the Rift

[PRIVATE] little talks |

Lourdes Posts: 9
Outcast
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 :: Five
wren.

I'M  BIGGER THAN THESE BONES

They’d rested on their way back to the Edge. Lourdes wasn’t sure if Mauja had stopped them for her sake or for his own. Perhaps it had been both or perhaps he’d had the good sense to present her on her best behavior. Whatever his reasons – she was grateful, though a word of thanks never did cross her lips. Most of the journey had been silent. The speckled unicorn hadn’t struck her as the intrusive type and if he did wonder anything about her, he didn’t bombard her with questions. Then again, Lourdes hadn’t made herself the easiest to talk to. She’d kept that weird white stare at the road ahead, gaze rarely deviating, and never toward him. Most of the speaking that she had done had been mutterings to herself – a verbal tally of all the familiar herbs and plants she’d seen on the way. She’d only really addressed Mauja when they passed through the borders of her new home.

It was exactly the way he’d described – thick forests as far as she could see, blanketed in a thick mist that seemed to stick to everything in the early morning humidity. “It looks like home.” She’d  said to no one in particular, though she supposed Mauja was as good an audience as anyone. The earthy smell of dew-laden soil wrapped around them, luring the witch further into the depths of the trees. Lourdes imagined it wouldn’t be hard to get lost between the trunks of the old pines and firs. She wanted to veer off the path now, disappearing into the mists in the way she did best. Yet, ahead of her, Mauja was still moving with purpose and she felt compelled to follow. This was herd-life, after all – she imagined there was a bit more to it than being courted in some faraway forest and following the man home like a stray.

“What now?” This time she was addressing Mauja, trotting up to keep pace with him shoulder-to-shoulder after she’d fallen behind gawking at some plant or another growing just past the treeline. Her bone-white head fell to the side, tipped at a curious angle that placed her unsettling gaze dead and center on his face. The witch blinked slowly, keeping watch out of her peripheral lest she stumble over some bump in the path. Their pace eventually slowed and then ceased in a clearing, silence still hanging heavy in the wake of her impatience.

a note | closed for mauja + alysanne(?)/other important edgers. plz forgive this trash disguised as a post. also i tried to keep the details of their journey here vague for interpretation.

@Mauja
please tag lourdes in all threads | force/magic permitted | permission required before serious injuries occur
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
She was good company—in the sense that she was quiet and reserved without seeming meek. He didn't think it was shyness keeping her voice from slipping out between dark lips, but rather the simple fact that she saw no need to speak. Mauja had settled silently in the lead, a whitewashed guide on a path due west, and she had fit comfortably in his wake, her silence occasionally punctuated by small mutters and mumbles. The first time his head had swung around as he walked, but it had been obvious her quiet words hadn't been for him; her attention was elsewhere, milky-white eyes lowered to the ground. After that, he hadn't acknowledged her murmurings beyond one black-rimmed ear turning backwards—a habit that was hard to kill when you had been raised a soldier. At some point in his life, Mauja had realized that he was always alert, always listening, watching, thinking, interpreting: the world was a catalog neatly contained in his skull, and whether he was aware of it or not, every damn thing that happened around him got entered into it, sometimes on a blank page, sometimes associated with something which already existed in there.

Lourdes—or Ghoulface, as he still called her—had been a blank page, but now she was tangled up in the fine web of Helovia. Threshold, World's Edge, gardens, plants, murmurs—she intersected with those he had "stolen" her from, owl magic, Alysanne, and other little tidbits like Skullface One and Skullface Two.

“It looks like home.”

He wasn't sure if he was just imagining it, or if her voice sounded .. not livelier, per se, but as if something which had previously been missing had been restored to her. Perhaps their rest, taken in a copse just on the eastern outskirts of the Thistle Meadow, had done her good. She had seemed a bit haggard in the Threshold. His breath rattled out of his chest in a hum as he crossed the broken remains of the glass wall and stepped into the too-warm embrace of the morning fog. Water droplets stuck to him, to the fine, long hairs on his muzzle, to his eyelashes, his horn, his face; it glittered like a string of pearls along his back.

“What now?” One black-rimmed ear turned back again as her pace quickened into the two-beat rhythm of a jog. "Now we find Alysanne," he said once she was beside him, blue eyes tipping to the side to watch her for a moment. "She is the head of the Moon Doctors, and I do believe the garden I mentioned is hers."

The trees parted slightly around them, and he left a trail of frost in the dew-laden grass before coming to a rest in the center of the small glade. Irma was already circling the Edge, looking for Hemlock, or for Alysanne herself; Diego had remained upon his back during their travels, talons safely locked around the crystal staff.

"Is there anything in particular you wish to know?" Might as well pass the time while we wait.

[ @Alysanne @Lourdes ]
stone cold, man or machine, the end of our dreams.
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

Despite the care she had been taking, the scorching Tallsun sun was not being kind to the plants within the garden. Many of them were starting to show signs of too much heat - curling around the edges and brown dead patches on their leaves. She could stand all day in that garden, letting the nutrients leech magically from her hooves and replenish the soil, but what they really needed was a good rain and a few cloudy days to give the plants a break.

Just when they were starting to get it back to its previous glory, the weather was uncooperative.

Some of the herbs, gathered further north, were particularly affected by the weather and had died so she was moving among the planted rows and gently pulling out those that needed to be pulled.

Her mind was hazy with the work, welcoming the distraction that the labour gave her, and she was so focused that she startled when her companion’s voice cut into her mind.

‘Queenie’s owl!’ Hemlock alerted her as soon as he spotted Irma and he swooped to get the attention of the other companion before leading her towards Alysanne. That rush of fear and dread spread so quickly through her body, only getting more potent in the few moments between hearing her companion’s deep voice in her mind and confirming with her own eyes that it was Mauja’s Irma that he was with. “Oh! What’s he done now?!” She asked the owl curiously, knowing very well that Irma could not answer her but feeling better for it all the same. The last time she had been summoned by the owls of Mauja, he had a minor burn and Myrinne was bleeding out from a difficult birth while a handful of stallions stood around and chatted.

What would she find this time?

She quickly abandoned the plants she had been tending and followed the owls.

To her surprise and delight, Mauja was standing in one piece and there didn’t seem to be any injuries on the roan pegasus with him as well. She didn’t bother to hide how she was checking them both over as she approached - that unease in the back of her mind ebbing slowly as she came up with a lack of major injuries. It seemed odd that she could have been called for anything else beyond her abilities as a doctor - but it would seem the day would be full of surprises.

“Hello Mauja, are you well?” She greeted him with an amiable smile before turning her green eyes to the stranger by his side, her ears perked with interest. “I’m Alysanne, can I help you two with anything?” Hemlock, instead of landing in his usual spot between her black ears, settled for circling overhead for the moment. He felt uneasy in the presence of Mauja’s much larger owl companions - both wanting to befriend them and fearing them - and the result was he did not know what to do with himself.

Alysanne

art by duskbeguile

@Lourdes <3
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Lourdes Posts: 9
Outcast
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 :: Five
wren.

I'M  BIGGER THAN THESE BONES

Lourdes supposed she liked Mauja, as much as she could like someone she’d met just the night before. He was content to let her be and when she was direct and to the point, he didn’t give her an offended look, only offering up the answers she sought. Interacting with him was easy and straightforward and he didn’t wear on her patience in the way that so many did. There was a nod on her part, acknowledging his answer without really offering anything else to the conversation. The witch was intrigued by the mention of the garden, the same way the word had roused her when Mauja had tempted her with it in the Threshold. Still, Lourdes was silent, filling her time scanning the trees.

An ear fell in his direction, surprised when the speckled stallion spoke again. She snaked her head around, peering at him with a speculative gaze. Did she have any questions? Lourdes supposed she had plenty, but she was drawing a blank. Momentarily her gaze shifted upward, focusing on the owl perched on his face. She recalled the bird appearing during their encounter at the Threshold, and another which he’d sent off when they’d reached this clearing. “Why do you have owls?” And then she frowned, dropping her gaze back to the treeline. What was she asking? Why did he have owls, as opposed to other birds? Why did these owls follow him around and do his bidding? Just, why?

Then the trees spit out a mare (and another owl), and captured Lourdes's attention. The mare’s expression was knotted with worry that seemed to ease when she settled before them. Even before she introduced herself, the young witch had assumed this was the doctor they were meant to be meeting – Alysanne. After a disquieting amount of time observing the black and white Pegasus, she nodded as if to accept her introduction. “I am Lourdes.” She glanced between the speckled unicorn and the splotched Pegasus, a flat expression inhabiting her features. “Mauja brought me here.” Another pause. “He says you have a garden.” She wanted to go there, to escape the itchy unease that crawled up her spine. She liked plants, not people. 

a note | what a noodle.

@Mauja @Alysanne
please tag lourdes in all threads | force/magic permitted | permission required before serious injuries occur
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
[ Very sorry about the wait - life took an unexpected turn for a bit. ]

It ran along his spine—the peculiar knowledge that he stood here, in his home, with a new member, one to become part of the family.. and yet, he did not know her name. He had missed that part of her episode in the Threshold, had come in later, simply seizing onto the best thing he could and taking it from there.

But truly, did names matter so much? Aside from a convenient means to catch somebody's attention, that was, for he wouldn't argue that they were useless, no. Obviously, they weren't. But names, names names names... The lack of knowing real names was what had brought Glacia into this world, a chance meeting between two strangers, no strings attached, no names exchanged. He knew who Ghoulface was by looks, wasn't that enough, if he had to go looking for her later? If she changed her name, what was a name worth?

Besides, neither names nor faces gave the story of the soul beneath. Somebody could be named Handsome McNicePants the Gentle Knight and still be a complete douche.

Her eerie gaze shifted back to him as he spoke, and he bore it without discomfort; who was he to judge just because she took her time observing? It hadn't gone away with sleep, that long, heavy way in which she watched, dragging the action out just past the boundary of what was appropriate. He noticed, because it was different. Because it was out of the ordinary.

“Why do you have owls?”

Mauja's white tail flicked against his hocks, trying in vain to fan the air against his mist-laced flanks. Why, indeed? "Others made the choices for me," he simply said. "One of the Gods of this realm pulled me through time to unite me with the white one, and then.. a snow leopard spirit said I needed 'another guide for my heart'. Sometime later, a plague and a wave of darkness swept across the land. Irma—my white owl—rescued an egg from a nest, and it hatched into another owl." He shrugged, slightly, felt a moment's sweeping vertigo as Irma spied Hemlock and dropped towards him. Frosty eyes locked upon the smaller owl before she swept on towards Alysanne, sunlight glinting on the metallic blue barring of her back.

Then she was in sight, the devoted healer of the Edge, and the concern in her eyes made concern flare up in him; was something wrong? Irma wheeled away into the trees, and Diego left his back to join her.

Whatever it was that had worried her, though, it seemed to bleed out into the sand, soak up and bleach in the sun—perhaps not yet forgotten, but soon to be. He blinked, a small smile curving his dark lips as his neck arched. "I am," he simply said, ears flickering to the conversation as it flowed between the two mares. And finally, he knew Ghoulface's preferred name—Lourdes. Still straight to the point, still staring slightly longer than was appropriate, and Mauja could only hope Alysanne would not take offense at her less-than-common way of acting. And on the subject of gardens... "I may or may not have baited her with it," he admitted dryly.

[ @Alysanne, @Lourdes ]
stone cold, man or machine, the end of our dreams.
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here