the Rift

[PRIVATE] take what is ours

Erebos Posts: 474
Aurora Basin General atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1hh :: Four HP: 75.5 | Buff: DANCE
Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather

Erebos
eye on what I'm after

The prince was thankful for the evening, when the darkness hid the sun, when the shadows strolled over his back, when the aurora’s glistening hues all bound together in one sweeping, seething inferno, and he could stare at the hues, pace relentlessly, and carve a name for himself in their colors.

He would someday. There was no question about it, no quandary, no enigma. He’d triumph, he’d conquer, he’d be better, stronger, faster, and wiser than the rest, slashing his sword across their napes, spouting truths and lies, convictions and promises, resolutions and oaths. The certainty had been molded into his brow, into his restless heart, into the gallant, intrepid knighthood gradually wearing itself into a thin line – one more step over the dashed sanction and he’d be a blackguard, proud and belligerent, seething and unattainable. But he’d be where he craved, where he twisted, where he contorted, deep in those wily calculations, in those carnivore machinations, swindling any force, any enemy, any opponent who deigned to get in his way. It’d be glorious, he told himself as Orsino and he stretched across the blank canvas, as they stole the midnight shades of the evening and wore them like a cloak, beautiful and commanding, a warrior intent on destruction.

Then he smiled, reaching his destination with a wild, effervescent grin, possessing the lake all to himself. The sable kitsune at his side glinted, emboldened too, audacious in the presence of everything and anything, lingering along the embankment as Erebos found a location suitable to his task. Instead of thrusting his rapier, his frame, his figure, out along the water, poised to destroy, to ruin, to ravage, he knelt down beside a few long blades of grass, curling his forelegs beneath his chest, eyeing the verdant pieces of greenery as if they had just threatened his family. “I haven’t practiced in a long time,” he murmured to the onyx fox, who merely arched a brow, because the boy had rehearsed, polished, all sorts of savage moments and motions; but he knew what he meant through their connection. The scion had neglected other forms of vehemence in his search for prowess and potential; he’d have to utilize all of them in his pursuits.

So the kitsune became quiet, and the youth became incensed, allowing the coiling, the curling, sensation of embers, of brimstone, of legacies scorched and emblazoned, to layer and lacquer down through his skin. They pulsed with vibrancy, with hesitancy (because he’d forgotten their power, their sensation), until he carved a bestial hold on them and felt the invocations surge at the challenge; sparking and sizzling, smoldering and seething – and when he pressed his maw on the length of grass, he watched them ignite into a conflagration. Orsino, wiser than the boy, swept a series of water droplets upon the blaze before they ate away at the ground, before they ran rampant through the Basin and caught everything on fire. Thereafter, when everything had dimmed, they glanced at one another and pieced together the same notion, motion.

Again.

Art by Yew

@Kiada

Kiada Posts: 181
World's Edge Nurse
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 2 years - Birdsong
Khairi :: Leucistic Lammergeier :: Paralyze Skylark
It's said she's made of storm cells
and a wild wolf's hungry heart
Kianzo was perpetually always upset with the filly. And with the silent treatment the colt had been giving her, she had decided to not try and make amends. If her other half was upset at her experiences without him, that was his problem. She had much to do without him, meet more people, learn little things here and there. She was like a sponge as a child, soaking up any bit of information that anyone threw her way – right or not. The filly constantly craved more information. She wouldn’t gain that standing beside Kianzo as he insulted everyone.

She took off on her own again, despite Khairi bouncing alongside her. He had gained more power in his legs, his fluff beginning to change and fall out as mottled black and white feathers took place. His beak was large and black and his once black eyes were beginning to change again into carrying more of a redish hue. He was growing larger, just as she was, and he was craving to learn how to try and fly. The vulture was tired of being the attachment to the filly and instead tried to focus on becoming useful – remembering how upset Kiada had gotten when Albrecht had asked her and her brother which one of them was the better hunter. Khairi was determined, just as Kiada was, they were going to show them what they were made of one day.

Trudging through the sunset painted landscape, her and her companion bounded over to the lake once again. At first, the idea was to get a small drink of water, maybe bathe a little bit and see how the flames on her back reacted to water – if they’d leave or not. She wasn’t sure, so it was time to figure out what exactly the extent of her useless magic was. She hadn’t even noticed the shadows alongside the rim of the lake. The little spotted filly just bounced her way to the water, flames along her back flickering to resemble her angry thoughts as angered wolves, jaws snapping together as the flames licked around their teeth.

But something caught her eye, and the filly turned to spot it just as she was going to put an ink splotched hoof in the water. There was some form of light, a spark almost, a combustion and flame – and then it was gone! Of course curiosity swept over the filly. She bounded over to where the flames had been, quickly letting her oceanic gaze sweep across the ebony stallion and the companion of his that looked like a fox. Tilting her head she smiled at them with her pink splotched lips as Khairi finally caught up, using his wings as balance to keep him alongside her leg. “Hi! What’re you doing?” She questioned brilliantly, extending her neck out to the man for a few moments searching his topline for tiny plumes of flames like the ones that resided alongside her back. She was disappointed to see that no such thing existed on the stallion causing her ears to waver uncertainly. “I thought I saw fire. I thought you might have magic like mine.” Kiada’s voice held a hint of defeat within the musical tones as she went to retreat. “Sorry if I bothered you.” The filly frowned, letting her gaze linger on the ebony stallion again.

"Talk."
that she's learnt the lightning's secret—
to ripping darkened skies apart.
Kiada
image | coding

@Erebos HERE EREBOS, HAVE A SAD CHILD.

IT'S SAID SHE'S MADE OF STORM CELLS
AND A WILD WOLF'S HUNGRY HEART,
THAT SHE'S LEARNT THE LIGHTNING'S SECRET
TO RIPPING DARKENED SKIES APART.

Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather

Erebos
eye on what I'm after

The intensity snaked at his seams, tying and knotting, gnarling and coiling, over the ramparts of his invocations. He summoned them again and again, waited for the inferno at one, sinuous, glorious touch upon a tall blade, watched it simmer, crumple, wither into blackened bits and fade into the midnight allure. Orsino would extinguish it, then they’d start anew, and the boy’s eyes reflected the majesty, the beauty, and the danger before him, blue orbs turned red, flickering and disastrous. Eventually, the movements were swift, quick, rapid, unfolding in tempestuous beats, turbulent swirls, and he’d control them with an instant monstrosity, bending to the commands of Orsino’s fiendish faster, faster. The savagery would radiate, pervade, and glisten, massive and momentous, and he wondered, pondered, how devastating it could be when it rippled across the hides of his opponents, as it whittled down their pelts, as it made them cry out in agony, in misery, in defeat, as they bowed against the ground and withered away to nothing. At his last, marvelous flame, both demons laughed, and only extinguished the beautiful, noxious bloom of treachery and vehemence when another’s movements came from beyond – drawn back into darkness, into shadow, into Stygian wares and subterfuge daggers.

It’d been too late though. They’d been spotted, heralding another who was drawn to flames (a moth?), who was sculpted from fire (he glanced at her back, watched the embers lick the air, fanned by nothing but her existence). The boy ignored the bird for now (but Orsino didn’t, beginning his feral hissing and growling before they were even a yard away), rendering and riveting his stare, back to its oceanic depths (blue, blue, and blue, like his mother’s, like his father’s, no longer ensconced in combustion), towards the child. He didn’t know her. He didn’t recognize her markings, her form, or her figure – and since they were striking, full of ash and brimstone, he would’ve remembered her if she’d hastened across his view; but he’d been too preoccupied to dance and waltz with the newest crop of babes and foals. Instead of playing amidst their gatherings or laughing with their antics, providing them with some new ones, he’d been battling, chipping away at the realm, awaiting a moment for justice and revenge, chasing down fiends and infidels too much like himself. The prince missed those days more often than not, when all they did was learn and neglect, feast their eyes on the empire like it was theirs for the taking, giggle and chortle, snort and guffaw, gallop across the vast plains without a single worry for the world, for the future. They’d been carefree, savage and wanting, craving absolution and defiance, and when they’d finally received it, when they’d seen the empires for what they truly were…the results had been shattering.

So he smiled, grinned, smirked, and pretended he hadn’t been up to no good, training for moments when his enemies would beg him for mercy (and he’d leave them in the dust, in the ashes, smoking and smoldering, sculpted down into nothing). “I’m practicing my magic.” He glanced at her, the bold features, the spotted hind, the pale forelock, then the dark tassels, speculating on where she’d come from. “I can summon fire, but not like you.” The boy winked, childish and juvenile again, curled amidst the wild grass, born upon the solid, stoic earth, an heir, a scion, a warrior meant for decadence, appeasing the girl who was already coated in flame. “Is it always there? Does it hurt?” He swung his crown towards her spine, where the element burned, intriguing and enigmatic. 

Art by Yew

@Kiada

World's Edge Nurse
The sadness she felt when she realized she had made a mistake began to reflect in the flames that lingered on her back. They grew and formed into tiny elephants with small trunks that reached and flickered with flame, as if reaching for something that wasn’t there. Their ears flapped and shifted with each wave of flame. But she kept her eyes on him, despite the incessant hissing coming from the man’s companion. Kiada didn’t even pay him any mind. Khairi kept a watchful raptor’s gaze on him, however, tucking his wings into his sides but still being at the ready if he needed to get away.

But something happened that Kiada wasn’t expecting. The ebony stag smiled at her. “I’m practicing my magic.” He admitted to her. Hope began to sparkle in her oceanic gaze as she looked upon him, searching for evidence and finally she saw the little burnt embers of where a fire had been not that long ago. Anticipation began to flow within her, shifting the fiery elephants into little rabbits. Her gaze flickering along the boy as he continued. “I can summon fire, but not like you.” She felt hopeful. He was like her – just it wasn’t permanent and always showing unable to be turned off. She offered him a small smile. “Really?” It came out in a squeak as her eyes glimmered with hope. But then, he proceeded to ask a question that she was used to by now. A common question, both by her brother, Virga, Ru’in, Romina. Everyone she came in contact with – aside from her Mother. But she had fond memories of her birth where her mother had furiously tried to put the fire out – and when it hadn’t left she had realized that the princess she had birthed was gifted from birth.

Slowly, she nodded to his first question, but shook her head to his second, her ivory forelock flicking to the opposite side of her ink dipped face. “No. It doesn’t hurt. It’s always there. I can’t turn it off, but I’ve been trying to control it!” She said with a bigger smile, excitement flowing within her chest. “It’s related to how I’m feeling.” Her tiny black tuft of a tail began to wag slightly as she explained, excited to tell the colt her plans of being a Queen one day and how she had to learn how to control the magic that roamed her spine. “It’s hard to do, but one day I’ll be a queen and by then I’ll be able to control my moods, I hope.” She grinned a wolfish grin to Erebos. “My name’s Kiada and I’m a princess! Who are you?” She asked, tail wiggling again as she nearly pranced in place. Khairi broke his gaze with the kitsune to look up at his bonded with an almost confused look.

Never before had she introduced herself as a princess, but now was as good a time as any. Kianzo had already told many people he’s a prince, so what was to stop her from admitting her regal lineage as well?

"Talk."
Kiada
image | coding

@Erebos IM SO EXCITED IDK WHY

Erebos
eye on what I'm after

Erebos would always admit to being fascinated by another’s power. Magic and invocations on their own were intriguing, enticing, and alluring, because they seemed so vast, so endless, so potent and persuasive. He knew his own capabilities and talents, had dug deep into the unrelenting core of his stature, understood what was nestled down in the depths of his veins and the fury of his heart, but to witness what others had, how others could strike, how others could command, demand, and unleash was an entirely different, fascinating emblem, and his gaze rendered all captivation as her fires altered. They could become all sorts of things – the boy watched, eager, fervent fascination lit upon his face, his Cheshire grin, as she morphed the flames to an assemblage of distortions: elephants flapping their massive ears, rabbits hopping, flickering as she described how they were determined by her mood. If she became angry, did they take the shape of an enormous beast? If she were sad, did they wilt, cry, send sparks and shards of tears? He was utterly riveted by the strange embers that didn’t hurt, that didn’t flay, that didn’t burn and seethe and tear down the world – just simply existed, a vector of the child’s choosing.

Her excitement was catching, and the boy steadfastly ignored Orsino’s griping for the zealous, ardent foils of sagacity and freedom. Perhaps her enchantments were much like his ability to stay still upon water, only wielded and beneficial to him, to her, not harming, not maiming, anyone else. They’d been gifted and anointed in various ways, and the notion of such consecrations made his smile soften, a more boyish, youthful glow instead of a fox bearing his teeth. “Very interesting,” he stated, meaning the phrase entirely, rising from his curled, prone position and regaining his strong, virile stature, continuing to stare on the rim and fringes of her back, tilting his crown from side to side in quiet perusal. “But it doesn't hurt anyone. Hm.” The gentle blue of his eyes rummaged over hers, pondering over the use of the inferno – wanting to tell her of his own abilities, how much more he’d be and what he’d become, but she’d already begun grinning and unraveling, removing composure for excitement, straining to delight in tales of names and princesses.

The grin remained, and a low chuckle glided from his throat, thoroughly amused. She could’ve been for all he knew – it seemed every land had a King, had a Queen, and he only trusted his sire was not the girl’s. She could’ve been born to any wilderness, any peak, any hidden hill, and he nearly asked her of her parentage, of whom she called father, of whom she heralded mother, which rulers sent their children to the Basin (heirs to ice and caverns; they’d all once been, before they were picked and torn apart by time, by space, by cretins). He entreated her, lowered his cranium to stare at her fully, to fixate his gaze on hers again, charming and charismatic, effervescent and obliging, pretending that the name of royalty, that the lineage and legions of sovereignty, ever truly mattered in the scheme of Helovia and its dark, blackened outreaches. “I’m Erebos, and I’m a prince.”

He paused, delighting in the play, in the youthful ambience, of days and children who hadn’t been lost to the foreboding acrimony of the lands. “When you are Queen,” he winked, wondering how far she’d actually climb up those throne steps, if she’d trip, if she’d stumbled, if someone else would claim the position well before her and if she’d push them off a cliff for her coronet, “What sort of flame will you show your subjects?”

Art by Yew

@Kiada

World's Edge Nurse
He seemed so interested in her, so intrigued by her and her magic. It caused a pride complex to begin to grow in the chest of the filly, and she puffed the buckskin tones of her breast out like she had seen Thranduil do – pride emulating from her to the flames flickering upon her spine. They licked out like fingers, morphing and shifting into lions with long flowing manes of flame. His voice rumbled to her and her ivory rimmed ears cupped to him as her gaze studied his face. Then, he was quiet, studying her. Normally, the filly would’ve been a bit self-conscious over the entire ordeal, but this was different. This was invigorating, exciting, entrancing. She stayed quiet as well, watching him in return when he began his next question. Kiada simply shook her head, but this time not letting her shame get the better of her.

Erebos continued to grin and Kiada continued to stuff her chest out like a proud bird. She had explained her lineage, excited in her prosperity and prospects of the royalty that swam through her veins. The little child didn’t understand the concept of being only half royal, and perhaps one day she might know, but for now she was blissfully ignorant. A beautiful little fool in a world of so many opportunities. He stood and Khairi found himself bounding away from his bonded while he did so – as if to stand back and admire the filly as well. For her aspiration reverberated to the bird and the vulture would be damned if the filly didn’t end up doing what she said she would – he would make sure of it one day. Then, his maw parted and he began to speak once again. “I’m Erebos, and I’m a prince.

Kiada’s jaw dropped slightly as she tilted her head, the little horn situated in her brow catching part of her growing white forelock with the movement. So many questions ran through her tiny skull, wondering who his father was and just what kind of prince he would be. Part of her thought of the stories her mother had told her from where the Thief hailed from. Where princesses were to join princes, and peace were to be created because of such unities. But Kiada was far too young to understand love and the means of war and sacrifice. One day, she’d learn. But today she continued to play the fool. And she found a smile crossing her pink splotched lips as excitement raced through her pulse. “You’re a prince?” She began, her voice enthusiastic and electric. “Who’s your dad?” She asked, bluntly. As far as Kiada knew (aside from Romina and Ru’in) those of royalty had fathers that were kings. For her father was a king, so it made sense, right? “My dad’s the King of the Edge!” She began, shifting and wiggling her tuft of a tail in her excitement.

But the stallion paused, beginning another set of questions for herself and she listened desperately like a person starved in the desert searching for water. Yet, the question he uttered caused her to retrieve her head to her chest as she put away her prideful display – hanging it up for later use as she contemplated her thoughts. “I – I don’t know…” She admitted. The filly hadn’t exactly thought that far ahead yet, but she began to run the scenario in her mind. Her and Kianzo on top of the world, looking down to those that looked upon her for guidance. And suddenly, she began to think of how much joy would fill her breast. But joy wouldn’t be enough to rule, no. She wanted to be the gentle side of the iron fist that was Kianzo. She wanted to be the yin to his yang, where brutality was his forefront and forgiveness was her own but not without reason of course. She would give many a chance and if they failed her, they would be answering to her. And it wouldn’t be a pretty sight. So she imagined the feelings that would sit in her chest then, a mesh of many. Joy, pride, confidence, and finally decided her answer.

Looking up at the colt, she grinned with a stone face upon her onyx skull. “This.” She turned slightly, allowing for easier view of the animals as they flickered in the flame. The lions stayed, but more began to grow. Otters began to shift in places, swimming and spiraling in the air above her spine while griffons began to shift in other places, wings flapping to match the keenness of their feline counterparts. And there she stood, as if she were a queen. With courage as lions and lionesses merging along her back, with otters that swam and jumped with joy, and griffons as an unbearable force of confidence as they hovered over the playful otters and the ever watchful lions.

"Talk."
Kiada
image | coding

@Erebos

Erebos
eye on what I'm after

The boy flickered back into his quiet, studious flame, watching, waiting, a pupil, a scholar, to enriched patterns and diabolical schemes; notions and sentiments first modeled from his father, then battering down his skull in each and every sweeping moment of his life (the ones not filled and fueled by rage). His eyes took in the gestures of her fire – their lion pride waltzing on giant paws, flexing claws, yawning, intending to consume and swallow the world when their mistress grew – and his smile didn’t fray or fall away. It grew slowly, amused, entertained, by the ways their generations always fell into place. There were others following prior footsteps, bounding for glory, for hallelujahs, for triumph, for fragments of victory that seemed eternal and tangible, attainable because they didn’t know better, because they didn’t understand the impact of loss or heartache, betrayal or greed, cunning or bestowal. It’d started the same for her, and he hoped for the girl’s sake she wouldn’t ever come to comprehend the things he’d seen: Gods turned to monsters, murderers craving debauchery, havoc, and bedlam, crumpled forms of those one never had a chance to cherish, the eerie, soul-splitting revelations of wrath (how they intertwined, how they mauled, how they felt just right, echoing and ricocheting, reverberating and resounding). Or maybe she wanted to be a heathen, and Helovia would be the place for it, for there was always someone howling, waiting at the gates, brewing and concocting, hoping for a chance to ruin, to unravel, to strike the weak.

He couldn’t tell what she’d be, not now, when she bounced and buzzed in excitement, revealing and proclaiming her lineage and heritage before he’d even uttered the query. She’d have to be careful, in time, not susceptible to the cunning reaches of those who lavished information just as much as violence, but he took it all in stride, with the same easygoing, charming grin, arching a brow as regally as he could – his veneer the very definition of a prince, hiding all the murky things underneath. “My father is Deimos, the Lord of the Basin.” It was interesting and intriguing to note she’d come from the Edge King’s blood, but didn’t reside there (and he shouldn’t been able to put the pieces together then and there, for he’d fought her mother in the dust and fog, played a part in strengthening the Thief for future endeavors, but he failed to see, to correlate their familiarity). “Do you meet with your dad often?” He inquired, polite, partially curious about the Edge King. The scion had never been told much about him; the only sovereign from the land of clifftops and legends had been Mauja – Tembovu was as much of a mystery as the rest of the layered world.

Then she seemed drawn back into the unknown. Perhaps his question had been too much; she hadn’t seen enough of the sovereigns to decide how they’d bow, how they’d quiver, how they’d tremble in her wake. Erebos was half-tempted to tell her how he would show the realms just what he was capable of – let them see, let them feel, let them touch and taste and know the weight of his fury, of his ferocity, of his quiet, unholy, smoldering contempt and abhorrence, but then she seemed settled, sketching out the fires, the intentions, and he was left to be a witness again. Her infernos were an interesting mix he didn’t quite comprehend; the lions stayed, gaping mouths wide and powerful, joined by griffons (winged beasts he’d dreamed of coveting for himself – Orsino grimaced and growled all at once), and otters, jumping, splashing, playing. Maybe she intended to be a peaceful monarch, reigning in serenity and tranquility, a potent staff at her side for when someone displayed the slightest subversion. He tilted his head to scrutinize them with more conviction, eyeing the grind of potent jaws and the wise, omniscient stares. The warrior so wanted to lace and lance his stroke into the nearest set of brush and tell her I’d show them this and watch as the world erupted into one volcanic, seething plunge; but he’d tied himself to control and composure, to deceit and speciousness, for too long to pull himself apart now. Instead, the charismatic reverie of his nature commanded, demanded, an adequate response, and his tongue toiled, furnished by jubilant tones. “Quite a forceful combination. Will your followers fear or cherish you?”

Art by Yew

@Kiada

World's Edge Nurse
The filly listened eagerly, excitedly hanging onto every word that came from the prince’s mouth. Her eyes were wide, watchful, ever bright against the snow that lined her eyes – reminiscent of her mother, while still carrying the motions and sways of her father. He said that his father was Deimos, Lord of the Basin. She mulled it over, eyes wide and ever so excited, her tuft of an onyx tail flicking as her flames mimicked her emotions. “Wow!” She exclaimed, her tiny heart thumping a soft rhythm against the confines of her chest. She didn’t know what else to add along with her excitement for him. It was neat that his dad was the Lord of the Basin. But how did he feel about that? Did he aspire, like she, to follow in their fathers’ footsteps? Did the prince of night wish to take over the crown that would so rightfully be his, just as she wished to take the throne from a father she hadn’t even met yet? Better yet – what was it like living with your father?

As if he read her mind, he asked if she met with her father often. A soft solemn look cascaded over the tiny filly as she shook her head. Her excitement and shock shifting toward resentment. She spent all this time proclaiming the love of her father, and that he was a King and that made her a pretty big deal. And still, she didn’t even spent the time to think of what Tembovu would think. Would he love her like she assumed Deimos loved Erebos? Would he be willing to stop the world because she asked?

What boundaries were there to a father’s love? Would he be what she expected out of him? Some sort of knight of the darkness, gargantuan and willing to fight the dragons of a harsh life? Or would she be let down, once proclaiming how great her father was and how he was royalty only to succumb to embarrassment at the mere mention of the name?

I haven’t met him yet.” She admitted, a bit shyly. And yet, the conversation continued to shift and adjust as she proclaimed her flames for when she tore down the walls of normality and ruled – imagining that it would be no better place for herself or for her brother. They would rule one day, and would punish those against them. Despite the anger that fueled the filly from the father she had yet to meet, she still stood proud among the flames of otters, gryphons, and wolves. He inspected it, and she felt nothing but what she imagined being claimed a Queen would feel like. Then, his question struck her with a bit more of an intense string of thoughts than the previous interactions.

If they feared her, they would abide her every word for worry of punishment. At this, Khairi cooed ever so quietly in appreciation for the idea. However, if they cherished her, they’d be willing to abide her every word. But did she want to live in a world where those abided out of good nature and heart? Or did she want to punish the possibility of something rising against her? If she stood strong, sharp as a blade with the intensity of a wildfire, would they kneel before her out of better judgement? Or would they die trying to escape the clutches of a world she wanted so desperately to rule? The filly mulled the thoughts over and over in her mind, Khairi giving his two cents in with choosing violence over the possibility of good. And with this in mind, she let her soft gaze harden on Erebos as she puffed out her chest and the wolves along her spine began to swallow the gryphons and otters with sharp, bloodthirsty teeth. “Perhaps both, one day.” She began, narrowing her gaze ever so slightly on the stallion before her. “They’d be smart to stay on my good side.” Kiada flashed him a pearly white grin with a hint of blood lust beneath her pink splattered lips. Then, she turned the question onto the prince of night. "Will you rule one day? Take your fathers place? And if so, will the people of the Basin rally to you? Or will you also rule with an iron fist?" She questioned.

"Talk."
Kiada
image | coding

@Erebos

Erebos
eye on what I'm after

A part of him wondered what it would’ve been like to have never met his father, and it was difficult to fathom. The Reaper had been a key portion of his life since the very beginning, when he opened his eyes and was struck by the very definition of power and might, life and death, corruption and protection, in the form of one singular beast. He’d loved him, cherished him, walked beside him as they roamed the grounds of their winter home, enjoyed his presence and the small, singular touches his sire had to offer – so little but so grand – and he’d never imagined leaving his shadow. It was a massive one to fill, and he’d accompanied it for many seasons, glancing at its definition, at its control, at its ability to seethe and simmer and safeguard all at once. He’d never admonished the Lord’s figure, yearned to eclipse or destroy it – he simply yearned for it to always be there. Would he have grown so strong, so mighty, so ambitious without Deimos nearby? Without his guidance, his shield, his devotion? They were different cretins, different demons, different souls, but he couldn’t imagine a moment without his father, a tower, a Colossus of the Basin, wreaking havoc and distortion by existing, by compelling unholy fathoms, and by rooting himself deep into the core of the wintery earth to ensure their survival. “I’m sure you will, soon enough,” he assured her through all the fires, the flames, the mercies of his mother’s tact and kindness.

But he’d never thought of following in his footsteps, of becoming King and Lord and all mighty ruler of a world frozen and resolved. His ambitions were for power, but of divergent nature: no throne, no crown, no scepter. The howling, ferocious intentions laced and intertwined throughout his core were for vengeance and disaster, plunging those who’d wronged him, his friends, his beloved compatriots, into ruin and rubble. He longed for the fine pinnacles of revolution, where his enemies were slain and torn apart, molded back into dust for the earth to swallow, where he could stomp upon their souls and laugh when everything came apart. He yearned for subversion and sedition, where the worlds of his enemies crumbled and sank into the mud, where he could laugh as they begged for mercy, as they pleaded for their lives (and he wouldn’t give it to them, he decided, he wouldn’t give them a damn thing but the menacing, cheeky glimpse of his Cheshire grin). He desired for the days, the hours, the moments, the instances, where they couldn’t remember who he was and he’d remind them of the lives they took before he took theirs – an eye for an eye, a life for a life. The boy couldn’t help but smile when her words echoed through the halls (they’d be smart to stay on my good side) because it would’ve been wise for anyone to stay on his too, where he loved instead of hated.

“I don’t aspire to it,” he answered her questions honestly, shrugging his shoulders, gazing at the mountains. They were his, all of theirs, in a way – they lived and breathed the chilling air and the summit squalls, protected and safeguarded the frozen earth. “My ambitions come from power, but not for ruling.” Erebos glanced at her then, a bit more determined, a bit more malicious, a bit more wicked, pressing at her with an otherworldly stare, letting her see there was more to him than a mere prince - that perhaps he could be feared or admired in the future, but not because of a title. His actions, his plots, his schemes, would drum inspiration or apprehension – and as long as he succeeded in vanquishing his foes, the rest would fall into place. 

Art by Yew

@Kiada

World's Edge Nurse
Kiada shifted in place as Erebos assured her of meeting her father. She knew she’d meet him soon – she just didn’t know what it would be like. Would he be everything she ever imagined? Would he be a stone ruler like Deimos? Would she aspire to be like him? Would she be frightened of him? Or would she even care about him? The possibilities were far too varying and confusing for the child. All she knew, is that she’d figure it out when she saw his face. Then, she’d be able to see the resemblance in her. But whether or not she’d find out if her heart felt the same as his did about events would be another story, learned as she grew older she was sure.

The flames dancing across her back arced as griffons once again, confidence building in her words and mindset. Yet, as the prince began to speak and answer the question she had asked him, her tiny brows furrowed together. She tilted her ink dipped head at him, oceanic gaze seeking out his blues in confusion. How could one gain power without ruling over many? As far as the filly was concerned, power came from how many lives you controlled. How many lives you could sustain and destroy depending on a given circumstance. She shifted in place again looking away from him to the water.

But, how would you have power if you didn’t rule?” It was an innocent question from a child that didn’t understand how the world worked. As far as she was concerned, the world revolved around the fairytales her mother had told her – of princes and kings that swept princesses like herself off and away only to repeat the cycle. Things seemed different here of course, seeing as there were such few kings and queens already – and her father was one of them. And she wondered if the stories were true – if she’d end up getting swept up and taken by a prince in the night. And she wondered how she’d refuse, would she kick and fight till her last breath to be the pioneer of her own destiny?

She cleared her throat softly as she turned her head back to Erebos. “Doesn’t power only come from those you rule because they’d be under your command?” She mused softly.

"Talk."
Kiada
image | coding

@Erebos

Erebos
eye on what I'm after

She was confused – he watched her complexion change, falter, furrow down into thought and bewilderment, as if she’d never thought of other ways to gain prowess and prestige; but the boy had been around for longer, had seen more of the sovereigns, had rested on his laurels one too many times, had seen Gods fall, had watched lives altered, changed, for better, for worse, because of their avaricious tongues and their hungry wiles. “No.” He shook his head, smiled gently, gleamed in that dangerous, Cheshire way; as if he knew each and every secret of the world, when he’d truly only learned from the depths of the mountains and the scalding of sands, the rising of ocean tides and the simmering world of Machiavellian prospects. But he didn’t chide her, didn’t scold her, didn’t mock or growl – his voice was soothing, a quiet, considerate tone his mother would’ve used when her children cut their knees and bruised their chins. “Ruling doesn’t make you powerful. Having command over someone doesn’t make you omniscient. Monarchs can be just as weak as the rest of us, just as indecisive, just as unsure.” The Reaper, while not meek, while not yielding, still fumbled every now and then – because all of them were flawed, imperfect, but it was those that could overcome their faults that truly resounded, truly reverberated, truly held dominion and authority. They didn’t need to hold a scepter, didn’t need bodies to direct, didn’t need souls to be vanquished – but potency from within. He’d learned that at the very least, while watching beasts slay deities, while witnessing cretins march and pray, while becoming another part of the hollowed hills and the contorted flesh; the youth always knew what he yearned and longed for, knew what he desired and coveted. His quest for power didn’t require a throne or a crown, a medallion or praise; but simple, utter vengeance, justice for those who’d fallen, who’d never been given an option or an opportunity to fight back. He wanted to be strong, he wanted to be feared, and all of those things would come with a price, with glory, with triumph, and with defeats nestled and tucked together.

But he continued before she got too lost in the thick of it: grinning and wise, as if he were a sage from the summits and peaks, instead of a soldier deigning to eradicate those who’d wronged him. “What makes us strong is buried in your soul, in your might, in your commitment to the things you want, the things you crave.” Erebos' maw pointed towards her chest, where her heart was coiled and beating between bones, muscles, and marrow, where her entity and essence were bound for rapture, reverence, or chaos. Then it glided in the air, near her head, never quite touching, but illustrating a point. “The ability to use your mind can make you powerful. Can you overcome your enemies? Can you think faster than them? Can you outwit them at their own game?” Are you willing to completely destroy them? He pondered further, but didn’t admit aloud, because then he’d give a part of himself away too – how much he hankered for violence and destruction, ruin and treachery, to assail and condemn the deserving. His pause was short-lived, unwinding more and more of his thoughts, beliefs, and directions. “The ability to use your strength, your fortitude, or your endurance can make you powerful. Can you still strive for a throne, even when the world is falling apart around you?” Then the warrior’s head tilted, staring over her magic and all its transformations – if it would give away her emotions to the rest of the world, if it would note her weaknesses so her enemies knew where to shoot, where to kill. “Even magic and how you wield it can make you powerful.”

Art by Yew

@Kiada

World's Edge Nurse
As she questioned him, he answered. It wasn’t a frustrated or angry response, annoyed with a child who didn’t know any better. He was attentive, willing to teach her parts of the world and the way it all worked before judging her for her ignorance. And for that, the filly was grateful. She stood and watched as her flames danced and shifted, melding into different animals as her emotions changed and her young body stood as an open sponge – ready to soak up whatever information the Basin’s prince had to offer her. And she wasn’t disappointed with the results.

Snow rimmed ears were tipped as far forward as they could go, mulling over every word as they bounced around in her small mind. “Monarchs can be just as weak as the rest of us, just as indecisive, just as unsure.” Did that mean her father was like her? That when she was afraid of something happening that he might also feel afraid? A more interesting question sparked in her chest as she thought of Deimos – the pillar of the Basin. Did he ever feel afraid or unsure? And if so, how did he mask it so well? The questions poured and bubbled in her small frame and when she wanted to ask him all these questions of how they could be made monarchs if they were exactly the same as the rest of them, the ebony stallion continued. His voice almost leaking with excitement and vibrancy in the words he spoke, believing in each and every syllable that left his lips.

He questioned her more, her head tilted slightly, nodding along with everything he said as she drank it in. He pointed at her chest, then to her head, aiming to make a point that Kiada would soon find as a line to live her life by. She offered him a small smile, milk white teeth shining against the brightness of the sky as she nodded along eagerly. “I’m going to learn how to use my mind better than anyone else.” She decided with a determined look, grinning to Erebos. Then, she had begun to realize how late it was getting. Khairi cooed to her quietly as if in agreement, and she glanced down at the white vulture chick before turning her attention back to the prince. “Thanks for teaching me about power and stuff.” She began, smiling. “I have a lot to think about and Mother will be wondering where I am. Maybe you can teach me more sometime.” She concluded, turning away from the ebony prince. “See you later Prince Erebos!” She called out before picking up a tiny trot and dancing back to her mothers cave.

"Talk."
Kiada
image | coding

thanks for the thread Heather <333