the Rift

[DROP] Lost Soul [common NSS]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

“Lost! I’m lost!!”

The brown creature was wandering around aimlessly, stumbling across the Tallsun-touched Steppe. As a newborn moose, he was far out of the forests that they preferred to call home and that meant far away from everything - from life and safety and mother. One day, if he survived, he would grow into a formidable creature capable of defending himself against most others! He would be glorious! For now, though “little” was relative when it came to such infant animals, he was small enough to feel helpless out in the wild.

Beneath his hooves, he crunched over lichen and grass that grew in this short absence of the snow - the heat of this year strong and even couraging long-dormant flowers to sprout from the frozen ground. A beautiful sight, sure, but he didn’t care about any of that. Not now at least - flowers had brought him here and he cursed at them for getting him lost. Never trust a flower. He was only a few days old but he was learning hard lessons with each passing step.

“Mama?!” He cried again, sniffling as he continued to shuffle along - dragging his hooves along the rocky ground. Far off, he could see some strange rocky outcrops and he was thinking to try them. It was a destination, at least. The sun was climbing higher and higher into the sky and there were almost no clouds, so here in the stretch north of the sea and south of the ocean, that not-so-little moose felt quite small indeed. He was tired and he was hungry and he was sad - being lost was not as fun as he thought it would be. There were no musical numbers to sing about it, no smaller animal sidekicks popping out of the ground to offer assistance. Nothing! Just him, out there, all alone.

A wailing sob shook the young moose’s body as he continued, tears and snot dripping down his face and making him quite the pitiful appearance as he continued to move along, slowly heading toward those pointy rocks.

What would you do, if you came across such a thing?

----------

This is a COMMON NSS (Non-Species Specific) COMPANION DROP

Please post with what you are seeking and any previous refusals of this type that you may have. If you want to use extra VOTG rolls, please post those as well.

You have 72 hours to reply!

Shahrokh Posts: 19
Absent Abyss
Colt :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 2 years
dark
There was nothing worse than feeling nothing at all, not the sands beneath your hooves or the warm winds of the Dragon's Throat tussling your hair. It's all just black against bitter cold clawing against shrugging shoulders, howling winds taking up any subtle sounds. I'm helplessly alone, uncharacteristically far from home and oh so lost— not having Mama or Yseult proved difficult, unable to navigate the borders of the Throat without them. I had begun to develop a permanent state of caution, always on high alert as I stumble through life on unsteady legs. There was always something new awaiting me, with every quiet step there was always more lingering at the edges

I'd begun to notice there was something off when the world became too quiet, too still and harshly cold, all that could be heard were the crunches of brittle snow beneath weary hooves. It was treacherous and unsettling, crisp air burning as it enters my lungs and leaves my eyes dry and irritated— I'm threatened by tears, growing plump at the edges of my eyes and daring to spill over. Hopelessly alone and shamefully about to admit defeat, ready to collapse and let the cold consume me, I hear it.

A wail, frantic calls and hushed sniffles that linger at the edge of my hearing, a cry for help. I flourish with desperation, a need to find who called so softly, whose voice trembled with such panic. "H-hey!" The childish squeak of my voice, accompanied by the sheer fear of solitude, leaves my word a quivering disaster tumbling gracelessly from my lips. I follow the sounds of a wet nose and sore throat, of wallowing despair at the loss of oneself. I come upon a saddened someone, a cry against the desolation.

I know they are there, can hear their sobbing much clearer now, the sharp inhales of breathe as they indulged in their panic. I don't know where their is, choosing to face their general direction and hope for the best— they sound young, with a cold side and trembling shoulders, reminiscent of my own youth (I am still young). "It's okay, I'm here. You aren't alone anymore." The words are soft and soothing, perhaps meant for them or for me— both, maybe. It's the same tender hum Mama had used on me when I brought myself into a panic, overwhelmed with crumbling walls and distant cries of false realities. She would hold me tightly and whisper uncertainly, promising to always be there for me. Bullshit.

"Just relax, breathe." I offer an example of a very specific method of breathing, one I'd learned to use in times of need, when my throat constricted and everything seemed pointless. In, I took a deep breath, held it there, and let it out. I hoped they were following my example. I take in another breathe, repeating the process for several cycles before my crippling anxiety offered me a tattered sense of reality and proceeded to recede. "I heard you calling for your mother," just as I often do. My nights are plagued by the sound of her voice in my head, cursing my sleep as I tremble, desperate to reach the fading syllables before it's all too late (it always is). She's always too far, and I never no where to reach out to— what it is I should be reaching for.

"Would you like me to help you look?" This question was useless, a pitiful offer to a lone child. I had no working eyes to spy her with, no magic power to instantly find her, I was no help at all, just a companion to the lost child. It's better than being alone, though. So companionship was all I had to offer, held out by trembling fingers and uncertainty, held loosely and with hesitance. "words."
Shahrokh
This is the world as I see it now,
Turns out that nothing is fair
credits :: table

shah is seeking a leviathan with the ability boil
wishlist
no prior refusals,
[Image: dark1_by_schwartze-d8al7s3.png]
and this is the world as i see it now,
turns out nothing is fair

Romina Posts: 33
Outcast
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.2hh :: 9 Months
Brit

Despite Romina's distaste for anything cold or damp, she knows the Steppe like the back of her hand. It was a necessary evil when it came to escaping the Basin on different adventures, and it had lead to quite a few interesting discoveries. Her aunt and her aunt's cerndyr, for example. But it didn't mean Romina particularly enjoyed the northern climate, especially without mountains to shield the chill of the air and no hot springs to chase away the lingering cold. At least the scorching summer had chased away most of the snow drifts, encouraging flowers to bloom from sparse soil. And Romina unfortunately loved flowers. Thus her current predicament.

These flowers were very rare, with the climate they were in, and Romina had never seen them before. So of course she was on the hunt for the prettiest ones available, hoping to bring them back for Ru'in. Maybe they could even find someone to braid them in for her, so that her brother wouldn't lose them so often.

At least that had been the plan, until she heard the young bellowing sound of another creature crying for help and declaring itself lost. And there in the distance, two large shapes converging upon one another, both dark and stark against the pale landscape. Frowning at having been disrupted from her hunt, but far too curious to leave well enough alone, Romina bounded over to where the two were talking. Or, to where one was talking.

For a moment she observes the juvenile moose, feeling an odd, deep sympathy for the lost calf. But she was not one for idle comforts like the other child, and she didn't want to repeat whatever he had said anyways. They needed to be...what was the word? Proactive.

But she wasn't going to be rude either. She gave the calf his space but let her ears droop to the side, hoping her familiar cervine features would perhaps calm the distressed creature. "We'll both help you," the fawn assured with conviction. "Do you remember the last place you saw your mama? The woods, a lake, snow? You seem very far north," she commented with a worried frown. If her kind weren't meant for the cold, why would a close relative of the species be? Or at least that was what her childish logic insisted. Deer lived in the forest, so surely he did too.

If he could at least remember where he'd last seen his mother, perhaps they would recognize the biome and be able to lead him back into the wilds to try and find her.

Image Credit

Romina is seeking a Kitsune
Wishlist
No prior refusals

Sielu Posts: 47
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 5 years :: Orangemoon
Angel

When we’d come off those gut wrenching heights, I’ve never been so happy to return to a nonexistent elevation. After kissing the ground and many hours later, the mountains are behind us (so are the unpleasant memories.) Fear is washed away by the warm beams of undiluted light that gently stroke my dancing, vibrant tendrils and caress my bright, sleek lavender. In full sun, this frostfall coat reveals a subtly change. Over these warming weeks, it turns from dull to bright – a sleek residue permits me a light jacket, thin enough to endure the day and thick enough to insulate me when the sun vanishes over the horizon. As we enter the wasteland, my eyes are treated to a delightful surprise that these cool lips can’t suppress. An freed grin stretches either corner of my face apart. Amazing... I could hardly recognize the steppe. Nature would never cease to surprise me; she could take a desolate place and make it unrecognizable. The thaw reveals a different sort of beauty – glorious in its own wild way. A short while ago, this frosty land was nothing but bleak -- snow blinding flurries and frosty temperatures frayed and ravaged.

But today (and for a little while down the road) the sky isn’t foredooming; instead it is flawless, an unblemished sapphire. Brighter than the feathers of a blue bird. Gone are the dreaded ashy clouds that brought ice to needle my body and damp sludge to tangle my feet. As we walk across this reborn wasteland, my cool lips can’t suppress a toothy awed grin. Nearly every inch of turf has undergone a transformation. With the absence of snow and abundance of moisture, bits of strangled green are poking out from the topsoil and courageous, young stems with petal faces brave the cool air for their glimpse of sunlight.  

Suddenly the brisk, enjoyable atmospheres is interrupted by a faint, shrill cry carried on the breeze. I spare a wary glance to the claw-footed male I’d met on the mountainside. My temples pitch in vexation, invisible fingers reach for him -- attempting to bridge our minds, “Hear that?” I ask, while the shout resounds until it becomes a whisper...a memory. Turning into the gale, my optics and ears scan for the source…it doesn’t take long before our walk in the anticipated direction uncovers a trio of faded shapes. From this great distance they appear boxy, stunted against the bare horizon. I quicken from his side, naturally assuming my mountaineer friend would follow along. Upon closer inspection, it becomes painfully apparent that all three are juveniles. Their collection includes a hybrid colt, (older than the others) …. a thin calf and infant filly. “They made it all the way out here…alone?” I frown, treading upon confusion and mild concern. Reaching for my magic, I struggle with the attempt to form a link between each of them. “What happened?” Gems drift around, scanning for signs of another adult.

No rejections
Seeking a Kitsune

Milo Posts: 60
Outcast
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 2 years [Birdsong]
Jen

I do not often travel north. In my short life (which is, to my credit, apparently longer than all but one of those present) I have quickly discovered that the falls and the lands south of it hold all that I need to maintain a false front of happiness. For the sake of those unfortunate souls who must encounter me, who must suffer through the awkward appearance of weakness and silence, it is easier to confront these things in warmer climes.

Besides, the cold does nothing for my aching bones. And if not for Tallsun's generous heat, which spreads so far up now that even the ice of these desolate plains begins to reveal flowers I might never have witnessed this sight at all. But I have, and I'm here, at yet another gathering of beasts as they fuss over the pitiful nature of the unknown.

With the curse of the bone creature's migraines just barely tapering into nothing, I am still not yet in the mood to pretend to care. When the three leap to comfort him I only snort and turn away. I learned very early in life that a parent's love was a rare and privileged gift, one that I was not to be blessed with. When mothers left, they did not come back.

If I'd had the mind to speak I might have said as much--sat the calf down and explained to him what it meant to be abandoned by your own life giver--but as it were I only chose to express my apathy by not approaching the creature at all. Besides, the other three seemed to have a handle on it, if only for their own selfish needs.

I will only admit that I attempted to help under the pretense that it is understood that I did so not out of pity or sympathy, but rather to cease the wailing. Undisturbed my head was fine, but this much crying was brewing a storm between my temples. So I lowered my gaze to the ground, stepping carefully and awkwardly as I always did as I searched for hoofprints in the melting snow. It was a vain hope, but I had to do something even if I couldn't bring myself to believe that any sign of the mother would be found.

After all, mothers didn't come back.

""

MILO

I was forgotten, waiting to be found
image credits

No priors.
Seeking a hellhound.

Vu Posts: 28
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 14.3 :: 3 (Orangemoon)
Istina

But now, since all is idle

Stagnant air pushes back as my lungs expand, the heat of the day already oppressive and fierce. I do not slow my pace though, preferring today to allow my legs to stretch themselves in a mild trot and carry me away from the Falls. It will only be a matter of time I suppose until a streak of lightning or careless magic causes the dried sticks and twigs to ignite there and I eagerly seek out the fastest ways to escape. Where will I flee to in such an event? A chuckle is barely suppressed as I instantly think of the Threshold where my feet always seem to take me. The entrance to these lands is nothing spectacular and I know it is not the forest scenery that draws me there. It is the aching pit of loneliness firmly nestled into my heart that keeps me coming back, even on days when I think I want to be alone.

Raven tassels quake as an equally dark head shakes in effort to clear it.

I will not dwell on those thoughts today and turn cerulean eyes to a trail on the right side of the Falls entrance and I change direction to pursue it. Away from the Threshold and my vain attempts at companionship…it is foolish of me to attempt to change the stars of fate. My voice echoes thought, “Accept.” The singular word would make little sense to any nearby to overhear but I know the meaning in the chastising tone. Time, blissfully, passes quickly as I absorb myself into the newness of an unexplored area until onyx limbs are stretched enough and I slow to an easy walk as the ground underneath begins to change. From dirt and sticks to rocks and periodic unappetizing grasses.

Bright eyes shift and glide, back and forth, back and forth.

The difference here compared to my usual haunt is impressive and I am instantly drawn in to its stark beauty. Almost immediately I get the impression that all of this land is typically snow-covered and I am happy to have found it knowing I will return when the snows begin to fall once more. Voices begin to trickle my way as I move toward a pointed section of large rocks. The shifting of my eyes slows as I zero in the source, or rather sources, of the youthful voices. To my surprise there is a girl resembling both unicorn and deer; the mingling of the two species beautiful in her slight frame. I approach the group to seek the reasoning for the gathering, my eyes lingering on the boy I met on the beach for a moment before moving on. A young deer-relative shakes and cries, the sound placing a new crack in this already fractured heart. I shift toward him cautiously and lower my eyes to his level, the tiniest of smiles playing the corners of my lips as I whisper near his ear. “Oh, dear one, you must be lost…but if you stop and listen carefully I will tell you a secret.” My experience with children is limited but this is what my siblings would say to me when I was a foal and it nearly always worked on me.

To this lost heart be kind

"speech"

OOC:    

Vu is seeking a Cerndyr
Wishlist
No previous refusals.

-All magic and force are permitted barring serious injury and/or death-
-Powerplay outside of fighting is permitted-
-Please tag in all replies-

Kitty Posts: 10
Up For Adoption atk: 5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.0
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.3 hh :: 7 HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Adoptable
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Given how far you always are from Kitty, you know him to prefer solitude. You want to be his shadow but you must settle for being his distant and unrequited lover. You tell yourself, in the night, that this will do.

Maybe it's this land or maybe it's Kitty's vague desire for power, but you find him breaking his patterns. Now he moves towards clusters of life, approaching gathered groups on the assumption that their collection will result in an event not unlike that held by the bone master. It's a smart move, given that Kitty's one for rewards regardless of their value. He does everything well, after all; he deserves a little something as far as you and he are both concerned.

So he moves through the steppe on powerful limbs, passing by the very mare he met here not long ago without so much of a blink of an eye. Does he forget who she is, or does he not care to acknowledge her? Well, she certainly can't be very important to him, and certainly not more important than whatever carrot might be at the end of this stick.

When he cuts through the crowd, though, gracefully moving between significantly smaller bodies, he is disappointed to find that this gathering's gift giver is nothing but a lost moose calf. A crying, talking, lost one, but only a moose nonetheless. He wrinkles his lips so perfectly that you desire to hold them, if only to smooth out his distaste.

"You are nothing but children," he says to three of the gathered, but mostly to the two who try their best to console the young creature. "Surely you should be finding your own mothers, don't you think? Let the adults handle this," Kitty commands roughly, whipping his tail across his tower-like legs as he does so. He narrows his eyes then upon the small mares, but once again does not settle his gaze.

""
Kitty
Image credit to Mister Wind-Up Bird at flickr.com

Seeking a Boggart.
No priors.

Banjo Posts: 37
Absent Abyss atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.0
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: 4 HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Riven

All most immediately Banjo was feeling better. That was above the level of loftiness he might have dared achieve - certainly none of that feather-brain flying folks about the place took part in. No, his big-eared head belonged out of the clouds; his long-feet square on solid, normal ground. He glanced towards his fine, billowy travel companion, gaging round about about the same feeling from her expression, the gradual lightening of her previously sober stride. Footloose and and fancy free - well he was anyway, and even the sunlight cloaking his rough bronze hide seemed all the more cheerful.

Briefly, as she strolled and he tried, the buck’s casual green gazed slipped across the sleek outfit which Sielu wore. It was gleaming still brighter than the frivolous rainbow colours of nectar-loving avians back home (and in many ways just as nauseating), but stark patterns, candy-coats and apparently smoking sheilas, was pretty much the norm here. Banjo had more or less learned to suck it up and ditch the wonder.

They stepped from an endlessly winding, rocky trail girt by rocky grass, into a new world of - you guessed it, rock and rock. The purple filly’s face lit up with all the ferocity of a trillion fireflies and her glowing gaze combed the fast field of nothingness before them - riveting… Banjo too looked, grinning for her sake and that of his own good-nature, but really, he had half a mind to ‘herd’ them away, in the very opposite direction.

That was until they both heard the cry of youth, born upon the breeze.

“Oh that sounds exciting!” he blurted suddenly, a little overzealously, noting the sweet sincerity on her rather striking face. Maybe the place wasn’t so dull after all! Without pausing to stare (he’d done that to the point of awkwardness already), his whiskered nose followed the direction she searched, and glittering gaze soon discovers them behind her. There was something amusing bout her muteness - his desire to talk into space without so much of a whisper of her contribution. It was also difficult for him to remember that the boom of his accent was not limited to Sielu…

“Bloody parents these days ay? Kid’s worms are prolly eatin him inside out by now… what is it?” Babies were like ravenous bloodsucking mozzies. Theirs were insatiable appetites and he was sure the funny-looking little four-legger would be no different. Smoothly he looked at the only mare among them, “got any boobychinos on deck?” All of them present could've used one it seemed - yeah, even Banjo wasn’t opposed.

More gathered quickly on top of them - undoubtedly freaking such a youngster out, but who was he to tackle the outpour of empathy (mostly) and give him space to breath.

So the buck turned a circle that had him finish some small way back, and from their he watched the unfolding chaos with rather a look of sympathy evolving through his features.

One Boggart please, hold the spook :)
No refusals
Plots | The Unbound | Absences
I run just like this!
Please tag me in openers and spars.
Feel free to flog n magic me, mild power play is also fine.
Text in the profile and posts reflects stereotypical ocker slang - don’t knock it mate!

Aelfwine Posts: 101
Dragon's Throat Warrior atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Vanya :: Common Cerndyr :: Lamplight Skylark
Something in you is yearning,
for where all the wild things went,
There was something that had drawn her this far out. It was cold and she had never really explored this far out. Something had always kept her going south to the warmer climates. But this time she felt like seeing what else was out there. So she headed north, setting out with her little broken compass in tow, exploring what else this Helovia had to offer for her. Yet as she explored by her own means, something came along the wind that perked the dappled doe’s interest. Cloven hooves raced across the icy tundra, gripping onto the rocks that peeked through the different parts of the land helped her follow the call that many others had. She could see them from her approach. What appeared to be a moose, a slobbering tearful mess that ached Aelfwine’s heartstrings upon further inspection. Slowing to a stop, she noticed all the others that had gathered, not missing the stallion’s comment before one of the most strangest creatures she had ever seen took her attention briefly.

It was so strange to her, being surrounded by so many creatures. Had they been here all along? All these different types of animals? Had she just been avoiding them? She took note of the colt with wings and a horn, trying their best to soothe the tiny moose. Then her emerald orbs traced the features of a filly that looked more like a creature born between a deer and an equine than she had ever seen. Yet, she admired the little filly in her unique beauty that she found it hard to tear her gaze away. But it was taken easily by a beautiful purple mare for mere moments before moving along to the many other faces. She didn’t get much closer, instead just simply observing for a few moments.

She waited for a few seconds before lifting her heavy antlered head to look upon the crowd of mostly smaller beasts, (granted she wasn’t exactly the tallest mare around, but definitely not the shortest) and offered a kind smile to them all. “Perhaps we should stay vigilant incase his mother returns?” Her voice was soft on the wind, a question for all those around that perhaps if they moved from the area where the calf was lost, that the mother wouldn’t be able to find him in the lost direction. It was an idea, a question on the wind, and she waited patiently to see what perhaps would happen next.

"Talk."
a daisy in the cracks —
amidst a world made of cement.
aelfwine
image | coding

Aelfwine is seeking a Cerndyr with Lamplight ability!
wishlist.
No prior refusals.

Adria Posts: 36
Absent Abyss atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 :: 3 HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Hawk

Ava

Oh good goody grief this was cold! The child had found herself north today, having left her new home to search in that direction. She thought perhaps there would be some reward for travelling up this far north. A spectacular view, an oasis…but no it was nothing but more cold. Wings shuffled, shivering slightly, their barbs puffed up and slightly untucked to wrap around her more. It may be the middle of Tallsun, but this was still slightly too cold for her.

Today in wandering this land she was heading back down from its top heights, having sheltered there during the night she no longer wished to look further. Yet even when being defeated by the elements she was so unused to, she was still ever cheerful and good humored. The world was looking rather lovely today, and the flowers which dotted the grasses were small, but ever so pretty. A few she had paused to pick and tuck in the braids of some of her mane. The air carrying peacefully across them, not playful as normal, slightly subdued, but still light.

This was how she came across the growing gathering below. Her sea eyes stop to see the shapes before her, and her curled ears picked up most curiously. This is the most horses she’d seen together in Helovia since that weird meeting when she first arrived. What in the world was going on?

The girl picked herself up slightly, wings tucking, and thin limbs rolling up into a collected trot. Her curiosity was ever bright and open, ever wandering. In the center of the gathering a small creature, the likes of which she’d never seen sobs, and those around him, mostly youths who spoke of its mother. The pearl’s head tilts slightly. Its mother? Had it lost it?! Her cold was instantly forgotten as her heart began to race. Her curious face becomes worrisome, not a normal look for the girl. “We could all split up to look?” Her own voice found itself, placing itself unrestrained in the fray. Manners and nerves were for normal conversations, and this was a most critical moment. The comb tied in the girl’s hair reminded her that mothers were bitterly missed creatures.

A voice, rumbling and rough cuts. The concerned face of the pearl turns to look at this more seemingly out of place voice. Her head then raises in surprise, he was huge! Looking across to him, he made even her feel small. Not a normal (nor entirely comfortable) feeling for one used to always having the higher head. Yet it wasn’t his size that caused her continued hard stare but his words. What could children do? It shook the girl slightly to hear such an unkind phrase (boy did she have a lot to learn in this world), and her tasseled tail whipped up. Perhaps she wasn’t used it, but her inner core told her clearly how to react. With the impudence of a child herself, and the possible blind brashness of one as well, she responds. “They are plenty capable of helping.” Just look at her, she had no more mind than them and she was at least capable. “The more to help search the better.” And they probably would do so more happily and energetically than he. Was she slightly more of a child, and the situation not so worrisome she might have told him, or at least stuck out her tongue at him.

"their speech goes here and this is the color

Image by Tamme!

Wishlist
Adria is seeking a Leviathan with Bubble Trap ability!
No prior refusals.

Tiamat the Ocean's Light Posts: 360
Aurora Basin Lady atk: 8 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Nimue :: Common Orca Leviathan :: Boil Reli
“Lost! I’m lost!!”

Over the flat, warm tundra, it is not hard to catch the wailing words as they echo, bringing with them a sense of desperation and helplessness. Raising her head from where she had been inspecting some herbs, Tiamat pauses for the shortest moment—dainty ears erect, eyes widening as concern blossoms within her heart—before she sets off in search of whatever poor creature calls so fearfully. The small sprigs that had been plucked from a flower are still clasped carefully between her lips, waving against plush blue skin like the seaweed in her hair, the air of summer pleasantly comfortable this far north.

The ocean mare doesn’t have much to follow in terms of direction; her ears strain to catch what is left of the wails, now diminished to what seems to be a stream of blubbering, choking sobs. White eyes dance continually across the horizon, the heaviness of worry finally easing its hold on her chest once she notices the small gathering. Even from a distance, it is obvious that the little creature has no small amount of help, but Tiamat does not alter her course. She must check on the babe herself, if only to ease her mind. Her kind heart would never allow her to turn away so blindly.

Her pace slows once the distance diminishes, seashells tinkling against her neck as she turns to braid the sprigs into her hair with the others, before approaching the group. None of the other equines are familiar (and had she not been so focused on the babe, Tiamat would have marveled at the strange creature with toes and a solid, muscled tail), but for now, her attention is centered around the not-so-little, wailing newborn.

Some of the other adults suggest searching together, and the blue mare nods her head absently in agreement—of course they aren’t going to leave this sweet little thing alone without finding his mother! Patiently weaving her way closer to the young one in question, she lowers her head to the babe’s level (which isn’t as far down as usual), and smiles warmly. “Don’t worry, little one,” her voice is lilting and soft, a croon, “are you hurt?” As is instinct for her nature, Tiamat appraises the newborn, searching for any signs of injury—her magic ready to mend.

“Speech.”
Seeking a Leviathan with Boil ability!
Wishlist
one refusal & two refusal
like the ocean kissed the sky
image credits
please tag Tia in all replies!
magic & force are permitted.

Aquila Posts: 95
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.2 :: 6 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Craonos :: Common Narwhal Leviathan :: Boil smitty
the language of waves</style>

As the Tallsun (that’s what they called this season, these Helovians) days grew longer, their heat grew more intense. She was finding that the passage of time above the waves was marked with great changes in temperature and weather. Beneath the waves, there were times of warmer water and times of colder currents, but nothing as drastic as this heat. And the Akvian, with her plated skin that could not sweat, spent more and more time in the Falls’ freshwater pools. But the freshwater, unlike saltwater, would swell her skin and bloat her ridges after a time—it led to chafing between her plates and sore tissues. In short, she could not spend all her time in the water.

So when the freshwater’s annoyances grew to be too much, she headed north, towards where the few, rare cool breezes occasionally came from. Her long, striped limbs quickly grew dull; her lustrous colors were particularly sensitive to the lack of salt and so she appeared more pallid than usual. Except for her eyes; those brightly ringed pupils were as vibrant and ferocious as ever.

The mountains brought a mild relief from the heat—though she did not focus on that for long. Instead, her sharp gaze was attracted to a gathering of bodies; some winged, some horned, some neither. Her bladed horn glinted as she rose her proud head and paused her steps to inspect those in the crowd. Warily she watched the wings, though her eyes kept darting to the creature they surrounded—what was it?

It was some strange earth-walking creature. It looked similar to the fleet-footed deer, though this seemed more gangly, and certainly had more substance to its bones. Scaled ears sweep forward, listening to the wailing sobs shake its youthful body. And a surprising pang struck through the warrior’s chest: it was alone, too.

Her gaze swept the horizons, searching mostly the direction from where she had come, looking for any shadows or shapes that might match this little one’s kindred. Though she kept her distance from the gathering.

a q u i l a</style>
image - table

Seeking a Leviathan!
No prior refusals.

Please tag Aquila in all posts.

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

The word lost was playing on repeat in the young moose’s head - a constant loop that tormented him with each syllable.

Lost, lost, lost, lost, lost, lost, lost, LOST!

And then, quite suddenly, he was no longer alone though he was still very much lost lost lost. His mama had warned him about horses - about the strange creatures that populated these lands and were dressed in funny colours or had frightening magic. ‘Always stay away from them’ she had said. But what was he supposed to do when a whole group of them appeared and were offering him help? This didn’t seem to be the situation that she had prepared him for. They were strangers, sure, and they could be dangerous but they were also being nice so it seemed like it would be okay.

First was someone young. The kind voice was enough to keep the moose from jumping right out of his skin at the sight of the colt. At his encouragement the calf tried to follow his example and took some shaky breaths, but the sobs interrupted him and the exhales always ended in a whimper. The young moose nodded feebly to answer the question asked, unable to unstick his throat in order to actually speak in response just yet. Another young one came after - this one reminding the moose more of the smaller deer he sometimes glimpsed in the forests of his home than a horse. This one asked him where he had come from and in between his sobs, he managed to croak out: “The… the forest.”

Next came a mare brighter than all the purple berries this calf had ever seen before and then a small silver and black colt. More join soon after. There was a black mare who offered to share a secret and for a moment, the moose calf sniffed back his tears enough to perk his ears curiously at this proposition. “What is it?”

He shied away from the bay stallion that came in then, offering no help of his own, and the odd creature that came boisterously bounding in a moment later - the calf’s eyes wide. The strange words that tumbled out of the kangaroo hybrid’s voice inspired a fresh bout of tears as the moose simply did not understand what he was asking. He missed the arrival of the two mares who came after that - one antlered and one winged - because he was trying to get through his tears and hear what they were saying over the echo in his head.

Lost.

To be lost meant to be dead and he didn’t want to die.

Shaking his head quickly at the question about whether he was hurt, he looked around at all the faces gathered. Such strange faces they were! He felt no bigger than an ant surrounded by all of them and wished that he was that small so that he might scurry off without anyone noticing! He thought about wolves, how they hunted in packs, and he wondered if horses did the same…

Maybe if he started talking, they wouldn't eat him.

“My… my… mama.” He could barely squeak out her name now, so devastated as he was that he had lost her. That the was surrounded by these weirdos instead! It didn’t seem fair at all and all because of a stupid flower! Sniffing back harshly - to clear his nose so he could speak, the calf tried to remember what he was supposed to do when he was lost. “I think… she said somethin’ about… if I got lost I needed to look for a big ol' rock that, uh, looked like… I think it’s kinda like a goose? But with its neck bent all funny like it's laughin'.” For a moment, his face cleared and he giggled slightly at the memory of the rock but then it creased in concentration as he tried to remember what she had said. There was something else they needed to find after that rock, but that seemed like a good place to start. Maybe one of the faces around him would be able to help! “Do any of you know where I could find it?”

----------

Help the calf find his goose-shaped rock!

You have 72 hours to reply to this round

Aquila Posts: 95
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.2 :: 6 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Craonos :: Common Narwhal Leviathan :: Boil smitty
the language of waves</style>

The little creature was frightened.

And those surrounding it frightened it more, as told by fresh bouts of wails and tears. And, to be truthful, the painful empathy the militant woman felt for the creature was waning in the face of such blubbering. Akvian children may cry, but they did not carry on like this small deer-like calf did.

Perhaps it was alone for a reason.

Her thoughts were not malicious, they were simply logical. Were this calf a solider, causing as much trouble and ruckus despite so many offers for help, then the soldier would be left behind. They would be costing more resources than potential kills or protection. But this was not a soldier. This was a child.

A loud, harsh snort pushed past her nostrils as she continued to eye those with wings. And, suddenly, her more observant, second glance at those gathered suddenly found Kahelo. “—look for a big ‘ol rock…” the calf was speaking again, its young voice riddled with nasally tears, “…like a goose.”

She blinked once. It was the first time she had blinked since leaving the Falls. A goose shaped rock? Her head swiveled towards Kahelo, then towards the many pegasus present. Part of her wanted to go alongside her grey ward, but she did not. The last time she had been alongside him, they both had shattered their bones, resulting in painful headaches.

So, instead, the seahorse contemplated leaving. There plenty here to aid the small creature—but that was giving up on an assignment. And she had never done so. The first time she had failed a task was when she had come to Helovia…

Shaking her ridged face and flicking her barbed tail, she focused on the calf once again. At least looking for this strange rock would provide some distraction from the sun’s heat. “Is it eastward or westward?” Her throaty voice called strongly from her short distance away from the grouping. Then, realizing that the calf likely didn’t know such things, she continued, “Towards where the sun rises? Or away from it?” Her unblinking, large eyes glanced at the overly zealous fireball in the sky that was the source of all this heat.

a q u i l a</style>
image - table

Seeking a Leviathan!
No prior refusals.

Please tag Aquila in all posts.

Sielu Posts: 47
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 5 years :: Orangemoon
Angel

Deep down, my lax gut constricts like a tightened noose – those words slip over me with the sting of a lash; they make me flinch with sympathy and pity in the wake of his callus reply. The smog of grief appears, mushrooming until I’m consumed. Weighted, my head sinks, the cords in my neck tighten while these ears flatten into their shell. Frowning, I graze over that unbidden memory of a beloved parent I’d spent the majority of this life looking for. Stormy optics rise from the group, following Banjo’s retreat with pained sadness. He didn’t know…couldn’t know. In my distraction, that previous connection snaps like a brittle twig. I’d looked away by the time he's settled, already pulled my attention  while straightening those anguished lines.

The best facade of neutrality, is silence itself.

Perhaps over time, I would come to expect that my companion intends to speak his mind openly; regardless of the situation or who might be involved. But his two cents on this particular matter is as honest, as it is cruel.

Regardless...I find the distraction of further arrivals a welcome thing; their following host now includes another child, barely on the cusp of being weaned and a mare closely followed by an older stallion. Out of those that came, it was the unadorned male who drew my eye. A silver strand begins to reach, warmly, tentatively finding his mind amid the horde. I’d almost reached him…but then he shouldered his way to the center, without so much as a glance to me (or anyone else.) Surprised...the link fades without ever sealing a bond; he leaves me to assume...mulling over my wounded pride while heat floods these lavender cheeks.

Breathing out, avoiding his gaze (and others); a cool line of silent indifference becomes the perfect mask to chill my resolve.

The bite of being so easily forgettable is more grave an insult than being blunt.

Am I forgotten by everyone like that?

Meanwhile, the calf whimpers on -- bleating nervously. Masses continue to nudge in, their bodies are warm, sweaty in some instances. I feel those little knots in my throat grow larger. My hindquarters begin to tremble. Cautiously, these limbs shuffle a step in reverse to distance myself from the group. Sadly, out of those who gather, not a single parent arrives to claim even one from this collection of youth. The infant speaks; his squeaky voice is clear despite wavering in the wake of fresh tears. I draw a blank in regards to the landmark said babe describes. But there would be others who'd have a better idea of where such a thing was. Maybe I could help in another way, someone would need to stay behind, help the little ones. More silver strands form to accommodate the surplus of individuals, my magic aims to correct links within the group. It's to those hive of minds that my quiet voice rises from within, “I don’t mind staying with him -- if others want to go look,” dual pools sink to the bull calf. I sever all other links except his, “If that is alright with you?” Tender warmth trails into the bond, sharing my placid nature and quiet strength. In that same instance, I attempt to give him the only gift in my possession – memories…of having enough, of being content. Of being loved. Perhaps it would comfort and strengthen him. Just as it did me.

OCC: Sielu can only speak with her mind. Not out loud!

No rejections
Seeking a Kitsune

Aelfwine Posts: 101
Dragon's Throat Warrior atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Vanya :: Common Cerndyr :: Lamplight Skylark
Something in you is yearning,
for where all the wild things went,
Aelfwine didn’t miss the opportunity to let her emerald gaze trail across those gathered. All those willing to join in and help a little moose calf search for his mother. It warmed her heart and she felt the shyness of a smile begin to ghost across her ashen lips. But when the calf began to squeak out the words “mama” the mare could relate. Immediately looking down to her chest, she pressed her velveteen muzzle against the compass that sat there – a gift from her own mother in times like this. When she was lost and couldn’t get back home. Perhaps this “goose” the calf spoke of was like his own compass. And so she immediately lifted her heavy racked head, using the height she was gifted to glance around the steppe they had found themselves in.

Cloven hooves crunched the grasses beneath them as she weaved her way a bit closer to the scaled mare. Her eyes lingered on the calf as she questioned him east or west. And with this, her ears flickered with each sound. When she finally heard another soft voice, but it had no change in distance or pitch – it was as if they were right there speaking to her personally. How strange! Aelfwine swiveled her head to search for the owner of the voice before she had a spark of a thought. Furrowing her brows slightly, she remembered seeing weird shapes near the entrances to some of the caves around here while she had been exploring. So of course she would announce it. She let her gaze drift along all those gathered and with a small smile on her lips she cleared her throat.

I think I remember seeing weird shapes near the cave entrances?” She spoke softly. The doe was probably wrong in the idea that there would be a goose statue there, but she had seen the various different statues that were covered by grasses and dirt. She didn’t refrain from waiting to see the reaction from everyone – but she did wait to see where the calf had lost it. If he said which way it was, it would be easier to look at those specific caves instead of spending all day searching each one individually. And my, how exhausting that would be!

"Talk."
a daisy in the cracks —
amidst a world made of cement.
aelfwine
image | coding

Aelfwine is seeking a Cerndyr with Lamplight ability!
wishlist.
No prior refusals.

Tiamat the Ocean's Light Posts: 360
Aurora Basin Lady atk: 8 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Nimue :: Common Orca Leviathan :: Boil Reli
Through the warm billows of her concern, the ocean mare is able to take a short moment to appreciate those who have gathered alongside the sobbing babe. She had arrived too late to hear anything condescending that anyone might have spewed (and she would never dream of such words being spilled at a time like this), and so sheltered in the light and generosity of her young heart, Tiamat cannot help the grin that tickles her lips. To have so many willing to help a desperate child, it is inspiring! Not unlike the clockwork of a herd, she feels like a piece of something bigger—a fragment of the puzzle that will lead them to the calf’s mother.

Her smile widens warmly when he shakes his head in answer to her question, and she is relieved to find that her own quiet inspection finds him visibly in good condition. Tiamat cannot say how long this poor child has been on his own, but judging by his healthy weight and shining coat (along with a generous share of optimism), the blue mare would venture to guess that he hasn’t been on his own for too long.

Dainty ears twist forward when the newborn calf speaks, and her head lowers slightly in attention. His words are intermingled with a steady stream of whimpers and gulps, but she is able to understand what he describes to them—a large, strange, goose-shaped rock that his mother had told him to find. Absentmindedly praising this parenting tool for a quandary such as this, the ocean mare glances questioningly to others gathered around them. Someone (Aquila! She remembers with a smile) asks after the rock’s general direction, while another offers to stay with the little one (and her brows furrows momentarily when the source of the voice is seemingly unidentifiable).

Thus far, Tiamat cannot say that she has ever seen a goose-shaped rock—and she has journeyed the Steppe more than a few times on her travels to and from home. However, when an antlered mare speaks of seeing peculiar shapes at the entrance, it clicks something in the blue mare’s mind. “Close to the Frozen Arch, perhaps? It is a magnificent place; there’s bound to be other structures around that area,” white eyes trail from Aquila and the antlered mare down to the babe, wondering if anything has sparked more memory in his mind. “It’s westward, south of here, I believe,” she glances to the sea-scaled mare, lion tail curling softly behind her.

The only time that the Time Mender has been to the Arch had been during a fierce snowstorm—if there had been a goose-shaped rock in that area, she would have easily missed it. Hoping that her words would offer any sort of help, she presses her plush muzzle gently against the babe’s shoulder, exhaling a warm and slow breath. “We’ll get you to your mother, little one,” she assures with a comforting grin, confident in her guarantee.

“Speech.”
Seeking a Leviathan with Boil ability!
Wishlist
one refusal & two refusal
like the ocean kissed the sky
image credits
please tag Tia in all replies!
magic & force are permitted.

Romina Posts: 33
Outcast
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.2hh :: 9 Months
Brit

So many surround the poor creature so suddenly that Romina staggers away, horns catching fire as her nerves thrum like pluck strings. Why was everyone so suddenly drawn here, so close to her home and family? She has nobody at her side, and she feels bare and defenseless without her brother there to protect her with the might of his body and ferocity of his appearance. For a moment she curses his name and his slowness, wishing he had tracked her down faster, feeling his absence like a gaping wound in her chest. The banshee sways a little further away, but stubbornly remains where she is, and is rewarded by the crying creature muttering in response to her. She smiles beatifically, trying to encourage the poor overwhelmed thing. If Romina was feeling this strung out, she couldn't imagine how he felt, being the focus of all these people instead of simply part of the crowd.

"That's good, that means she's probably somewhere south," Romina compliments him for his efforts, trying to encourage the little one (as if she has any room to call someone little, but she doubts she has ever been so distressed when she has wandered too far into strange lands).

Of course some asshole has to mention their age, and her horns flame ever higher with colorful, opalescent flame as her face twists into something hideous and hateful. She strides towards him fearlessly, both for the sake of confrontation and to hide her negativity from the poor creature. When she speaks it's a low hiss, meant only for the brute's ears. Romina would not distress the moose any further with her irritation. "At least we're helping instead of standing around and complaining," she spat. "Whole lot of good you're doing, adult," and surely nobody will look upon her fondly for such an intense reaction, but Romina is not one to be looked down upon. She is royalty, and the world has already cursed her enough. Nobody will drag her down any further than fate has.

A pale blue maiden comes to their aid, and her horns extinguish themselves as she smiles shyly at her, moving towards her side. "Thank you," she murmured, wondering if befriending the older girl would allow her to further manipulate her into a protective, defensive, beneficial relationship. But first she must focus on this task and control her emotions, lest she explode into useless flames all over again.

The moose child giggles and recaptures the foal's attention, and she tunes back in to hear a clue. A giggling goose rock? How peculiar. But Tiamat - whom she recognizes from the Basin - seems to have the same idea she and another youth hold. Skipping over to Tiamat fearlessly she smiles at the calf. "Yeah! And the Arch is farther south, so maybe your mother will be near there too, since you said you're from a forest." Casting her pretty orange eyes at Tiamat - clearly ready to team up with she and Aelfwine, if there were to be teams at all - she flicked her long tail and prepared herself for the trek. Until a voice echoes in her head and she turns to find a feminine face looking between them, and she somehow knows it's her. An astounding magic, and she tilts her head towards the woman. "That'd be good if he doesn't want to travel with us as we look. What do you think?" Romina turned towards the moose for his opinion, whether he'd like to remain with Sielu while they searched, or if he would pick a direction and go along with them.

Image Credit

Romina is seeking a Kitsune
Wishlist
No prior refusals

Mentions a TON of people: @Kitty @Adria @Tiamat @Sielu

Banjo Posts: 37
Absent Abyss atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.0
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: 4 HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Riven

Half his luck.

The little tike burst into tears, though whether or not it was Banjo’s decisive course of action (insisting as it were, that a solid feed was in order), or the general elimination of personal space and tranquility, he wasn’t exactly sure. Nevertheless, it was not the reaction - like usual, that the bronze-pelted buck had perceived. It was about time he stopped caring about the moody, over-sensitive creatures swanning about the land called Helovia. He wanted to be sympathetic, wanted to show his compassion - but what was the point.

Around about the same moment that the waterworks increased, the smoky chick he’d found novelty in following of the peaks, stepped back also. Banjo didn’t slide sideways to stand nearer though, such manoeuvring just wasn’t possible with his kind off anatomy - and heaven forbid he might offend someone else in the process… It was hard to be yourself when the population refused to accept you (unless you were a crying deer with a deformed nose and all the wrong antler - what made his oddities so acceptable).

The crowd only gathered further as time ambled on. Every man and his dog blew in and Banjo thought to give them all a wide berth, skipping clear of the eggshells all scattered around the floorspace. It sure would've been easier to abandon ship. But Helovia was a massive place and there wasn’t a hope in hell of tracking Sielu down again, if ever he was to lose her.

A strange looking stripy thing that looked like it’d fallen fresh off an ocean reef began to speak and his nose twitched with interest. She was querying the calf’s own question - the one about the weird, goose-shaped rock. After ‘Seahorse’, everyone threw in their two-bob about where the squirt’s folks were hiding and Banjo’s eyes glazed and began to drift between the chaos of colours, faces and personalities - each still more intent to help than the next. As over-sized ears drank in the chorus of suggestions, the buck noticed Vu (Chaska’s bird), but bit his tongue before calling out this time. Instead he sighed and shrank back across his haunches, blending into the group.

One of the first on scene (presumably, she’d been there before Banjo and Sielu arrived anyway), turned to acknowledge his backpacking buddy - the first it seemed, who realised that that voice of reason in their head wasn’t actually their conscience. He smiled quietly, glancing from mare to child, but soon found himself back on track - finding the smallest’s mummy, so they could get on with their business; which wasn’t very much at all actually besides passing the breeze.

“I would offer you a ride in the ol… old pouch, little one… if you felt too tired to walk. Its warm...” he stopped, there wouldn't be one among them who should understand. Slowly, he leant back to reveal the furry slit across his belly. Naturally he expected about as much backlash as that first time he’d spoken (perhaps he'd dissolve right into a puddle now?) - though this time, he made a rather remarkable effort to sound exactly like the rest of the entourage. Was that unimposing enough?

Seeking a Boggart
No prior refusals
Plots | The Unbound | Absences
I run just like this!
Please tag me in openers and spars.
Feel free to flog n magic me, mild power play is also fine.
Text in the profile and posts reflects stereotypical ocker slang - don’t knock it mate!

Milo Posts: 60
Outcast
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 2 years [Birdsong]
Jen

I hear my own heart's name, Kahelo, the moment that I see the monstrous mare that has become my only friend. Her eyes settling on me are a comfort, just as her teeth had been. Perhaps that is why it is particularly shocking when she looks away as if I were not even there.

My gut churns and without even realizing, I try to speak for the first time in seasons. But perhaps for lack of use the word of her name does not come, and my lips only emit a cracked silence. I close my mouth and turn back to the earth, trying to hide the shame of even attempting to break my vow. And for what, to call out to a mare who has chosen not to see me? How would that change things?

I focus instead on the task at hand, trying to keep track of the perma-buzz of advice and ideas being tossed around. At a certain point it becomes too much, and just as I start to feel a headache begin to burn my temples I begin to move, in the direction that the blue mare suggests. If Southwest is home to strange structures, then surely it could host something that looks like a goose... whatever that is.

I cast one look back at Aquila before picking up my heavy feet and trudging away, only neighing quietly to perhaps indicate that others should follow. After all, there is no good in standing around, and safety travels in numbers, even if they're fickle friends indeed.

""

MILO

I was forgotten, waiting to be found
image credits

No priors.
Seeking a hellhound.

Starts to move towards the frozen arch, calls for others to follow. Mentions @Aquila and also vaguely @Tiamat.