and I was quick to shake my head and try to persuade him that method wasn’t likely to be the best. “That is true, you’ll pick up on things as you go… I’m still learning about Helovia myself, though, and I can assure you that I’d happily answer any questions you might have. It’s not easy, being a stranger. I’ve asked two others now whether they were gods since I arrived here, because their appearances were so strange to me, so anything you ask won't be so odd to me.” I punctuate this little story about myself with a light laugh, hoping he’d take heart in it. I may look more like I belonged here in Helovia but it was still different. It still wasn’t home. I was an outsider looking in and I had not yet decided whether I wanted to stay like that or not.  

At his question about whether it was easy to live with horses - I frown a little. Not in reaction to the words, of course, but in concentration - it was not something I had ever been asked before and I wanted to give him as honest of an answer as I could. “I don’t think it’s too hard to live among horses… but I’ve never had to describe it before.” And then my smile gave way to a warm smile again. It was easier to try to be encouraging now that I had gotten over my shock, now that I was enjoying his easy company and polite questions. They gave me something to focus on and I couldn't believe how amazing it was to have even the illusion of being helpful. “Everyone keeps to themselves mostly, unless they want company. Occasionally there are meetings or gatherings where everyone in the herd gets together.”

Before I was able to answer his question about the antlers - which drew a wider smile from me - we were joined by Rexanna. I kept my gaze on Leif for a moment, gauging his reaction to get another horse and nodding infinitesimally to reassure him before my attention shifted. Rexanna was a beautiful sight, with her coat and chains, and the kindness she had showed me when I was new to the Basin (and still!) had eased my wariness about her appearance.

I was incredibly thankful that either the golden mare did not have the same reaction I did, or she was much better at hiding her emotions when confronted with the unusual.

Rexanna answered the question about the males, and I nod again - more noticeably this time - in confirmation before adding. “Normally we greet each other with simple words or by exchanging breaths, or bumping muzzles with those you know well.” In demonstration, I take a slight step forward and reach out my muzzle to Rexanna to demonstrate.

And then, at the question directed at me, I smile brightly. “Yes, this is Leif - I crossed paths with him in the Threshold and offered the safety of the Basin, like I had been.” I had never actually brought someone back to the Basin before which made me doubly thankful for Rexanna’s presence - she seemed to move so smoothly into the role of accepting someone. Hopefully that would be an ease on Leif as well.

More questions are asked - and I don’t add any more, out of fear of making things overwhelming. But I'm ready to answer any of his questions that I might be able to.
Image Credit
table by Sevin

jeez I was so excited to reply to this and didn't even realize Rexanna had posted WHOOPS
@Leif <3

Outcast
Sparrow
L
E
I
F
If there was one thing that Leif would always remember about Elspeth, no matter what the future may hold for either one of them, was that she was honest. Utterly, completely, and heartfully honest with him. She admitted her shortcomings first and foremost, her dainty lips speaking nothing but truths, not bellowing self-glorifying statements and egotistical fueled observations like surely others would be prone to do. Just as he was, Elspeth was new to this land, and also just like Leif, she seemed just as lost and floundering to find steady purchase in a land so mystical, so strange.

And there were Gods? Goodness. The white stag didn't even want to delve into that mystery. Maybe another time.

What a day...

Patiently, and with a considerable amount of understanding, Elspeth went on to answer his further inquiries, and Leif's large, oval ears stood at attention, leaning towards her to capture every word. To not miss the smallest of details. Before any form of reply could leave his pale lips, however, they were joined by another, and the Elk's blue-green eyes jerked to focus on the newcomer, posture stiffening and eight-tined rack raising just a little bit higher.

Who was this? Intimately woven in colors of ivory and gold, she was, decorated in fine, delicate chains of golden adornments. A gilded horn rose from her brow, and a stressed, uncertain breath escaped the stag's twitching nostrils as he sized her up. She was beautiful, this not-horse, in a uniquely feminine way, just as Elspeth was. Was unique beauty a must in this land? A requirement?

Surrounded by so many outrageous creatures, Leif was beginning to feel as if he was the mundane one. What an odd sensation.

She spoke, this golden not-horse, and her voice was a tinkling, odd sort of soothing tone, but Leif was not at ease. Not yet. Nothing about her posture screamed that she was a threat, and the stag's blue-green orbs darted to Elspeth, who seemed only at ease. Seeing the freckled female's calmness served to soothe his anxieties, and Leif did his best to focus on the adorned woman's statements.

'A lot of the males here have horns similarly to mine. Nothing as beautiful as the racks that sit upon your head.' A compliment? Leif had no idea how to take it, so he simply lowered his head, watching her and the creature upon her back before daring to speak. "... Thank you." Short, simple, and to the point. She introduced herself as Rexanna, and like every other name he had learned that day, the Elk filed away for later use.

Leif, remembering his manners, dipped his antlered head in a short nod of acknowledgement. "A pleasure, Doe-Rexanna... And thank you, again." Rexanna then turned her attention to Elspeth, asking the mare if she had offered him a home, and Elspeth returned in kind. It was only seconds later that Rexanna's attention was thrust back on his shoulders, and Leif swallowed thickly before answering.

What a queer question. A job?

"I... I am afraid I do not know, Doe-Rexanna," he began, picking his words carefully with the fear that his uncertainty might cause Rexanna to change her mind, to bar him entry from this herdland, from his chance at a home, "I have never had a job in my past, if that is what you mean. I have hidden, and fought on occasion..." But he wouldn't call that a job. Just survival. "This land is completely new to me. I do not know how it works, the ins and outs, nor do I know much about horses." His admittance was met with a sheepish shake of his impressive head. "This has been quite a mind-blowing experience."

Here, he glanced to Elspeth, seeking her honest reassurance, the warmth and understanding in her honeyed eyes. Her simple presence brought him strength, brought him reassurance, that all would be well, and subconsciously he shifted, cloven hooves scraping against the dirt and dry grasses. "What sort of positions does your herd possess? What is it that you do, Doe-Rexanna? And you, Doe-Elspeth?"

Image Credit

@Rexanna
@Elspeth
"What if I fall?"

are you who i dreamed?
or just a memory?
Pale ears flickered to Elspeth as she spoke to the elk of their customs on greeting. Nodding to her with a kind smile, she began to demonstrate and Rexanna stepped closer to her to meet her half way with her own muzzle. It was brief, but gentle and soft, exactly the gentle greeting that was customary for equines. She was sure that the elk here would be able to do that easily. Yet, as the Thief continued and her voice began to die out after all of her questions, Elspeth spoke up introducing the white elk as Leif. Nodding with a smile to the mare, she turned her attention back to the newcomer with bright oceanic eyes.

There was something about the way that Leif spoke that was so unique and gentle that the Thief found it hard to not pay attention to him. Marembo kept his gaze on the elk with bright beady blue eyes and a smile gleaming on his marbled fur. Both Rexanna and her companion’s ears perked to listen in to what Leif might have questions to ask, yet as he continued the mare only nodded. “That’s fine, Leif. You will learn much living among us.” She began, letting her gaze dance between the two of them. “There are many positions. I am the lead Thief here. I gather information as needed and return it to our Lord and Lady.” She explained briefly before turning her attention down into the Basin for a moment, slightly turning away from them.

Come with me, let’s tour the Basin and I can explain everything.” She smiled to him then, turning away a bit further and allowing them to step past the sentinels down into the valley that was the Basin. She began to walk, Marembo sitting gently on her withers waiting patiently for them to join him and his bonded. “We have thieves, like I am. We also have healers, crafters, scholars, and warriors. But don’t worry, Leif. If nothing strikes you right now, there’s time to explore and see what you might feel comfortable in.” She turned her head over her shoulder to glance back at the two to make sure they were following, waiting to see if Elspeth would speak up of any experiences of her own.

"Talk."
rexanna
image credits

@Leif @Elspeth

Absent Abyss
Sarah
Elspeth
I smiled warmly as Rexanna suggested touring the Basin as they talked - a much better idea than standing around at the entrance like I was intending to do! Once again I was thankful for her presence here, for her knowledge about the herd and welcoming new members. If it had been left to me, Leif and I might have lingered at the borders until we had both rotted away.

I fall into step with Rexanna, careful to make sure that Leif was coming along too. From our journey here I knew that we would have no trouble keeping pace with one another.

The golden mare by my side went on to explain the different ranks that were here in the Basin. In the silence that followed, it took me a moment to realize she had left it so that I might also answer his question. I quickly speak up to make up for the lapse, though I don’t have nearly as impressive of an answer as Rexanna. “I used to be a healer, before I came here. I gathered herbs and learned how to use them to aid members of the herd when they were injured or ill.” As always, remembering what I used to be - what I used to have - is a knife in my gut and heart. But, no, that’s not quite right because the pain is always there. The reminders of the loss simply refresh the wound.

This play of emotions, I know, will be clear to any that are watching my face - I’ve the worst poker face. And I can only hope neither will comment on it because I cannot begin to explain to them the meaning for it.

So instead I move on, offering a small smile to my companions. “I haven’t quite decided what path I will follow here in Helovia… there are more options than I am used to.” I had never heard of sneaks or crafters before coming here and had to admit I was impressed with how those odd ranks seemed to be so crucial to the herd functions. There was a crafter to weave blankets and other textiles to keep members warm during the cold months and thieves like Rexanna to gather information and, of course, steal when required.

“Did you live in a herd before you came here, Leif? Or were you on your own?” I find it curious that he had not had a job and though there are certainly more questions I would ask him, this seemed like at least somewhere to start.

Of course, as I thought about it afterward I realized that I shouldn’t be the one asking questions - Leif was the one that needed to learn more about us. It was too late to take it back now but I reminded myself to keep my curiosity in check for a little while longer.  
Image Credit
table by Sevin

@Leif

Outcast
Sparrow
Leif
Luckily, it seemed, that Rexanna was as patient as she was uniquely colored, for she did not seem to mind his incessant inquiries and uncertain gibberish. She went on to explain her own part in this herd, her own title and duty and what it entailed, and Leif listened with rapt attention, oval ears stationed forward to absorb every word, to learn as much as he could about this female not-horse. She was a Thief, the lead Thief, and gathered crucial bits of information for the leads of the Aurora Basin.

At the golden Thief's suggestion of touring the lands, Leif wasn't one to offer a protest. Rexanna and Elspeth were good company, or turning out that way, anyway, and he could think of no one else to show him around the fixtures of his new home, mostly because he had no one else to show him around. With a smile and a nod of his mighty antlers, the white stag fell into step with the two females.

The Elk's blue-green eyes roamed across the features of the valley as it dipped downwards from the entrance, opening up, absorbing it all and committing every rock, every brush, every noticeable feature to memory. When Rexanna's voice filtered up and across the sky, Leif looked back to the said woman, and like a sponge, absorbed her words.

Thieves, healers, crafters, scholars, and warriors. Literally everything for everyone, for every talent or ability. Well, almost... "So many choices," he murmured with a kindred, yet intrigued smile, clearly captivated, "How brilliant. Do you not have any singers?" And here, his expression turned somewhat wistful. "Elk are known for their abilities to sing long into the night." Not bragging, of course, but Leif enjoyed a good song as well as the next creature.

Regardless of the answer, the white bull was grateful for Rexanna's patience and that he wasn't required to pick a title right off of the get-go. He wanted time to learn more about this land, find his niche, so to speak, before finding a job. "When I decide upon one, I will let you know, Doe-Rexanna." From there, Leif's focus turned to that of the freckled female at his side, Elspeth, and listened with equal parts intrigue and captivation as she explained what she had done previously in her life.

A healer. The occupation, he thought, suited her more than perhaps she even knew, and as he watched her pretty face closely, the Elk couldn't miss the look of something that marred her expression. What it was, however, he couldn't place, nor would he try to. There was no reason to force his curiosity into her life. It seemed that his indecisive was common place, as Elspeth admitted that she also had yet to decide upon a job within the Basin herd.

Ah. Good. He had time, then.

Then, Elspeth voiced a question of her own, of his life before wandering into the Threshold of Helovia, and the stag's expression drifted into a face of blanched stalwart-ism, unable to hide the pain that shone in blue-green eyes. "I was on my own, yes, for quite awhile." It had been many years since he had lived in a herd, or called any other soul 'friend', but that wound still stung despite the many scabs that had since grown over it. "When I was but a young bull-calf, I lived in a herd with other Elk. Some had jobs, like your herd here, but they were somewhat different. In an Elk herd, we had our protectors, like your warriors, and our singers and storytellers, as well as shamans for healers." Or so he hoped. His memory of herd-life was fuzzy, even for his own kind.

He chuckled, a deep, guttural, throaty sound. "I always yearned to be a singer when I was a calf, like my mother. She taught me all of the songs that I now know. Perhaps if the situation ever arose, I could teach your herd about the songs of Elks."

From there he allowed his words to drift, focused once more on the land around them. "Are there places in this land that I should note? Certain places not to go?"

the white stag
Image Credit

@Rexanna
"What if I fall?"

are you who i dreamed?
or just a memory?
As they began to move, Elspeth moved alongside her. The freckled mare began to speak and the Thief’s ears tipped toward her as she spoke. Turning her head gently to the mare she smiled gently. “I didn’t know that. You seem very healer-ish to me.” She admitted sheepishly with a gentle laugh escaping her lips. And yet, she continued to speak of still not knowing what path to follow. Rexanna nodded, knowing that she probably wouldn’t have picked being a Thief if Thranduil hadn’t suggested it in front of the Reaper. Then, Leif’s gentle voice reached her ears. She turned her exotic striped face toward the elegant ivory elk with wide eyes. “Singers? I think our Time Mender – that’s our word for healers – sings. Her name is Lena if you meet her, be sure to ask about it!” She smiled gently to him.

Then the conversation continued on and he assured the Thief that when he thought of one that she’d be sure to know. Nodding gently to him she added, “I’d like that.” She smiled. Then, after Elspeth questioned him, the elk piped up with a little Elk history lesson. But then he chuckled, explaining he had yearned to be a singer and Rexanna nodded. “I never thought about what I wanted to be until I got here. Then I was told I might fit well in with the sneaks, and here I am! I would definitely be interested in learning about the songs of the elks.” She returned a gentle laugh to the Leif before looking out around the land before them. As they passed the bottlenecked entrance, she nodded to his question again. “Yes. The lake right there never freezes, it’s a wonderful place to get a cool refreshing drink in summer and the depths of winter. Beyond it, there’s a hot springs. It always stays warm, perfect for bathing or relaxing. My cave is located behind it. Oh, we live in caves as well. When we are done here feel free to explore some and find one for yourself.” ‘Considering everyone keeps leaving, there should be plenty of vacant homes’ She refused to add in, but she thought it.

Then, turning her head to motion toward the Haruspex cave she smiled again. “Over there, that large cave, is the Haruspex cave. The Haruspex is our lead scholar. If you need advice, that’s a great place to go to help clear your head. Beyond it lies the medic cave where you might be able to find Lena.” She turned her head as she continued to walk with the group, motioning toward the healers cave. Then, turning her head opposite from the lake, she smiled brightly. “Over there is the crafter’s cave. Johnny lives there, I’m sure he’d be amazed to meet you.” She gestured again before turning her head back to Leif. “Something in me thinks you’d like him too.” Her smile was wide as she beamed at the newcomer. Excited and baffled that she was standing here talking to an elk.

"Talk."
rexanna
image credits

@Elspeth @Leif

Absent Abyss
Sarah
Elspeth
“Thank you.” I smiled back at the golden mare, appreciating her words about how I seemed very “healer-ish”. Perhaps there was still a chance for me to pick up my lost trade. Although it was not to me, she brought up one of the time menders - mentioning Lena who I had met briefly in the hot springs with a group of the other mares in the herd. I make a mental note to go talk with her the next time I got a chance. Were any of the plants here in Helovia similar to the ones I learned when I was apprenticing? We were in the mountains, so it seemed likely - though the Basin was not nearly as green as the mountains of my old home.

When Leif mentioned singing I remember the deep, incredible call he had made back in the Threshold and wondered what it would be like to hear him sing. She hoped she would get the chance, one day. Another thing to remember for another time.

I listen with interest as the elk gave a little bit of insight into his history. It would seem that, on some level, herds of horses and elk functioned on the same basic level. “That’d be wonderful to hear your singing sometime, Leif.” I smiled brightly, glad that I got the chance to voice my interest in hearing it.  

More questions, Rexanna easily answering and pointing out the focal points of the herdland. I find myself looking as though I had never seen them before myself - but I have to remind myself that I didn’t received an official tour when I arrived. Rexanna had offered, of course, but I was dead on my hooves in fatigue and had promptly fallen asleep for longer than a day. “I don’t think there’s anywhere not to go,” My gaze flickered over to Rexanna to make sure that I got this part right. If there was somewhere that you were not supposed to go in the Basin, I didn’t know about it. “Like Rexanna mentioned there are some caves that most of the herd takes shelter in - especially during the winter.” Though I hadn’t been spending a lot of time in a cave myself, having found a comfortable spot beneath the stars. “So just be careful that if you pick one, it’s not already occupied.” I winked as I said it, a bright grin spreading back across my features. I couldn’t shake the thought that we were an odd trio but how comfortable I felt with them.
Image Credit
table by Sevin

@Leif

Outcast
Sparrow
Leif
It was odd, feeling so comfortable amidst Rexanna and Elspeth's company. They were going out of their way to ensure that he felt welcome, that he understood the layout of the land, that his questions were reasonable and not foolish or dumb in the slightest. For the first time in many years, perhaps the entirety of of his life, he was among others and having a genuine, comfortable conversation with them...

There was no running, no fighting, no hiding. Nothing of the way of life he had so grown accustomed to. Although strange, it was a welcome reprieve. Leif only hoped that it would last.

Lena is the name of the Aurora Basin's Time Mender, or their healer, and the bull does his best to filter that away with all of the other information that he has crammed within his skull, hoping that he could find her and learn about her own songs. Things would be forgotten, others would be remembered, but that was alright. If this was to be his home, then Leif knew he would recall it all sooner or later, regardless of if he remembered it now or not. Still, it didn't hurt to try.

Both of the female not-horses commented that they would enjoy hearing him sing sometime, and Leif felt blessed that they had not thought he was dumb, or naive. Perhaps, at a later time, they could all sing together.

They passed deeper into the valley, and the white stag followed Rexanna's gaze towards the lake in the distance, and like everything else, absorbs all of the information that he can. The lake never freezes. The hot springs are just behind it. Rexanna's own cave is located beyond that. They live in caves. He paused, a large oval ear quirked forward in confusion.

"Caves?"

They live in caves?

Pale lips pursed, brows furrowing over confused blue-green eyes. Like bears? Leif knew that bears lived in caves, and sometimes lions and cougars, but horses? Well, these were not-horses, and the mountainous region that they called home surely could suffer from cruel winters. Perhaps living in caves was the best way to ward off the frozen wrath of winter? Elspeth's additive only confirmed his wayward thoughts, and he offered the freckled woman timid smile, touched by her thoughtfulness.

"Huh." He chuckled, a deep rattling sound, but Leif nodded his tined head in the golden lady's direction. "I will do that. A cave for a home. How very bizarre." But his smile was of good, kindred nature, and not condescending. After all, he was the stranger here, and like all things, it would only take time for him to learn the ways of this land.

Rexanna went on, her melodious vocals keeping his attention as they continued their tour. The cave of the Haruspex was pointed out, as well as what a Haruspex was. A scholar. Interesting. The medic cave was beyond that, and Leif made a mental note to investigate it later and pay it a visit in hopes of finding this 'Lena'. Then, the crafter's cave, apparently home to a bull not-horse named Johnny. Rexanna's comment of how Johnny would be amazed to meet him took the stag by momentary surprise, but he covered it up with a shy smile.

"Perhaps I would," Leif stated humbly, head twisting about as he looked to each of the landmarks that Rexanna and Elspeth had pointed out, "It is so much to take in at once, I hope I don't forget any of it." Once more, he chuckled, shaking the massive twisting tines upon his brow. "The lake, the hot springs, the caves... The Haruspex, Time Mender, and the crafter, Johnny."

"I hope that I do not wander into the wrong cave. I do not believe anyone would enjoy an Elk traipsing into their home." But, should that happen, Leif knew to only apologize, blame his ignorance, and continue on his way. Twisting his gaze away from the land of the Aurora Basin, of his new home, the stag focused his earthly eyes onto the two forms of Rexanna and Elspeth. To them he dipped his head, always careful of his rack, and spoke as humbly and respectfully as he could manage. "Thank you for showing me about, as well as being so kindred and welcoming. I could not have imagined a more grand introduction into my new home. You two will be around, yes?" And here, the stag's expression turned somewhat pinched, as though Rexanna and Elspeth would disappear when they inevitably parted ways. "If I should wish to speak to you, I mean? You will both be able to be found here?"

the white stag
Image Credit

@Rexanna
@Elspeth
"What if I fall?"

are you who i dreamed?
or just a memory?
Elspeth’s gaze quickly found the Thief as she spoke. Nodding lightly, Rexanna offered her and Leif a gentle smile. “I haven’t been anywhere I wasn’t supposed to be.” She admitted, grinning. It was true, no matter where the mare explored in the Basin, nobody had told her she couldn’t do it. Or perhaps it was due to the fact she had never been caught. Either way, she never had been reprimanded for enjoying the scenery and unique objects of her home. Then, the freckled mare began to speak further and Rexanna found her exotic striped face to focus on her as she continued, wanting to know what Elspeth knew of the Basin in her short time. Then, the mare winked to the elk with the last few words she spoke causing Rexanna to let a small giggle escape. “Very true. Some might not take too kindly. But don’t worry, you can tell what’s lived in and what isn’t.” She chimed in.

There was something strange about this trio that had Rexanna feel so relaxed around them. Usually, she was busy trying to keep her authority and rank proven – especially against those like Albrecht. But this was different, she could be more of herself. And she began to remember the hot springs get together she had held and how relaxing that in and of itself had been. Perhaps she should meet up with friends more often – perhaps she wouldn’t be so inevitably depressed all the time. It might be a change of pace that the gilded Thief needed.

But her attention was drawn back to the ivory elk at her side as he asked about the caves, speaking of how bizarre they were. Nodding, Rexanna had to agree. She had never stayed in caves back home or her travels to get here. It was a strange thing, but in the depths of winter it was more than welcome with the heat reflecting off of the stone walls that made up the tiny rocky homes. Yet, the elk continued to speak and Rexanna focused on him, allowing her oceanic gaze to do their best to take in his facial expressions as he took in all the information he needed. She nodded again, then, smiling kindly to the new addition to her home. “They might be a bit surprised.” She admitted with a small laugh.

Then, he continued asking if the two mares would be around. Nodding, Rexanna glanced over to Elspeth before returning her gaze back to Leif. “I will be. I just had twins so I’m a bit forced to stay around.” She grinned, shooting another glance over to Elspeth to see her reaction to the news of the twins that were living as though they were made of hellfire. “We will be having a festival at the end of this season. Lena and I are going to be heading to each herd to invite them, so if I’m not around at that time I’m probably out there. But I won’t be gone for long when I do leave.” Turning her gaze over to Elspeth she smiled to her gently. “What about you Elspeth?” She questioned curiously, cocking her head lightly.

"Talk."
rexanna
image credits

@Elspeth @Leif

Absent Abyss
Sarah
Elspeth
We three continue to wind our way through the Basin, making sure to hit all the main spots so that Leif can learn and see as much as possible with two guides. Or, really - one guide and then me, because I’m not really offering up much that is helpful about the Basin.

“Not all horses do.” I added, noting his bewilderment over the idea of caves. “But here in the Basin it’s wise to limit your exposure to the elements in the winter at night… we’re rather far north and the colder seasons don’t let you forget it.” Anyone want to venture a guess as to my least favourite season? It was cold, it was bitter, it had been when my family had died. “But the hot springs that Rexanna mentioned are a wonderful way to escape the chill.”

However beautiful the season was when I arrived in the Basin, I doubted I would ever be fond of it.

Leif expressed his hope that he wouldn’t forget all that he had learned today and I chuckled softly in response. “If you ever forget anything and have more questions, don’t hesitate to ask. It’s a lot to take in.” I cast him another encouraging smile, hoping that the gesture was not lessened by my frequent use of it. There just seemed to be a lot of reasons to offer him encouragement! It was supposed to get easier, or so I was told - assimilating into somewhere new. I had my doubts but perhaps Leif would find it easier than I would - perhaps he was more willing.

So when he asked whether we’d be around if he wished to speak to us, my answer followed smoothly after Rexanna’s. “Yes, of course.” Where else would I go? But I keep the ridiculous pang of despair out of my expression and voice, for once being somewhat successful. “You’re welcome to find me whenever.” It would be good to have more amiable company around the Basin and I would be happy to talk to Leif further. He had learned a lot about Helovia in the last little while but I imagined there would soon be a time when he had more questions.  
Image Credit
table by Sevin

@Leif sorry it's a little scattered but just wanted to get something up <3