the Rift

[DROP] Lost Soul [common NSS]

Kitty Posts: 10
Up For Adoption atk: 5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.0
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.3 hh :: 7 HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Adoptable
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Kitty does not have time to be offended by the rude comments of some deer filly, but apparently everyone and their brother has the time to consider him lazy for not acting. Could this crowd not give a stallion, particularly one as magnificent as he, a moment to breathe?

Kitty snorts harshly at the display of rushed, almost panic-like need to find a rock. It isn't that the blood-eyed beast is unfamiliar with the shape of a goose (no, he is intimately familiar with birds of all sorts,) but it seems silly to him to look for something as useless as a rock when perhaps a living, breathing moose mother might be easier to find. After all, what can a rock tell you? Certainly there would be nothing they could learn from the silence of stone. Being as you are, you are immediately inclined to agree with his logic, even if it is apparently not reached by anyone else in the crowd. Perhaps they just aren't as smart as your Kitty.

"You know, birds rarely laugh," he intones with a smooth and biting voice. He does not acknowledge the one that choose to insult him, for she seems to be still and useless herself. "Perhaps it might be easier to retrace your steps. The ground should still be wet enough from the last snow's melting, and your tracks would be easier to trace than the advice of a boulder in the distance," Kitty suggested with a nonchalant look cast at those around him.

Neither of you would ever admit that perhaps he was wrong, and simply being stubborn for the sake of it. To be fair to his poor choices, who wanted to stand around and get insulted by children?

""
Kitty
Image credit to Mister Wind-Up Bird at flickr.com

Seeking a Boggart.
No priors.

Kitty says "Rocks are dumb let's retrace your tracks" and ignores everyone harshing on him for harshing on them bc ain't nobody got time for that.

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

“Uhh….” The first of many questions directed at him came from a strange, striped mare standing a little ways away from the crowd directly around him. “Away, I think.” Others chimed in with ideas and the calf learned that ‘away from the sun’ meant that it was west. The one who spoke into his mind offered to stay with him while the others look but this caused another rise of panic in him. While he may later come to appreciate this kindness from the purple mare (much later, when he is calm and safe) for the moment it just made him more uncertain. How would they know what his mother looked like??

The antlered, grey mare offered some suggestion on where the rock might be and it is discussed by some of the others as well.

More comfort came from a blue mare (how odd these colours were!) as she reassured him with a touch to the shoulder and from the fawn-foal as she questioned what he wanted to do. “Let’s all go.” He answered the questions, both inside and outside of his mind. He felt stronger for the memories that she shared with him into his mind and they made him more determined not to stand still - he needed to find his mom and feel that love first-hand once more. Although he did not know his directions, the idea of caves and rocks and arches seemed to fit the idea that he had in his head.

“I’m okay… thank you.” He appreciated the offer from the pouched, strange stallion but he did not think he was quite small enough to comfortably fit into the offered pouch. Still, he gave the creature a smile, watery as it was through the ever-present tears. If he was going to be lost, he was glad that he was lost among kind animals. He was getting over his initial fear of them, an effect caused by the collective ease with which they were treating him - foal and adult alike. One of them, suggested retracing his steps. “But I’ve been wandering forever!” Came the despairing answer to that idea. Forever indeed! Anything longer than a few minutes felt like forever to the young calf.

At the initiative of one of the foals, the group began to move - or, theoretically at least. The calf decided to follow the colt, anyway, hoping that the rest would come along.

Over the Steppe he travelled, comforted by the presence of the horses (if they came along) and the little pieces of help that most of them had offered him. Before too long, they arrived at the strange stone structures and with some careful searching, a rough goose-shaped stone was found.

And there was a moose near the goose!!

Only, it had a set of antlers on its head. “That’s not my mama.” The little moose wailed as his knobby knees trembled in fear.

It was a bull, full grown at two metres (6.6 feet) at the shoulder, and it was angry. It snorted at the sight of the motley group of creatures, pawing at the ground and brandishing its antlers as it released a low, loud guttural call as a challenge to the group. Clearly, it did not appreciate being disturbed.  

----------

Shakrokh, Vu, and Adria are disqualified for not responding in time.

The goose-statue is found near the Arch! Near it, a wild male moose appears and acts threateningly toward the group.

You have 72 hours to reply to this round

Tiamat the Ocean's Light Posts: 360
Aurora Basin Lady atk: 8 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Nimue :: Common Orca Leviathan :: Boil Reli
Her warm breath flutters across the calf’s shoulder, the downy fur rippling softly, filling her nostrils with a familiar milky scent that she has found on other babes. One such child is suddenly bouncing over to her from the group—a girl she recognizes from the Basin, though the ocean mare doesn’t know her by name. Memories from the most recent herd meeting place the fawn-like foal near her Lady’s side, defining the girl as a princess of the north (Tiamat assumes); had she known the child to be a daughter of her dear friend as well, she would have doted over the filly more affectionately (not unlike that aunt who knows no boundaries).

Even so, Tiamat is thrilled to have the girl’s help. Her smile widens to brighten white eyes, and she extends her muzzle in a friendly gesture towards the young girl. “Yes; the more eyes we have working together, the better, right?” She casts a sideways grin to the fawn and the calf. Much to her delight, he seems to be calming down somewhat; while tears still wet his cheeks, his little body has quieted from the sobs that had wracked him before. It is important that he feels safe. Everyone gathered is here for him—to help him.

Flicking her ears at an unfamiliar voice, the ocean mare looks up to find that it is the strange equine-ish creature speaking. He offers the strayed babe a ride in his—pouch? Tiamat can’t help but to tilt her head to the side, staring curiously at the man; only when he leans back does she understand. A pouch, like a kangaroo! She understands now, and while the whole notion is still strange, it is undoubtedly a very generous offer. The blue mare smiles, chuckling amusedly at the calf’s exclamation of forever, before following him and the others towards the Arch.

Tiamat remains by the babe’s side throughout their journey. Before too long, they arrive at the stunning structure of the Frozen Arch, where their search begins for the goose-shaped rock. “There!” The blue mare gasps happily, smiling widely at the young boy and anyone else who has accompanied them. Heading towards their destination, excitement swells in her breast at the site of a moose; but her elation is short lived.

“That’s not my mama.”

Her brow knits together in confusion, a short glance cast to the calf before she looks to the distant moose again. Not knowing much about the large mammals, it takes a moment for Tiamat to identify the moose as a male (there are female unicorns with antlers, after all)—and not only that, but he’s huge! Easily one of the largest animals she’s ever seen. At the bull’s powerful, gruff call, the ocean mare jumps a little, having not expected for them to be greeted so—angrily. “Stay close to me, child,” she instructs the calf softly, guiding him just behind her shoulder (along with any of the other children that might stand close to her). Tiamat tries to disguise her own fear, though her lion tail twitches uneasily behind her.

“Speech.”
Seeking a Leviathan with Boil ability!
Wishlist
one refusal & two refusal
like the ocean kissed the sky
image credits
please tag Tia in all replies!
magic & force are permitted.

Milo Posts: 60
Outcast
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 2 years [Birdsong]
Jen

I don't move quickly because that's never been something I've done. Maybe once, in days I no longer recall, but the time before my injuries is a time I'm happy to consider my never-days. If I was not loved enough to be watched, to be protected, did I matter enough in this world to consider myself a part of it?

Then again, perhaps even now I am inconsequential by that logic. By the time we have made it to the rock shaped like a goose I have looked at Aquila seventeen times. I have counted the number, and the seconds spent lingering. Does she care about me? She must, for she's the only one to speak my name--even if she doesn't know it, even if she's had to give me a new one. But isn't that a way of caring? Naming?

Unable to sort through my thoughts, I try to focus instead on the young calf who walks in our group. When the rock appears in the distance I slow my pace further, necessarily cautious. It's easy enough to hear the moose up ahead, the same moose others can see. But I've fallen behind, begun to lag at the end of whatever pack this is, and so I'm forced to try and push through the crowd when others stall.

Perhaps I'm too tired of this world to be scared, and perhaps this is why I proceed with little regard for my own welfare. Whatever the reason, I let loose a call louder than any other I have before. No words, no, never words, but some bloody cry to stay back.

Mothers don't come back, and fathers don't love. Of these things, I am certain. But children should not have to suffer.

""

MILO

I was forgotten, waiting to be found
image credits

No priors.
Seeking a hellhound.

Milo stares at Aquila and lags behind until they get there, at which point he yells at the moose angrily and in defense of the calf.

Kitty Posts: 10
Up For Adoption atk: 5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.0
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.3 hh :: 7 HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Adoptable
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Reluctant as ever, Kitty is forced to follow the crowd and you, in turn, must follow him. The procession is slow and disappointing as it moves through territory that is new enough to need strangers’ help navigating but old enough to be boring to look at. Here there are no new bumps and bruises in the land for Kitty to inspect and admire, and as a result you cannot admire him observing. It’s disappointing, because there are few things you love more than looking deeply into his eyes as he looks deeply at something entirely unrelated to your inconsequential and unworthy being.

Moving like this, in a pack that neither of you belong in, feels like one long drawn out disappointment. Eventually you reach your destination, and it’s a crime to see that all others have been proven right, and that Kitty’s suggestion (shot down by yet another child, even if the one of honor) truly would have been a fool’s errand. It is no good to be proven wrong, particularly when you are better than all those around you. To be so obviously ashamed like this is not what Kitty deserves.

But you cannot jump to his defense, just as you cannot throw yourself on a sword between his disgruntled and silent figure and the danger that presents itself. The moose is large and its call suggests a certain sort of aggressiveness that is neither easily tamed nor worth trying to soothe. Having no talents of your own, you can only watch to see what he’ll do.

And what he does is, well, not much at all. He does not care to protect the children who insult him or fight against the wild beast, particularly not after being so humiliated in his last spar. He rolls his eyes at the foolish actions of the grey colt, but does nothing to stop the child from putting himself in danger’s path. Considering that he’s too good to be scratched, he opts instead for the non-confrontational option, and speaks in a tone so beautifully commanding that you swoon: “Everyone turn around now.”

""
Kitty
Image credit to Mister Wind-Up Bird at flickr.com

Seeking a Boggart.
No priors.

Kitty grumpily follows and when they get there tells everyone to turn around now! Dorp.

Aelfwine Posts: 101
Dragon's Throat Warrior atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Vanya :: Common Cerndyr :: Lamplight Skylark
Something in you is yearning,
for where all the wild things went,
Of course Aelfwine was pleased to see the blue mare agree with her. Putting more of a name to it than the tree marked mare knew. She had yet to learn these Helovian names for their structures, and so she nodded along with the oceanic mare. Then, the fawn-like child agreed with the blue mare, bounding herself over to the pair. She suggested a few more things, but Aelfwine’s emerald eyes lingered on the calf for his response. And just like that, the dappled colt began to move in what the doe thought was the direction toward this ‘Frozen Arch’. Picking up her cloven hooves across the earth, she treaded toward him offering him a small smile.

They all began to move, Aelfwine stuck herself close to the calf. They traveled and before long they reached the goose shaped statue. Her emerald eyes flicked over the strange looking boulder before hearing the calf cry out, explaining at the creature that stood near the statue wasn’t his mother. Her eyes immediately flickered to the beast as he challenged the group – the sound was sharp through the air and clearly Aelfwine knew there might be a fight. The dappled doe situated herself, nodding to Tiamat as she spoke to the child. Then, without any hesitance, she disobeyed Milo’s call of everyone to stay back and inside moved quickly on her cloven hooves to move up beside the colt. Just as she did so the large stallion without horns or wings speaks up in a voice commanding presence and yet calm all the same. Shaking her head, she let her eyes dart to the man for a moment.

If this rock is what we need to find the calf’s mother, I will fight for it.” Her tones were gentle but strong – and despite being much smaller than the bull that was challenging them, she at least had horns (antlers to match). She would definitely try, and in her foolishness hope not to die in the process. Moving up alongside Milo, she glanced to him with a small smile – supporting the colt the best she could. Then, attention on the bull in its entirety, she lowered her head with the sharp tines of her antlers poised and ready for an attack.

"Talk."
a daisy in the cracks —
amidst a world made of cement.
aelfwine
image | coding

Aelfwine is seeking a Cerndyr with Lamplight ability!
wishlist.
No prior refusals.

She basically decides "nope" again to Kitty's idea and moves up alongside Milo, lowering her head so her antlers are her defense in case the bull attacks!

Romina Posts: 33
Outcast
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.2hh :: 9 Months
Brit

The calf seems to brighten with the prospect of hope and deliverance, and Romina smiles broadly because she revels in being right and in having picked the right side. It's like a game of chess, and while she's not even worthy of a novice title, she's learning the pleasure of a well-placed move. Tiamat's further approval only stokes the fire in her breast, and as the calf makes its decision to move as a group, the filly bounds between Tiamat and Aelfwine on limber, powerful legs. She knows this cold wasteland better than any other, with how often she has escaped from the Basin, and youth supplies her with more than enough energy to keep up with the adults and their longer limbs.

And sure enough, they were correct, and the odd-shaped boulder is exactly where they had suspected it would be. Unfortunately it is not alone, and by the whimpering statement of the calf, certainly not the creature they were looking for. A wordless, angered cry leaves the silent shadow of a boy that had lagged behind. The coward Romina already despised spoke up, telling them to leave, and Aelfwine's hard reply preceded Romina's own snappish response.

"There is one of them and many of us," she snorted, pawing at the earth with her tri-toed hoof. "There is no need to run when we have the advantage." Another word she'd learned from her mother's mouth, far more useful than any milk or fairytale. Stories of war and conquered kingdoms, planned attacks and underhanded ways of earning an alliance. They may not be her words, but her spirit and determination filled the borrowed phrase sincerely. She let her emotions run wild and her antlers burst into colorful flame as she slammed her forehooves to the ground and shunted her head forward in a line of defense beside Aelfwine. She was nothing but a child, but war was in her blood, and she wouldn't run away with her tail tucked between her legs when she'd given her (quite valuable) word to the calf to help him find his mother.

Image Credit

Romina is seeking a Kitsune
Wishlist
No prior refusals

Aquila Posts: 95
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.2 :: 6 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Craonos :: Common Narwhal Leviathan :: Boil smitty
the language of waves</style>

They all move, as a wayward group of barely milling chaos, towards an arch. And, just as the other woman of the sea mentioned. But this woman was not of sea as Aquila was of the sea, she was not Akvian and, despite no fault of her own, the militant mare held it against her. (Truthfully, it was largely because the woman’s aquatic appearance reminded her so strongly of the people she had lost).

She had followed at a distance, eyes sweeping for other oddly shaped deer that might belong to this lost youth. Her bladed horn slices through the air as unblinking, yellow and blue irises scour the horizon. And she had felt Kahelo’s eyes glance to her numerous times, returning a stare once or twice. On the last glance, the militant woman finally stared at him, head dipping once in some kind of affirmation: Yes, I see you and I am here. But then here eyes swept to the goose statue.

And the giant, bellowing bull that stands at the arch. Its bellow is not friendly, and the terrified words of the infant enforce that deduction. The mare shifted, immediately morphing from vigilant searcher to warrior. Her ridges raise, her face-fins flare, her tail barbs rattle. Long, lithe legs walk forward, cutting in front of some to reach the bull and stand before.

Her head lowers, her aquamarine and bladed horn glinting in the mountain’s intense sunlight. She may not be adept at finding lost children’s parents. But she could defend them. A deep, throaty, warning growl ripped from her throat as she returned the bull’s warning in kind.

Though, uncharacteristically, her unblinking gaze leaves the threatening bull to glance at Kahelo. To make sure she knew where he was—just in case she needed to protect him, as well.

a q u i l a</style>
image - table

Seeking a Leviathan!
No prior refusals.

Please tag Aquila in all posts.

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

The calf sunk into Tiamat’s side, whimpering in fear of the impending threat. All he wanted was to just go home, to be with his family again! He did not want to die here. His wide, black eyes flash around to the faces of the strange horses around him. One of the young ones was the first to step forward - bellowing out a challenge to the bull and the sound, even from another youth, inspired courage in the calf. Not a lot of courage mind you - certainly not enough to stand up himself - but some.

In response the bull snorts and stops a massive hoof. He did not expect resistance. Only one didn’t stand up to him - Kitty encouraging them all to run. No one did. Aelfwine rooted her hooves and lowered her head in preparation for an attack and Romina’s antlers flared in bright flame as she took a stance beside the older antlered mare. Even Aquila stopped lingering and took an active stance between the calf and the bull, answering the bellow with a throaty warning of her own.

Even without Kitty’s aid, the bull moose continued to snort in frustration - finding the calf readily protected by the strange horses. This would not be an easy fight to win. Another call, from further off, further spooked him and he evacuates the area with a disgruntled noise. For a moment, the calf was the only moose in the area and then she arrives.

“Mama!!” The calf squeals with delight as his mother approached, the moose cow moving at full speed. Though there were no antlers on her head, a dangerous look was in her eye as she scanned the crowd - trying to determine the condition of her son. Although slightly smaller than the bull that just evacuated the area, this moose was still formidable. Angry breaths came harshly through her nose as she came to a stop before the group just as the calf wiggled his way past his defenders and threw himself at her.

After a quick reunion, her son still pressed against her side, the mother moose raised her head to address the group with warm eyes. Normally she detested the equine species but, for now, they are on her good side.

“I thank you all for aiding my son, for defending him.”

There weren’t enough eggs to share with the entire group so the cow focused her attention on the blue mare who had been closest to her son. Tiamat. “For you, a gift.” She motioned for the mare to come and the moose pair move toward the funny-shaped rock and she carefully digs at a nest of leaves and grasses at its base to reveal a shimmering, pale-blue egg with white speckles. “Care for this creature as you did for him.”

----------

CONGRATULATIONS TO TIAMAT!
Please post in records updates once the companion has hatched!
list & randomized

Sielu and Banjo were disqualified for not posting in time and may not use this as a refusal for future drops

Tiamat the Ocean's Light Posts: 360
Aurora Basin Lady atk: 8 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Nimue :: Common Orca Leviathan :: Boil Reli
While some others of their little crowd step forward to bellow their own calls of warning, the ocean mare stays close to the babe. Her eyes are wide as she watches them, the whiskers of her muzzle flickering over the calf’s downy forehead with slow, baited breaths—the milliseconds dragging by as she waits, waiting for the hostility to either unfold or diminish. As the seconds tick, there is a battle in her heart. While Tiamat feels so honored and proud to be among those willing to protect a lost child, there is a part of her (foolishness, naivety, perhaps?) that screams a halt at any such violence.

(Surely there must be another way!)

In her own little world, aggression and hate are never, ever the answer—they are only sad, amendable barriers in a snare of misunderstanding. So in this moment, her mind is torn between reaching out to the angered bull, and remaining huddled within their group, curled around the young boy. Fortunately, by some act of good grace, the tension dissolves just before it reaches its breaking point—disappearing almost as quickly as it had clutched at them.

The blue mare sighs audibly when the large bull leaves them without physical dispute, muscles relaxing as she presses into the boy’s shoulder, her mind having been too wrapped up in the strain of hostility to notice the other moose call. His squeal of delight is what alerts her to the female that approaches them—igniting a smile to spread wide across her lips in honest, beautiful triumph. Round, glittering eyes are cast to those that stand around her, wishing to share in the joy of this moment (because, undoubtedly, they could not have accomplished such a feat without one another).

Arcing her long tail happily behind her, Tiamat watches the reunion of mother and son, warmth blooming from her chest and spreading throughout each part of her body. She doesn’t expect to receive anything in return—being a part of this wonderful moment has been an honor enough—so when the mother moose offers her a gift, she momentarily hesitates. Her first reaction is to politely decline (she doesn’t want to take anything from them), but knowing that giving a gift can be just as rewarding as receiving one (if not more so), the ocean mare accepts the offer graciously.

Following the newborn babe and his mother, they tread towards the peculiar goose-shaped rock, where the mother moose begins to dig carefully at the base. Curious, Tiamat peers at the little roost of leaves and grasses, speculating what the moose has in mind for her. When the glittering egg is revealed, Tiamat gasps. “Is that…?” She whispers, her voice saturated with wonder and reverence, barely sighing through the tightness of her throat.

“Care for this creature as you did for him.”

Tiamat manages to tear her gaze away from the egg, looking to the moose with tears glistening in her eyes. “Thank you,” the words are quiet and trembling from the emotion that wells in her heart, a tender smile softening her lips before she brushes the egg’s polished surface, “I will.” A companion egg. Her companion. The ocean mare can hardly believe her good fortune, offering gratitude to all the graces that have looked upon her today. Stroking the egg with all the affection and warmth of a mother, she closes her eyes, a tear of elation trickling out onto her cheek.

“I will.”

notes; AH OMG :'D thank you!!! <3333
“Speech.”
like the ocean kissed the sky
image credits
please tag Tia in all replies!
magic & force are permitted.