the Rift

[PRIVATE] Between a rock...

Calder Posts: 23
Absent Abyss atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1hh :: 6 (Birdsong) HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Kiki
C A L D E R

Birdsong was welcome this year.  The dappled stallion was more than happy to see the chest-high snowdrifts fade into mere wisps of ice and the green of spring retake this place.  About damn time, he thought to himself.  To be honest, he didn’t mind the cold.  He never had.  But he knew someone that did, and for that he was pleased to see Frostfall left behind.

Calder felt fairly abashed over the fact that, aside from the winter that had destroyed his homeland, this past Frostfall had been the longest he’d ever lived through.  Did it have to be the winter when he’d promised sanctuary to a frightened woman and she’d come for blood when it was evident that said sanctuary was at the very top of the world.  Sure, she was safe from danger but now she had to fight off nature’s frozen fingers.  Still, that night with the near-frozen Elspeth tucked into his side (having fallen asleep as he rambled on about his homeland) inspired the dappled stallion to do something productive about the poor mare’s distaste for the cold.  He’d gone to Johnny the very next morning and had had a request for the wee candy-man.  He wasn’t sure what possessed him to do such a thing, but at the same time he had some idea.

The wee man had told Calder that his request would be ready for him when Birdsong came, and the tiny weaver had been true to his word. Only yesterday Calder had gone to pick up his request and marveled at the stallion’s handiwork, pleased that he’d been able to accommodate all of his requests.  Stashing the gift in a dry spot between two boulders, he raised his antlered skull and his blue eyes flicked over the familiar landscape.

Now he just had to find Elspeth.  Calder was surprised how easy it had been to speak to the lass, considering he hadn’t told anyone else in Helovia how he’d come to be here.  He wasn’t sure how much she’d heard since the wee thing had all but passed out from a mixture of cold and exhaustion as soon as she was comfortable, but he’d felt comfortable sharing with her just the same. He knew she’d not be far.  He wondered if he’d done the right thing in bringing her here as his thoughts drifted back to the skirmish at the meeting the pair had witnessed.  He remembered the discomfort rolling off the lass in waves.  He remembered the discomfort in his own gut.  He was unaccustomed to politics and the like, but this was the only home he knew here.  He was offered sanctuary here, and he extended the very same offer to Elspeth.  He hoped he had not been mistaken in doing so.  Shaking away the troubling thoughts, Calder redoubled his efforts in finding the little lass. 

He called out to her when he drew closer, trotting over in a deceivingly graceful manner for one so large. “Elspeth!” he said, dipping his head in greeting, “Are ye well, lass? Keepin’ warm enough, I hope,” he added, with a throaty chuckle. 

@Elspeth
Please tag Calder in all posts.
Force & magic are permitted but please check before inflicting severe and/or permanent damage.
Pixel by Sourful

Elspeth Posts: 40
Absent Abyss
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 7 years
Sarah
'cause though the truth may vary
this ship will carry our bodies safe to shore

I hadn’t been doing anything really, grazing in a small patch of sunlight on the young plants. The cold season had been harder on me and not just for the chill - I was unaccustomed to searching for food beneath snow and had wandered south in search of something edible. The lines of my bones were faint but noticeable beneath my cream coat and now that there was more food available I was incredibly self-conscious of it. I wanted to eat the Basin bare to return the soft swell to my sides and remove the harsh edges to my hips.

An unrealistic goal, but I ate like the snow was going to come back any second and cover up what there was.

I saw him before I heard his approach - the mountain-sized stallion was easy to spot and I whickered a soft greeting to him as he approached. I felt a bond to him - grown only stronger since I had fallen asleep curled into his side on a bitterly cold night. I had heard some of his story and had fallen asleep to the soothing sound of his voice, weaving pictures for me so that I dreamed about it - only now I wasn’t sure what was part of the dream and what had been truth.

His words and chuckle inspired a rolling of my eyes and a shake of my head. “Oh sure, it’s funny to you! You’re practically a mountain goat with that coat.” I snap back at him but it was without any malice or real effort and the grin in my golden eyes negated any harsh edge to it anyway. I avoid his question about whether I was well, because I honestly was trying to figure that out myself. The chaos of that herd meeting still had me unsettled and I had been avoiding many of our herd mates since - unwilling to tether myself to such a volatile group. But my isolation brought further uncertainty into the mix - how could I expect protection from this herd if I did not immerse myself into the group?

As kind as Calder had been so far, I did not think to burden him with the true answer to his question. So instead I smiled gently. “But I have been thawing out, slowly. It’s good to feel the sun bring warmth again. Although the nights are still cool.” Quickly, my eyes look away from him and I felt the rush of heat in my face. I had been too embarrassed to come find him again after that one night, as tempting as the heat of his body had been, because I had not wanted to be a burden on him - invading his private space night after night and demanding he be my own personal heater.

Quickly though, I move on and turn the subject back to him. “I trust you’ve been keeping well and warm?”

Elspeth

image by Kiki <3

@Calder
[Image: 5706a739b3d7b]
please tag Elspeth in all replies

Calder Posts: 23
Absent Abyss atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1hh :: 6 (Birdsong) HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Kiki
C A L D E R

He took a moment to subtly appraise the mare, as if to make sure the wee thing was still in one piece.  He’d been on Edge for a number of reasons, so was pleased when he found her to be in working order.  Calder was concerned, however, when he realized that all of her soft edges had been sharpened by the bitter, everlasting winter.  Guilt bloomed hot and fast in his chest.  He had been the one that had brought her this far north, promising sanctuary.  He just hoped that perhaps Elspeth had found something other than hardship here amongst the mountains.  He wasn’t sure he’d be able to forgive himself if he had unknowingly brought the lass to danger. 

He’d been expecting something from the little spitfire, but he’d never been compared to a goat before.  “Nearly,” he said, easily, “But the goats climb verra well up a sheer rock face.  I dinna think I’ll be tryin’ that anytime soon.” He said with a smirk, meeting her zest with his own brand of humor.  

Little did Elspeth know that Calder had many of the same doubts.  He was a passionate beast, to be sure, but not one to so such disrespect in the face of others.  God knows his pa would have given him a thrashing if he’d ever spoken out so rudely at a meeting of the elders.  He probably wouldn’t even give him a thrashing.  He’d have just been disappointed in him and sent him away to his mother which would have been even more shameful.  Though he had found some camaraderie with the wee candy man responsible for crafting the things for the herd, he couldn’t help but feel like an outsider.  He knew he bore much of the fault in that.  He had foolishly assumed he would find a place here similar to the home he had lost.  He found when things fell short of his expectations, his first inclination was to withdraw.  It was so unlike him, and he bore a fair amount of resentment towards his own behavior as a result. He needed to do better, for both his own sake and make even for Elspeth’s too.  He had promised her something akin to a family.  Who was he to make those promises to her or to anyone if he couldn’t even engage with those in his own damn herd?

But today wasn’t a day for politics.  Today was just about the wee lass and the gift he’d stashed away for her.  His voice lowered slightly and his expression became more serious - concerned even when she looked away.  “Ye need not freeze to death at night, lass.  I ken the caves can be drafty.”  It was a pseudo-invitation and a fact, because Calder’s damn sense of honor kept him from being too forward.  But it did provide him a convenient segway. “But I have just the thing for ye. Follow me,” he said, with the mirth returning to his features and gesturing towards the boulders where he’d stashed the cloak. He trotted over to the giant stones before turning back to Elspeth (to ensure she hadn’t run away, perhaps screaming) and struggled to suppress his excitement.  

With little fanfare he plunged his antlered skull in the crevice between the boulders and emerged with a folded piece of cloth between his lips.  He was pleased to see it was a good match for the patch of cloth the lass wore woven in her tail.  He shook it out and draped the cloak on the smaller of the two boulders so it was well within her reach and gestured to the expanse of plaid. “To keep ye warm when I can’t,” he said, simply, suddenly feeling somewhat insecure and wondering how the lass would react to the gift. 

@Elspeth
Please tag Calder in all posts.
Force & magic are permitted but please check before inflicting severe and/or permanent damage.
Pixel by Sourful

Elspeth Posts: 40
Absent Abyss
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 7 years
Sarah
'cause though the truth may vary
this ship will carry our bodies safe to shore

The mental image of Calder attempting to climb up a sheer rock face was one enough to inspire a smirk of my own to grow in response to his. It was a shame not all of those in the Basin were as easy to talk to as him - it might have been an agreeable herd to live in if that had been the case.

I didn’t really know what to expect when he beckoned me to follow him but I knew that I trusted him to the point where I barely hesitated before doing so. He had, after all, guarded me and kept me warm as I slept through a night - arguably one of the most vulnerable moments I could possibly have around someone. It was hard to mistrust someone who spoke to me as he did, with honesty and sincerity. Sometimes I felt like he watched me as though I was about to bolt in fear but that did not trouble me. How could it? The fear that something would happen and that I would need to run was a constant thought inside of my mind. Not even during sleep could I avoid it.

Perhaps, I considered reasonably, with someone else (someone larger) nearby as I slept I’d be more comfortable - knowing that four ears were on alert instead of just two.

I mulled over his invitation - amused by how indirect it had been - as I followed him toward the boulders. My confused expression only gave way when he pulled something from between them - a beautiful plaid cloth. My golden eyes were admiring it, not putting the fact that it was a gift together until he spoke. Instantly that bright gaze flashed to his face - I was so surprised! For a moment I stand there, uncertain about what to say, before my mind finally tried to catch up. “Oh Calder it’s beautiful. It… it matches my…” This flash flood of an emotional response was probably more than a gift like this really called for - the tears welling in my eyes as I recognized the pattern. It was the same pattern of the cloth tied into my tail, that treacherous and precious piece of material that had caused us to meet in the Threshold - that belonged to my dead mate and family. “I love it.” I managed to get those three words strangled out in a whisper before swallowing the boulder in my throat and getting out two more: “Thank you.”

Elspeth

image by Kiki <3

sorry not sorry had to get one more reply in before their new one <33
[Image: 5706a739b3d7b]
please tag Elspeth in all replies