the Rift

[PRIVATE] long road home

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow

NOW HER HAND IS RAISED, A SWORD TO PIERCE THE SUN
WITH IRON SHIELD SHE DEFENDS THE FAITHFUL, LET CHAOS BE UNDONE

It's a surreal experience, to be leading her father home. She never thought she would see him again, and convinced herself that he'd died outside Helovia - not a pleasant thought, but one she'd resigned herself to. Finding him again is a dream come true....although she didn't expect their reunion to involve her getting stabbed in the shoulder by him. Still, these things happen. Dominus has left them alone, disappearing to hunt, and the initial sting of her wound has already begun to fade.

Now that the initial euphoria has worn off, Nyx knows that she has some explaining to do. When she lied about the twins' parentage, she did so safe in the knowledge that her father would never return...but return he has. She can't let him blunder into the Edge without knowing what she's done. The thought of telling him her shameful little secret makes her blush with embarrassment (or would, if she had an embarrass-able bone in her body), but it's a necessary evil since he was a pretty large part of her lie. It is not a conversation she's looking forward to.

She waits until they're deep into the forest before she halts and turns to her sire. She ensures they cannot be overheard; she tells her secret to few, and does not want it being broadcast into the world. "Right, Father, before we get to the Edge there's some...things that I need to tell you. You're probably not going to like them, but I hope you will be able to understand why I did them. I also need you to swear you won't tell anybody." She fixes him with her icy blue gaze, begging for his vow of silence.

@Nato

Other characters have permission to use magic/violence against Nyx at any time.

Nato Posts: 84
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 :: 13 Buff: NOVICE
Candy

Alongside his daughter, the hellion strode in unison. Among towering pines, the shadows took over the distance an odd resemblance to home. Memories of his dam wash over his mind if for a brief moment, the warrior she had been and what she had taught him to become. Crimson pools withheld their stern haunting glow upon his continuous gaze into the depths of history. Thoughts wavering for a moment as they turned focus to his daughter. She had become a General of the Edge. Albeit a small grin curled on the edges of his obsidian maw.  He was proud that his daughters were growing into beautiful warriors, just as his mother had been. A blissful elegance beamed from his obsidian mask as he rested crimson pools upon his daughter's skin. 

Constantly, he was reminded of her
Reminded of that stormy night they danced in the rain.
A reminder that she was no longer here.
Querida, his lightning queen.

Lobes flicked forth as his daughter's pace slowed, crimson pools locking upon her curiously. Limbs seized and hooves placed themselves gently upon the mossy foliage onyx silks twitching in confusion. The stern glare she was casting upon him didn't ease his mind as she continued that he couldn't tell anyone. He mused silently to himself, gazing at her with some concern.  What could she have possibly done that he wouldn't approve of? Why was she being so secritive? Nato wasn't sure what to think of her stance, nor her sentences. Perhaps she was merely overthinking things as any typical mare normally does. Had she killed someone? No, surely not.. she'd be begging for a trophy, not secrecy. 

Intrigued, the dark night collected himself. A rough yet deep snort rumbled forth from tired lungs. He wasn't one to play tattletale anyhow. A dip of his head was given in agreement, though he said nothing. He just stood, crimson eyes beaming with a curious glow.

This had to be good..

@Nyx

She shuffles awkwardly until he gives his word, at which point her cheeks begin to burn with ashamed anticipation. Heavens, what will he think to the news that his daughter is a foal-churning slattern? Her dam would be ashamed - from what she remembers of Querida, the woman was as uptight as she was vicious. She would not have bedded every man that looked at her twice....although Nyx did inherit her dam's desire to test her lovers in battle first.

But there is no use in putting off the inevitable. "Okay, so. A while back, I met a devilishly handsome stallion named Deodat. I won't horrify you with the details, but we had a gorgeous set of twins named Libertad and d'Arcy. d'Arcy's still in the Edge - she's a strong, stubborn young thing, I'm sure you'll love her. Libertad is missing, but that's a different story." Her stomach contracts with misery at her absent son. "That's all well and good, but....this is the shameful part. Before the twins were even a year old, I fell pregnant again, this time by a considerably less mentally stable - although equally as devilishly handsome - man. Now, you must see why I began to worry. I was General of the herd at this point, and what sort of useless General is pregnant so often she can't actually do her duties? In hindsight, it was a stupid thing to worry about, but I was hormonal and my mind wasn't in the right place...I feared the herd would place a stigma on me for having another child so soon. I feared they would shun me for my weakness."

She looks away, looks to her father in the hope he'll understand. She doesn't like to think about it, but surely he must know the call of nature, the allure of the opposite gender. "So....I lied. I told the king, who is a good friend of mine, that...that I'd got word of your existence. I explained how close I was to you, and I asked his permission to leave the herd for a few months whilst I hunted you down. I asked him to tell the rest of the Edge that he'd sent me on a mission outside Helovia." She cringes at the memory. To use her father as a tale to suit her ends..."He gave his permission, so I left. I didn't leave Helovia fully, I just lurked around the outskirts for the duration of the pregnancy. I gave birth to twin girls in the depths of winter - Oizys and Enyo. Their psychotic father attempted to kill them at birth, but his conscience must have got the better of him, thank the Gods. I returned to the Edge with them at heel, and told Tembovu - the king - that...." This, if anything, is the worst part.

"That I'd tracked you for weeks, then lost your trail. I said I stumbled upon a clearing that smelled like you, and discovered a massacre which I believed to be the remains of your herd. I said that I found the twins beside their dead mother, being pecked at by vultures, and adopted them as my own because I couldn't bear to see them die. To explain away any familial resemblance between me and the girls, I said I believed them to be your daughters or granddaughters. " She falls silent for a moment, to let this sink in. "I know the whole thing is awful, and if I could go back in time I wouldn't do it, but what's done is done. Please don't tell anyone, Father. If you're asked, can you just say that it was an old herd of yours, but you left long before the massacre?"

The ironheart, usually so proud, has never felt so small or worthless.

@Nato

Hidden Account
Candy

"Okay, so." She began and his interest peaked as she continued on about a stallion named Deodat and the children they had. For a moment the children's names slurred into his thinking, what was so wrong with having a few foals? Poll tilted as eyes glinted with concern to her missing child, she was obviously worried but why wasn't she searching? What had he missed while he was gone?

"That's all well and good, but....this is the shameful part." Oh good there's more; he mused to himself eager for her to get to the point. As she explains her little adventure with another handsome stallion a deep exhale escaped flared nostrils. She was General of the edge, running around popping out children like a candy machine. And while he didn't mind the spread of their lineage (because it's a grand one) he didn't raise a whore for a daughter.

As she finished and turned her gaze away from him, he mirrored her actions gazing into the forest beside them. "I see." Words were gentle and laced with curiosity as he turned his gaze back to his daughter's face; she was obviously ashamed. But before he could assure her that a few foals wouldn't ruin her reputation as his daughter, or the Edge General, she spoke once more. "So I lied." She had lied to her leader about him, that she knew he was here somewhere on the edge of Helovia. Onyx lobes pull back against his skull and mingle with silken threads. He wasn't fond of where this was going.

She paused, but not long enough for him to utter a breath. She explained her little lie to this Tembovu and a groan escaped his lips. How is he just going to show up in the Edge now? He had to somehow follow along with this atrocious lie that his herd has been slaughtered, and his grandchildren were found by Nyx.

Mixed emotions Flooded him.
Crimson eyes alight with disappointment. 
She knew better. She was better than this.

Using his life, as a cover up for her story, for her mistake. In his anger, he had to refrain from spitting harsh words. Why not just tell them I'm back from the dead. Crimson eyes closed in frustration. Doing his best to appear calm on the outside, but a rage filled his heart. Chest heaved with a deep breath as he shook his head in disapproval. 

What if, I had died. 
What if, he had actually been slaughtered;
would it have been easier? 

Had she thought so little of him? When day and night he hated himself for leaving, and thought of his children every day. She didn't know it, but she is his favorite (should parents be allowed one) of all his children she was the most admirable. And now she was just as a filly standing before him, caught in a lie that should have never been told. If he was ever confronted on this massacre out of the love he had for his daughter, he would refrain from revealing her stupid mistake. But for now, he didn't know what to say; other than - "Perhaps... I shouldn't accompany you to the Edge." He breathed, his chest trembling as on the inside he was hurting. Limbs firmly planted into the earth under him but in his mind, he wanted to leave to run away from here.

Just returning home and just getting her back. It should be all laughter and thinking on times from long ago. Instead, there was this. What kind of trouble would they be in if this so called King found out? She never fully came out and said it, but had she considered him dead? Lobes lopped to the side as he collected his thoughts and contemplated leaving.

Leaving Her.
Here.
This.

After all, there's no such thing as ghosts.

@Nyx - So sorry, I have no idea where all that came from ;-; Poor Nato is confused.

At first, it seems to be going well; his 'I see' is not said harshly, and the silver's breathing begins to level out. Perhaps it'll all be okay, perhaps nothing will change...but then, as the crux of her lie is forced into the air, everything changes. He groans, and her heart sinks. She can understand his thoughts; this is a lot to ask of him. Using his life to engineer herself a lie...it was a hideous thing to do, something that she regrets daily. For all her flippancy and razor wit, she's still a living, breathing thing inside - she feels guilt, pain, fear. She feels everything.

"Perhaps... I shouldn't accompany you to the Edge." "No!" The word chokes from her before she can smother it. No. The thought of him in Helovia but not with her...it hurts more than she can ever say. "Father, please. Don't let this stop you coming with me to the Edge - it's your home as much as it is mine. Believe me when I say not a day goes by when I don't regret doing what I did. I was a fool and a coward, and you raised me better than that. Sometimes I think I should just come clean, but I can't, I'm in too deep now. You can't understand what it's like, why I did it...hell, I can't even fathom what possessed me to do it, but I never meant to hurt you. You mean the world to me." Her eyes are stinging, that's a bit strange....a single tear runs down her cheek, a little rivulet of pain. The ironheart never cries. This is concerning.

She looks away, blinking furiously to try and hide the one lonely tear. She doesn't want her father to think her weak, on top of everything else he must already believe. Her throat feels like a fist of broken glass, her eyes like sandpaper, and yet none of it comes close to the pain inside. "I said I believed you to still be alive, somewhere out there. Perhaps the man I 'followed' wasn't even you, perhaps my eyes deceived me, I saw what I wanted to see....you don't have to go along with this story. But Father, please don't leave me." Not again. The last words hang in the air like ghosts. She's lost him so many more times already - surely she cannot lose him again?

@Nato

Hidden Account
Candy

"No!". Her pain filled gasp burned into his lobes as they lay back against his ink flooded crown. Iron legs shift sideways as if he was going to leave. He wanted to leave. Perhaps it would be better if the world just assumed he didn't make it. "Father, please." She pleads and his heart cringes. Never had he felt in such a way, where he wanted two things at once. He wanted to leave, to run away from this place; but then he wanted nothing more than to dwell in the Edge with his daughters at his side.

"You mean the world to me." The voice but a tremble in his mind as crimson eyes easily rested upon her worried face. Seeing what all fathers never want to see, their daughter in tears. His once disappointed expression flushed away to one of regret. He had wounded her twice in one day, physically and mentally now. How selfish had they both been in such a short amount of time? 

On the inside, he was kicking himself in the balls for being such an ass. But his collected demeanor pushed away the anger he felt. Today wasn't the time or the place to have such an attitude over something neither of them could control now. Thick neck extended with intentions of pressing his velvet muzzle to her cheek albeit apologetically. "It's alright." He spoke softly, yet a certain sternness echoed in his voice while he did his best to offer assurance. 

She continued, covering her tracks on the little fib she had made her life to be. "But Father, please don't leave me." The demons heart broke at that point. How many times has he vanished into the night for weeks, months- years? So much for that 'Father of the Year' award. Crimson pools glazed slightly, though he did not cry. Stallions do not cry, especially in front of their daughters. "I'm not leaving you Nyx." He breathed softly, crown once elevated and proud lowered slowly in apology. 

"I- I know I haven't been the best Father to you," He began, praying they were alone in the darkness of the trees; the caress of the forest canopy engulfing their conversation. "Nyx, I'm sorry.." He trailed off for a moment, ruby pools searching for her frosted eyes."And while I do not understand completely, I will comply with your wishes of secrecy." He concluded, before stepping closer a gentle grin on his lips in hopes to lighten the heartache they both still very much felt. 

"Though I am curious, daughter.." Tones laced with curiosity as he touched his maw to the side of her neck. "What happens, if your King discovers our little secret?" It was true, what kind of repercussions would follow this little pact of secrecy? After all, if he was returning to the Edge- he was sure there would be some old faces that would remember him. And somehow explaining his escape from slaughter while his.. grandchildren discovered alone.. that would never do. He may just have to put a little spin of his own, on this little white lie.

@Nyx - -el tissues-

He touches her cheek, and she leans into the contact with a whinny of relief. If he leaves...she wouldn't be able to handle it. He means so damn much to her, and always has. Perhaps it's because he was such a good parent to her that he almost out-did Querida's shit parent-ness, that he's become both mother and father in one single bundle. Perhaps it's because they've spent so much of their lives together. Or perhaps it's just because the grey loves him deeply, a purer feeling to anything else that's ever occured in her steel heart.

He's old. He might not have that many years left, but she wants him to spend them with her.

I'm not leaving you, Nyx. This time, her knees sag beneath the weight of her relief; they wobble visibly and she has to catch herself to stop herself from tumbling to the ground. Then he apologises to her, and her eyes begin to sting again. "Oh, you don't need to apologise - you've been the best father a girl could ask for. That's why your opinion means so much to me. That's why I used you for my lie - because there's no man on this planet that I would have left the Edge for, except you. That's what made it believable." And she includes her sons in that; her sons outside Helovia, sons who own their own herds now. They can take care of themselves, but Nato...she like to think that he needs her as much as she needs him.

He agrees to comply with her wishes, and she buries her nose into his mane. "Thank you so much. You don't know what a relief that is for me to hear." She pins herself close to him, far closer than she does to any other stallion; those encounters are all about one thing, but this is completely different. She feels more comfortable around Nato than she does around any other man, and trusts him with her life.

He asks what happens if the king discovers the truth, and the silver soldier's eyes and voice harden with determination. "He won't," she says firmly. "I've schooled myself on how to act around him, what to say. I don't think he suspects anything. But Father...lying to him is horrible. He is a good man and a good friend, and he deserves better than me. But I haven't got a choice." She looks away, giving a resolute sigh.

@Nato -accepts tissues- :CCC

Hidden Account
Candy

The best father a girl could ask for. Her statement echoing within his mind as he savored her touch. They had been through a lot together over the years. And in his absence, she had proved herself a warrior. A leader. And he couldn't be any more proud of her than he already was. Perhaps she could teach Athena some manners, as she has fallen to the weak. She had the mind of darkness, with the attribute of beauty. But not the gull to actually go out and fight. Not against any mare or stallion. He wouldn't admit it, but he was ashamed of that. And for a moment, he wondered if Nyx knew she would be coming home eventually as well.

A small warm smile creases rough leather lips as he gazed over her shoulder. Skin shuttering to her warm touch as she pleaded her thanks to his secrecy. "Anything for you, Daughter." He breathed with pride, the smile still radiant upon muzzle. Though it soon faded as her demeanor changed upon his next question. He won't her words were firm, near harsh to his ears.

As she continues, Nato glances away with concern. It wasn't her he was worried about. It was him, slipping his tongue into the wrong direction. What if he mentions the wrong events, or mixes up how it all happened? What if he fucked it all up, and this king removes them from home? Forcefully, he returned his gaze back to hers with a nod in agreement. The King wouldn't find out, he couldn't find out.

"He won't." He assured, praying that he was right. Muzzle offering a gentle touch to comfort her stress. "Lets go home Nyx, I'm sure your king will be happy you have found a new Warrior." Tones deep but soothing with confidence as he did his best to lighten her mood.

They would be alright.
They just needed to be home.

@Nyx - If you'd like, we can just continue to the Edge <3
PS- so sorry it's a shit rushed post ;-; next will be better promise!