the Rift

[PRIVATE] Not Lost

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen
the Clovenheart

The trio stood on the edge of the Green Labyrinth--not in the thick of the greenery, not stepping in puddles or crossing under shadows, but just looking in. Their eyes were narrowed as if waiting for an attack, for a god, or some threat. Rakt knew these woods as a mystery, a tall copse of foreign greenery. Lochan saw them as the site of battles against gods and the monster that had been Erebos. Now that it was night again, that fear hung real once more in the air. Ashamin was not a coward, but he knew better than to tempt fate. He would not move into the Labyrinth, only to find an enemy in a friend once more.

It was safer on the edge of things. This was something he had determined by extricating himself from a herd. It was perhaps counter intuitive, but in the wilds there was always somewhere else to go, somewhere else to run. And rather than representing an entire herd, a body of government beyond one's control, Ashamin only needed to control himself. Those that would incite him to attack now would not bring shame upon those he loved. If he failed to uphold his own moral code, it was only on him. There was something freeing about that; it became a relief.

And when he wandered alone he could wander in the night, as he did now, in the hours of his strength. When night fell Ashamin and his companions saw sharper, sensed the world around them with ease. Ashamin was not born to live in the night, but Lochan had, and his time as Haruspex had taught him to sleep when the sun rose.

Ashamin thought of these things as he moved along the edge of the labyrinth, weaving between other more familiar trees and cantering across clear patches. When the trees were clear the moon shone down on his back, and Lochan and Rakt sang out to the stars in the soft tones of prey. They moved as a unit, together, as one, until they heard the sound: a crashing of weight, a movement in the towering mass of green.

""

@Abbadon

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Abaddon Posts: 42
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3hh :: 6 :: Ages in Frostfall HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Danjah
Abaddon
All men have secrets…

Abaddon was not aware that he ever strayed this far east before, not ever. He had been in Helovia for a few seasons now but felt like it had all been a waste. Apart from his Little Demon, he had become a wasteland of disappointments to himself, his purpose draining. Had Glasgow made him softer? He felt unaccomplished, especially in the Throat. The hell boy twisted his neck at the thoughts, feeling the ugly look spread across his mutilated skull as he thought about having to go back, to the place where there were supposedly so many creatures (none of whom he wanted to get close to) yet he saw none. His repulsive attitude had drawn any creature that had wanted to, that was, besides the ivory fae. His thoughts wandered over to her beautifully scarred cranium, unconsciously feeling the warmth in his fiery bodice actually being part of a need for her.

But he continued on, letting his pools scour the land. The wilds were perfect, there was so much land he could roam and let his heavy daggers take him anywhere. Whilst he enjoyed the pure heat eminating from the Throat's sands, he did not belong.

Here he felt the grass spread underneath his bodice, soft on his daggers and the feathers brushing against the blades. There was so much green despite the heat of Tallsun, early in its life but comforting nonetheless. So late in the day, he felt the sun setting...

With night falling, the blackened brute felt his horns on a sparse tree that had managed to crawl its way through the thin shoots of green. He saw the figure of another, a darkened brute with a ruby patch across his neck. He felt the need to discover him, an uncertain desire to be curious whilst he felt his ever-constant rage suppressed just for a moment. The heat always made him feel good, or at least, Abaddon's "good". Wandering further to him, his massive stance was clearly towering over the other. He threw out his words in a deep and dark voice across their short distance,
"It's hot even at night, isn't it good...?"

[OOC: I'm so sorry for taking ages again >.< I hope this is okayyy!]

" . "

@Ashamin
[Image: abaddon_pixel___enfanir_by_danjahmouse-d9uses0.png]
Please tag Abaddon in all posts! ♥

the Clovenheart

What came out of the woods appeared to be, in some ways, a crowned demon. If the stallion had not spoken Ashamin and his companions might have been scared. The labyrinth held bad memories, and demons played a role in every one. But no other evil that the Clovenheart had encountered here had broken the conversational bread with a comment as innocuous as one on the weather, and so he stood his ground and did so without tensing his body until it snapped. He was there, and he was strong, but he knew he need not be defensive. When his companions faltered, Ashamin told them this too.

"We must be from different worlds, stranger. I was raised in northern lands colder than any found in Helovia—the heat takes getting used to," Ashamin said with a tall posture and an unwavering tone. "Perhaps someday in time I will come to feel as you do," was all else he could really say about Tallsun’s heat. It was true that for now it was both unfamiliar and unwelcome, but now that he lived in the wilds he needed to adapt to the temperature. He was no longer in the Basin; when he had lived there it had always been cold, it was just a question of how cold. His companions were nomadic by nature and as a result adjusting much more quickly, but Ashamin’s transition would take time.

"My name is Ashamin the Clovenheart," he said to the dark, crowned shadow. "And these are my companions, Lochan and Rakt. It’s an unexpected pleasure for us to find company tonight," Ashamin went on then, first nodding to his companions and then beckoning them. Reluctantly they moved forward, looking up at the large stallion with their wide unbroken eyes. The sets of gold and white gazes transitioned from hesitant to curious. What was a stallion as large and impressive as this doing skulking through the labyrinth alone at night? Ashamin had to admit, the question came to him as well. But he wouldn’t ask it, not yet. Perhaps this stranger would reveal his intent on his own, or perhaps he’d simply been out for a walk. After all, it could be damaging to read too far into innocent things such as these.

""

@Abaddon!

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.

Danjah
Abaddon
All men have secrets...

Abaddon could almost touch the nervousness surrounding the other brute's body, the stranger's muscles so tense. He flickered quite a venomous smile towards the dark stranger as he felt the power surging within his own flexing muscles as he had come closer. But nonetheless, and to the hell boy's 'admiration', he stood his ground as his massive frame came that bit closer.

He spoke, tentative with Abaddon's huge blackened frame close to his own. He spoke of the cold as if it were an old friend and Abaddon felt a shiver piece his spine with his own opinion differing quite substantially,
"I believe you are right, I detest the cold as much as a weak creature. Heat is the most precious thing on this earth, it gives me feeling," and to that the brute had resigned himself to the fact that he had made aware his desires of warmth. For it did actually make him feel, it gave his bodice the means to work around its various limbs and organs; heat was this creature's lifeline. But the stranger spoke once more of there being a day where they would be on the same page and with his chest puffed out, Abaddon chuckled. His fiery pools were still very much fixated on the smaller stature but he could see that he was stood tall. Abaddon, however, wanted to get away from the topic of heat. His burning rage had subsided as he almost felt like he was speaking with an equal and the fiery beast wished to delve more into the mystery that stood before him.

But before he had the chance to begin, the brute began himself with an introduction and named himself as Ashamin. He let his lobes prick towards the same as he took it in before Ashamin continued to speak of the bonded creatures he had, both of which Abaddon had not recognised before. The niceties of the evening was also apparent in Ashamin's structured and formal greeting and to that Abaddon dipped his head. He was a dick, but tonight he was going to hide it. He had no quarrel with a brute that was friendly and seemingly on his wavelength when it came to being threatened physically. He noticed out of the corner of his pools the two companions peeking over to him with wide orbs, golden and pale hues reaching out to him with some amount of fear, if that's what it was. With a gruff voice, Abaddon replied, "I am Abaddon, and it is a pleasure to meet the three of you. I am of the Dragon's Throat, now a citizen..." Abaddon did not wish to speak of his demotion from the soldier rank, the warrior feeling less of a being if he admitted so, "Tell me, Ashamin. What does a creature do here if they wished to gain a companion?" With that question, Abaddon had his cranium curiously cocked to one side as he wondered out loud. He gazed on the two small creatures, each with attributes that could be good in battle and of course a gaze at Ashamin to see his gains. Abaddon naturally felt envious of the brute that possessed other living things. Another thing that Abaddon wondered was where did Ashamin's allegiances lie, for he had never seen him in the Throat nor on his adventures into the Wilds, "Where do you come from, which region may I ask?"

" . "

the Clovenheart

The longer they spent together and the more Abaddon (as he introduced himself) spoke, the less Ashamin began to think of their encounter as innocent. The dark crowned stag seemed to be nothing of the sort, and to even think the word in his presence felt strange and out of place.

Abaddon’s introduction of name was followed by one of rank, and Ashamin had to admit he was not surprised by this stallion’s choice of herd but he was taken aback by his choice of rank. Citizen? Why do nothing more than exist to be served by others in a herd with a stature clearly better suited to war and defense? Ashamin was certain that in the Unbound this stallion would have much more to do as a crusader than as a citizen of the Dragon’s Throat. And wasn’t Einarr a warrior there, or perhaps even high ranking among them? The Clovenheart was disheartened to think that his old mentor was letting able bodies go to waste in that desert island of his.

But the Clovenheart digressed, and he knew it the moment Abaddon spoke up again. He shook the thoughts from his mind, instead trying to focus on the situation before him. Besides, what right did he have to speculate on the inner workings of Einarr’s surely noble herd?

"A pleasure to meet you as well, Abaddon," Ashamin said with a cool tone and a curt nod. Though this stallion was perhaps somewhat strange and intimidating, Ashamin was being truthful and it was a pleasure. The Clovenheart rarely found someone he wish he hadn’t met.

When the conversation quickly turned to the companions, Lochan and Rakt puffed up with interest. Rakt exuded pride, for his ego was appealed to, while Lochan expressed further interest in the stallion. Why was Abaddon so curious about the notion of companions? Many sought knowledge of them for different reasons, and the little eye wasn’t sure about the altruism of the dark stallion. Nonetheless, Ashamin obliged with an answer. As a member of the Unbound, sharing knowledge was his duty. "Companions first come to Helovia in eggs, but these eggs can be found in many ways. I came across Rakt by chance, and Lochan was given to me at a sort of… gathering of helovians. They often come together and compete in some manner, to show that they are fit to take another soul into their being," Ashamin explained, sure to emphasize the importance of a bond. It was not, after all, something to be taken lightly.

As for where he came from… Ashamin smiled at the question, for he was proud to speak of The Unbound whenever possible. "I served as Haruspex of the Aurora Basin for some time—given the miles that separated our lives, it’s not surprising we’ve never met before. But now I move through the wilds as an outcast, and the leader of a band called the Unbound. We strive to maintain independence while still carrying loyalty for our allies, practice the art of defense, and gather and spread knowledge," the Clovenheart explained quickly. He couldn’t help but raise his brow, but cast Abaddon a look of intrigue. Would the life beckon this citizen to do more, as it had Ashamin?

""

Danjah
Abaddon
All men have secrets...

There was a growing sense of silence between them as the pair sized each other up, scaling every nook and cranny of both their physical appearance and their body language, as well trying to seemingly get into each other's minds. Ashamin was small but he still saw respect in the stag and this was something that urged Abaddon to abandon his flight further away from the Throat and to stay here.

And then Ashamin spoke towards him, the blackened velveteens of Abaddon purely fixed into place as he listened to the starkness in his voice. His nod was then reciprocated by the hell boy, slight but apparent. Deep down he felt almost like the 'pleasure' was all his as he stood here, getting a feel for a creature that Abaddon felt like he could actually like.

When the topic had swung to the companions that lay before him, he felt a sense of envy at the fact that he could be as powerful as Ashamin. But alas, he was not going to be a creature that any old god would grant him one. He would have to find one for himself, but that was the part that he struggled with. Ashamin's explanation of how he aquired the two, whom at this point still continued to stare with wide pools, was fascinating. With a pause for thought he then replied in the same dark voice,
"How interesting. I have never been aware of how you become part of a companionship but always liked to have one," another pause caused Abaddon to gaze directly at Ashamin with the slighest of grins, "It is something I would be happy to compete for that honour," and thus remained silent on the issue. Abaddon wondered deep down whether this was a wise thing to say but his whole attitude in these circumstances generally was "fuck it". That much had not changed since he had first stepped foot in the Threshold.

Ashamin then smiled, seemingly keep to make his history known. He spoke of something that particularly caught his attention, letting his dark lobes flick towards the unknown topic to him - The Unbound. Without even letting his brain process the information, a loud voice boomed from his massive chest as he instantly felt the need to speak, "The Unbound, you say? I have never heard of this, but the idea of a band of outcasts is interesting to say the least," in a much quieter voice, Abaddon flicked his tassles against his rump, "It sounds a lot more fun than the herds..." And that much was true - in the seasons that he roamed these lands he had never had one successful fight if he had ever come to find one, and all of those spars were much more like training. The herds were weak, too full of their own responsibilities to care for their weaker members whilst playing political games against each other. These were things that he had come to resent a lot sooner than when he had joined the Throat. He spoke once more to Ashamin to show where interests lay, "I only joined the Dragon's Throat for its heat, the members are weak and I know that I am not one of them..." With his body stood tall he seemed to tower above the brute, his chest still puffed out and his once handsome skull with a knowing look adorned all over it. Whatever Ashamin wanted from him, he would gladly give it for a trial in the outcasts.

" . "

the Clovenheart

Abaddon’s tone regarding companions seemed to change, and Ashamin became instantly more sympathetic. It was easy for the Clovenheart to forget how lonely he’d been before Lochan had come into his life, and he knew he was particularly lucky to have Rakt as well. Many in Helovia were blessed with a companion’s company, to the point where Ashamin often assumed that those without were simply solitary folk. Abaddon, however, did not appear to be that sort of stallion. It was a pleasant surprise for such a strong and intimidating beast to be in touch enough with himself to admit he wished to travel with company.

In fact, Abaddon seemed to be very open. Ashamin had to admit he liked the freedom that the crowned stallion seemed to have with his words, for he did not seem hesitant to air either his admirations or disappointments. And it seemed, too, that they were many. Perhaps the Dragon’s Throat was not the great and strong land Einarr had made it seem like after all.

Ashamin wasn’t sure if he was more disappointed in the herd or the dark pegasus he had considered his mentor. For some reason though, he did not doubt that Abaddon spoke the truth. He saw little (if no) reason for this stallion to lie, and Ashamin suspected that the brute was perhaps more honest than his intimidating demeanor might suggest. It was strange to take a liking to one who so resisted that sort of relationship with the very lack of charm he exuded, but Ashamin found himself trusting and approving of the stallion. Perhaps it was because his two companions had seemed to relax, turning their attention instead to the patches of grass they could graze on.

Maybe the painted buck would have paused to further discuss the joy of companions, but Abaddon seemed quick to pick up on The Unbound, and Ashamin was pleased to see the eager look on the black stag’s face. At first he only nodded, as if sympathizing with the tethers of herd life. Ashamin had lived in a herd for some time, and did not regret doing so, but there was something about the freedom of the wilderness…

"If the idea strikes you, Abaddon, you should know that The Unbound welcome all who would value its tenets. If it is weakness that you fear, then you can be assured that many of our numbers practice and teach the art of defense. And as for the heat…" Ashamin smiled then, thinking of all the lands he called home, "as an outcast, you would be free to wander all of the wilds and make your home wherever suits you best." His long tail curled anxiously but his face kept the same, excited look upon it. Would Abaddon really leave the Dragon’s Throat for the life Ashamin offered?

""

Danjah
Abaddon
All men have secrets...

With the given sound ground that the pair of brutes had potentially found in this conversation, Abaddon felt his ever-burning rage continuing to simmer down as the rest of his bodice felt more and more comfortable in Ashamin's presence. His shining ebony pelt quivered ever so gently as a breeze lifted at this point, but he remained in the same spot, daggers and feathers fixed into the ground to the point he could have melted through it. The east of Helovia was certainly a place that Abaddon felt almost comfortable in, almost as much as felt comfortable in Ashamin's company.

The hell boy's thoughts turned back to the Dragon's Throat, the place he had all but abandoned during his flight. He did not belong there and yet, he somehow felt at peace. That was something quite remarkable for the brute that was never at peace with anything. Forever at war, perhaps voluntarily, he knew that he could find his home elsewhere. And the talk of The Unbound only ensured it.

Ashamin brushed over the topic of companions, much to a slight annoyance that pricked inside the burnt skull of Abaddon, but he jumped right in about the band of outcasts. Flicking his lobes once again towards the sound, Abaddon let his fiery pools also fix on the dark stag as he enticed him in:

"...you should know that The Unbound welcome all who would value its tenets... as an outcast, you would be free to wander all of the wilds and make your home wherever suits you best."

For some strange reason at this point Abaddon remained silent as his thoughts drifted back to the time he had first arrived in Helovia. The same words had basically been spoken by Ranjiri, the tolerable fae that had led him to the Throat with the promise of the heat and desert. But she had fallen short on her promise that he would feel at home there. Abaddon involuntarily arched his powerful neck at the thought, the facial expression sour as grapes as he continued to mull that over.
What Ashamin spoke of felt more real - he wanted to be in numbers but not bound to them by herd responsibilities, to be in their company when it suited him unless given an otherwise more... violent reason. Ashamin's smile pretty much sealed the deal for him, and Abaddon smiled darkly back,
"You remind me of somebody who once said that to me. I trusted in them to have given me a permanent home in the Throat but they were wrong. You speak of the same things yet I feel you would be more honest about it than they were..." he focussed directly in on Ashamin's pools, his arched neck ruffling back down to a relaxed state as his tones swept over the brute once more, "Tell me about The Unbound and we shall see if you think me suitable to join these outcasts."

" . "

the Clovenheart

Abaddon pointing out the similarities between Ashamin’s pitch and that of a herd member didn’t put the Clovenheart in a great mood, but there was nothing to be done. He was not so shallow as to grow defensive and bitter at the comparison, especially when it had been drawn enough times to bear some merit. Perhaps he had lived too long in a herd to fully shake off some of its trappings when starting his own group in the wilderness, but he knew that some of the differences were too great to ignore.

"I understand your hesitation," Ashamin said, his tone calm. His ears, flickering just once, were the only indication that he was ruffled. "There are, of course, some similarities to herd life. This much is unavoidable when putting your trust un others. But as for the herdlands’ habit of dividing its members into ranks, we consider that a thing of the past. Rather we are teachers and students, practicing disciplines," he explained, hoping he was answering the dark stallion’s inquiry sufficiently. "Many of our members are crusaders, and spend their days learning fighting arts. Others are the absolvers, connected to the gods, or artificers, crafting weaponry and goods to support their allies…" he let his voice trail off, as if to indicate that the disciplines continued on in a similar fashion. If Abaddon was truly from a herd (and why would Ashamin doubt that?) then he knew the arts that Helovians were versed in.

”The Unbound will be here. Should you wish to join us, stay with us, study with us…" Ashamin paused, his dark eyes suddenly filled with hope, "…you would not be abandoned, Abaddon. Understand that our loyalty for each other can weather all storms." He had hope for his band, his own ability to lead, and this stallion before him. Somehow, despite everything, Ashamin really believed things could be all right.

""

Danjah
Abaddon
All men have secrets...

Ashamin's voice rang through the quiet air in a calm tone but his words sounded encouraging. Abaddon felt slight hesitation of course, after what he had told Ashamin of his previous 'promise'. But as he stood there in all his massive glory he listened intently to the brute, giving his own stance on how there were similarities and differences between being in a herd. The pros and cons were weighed with as much bias as Abaddon understood there would be, considering that the darkened brute that stood before him was evidently the leader of a band that would rival a herd. And for this Abaddon felt a cruel smile spread over his velveteens as the demons in his head felt that he was waivering to the thought. The hell boy could clearly see the merits of what the Unbound had to offer, and this was something that he liked. There were ranks, but something that left places for others to learn instead of throwing them into a position without a clue. And that's what he liked. His smile continued as Ashamin did the same with his speech. There was talk of crusaders, who were the warriors, the healers, or artificers as he called them, the ones who liked to speak to the gods called absolvers. And then his voice grew quieter.
It then gave Abaddon a little time to actually think on the positions. They were obviously exactly the same as in a herd, but something about where he could be positioned felt like they would give him more purpose.

He stayed silent, because as his velveteens motioned to speak, the acquaintance continued his words with an invitation that gave Abaddon a very quick decision to make. However, it was only quick to him because he knew that that was what he wanted,
"I thank you for your invitation, Ashamin. And I feel that I need no time in deciding that I wish to join your ranks," his stare was fierce but respectful as he threw his tassles over one side of his neck with an almighty muscle flex, "Undivided loyalty is something I don't see in the herds, even as much as the fools like to believe. But I believe in The Unbound there could be such a thing..."

" . "

[Abaddon has accepted to join The Unbound cast, leaving The Dragon's Throat.]