the Rift

[OPEN] prodigal

Tilney Posts: 288
World's Edge Moon Doctor atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2hh :: VI HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Peatree :: Lesser Fruit Bat :: None Neverrmind

While it had not been a long journey at all, tilney felt as though it had taken the whole Tallsun to walk home. This was a stallion not ever envious of much, though he could not help but think the gods were much too kind on his angelic companion as to grant her not only one pair of wings but two. What was her name? He'd never actually thought to ask; She was the one who did the asking, he just did the answering. Their few days of travel consisted of endless questions about the region, the names of the exotic plants he carried in his mane, the various wildlife they watched and encountered-- the list had no end. Tilney quite liked being the teacher rather then the asker, He loved to see the wonderment in her eyes when she learned a new word, or her first few failed attempts to pronounce it. 
On the first night of the adventure Tilney filled his shrunken stomach with berries and meadow grass before sleeping for a solid twelve or so hours, ready for his return the next day. The boy knew he looked like a matted mess, he hoped his friends would take good care of both himself and this peahen companion on his return.

When his hooves hit a small shard of glass, Tilney knew he was home. "We're here" He whispered tiredly to the feathered girl. Passing over the fallen glass wall, a breathless "watch your step" left his lips. They did not come this far just for them to injure themselves further. Leaning his whither on the closest tree he could assemble his feet towards, Tilney dropped his he'd in relief before releasing a hoarse, throat-wrenching nicker. He called for anyone and everyone around his home to help them. The bronze's countenance was tight and clenched, a tear escaping his eye. What a time it had been.

Art/print purchased from Illustrated Monthly || coding by neverrmind@ DA

aw ye look whos bak
Lettuce wait for Ultima to reply perhaps and then any edgers can go for it. Tagging anyone who might be interested!
@Glasgow @Tembovu @Elsa @Alysanne @Arah @Ultima

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Ultima Posts: 57
Outcast
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 4
Snapdragon :: Turkish Andora Cat :: None Kairi
Ultima’s were the happinesses of a child – tricky to puzzle out at first, but simple as earth, and genuine and loyal as evergreen. She loved perching on the edge of the goldfish pond at sundown and watching the lights turn on one by one up the woodland paths. She loved blackberries. And in the bare handful of days since they had met, she decided in her own guileless, thoughtless, lackadaisy way that she loved Tilney, too. 

Not that she knew his name; she had beggared just about every question under the sun (and the moon, too), but it’d never once occurred to her to ask just who this tired young man was. He’d said, “Let’s go—” and she trotted right after him; her entire life in the Wood had been full of auspices, and he was the first good portent she’d come across in a year. He was patient, good-natured, and always answered her thoughtfully – for Ultima, who had felt overwhelmingly terrified and small ever since she’d crashed into the Flats, he was a sorely welcome kindness. 

“—called chort fungus, though, couldn’t it be something a little more dignified? It sounds too much like ‘chortle’ and I just really think it’s rather uncou— Oh!”

Her voice had vastly improved with use, regaining some of its inherent cheekiness – flowers bloomed if you cared for them, after all. But the sight of the great glass wall rising before them stole her words for a moment, and she came to a stop just off of Tilney’s hip, eyes wide.

“That’s grand,” she murmured, delighted. “That’s phenomenal magic, it must’ve taken a great deal of— Oh!” She said again, followed very shortly by a soft, “Oh no.”

For people had begun to answer the boy’s weary bugle, and with the return of her sociability, so too had her sense of personal hygiene. That is, her awareness of the utter lack thereof. ‘I look like a hag.’ Tilney at least had the excuse of being battered by the ocean for weeks on end. Having no such justification and few options, Ultima tried to tuck herself inconspicuously behind him, peering over his back warily.

Horrible,’ she thought. ‘Absolutely wretched.’ 

And began to pray.
oh, sweet thing— zion doesn't love you

@Tilney & Co!!
hi take this dweeb
please tag ultima in all posts!
force/magic a-ok, shy of killing/maiming her!

Glasgow Posts: 127
Aurora Basin Apprentice atk: 3.5 | def: 10.0 | dam: 7.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3hh :: 11 years HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Skylark
I want a house on the hill by the ocean
It had been so long since she had seen any true friends, that the scarred mare was beginning to give up on the idea that they might return one day. Earlier, she had stood beside Tilney’s tree, glancing out across the water of the cliffs and sighing in her quiet sorrow that she hadn’t seen the tree marked man in so long. She feared the worst for him, as she always did with everyone she grew attached to. Getting attached to someone in Glasgow’s mind was the worst thing she could do – she was far too attached to her sister and look what happened there. The Gods had their ways with punishing her, perhaps not here in Helovia, but back home everywhere she went. They mocked her, mistreated those closest to her, scarred her and banished her from the smoking rubble that was once her home.

So when she heard the call, she knew the sound. She knew it didn’t sound good and worry began to spread through every little bit and piece of the pale scarred Glazier. Her bones were old and sore from countless hours of continually working on controlling her power as well as helping make gifts for the herds, but it didn’t stop her from rushing to the call. Joints ached in protest as she galloped across the Edge, jumping over bushes that planted themselves in her way all while her glassy scarred eyes scanned the area for the creature of the call. Hoping deep down that it wasn’t life threatening. She was a glazier not a healer. There wasn’t much she could do.

As she approached in her fury, she spotted the caramel stallion (her only true and honest friend) and her heart sank. Sliding herself to a stop, then trotting over to Tilney she could feel her heart pounding in her chest. He looked like a wreck. What on earth happened to him? She didn’t even take the time to notice the one that accompanied the bronze stag. She moved closer to him, invading his space and aiming to land her muzzle on his tearstained cheek. “Tilney, it’ll be alright. I’m glad you’re back.” Her voice was breathless while she tried to catch the air in her lungs to speak. She pulled away from him then, letting her milky eyes trail along his body, looking at his matted hair and what appeared to be a nearly mangled body to her. “We should get a healer – do, do, do you need a healer?” She stuttered, knowing that Tilney was a healer himself. He didn’t look to be in a good enough condition. Perhaps they needed more. Her head lifted up frantically for a mere moment to glance around the area to see if anyone else had heard the call when she spotted the Pegasus accompanying her best friend.

Oh, hello. Thank you so much for bringing him home.” She offered the mare a small smile, her attention being drawn back to Tilney. “What happened to him?” her voice was quiet as she lifted her gaze to look upon the mare in front of her. She had a wide array of golden jewelry, a pale but beautiful exotic face, and not one pair of wings – but TWO. The mare looked kind, if not a little bit out of her comfort zone. And if Glasgow hadn’t been so worried about Tilney and his appearance at the moment, she would’ve probably stayed away in fear of frightening the poor woman.

"Talk."
I’d let the tide wash away—
all my critical mistakes.
Glasgow
image | coding

@Tilney @Ultima

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Black-rimmed ears swivel as the faint sound of a familiar nicker funneled into them. Mbwene, her broad ears already out and fanning herself in the Tallsun heat, was already at a full-tilt charge by the time Tembovu had started towards the borders and source of the call. She knew the man who made that call, her sensitive elephant ears easily deciphering the cadenced notes of those she liked.

It was the man of flowers, antlers, and an intriguing lantern adorning them. He had been kind to the calf in her infancy, and it had left an imprinted memory on her young mind. So she arrived well before the Elephant King, trunk raised in greeting—only to halt at the matted mess that was the golden boy she had favored. With a short squeak and barely a glance of greeting to the kind, scarred Glasgow and a flap of her ears towards the brightly colored and double winged (double? bright blue eyes glanced twice at her appendages), she trundled directly up to the antlered Moon Doctor. Trunk extended towards his matted hair, she made her sentiments known: she would begin to detangle the matts, twigs, and whatever else from his locks.

The Elephant King, himself, however arrived with much more appropriate greetings to his Glazier and the newcomer. Great skull dipped in greeting to all, though his navy eyes watched Glasgow nearing Tilney. And Tilney—it was clear that the stallion was worse for wear, with exhaustion lining his body and old battering adorning his gilded coat. He watched how he leaned heavily against a tree, though let Glasgow ask questions about getting a healer.

Like Glasgow, his attention shifted to the pegasus mare who nearly hid behind the slender, bedraggled Moon Doctor. His navy eyes skimmed over the bright red and blue markings on her face for the two sets of wings on her back. They lingered there for a moment, before sweeping her frame and finding her frame delicate. Surely one set of wings could easily lift her into the skies; with two she must truly fly. Her slender legs looked more accustomed to flight than walking, but on closer inspection he finds her back lacking the profound flight muscles seen on Iona or other pegasus in the herd who often flew.

Navy eyes sweep back to her face, tracing the bright red mark between her amber eyes, before meeting her gaze. A lopsided grin grew across his muzzle, though concern for Tilney lined the black skin around his eyes, “Hello, I am Tembovu, King of the Edge. Do you seek a home here?” He glances towards Tilney, his question open for either of them to answer, before continuing, “Indeed I, like Glasgow, wish to know what happened to you, my friend. You’ve had the herd worried.” You've had me worried.
Tembovu
the elephant king

image | coding

@Tilney @Ultima @Glasgow sorry for the delay, and what even are verb tenses in this post? :X

Please tag Tembovu.

Arah Posts: 343
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Wynter :: Royal Griffin :: Draining Clutch Frostie

Arah

All these days I've been broken and hopeless and I 
I don't feel like I'm coping, I'm hoping that I
Can live and let go, so I can get through it."

Wynter had disappeared some time ago, with every breath of air the doe looked up hopefully. She'd been lonely for quite sometime now, waking up alone and wondering aimlessly around the edge while hoping that today would be the day of his return. Wynter had been her only company in her isolation. Tilney. He'd disappeared some time ago and she'd waited. True, she could be doing much more productive and meaningful things, making friends and getting to know her herd members better but she'd felt a little lost without him. They'd been growing so close and then he'd vanished. The doe hated to admit it, but Tilney's disappearance reminded her of when she'd been left alone last time. The way she'd battled through everything, scared and confused and Crowley had never returned. True, she and Crowley had never really loved each other and she felt a much deeper connection to Tilney but his vanishment had hit her rather hard. Turning to a rather pretty flower Arah studied it, a smile curling her lips, there was still simple pleasures to find. Brushing the tip of her nose along the face on the flower, she allowed the scent to completely infiltrate her nostrils.

Sighing she'd weaved through the trees, another day of waiting, wondering what was to happen next. There was a ruffle of wings and she looked above and smiled up at Wynter. Her bonded landed beside her, Arah watch her happily, eyes focused on the grounded griffin. Wynter however appeared quite distressed, she tugged at the strand of Arah's mane. 'Tilney!' The doe frowned, her gaze upon the creature. Then her heart stilled and her entire body iced over. Immediately her thoughts turned to the worst case scenario. Was he....was he...no. No. He was okay. He had to be.'Cad é sin?' She demanded from her bonded, panic had taken over her body and thoughts. She needed to hold him again, needed to make sure he was okay. Spreading her wings Wynter was once again airborne. 'Tá sé ar ais . Tá sé thar ann.' Arah began following, her heart pounding. She was not walking towards him, she was running. Running to see the one who'd somehow broken through her darkness and allowed the light back in. Over fallen logs she leapt, dodging low hanging branches side-stepping all obstacles in her way. She would not allow anything to prevent her from returning to his side, making sure that he was okay. For the first time in her life Arah flew, the bottom of her hooves barely graced the ground. Rounding a corner close to the borders of the herd-land she saw a group gathered, her eyes desperately searched through those gathered. At this time there was only one that she wanted to see.

And then, there he was.

"Tilney!" She could hear the blatant relief in her voice, tears swam in her eyes. She rushed towards him, stepping around those who had gathered around and finally she was back where she belonged. She stopped inches before him, looking up into the face she knew so well. Heart pounding and a truely joyous smile curved her chops. Sighing happily she snuggled into his chest, hearing his heartbeat once again. Closing her eyes she allowed herself to remain in the moment for a moment longer.

Credit

@Tilney
And I ain't afraid to die, I’m afraid of going to hell.

✽ Force and magic permitted. ✽
✽ No fatal or permanent damage. ✽
✽ Please only tag in opening posts. ✽

Tilney Posts: 288
World's Edge Moon Doctor atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2hh :: VI HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Peatree :: Lesser Fruit Bat :: None Neverrmind

As his unearthly companion tucked behind him, her elegant head hanging over his back, Tilney watched the firs as hoofbeats and answers to his choked call filled the forest. He could recognise those tired, awkward footfalls of his friend Glasgow as she got closer; the boy could tell it was his closest friend from miles away with waterlogged ear drums and all. "Tilney-" his ashen friend had spoken as she slid right onto her hocks before him. This flaxen lad had never been so glad to see anyone in his life, besides when he had first laid eyes on the double winged dove who stood dazed and naked behind his own broken bodice.
"-It'll be alright, I'm glad you're back"

"Glasgow" Escaped from the moon doctors salty lips as the glazier raised her own maw to his cheek. Immediately the overwhelmed young man felt the tears crawl back to the corner of his verdant eyes, looking closely back to the scar irises of his best friend. "I'm so sorry, I..." Tilney spluttered, slowly trailing off and pricking his ears when he heard the familiar trumpet of another small friend. Mbwene had grown; she stood half his height. The elephant had only been a calf when he had last saw her, but he held very fond memories of his kings bonded. He could remember plucking Tembovu flowers and placing them behind her ear (only for her to flap them once and have them all fall out). The sweet matriarchs trunk raised, Tilney dipped his crown to meet his small friends kind eyes which always wrenched his heart strings. But when Mbwene came the elephantine king soon followed, and his hoofbeats were no challenge to miss. The mighty sound almost scared birds out of trees and the gracious king approached. Somehow, he looked taller to Tilney and it terrified him. The king did not speak to him, instead his eyes found their way directly to his scatterbrained friend. Was the king angry with him for disappearing? Would he be punished?

"My King," Tilney began, but did not know where to continue from there. Where would he start? Would he tell them about being swept away, or would he tell them about how he jut couldn't find his way home for a whole year. He could tell them about all those scallywags and pirates he had met on those well and truly godforsaken seas and islands. 
"Tilney!"

It was only then that the bronze boy caught the notes of his girls perfect pitter-pattering footfalls above the sound of his thundering heart. Tilney turned his cranium in the direction of her irish, lilted voice and held on as firmly as he could to the grass underneath his feet as his knees buckled; There she was. 
He was so overwhelmed, there were no words. Only a whirlwind of possible exclamations. In the end though his delicate feet found their way forwards, stumbling and limping he ran to his beloved. Trembling and naked Tilney clung tightly to her as she embraced him, their necks and warm bodies intertwined. 
"Arah"

Art/print purchased from Illustrated Monthly || coding by neverrmind@ DA

aw feelz
+are you guys noticing how much i am STRUGgLinG to write a sad/wrecked Tilney!??? i am not putting up with this bullshit attitude tilbert
@Ultima

(BABYLON DONT LOVE U)

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Ultima Posts: 57
Outcast
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 4
Snapdragon :: Turkish Andora Cat :: None Kairi
A mare came first, and if Ultima was anxious then, it was nothing compared to little Mbwene when she bobbled forwards, small and inexplicably foreign. 

Ultima stared openly for half a minute before remembering her manners, Minerva’s voice resounding in her brain like a strong slap to the cheek. But then Tembovu arrived like a young earthquake, and she couldn’t help the tiny startled squawk, or the feathers rising sharply on her withers. King. A King. ‘Oh Dear God, My God,’ She kept her wings pinned to her back, diverting the rest of her frenzied energy to breathing properly. If you could have unwound her thoughts like a spool of thread, they would have circled the globe five times, hundreds of iterations of the Wild God’s (and may He Dream forever) Prayer laid end to end to end. She gathered herself from the syllables like a bouquet, and after another start – “Tilney!” “Arah!” – set it at the King’s feet.

“Your Majesty, ladies,” she said, gut tight with concentration. Her knees remembered the formal bow perfectly, her wings extended like a downward butterfly; after a steady diet of fear and not much else, however, there was a tremble to the gesture that she couldn’t wholly suppress. ‘Keep going,’ she thought, steadily as she could, ‘Don’t think about it, don’t fall. Just finish it off. One movement into another. Come on.’ The tassels on her headpiece wobbled as she came to rights again, her posture square. Glancing at the boy – Tilney, from what the silver girl said – and then Glasgow, and then the King, she gave what explanation she could. “I found him on the seashore. He said he’d been looking for a special sort of algae or other, and had been swept off by the current.” Her voice grew a little quieter, her pulse deafening. “He made it back all on his own. I only happened to be there.”

“Oh,” she said a third time, blinking once, twice – she’d nearly forgotten. “My name is Ultima. Of the Wood.” (So strange to introduce herself. She supposed she’d never grow accustomed to the idea of people not knowing her name, her face. It was a sad thought; she tucked it away.) “Of— the Rift,” she corrected, her mind flying back through the months, to the desert sand and the strangers fleeing across the Flats’ glass. They’d all said the same – we come from the Rift. “If it wouldn’t too much trouble to you, sire, I … haven’t anywhere else to go.”
and babylon don't love you!

@Glasgow yikes sorry for the wait!!!
please tag ultima in all posts!
force/magic a-ok, shy of killing/maiming her!

Glasgow Posts: 127
Aurora Basin Apprentice atk: 3.5 | def: 10.0 | dam: 7.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3hh :: 11 years HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Skylark
I want a house on the hill by the ocean
Then, out of nowhere she saw the tiny elephant companion of her King. If she weren’t so worried about Tilney and his safety, she would’ve stopped to see if the tiny creature still carried the shard of glass from her painting event. But now was not the time for little things, there were bigger challenges at hand. Getting Tilney better was her number one priority. She nodded silently as Tembovu spoke of the herd worrying, part of her wanting to say that she had been sleeping by his tree every night just waiting for his return – it wasn’t love that drew her to Tilney. It was his gentle and kind companionship that dragged her to sleeping by his tree, hanging onto his every word, just simply his company.

Tilney!

Shifting her head, she moved away from the warm side of the caramel stallion. She allowed Arah to approach at will. For Glasgow hadn’t forgotten the way the two looked at each other, and how stupidly jealous the Glazier had gotten when she had brought Tilney back to the Edge in what seemed like forever ago. A soft sigh passed her lips in relief. Then, the winged mare spoke up – taking the attention from the tree marked stallion. Her glassy gaze swept over to her once again. Looking up to Tembovu with a small smile as if for approval, she nodded to the woman. “I think that would be fine, so long as our King here agrees.” She admitted softly, passing a glance to him while worry still billowed beneath her chest for a healer.

"Talk."
I’d let the tide wash away—
all my critical mistakes.
Glasgow
image | coding

@Tembovu @Arah

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Mbwene chuffed softly in both greeting and contentment as the Moon Doctor lowered his head, her long trunk brushing his face in greeting before moving to the matts in his mane. Tembovu’s navy eyes found Tilney’s exhausted, worried eyes as he waited. His eyes flicked to the ruffled feathers of Ultima as she sank tremulously to her knee. The king had to suppress a rueful grin, before saying, “There’s no need for such formalities, Ultima,” his head bobbed to indicate she could—and should— rise. “Thank you for returning our treasured Moon Doctor to us. The Edge would gladly welcome you,” his grin was warm, genuine, as he looked at the brightly marked, two-winged woman.

But then the King’s ears swept backwards, head following at the relived, feminine, “Tilney!” that cut through the air, his nostrils flaring and head swiveling to watch and scent the ever beautiful Arah as she rushed and crashed into the bedraggled Moon Doctor. Inadvertently his thick, dark lips turned up the corners of his pale muzzle at the heartfelt, intimate reunion of the two finely antlered equines. Though part of him felt the need to look away and respect their privacy, their happiness at seeing each other was so innocent and genuine that the warmth in his chest that bloomed at the sight would not allow him to look away.

So, instead, he simply dipped his head slightly and smiled to himself. He glanced at Utlima and Glasgow, sharing a grin with both of them, before clearing his throat and saying, “I’ll leave you to your hellos, Tilney, Arah.” He paused as he began to turn away, speaking to the newomer, “The Edge welcomes all, and I would be interested in your story at a later time, Ultima, after you have rested.” With a dip of his head in greeting, he snorted for Mbwene to come and he slowly peeled away from the group.
Tembovu
the elephant king

image | coding

Please tag Tembovu.