the Rift

[PRIVATE] blue neighbourhoods

Ultima Posts: 57
Outcast
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 4
Snapdragon :: Turkish Andora Cat :: None Kairi
i do my best to find some kind of glow
If there was a spirit who presided over the summer months and the children born to them, then that spirit was a merciful one. The long days of trailing after Tilney in the underbrush, gathering thistles, cloves, and pulling loose sheaves of bark from the gentle willow kept her too busy to think about the year she’d left behind. And she worked hard at it, the distraction – in the mornings she rose early, went through the arduous process of sorting out her hair, chewing mint leaves as she ran through the list of terms she’d learned the day before. In the evenings, after all was said and done, her breath smelled like chamomile flowers. 

Today they were out by the rotunda, midmorning light filtering through the trees and blazing white on the old stone. Ultima, having wandered off as she was wont to do, glinted as she rooted around the gazebo’s perimeter.

Her ears perked.

“Co-ming!” She sang through a mouthful of primroses – chewing hastily, she picked through the thick foliage, making a fair amount of noise as she went. (In her defense, she was much, much less conspicuous now than she was, say, a week ago.)

“I found a trove of peppermint,” she called out, wings slightly cocked for balance. “And spearmint, and burdock,” She had yet to trip today, and was keen on setting a record; just had to stay upright until they got back to the Edge, and there would be nothing keeping her from eating all the blackberries she’d discovered the day before. “—and dandelions, but those grow everywhere,” Sighting a familiar shoulder in the thicket, the girl turned and drew to a tidy stop alongside it. “Hallo, I know what those are – aren’t those poisonous?” 

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

@Tilney o great teacher tilbert
please tag ultima in all posts!
force/magic a-ok, shy of killing/maiming her!

Tilney Posts: 288
World's Edge Moon Doctor atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2hh :: VI HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Peatree :: Lesser Fruit Bat :: None Neverrmind

Swing and rhythm had returned to the great stallions step in the days subsequent to his return. Days of rest had renewed his ruined muscles and drained face and his ever loyal friend Glasgow had combed his mane and tail to resemble something of its former glory. Everything from the blistered fur on the tips of his ears to the chipped and beaten tips of his feet would take quite some time to repair. One, Two, Three and four - His ribs were certainly no challenge to count and his sunken cheeks and dull coat aged him at least five years. A small part of Tilney wondered if the herd was truly glad to have him back, or did they just think he was quite a joke for reappearing as he did. Many births had been missed including that of the Prince; It saddened him deeply that he had missed such an occasion.

There were no words to describe how thankful he was to his new little friend. Ultima in all her clueless beauty had been the one to breathe a peculiar kind of restlessness and hope into him which was all he needed to journey home; Tilney even loved her for it. She was angelic, even with her matted hair and grass stained fetlocks. This kindling love for Ultima grew entirely paternal and platonically; Pure, and quite perfect. 

While the circumstanced that they had met under were quite dire, some would say it had been the perfect seed for friendship. They had come to each other naked and kicking, their bodies striped of any finery, unwashed hair and stained teeth. Only their true selves had kept each other company on those few days it had taken to travel to the Edge.

He was settled in the shade of the rotunda, laying on his side and enjoying the sun and nightingale calls. Letting Ultima out of his sight was not a choice he took lightly; he was oddly protective of her. When she had disappeared for over five or ten minutes at  time he would call her back to se what she had discovered. Pushing his aching body off of bronze hanches the great stag stood, striding out of the Ancient Rotunda and ambling in the direction of where he had last seen his ivory apprentice. 

"Ultima!" was his nicker, ears pinned and verdant gaze searching over flowers and between knotted tree trunks for the painted girl. "co-ming!" was only just audible over the wonderful 'swishhh', made by a flock of swans landing in the near by lake. A grin crossed Tilneys ashen maw as his friends hoofbeats filled the forest, her legs distorting the midsummer morning light and creating an interesting light show between the trees as she approached. Announcing her findings, Tilney lifted his chin and laughed "wonderful! can you remember what a moon doctor will use peppermint for?" He spoke slyly, turning his head. He did not expect her to correctly answer this question, but he had faith in her to surprise him. When she joined him, Tilney caught a whiff of the beautiful but slighlty overwhelming scent of primrose on her breath. He eyed her for a few moments before a smirk escaped his nostrils "You know you'll get a huge belly ache if you eat too much of that, don't you?". He could feel her wings hanging over his back as she peered at a blue orchid, mentioning that it was poisonous; Tilney could almost feel the power in them vibrating off of them. As flimsy and light as she was, she had the wind and the air on her side and it clearly empowered her. "Yes, they are quite viciously poisonous. They do not cause death normally but they tend to make those subject to its venom quite delirious and can paralyse" Tilney admired the toxic flowers white and blue petals and the daring yellow and green hints towrds the center; It reminded him of the girl he stood with.
"This is a Blue Orchid, but I'm very forgetful of plant names; To help you remember you can give it another name. I'll call this one the Ultima Flower." 

tilney
and oh, there is more to this life

Ultima flower

@Ultima omg cute

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Outcast
Being a harebrained waif made her happy. She’d been kept on a short leash her entire life, ushered here and there to the tune a Bride’s strict itineraries. Up with the sun. Breakfast, and a small one or she’d lose her clean figure, and then hours of deportment and etiquette, and then another small meal, and on and on; history in the afternoon; magic in the early evening, when the stars began to show their faces; on; on; on. 

What decisions she’d ever been allowed to make were little ones (“I insist we take a short detour to observe the new ducklings, they are ever so small—”) and even then she’d been reigned in with the same concerned tone Tilney had so quickly mastered. It had taken her time to realize, but the carelessness of her childhood was the highest privilege – after months spent alone, hiding in caves and almost ruing her distinctive coat, she didn’t think she’d ever find that sort of peace again. Innocent rebellions aside, Ultima had been raised to be dependent and cherished, and it was in that environment that she truly thrived.

Besides, being sought out like a silly lamb every other second wasn’t so bad. It only meant she was loved.

“Abdominal maladies, wasn’t it? Upset stomach, nausea, et cetera? Oh, and I think it helps with memory, too,” she said, staring down her nose cheekily. The stern expression was a well-practiced one. It held and intensified, “And,” her eyes bright with resolve – “Should I fail to perish of primrose consumption (which mind you is the only means of death I will accept), then I expect peppermint and I shall be great friends. The greatest, even,” she amended, still grave in the face. There was a moment when she thought she’d laugh and ruin it all, but she forced it through her teeth as a very real, very heavy sigh. “I feel as if I haven’t eaten in years,” she confessed, glancing at her friend’s cheekbones, his fat-stripped flanks. “Don’t you?”

In a single week the Edge had improved the pair immensely. Ultima’s hair was not so expertly or elaborately coifed, but it was clean, and she’d polished her comb until it shone among the white-and-cornflower curls. She never wanted for shelter, or the sound of another person’s voice. There was food aplenty, everywhere she looked. But the girl had a hunger, and one that went deeper than blackberries, primrose petals, or the benefits of peppermint; even as single-minded as she was, the sensation of gnawing, of teething, of ache never wholly faded into the background. It struck her at times, like a slap, the sting ringing through her jaw. (You Trouble the Wild God’s Dreams; He stirs in His Sleep, searching for you. Come back. You must not tarry here. Come back—)

‘—Ultima flower.’

Sunlight. A blue orchid. Tilney’s scent, all earth and an indelible undercurrent of brine. She focused on these things, willed the black feelings down like bile (Come back), and—

Incredulous—

Half-laughing (COME BACK)—

“Are you saying I’m noxious? 

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

@Tilney I COULDN'T SLEEP BC I LOVE THEM SO MUCH

This angels company was more then refreshing. Her delicate remarks hidden behind the most innocent shades of sarcasm were the perfect remedy for his healing heart and curing mind. Regaining his formerly exquisite social behaviours were proving to be strangely difficult having spent so long in isolation and desolation. Tilney had begun calling her his little swan, but in his elvish mother tongue (Sindarin); She probably thought he was cursing at her or calling her sweetiepie. Ultima was truly that much of a blessing to him though. "Alph" He would sing "don't touch that! you'll break out in hives" or "That's a badger's burrow, perhaps leave it be..."
Tilney knew exactly how grumpy badgers were.

“Abdominal maladies, wasn’t it? Upset stomach, nausea, et cetera? Oh, and I think it helps with memory, too,”

"Correct! You are learning very fast indeed" was his cheer, having to clear his stripped throat midway through his sentence. Listening closely as his swan spoke of perishing to a primrose overdose, and his bubbly laugh returned to the tip of his tongue. "Even better friends then you and I" The stag chuckled, viridescent gaze flicking to his ivory companions sight givers of amber. They were a similar colour to those of the one he loved. Arahs endless golden eyes were a pair he could stare into for hours, but that was nothing new. The mention of eating made the stallion realise just how hungry he actually was, so he turned on his haunches in the direction of home. They could pick and chose form a banquet of berries on their short walk to the edge. "Now that you mention it, I am truly famished!"

Quietness was all that filled the journey until Ultima burst. 
“Are you saying I’m noxious?”  
A gentle smirk was the first thing to escape the bronze moon doctors lips, his crown turning to face the winged girl. "Not at all! You are coloured much like that beautiful flower... It just happens to be poisonous" he assured her. "The Tembovu flower is tasteless and wilts in not even an hour after you pick it; That doesnt mean Tembovu is tasteless and spineless" Tilney cackled. 'Or does it' he wanted to add, though he did not want to fill his young friend with anything wicked.

tilney

quack so sorry for taking 5ever, yesterday I took my kids to the snow (It's winter in australia, i'm not delusional trust mi + i dont have kids actually, i just have a dog child.)

@Ultima

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Outcast

The scratches and scrapes on her skinny little legs healed over, her hair pinned fast to the crest of her neck and pearls in her ears, that girl was a vision. Dancing. Care-free. She looked like someone who could only exist in this hour and in this place, perfectly suited to the pale, ivy-choked pillars of the rotunda, the sight of the lake through the balustrade; she was a rare thing, a magic thing even when she wasn’t loved, and then love lit on her face and she bloomed. Just like the flower Tilney had called after her. A hothouse flower, born and raised for a purpose, no matter how vain. 

“I’m telling him! Try and stop me! I can’t believe—” Her gasp and the subsequent laughter – astonished and playfully scandalized – rang through the warm summer air like bells. 

She was a superstitious thing; it happened in the wood, where everything was a sign of the Wild God’s (may He Dream forever) pleasure or lackthereof. The day she was born, there was no sun, and the north star winked out. The day before the Wedding, every bird in the Wood started singing simultaneously, so loud and cacophonously she could feel it in her own heartbeat. That there was a special, magical depth to every second under the sky was as natural to her as breathing – the kidnapping, the desert, the boy she met there – even the crocodile, she thought with an involuntary shiver – the long solitude that followed – all for a reason. 

And maybe that ugly reason had driven her out of her home like a river to the sea. To meet him. To learn the word “ocean”, and through it, “brother”.

“What’s a Tilney flower look like?” she asked absent-mindedly, her gaze flitting through the brambles and the roots as they made their way home – there might yet be a wild strawberry she hadn’t already eaten, or better yet, another blackberry patch growing secret and sweet in the underbrush. “Alhough I suppose you’re more of a tree, aren’t you? Or is that a tad simple-minded, what with the marking and all?” Her eyes shifted upwards, towards the canopy. All flowers wilted too quickly; trees were reliable and lived a long time, even through summer fire and winter ice. “I’ve got it— ” A tree was shelter in a way flowers couldn’t ever be.

“You’re a coconut.” 
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

@Tilney c ro a k s

For a doe so breakable as a feather, he threats were most daring. Tilney let a cackling laugh escape his throat as he made a leap and a dash, split hooves skidding across the damp earth in front of his glistening companion. He had every doubt that she was serious; she wouldn't tell Tembovu he'd said such things, but he would play along and prevent Ultima from charging forwards anyhow. 
"Can you imagine!-" Was his next cackle as he joined the dual-pennoned maiden at her side once again "the look on the great Elephant Kings face!"

Questions flowed throughout the journey; He took some time to talk about the healing properties that foxglove root actually had (despite how deadly the flower was). It made Tilney wonder if she always listened to everything he said; she was filled to the brim with curiosity, but He didn't know anyone besides himself who had the time or patience to listen to someone else talk for hours, especially on topics such as herbs. Most might consider the topic incredibly tideous and tiresome and made for the most drowning conversation. Was it truly out of curiosity she asked? or out of good manner? 
“What’s a Tilney flower look like?” 

"I don't know if there is one Alph" was the copper lads smirking response, glittering gaze finding his curious friends. He caught her own amber gaze searching the verdant shrubs and unruly bushes, perhaps on the look out for berries and so trained his own gaze off the path and onto the paths that bordered it. 
"I've got it--"
"You're a coconut"

"h-AH! How'd you come to that conclusion?"
He quizzed her with only the kindest tone - he did not want to mock her. It was then that Tilney realised how little he knew about his little swan. She had done all the questioning and he all the answering. 
Luckily Tilneys emerald sight givers had just crossed over a thorny blackberry bush by a small creeks deposit. Without evne a gesture towards it, Tilney set off at a light trott and was there at the foot of the bush in onto a few strides. Folding his knees and tucking himself down onto the meadow grass was what the bronze man did next - was there a better was to spend the afternoon? Good company, a soft pillow of meadow fauna, and a gorgeous feast of blackberries. Ashen snout turning to face Ultima after he'd devoured one or two berries, (skilfully avoiding the thorns) he asked her some questions.
"Where did you live before Helovia? What did you do?"

tilney

@Ultima

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Outcast

“I heard,” little Alph began, inclining her head almost conspiratorially, as if passing on some great piece of gossip she’d heard by the pavilion, “That coconuts can float. For weeks at length. And that’s how they get to new shores and put down roots, but sailing along on the currents until the waves wash them up on some beach or other, a lot like the way you came to me.” She stepped neatly over a low root, minding her footing. “But the best part is that you can use every bit of a coconut – they’re hardy, and versatile. They’ve got this … water, I guess, and you can drink it! Could save your life, coconuts,” she said, her expression serious.

Truthfully, if she hadn’t found Tilney when she did, she didn’t think she would have lasted ‘til the end of Birdsong. Little orchid girls weren’t known for their longevity. In the night with chamomile and valerian stuck to her teeth, waiting for sleep, she often thought that even life at the Edge was a miracle. Everything felt sharp these days, but dull at the same time, like a headache pounding, or the sun burning red through her eyelids; she could work through it if she grit her teeth, but the memory of never having to stung.

“And that’s wh— Oh, those are my favorite! Good eye!”

Maybe, ‘Where did you live before Helovia?’ it stung too much. ‘What did you do?’

“Oh ow—” She rubbed a knobbly knee to her mouth, brow drawn, jaw working. “Ow— Do you ever just— Excuse me—”

Hadn’t eaten thorns in a long time, she thought, spitting it out and, along with it, a hundred tiny apologies. Not since the Wood. Not since that morning seemingly centuries ago now, with the meadowlark and Minerva’s long, gray hair.
Sometimes she thought about telling someone. Anyone. It could be Tilney, it could be her face interrupted by the morning waves; anyone. But she also worried that someone – anyone – would tell her that none of it was real. The Wild God (and may He Dream forever). Minerva. The Wood, grown from the murmurings of a sleeping mountain, whose in habitants knew a hundred dead words for ‘star’.

Sometimes she thought maybe a little of it wouldn’t hurt. Maybe just the goldfish pond and the lemon tree, where she used to hide from deportment lessons and arithmetic and posture perfect – But no, she thought, fiercely as someone waiting for the opportunity to cry, that is mine, and if I speak of it it will be a dream, too far for me to ever touch again. No

Gingerly stripping another blackberry from the brambles, she crushed it with her molars and chewed thoughtfully. Her eyes, big, gold, sifted through the dappled sunlight, the long lashes perfectly still. “Well, it smarts a bit but it wouldn’t be the first time. Tilney-dear,” Until they weren’t. “What does that ‘Alph’ word mean?” It was a clueless blink, her gaze as wide and innocent as if she hadn’t heard the question at all. “You’ve already called me toxic today, don’t suppose you’ve been calling me a dungbeetle this entire time, too.”
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

@Tilney croaks some more this might have like 5000 mistakes in it i'm so sleepy

The swans voice became low as she tilted her cranium and spoke of why he did in fact resemble a coconut in her colourful mind - and the more she spoke, the more he blushed. Now Tilney worried he might of offended the lady by laughing; he did after all think she had spoken it in jest. 
"Pardon me for laughing Ultima"
"I did not know coconuts were so valuable! They certainly aren't as pretty as an orchid are they, but it seems they have a lot on the inside that I have underestimated." 

Come to think of it, Tilney was also considerably overjoyed that the doe was so fond of him. It seemed they both held each other accountable for their rescue from the abyss; loneliness and malnourishment in Ultimas case and blatant starvation in Tilneys. 
The young mans vibrant green eyes traced over his companions wings, wondering if sometimes she ever just swept herself up and flew away? It was one of the reasons why he longed for wings, had always envied any equid who possessed them. This golden man was particularly envious of Ultima because she was gifted with two pairs of pennons. It was honestly not a sight he had ever beheld until he set his first sight on Alph - Two pairs of horns he had seen, but two pairs of wings? never.

A giddy chuckle escaped his lips as the girl bounced towards the berries he had pointed out, allowing the young lady to run on ahead before he set off on her trail.
After setting himself down in the grass and allowing his tired legs to stretch out on the cool earth, he heard his friend coo in pain. Tilney was quick to respond, his nose flicking in her direction, verdant gaze looking her way with concern. she seemed quite fine, but perhaps forgot about avoiding the thorns. 
Smirking, Tilney nudged himself closer to the young doe. "Vicious aren't they" he uttered as he closed his eyes, exhaling deeply - He was preparing his body for something magical. 

A dark vapour began to slink between the thorns and the grass around them, rising from the earth as a mysterious pearlescent, purple smoke. Tilney was not used to the rank magic yet, but it was something he was getting the hang of. He opened his eyes when he was certain he had conjured the moons wondrous power, then concentrating on applying it to Ultimas nose and mouth. "be calm, it won't hurt"
With another deep exhale, Tilney allowed the smoke to retract back into the earth and dissipate into the air; it's job was done, hopefully. 
"Better?" the moon doctor asked with the kindest of smiles, looking past his ginger lashes to Alphs eyes of gold. 

It did not go unnoticed that Ultima ignored his question about her birth place. It was a sensitive subject for most Helovians. Where Tilney came from was no home, at least from the little memory he had left of it. Tilney remembered happy times with his siblings but no one other - it made him wonder where Carlisle was and how she fared. He had not seen her in a few weeks now and he was positively dying to introduce her to the swan.
The flaxen man heard his companion quiz yet again and of course it made him grin. Rolling further onto his side, his sight givers took up the lady's once again. "I have not" He utter softly, a wide grin across his maw in response to the possibility of calling her a dung beetle. 

"In the language of-" he was refraining from saying 'my people'. They simply were not his people any longer "-It is elder speech for Swan. It is the language of the Aen Maea Unicorns, perhaps you have herd of them?" 
"It is where I was born and grew up."

tilney

Uses WE Moon Doctor Rank Magic to heal her thorn 'bite'!
+
woah theres a plot idea
Tilney introducing ultima to thin air har har

@Ultima

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Outcast
“Much better,” she said quietly, her gaze floating somewhere in the space between them, a curious smile sitting on her pale mouth. She kept running her tongue along the place the thorn had been, marveling at the smoothness; the residual taste of blood was an afterthought, whisked away by the crisp magic that made her doubt she’d ever been hurt to begin with. And it was a foolish thought, but she couldn’t stop herself from wondering – could magic erase the past year? Could it turn back the clock, set her feet back on the Altar, pin the seven veils back, gather the pearls and string them once again around her thin white throat? Her expression held firm, but she would’ve liked to laugh – a short laugh, a bitter chiding one. Foolish as she liked to be, she still had a sense of moderation.

Life was balancing the give and the take. Brides weren’t greedy; they already had everything they could ever want and more, besides. Strange, how Minerva’s truisms bloomed from thorns to roses. Her gaze sliding to Tilney’s calm, familiar face, Ultima didn’t know how far she could carry this feeling or how far it could carry her, but right now, this was enough.

“It’s Elder speech for Swan.” This was enough.

Still smiling faintly, the girl plucked a few more berries, chewing on them thoughtfully as her teacher spoke. “I didn’t know there was so much in the world,” she said, frank as ever. “It seemed so large from the inside, but looking back – ” She paused, flicking through her memories of the Wood, the endless trees, the snippets of sky, the goldfish. “ – it was only a pond. If I’d known about the ocean … ” Well, she would have disbelieved it at first. When all you’ve got is a goldfish pond and a river, the concept of so much water – especially now that she had seen it – would’ve sounded like guardsman prattle. But, she thought, eventually she would’ve curious. Eventually, she would’ve wanted to see it, and once she got an idea into her head it was difficult to yank it back out.

Perhaps that was for the better. Perhaps, no matter what had happened, marriage or no marriage, Wild God sleeping or Dreaming (and may He Dream forever), she would’ve gone walking along the beach one day, and found him.

“Was it much like the Edge?” she asked all of a sudden, her chin lifting smartly. “I can’t picture you anywhere without trees, you know. Not sure if it’s your shoulder or the fact that you remind me so much of a coconut – oh!” No briar – only the sun, lower in the sky than when they’d set out that Tallsun morning. In all honesty, she would’ve liked to stay out by the rotunda for another few hours, basking in the sun, asking Tilney questions and laughing at the plants they knew. Moderation, though, she reminded herself, already beginning to rise. There would be more time – as far as she knew, child that she was, goldfish that she was, a little hothouse orchid, time was something they had in abundance.

Tossing her pretty head and stretching her coltish legs, Ultima caught Tilney’s eye and smiled primly. “D’you suppose we got to be getting home soon? I’ve still got to tell Tembovu you called him – what was it? Tasteless and spineless? She laughed, unable to help herself.

Goodness, that's brazen!”
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

@tilney literally one month later lmao..............
finish this off within the next post or two??? xo