the Rift

[OPEN] the wrong year

Ultima Posts: 57
Outcast
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 4
Snapdragon :: Turkish Andora Cat :: None Kairi
ultima
Her gut was full of waves. That must’ve been why she came down to the ocean so early that morning, too early to call ‘day’, face bare, hair unmade, eyes still half-shut with sleep. No birds singing. Hardly any sound but sea-sound, the waves sweeping up and down the coast, tugging at her hocks. Stars, foreign and unintelligible overhead.

It was the jealous half-dark of summer, never comfortable for too long, poaching scraps of time from a generous sun. The sky ahead of her was inky and bruised, and behind her, shifting softly to rose. Rich with potential energy, that. Like waking up on the right side of the bed, in the quiet hour before the ladies woke; Minerva had been up for hours already, but she was savoring the silence, humming something lilting and off-key, expression soft, head tilted just so. Ultima used to lie in those dark blue moments and count them. One breath at a time. In. Out. In again. And on the hundredth exhale, maybe, sometimes the hundred-forty-first: blackbirds. Then the robins. Then wrens and the black caps, and the thrush, the distinct treet treet treet— Light just beginning to trickle through the heavy thatch of branches and boughs, speckling her windowsill, catching the dewdrops caught in the grooves of her windowsill, the smell of petrichor wafting faintly over the rise of her windowsill— And the birds would swing by on their colorful wings, and their beaks would open wide with cheer, jaws unhinging, raw breath, gullets like tunnels to—

She shrank all of a sudden, wings pinned hard to her back, head tucked to her chest as if the mild breeze troubled her. Alien, she thought to herself, the feathers on her neck tall, ruffled. Stranger in a strange, strange land, with strange problems and strange ways. 

Lucid was the word for it. Evening and afternoon never phased her, but morning revealed the truth like a spyglass, or cold water; one found her secrets out, and the other sent them shivering, wildly, into wakefulness. What was she doing here? How long was she staying, and why? Cowardly thing, vapid thing, lurking here, dancing through the woods, trilling about—

PRIMROSE WON'T BRING YOU BACK, GIRL.

Feel of teeth on her neck. Her heart floundered, eyes wide and unseeing. She struggled for a long moment and then shut them, tightly, the long doll’s lashes trembling.

One. Two. Three. Four—
dear god, make me a bird so i can fly far away from here

open for anybody!! i was trying to write something else and got this ahahaaa
please tag ultima in all posts!
force/magic a-ok, shy of killing/maiming her!

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks

A creeping beam of sunlight smiles, and the girl and her brother smile back.

They love to walk the beach at dawn. It is one of the things they miss most about the Throat- one of, in a list of many, a list which spans the breadth of their discomfort in a home that fits like an ill-made suit. The Edge is stifling in its familiarity, suffocating in the ways it is strange; even the fox's jubilant nature cannot set the pair at ease, and so they retreat to something familiar, like crescent hoof prints in the golden sand. The rising color of a blushing dawn paints the pair in pale pastels; they walk with an eye to the encroaching sun, enjoying the silence, the salty breeze. Here they feel at peace with the world. Here the girl feels safe.

They nearly miss the pale mare, nearly lose her to the horizon. She is a statue in the children's path to the dawn, a women garbed in blue and foam- an echo of the sea. Fire Dancer notes her first, trepidation blooming through her chest, a visceral reaction which short her steps. She hesitates, irrationally distressed: how dare this stranger intrude on her solitude, threaten her thoughts, her means of escape. She considers retreating, turning her back to the sunrise, sacrificing the view for the sake of solitude- but of course her brother has other ideas, and before she can protest he is off and away, a small black shadow bounding through the sand. He knows the filly is discontent, that she would much rather turn and flee-

He knows this, and disregards it. Four years of being bound by the soul have taught Natraj that the best course of action is generally to disregard his sister's anxiety, and that in time she will thank him for that lack of concern. This is for you, my sullen sister, the kitsune teases across their bond.

Fire Dancer can do naught but sigh.

She approaches at a leisurely pace, content to watch her brother's buoyancy through observant, onyx eyes. The fox is a comedian, his delight at meeting strangers palpable: he prances to the mare's side and promptly rolls onto his back, displaying his stomach in a sign of friendship before rising back with a friendly yip. "He wants to know if you came from the ocean," the girl translates at her brother's request, drawing to a stop some paces from the pair. Her voice is low in the quiet air, a tentative smile on her moon-slashed face, a careful composure to her copper form. She is a sunbeam wreathed in embers, a windswept wraith, a swatch of crimson, like blood on the sky. She looks on the four-winged mare and marvels at the Gods, wonders that they could make something quite so beautiful as this mare. For she is beautiful, and her brother agrees; and because they are children, because they are shy, because because they are honest, they tell her so.

"You look like the sea."

THE FIRE DANCER
for it was I who walked among the falling stars, and did not burn
credit | credit

@Ultima

Lotherarius Posts: 37
Outcast
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.0hh :: 6 :: Ages in Tallsun
Danjah
Lotherarius
Lotherarius stood on the border of the Endless Blue, the memories of when he first arrived on these shores set deep in his mind. It was where he had met Syrena during the biting Frostfall winds that had blown the ice right down his back and given him a chill to his bones. Yet he gazed with striking azure pools at a different planet - the terraria full of heat and beauty. Suddenly this place was so inviting.

The striped brute paced forward and felt the warm sad soft underneath his daggers, sinking as he walked closer to the shores. He could see two figures in the near distance but not quite the focus. His attention snapped at them when he realised that he wasn't alone after letting his lobes flick this way and that, hearing for anything that could make him turn and flee. But it was so early in the morning that the sun was only just beginning to set the warm air into motion, and who else would be around at this time? He decided to attempt to shrug off his fears and be sociable, the Illusor attempting to get to know more of the creatures of his new home.

He came closer to spot the first creature, a fae of copper and cream tassles, short in statue compared to him but a very sweet looking thing with a very curious kitsune at her heels. He gazed upon them trying to converse in conversation with the other before realising just who they were speaking to. She was a stranger for sure; her beauty would have made any creature remember her. An ivory bodice with dual wings, splashed in heavy azure. She indeed was soft on the eyes, something incredibly striking in his mind. But he shook these thoughts from his brain before letting them betray him to the two faes that he had come across. With his handsome cranium peeking from one to the other he decided to step out high and proud towards the pair of them, feeling the need to make himself known. He did not need to be known as the 'creeper'...

With a gruff tone that still resembled his usual soft tones, Lotherarius spoke to the pair of them, a greeting with genuine politeness,
"Good morning, ladies. I hope I haven't disturbed you so early on," his pools glimpsed at the waves that crashed in the very near distance, "I am Lotherarius, it is a pleasure to meet you both."

" . "
Haven’t had a d r e a m in a long time.

image | coding

@Ultima @Tandavi

[Thought I'd crash the party! xP]

Please tag me

Ultima Posts: 57
Outcast
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 4
Snapdragon :: Turkish Andora Cat :: None Kairi
ultima
Was she the same girl she was before? Was she different? She couldn’t tell; her face was still familiar at the edges but the eyes were foreign, harder and brighter in the Helovian sun. When she went combing through the woods with Tilney, she felt a pang of nostalgia and a vague sense of otherness, spurred by the sound of her own voice, her quick remarks, her laughter. Who was that? Dancing over the brambles, exclaiming over burdock? That girl was loved fiercely and tenderly and she wore it like gold laurels on her brow, but that was not Ultima, Light of Morning and Sound of Dawn.

That was Alph. Alph always woke up early and didn’t need to be roused. Alph loved Tilney and blackberries and the feel of garden soil beneath her feet, much like Ultima— But not.

Everywhere they asked her, ‘And who are you?’ and initially it had been such a simple question. But the answer was becoming more and more difficult to even whisper, where once it had been such a thing simple thing to say, to shout – I am! The Lady Ultima, crowned fairest by the stars in heaven and the birds beneath it! The river knows me. The earth keeps me. Every tree and every rock in this blessed Wood sings my name, and if you ask them (head high, smiling cheekily, honest as only children can be), they will tell you: “I … am … ”

Startled, for starters.

“Oh!” Her wings fanned automatically, though the dark, wave-touched sand was solid, capable, and did not fail her. “Oh, you small, dear, precious little—” An ear flicked forward, her chin lifting after it.

Girl, color of sunlight blazing around the flat black silhouette of a mountain. Fire. Consuming, but warm. “You look like a sunset,” Ultima said simply, smiling almost shyly in reply. That wasn’t a word she would’ve used to describe herself before this, but for a minute it didn’t trouble her. The two girls on the beach and the fox spinning around their heels like a dust devil – she couldn’t see it, being a part of the picture, but she felt it. And it felt right. Soft. Delicate, like anything new does. “Like one I saw here, not too long ago. It’s really lovely. Your coat,” she added.

And she had more to say – about the sea and how she hadn’t come from it but she knew someone who had – about how she’d never even known the word “sea” or “ocean” until she came here – about how everything had changed. But the words couldn’t come for some reason, that soft, delicate thing sitting at the top of her lungs, and before she could roll it away: ‘Good morning, ladies. I hope I haven’t disturbed you so early on.

Her head flicked up again, the smile faltering just barely as the stallion trotted forward, clumps of sand scattering around his fetlocks. She’d been an open door a moment ago, but she felt it closing again, slowly, slowly, shutting a little light away as the hinges swung.

“Good morning, sirs, miss,” she said, glancing at Natraj, and then Tandavi, bright as an ember on the edge of her vision. “It is rather early, isn’t it? I suppose neither of us musketeers were expecting to see another face before the sun was properly risen. I’m –” The curtsy was a deep-seated habit. “Ultima.” The faint, ambivalent smile was new. “Of the World's Edge. And the pleasure is mine.”
dear god, make me a bird so i can fly far away from here

@Tandavi @Lotherarius LATE SORRY XOXOXO
please tag ultima in all posts!
force/magic a-ok, shy of killing/maiming her!