the Rift

[PRIVATE] Heal Ye, Heal Ye!

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen
The Clovenheart

The walk to the blood falls had been brief, but still longer than Ashamin had wanted. He wasn't entirely comfortable forcing one so injured to travel any distance, but this stranger's request for water couldn't be ignored either. After a journey so long, and one spent focused on a bleeding wing, it was very likely that the newcomer was dehydrated. The Clovenheart recalled his own walks with injuries, and found that the memories were hazy at best. There was little to think of but pain.

Lochan and Rakt were sent off in search of the two Unbound stags immediately, and given commands to bring them both back to Ashamin. Well, to at least bring back who they could find. Ashamin wasn't sure if Seanan and Chaska were still as close as he thought, so he was thankful that his companions were swift and attentive.

When the treeline parted and revealed the blood falls, the Clovenheart breathed a sigh of relief to be done. He too felt tired, as if merely sharing in the anxiety of this stallion's wound had caused him hurt. The painted buck had, from time to time, found himself soothing the own beating of his own heart on their journey.

"Welcome to the Blood Falls," Ashamin said as he turned back to look at the stranger. He knew that it was unlikely he'd learn the pegasus' name by asking, so he only hoped that eventually it would be offered. "Don't be alarmed by the color, I assure you the water is safe to drink. The stones beneath lend it this shade," he went on, speaking softly and lowering his head to drink himself. It was always good, after all, to show another so skeptical that an offering wasn't poison.

By the falls the air was cooler with misty spray and a northern chill. It was a good in between for the Clovenheart, who had spent so long living in the cold. But he didn't have much time to think on this wild land that he'd come to think of as home, for moments later he heard a rustle in the trees. Ashamin's head lifted, causing streams of fresh water to drip from his chin and down along his beard.

Close, Lochan sent the message through the trees, and Ashamin nodded.

"Our healers should be here soon. I appreciate you trusting me enough to follow, I understand it can be difficult to know who to believe when you come to new lands," Ashamin said to the stranger, though he wasn't sure why. Likely the words would only be met with distaste, as all others had been. Still, Ashamin could not shake the desire to help this newcomer. That would always be his way.

""

image credits

@Ryouta needs healing, thank you @Chaska and @Seanan for agreeing to help! Ashamin sent Lochan and Rakt off to find Chaska and Seanan, so whichever one of you comes first you can say Lochan found you (since he is closer) and whoever comes second you can say Rakt did. Write that as you need to! There's information about what Lochan and Rakt look like on Ashamin's profile if you need it.

Yayyyy I am excited. :)

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Ryouta Posts: 30
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: VIII HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Tai
良克
Ryouta
The light bending through the boughs of the trees distorts, swirls, lifts, drawing new pictures in my hazy vision.  The wound on my shoulder aches, but I am distant, feeling nothing of the heat pulsating through my body.  I shiver occasionally, having no control to stop such a thing.

Much to my surprise, Ashamin remained quiet throughout much of the journey.  I am glad, for the irritation rendered from the interactions in this wood thus far wilted my already waning energy.  Now, I mirror the silence, focusing on the sunlight glowing on his painted back, trying to stay awake.  The pace is slow, for my benefit, and I am silently thankful for this as well.  Leaving behind the shadow mare with her pure intentions and hard teal eyes, I am now left to reflect upon my actions.

More disturbing, the presence I am trying to ignore, the flickering golden figure being formed out of light at my side.  She is a ghost.  Nothing but a ghost.  Do not look at her face.
I am dying, wavering between the living and the dead.  It makes sense the dead are reaching out to me now, with soft arms, trying to pull me over.
The soft chirps of birds warp into laughter, chiding at my poor attitude, at the pile of trash I had become.  I cannot wait to be rid of this fever and the painful reminder that I am nothing but a failure.

"Ryouta."

I shut my eyes, continuing to step forward, shaking my head.
As I open them again, I had nearly walked straight into Ashamin's ass, but my slowed movements halt immediately.  I search his face as he speaks, trying to capture the tones that fill the space between us.  He introduces this place as the Blood Falls, and a crackling laugh escapes my dry throat.  How fitting, not that he would really understand why.

"Hai," I say in return to his attempt to quell my fears about the deep crimson of the water.  "I understand - thanks."

I walk forward, dropping my head wearily toward the blood colored surface of the water, and gently dip my muzzle into the liquid.  The cool burst hits my throat painfully at first, but eventually levels off as a soothing sensation.  It is around now that I realize the glimmering ghost has disappeared, leaving me alone in the forest with the limp horned unicorn.  Off the brink of life, but still not out of the woods, I suppose.

My ears flicker toward Ashamin as he speaks again, but my lips do not break from the rippling surface of water.  I do not know how long I drank from the crisp liquid waters.  After minutes, hours, years, I lift my head and lazily let water ooze from my lips back to the surface.  "I am already dying," I say, my voice quite abrupt, but a smirk twists the edges of my lips.  "Not like I have much to lose by following you."

Despite the rather noncommittal tone of my voice, my back leg cocks to reveal that I am indeed relaxed, perhaps for the first time since Ashamin laid eyes on my weak form.  "You should really consider a change of heart, though.  Helping ungrateful asses can't be a good hobby."  I look out at the falls, watching the crashing water form thick mists which wrap us in a cool respite.

""
誰がこの心のために殺されことを非難するのですか
Dare ga kono kokoro no tame ni korosa re koto o hinan suru nodesu ka?
Image credit to fOtOmoth at flickr.com

Seanan Posts: 44
Outcast atk: 8.0 | def: 10.0 | dam: 2.0
Stallion :: Equine :: 17 :: 9 HP: 60.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Rien
Seanan had not strayed far from the Blood Falls of late.  He had lingered on the edges, where the trees were thinner.  Though he didn't particularly like it, he had some strange reluctance to stray far that he could not name.  Perhaps it was a loss of purpose, as all the threads ran dry.  Perhaps it was delaying the inevitable.  Avoiding facing his ghosts.  

As it is, he is startled from his grazing by a familiar young deer's arrival.  The star-scattered black companion was usually in the keeping of Ashamin, from Seanan's understanding, so he lifts his head to look for the painted stallion.  Nothing.  Instead the dark creature seems to demand his attention, and finally the white stallion is goaded into motion.  He follows Lochan somewhat reluctantly into the crimson drenched woods.  He does not like being summoned.  He did not agree to pay fealty.

And yet as unexplainable as his reluctance to leave the area is a strange compulsion to answer Ashamin's summons.  In the end, he is a dutiful creature.  They do not travel long before he catches the scent of Ashamin, a stranger, and sickness.  His body recoils and he plants his hooves, ears laid back as the scent of infection seems to surge up his wide nostrils and force it's way into his lungs.  His stomach clenches.  His muscles quiver.

He turns and his legs extend to gain what speed he can through the tight packed trees.  It is on the edge he finds the little bower he has begun to make for himself in a little clearing edges by brush.  There he gathers a few things onto a pile of large flat leaves- white roots, golden flowers, more broad green leaves.  He gathers it into a bundle as best he can and seizes it between hard white teeth.  Then Seanan returns to the Falls themselves.  The scent does not give him pause this time, and he spares only a glance to Ashamin before he approaches the stranger and sets down the bundle next to him.  

It's the closest he has ever voluntarily approached a body outside of battle.

"My name is Seanan, may I treat your wound?"
His voice is oddly formal, almost ritual.  He would not touch this stranger without permission, much as he would not himself accept touch without such a request.  His rose colored eyes briefly try to meet Ryouta's, then are drawn away, trying to see the wound that so fouled the air.  He was glad they were at the pool.  It would make cleaning it easier.
All interactions are go, short of death and permanent crippling.

The Clovenheart

Though perhaps it was only out of necessity, or a pain-induced sense of delirium and vulnerability, Ashamin appreciated when the stranger's attitude seemed to become less, well, hostile. When Ashamin found himself encouraged to change his habits, he only smiled and shook his head in dissent. "How else would I have company for quiet walks like these?" He said in jest, referencing their eerily silent journey. His eyes softened then, his gaze focused.

"I try to be good, stranger. It's a hard thing, and I'm not sure what it means. Maybe it's offering help to those who try to deny it, or maybe it's leaving them to die. I know that I've failed at finding out, and I've failed many times. But I've also found that it's useless to stop trying, regardless of the situation and how others might see you for it." His tail, long and unappealing, curled forward to skim the surface of the water once Ryouta's features had lifted from it. A few stray sparks skittered over the surface, disturbing its stillness. Maybe Ashamin would have said more, would have acknowledged the strange confession that this unwelcoming stag had teased from betwixt his lips, but at that moment Lochan's approach grew louder and more distinct.

Ashamin the Clovenheart turned then from his failures and his shame--from his memories of Ovidius' blood face and the earthen mare's dead child. Despite the fact that he'd known Seanan longer than this dying pegasus, Ashamin did not feel as if they had a relationship where he could reveal such vulnerable thoughts. Erasing all sense of trepidation from his expression, he greeted Seanan with a grateful smile and an extension of his cheek.

"Seanan, I am glad Lochan found you. I'm sorry if you were interrupted in your wanderings, but you can imagine that this was urgent," he said, his tone needlessly apologetic. Was it Seanan's lack of greeting that had made the painted buck feel the need to overcompensate? No, surely Ashamin need not feel strange around an ally. Nevertheless, he felt uncomfortable. Seanan was... prickly, to say the least.

In an attempt to focus on the task at hand, Ashamin motioned towards the herbs. "Would you mind telling me about your process? Perhaps next time I could use the knowledge to heal another, when you are not so fortunately near," Ashamin asked, genuine in his curiosity but unsure in his memory. Luckily Lochan had an eye for, well, everything; if the Clovenheart let the name or the shape of the healing herbs slip his mind, the little eye would know enough to make up for it.

The stag quieted then, letting the pegasus speak for himself. The stranger seemed better after drinking some water, but Ashamin would be glad to learn something about healing. His magic healed his own wounds but not others, and he'd been foolish enough to ignore all the times Tiamat had brought him herbs after spars in the past.

""

image credits

@Ryouta (@Chaska feel free to join in whenever if you still want I just thought I'd keep this moving. No need to join though if you're not into it.)

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.

Tai
良克
Ryouta
The air quickly turns into something far more playful than it had been in the Threshold.  Likely, the removal of the giant chip from my shoulder had everything to do with this turn of events.  Ashamin himself seemed like a kind soul, willing to put up with and aid someone as callous and brutish as myself.  Instead of thanking him directly, my praise comes in the form of a shift in attitude.
After all, being around too many people tends to make me anxious like a caged animal.  It had been that way for many years now, and normally the anxiety made me lash out at undeserving folks.
Well, some of them surely had been deserving.

"A comedian, I see," is my response to his description of our journey here.  The tone isn't hostile, but strangely flat in the rather lighthearted air.  Maybe I am just tired from my wound; maybe I am just tired of life.

His next monologue would have driven someone else to attempt to comfort the painted brute, probably.  Instead, I watch him with mismatched eyes and a blank expression.  The words seemed strangely downtrodden for a soul like this painted man.  Even though I had just met Ashamin, he seemed unlikely to fall prey to self-loathing and doubt.  Whatever happened in his past, I could not see, but had I been able to, I would relate well to the imagery of blood.  Even standing here, in front of a large river of ruby painted water, made me feel this whole situation was ironic.  I am not stranger to bloodshed.  I have never shed a tear for the wounds I inflicted, the lives I took.  I never felt anything except a strange version of relief.
Now, looking into the pool which reminds me of my past, I feel a little queasy about my past life.  Maybe I really have died, and instead of heaven, I have arrived at some bizarre intermission.
I certainly don't feel like myself.

"I wouldn't dwell on it so much," I offer, though I make no attempt to clarify why.
Like I said, I'm not trying to comfort him.

When the painted stallion's face returns to a stoic calm, I sense that my healer is coming.  Whatever connection Ashamin had to his companions, as he called them, it must be strong, for he draws back up into himself, leaving none of the painful expressions on his features.  Something stirs in me then, like I feel strangely connected to this stallion who doesn't even know my fucking name.  Maybe my anonymity offered him a stage to air his inner thoughts, or maybe my devil may care attitude.  Whatever it is, I am confused.
I don't want people relying on me.  I cannot be relied on.  I am a failure, more than he would ever guess.

From the shadows of the trees arrives another stallion, long and angled strangely.  His limbs flow much like Ashamin's awkward tail, and I find myself wanting to laugh at the odd appearance and amble of his gait.  I do not, maybe because I am tired, but an amused smile does flash across my lips for the briefest of moments.
A bundle of herbs falls near my hooves, and I feel relieved the white stallion does not ask me to chew his wood, like Lyanna had.

"Ryouta," my name extends in return for the healer's - Seanan, and though I am speaking to the tall skeletal man, my eyes focus primarily on Ashamin.  Perhaps, I am trying to make up for my terrible attitude later, but I felt that I owed the Clovenheart my name, at least.  "Yes, feel free to do whatever you need.  Arigatou."

I extend my wing back to reveal the jagged line sweeping from my shoulder to my barrel, my eyes turning back toward the pool of blood.  "Let me know if you need me to move or do anything to make it easier."
Thinking back, maybe I should have taken advantage of Lyanna's numbing herb.  However, it was too late.  Like many decisions in my life:
I made my bed, now I have to lay in it.

""

ooc -- sorry it took a bit. Work is being a pain.
誰がこの心のために殺されことを非難するのですか

@Seanan

Seanan Posts: 44
Outcast atk: 8.0 | def: 10.0 | dam: 2.0
Stallion :: Equine :: 17 :: 9 HP: 60.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Rien
When Ashamin spoke, Seanan's eyes flicked back to him.  The gaze was heavy, considering, as if wondering what brought the queer, apologetic tone to his voice. There was a hint of impatience in the lines of his body and the restless flick of his ears.  In truth, he had not noticed the turned cheek (nor would he have known what to do with it if he had).  He had simply seen the problem at hand and was prepared to do what his minimal skill would allow.

Worry wrankled in his gut.  He was not truly a healer, only a dabbler working from memories.  He let none of this show, his body language and expression controlled to the minutiae.  Instead he portrayed a harried sort of impatience and a quiet confidence that was not, exactly, true.  So strange that he could easily lie with his body, but rarely did with his words.  The stranger gives his name and the white stallion's head snaps back around to study him, eyes quickly drawn to the soon revealed wound.

"Try to be still- I don't take kindly to being knocked over the head."  There is the hint of a smile at the quirk of his lips but his tone is dead-pan as he glances up at the pegasus's broad wing.  His nod to Ashamin's request is absent minded.  "It needs to be cleaned first."

Then he is too busy to narrate, using moss and water from the pool to clean the worst of the foreign material, dried blood and rot from the wound until the blood runs clean.  Bleeding is not ideal for Ryouta he thinks, but it does help flush the wound.  

"Marigold will help prevent further infection, and comfrey will help hold the flesh together, to heal." He speaks as though reciting from memory- and for a moment he can hear the whisper of a melodious old voice in the back of his mind, feeding the curiosity of a younger generation.  He plasters the wet, sticky mash of root and petals across the stallion's side, then covers it with the broad leaves he brought, pleased that he had everything he needed.  Willow would have been nice to give to the stallion for the pain, he muses as he steps back.

"There.  Try not to get it wet for a few days- when it dries the leaves will begin to peel off and you should wash then.  If the flesh has not begun to scab and heal than another poultice should be applied."  He speaks with a confidence that isn't entirely his, but he would rather the stallion believe that he full knows what he is doing.

"There is a tree, a willow if you know it. The inner bark can help with the pain if you need it."  He huffs a soft breath and though his question is for both he looks to Ashamin.  "Any questions?"

OOC:// I hope you don't mind I just sort of pushed through this part.  If anything about it feels power-play-y to you go ahead and let me know and I'll fix it.
All interactions are go, short of death and permanent crippling.

The Clovenheart

Though Ryouta does not attempt to comfort Ashamin, he does just that. Being who he was, it had not occurred to Ashamin that he could let things be rather than beat them to death, over and over, in some sort of wretched cycle of guilt. Turning things over in his mind had done him little good and perhaps made him think worse of himself than he should. And though he did not desire to live without any sort of moral code, the concept of letting bygones be bygones and understanding that some of his straying had been beyond his control had not occurred to him until the stranger had presented it so simply. But having no time to respond, having no words prepared with which to thank him, Ashamin only nodded and adopted a half, sad smile.

Within moments of Seanan’s arrival the Clovenheart learned that the name of the Pegasus who’d followed him so far was Ryouta, and he wondered then if the moniker had been withheld as a sort of collateral. Until I feel the herbs on my skin, you’ll know nothing of my being. Ashamin held his tongue, though, for he took no issue or insult with Ryouta’s preference to remain anonymous for as long as he had. The wilds could take a toll on one’s being, and it was easy to think that you stood on your own. That was, of course, in part why Ashamin had founded the Unbound—to combat that anxiety—but he wouldn’t fault Ryouta for likely feeling what was natural.

He focused instead on Seanan’s process, for as soon as the nod of approval was given he felt as if the opportunity to learn something entirely new had appeared before him. Ashamin was suddenly hungry for knowledge, and Lochan watched with similar eagerness. The process was methodical, and most of the names were foreign, but by the time the wound was clean Ashamin had a rudimentary understanding, at least, on how to care for more severe wounds. He had a feeling the knowledge would be quite useful for his own injuries, too.

At the mention of willow his ears perked up, for that was something he knew. Ashamin knew that the painkiller should not be his first order of business, however, so he spoke of other things and informalities before bringing it up.

"Thank you Seanan," the Clovenheart said with a nod, "I don’t have any questions, no. But I appreciate you showing me your process. You’re a great asset to The Unbound." His thanks were genuine, but he did not expect much in response. Seanan had seemed irritable, and both confident and skilled enough that he did not need compliments from one who knew so little of healing. "And Ryouta, do you feel better?" he asked, testing the pegasus’ name on his tongue. There was a subtle widening of his smile when he invoked the name that had been hidden for so long, and then he remembered the willow. "I know of a grove, in the Southwest, where willows grow. If you would like, I could send one of my companions to collect some for you, or journey there with you myself if you’d like to stay on the move." Lochan looked at Ryouta then, as if to assure the stallion that he knew the way and would do as Ashamin told if commanded. Ryouta may not have been the most grateful at first, but Ashamin and Lochan were warming up to the stallion.

""

image credits

@Ryouta (did you want to be tagged I forget oh dear oh no what does it matter tags never work for me)

Tai
良克
Ryouta
The air quickly turns into something far more playful than it had been in thIt's an awful sensation, your skin being clawed at from the inside. My eyes remain open, fixed upon the soft surface of the ruby pool as the scab holding in disease, dirt, filth, tears from flesh.

A mixture of yellow, brown and crimson slides and oozes easily from the wound with slight pressure, and my shoulder twitches against my will with the force of the pain. It slides with the water down my already stained white leg, the scent of decaying flesh filling the air more strongly than before. I feel in my heart the beating of a man alive, but emotionally the cleaning of the wound, the fixing of my mortality, brings me closer to feeling dead than I had for a while.

Ryouta, nakanmon.
Softly, softly her voice drifts into my thoughts and curls around my psyche like a warm blanket. The narration of my medic cannot reach me, and instead I find myself drifting into the past. The pool of blood near my hooves takes me back to her own, quietly usurping the pale figure on the ground. Her sightless eyes closed tightly, her breathing ragged and shallow. When I had fallen to my knees at her side, she had smiled, like my very presence were enough to clot her blood and make her whole again.
Ah, but even in those last few moments I could not fulfill her wish. My eyes ran thick with tears, my muzzle covering the smile. Rain fell on her face from my own sorrow, and yet, she still willed me to be happy.
I am not happy, nor do I think I could ever be.

At some point, the tears from my past slip through the cold, emotionless exterior in my present. One slides down my cheek and hits the floor before I realize. I shut my eyes for a second, opening them back up to Seanan, whose rose eyes find mine as his words are directed at me. Surprised, I look back to my shoulder, wondering how long my musings had captured my attention.
"I understand," is all I can manage, my eyes coming to rest upon the thin structure of his face. "Thank you."

When he speaks of pain, I shake my head. "I prefer it," I say quite flatly, my tone revealing nothing but maybe the drying streak on my cheek would. "Pain is a good reminder." Again, like much of my dialogue, I make no attempt to explain to them. I found that many people felt sympathetic to my story up to a point, and I could garner their love and warmth at the mention of grief.
I do not want their attentions, their affections. I want hers, but we both know that is not possible.

Instead, I stand here, a bandage on my former death sentence. The painted stallion asks me if I feel better, and I laugh, a hollow and ugly sound. "Yeah, I am fine now."
Like I thought, I can't die so easily.

He needn't worry. I knew if I told him so, he would probably only worry all the more. For whatever reason, Ashamin seems quite unable to leave well enough alone. That is evidenced in our short period of being together. I feel that if I had met him when I was younger, newer, with innocent eyes and my warmer heart, we could have been friends. Now, I don't know what I would call our relationship. Ashamin is too kind for me, and I am not quite selfish enough to take full advantage of that.
As much as I want to be a lone glacier, I feel that my icy exterior is quickly melting.

"I will stay here for a while," I say, looking at the glimmering pool in the dim light of the forest. I pause, trying to recall what that white ghost of a stallion had called this place. "Helovia - I mean."

My eyes falls on them for a brief moment before I turn, my wings folding gently upon my back and shielding the bandaged wound, hooves taking me slowly to follow the riverbed farther south. "Maybe, I'll see you around."
The words are half-hearted, but they reveal a little bit more about myself than I'd like. Somewhere, I think I want to see the awkward healer and the bleeding heart again.
This never would have happened in Eikkahn. Why am I trying to get closer to others?
They only bring trouble.
""

ooc -- I don't mind either way, Jen, lol. Ryouta is out~

nakanmon = don't cry anymore
誰がこの心のために殺されことを非難するのですか

@Seanan