the Rift

[OPEN] I told you to be patient.

Zyanya Posts: 70
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.1 hh :: VI
Tai
Zyanya
Happiness was a funny thing.

While you could create your own, the difficulty of doing so changed like the seasons.  When your outlook turned down, when your heart became blunted, happiness might as well be a distant island you view from the shore.  However, there was something about the emotion that could be handed over from others in small pieces or huge waves, and you could let your body drift within the feeling or bypass it altogether.

Somehow, Zyanya never suffered from a downtrodden spirit.  Even when she felt lonely or sad a smile rested just behind the kind words of a stranger or the beautiful scenery of a new place.  Today, standing quite still in a sun drenched meadow, she felt the rays of summer warming her soul and melting the ice in her veins.
While she loved her home in the north, with the beautiful images of winter hanging from every mountain peak, the feeling of the cold made her feel distant, far, and, without much to hold near to her heart here in Helovia, that was a feeling all too common.

A great chasm starting from the death of Jani and running straight through her life to the present overflowed with loneliness.  Crippling, suffocating at times, yet easy to remedy here in a land where one could not go far without seeing a new face.  Their presence warmed her skin far more than the heat of the sun or the touch of a humid breeze.  Her thoughts run back to Haldir, to Seanan, to Rikyn, to Lena, to Skyfall, and even to the grouchy old man Al.  Little glimmers of sunlight sparkle from brief interactions, and together, they cascade around her, lifting her spirit and the corners of her lips.

Meanwhile, her lavender eyes gaze longingly at the purple thistles held in tall grass.  For the outside observer, she is a pale, porcelain doll taking in the waning beauty of a summer field.  Inside her mind, the recent past lays like a thick cloud cover over her more haunting memories.
Faces that brought pain instead of happiness to her mind.

""

ooc -- for @Essetia , but anyone can feel free to join.
YOU ARE THE BLUEST LIGHT.
image credit to Steve Corey on flickr.com
even if you're lost you can't lose the love because
it's in your heart

Magic & Force allowed, barring permanent changes or death.

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds
Essetia & Romul
And although I wasn't losing my mind, It was a chorus so sublime
Was it strange that she’d taken to wandering again, this time with Romul shortly behind and her children waiting for her back in the Throat? Did it make Essetia, the spy, less human that she did not desire to spend every waking moment tending her offspring? The need and sullen desire to stray came intermittently at first and then all at once, all the time. Duty had been excuse enough to allow her a short visit to the Threshold, but now it was the sole idea of rediscovering her identity that forced her from the sand and the heat of the South. Indeed, the mare was becoming troubled and lost without Ulrik’s guidance, where before she’d been less than supportive of his commitment to her, always fearing the worst where he was concerned. Now she prayed to the Gods for another chance to make things right… at least before she became just another version of the Father who’d abandoned her own family.

With a heavy mind and even heavier heart, Essetia lead Romul toward the Thistle Meadow and toward the place where it had all began. At times, the spy remembered how strong and foolish she’d once been— so clueless and unassuming. Though the daylight burned bright above and the dried grasses were becoming brittle to prepare for the coming winter, Essetia imagined the cloak of darkness on the night she’d been taken from the Falls. She’d been so concerned with her pride and her duty and her— her damned fortitude back then... She hadn’t even noticed how perilous her situation truly was when Ulrik had quite literally stolen her from her own youth and honest inexperience. Now, she seemed to wear those mistakes upon her sleeve— a troubled stitching made up of trial and error. Yet, she missed that blindness and that ignorance, before death and doubt and fear forced her to see and feel through the numbing influence of fabricated happiness.

Happiness was a funny thing. Perhaps it was an emotion that could be handed over in bits and pieces, or even huge waves, but it had taken from Essetia, leaving behind only small reminders of something she wasn’t even sure existed in the first place. She had been the one who gave and spared little parts of herself until all the endured was a barren shell. It smiled like Essetia and it talked like Essetia, but if she’d ever been a true and honest creature to anyone at all, they would have known that it wasn’t, in fact, Essetia. And now she blamed it on that singular experience with Ulrik in the Thistle Meadow, whereupon the girl became a woman and forgot all of her innocence instead.

As the spy skirted tall tussock grasses, instead favoring a trimmed and trodden walk, she searched for signs of memories among the lavender blooms. The chirr of summertime insects hummed like white noise in the background of a troubled, yet catching, melodrama that played on loop in the young mother’s mind. She watched as a soft breeze cavorted through lanky flower stalks, bending and pressing them toward the sunbaked earth below. This wasn’t how she’d remembered it, but this was an inkling that Essetia could cling to when she wanted to recall his face and the fire he’d inhabited when first they met. As she tried to reminisce, lost in vague flashbacks from more than a year ago, she was stunted by the fluorescent image of a flawless winter glow.

It belonged to a lovely female no older than Essetia and one more obviously at peace in the meadow than her carmine onlooker. She was much smaller than the warmblood mix, what with Essetia’s Clydesdale heritage, but no less charming with her marlin blue points and indigo eyes. It took the spy a moment to decide if approaching the angelic figure was wise or merely a fool’s errand, but she quickly pressed onward, intent on drumming up conversation. She needed to forget why she'd come in the first place.

I believe it’s more beautiful in the spring,” Essetia offered when she was close enough to call to the unicorn from a distance. “There’s something about budding flowers that brings to mind a fresh start…” she added a little more absently. She couldn’t recall what the flowers had looked like in the cover of darkness way back when, but she imagined they were in full bloom, ready to wither in time for the snow.

OOC: I hope you don't mind that I bounced off your post.
Image Credit

@Zyanya

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity

Outcast
Tai
Zyanya
A breeze rustles the long, slender limbs of the blossoms, stirring up dust from beneath the thin cover provided by them.  Among the tang of sand which clouds her lungs, something else catches her attention.  The scent of another, a woman, drifts idly in the mind.  Something more feral stirs a sensation of unease in her heart.  Her head tips upward, eyes breaking their embrace of the strange blossoms, ear cocked slightly back.  Unlike her normally oblivious nature, the girl is quick to pick up on the presence of another immediately, versus waiting for their announced arrival.

Her eyes calmly scan the horizon in front of her, but find no trace of a body.  Then, a voice, clear and feminine, eases its way over the field toward her.  Turning her head calmly, despite the shudder in her chest as the beating of her heart increases, she comes into view - a dame.
A warm chocolate line amid the dry grasses of the meadow, with a face framed in a delicate ivory.  The bright color of her eyes draws Zya's immediate attention, finding their glimmer in the summer sun to be truly captivating.  The gleam of white behind the woman of sienna finally rises into her mind, causing a flicker of her lavender eyes toward it.  The beacon of white is a wolf, causing a stuttering step backward, lungs filling with air and distress.

The lonely sound of the woman's voice attempts to draw out conversation, but momentarily the composure of the pale beauty is lost.  For a painful moment, her eyes remain locked on the wolf, but the closeness of his body to the calm damsel in brown makes her pause.  Slowly, slowly, the cogs of Zya's mind begin to function and turn - a companion, is her guess.

"Uh," dumbly slips from her mouth, purple eyes skittering back toward the ivory framed face, trying to recall what was said.  Somehow, the tone of the other lady's voice made the unicorn almost question what was said had been directed toward her.  Even now, those pale eyes looked mighty distant.  "Oh."

Finally, the words seep back from her distracted mind, hearing them again more clearly.  "I traveled through here once in the spring," her voice is quiet, nervous still from the presence of the wolf.  "Shortly after I arrived."  A sheepish smile kisses her lips briefly.  Her eyes flutter and dance, trying not to stare at the mare before her.

"I don't remember much of it."  Thranduil had told her the name of the meadows while she stood at the beach.
Silently, she wonders whatever became of the golden stallion and Haldir.

""

ooc -- Not at all!  Glad I gave you something to work with.

@Essetia
it's in your heart

Essetia & Romul
For Essetia and Romul it is neither the first nor the last time they will deal with the suspicious glare of a total stranger. It doesn’t always begin so routinely, but both the spy and her companion are well-versed in the momentary lapse of sanity exhibited by those who come into contact with the predator and his prey. Of course, it is not uncommon for flighty animals to withstand that sudden state of paralysis despite their knowledge of Helovia’s traditions—a wolf is a wolf after all.

Essetia stood idly by while the porcelain maiden gathered her wits. She used the moment to snatch a few slender stalks from the dried meadow grasses and she chewed quietly until her guest could calm her nerves enough to speak… or something of that nature. Perhaps it was well enough, considering the bay’s tendency to let her mind wander over the hazy edges of distant memories. They faded in and out around her, creating a vivid pair of bronze-colored eyes that stared at her blankly from afar. It was during moments like these that Essetia wished he would appear instead of wrapping himself around the fluttering strings of her failing heart. Had she done him wrong by taking time away from their family in order to nurture her sense of pride? Essetia hated to imagine him waiting for her as he’d always done, while she— well, the spy was quite good at finding distractions to occupy the mind.

After struggling to return to the present and all its curiosities, Essetia was quite pleased that her new acquaintance was finally able to recover her footing. However, her voice seemed to quake at the sight of Romul waiting beyond Essetia’s shoulder, and so the spy nodded toward him with a knowing stare. The wolf appeared to understand the gesture and slowly removed himself from her side, even if the tension that rode along the soft slopes of his back was palpable. It took him a minute or two to finally put distance between himself and the pair of horses, but a tuft of white still caught Essetia's eye. However, once the tall grasses had finally concealed him from sight, Essetia quickly turned her attentions elsewhere. “He won’t return unless commanded,” she stated evenly.

It was then that the spy was able to fully comprehend the conversation at hand (with her wolf safely stowed away), which made her wonder where the stranger had sheltered during the cold of winter.  Perhaps that would explain why it had taken her so long to return to the Meadow from last spring. “I visit rather frequently when I can,” Essetia responded while fixing her guest with a halfhearted smile. “I’m Essetia by the way and the wolf is Romul. I hail from the Dragon’s Throat in the south,” she informed with more certainty. “It’s nice to escape the heat from time to time.

OOC|| -- 
Image Credit

@Zyanya

Outcast
Tai
Zyanya
The kindness of the stranger rains over her like a summer shower, filling her soul with a reminder of the good in the world.  Lilac eyes soften in silent apology as the white wolf winds his way through the meadow, out of sight and reach from the pair of equines.  For, in her logical mind, Zyanya knew the wolf meant no ill.  Companions simply existed by those they were bonded to, and while the howls in the mountains may be those of a predator, the canine had not been aggressive in the slightest.

She would apologize, but then, it would only reinforce the rude behavior just shown to one so gentle of heart.  "Thank you," the edge of her lips tug upward in a small smile, feeling embarrassment clawing to the surface of her conscience, but flatly choosing to ignore it.  Instead, her eyes trace over the ivory frame of the woman in front of her, finding something sorrowful in her features, but being unable to trace its origin.
For, the expression on her face yields no frown, the eyes are not wet with tears.
Curious.

Essetia proffers a smile that is disingenuous, making the joyous expression flicker with an odd light.  The icy toned girl does not think much of it, for forcing a smile became one of her many tasks back in her original homeland.  As long as no one bothered to dig into the meaning behind the skin-deep expression, it did not matter whether you felt the joy on your face.  At least, that is what she had told herself for years.

"I imagine it is very warm that far south," she says, never having visited the sands of the desert, but only briefly glimpsing the island from the southern lands known as the Heart.  "Even far north, the heat permeates the air."  Thinking back to her home, how the glint of the sun contrasted the defiant white peaks of the mountains.   The wind of the mountain impressively cold, but the stale air in the valleys felt cramped with heat.  Summer came like a violent breath of fire over the lands, and she could not help but wonder if it were normal in Helovia.

"Ah, I almost forgot -" her voice picks up a hurried pace, trying to rush to the manners she had neglected for a moment.  "I am Zyanya of the Aurora Basin."  The smile offered by the delicate porcelain doll is genuine, finding a lot of happiness when she thinks back to the icy home to the north.  Despite facing many tragedies this year, thinking of the lights dancing among the night sky muddled her sadness and wrapped her in a blanket of warm security.

"It's nice to meet you, Essetia."

""

@Essetia
it's in your heart

Essetia & Romul
For all intents and purposes, conversation felt forced, but happy. It was courteous and light, a bear whisper of shared thoughts and feelings from prior engagements, but nothing quite like crawling into bed with the enemy. Of course, enemy in that particular context was a broad word that encompassed so much and changed so quickly… In some ways, friendship was just the same Essetia supposed, but relationships were a fleeting thing in her opinion, no matter the title. If it was were up to her, the spy wouldn’t condone the modern endearments simply because she’d learned how abruptly they could be swayed… or just forgotten. Whether or not the slight mare in question would deem Essetia something of an acquaintance mattered very little to the big bay. If they happened upon one another again somewhere down the line, then that would be fine, and if not, then that would be fine too.

With Romul wandering through the neighboring shaded wood, Essetia felt relaxed enough to more fully entertain her company (it was obvious enough that the Unicorn felt the same as well). As the silver blossom thanked Essetia for allowing them some time alone, Essetia imagined it must be strange for others to witness one of nature’s natural born predators accompanying nature’s natural born prey. The spy hadn’t picked her companion like some were able to do… He’d just been given to her. How odd it had been as a child to nurture a child not unlike herself. However, they were both adults now and growing together had allowed them to form a bond much earlier in life, a bond unbreakable by life or death.

It is quite warm” ( scalding would have been a better word for it) Essetia replied toward the Unicorns stab at stirring up conversation. “Though I like to think the heat washes one clean,” she stated after, more factually than anything else. It was true that Essetia found the Throat to be a somewhat cleansing atmosphere— it had certainly stripped her of the glossy coat she’d once adorned in the exotic Hidden Falls.

However, Zyana was moving along quickly and rushing through the formalities that Essetia had often ignored in previous settings. She believed that there were circumstances in which it wasn’t needed… Sometimes she just knew that putting a name to the face would kill the allure and the beauty of the individual. Yet, it was well enough that she didn’t find those precepts applied here, as Zyana had come there from the North, where beauty didn’t exactly exist. At least not to Essetia.

As the spy thought back to the time she’d spent there (under less than bearable circumstances), she couldn’t recall seeing the little blossom around. It was a big place though and it that hardly meant anything to her now. The Aurora Basin now continued to leave a bitter taste in her mouth and somehow (despite the kindness she’d been shown) it just wasn’t enough to go about her business without pause. “I do wish I could say the same Zyana, but I’m afraid I don’t exactly care for your choice of loyalty. The Basin hasn’t shown me much favor,” she bit with some regret. “Though, I hear they’re finally turning over a new leaf—all species can be part of the club now?” she mused a little more sarcastically.

The Edge had ben blacklisted because of her father and the Basin had been added because they’d taken the Falls from her. In some ways, Essetia wanted to be more forgiving and kind, but when one had nothing to lose, perhaps kindness couldn’t save friendships—even blooming ones at that. See? Titles were changing all the time.

OOC|| Sorry about the wait! 
Image Credit

@Zyanya

Outcast
Tai
Zyanya
The porcelain doll thought carefully about her company's words, wondering if heat were the answer to her heart's dilemmas.  If the warmth of the sun could cleanse your soul, maybe it would be worth a visit.  In the dreams of a useless child, Zyanya shortly mused about becoming friends with Essetia, traveling south to visit her home under the Sun.  Of course, those dreams were short lived.

Like knives, the next series of words cut through the fragile expectations of the smaller girl, shredding the tapestries of her musings.
Taken aback, Zya pauses, her ears tilting this way and that, hoping to find some clarification.  Her lilac eyes widen, as though the words of the bay mare had caused her some mortal injury.  Perhaps, instead of being afraid of the wolf which accompanied the mare, she should be more afraid of the beast hiding within her heart.  Foregoing the polite exchange, words drenched in venom are tossed at the unicorn.  Bewildered and more than a little confused, she has nothing to say.

In her heart, the mare feels quite upset that anyone would speak ill of her home.  The Aurora Basin had offered her shelter and protection when she desperately needed it.  Smiling faces eased her heart when it wavered with uncertainty.  Patience had been granted in waves instead of small, tiny raindrops.  A worthless maiden began to take shaking steps toward a realized existence, one worth living.  "I... don't know what you're talking about," the voice with drops into the air is heavy, thick with turmoil and hurt.

More than anything else, she wanted to believe in the home she made here.  Yet, she became conflicted, as she did not want to doubt her company, either.  Uncertain what Essetia's blackened voice arose from.  Instead, she only had the echoing, nattering pounding of her heart.  Never had she been so blatantly told that it was unpleasant to meet her.  Despite her attempts to be the picture of manners, to be kind, to offer nothing but a friendly smile and casual conversation, all of her attempts were thrown back in her face.

"I cannot change whatever happened to you," she says, resolve finally shedding a thin light on her small face.  "But you approached me, and I have done nothing to warrant this."  Tipping her head down briefly, Zyanya turns away, slowly walking further into the field - dazed and confused.  Pain manifested itself in strange way in others, but this time, the pale girl was convinced she, at least, was not at fault.  She could not hope to absolve the former sins of her home.  She could only hope to not sully it further.

""

ooc -- it's alright! I'm a little slow this time as well. Work has been killing me x_x;

@Essetia
it's in your heart

Essetia & Romul
For a short time, confusion flashed like a moving picture across Zyanya’s gentle face. It rallied and coursed across the slopes of her cheeks as understanding made way for pure and simple cluelessness. If Essetia could imagine anything similar to the shock and ruin she’s inspired in those dahlia colored eyes, she imagined how she looked when she’d witnessed Midas fall to his death amid an unbridled tempest in the North.  Old and bitter hurts resurfaced, unexplained, and remained despite the spy’s desperate attempts to rein in her convulsive desire to hate.

Maybe she had been wrong to accuse and to envision that this placid girl took any part in her imprisonment, but Essetia’s foolhardy sense of pride kept her from apologizing for her cutthroat attitude. Slowly, the spy’s hard edges appeared to recede as regret replaced the tension growing between her eyes. Her furrowed brow drew softly and her lips sloped downward into a defeated frown. Perhaps she’d been wrong and simply didn’t want to admit to this stranger that she still carried too many odds and ends from the past—ones even directed at Ulrik despite her wayward affections for the stallion. He had been an integral part of the Basin once hadn’t he?

When Zyanya finally recovered herself from Essetia’s verbal lashing and the spy was forced to endure her recoil, Essetia made a new choice in order to save whatever budding friendship the two of them had shared. However, before she could fully apologize for her behavior and her unwilling participation in rediscovering past grudges, the Basin mare had turned away, seeking to be rid of Essetia’s company at once—and with good reason.

I’m sorry,” Essetia called after her, her eyes trailing the tender curvature of the other’s spine. She was such a small, prim creature, so unaware of anything else outside the bliss she entertained. It took innocence and naivety to embody such a reaction to malice… The spy was immediately disappointed. “I shouldn’t have assumed,” she began, hoping to sway the Unicorn from her retreat. “I have a troubled past with the North and… well, there’s no use in trying to explain it, but I am deeply sorry,” she finished weakly.

Essetia couldn’t really explain how different the Basin had been before Midas died and before they were prompted to hold Essetia while they simultaneously assisted the Edge in taking away her home. She couldn’t put into words the agony and grief of watching her Czar drown in the sky or how sickening it was to hear those unthoughtful creatures debate whether or not to burn his body. Even more so, Essetia couldn’t admit that she, a captive in the Basin during the invasion of the Hidden Falls, had fallen for their Engineer in the middle of wartime circumstances… She’d lost her right to hate them and yet did so anyway, even after they showed promise toward change. Ulrik had told her as much about their ideas to connect with the other herds, and yet the spy couldn’t quite find it within her heart to forgive them for what they’d done.

There was no one to blame and Essetia wanted nothing more than to find her scapegoat.

OOC -- 
Image Credit

@Zyanya

Outcast
Tai
Zyanya
I'm sorry.

It is not a weak voice that calls from behind her, certainly.  The words are thick with emotion, maybe regret, as they carry on the heavy summer wind.  Zyanya makes no pause, does not stop her retreat at them.  The fierce turmoil boiling under her skin, the insult of her and her new home, fueled a fire than drove her limbs forward.  Ears do swivel back in the direction of former company, capturing the following words despite the obvious intent to leave regardless of what is said.

The resolve built in her heart softens, then melts completely.  Halting after the next set of words reach first her ears, then her heart, then her soul, Zyanya's small face turns to look toward the girl.  Looking upon her with suspicion, a rare occurence for the mare, the pretty face of the bay mare twisted as if by some inner struggle with herself.  The air around Essetia was sullen, not just after the verbal lashing toward Zyanya, but before, as though her heart lay heavy in her chest, buried under grief or something darker.

The thought of leaving her alone stabbed painfully in her heart, making the air in Zyanya's lungs acrid.  "I love my home," the girl says, very straightforward and honest toward the girl.  Her lavender eyes are soft, despite the strange, unfamiliar strength in her voice.  Normally, the meek porcelain doll would never speak so boldly to her company.  The strength originates not from herself, but the hearts and souls of those she had met.  "I do not expect you to agree, but you musn't speak ill of my beloved land."

A sigh escapes her delicate lips, the girl looking toward the grasses with regret, wishing she knew how to assuage the hurt her people had caused for Essetia.  She could never understand, never believe, in the evils the Aurora Basin once housed.  She only knew of the brave, warm souls which crowded the mountain peaks now.  The bright smile of Lena as she offered a song to a weary soul, the worried face of Johnny as he attempted to staunch Albrecht's bleeding shoulder.  The glint of gold flickering in her minds eye from Rexanna's jewelry as she extended a warm welcome despite Zyanya's uselessness.

Meekly, a smile which is pained and difficult to produce, offers reparation.  Despite not knowing Essetia well, something about the kind gesture of placing Romul from her sight made Zyanya want to believe in the girl's soul.  She wanted to have this girl as a friend, unable to quite explain why.  "It is the only place I have left."
""

ooc -- Sorry for the very long wait.  I'm trying to get everything caught up, and this one slipped past my attention longer than it should have!

@Essetia
it's in your heart