the Rift

Technicolor!

Unregistered
:: :: ::

The lost prince dreams.

He steps unbound through a forest of swords. The shadows slicing his flanks fall in straight lines, a far cry from the forests of home. Despite this - or because of it? - wonder limns his every stride. Small hooves fall neatly between the blades of grass, and though they bend for him, humble heads turning downward, he leaves them to spring up again in passing. Dreamers don’t eat.

(listen -)

Up ahead, the trees break and the sky peers through. This foreign sun burns hot and furious above, but despite the rivulets of salt barring his sides, the prince laughs. “Sunlight!” his voice bubbles, drunk with wonder and hoarse with disuse - or overuse. Was it the screaming of before, or the silence afterward…? But he dares not think of the waking world. He shakes it away and gambols into the meadow, his gait a strange and lateral thing, the limbs on each side swinging in pairs.

(listen !)

When did the scent of grass last fill his lungs? That dusty taste of day between the boughs? The prince suffers the bitter scent of the strange trees eagerly, drinking in the air like tonic. It feels so real he must be delirious, everything from the days past bleeding together in a whirl of color and sound, threatening death but unable to reach him here — where in his own mind he is still royalty, untouchable, the blood of gods and kings hot in his veins, hot in his heart. His knees bend to lay his speckled body in the grass, where at last he plasters the blades flat and sprawls back his head, regarding daylight with same fervent adoration reserved for lovers. "I missed you," he breathes. Chuckles.

If dreams lasted forever, the lost prince might call himself safe. But presently he grows aware of his vulnerable state, and rolls onto his sternum. If he stares into the hot depths of the forest, it stares back. Reluctantly, his thoughts flicker back to truth, and the hard walls of reality he will find waiting when he wakes. He expects the acknowledgment alone to catapult him back, but still the strange trees linger, the unfamiliar cut of the mountains stark above them. The empty chamber of the prince's stomach growls.

(you are awake)

Leaning toward Edge or an outcast group, but keeping an open mind!

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen

Now that Tallsun had arrived, fully rearing its ugly head, Ashamin was finally done shedding the last of his thick coat. The night before he'd found himself standing lighter and moving with more ease. His sides were no longer mussed and damp, but rather slick with shine and a much thinner layer of sweat.

It was, however, still far too hot for him to bring much of his garb along. In the red shadows of the blood falls, guarded by a sleeping but willingly alert Lochan, the Clovenheart considered his things to be safe. When he journeyed to the threshold he brought only the necklace around his neck and the coils on his tail. Oh, and Rakt, of course.

The blood cerndyr was no longer just a fawn, and as a result he desired to wander further and more independently from his bonded brother. Though all members of their trio preferred to operate at night, it was only Lochan who was naturally designed to do so, and the others catered to him out of solidarity. Rakt grew less patient, though, when he found himself missing the adventures that his bonded carried out during the hours of the sun's height, and so he followed Ashamin to the threshold that day determined to make up for lost time. With every passing day the red-coat grew taller and stronger, and Ashamin was proud to see Rakt growing up. But no matter how proud he was, Ashamin was still shocked when Rakt first spoke to him.

Warm, was all the cerndyr said. It was a simple word spoken with grace, and the sound of the syllable echoed in the Clovenheart's mind for quite some time. With every step he heard it again, warm, until Rakt's surprisingly deep and gruff tones faded into silence. Ashamin would have crafted some sort of reply, but he knew that just because Rakt had learned how to speak, it didn't mean the red cerndyr would become a great forest king of conversation. So the Clovenheart only nodded and continued to walk through the threshold, keeping his companion's pace. Together, they moved in silence.

Ashamin only stopped when Rakt sent an image, painted in his trademark red, flashing across their bond. That, accompanied with a large growl of some stomach, was all that stopped a collision. The cerndyr had stopped short seconds earlier but Ashamin had kept walking, foolishly keeping his head up, and almost tripped over the stag lying on the ground. Just a year or so before, Ashamin would have kept his features low out of some permanent sense of shame; oh, but pride had gifted him with the ease to err.

"My apologies, stranger! I almost didn't see you there," Ashamin said as he stepped back, hoping to give the stallion more room. The newcomer (or at least, given his lack of helovian scent, Ashamin assumed newcomer) was a small buck, mainly white but flecked with brown that could have, from farther away, just seem like spots of dirt. Ashamin would have thought of Seanan if not for the eyes that this resting stallion bore, which were much more like the Clovenheart's.

Ashamin paused for a moment, and Rakt began to look around at anything other than the stranger, feigning a lack of interest. "I am Ashamin the Clovenheart, and this is my companion Rakt. Are you new to Helovia?" Ashamin's large black eyes blinked slowly, and he bent to offer his cheek to the stallion in a warm greeting. Quietly, once more and across their bond, Rakt spoke.

Warm.

A S H A M I N

The Clovenheart

image credit || Tags: @Hé so I see you did make that new character ;P

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

Perhaps it was fate that she left the forests of Morham only to stumble into the forests of the Threshold. Perhaps it was simply likely, because it’s hardly like there aren’t a million forests in the world. She suspects it was simply likely that she’d start and end in similar places. The Threshold wasn’t her forest though, and the differences would always be stark. On the very surface of it, perhaps they weren’t so different either. The trees were sparse in places in both, sunlight filtering in through the cracks in the trees. But there were places to hide, deep in the shadows as well. A little bit of everything.

But the trees were different and the smells were different and the stars are different. She’s come too far for the things that made home home to still be present. Though in the last year, she’s grown used to the Threshold. It’s a place she visits often, wanting to offer those that needed a new start the same chance she’d been giving. The Edge will never replace Morham, but it has been a good place to heal. The horses that call the Edge home are kind, and her work for the herd does not go unnoticed. And it is busy enough to keep her busy as well, to keep her mind from going too far down the path of memories.

It was a dangerous place, that path. One she’s gotten lost on a few too many times. But it’s getting easier, and she’s trying to move on.

Tallsun had arrived in full force, and though her winter coat was gone, even the skies were hotter than she preferred. Though at least, high enough in the sky, the wind could still cool her. And like always, she flies to the Threshold (she only walks when her company cannot join her in the sky), landing on the outskirts of the forest before making her way in. Somedays she found nothing, but most days, there was always someone to be found. And today is no different, though it’s the sound of a familiar voice that catches her attention.

She slips through the trees until Ashamin comes into view, another stallion laying in the grass not far away. Well, that’s a sight. She makes her way to the two men with a smile on her face, an easy, friendly sort of smile that she so often wears. It was a practiced thing once, that over her life on Morham became a natural smile instead. “Ashamin,” she says pleasantly. “It’s seems we are often running into one another.” She offers him a nod before turning her attention to the white stallion on the ground.

“Sorry to interrupt. It is a beautiful day,” she says, imagining that lying in the sunlight on the grass would be a perfect way to spend the day. Had the stallion not been nearly trampled by Ashamin, and then interrupted further by her. “I’m Lyanna. Care for some extra company?”

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Hé!

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki

Unregistered

Now too many things happen at once. The prince lies paralyzed by the hard hammer of truth, his thoughts struggling to twist around what he, a moment ago, perceived and what now must be real. He is here, whole, healthy and so utterly alone he fears he will at any moment fall through the ground and wake up. But the world, insistent as ever, hurls truth at him until he must accept it. The newest truth is the sound of hooves almost directly overhead. The broad, spotted head twists haphazardly to track them, but too late.

A pair of dark eyes peers down at him. A recently-familiar prickle of shame crawls down into the prince's gut. The freckled face displays only polite confusion, though, as it gives up on following the lightning-fast flow of emotion behind his eyes. "Ah..." he responds a little weakly to the apology. How had he not noticed himself about to be trampled? Something about cavorting through sunlight, maybe. Sobriety creeps back into his manner as he watches the stranger back up, blessedly offering some personal space. It's into that space the spotted body now flings itself upright, flinging off bits of grass and flower petals like a sheepish child. The urge to shake himself free of debris is almost overpowering, but afraid of flinging the detritus in the stranger's face, the prince desists. He guesses the stranger is real, after all, as the forest is real, and the gnawing emptiness in his belly is — definitely real.

He reaches tentatively into memory, but pulls back, his dark eyes swimming around the clearing instead. They settle on the small deer standing nearby, traveling up the many tines crowning the stags' head. "Not to worry," the prince hears his own voice saying. Belatedly, he forces his attention back to the — Ashamin. "I'm unharmed." In a manner of speaking, he can't help but think. A worried crease edges into his gaze, though it disappears when yet another stranger appears from between the trees.

The prince is glad to see he's still well-liked.

"Hello!" he calls. At the same time, he tries not to stare, but he's pretty sure that mare has wings attached to her sides. And now fancy battles with wonder as he tries to decide whether or not she's a god and whether or not he ought to be kneeling. She greets Ashamin like a friend, and that adds another, further layer of complication to all of this. The prince is cast far out of his depth. "I'll never turn down company," he tells her honestly enough, for the thought of being abandoned by his new companions is far more terrible than the thought of what either of them may perceive of his manners, or his sensibility.

Recalling what Ashamin said a moment ago, he nods in the stallion's direction, trying not to focus too hard on the strange mound of - rock? - running down the stallion's face. "If 'Helovia' is the name of this forest, then yes, I am." Now, the prince realizes he may be trespassing, and he takes a single, somewhat apologetic, step back, his head lowering just a bit. "Do you live here?" he asks all three of them, for though Rakt has yet to speak, the buck watches him with clear intelligence.

@Lyanna

He wouldn't leave me alone! I relented. No need to tag me!

This was Ashamin's favorite sort of visit to the threshold. When the stallion practically flipped himself upright he revealed an expression of genuine pleasure, of something like an innocent joy. This was not an injured and bitter stag, nor was it a flirtatious and ungrateful mare. It was good to see someone that, for once, wouldn't be so quick to avoid his company in these woods.

There was another whose company was to be had, too: Lyanna. The Clovenheart greeted her with a wide smile and a respectful nod before answering, quietly and contemplatively, "Yes, so it seems. Good to see you again." And that, brief and kind, was all. Rakt moved closer to the mare, for he had seen her more than enough times now to drop his act of not caring. He snorted softly, exhaling cool into the thick Tallsun air and towards Lyanna's chest. As if sensing that the gesture could be considered too caring, he then turned away and shook his coat, letting stardust fall as his eyes--impenetrably gold--rolled imperceptibly.

The newcomer's answer to Ashamin's question was just as precious as his freckled expression. The painted buck smiled at the white stallion, before cocking his head. "This is just the beginning, friend. You stand in the threshold, a forest that welcomes all into Helovia's much larger expanse. There are wilds and herdlands; Rakt and I move through the unclaimed territories, along with a few other loyal companions, and together we make a home for ourselves with knowledge," the Clovenheart explains brightly. He wonders if this stag's desire for company might burn as bright as one for knowledge, but does not yet ask.

Ashamin was new to this land too, once. He knows that these are special moments, one where questions must be asked and answered by those who are willing. Though he'd once been far too shy to ask about much (which later he learned the hard way, and he thought then of Phantom and old wars,) Ashamin wanted to make sure that this newcomer was allowed to voice all his queries. He may have left his scholarly cave, but the mindset--the desire to inspire others to learn--still stuck with him.

Rakt tilted his head as Ashamin's righted, and looked upon the newcomer with bold eyes. Quietly the beast lowed, perhaps saying hello in his own way, before turning to face away from them all and press his side against Ashamin's, as if seeking comfort. Rakt was, after all, still quite young. These were the golden days of some sort of innocent youth for more than one.

A S H A M I N

The Clovenheart

image credit || Tags: @Lyanna Kae, I'm resisting the urge to think of him as Joseph king/prince of dreams :P

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

Ashamin greets her with the same easy familiarity, a pleasantry, and nothing more. It seems appropriate. In some small, perhaps insignificant way, they are enemies of a sort. Always recruiting for the other side. Not that she held this against Ashamin personally in any way. He simply representative a different lifestyle, and there was nothing wrong with that. But still, all their meetings were tinged with just a bit of battle. Of a rather friendly sort, but still. Rakt moved closer as well, snorting softly toward her chest. She smiles, not entirely certain if the appropriate gesture is to snort back. So instead she settles for a nod and a smile toward the cerndyr, though he’s quick to turn away and return to that disinterested stance of his. She grins a little wider before focuses on the two equines at hand again.

The new stallion, unlike her and Ashamin’s last shared encounter in the Threshold, is pleasant and friendly and, truthfully, a bit of a relief. Lyanna didn’t have much of a clue what to do with the rude, half-dying stallion from before. This, the world of pleasantries and manners, was what she was she was born for. She’d spent the short four years of her life in Morham being trained in those very things. Pretty, false smiles (though they had never been false with her). Pretty, false words (usually not false with her, though there’d be a handful she would have yelled at). Pretty, false things. That is the world of a princess. And though she is no longer one, old habits die hard. At least here, sometimes, she finds that others are not false in return. At least, they don’t appear to be.

Ashamin explains where they are, offering a home without borders as he always does. She can’t really imagine that life, but wonders sometimes what it must be like. Is it lonely? Or do they find each other enough that it feels like a family? She doesn’t know, and can’t assume one way or another. But she also knows, that for now, keeping a few things consistent from her old life has done her some good. She knows how to serve a King and Queen, and so she does. “I’m from the World’s Edge, one of the four herd in Helovia. All of the herds have monarchs, and various different jobs and ranks for the citizens of those herds. There’s a job for everyone’s interest, though the Edge doesn’t require that you pick one.”

There’s so much more she could say about the Edge. How they had welcomed her in with open arms. How they’d given her a second chance, and how they’d repaid her work (what felt like so little, but perhaps was not when she really thought on it) so quickly. How beautiful the cliffs were, how quiet and peaceful the forest there was. But she keeps her mouth shut, figuring she’s given the new stallion too much information already. She remembers coming here not all that long ago, remembers feeling so overwhelmed in that moment. There was so much she didn’t know. There’s still so much she doesn’t know. But it’s gotten easier, keeps getting easier. And for those that want to choose the Edge as well, she’s here to help.

After a moment, she realizes she never caught the other stallions name. Perhaps he didn't give it, or perhaps she'd been too late to hear it. "May I ask your name?" Because perhaps, he simply didn't want to give it. Sometimes names held far too much memory. 

watch how i soar.

lyanna

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Unregistered

So, Helovia is a kingdom. Or maybe better thought of as a collection of kingdoms... The prince's little ears drink this information eagerly and without interruption. Ashamin's is a voice made for oration, one both pleasant and easy to follow. It seems a shame, then, he ought have no home. Curiosity gleams in the depths of those dark eyes, but the spotted stallion weighs his words. Calling someone out for homelessness would be a crass way to begin any relationship - and he hopes to begin one here. A relationship - the kind made of camaraderie and not necessity. It's been too long.

"I see," he replies cheerfully. "In... my travels I've come across wandering scholars and monks." Maybe Helovia's seekers of knowledge are different, but the ascetic life has never been a possibility worth entertaining, in the prince's mind. Long hours spent alone with only his thoughts for company... Too recently had that been his own situation, devoid of choice. He craves instead the sound of music, of laughter. He wonders if Ashamin's unnamed companions hold a court of their own, or if they prefer the shared quiet of breathing. There is no conclusion to draw from wondering. "What kind of knowledge do you chase?" He asks instead, his words making even scholarship an exciting game, a challenge to be met with zeal and taken to its pinnacle. Maybe the answer will shed light on Helovia, as well, and what beats most dearly to the center of its peoples' hearts. Knowing the name of a place is nothing; the prince only wonders more about what mysteries are held inside.

It is with no lack of courtesy, then, the prince turns to Lyanna when she takes her turn. It speaks well of her - or Ashamin - or both - that as representatives of such disparate entities, they engage each other with amiable respect. The prince acknowledges this reflects well upon those they represent, as well. The World's Edge. "An impressive name," he says, with an eager bob of his head. And it is; it conjures immediately old images of ancient temples perched upon the crowns of misty mountains, memories of home glimpsed far too long ago. "What is your title there?" And so many more questions brimming on the tip of his tongue! The prince dares not voice them all for fear of wearing his company's patience, but he watches them flit through his head on eager wings, as warmed by conversation as his body is by sunlight. More pressing than his idle curiosity, though, is knowledge of his trespassing (for he is) and the potential consequences (for there must be some). Why else would would Helovia's natives patrol its borders so keenly? What do they have to protect, and what covets it?

The prince wishes in some small way he were still innocent enough to be naive about such things. He regrets, so much as he allows regret to flourish, that he must turn at least one ear toward them in caution. He would beg forgiveness for his lapse in supplying a name, but it is of course entirely on purpose. The last creatures to take from him full name and titles abused them enough to wreck his generosity with such information forever. "Oh!" There's a moment - just a moment - where the prince hesitates. "Please," he says, recovering so quickly the fumble may not even be perceptible, "Call me Hé." Just Hé. He feels his mother's disapproval as if she stands just behind him, but silently he promises it is for her benefit, as well. He can do nothing more to protect the hearts of those he loves, even if they beat too far away now even to dream of. The prince is wise to be cautious; the world is not as kind as he wants it to be.

He will not be cowed, of course. A soft, twinkling smile plays over his features at the sound of Rakt's voice, so different from any of the equine voices among them. There is a story between stag and stallion, one hoped for though not yet called outright. People cannot be asked to give up their secrets if nothing's given in return. Trust is a slow thing carefully grown. The prince respects this as he turns the conversation gently away from himself once more. "You must both have things to do. What brings you to the forest here?" And how do I figure in? is the unspoken question. The prince - Hé - tilts his head. He suspects he will learn much about his immediate future from the answer, and hopes to find it pleasant.

@Lyanna
wtf you guys how is he supposed to choose between these sweethearts ;~;

Ashamin waits for some time before answering the newcomer's question, suspecting that by keeping silent he will learn more. Besides, he would not wish to speak over Lyanna. It's true that they're competitors of a sort, but he likes her, for what that's worth. The Clovenheart isn't sure if she sees him with friendship in mind, or if she ever could given that they always meet at strange odds, but he sees no reason to preclude it. Besides, it would be good to have a friend in the World's Edge, it is one of the herds he knows the least about. When Rakt lights a grin across her features, he can't help but let his own lips lift. Rakt runs his gold antlers along the ground, impatient and irritable that his momentary lapse has revealed something like affection.

Waiting pays off in the end, for Ashamin gleans the cheerful stallion's name: . Ashamin nodes slowly, considering the brief moniker. It is unlike his own, but bears its own charm. The painted buck looks back at the spotted stag then, prepared now with an answer.

"The Unbound seek all knowledge, and though some pursue the Gods I would not liken us to the priests you may have encountered. We are independent, but connected by trust and what we teach each other. It is not the lonely life that many in herds might think it to be," Ashamin explained, trying to emphasize that his experience was not one of devastating solitude. Rather, he simply had his freedom to do as he pleased without fear of tarnishing the name of leads that existed far above him. He liked it that way.

Rakt's large ears swiveled and his gaze lifted as he listened into Ashamin's thoughts. The red cerndyr also enjoyed this way of life, and the time that it afforded him to practice his magic and sparring skills. "To answer your question more specifically, however, my primary discipline is the art of combat. Crusaders of the Unbound fight to defend; Rakt is my bondmate, and he often aids me in spars," Ashamin explained, turning down to look at the cerndyr. Rakt turned to face Hé and kicked out his hind legs proudly then, ruffling his elk's beard and lowing.

Ashamin couldn't help but nicker at that--couldn't help but reach down to ruffle the soft fur between his cerndyr's antlers despite all resistance.

A S H A M I N

The Clovenheart

image credit || Tags: @Lyanna :)

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.

Unregistered

Though no one gathered here (save Rakt and Ashamin, maybe) could rightly claim any strong tie with anyone else, a certain feeling hovers over the meeting. It reminds Hé of the sunlight he so recently reunited with — of wildflowers blooming and the joyful play of seafoam and even the soft sigh of the wind through petal-laden branches. Home, he names the sensation with silent delight. The lost prince, so far from his birthplace he might now call those mountains a dream, carries home in his breast, in the exact colors he finds in the sky only at morning and the endlessly delightful tilt of a stranger's laugh. His attention jumps evenly from Lyanna to Ashamin to Rakt, so comfortable and well-timed a gesture it betrays no unease — only a most intrepid interest. Even knowing as little as he does, Hé foresees no future in which his mere presence unites their disparate interests, and yet he plays idly, optimistically with the thought of conversing all day, learning what there is to learn, winning the affection of the marvelous and yet childishly shy buck clinging to Ashamin's side. How many doors there are to open in Helovia!

His heart pounds in his chest if he allows himself to think too hard on it. Hé reins in his excitement by degrees, asking his interest to narrow down again to now. Breathe, breathe. There is time. There is so much time to explore and exult, he need not rush himself — yet here he is. Rushing.

Small ears cock toward Ashamin's voice yet again, only a little perturbed to find he took the measure of the stallion rather incorrectly. The calm, kindly manner of the monochrome stallion would befit a priest, Hé thinks, consoling himself. To wander as one wished, seeking only knowledge, bound by no loyalty save to a few companions and the whims of curiosity.... Hé imagines this life. Imagines himself in this life. The songs of the great palace lie so far behind him he no longer recalls enough words to string them together — more holes than notes of sound. And the fires burning in the night sky are all lost to Hé forever. He ought to stop reminiscing, comparing everything of Helovia's waking light to everything he remembers from before... Nostalgia cripples the mind. Fear deadens its feet.

He is alive.

It's in the rest of Ashamin's answer, though, Hé finds an immediate distraction and a true jolt of surprise. A warrior? He'd never have guessed, not given the whole afternoon! Delighted and warm, laughter, bursts from his throat in several golden notes. His eyes sparkle as they land on Rakt's display, more than a hint of admiration hiding in the depths — and something else. Hé doesn't name the other emotion, does not give if precedence, but it lingers, a shadow behind the easy language of his smile. "A warrior? My friend, you're an inspiration!" Even as he speaks, Hé's eyes linger on the buck, questions firing again and again in the back of his mind. Bondmate, is the word, new and exciting, he stores away most carefully for later.

He tears himself from Rakt before it gets uncomfortable, and studies Ashamin with new eyes for the first time. True, Hé wouldn't have guessed soldier, mercenary, or even the kind of monk suited to martial mastery. Nothing in the spotted stallion's life has prepared him for measuring the differences between a warrior's stance and a common creature's. He might be observant in other ways, but he knows nothing of this particular art beyond what damage it promises his own person. He's at once drawn closer in and repulsed, intrigued and frightened. Ultimately, the fear pushes him forward simply because it wants so badly to push him back.

"Maybe you could teach me something," he jokes, the term dead weight coming to mind in a most literal sense. "But Ashamin, I am curious about your friends and this... land." Hé can't rightly call it a kingdom, but he falters over the appropriate term. "What must a stranger do to wander Helovia's lands freely, like you do?" Not forever, he thinks. Maybe not even for long — the nomad's life will never, has never, suited him. But he can hardly decide to leave without knowing what he leaves behind, and he can hardly pledge to stay without knowing to what he pledges himself.

Sorry to skip you Kyra, just want to get him out of the Threshold. Would love if they could thread together again, though! :)

Rakt shuffled backwards and away from Ashamin's touch the moment it was offered. In private the cerndyr would have gladly accepted the gesture, but before this newcomer he was meant to be seen as a tough warrior companion rather than a coddled infant one. He snorted once, but with enough force to get the point across. Ashamin obeyed, shaking his head and smiling. He couldn't help but let the cheer shine through his expression.

Hé's continued interested sparked further joy in the Clovenheart. While Rakt lifted his head higher upon being complimented for his warrior rank, Ashamin only rolled his shoulders and adopted a modest, almost shy look. "Oh, I'm not sure about that. But I would be more than happy to teach you some of what I know, Hé. That is, after all, the way of all members of the Unbound," Ashamin said, waving his long tail brightly. It would be nice to show this stallion a few things, but the painted buck worried somewhat that it would only do more harm than good; practice spars with the Clovenheart had ended in bloodshed, as of late. It had grown to a point where Ashamin wondered how he was so unaware of his own strength.

Not wishing to think more of the hurt he had caused, Ashamin focused on Hé's next words. The worry faded from his mind when the newcomer asked more about the Unbound, and even Rakt's mood seemed to improve at the thought of this friendly stag joining them in the wilds.

"All that is asked of members of the Unbound are that they are loyal, independent, would teach and learn, and be willing to defend themselves and their allies should the need arise--in whatever manner best suits them," Ashamin said, reciting the tenets he'd crafted himself with more confidence than ever before. "We would be honored if you would choose to join us, and I could travel with you through these lands, telling you what I know, until you felt familiar enough with the land to wander on your own," he offered, remembering how nervous he had been upon coming to Helovia. The land was large, after all, and it seemed as if it grew every day. Having a guide at the start of life there could do Hé no harm.

A S H A M I N

The Clovenheart

image credit || Tags: @Lyanna and @Hé :)

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

Perhaps they could be friends, her and Ashamin. She doesn’t see a reason why not, other than they have never really taken the time to get to know one another outsides of these encounters in the Threshold. Ones that he so often won, and which she was slightly bitter about but would never show or admit to. That would be unladylike, and unsportsmanlike, and un-princess-like (all terms Corbin would berate her with when she was being a sore loser, because sometimes she can be…okay often). To Corbin’s credit, she’ got much better about that as she grew. And really, someone picking a place to live isn’t something she can necessarily win or lose. It would just be nice to give someone else the opportunity she has had. A new start. Because she knows all too well about those.

The conversation quickly moves on without her, Hé seeming rather interested in Ashamin’s offer (they always do. Hell, even she admits sometimes it’s tempting to consider should her life in the Edge go to hell). Perhaps it is simply because it is a life half the princes and princesses of the world dream of (oh, to be free, or something – Lyanna had been perfectly happy in her old life). Perhaps because those who wandered before cannot fathom a life in which they do not wander now. Perhaps because there’s something beautiful to the idea of it.

But then again, there is much good in a herd as well. They work and they help one another and the land. Oh, it is a beautiful, at the literal edge of the world here. The mists rolling over the cliffs, the forest not far behind, shards of glass glimmering in the sunlight.

She lets the stallions talk, not wanting to interrupt, not wanting to stop the flow of the young boy’s questions. She wonders if he has as many as she did, when she first arrives (or really, still does, the questions simply change). When the opportunity arises (mostly because she fears if she stays silent too long, she will simply miss the opportunity all together), she figures it’s about time to throw in her two cents. Whatever it’s worth. She’s here, after all.

“I serve the Edge as a healer, learning the different herbs and offering assistance where I can. But I admit, I also enjoy wandering the wilds of Helovia and frequenting the Threshold, and I’m often out of the Edge as much as I’m in it. Others serve the herd as warriors, not unlike Ashamin,” she offers him a nod and smile, “or sleuths, crafters, or seers. Whatever suits you best. We do answer to a King and Queen there though, unlike the Unbound.” She falls silent, leaving it at that. She could go on, certainly, but that seems like more than enough information for one little speech. She’ll wait for his questions, if there are any, and go from there.

watch how i soar.

lyanna

Ugh, so sorry! The weekend got away from me (like always...). Feel free to ignore her, but I wanted to at least say I didn't forget about you. ;)

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Unregistered

However much the prince feigns innocence, he is aware he now stands at a crossroads. Whatever he does next will set him down a new road. It's a welcome change, from all he has endured before. If he suffers a pang of regret, of nostalgia, he quickly kisses it goodnight and lays it to rest. Forward, forward. The past is a graveyard, black and white. He strives toward every spectrum cast by the sun. Now his dark eyes fix with keen attention to Ashamin and the promise of the Unbound, so very unlike everything Hé knows of home and loyalty. He cannot promise, to himself or his maybe-friend, any future loyalty just yet. He cannot pledge his name to a strange king or country without some introspection. But he is curious, his mind open to the possibility of a place he might belong. It is to the chime of possibility then Hé adheres.

The small head turns politely to Lyanna all the same, some modicum of self control biting back the thousands of questions swarming his back teeth. Hé likes to think he will see her again, perhaps even on friendly terms. Healers are good people to know, of course. And he would like to know what kind of kingdom houses those with such magnificent wings, what can rightly call itself the World's Edge. Maybe it is the threat of law he skirts in avoiding her home; maybe it is the shadow crawling at the edges of his brain when he thinks of kings and politics again. With a small nod, Hé settles himself, aware that he is coming to a part he dislikes always, a part called good bye. Hopefully not for too long.

"Thank you for entertaining my curiosity," he tells them both humbly, his head lowering a fraction before finding its usual position once more atop his thick neck. "I hope one day to see the World's Edge with my own eyes. Perhaps we could meet again?" A quaint tilt of the head, an almost flirtatious curl to the sound of his voice. All pass quickly as breathing. Hé turns next to Ashamin, unable to hide the curiosity in his gaze or the eager desire for more. He will devour the lands beyond this forest with the same joy he first greeted the forest with. "I would like to go with you, Ashamin. To meet your friends before I make any broad declarations," Hé admits. "But I am eager to do so. If you will lead on," he prompts, his tail swishing gently, his ears pricked. A single glance back toward Lyanna though, warmth bubbling in the dark wells of his eyes, in the sweet notes of his voice. "Good bye, Lyanna. It was a pleasure."

Uhh shitty post just to wrap this up.