the Rift

[OPEN] Slaves to Dreams

Sabia Posts: 58
Outcast
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15hh :: 6 (Orangemoon)
Mouse
Sabia
The sun was about to rise, you can tell because the sky starts to turns pink. The birds in the sky begin singing their songs calling to one another like they are lover's searching for one another, the lost and the lonely are only up at this hour. For the lonely the sun paints its welcoming colors of pink and orange in the blue sky chasing all the stars away, because you see the stars are for the lover's. For the lost the sun rises so that they may follow it and find something in it's rays.

With the sun rising Sabia had set off from the Throat and let her wings carry her where they wished, it was something she did often now that she was free from her birth herd. Making up for lost time is what the mare called it, often she would set off without telling any horse and be gone for hours. Sabia was not yet needed in the herd so there was no one to miss her so the mare took her sweet time exploring, always careful not to trespass into another herds territory.

Sabia had been flying for some time and her wings began to tire out, the clouds were also gathering and made it difficult for Sabia to see. Deciding to land Sabia settled for the faint outline of greenery she could see beneath her. However when she landed Sabia saw nothing but fog, snorting with disappointment the mare folded her wings to her side and began to walk hoping to find something in the fog that was worth her time.

It was then the fog began to part like a veil and Sabia noticed faint outlines of large rocks reaching out to the sky like desperate birds with broken wings. Quickening her pace the rose grey mare parted through the fog and was revealed to the mountains who's size defied everything Sabia thought she knew of mountains, the mare had never seen such things before.

Sabia stood there with glittering amazed green eyes and watched as the sun rose up behind the mountains. The rays outlined her body like a gentle caress of warmth, it all seemed like a dream if someone happened upon Sabia. The green lush field, the mountains, and a beautiful sun all had to be a dream thought Sabia.

Sabia was desperate to see what she never got to in foalhood and often dreamed of what she might see only to wake in the Throat, Sabia was a slave to her dreams only ever getting to see what they wanted her to see and never getting to experience it.

Put me through hell again, I miss the fire.
 Notes:  

@Caneo
" Stolen friends and disease, Operator please.
Patch me back to my mind.
But everybody knows.
That a broken heart is blind."

Force/violence is allowed as long as Sabia does not die or is maimed.
please tag if mentioned!

Caneo Posts: 133
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3h :: 6 years HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Ophiria :: Dragon Snake :: None kae

This place again. Strange he has known Helovia long enough to say it like that: again. The land is big but hardly big enough; Caneo traces its contours until they hold familiar in his mind. How long ago did he last gaze up at the sky for guidance? So long; he was a boy, then. Idly he drifts, cataloging landmarks like any other native, forgetting the voices of the stars and the promises they made when he was lonely, when they were the only voices he knew. They fade now; dawn overtakes them all. If he says goodbye too late, it isn't the first time.

"Are you hungry?" he asks aloud, though there isn't any need. The small thing riding now upon his back threads through his thoughts in smooth arcs; she is he as he is she, their thoughts the interplay of water between sea and stream. She shifts a little at the feel of his voice nonetheless; it trembles like frost in the wind, a thin bright sound moving from between his ribs. Of course, the snake is always hungry, but the snake is peering at the sky and tucking down her head.

Pausing Caneo cocks one pale eye at her. He almost wishes he had found her long ago, when he too craved the touch of night and loved the moon and knew nothing of what danced beneath the sun. Unfortunate for both of them he feels the music of dawn, too, thrumming in the soles of his feet and in the cool of the foggy air. "Fine," he says with a sigh and a shake of his head. His stride takes them over the green, toward the winding path and the way back down, though it's far yet. He has no business at the top of the world if she has no business at the top of the world. Caneo merely cocks an ear back as she burrows back into his mane.

And he doesn't mean to run into anybody else, but he does — almost literally. With his thoughts scattered and the way still half-hidden by fog, he fails to clock the girl exactly where she is, and then suddenly she's there, and Caneo's ears come up and he stops dead, everything about him conveying surprise. "Oh." The sound's light, a chiming bell, as his long face tips to the side and one pale eye takes in wings, takes in what happened to that ear? Is it desert he smells on her? Is it sand? And would he call her family if it was? "Good morning." With a simper, Caneo flicks the end of his tail at nothing in particular, and the snake curls more tightly around the thin strands of his mane. "Did you know, I met someone once who watched the sun rise like that every morning. His eyes melted out of his head."

Caneo...
image by Renate Flynn

@Sabia

* violence & magic use always permitted *
Do not tag Caneo unless you are starting a new thread you would like me to see! Thank you!

Outcast
Mouse
Sabia
Sabia was so amazed at the sight she was witnessing before her that the mare did not notice in any way the stallion coming up behind her, even if she wasn't distracted Sabia probably wouldn't have heard it since her hearing was weak, coming from one ear. When Sabia finally heard something it was the tail end of a greeting, for her all she heard was; "orning" and even that sent the skittish mare into surprise. Sabia couldn't help but jump both front legs coming off the ground but quickly landing back down, she smelt the stench of a stallion as clear as day now and she really did not like him being behind her.

'Calm down and take it slow he may just want to talk' Sabia's rational thinking pushed in, her uneasiness around stallions was a problem she wanted to fix, this could be her chance. Turning so that the stallion wasn't behind her but on her left side (so she could hear him as well) Sabia forced words from her maw, "well what a sight to see before you die" she said in her soft voice.

"B-better to die looking at such a beautiful thing than something else" the mare said turning to look back at the scene but she kept her working ear pointed at the stallion. Adjusting her wings awkwardly on her side Sabia looked for something to say, her body was tense and she found herself leaning slightly away from the man. "What brings a living soul all the way up here?" She questioned, 'way to go Sabia asking personal questions...

Sabia glanced at the stallion quickly, he seemed unaware of the battle inside of her body and that was okay with her no one would want to hear her sob story. However she found the stallion very intriguing to look at, as white as a fresh blanket of snow with surprising blue eyes. Sabia had never seen a horse so interesting, she found herself surprised to see such a different looking tail and horn. The mare found herself captivated and affraid, stuck all the way up in this meadow with a stallion.
 Notes:  

@Caneo
But everybody knows.

please tag if mentioned!

She whirls — and Caneo recognizes that. He wishes he didn't. He wishes the child still lingering on in the back of his mind didn't prick its ears and think, Oh, in that sad voice the boy always thinks in. I'm sorry. But Caneo is not; he refuses to feel sympathy for what he so clearly understands as fear. Because he was that fearful once. He was never so obvious (lying the first skill the child learned) but he was. He had refused even to set foot in the Threshold that first day, enticed only by the promise of food and of shelter, by the warm kindness in Roland's voice.

Caneo is not kind.

He says nothing to soothe. He blinks at her as if she hasn't just overreacted to his presence. And when she speaks, one of his ears twitches. She misunderstands the story; stories bruise under such rough handling, such literal interpretation. "I didn't say he died," the stallion quips, as if her understanding of the story is the strange thing. He snorts, very quietly, at once disapproving and amused. It's the sort of thing one might do if a child gives a ridiculous answer to a simple question. And though he isn't interested, particularly, in making himself less threatening (how does he inspire fear, again?) Caneo cocks a hip and watches her, his posture as at ease as it ever is, even if the ear farthest from the girl twitches now and then to catch sounds at his back. Even if one eye is always watching the world around them.

Now, she asks a question. Now, Caneo ought to bite his tongue, but she walks right into these things... "Good question!" he chirps. "How do you know I'm alive?" He glances over his shoulder as the tiny knot of scales on his withers twitches, irritated by the intricate circles he makes with words. She is a straightforward creature, most of the time. A patient creature, but one prone to striking in a straight line. Her blunt snout pushes up into the air and her tongue flickers out, grumpy, as some sort of interpretation wavers between them. He doesn't read her very well, all the time, but he knows she smells blood beating under the skin of this girl, and he supposes the point is straightforward enough. "My friend says you're alive,"Caneo points out. "What brings you up here?" He could, of course, tell her he was hunting frogs, but what is the fun in that?

Caneo...
image by Renate Flynn

@Sabia

Do not tag Caneo unless you are starting a new thread you would like me to see! Thank you!

Outcast
Mouse
Sabia
Sabia was taken back by the stallions response, he was nothing like the stallions she was used to. Without realising it she began to relax even if it was a small bit, Sabia's deaf ear had stopped twitching (an old habit of trying to hear) and her muscles relaxed some. With the mare's deaf ear she could not hear his disappointed snort at her answer to the story but she heard his answer. Sabia did not like his tone.

"Forgive me I assumed a horse with no eyes would soon die" she said glancing at him, she felt uncomfortable under his stare. Sabia was not used to being seen but more used to being taken advantage of due to her gender. Under his gaze she felt seen and felt like she was being read...did he know her fear of his gender?

Surprised at the stallions sudden chirpy tone Sabia flicked her deaf ear, unaware a horse's attitude could change so fast.

Sabia was confused at his question, she found herself lost for words. Cocking her head she turned her sparkling eyes completely on him then to his creature laying on his back. "Well...of course I'm alive my body is warm and my heart beats" she said "you can even see it in the eyes." Sabia found in his eyes something unpleasing so she did something very bold for her "does your heart beat?" She questioned and put her silky muzzle to his chest.

Maybe she had done it because he was so different from the other stallions she had met, the more logical reason was that Sabia was testing him to see if he would act in terrible ways to a mares touch. A bold move but the mare wanted to change.

Notes:  

@Caneo
But everybody knows.

please tag if mentioned!

Oh, she's boring. Caneo's expectations wilt in the light of her words. Fearful and literal — how old is she, anyway? He allows his eyes to skate her figure with limited interest, pausing again on that twitchy, torn up ear. The girl stands smaller than he does, but a handful of Helovians do. She isn't flimsy like a baby; her wings bristle with a full compliment of feathers. Sad then, she eyes him with such obvious mistrust. Has she never met a unicorn? Does she, like those idiots in the Threshold, think him a ghost and recoil because of his color, because of the snake? He wonders how he might most easily end the conversation, should it carry on this way. Surely there are better things to do....

One ear cocks lazily in her direction as the girl continues to babble, taking him much too seriously in the process. She moves just as he turns back, and it's a mistake, a mistake, one noticed too late. Caneo freezes, rigid, as she up and invades his personal space without so much as a warning. Her nose presses warm and soft as a baby's into his chest and his eyes lock to the place where they touch as his body all but vibrates with the sudden pressure to run, or to stab her. "Does your heart beat?"

Oh, it's beating now.

He doesn't move; he fills completely with the compulsion to move and yet he freezes, stares at her, missing the right moment to answer with a quip. On his back the serpent is unwinding, her tongue flickering and flickering, and were she larger, were she on his head where she ought to be, the gesture would read threat. But she isn't, she isn't, and slowly Caneo's neck stretches down to bring his face face nearer the girl's, to bring their eyes of a level. "Careful," he murmurs, half smiling, quick and bright in the way Caneo is when he lies most ardently. He's careful to speak into her undamaged ear. Slowly, so slowly it's exaggerated, he evens his weight and rocks back onto his haunches, and then gracefully he leaps away from her — a single long, slow stride. He'll breathe easier that way.

And he does. And he looks at her with amusement, his thoughts scrambling to recalculate. Standing on tiptoe now, ready to dodge if she dares touch him again, he adds, "Someone's gonna get the wrong idea if you keep doing things like that." His tail twitches, and it's the only indication of unease, and it might only be a reaction to the insects drawn out by the heat of Tallsun now crowding the air around them both. "Didn't your Momma teach you not to cuddle up with strangers?"

Caneo...
image by Renate Flynn

@Sabia

Outcast
Mouse
Sabia
Sabia was surprised that went so well. Okay, to other mares that might have seen like a bad reaction but to Sabia who was used to being taken advantage of that was good. The mare patiently waited as the stallion moved away clearly uncomfortable, as uncomfortable as it felt around the two Sabia was more at ease now.

Sabia stood a little taller and perked both ears up, she even stared right at him. "No my mama taught me nothing of the sort" she said with a little smirk to hide her sadness. "My...mama taught me two things: that exploring was bad and that I am worthless in the eyes of her and my 'family'" Sabia knew no one cared about her sob story so she stopped there.

The mare adjusted her wings and flicked her tail, it was interesting how she suddenly changed all due to a reaction by the stallion in front of her. In a way she was still too trusting of horses but given Caneo's reaction she was a little more easy with him. Sabia watched him for a little while studying his reaction.

"You keep looking at my ear" Sabia said flicking her torn ear self consciously. "Id like a name if you want to keep oogling" sabia was born honest and that's all she was doing now, such a change when she realized that she can trust you.

The mare cast another glance at the creature on the stallion's back, she assumed it was his companion. Sabia had heard a lot about those and hoped one day she could find one.
 Notes:  

@Caneo
But everybody knows.

please tag if mentioned!

In the shuddering aftermath of revulsion, Caneo thinks perhaps he misjudged the girl. Tendrils of panic still curl across his nerve endings, but he utterly denies the primal urge to flee. He is no longer so young; he dares not let her know how his thoughts swirl in response to such a simple action. If he were anyone else — if he were a normal stallion — but his thoughts catch on the sharp edge of the word (normal) and the serpent on his back lifts up her head, tongue flickering. She can't speak, but her presence in his mind grounds him, reassures him that he's bigger than the girl, he's whole, he cannot be undone by what swarms in his head. He breathes not a word of his discomfort; only the twitching end of his tail betrays how near he came to hurting the girl — not like a hungry wolf, but a trapped one.

He wonders how much she manages to read of him.

One of Caneo's ears falls back as she speaks of her mother — more information than he cares to have. Too bad, he thinks but doesn't say. She had a mother, didn't she? His own memories are void of such a figure; there is only, was only, the hulking figure of the old man with the gnarled horn upon his brow, the eyes colder and darker than steel. "Maybe you ought to find a new family," he muses aloud, and wonders if the statement is crass. Gradually, Caneo regains his composure, though still he stands on tiptoe, regretting that he ever let down his guard. "You can do that, you know. I did."

And maybe he is staring at her ear, but her rebuke draws only a chuckle from his narrow chest. "How rude of me," Caneo drawls in response. "I hope I'm not making you uncomfortable." His tail flicks again, and on his back the snake watches with black eyes. "I'm Caneo, a spy for the Dragon's Throat." His ears prick, drawn forward by curiosity, though briefly his own eyes tilt toward where the snake peers up from the ridge of his withers. He isn't blind to the girl's interest, but he's taken his time in thinking how to address it. Not a threat, certainly.... Maybe an opportunity to teach. Maybe an opportunity to serve his wretched new family in some way. "This is a friend of mine," he adds, with a gesture to the snake. "Have you ever met someone with a bonded companion before?"

Caneo...
image by Renate Flynn

@Sabia

Outcast
Mouse
Sabia
Sabia continued to watch him, took in the twitch of his tale. Did she make him uncomfortable? In that thought Sabia felt a little amused holding such a small power over the stallion. The mare watched the creature raise and flick it tongue, her deaf ear twitched nervously at that. Could it attack her? Would the stallion let it?

The mare's nervous ear stops twitching again when he speaks of a new family. What herd did he belong to? She wandered as he spoke of himself finding a family, she was not used to the scent of any herds in Helovia so which one did he belong to? Sabia waited silently and listened to him speak, her ears perked forward clearly interested. Sabia flicked her ear once again, always watching his companion.

Caneo...that's his name she thought 'and from the Throat how interesting.' Tilting her head like a bird Sabia spoke, "you're not making me uncomfortable" she lied, the mare wouldn't let him know how he affected her. Sabia was taking a risk introducing herself but she did it anyways, honest she had to remember that. "I am Sabia training to be a healer in the Dragon's Throat" she gave an amused snort interested in his reaction.

At the mention of his companion she gave a tilt of her head, "yes ive met Essetia and Sikeax they have companions." The mare recalled the night in the lake when Sikeax's companion tried to scare her and then sang her his beautiful song.

Notes:  

@Caneo
But everybody knows.

please tag if mentioned!