the Rift

[OPEN] When you try your best but you don't succeed

Rhoa Posts: 175
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17hh :: 3 HP: 65 | Buff: ENDURE
Odd
Open thread. Rhoa lurking at the borders at night time waiting for day and/or someone to find him to bring him to @Ranjiri

None of this feels real.

And I don’t say that lightly, or poetically. It isn’t that I feel as though I’m in a dream, or that the world has suddenly become so inhospitable as to not be real anymore, quite the opposite.

It literally doesn’t feel real.

I can’t feel my body. My wings - beating steadily as I fly undaunted forward - feel as though they are disconnected from me. I know my breathing is laboured, and despite the fact that my ears hear the way phlegm is accumulating deep in my lungs, I don’t feel it.

I can’t feel it.

All I can feel is is my heart. And it’s breaking.

I had seen her standing there, with Cera and my Father. I had hesitated, wondering whether or not I should go down to see her. My moments of considerations proved too long, for shortly she was hugging them and then flying off. On a mission perhaps? To see her mother maybe? I landed near my Father, not wanting to seem as though I was lurking, and I could tell instantly from the look on his face that she had been sent away on no mission.

Ranjiri go back to Hidden Falls.. That was all that he had said, and then turned away from me.

I didn’t leave right away. I had promised my sisters that I would never leave without saying goodbye, and given how often our family seemed to do that nowadays, I didn’t want to add to that long roster of disappointed disappearances. So I had sought them out, told them I would be gone for a few days, and then departed.

It was dark when I left, then day had broke, and then night again.

Am I even welcome here? I wonder with a laugh that parts my lips but never touches my eyes. And so what if I’m not? Who leads these lands? Archibald? Kaj? I couldn’t take either of them in a spar, but that was no deterrent. I would find her.

And then?

Then I didn’t know.

Please, I prayed silently as I landed on what I assumed to be the borders of this place, please let me find her. I didn’t know what it was I was going to say - why I was even here really - but I was. And I had to see her.

My embered wings folded against my flanks and I moved beneath a large tree, trying to appear as un-hostile as possible, as I waited for someone to find me.

Rhoa
Round here we talk just like lions
But we sacrifice like lambs
Round here she's slipping through my hands

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali
Ktulu</style>
when the sky turns gray and everything is screaming
i will reach inside just to find my heart is beating
</style>

It had been several days since Ranjiri had returned to the Falls to live there and Ktulu had not yet had the time to seek out her daughter and speak to her. There was always something to occupy her time with, whether it was patrolling, speaking with her warriors about their patrols, setting up spars and patrols, meeting newcomers at the borders, speaking with the leads about any concerns she had, or making sure Murtagh didn't get himself into trouble. She was always busy and she preferred it that way. When she had free time she tended to think too much about Hototo, her mother, her daughter, her fathe, Lakota, and her sister and how she had failed them in one way or another.

Movement in the sky caught her attention and he probably would have gone unnoticed had it not been for his glowing wings. This was precisely why she took the night patrol as often as she did. The herd was vulnerable at night with so many sleeping, tired, or otherwise unaware of what was happening at the borders or just beyond. Her ears tilted back and she snorted softly as she watched the glowing thing drop toward the ground until it disappeared among the trees. The dark mare didn't have to say anything, Eytan was already moving swiftly in the direction the glowing thing had landed, eager to find out what it was and what it wanted.

The grizzly arrived first, but Ktulu was only a few steps behind. The moonlight was enough to illuminate the area they stood in, but he stood in the shadow of one of the Falls' many trees, which helped to hide him though not completely. Ktulu did not like the fact that he appeared to be hiding under the tree and, naturally, assumed that whoever it was was probably up to no good. Why else would he show up at the borders at night and hide under a tree.

"Come out here." The dark mare commanded, her tone leaving little room for argument.  "I want your name and I want to know what you're doing here, on my borders at night."

"."

Image Credits

@Rhoa

Icon by Tay

Odd
Open thread. Rhoa lurking at the borders at night time waiting for day and/or someone to find him to bring him to @Ranjiri

I had dosed off for a time, not because I wasn't devoted to waiting here as long as it took to find Ranjiri, but because waiting long periods of time was not my specialty.

I heard the rustle of the grizzly far too late to have avoided it should it plan to attack, but never the less I felt myself jump nearly a foot into the air. Startled, I looked around wide-eyed, peering into the darkness to see a figure looming behind the bear. A figure clad in black with what looked like a bloody stain upon the tip of her horn.

I swallowed hard.

Come out here. I want your name and I want to know what you're doing here, on my borders at night.

Obediently, I moved forward, nodding my head submissively. "Of course ma'am." I began, trying to still my shaky voice caused by my body which was seemingly not over its initial start. Swallowing, I took and breath and exhaled before regarding her once again. I nodded my head respectfully, before raising it and continuing. "It was light when I left the Dragon's Throat. I did not anticipate how long the trip here would take, and I didn't think it prudent to enter your territory at night. My intention was to wait here until morning and then seek entry." I paused, closing my eyes and nodding once again.

"I came to find Ranjiri. Until recently she was a member of the Dragon's Throat as well."

There. I didn't think that sounded like a punishable offense, but out here, who knew? Father certainly held to strict herd rules, and perhaps the Hidden Falls had their own customs that I was unaware of. Perhaps what I took for courtesy was in fact a slight upon this land?

Looking at Ktulu, the red on her horn, and the bear at her side, I certainly hoped not. 

Rhoa

@Ktulu

Ktulu</style>
</style>

The boy was visibly shaken by her and Eytan's sudden appearances and if she were a softer, kinder mare she might have tried to sooth him, to calm him and make him more comfortable. Unfortunately for Rhoa, Ktulu was not a kind, soft mare. Her bloody red eyes remained fixed on him as he tried to gather his wits and calm himself of his own accord. Her tail twitched, silver strands of it slapping against her legs as she waited for him to answer her questions.

He seemed submissive enough when he finally stepped into the moonlight. Ktulu stepped closer so she could have a better view of the stallion from the Dragon's Throat that waited on the border of the Falls. He certainly was tall and well built, but she could hear the youth in his voice as he explained that he'd intended to wait on the border until sunrise before seeking entrance. At least he respected herd borders.

"I came to find Ranjiri. Until recently..."

"I know who Ranjiri is." Ktulu interrupted rather sudddenly. She couldn't help but wonder what the boy wanted with her daughter and she intended to find out one way or another. Why would he fly nonstop from the Dragon's Throat all the way to the Hidden Falls? "What do you want with her?" Ktulu asked. There was no way that she would send Eytan to find Ranjiri and bring her to the border until she knew what the unknown stallion was, which brought up another point. He hadn't told her his name as she had requested. "Who are you?"

"."

Image Credits

@Rhoa

Icon by Tay

Odd

Her words interrupt my own, and despite my unease I have to swallow back a grunt of frustration. Haven't I been polite? Waiting on their borders? What rush is this mare in, such that finishing my sentence eats away at too much of her time? I keep these thoughts to myself, and merely nod my head submissively.

"I wish to speak with her. She left the Throat abruptly, saying goodbye to only a few. I wished to say my own goodbye, and to perhaps know the reason why she left." I paused, wondering how much to reveal. The similarities between the two mares had not yet struck me, which was perhaps a blessing. Had I known I was speaking to Ranjiri's mother, I might have been a great deal more on edge than I already was.

"We are friends." I added after a moment, fighting through the urge to say were friends, and instead poising us in a much more hopeful light.

As the mare drew attention to the fact that I hadn't actually introduced myself yet, I laughed. The sound was good natured and genuine. Here I was, the diplomatic son of Sohalia and I hadn't even bothered to offer up a name, only my silly boyish needs.

"Apologies. I am Rhoa of the Dragon's Throat." One of my wings swept forwards, towards my chest, and I arched my head over it in a polite bow. As my sea-green gaze rose, the words and you are? rose on my lips, but I held them back. Given the abruptness with which this conversation was proceeding, I decided that keeping things as brief as possible was likely my best course of action.

Rhoa

@Ktulu

Ktulu</style>
</style>

This time, as Rhoa spoke, Ktulu remained silent and didn't interrupt him. He explained his reasoning for flying to the Falls and that he was friends with Ranjiri, but she was sure that her daughter would have said goodbye to the ones that she cared about- she was soft like that. That her daughter didn't say goodbye to Rhoa only made Ktulu assume that her friendship with him was not as important as her friendship with the ones she had apprently said her goodbyes to. She, however, kept herself from voicing her opinion because while she was not kind and soft and mother she was also not cruel without due cause.

"Apologies. I am Rhoa of the Dragon's Throat."

Finally he gave his name and Ktulu nodded her head in return to the young stallion.  "I am Ktulu, Champion of the Hidden Falls." She said in return before turning her eyes down toward Eytan.  "Find Ranjiri and bring her here." She said to the bear. He nodded his head then turned and disappeared into the darkness as he went off in search of the hybrid girl.

But Ktulu was curious and while she had time before her daughter showed up she had one very simple question for the boy.  "If you're just friends, why would you fly all the way here just to say goodbye?" She was a bit suspicious that there was more to his story than he was letting on, but she wanted to hear it from him to be sure. 

"."

Image Credits

Icon by Tay

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
give me hope in the darkness
so that I will see the light

I was nearly asleep when Bear found me and nudged my leg. At first I ignored him because I was tired and just wanted to sleep, but he was insistent. He kept nudging at my legs and no matter how I shifted or moved he wouldn't just lay down and go to sleep like I hoped he would. "Stop it, Bear." I mumbled sleepily, but he wouldn't. I tried to shove him away, but he grunted and growled and started pulling at my tail and I started to wake up. As my mind started to come out of the fog of sleepiness I started to wonder why Bear was acting the way he was.

I flicked my tail to pull it out of Bear's grasp then I turned around to face him. "What?" I asked, because the more awake I was the more I suspected that he was trying to tell me something. He growled at me again then turned and started toward the border. I frowned and started after him, suddenly worried that he had come to get me because momma needed me. I couldn't think of anything that she'd need me for, though. I wasn't a fighter and I wasn't a healer. All I could do was build stuff with stone and I doubted that she needed me to build anything for her.

Bear moved quickly and I trotted after him so I wouldn't lose sight of him. We came upon Momma rather quickly and I moved to her side. "....Momma?" I asked, because I still hadn't figured out why she'd want me. She glanced at me then looked back toward the border, which made me follow her gaze. it was then that I finally noticed him.

"Rhoa?" I gasped his name, shocked that he would be on the border at night. "Why...? What are you doing here?" I had taken a step closer to him then stopped. Momma touched her muzzle to my side then turned and went back in the direction that I had come from. I watched her for a second before I turned my gaze back to Rhoa. "Are you okay?"

"."
Image Credit

@Rhoa

aud pixel!

Odd

I am mildly surprised at the compliance the bear demonstrates towards a creature who would normally have been its prey. I know that companion and bonded bonds do change the nature of certain relationships, but to see a horse dominate the bear so easily (even one as intimidating as Ktulu is) is strange to say the least. Still, I am pleased, for it seems that my request has been granted.

Her question catches me off guard, and I feel my head comically tilting too far to the side as if confusion has literally filled my skull up and is now tipping it. "Well...you see.." A breath. A pause. "I left once without saying goodbye to her and I promised I would never do that again. I know that this is her leaving but...It feels the same. It feels as though something should be said." I answer, no hesitation or embarrassment present in my voice now that I have begun speaking.

....Momma?

I feel my knees grow weak. Momma, as in Ktulu is her mother? My sea green gaze rises to try and search out the eyes of the Constrictor, wondering if I will see a bemused smile there or a scowl.

I'm an idiot.. I grown mentally.

"I-" A stutter. Get a grip"I'm fine." I say steadily, watching Ktulu disappear into the darkness - which is more of a relief than I care to admit. 

Alone now, I focus on Ranjiri. Her first question almost stinging the back of my eyes: why are you here? Why am I here? "Why am I here?" More endless staring, as if waiting for her to laugh because of how absurd her question was. "You left and didn't say goodbye. I thought - " What was it that I had thought? That she shouldn't do to me what I did to her? That she owed me, especially after what I had done. And that, naively, Am I the reason you left?

"I just wanted to say goodbye."

Rhoa
@Ktulu

"I- I'm fine. Why am I here? You left and didn't say goodbye. I thought-"

I wanted to interrupt him and say that I did say my goodbyes. I said goodbye to Cera and to Gaucho. They were the ones I had wanted to see before I'd left the Throat. I had thought about saying goodbye to Rhoa, but then I'd dismissed that thought. What did it matter if I said goodbye or not, he already had another family to worry about. He had a child that should take up the majority of his time,

I glanced back in the direction that Momma had gone and I wished that she would come back and tell Rhoa to leave. I'd had enough crying and fretting over my decision to leave the Throat... I was tired and didn't want to think about it anymore. But I knew that even though she might be watching me to make sure I was okay she wouldn't come back to save me from the discomfort of this meeting with Rhoa. It was something I was going to have to handle on my own.

"I'm sorry." I murmured as I turned my attention back to Rhoa. "I didn't-"

"I just wanted to say goodbye."

"I didn't think it was important." I bluted out. "I didn't think it would matter to you whether or not you said goodbye to me." But why? Why didn't I think it would matter to him? Probably because he'd left me before without thinking about me. It made me wonder if I'd done to him what he'd done to me out of spite and it made me frown. I'd even told him that it wasn't that hard to say goodbye and yet here we were, standing face to face because ...

Goodbye.

Because he wanted to do the right thing when I hadn't... and I didn't want to say it because I didn't want him to go.

"."
Image Credit

@Rhoa

aud pixel!

Odd

She says the words I'm sorry, but they sound just like that: words. As she continues, every syllable that falls from her lips feels like a stone in my gut. I try to hide the shock and dispair that I feel inside. I'm not sure if I"m doing a good job or not - the only ever time I've experienced such horrid rejection was when Mother and Ivezho left, but of course, there was no one around to see those silent tears.

But now there was, and she was right before me.

But she didn't care.

I swallowed hard.

I had accepted a life without my twin. I had accepted a life without a companion despite the fact that my soul cried out for another constantly. But somehow this felt harder than all of that. More fresh and deep and -

I had told her on the beach that I missed her, and she had laughed at me, her eyes full of confusion. Glacia was a distant mistake in my mind - Khvasir a child who seemingly needed nothing from me. Was that what made it so easy to forget that mistake? Because they had forgotten me as well? Had Ranjiri forgotten? Did she even care? Was I being selfish in thinking any of this - her reaction - had to do with me? Was it possible that she just didn't care about me, regardless of what I had done? That those things only added to her general dislike of me?

Had I really read her so wrong?

I had thought..

I had hoped.

I had told her I missed her once upon a time. And here I was telling her I wanted to say goodbye. Both times though, what I meant was I love you.

"I see." I finally manage to mumble, stupidly. My words feel as thick as my vision does, as if the tears that threaten to push themselves forward are also blocking my vocal chords. "I'm sorry for waking you up in the middle of the night then. I had meant to wait until morning-" Rambling. I'm rambling, but the words are the only things that are preventing my knees from buckling and my eyes from overflowing. If I keep talking, it isn't quite goodbye. If I keep talking..

"-but Ktulu, your mother, I had no idea that she was - anyway - she came along, you see. And so.." Finally, my lips shut and my gaze rose slightly to find hers. I must look like such a fool, on the edge of her new home, in the dark, mumbling about having met her mother, my voice sounding nonchelant but with undertones of the type of hysteria that comes with grief. 

"And so-" I repeated, losing my train of thought. Her eyes were too distracting to speak, and the words I didn't think it was important pounding in my ears. 

Rhoa
@Ktulu

I wished it was darker. I wished there was no moonlight so I couldn't see the look on Rhoa's face when I spoke so thoughtlessly. I wished i couldn't see it because it made my heart ache and I hated myself for hurting him. I hated myself for not saying goodbye, for not thinking it was important, for not thinking that it mattered to him. "I'm sorry..." I said again, because what else could I say? I didn't know how to make it right, especially when, with him standing there in front of me, I didn't want to say goodbye.

I didn't think I could feel any worse, but then he started talking and I knew what he was doing. I had done it before-- talking and talking and talking to hold back all the feelings of hurt. Talking to keep from crying. Talking to avoid problems. Talking to try to keep the world from falling apart. I hated how it felt and I hated that I had made it happen to Rhoa. "I'm so sorry...."

When his eyes rose to meet mine I stood there like an idiot, staring at him and wishing that I knew what to do.

"...until morning..."

i'm so sorry Rhoa, I didn't meant to hurt you.

"...your mother..."

Please forgive me. I didn't mean to...

"And so... and so..."

"Rhoa..." I said his name, but I couldn't think. I didn't know what I wanted to say and I'd apologized so many times already. My mind was blank and all I knew was that I didn't want to watch him walk away. I stepped forward, hesitated because I didn't know if he was going to back away or not ... but ...

He had come after me all the way to the Falls. He had to care.

So I moved so I could press myself against his chest and I hoped that he wouldn't push me away. I hoped that he would hold me even though I'd hurt him. "I don't want to say goodbye." I murmured, because by that point I'd given up on thinking and had decided to let my instincts guide me. "Stay with me..."

"."
Image Credit

@Rhoa

[url=http://helovia.net/member.php?action=profile&uid=1941][/url]

aud pixel!

Odd

I shake my head. You don't need to apologize, that shake says. I'm the idiot who woke you up in the middle of the night, not realizing you intentionally left me behind. A smile - a pained one - parts my lips and I try to interrupt her, not wanting to hear her apologize. In my ears it sounds patronizing, now that it's all clear.

"No need to apologize. It's my fault. I should have realized.." Then I did laugh, a tortured and jaded sound. "I mean, you did say goodbye, didn't you? Father said you told me you were leaving." I left the rest unsaid. I didn't need to explain it to her - she was the one who chose who to say goodbye to, after all.

Suddenly she's stepping forward and I think that she means to give me a pity hug and send me on my way. But then her body is against mine - her chest against my own (I realized I lowered my head to accept her embrace without even thinking). I can feel her beginning to speak, and I wait to hear something like, Goodbye Rhoa, or perhaps optimistically Fine, stay here tonight and go back in the morning - and because I'm hearing these things in my head, I almost miss what it is that she is saying.

It takes my mind a few moments to catch up - to play back her words to make sure that I've heard them correctly and that I'm not just imposing my desires and needs onto her. Part of me wants to ask her why she left then? Why say she didn't want to say goodbye, and then just leave me? Why ask me to stay with her (for how long? where?), when we've only been a few hundred meters away from each other for the past few weeks. But of course that part is entirely annihilated the first time I feel her take a breath: I feel her body press against mine and then release, feel the warm puff of air against my skin, and suddenly I don't care.

I don't care why she left. I don't care whether she was telling the truth when she said she didn't think saying goodbye to me was important, didn't care how long this was to last for, what it meant, or what I did to deserve this.

"Always." I agree readily into her mane, wrapping my long neck around her own and inhaling her scent - already mingled with the scent of the earth for having been here. "I'll stay as long as you like." My wings spread forward, reaching around her shoulders and bathing her in the gently pulsing warm light of my feathers. 

Rhoa
@Ktulu

The silence between when I asked Rhoa to stay and when he finally spoke seemed like it stretched on forever. There was a little bit of optimism because he hadn't pushed me away. I felt his neck over my own, I could hear his breathing, but waiting for him to speak again had me nervous. There were a thousand things running through my head, a million different scenarios ranging from him staying with me to him laughing bitterly and leaving. I didn't know what I would do if he hugged me then said goodbye and left. There was no one in the Falls that I could talk to about such a personal matter.

I not only wanted Rhoa to stay with me, I needed him to stay.

"Please." I whispered against his neck and in the process I almost missed his always. I breathed a sigh of relief and I could feel tears stinging my eyes. I think part of me expected him to leave. I expected him to do to me the same thing my father had done to my mother and I was so relieved and happy that he hadn't I couldn't find my voice for a few seconds. I could only breathe and exist...

"I'll stay as long as you like."

"Always." I finally whispered. "I want you to stay always." I realized that I would be taking him away from his family in the Throat, which was the precise reason I had come back to the Falls-- to be closer to my family but love has a funny way of making you do things you wouldn't normally do. And it has a funny way of sneaking up on you and then pouncing that leaves your head spinning and your heart racing. It doesn't make sense and it doesn't need to...

"... I think I love you."

"."
Image Credit

@Rhoa

aud pixel!

Odd
My anxiety, the feeling of crippling rejection, of the despair and loneliness that I had only known once before that had appeared so quickly in my heart - all of it was gone, replaced with a buoyancy that I couldn't possibly hope to describe. My body felt strong and weak all at the same time, as if I could fly forward and yet was sure that should Ranjiri shove be, I would topple over. I felt like laughing and screaming and crying. I wanted to stare into Jiji's eyes, but then again I couldn't possibly pull myself away from her.

I heard myself laugh into her mane, unable to help or hide it any longer. The laugh was one of relief and utter joy, but it was also quiet: meant only for her. 

This morning I had left the Throat thinking...well, thinking that I would return to it. I hadn't known what the outcome of this goodbye would be (certainly never in a million years had I thought of this), but I had always assumed that I would return. Now, that assumption slipped easily from my mind. I didn't care where we were - she could have asked me to stay in the Frozen Arch with her and I would have. The where didn't matter, only the who mattered.

And Ranjiri had always mattered to me.

... I think I love you.

I couldn't help the way my lips pulled back, hurting my cheeks that was how wide my smile was. I'm sure I looked stupid and boyishly naive, but what did that matter? I buried my muzzle in the tendrils of her mane and exhaled a breath I hadn't realized I had been holding. It felt as though a piece of my soul was being pulled on, as I pulled back from her. Only a step - a kept my wings folded around her shoulders, but for this, I needed to see her face. Her eyes.

"I know I love you." I whispered, my voice once again composed despite the fact that I could have equally screamed that sentence for all of the Falls to hear. Then I stepped forwards, my muzzle reaching for her own. But it didn't stop there: my lips trailed up her cheek towards her ear, down the crest of her neck and to her shoulders, making pitstops in her mane, all the while whispering, "I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you.."

Rhoa
@Ktulu

He laughed. He laughed, but it wasn't the bitter sound that I had anticipated when I'd imagined what could happen. Instead it sounded like a laugh of relief, of happiness. It was low, quiet, and I was sure that even if Momma was watching us she wouldn't hear it. I felt a million different things all at once. I felt stupid for thinking that Rhoa didn't care, relief and happiness that he did, excitement that he wanted to stay, sadness that I was taking him away from his family, hope for the future...

"I know I love you."

And joy that he loved me.

He kept whispering I love you over and over again and everytime he did it made my heart flutter. I'd heard from others that they loved me before, but it was always after I'd said it first. It was always an I love you, too and it never made me as happy as hearing I love you from Rhoa. I never believed it so whole-heartedly and readily as I did when it came from him and I didn't know why.

"I love you, too." I whispered because now that it had been said, now that it had been put to words I had no doubt about it. There was no 'I think I love you' there was only I love you and it felt amazing. It felt right and for the first time in a long, long time I felt truly happy.

"Come on." I murmured as I pulled myself out of Rhoa's embrace even though I could have gladly stayed there forever. "Lets go home."

"."
Image Credit

@Rhoa

aud pixel!