the Rift

[OPEN] Consolation Prize

Albrecht Posts: 249
Aurora Basin Impersonator atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1hh :: 19 (Orangemoon) HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Strom :: Suma Ball Python :: None Townsen
They say salt water is good for healing, but who are they and what do they know? All the grumbling old stallion feels is wet and unpleasantly cold where the coastal winds swoop in to leech warmth away from his dampened coat. Even more irritating, the rhythmic push and pull of each wave as it washes across his fetlocks and is sucked back out to sea drags the sand from beneath his hooves with it, forcing him to shuffle around like some unhappy mixture of crab and horse or risk slowly sinking into the beach itself. His joints creak and click with the repetitive movement and his tail flicks in annoyance.

He’s stood here gently rocking for the better part of the afternoon and well into the evening, and still his body aches with overuse, to say nothing of the deep, radiating pain that throbs with its very own pulse in his left shoulder. The tending he received from the Weaver, the cream colored mare, and Lena the Songbird has done a remarkable job of accelerating his natural healing, but the effect of their ministrations seems limited to superficial ailments. They'd soothed his ribs somewhat, allowing him to breathe easily so long as he walks or ambles (which is really all he cares to do anyway), and the Songbird's melody was able to close the horrible, gaping split across his left shoulder, but the more substantial damage to bone and cartilage beneath refuses to be hurried by any magic or good intentions. The hairline fracture to his humerus will heal when it's good and ready and not a moment sooner.

Bored, but not yet ready to return to the Basin, he stares idly out at the horizon where mirrored, seemingly endless blues slowly separate into one expanse of cool colors and one of warm, dazzling orange, yellow, red, and pink. His ears tip forward, always appreciative of beauty in the world, when a quiet clink draws his attention down. Something metallic, shiny – gold? – wraps around his right front hoof, pushed there by the ceaseless shifting of sand and water. He reaches down to grasp the small chain between his teeth and notices as he lifts it from the water that an oval pendent of green stone hangs from the chain, not transparent like emerald, but opaque with wild, swirling patterns across it.

OOC // Open to anyone. :) Alby’s found his Earth Amulet. It’s an oval pendant of malachite on a gold chain.

[Image: 56c616e54affc]Rated M, R, NC-17, AO, 18+, NSFW
Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
Sohalia
There's a level of exhaustion that goes beyond 'tired,' past 'weary,' and lingers on the far side of 'fatigued.' Sohalia the Transcended had officially reached that point.

Her nights were spent in fitful bursts of sleep, interrupted frequently by the nightmares that startled her awake. Each evening, she retired to the little copse of palms that she and Vinati had claimed for their own, thinking that surely, surely this would be a calmer night. Surely her body could not stand another night of this torment. Surely sleep would take her out of necessity. But each night, she was disappointed when she woke gasping upon every coming hour, silent tears leaking from her eyes and a dull sense of fear and hopelessness in her chest. And every morning, she would rise before the sun, using the waters of the oasis to clean her tear-streaked visage. It was better that she looked strong, even if she was shattered all to pieces on the inside.

The ivory dove had not left the safety of the Dragon's Throat in some time, having wanted to prove to Gaucho that she wasn't intending on going anywhere, that she could and would stay with him and their family. She had wanted to fight for them, or at least for whatever was left. But now... now she couldn't look across the sands without feeling that painful emptiness where her heart had once been, couldn't wash her face in the oasis without revisiting the devastatingly wonderful memories of what she'd had. She couldn't help but feel exposed to the world without the WildFire watching over her - over all of them. She wondered if the rest of the herd felt the same way, if they remembered Gaucho as their guardian, their fierce protector. With him, they had been safe. Without him...

Sohalia hurried onward, shaking the disturbing train of thought from her mind. Her wings pumped furiously through the air, pausing now and again to allow the pale mare to glide through the air. She wanted to fly fast enough to leave all of her hurt and guilt behind, though she knew that she would never be free of their heavy burden. Still, it didn't stop her from trying as she crossed Helovia from far above, watching the trees and the plains and the rivers pass away underneath her. The crafter didn't stop until she saw ocean, until she knew that she couldn't fly any farther west without eventually falling into the waves and drowning. She couldn't - wouldn't - leave her family behind. Especially not now.

It was upon the sandy shores of the Endless Blue that Sohalia spotted a dark form standing in or near the surf. She considered turning around, returning home, not really in the mood to be social - but she couldn't help but notice the figure's odd movements, the way it seemed to dance and prance stiffly in and out with the tides. Her curiosity getting the better of her (and guilt rearing its ugly head, for what right had she to be curious about anything when her lover was dead), she descended, touching down rather loudly upon the sands, hoping to announce her presence so as not to startle the dark figure. Upon closer inspection, she saw that it was a unicorn stallion; without meaning to be, she was immediately wary, having never really forgiven the Aurora Basin and the unicorns for their past transgressions.

"Hello," she called hesitantly. "Might I ask what you're doing?"

"Talk talk talk."

@Albrecht

Sohalia
Don't wanna leave this life knowing I barely tried...
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Thin chain still clenched between his teeth, the elder shudders sideways away from the whoosh of air and muffled thud of hooves slamming down onto the sand of the beach beside him. When he turns, finding a stranger staring nonchalantly back at him, he scowls severely at her, ears melding into the black hide of his mane-less neck. “Being sshcared to death, apparently.” He mutters unkindly, tufted tail flicking across his hind legs in agitation despite the fact that no fly in all of Helovia could withstand the steady winds blowing in with the rhythmic push and pull of the tide.

“What are you doing?" He shoots back, jutting out his chin and waggling the small oval of malachite on its jewelers chain. Wanting to free his mouth for further rancor, he tilts his head to glance down at the tiny golden links, but the chain is one continuous loop without a clasp and much too small to slip over his head and backswept horns, so instead he tucks the necklace into the folds of his sweat-stained scarf, spinning it around on his neck so that the ends are knotted at his withers now instead of in the center of his chest.

“I know wings are kind of the thing with you guys, but I don't go around goring everything so maybe you could not go winging into everywhere at top speed." The words are mild enough in themselves, very nearly diplomatic compared to his usual, but the tone he uses and the venomous gleam of his eyes takes any illusion of civility out of the equation. He means for it to be insulting, the pain of his injured left shoulder - exasperated by his sudden lunge to the side - whipping his temper up to a frenzied pitch in record time, whatever good the days salt water soak may have wrought undone in a matter of seconds.

OOC // @Sohalia I really didn't mean for this to be so vicious, but he's out of control even in my own head. xD

Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC

Sohalia
Almost immediately, Sohalia regretted having landed at all.  The unicorn stallion glared at her when he turned to find her standing nearby, his ears flattening against an oddly maneless neck.  Well! she though, her own auds twisting slightly backwards, didn't he hear me coming?  Despite her momentary petulance (she'll take anything over her grief), the mare noticed that an odd amulet hung from a chain between the stallion's teeth.  Did he find it on the beach?  Why wasn't he wearing it?  In any case, it hardly mattered.  The stallion's irritation was in full force (or so she thought), and she had not desire to be on the receiving end of it.  Not when she was already so broken to begin with.

Her mouth twisted into a thin line as she drew herself up.  "Why, I saw you scampering about madly on the sand from the sky.  I simply wanted to see if you were injured, or... or lost, or otherwise in need of assistance."  Despite her almost injured tone, her words were genuine.  Unlike her newfound companion, there was no malice in her demeanor, just anger.  It was a pure sort of fury, the kind that is born of a gentle soul attempting to give help where it was not wanted.  Didn't this idiotic stallion see that she was trying to help?  Or would he rather just limp about on the sand, running from a wave that almost looked like it could knock him over?  Sohalia's bi-colored eyes sparked.

Anger was easier to deal with than guilt.

At the sardonic comment offered, something in the pale dove snapped.  She had been in a living hell for days and hadn't slept in nearly as long, drowning in her guilt and anguish.  Her mate lover Sultan was dead, and she had never had the chance to say goodbye.

Or I love you.

Or I'm sorry.

"If you were paying attention then you might have noticed my approach," she retorted.  "It's not my fault you're more afraid of the water than any potential threats that could come from the land or sky."  She immediately regretted the words and her clipped tone, but it was weak in the way of insults and there was something almost cathartic about taking out her buried feelings on a stranger.  She could - and would - feel plenty guilty about it later.  "Besides, I don't think you're going to be goring much of anything, between that limp and the shape of your horns."

"Talk talk talk."

@Albrecht

Sohalia
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

"Hmph." He snorts, never swayed to the point of forgiveness, but always somewhat tempered by a show of concern for his general well-being, however abstract. Only the stoutest of characters when in their greatest mental and physical health are able to maintain personal values like manners and respect for the elderly in the face of his constant and entirely deliberate unpleasantness. He's become accustomed to - and secretly enamored with - testing the crowds of Helovia in this manner, only a select few passing the trial and standing (invisibly) favored by the old man, none of which can be described as a snow white pegasus mare, thanks to her next clipped comments.

"Maybe it's you who needs to pay more attention." He snaps, then pauses to let the water wash against and around his aching legs, nose gesturing slightly at its frothy surface as it stills and begins to reverse direction. Demonstrating, he lifts one foreleg with a sharp sucking sound, revealing a hole created by the sand beneath his hooves being drug back out to sea with the tide. "I move with purpose, not fear."

He shuffles aside then, eyeing the mare more analytically. His critical mind wonders if she's ever bothered to set hoof in the ocean before or always just spread her wings and soared away before reaching its edge. He guesses her older than most of the barely matured natives around here, though far from his advanced state of decay, but perhaps she still lacks the stillness to rest in one place long enough to observe the world around her.

"If I was wounded though," He consciously forces his gaze to stay level instead of dropping to the puckered skin of his left shoulder, lips pursing in their denied urge to rub at the deeply throbbing pain there. "What assistance would you offer?"

"Alby talks" 'Strom talks'
OOC // @Sohalia

Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC

Sohalia
Guilt assuaged the mare as she bit her tongue. She had no right to speak in such a way to a man who was clearly several years her elder and had done nothing wrong besides offer a cranky response to her unwanted appearance. It mattered little what turmoil she carried within herself; she had never been one to lash out at others as a result of inner pain before, and she'd no intentions of allowing herself to do so now. But his harsh words rebuke any apology that might have spilled from her ivory lips, leaving her with only a slightly lowered head and shame-faced grimace to offer the old man.

- Purpose or not, he still looked like a crab, - Astraeus observed shrewdly. Sohalia chided the zephyr gently while swallowing the chuckle that might just send the unicorn into a grumpy rage.

What would she do for someone who was injured? What indeed? She was no healer, nor had she any measurable skill in herbalism. He dwarfed her, so any attempt to help him hobble to a healer would be useless, and she could hardly leave him stranded to go for help. Her nostrils flared as she deflated further. "I would send Astraeus for help," the mare offered finally, gesturing towards the zephyr. "And then do what I could to ease any pain you had or stop any bleeding while we waited." Her mouth twisted wryly. "I admit it is not the best plan. Although," she added suddenly "I could always preserve you in crystal until help arrived - pause time for you, if you will." A hint of a smile appeared, indicating that her offer was a sad attempt at a joke.

Despite her rather discourteous greeting, the mare found that the interaction had eased the burden of her mind for the short time that they had been conversing. In truth, such a distraction was exactly what she needed. Anything that could send the dark thoughts about her lost love and many failures away was a blessing, even if it came in a remarkably grumpy package. "I apologize for disturbing you, sir. I am... not myself today, it seems. If you'd rather, I'll be on my way." But gods, she hoped he invited her to stay.

"Talk talk talk."

@Albrecht - I'm so sorry I took forever omg.

Sohalia

He's unimpressed and wholly disinterested in the more mundane components of her explanation, though he does follow the mares gesture to the large unidentifiable avian hovering nearby. There's an obvious mysticism to the creature and having lived in Helovia for more than a year now, he knows that the likes of magic and dragons - and just as likely princesses trapped in massive stone towers somewhere - are much more than imagination and children's stories within these borders. The unnatural is more common than the natural here and so he guesses that the bird is nothing overly extraordinary despite its majestic appearance, equating it to a feathered version of the glowy, deer-like companions he's seen here and there. The black and gold asshole has one called 'Duir' and the Basins old Haruspex had had two of them.

"Crystal?" He asks, picking out this one detail as worthy of interest among the rest of the word vomit the mare emits, but an unexpected apology and the suggestion of her leaving quickly follows. The stallions weathered head cocks, watching her emotions, or at least the outward expression of them, change so rapidly from one pole to the other. She comes across as genuine though, so he cocks one hind hoof up on its toe and lazily turns an ear forward to her, as much of an invitation as she's likely to get from his sour old features.

Resting alone in his cave, submerged in the hot springs, or leaning against the smattering of trees in the Aurora Basin makes for dull and lonely days, though to be fair he's spent a great deal of these past few weeks sleeping heavily, letting his body put all of its effort into healing, but now that the mare is landed and planted squarely in front of him he's loath to send her away and return to his solitude so soon. He lifts his muzzle to point at a small charm affixed to a silver chain just peeking out from between the long strands of the mares mane. "Did you make that?" He asks, bringing her back to the subject of his interest while mentally comparing the small floral pendant to the more robust oval disc tucked away in his scarf.

OOC // So I stalked her profile a bit and saw that she had a crystal rose necklace. I wasn't sure if she wears or not but I hope this is okay? I can change if not. @Sohalia.

Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC

Sohalia
“Crystal?” he asked, and she could almost hear a sliver of interest in his otherwise dull tone. And so she nodded, confirming that crystal was her medium of choice, not really sure if his brief comment was a question or a statement. At the very least, it didn’t seem that he wanted to run her off anymore, and in her current mental state, even that vague hint of acceptance was all she needed to calm herself further. In truth, she wouldn’t deal very well with rejection at this particular moment.

Astraeus began to preen the long locks of mane at the base of her neck. The motion was soothing to the mare, who relaxed further as she unknowingly matched the stallion’s cocked head. For a moment, the pair seem to be sizing each other up, comparing to some unknown mental standard of whether the other is worthy of their time. Of course, Sohalia is not interested in leaving the stallion’s presence yet (even if he is a big grump), and so she merely watches him self-consciously until he moves to speak again.

At his question, her chin tucked of its own accord to touch the crystallized rose that dangled against her chest. A lump rose in her throat, tears flooding unbidden to her eyes. It was this rose with which Gaucho had first professed an interest in her beyond the one… meeting… they had shared to begin with. It was this rose that had always reminded her of his love. And it was this rose that reminded her over and over of the guilt that poisoned her every breath, especially now that it was too late to change anything. “I did,” she told the stallion, her voice coming out a bit more quietly than she’d meant it to. She did not elaborate. She doubted that the stranger would care about her feelings even if she was to offer them.

"Talk talk talk."

@Albrecht

Sohalia

She'd seemed eager to talk before, readily answering and elaborating on his questions, but now suddenly the mares expression closes off. Her eyes won't quite meet his as she reaches down to touch the small pendent, and a sheen of moisture glints in them when she turns her head, though she holds whatever flood of emotion she's experiencing at bay. "Oh." Is all the stallion musters in response to her whisper, awkward and wary. He's old for sure, but not blind. He may have asked her questions once, tried to see as much of the situation as she would allow, but now he shrinks from her reaction, just barely holding his own baggage stacked across his back and shoulders and unwilling to take even another straws worth of weight.

"Do you take requests?" He asks instead, watching the mares companion gently groom the knots from her mane, jealous of the soothing, repetitive motion. He bristles, ears pinning for a moment, wondering, remembering, and instantly pushing the thought away of the last time he felt such a touch. Tangere and Johnny share the occasional nose or shoulder brush with him, but even those are fleeting and reserved, either for fear of his prickly personality or in disgust of his general filthiness. Even now, having let the ocean clean the dirt and the blood and the mess from the lower half of his body, grime and refuse still cling to his top line, dirt and who-knows-what-else smeared and dried across his neck and face. His beard is a mess of tangled, frayed ends and his hooves are chipped and worn, his whole appearance one of decrepitude.

He doesn't care anymore, truly, but moments like these remind him of a different time and place, one where he'd die of embarrassment to be seen in such a state, and the quick flash of self consciousness is a rude and unwelcome accusation from his former self to his current self. He shakes the feeling away, dislodging a small cloud of dust with the movement. "How about a senior discount?"

OOC // @Sohalia

Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC