the Rift

[DROP] Southward, to the Sea [EARTH MAGIC DROP]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Event
The river runs shallow, though the reason is not that hard to come by for once.  Overhead, the sky is bright and blue, not a trace of white skirting through, as it has been for weeks.  Below, the river babbles and runs south towards the sea, wondering if it will ever rain again, or if it will dry up into clay embankments, lost until another deluge brings it to life again.

Alongside this river, the world is still green, but beyond, the grass is golden, the leaves of the trees weary, and the thistle blooms dry and crispy with heat.  In some patches, the earth is charcoal black, maimed by the gnashing of flame born from the dryness of this particularly stern Tallsun, pulled across the earth by wind that was almost hotter than the air when it was still.  

This far south, even the riverside was unpleasant, and even the fine mist rising up from the banks of the water is almost immediately devoured by the thirsty air.  Occasionally, that overly hot wind buffets through, drawing patterns in the surface of the water, and, on this wind, lilts the sound of laughter.

The heat does not affect these cheerful fellows, their shining wings blurred with the speed of their movement as they flit back and forth across the water, their bodies spilling silver, emerald, and gold dust across the surface of the water.  What they are is relatively undeterminable from shining balls of radiance, each the same shining, earthy hue as the dust cascading from them, but they are laughing none the less, in a chorus of sound that seems to be in perfect time with the others.  All about their dancing flight, the smell of earth, flowers, and bark fill the air.

The whole scene is ethereal, and peaceful.  Nearby, some of the wildlife have gathered to watch whatever they are play.

“Oh, it looks like a lion!” rises the melody of one, the others singing in time agreement and new ideas as the dust swirls and ripples, “or a manticore maybe!” Laughter occasionally seizes them when the image is thought to be something absurd, such as what they see next.

“That is griffon with a flower for a beak!” they lilt with high pitched, excited delight, whirling over the surface of the water in wild circles and pirouettes, the water coated in a thick dusting that glimmers in the sun, southward to the sea.

What pretty, laughing shinies you’ve found!  How will you progress?  This is an Earth Magic drop!  Participants have 72 hours to respond to each round.  Please include any previous refusals for Earth Magic or any extra rolls you would like to use.  Good luck to everyone!
pure randomness
Image Credit

Johnny Posts: 161
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 13 hh :: 10 years
Jellybean :: Common Griffin :: Molten Dagger Sarah

Alright alright, I know. I’m not supposed to be walking around Helovia during Tallsun. There’s that whole “hey Johnny you might melt and die” thing going on and yeah, that’s kind of a big deal or whatever especially now that I have a family. I GUESS I’m supposed to be responsible now, and not - you know - run off to the south and die. But whatever okay, some of the plants that I’ve been experimenting with for fabric only are good to gather during the warm months and, let’s face it, now that I’ve done the do I’m feeling pretty badass.

So yeah, I’m a rebel now.

Plus I have this handy magic that keeps the air around me cool so that I don’t melt.

Anyway, so I’m travelling south being all daredevil like. But I’m being smart too - because it’s taking an awful lot of energy to chill the air around me when it’s so damn hot - and sticking to forests and shade as much as I can. The cold air has the benefit of keeping some of the bugs away because man am I ever their favourite dish during the summer! My red peppermint tail is non-stop as it flicks across my back to try to get them away but as I do so I keep hitting Jellybean in the butt with it and then she gets upset. Fortunately she has developed something of a taste for flies but… unfortunately she’s not very good at catching them.

We’re milling about in the Thistle Meadow, hiding in the shade of one of the great oak trees that dapple it until the sun goes down and we can emerge safely to gather plants, when some bright flashes of colour catch my attention. Not Jellybean’s, sadly, because she’s trying to catch my tail as it swishes. But I’m paying attention. Some funny little things are dropping dust and sparkles all in the river and let me tell you, that’s pollution my friends. Littering! No matter how pretty it is!

“Well that can’t be good for the fish.” I comment to myself. I abandon the shelter of the tree - quickly calling on my magic to surround me and keep me safe from the heat that threatens to melt me down - and drift towards the now-shimmering river, keeping an eye on the glowing creatures that were darting back and forth. From my experience, it was typically unwise to talk back to such magical looking creatures so I settle for peering curiously into the water, trying to see if any fish bellies were floating in the shallow waters already.

It's the perfect time of day
To throw all your cares away

image credits

seeking:
earth x light: can craft addictive candies from plants

prior refusals: one and two
and I'd like to use 2x extra VOTG rolls from my prize list
[Image: Johnny%20by%20Aud_zpsi3ssx2s1.gif]
magic and physical force permitted at all times
vigorous licking strongly encouraged
please tag in all posts

Syrena Posts: 207
Dragon's Throat Forger
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 hh :: 7 years
Thelxiepeia :: Royal Rougarou :: Water Kyra
Syrena
let the water take me
She does not spend much time in the meadow. It’s too far from the sea for her to care about this place. But it is on the way from one place to the next more often than it isn’t. So she passes through it often enough, sticking as close to the river for as long as she can, and otherwise hating this place. Particularly in Tallsun, when the weather has decided to be extra hot with a side of miserable. Fires dot the landscape in the meadow, just as they do in the Falls, and seriously why do I live here? keeps running through her head like a mantra as she walks.

She could just go live at the beach. Ignore everything and everyone and spend the rest of her short, mortal life at the ocean’s edge. She could join one of those outcast groups she runs into so often in the Threshold and tell them they can find her at the beach, if they need something. The idea keeps coming to her, though she still hasn’t figured out just what they could offer her. And, at least when the Falls isn’t on fire, it’s actually quite lovely. But it’s also rather dead, and she’s not necessarily the type of mare who wants to work-really-hard-and-make-something-great-again. Granted, she actually does visit the Threshold. Sometimes. But she’s terrible at it, so she’s not actually sure why she bothers.

She’s lost in her rather grumpy thoughts when the sound of laugher cuts into them. Laughter does not belong in her silent pity party. She knows Helovia well enough by now to guess that whatever lies at the end of that laughter is something she wants nothing to do with. But of course, that means it’s also likely something worth dealing with, because she wants whatever tiny shreds of magic that Helovia will give her. So, against her better judgment and against her own wishes, she forces her feet in the direction of the laughter.

Pixies. Fairies. Whatever they want to be called. That’s what they remind her of, anyway, the little balls of light that come into view. It’s a very different day and a very different atmosphere than the last strange creature that she found, but still, somehow the general concept of fairies plagues her through all these little adventures. “Hell,” she mutters to herself, keeping quiet because even she knows it doesn’t do to piss off magical creatures. Even balls of light. They could probably kill her in a literal flash. They are also coating what tiny bit of water is left in the river in some strange, magical filth, and she wants to yell at them to leave the poor river alone. But again, pissing magical creatures off…

She’s not the first here, and certainly not the last. There’s a stallion made of…wait, seriously? Candy? Candy. Okay, whatever. She settles in to watch the flying blobs of light, keeping her distance from the candy stallion, and if she can help it, anyone else who might show up. It’s already hot, she’s probably going to get blasted by a tiny ball of light. She doesn’t need to rub elbows with strangers too.

"words"

darya87 | larfsalot
on deviantart

Seeking:
:: [Magic: earthxwater (U) | ability to cultivate water plants in any amount of water and manipulate their movement/growth]
:: [Restrictions | still limited use in battle? must have water present (at least a puddle)]
Wishlist
No prior refusals

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Reli

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

if you could only understand, through my heart and my veins

I gave it all, I'll give it all again

--

When Alysanne left the Edge she actually felt a little guilty - as though she should be staying in and, well, doing whatever queens did. The feeling that she was abandoning the Edge just because she wanted to go stretch her legs (and her wings) somewhere else was one she hoped would fade in time. Surely nothing changed about her freedom with the new rank! She was just being silly.

Once she was away from the Edge she practiced her take-offs a couple times before finally beating her wings and rising into the air somewhat smoothly. Hemlock was beside her in a moment, his black eyes glinting with laughter. “It’s just common sense,” She pointed out through their bond with a roll of her eyes. “If we walk we’ll be in this terrible heat longer!” The chuckles emanating from him made it clear that he didn’t believe her - but whatever got her into the skies was something he wouldn’t complain about. He was a small brown dot compared to her size when her magnificent wings were spread and he weaved around her with ease and delight.

They flew together towards the meadow where Aly planned to attempt a graceful landing. Hemlock’s keen eyes spotted the strange lights near the stream first - recognizing the signs of magic. The memory of their visit from the fairy creature on the shores of the Riptide Isles was still fresh on their minds, Aly’s glass and purple halter tinkling softly as her wings beat and her head moved as if to remind her of the gift. What did these lights have in store?

Keeping in mind the lessons from Lyanna, the painted pegasus angled her wings and drifted towards the ground a little ways away from the gathering group around the lights. She hardly wanted to stumble right into any of them if she made a mistake! Fortunately, though she landed a little hard it took just a few trotting paces to reacquaint herself with the ground. Green eyes find the group and she trotted forward, briefly looking at the two horses already present before her gaze latched on to the weaving creatures of light. “What are you up to?” She asked the lights with a faint smile, watching the beauty of their dance with joy.

-- alysanne

the devoted

art by percyvelle & coding by Kyra

Aly is seeking:
Earth x Light | pale, coloured flowers grow in the covert feathers of the topside of her wings which can be eaten to heal minor afflictions

prior refusals: one
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds

The Thistle Meadow had become a place of remembrance for the spy and her companion. However, it was also a parallel universe in which to take refuge from the brutal heat of TallSun in the South. With Gyda safely stowed away in the blissful shade of the oasis, likely distracted by colorful desert flowers, her mother felt comfortable travelling north. Gyda had an eye for beautiful things like herself and Essetia was quite proud of the miracle she was blessed enough to called her daughter. Yet, that niggling desire to roam had not left her since giving birth— in fact, it only seemed to grow more intense. Even as she’d planted the seed of distraction for her daughter to become enamored by, Essetia felt guilty after sneaking away toward their borders, unwilling to look back.

But the Meadow wasn’t far from home and she silently promised to return at the next daybreak, when the sun would again find her fresh-faced filly alive and well. Gyda would smile as she always did and she would resume her antics until sleep finally swept her off her tiny feet again. Those were the moments Essetia cherished as a mother; she enjoyed the peaceful look of happiness when Gyda finally succumbed to a deep and restful slumber. Her eyes would flutter and twitch as she dreamed and Essetia would watch and smile, refusing to sleep until she was certain Gyda wouldn’t simply disappear from her life. She was too beautiful an angel… and if lost, Essetia would be destroyed.

With Romul leading the way, Essetia and her wolf made their way back into Thistle Meadow, somehow awestruck by its lack of grandeur from before. It didn’t look anything like it had last season and Essetia  had been utterly distracted when she’d met the Basin mare called Zyanya there only weeks before.

As the pair bustled through the tall grasses and abundance of wild flowers, they heard an interesting trilling from the nearby river banks. They considered the idea of company for a moment, almost deciding against it, before growing more curious by the appearance of a crimson maned pony working his way through the tree line in search of the disturbance in question. When Essetia looked to Romul, trying to gain insight, the wolf looked back and, silently, they resolved to trail the little stallion toward the source of mysterious laughter. “Right behind you,” Romul soothed as the spy approached the shady grove at a brisk, but nervous trot.

The two made their way down to the riverbed and watched, mezmorized, as glowing orbs dropped shimmering dust along the water’s gleaming surface. The pony, who was unfamiliar to them, had taken to studying the river’s current for reasons even more unknown, while Essetia and Romul slowly made their way closer to the brilliant orbs and their onlookers. Forest creatures had gathered around to fantasize about the origin of the fluttering globes of light, and Essetia was enamored by the trails of silver and gold left in their wake. On impulse, the spy ducked toward the water’s edge where a small gathering of golden powder had settled against the muddy embankment. She nudged the accumulation with the soft velvet of her muzzle before pulling away, mystified, with a gold spattered nose. “This is… beautiful,” she sighed in spite of herself. As beside herself as she was, the spy hardly noticed the presence of two other mares down the stream, one well-suited for the water’s edge, and one so much... Perhaps if she had, she would have initiated conversation with one or the other, but it appeared a more self-serving atmosphere anyway.  

Essetia & Romul
image credits
Table by Nicole (Niki)

Seeking--
[Magic: Dark x Earth:: Ability to summon shadow wolves that resemble Romul (their colors would vary from black to brown timber wolves)]
[Restrictions: Cannot be felt but can be seen]

Prior Refusals--
Link

I would also like to use 2 extra VOTG rolls from my list

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

VOLTERRA
you will remember me for centuries
The heat is stifling, overwhelming. It grips him, smothers him, catches in his throat and burns in his nostrils, makes him long for winter and blessed coolness. He tries to avoid the south, where the temperatures are even worse, but it is not always possible. Some days, he has to travel south and simply bear the consequences; today is one of those days.

It's the lights that draw him. His dragons are off hunting, so it's his own eyes that detect the bright twinkles in the distance - it is probably a relief his companions are elsewhere, as they would no doubt have attempted to make a meal of whatever creatures are generating the kaleidoscope of colours. The stallion wonders what they are; pixies, fairies, demons? Whatever they are, he has been around long enough to know that whenever a strange something happens, it is usually good. It usually means a Helovian is to be blessed by power. Perhaps it shall be him.

As the goliath gets closer, he sees a myriad of different creatures swarming around the lights; it is definitely good that his dragons are elsewhere, as they would have attempted to feast upon the gathered wildlife. That certainly wouldn't have earnt him any favours with whatever hidden beast is going to offer their services to the Helovian populace.

There's already a small crowd gathered; a handful of mares and a small stallion who smells....divine, actually. That is unusual - stallions are usually musky, reeking, piss-soaked creatures, and Volterra includes himself in that description. For a male to smell nice, delicious even....he eyeballs the oddly-coloured unicorn warily, wondering what strange spell he's casting on those around him.

His focus turns to the river, and to the lights. He says nothing; if they have to do something, it'll soon become apparent.

LINEART: DARYA87.DA

Seeking an upgrade to his existing magic:

:: [ Magic: EarthxFire | Can create and animate golems made of stone with fire inside them. ]
:: [ Restrictions | Can create 1 large or 3 small golems; last one post in battle and cannot be larger than Volterra. ]

Upgrade: Golems can breathe fire that causes minor burns, and when they crumble they release a small wave of fire.

one refusal

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Kid Posts: 122
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Colt :: Equine :: 15hh :: 3 years HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
dark
Mother is growing restless now, her desperation to keep me in top shape and well behaved showing in the way her eyes had hardened from liquid steel to solid stone— she does not let me take a longer break than necessary, hungering to see me crumb beneath the pressures of her program (since when did I agree to this?). She flees when the moon rises to its full potential among the stars, stout body gone with a wicked snarl and scampering hooves. She never looks back when she leaves.

I don't mind it, not until I turn back to a coldness that consumes me, a loneliness I choose not to dwell on— but it's there, always waiting. There is no one else in this forest but me, no Sabre, no Mother (soon she will never return), just a quiet boy dreaming of power and success.

Instead of letting the rattling branches and hungry shadows consume me, I wander past the boundaries of the trees, leaving the Deep forest behind me. Instead I pursue the gentle tug and pull, the attraction of power that I so greedily seek out— I felt it once before in my own home, surrounded by the demon and it's quaking white bones. I lost to equally salty child, whom I'd now forged an odd, almost friendship with (if one could call it that). I hope I won't be losing to her today.

Now it's another person to possibly lose to, bubblegum eyes immediately hardening at the idea of Volterra being present here, his titan body towering above all the others who've so quietly gathered. Fasz.. They're watching peculiar little things create images in the water, shimmering and bold as they swirl down stream. Volterra is silent while the others ooh and ahh, speaking their two cents and asking their questions. I looked at Volterra with my eyes drawn back, looking back down into the water and keeping quiet about what the little beings were doing (it was lovely, throw glitter on me so I can be even prettier).

"Talk."
kid
I'm bringing sexy back

image | coding

kid wants -- dark x water | his blood causes a heightened sex drive to those who come in contact with it
» lasts only 1 post in battle or 3 posts in a normal thread, how intense the effects are depends on how much blood is consumed
wishlist

made by reli

tag me in everything

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan
My thoughts are the cold kind,
I've got storm clouds brewing behind my eyes

Summer. It was not her cup of tea. Too hot, too bright, and if the mild weather of her first Tallsun had been a pain, this year's heat was just about knocking her to her knees. For all that she loved her home - the trees, the mist, the moist ocean breeze - it was definitely not the place to be if you preferred to keep cool. As the temperatures climbed the porcelain filly withdrew into shadows once more, grew nearly nocturnal in an effort to spare herself the pains of sunburn, heat-stroke and the numbing, constantly throbbing pains in a leg that refused to heal. In turn she was probably sparing everyone else the discomfort of her mercurial temper, so overall she thought of it as a win-win situation.

Still. Just disappearing wasn't her favorite way to deal with things, and she did have responsibilities in the herd - unofficial, perhaps, but duties none the less. Expectations to embed into others and live up to, plans to forge, a future to build... Busy busy.

As summer reached its peak, Erthë cruised southward on lazy thermals. High above the ground the temperatures were not nearly as oppressive, and without any clouds to block her vision she was granted an unobstructed view of the landscape below. Mile after mile of rolling hills, woodlands and plains, towering mountains and winding streams that glittered like molten silver in the bright sunlight. It was beautiful, breathtaking - but the drought was also made painfully obvious from this altitude. The verdure was faded and dusty, the grass yellow and parched and the serpentine path of the Thistle River was marked not so much by the muddy banks laid bare by low water as by the belt of healthier greens that flanked it. The stench of smoke and fire still clung to her after passing over the Hidden Falls, an acrid burn at the back of the throat that brought to mind memories of loss, pain and worry. She was of half a mind to go back there when she had made sure everyone at home were alright - she had friends in the Falls, people she cared about just as much as her own family.

Something on the ground caught her eye. A gathering, by the looks of it. Not entirely in the mood for socializing, curiosity was nevertheless the bane of her existence. Telling herself that it would only be a quick peek, that she wasn't going to stick around and delay herself, she angled the wings and began the descent, drawing wide circles of shadow over the crowd. Familiar faces came into focus once she was close enough to make out shape and color; faces of family, of herd, of friends; but also of strangers, and by the Gods it was hot! As was her habit, Erthë reached out for the moisture in the air to freeze it, attempted to envelop herself in a cooling mist and spare herself the merciless beating of burning rays. But there was hardly anything there to work her magic on, and what little ice she managed to produce hung like a faint shimmer in the air around her - only to vaporize, as though it had never been there at all.

Remaining in the air, circling slowly over the ground the filly peered down to see what the fuss was about. A brow rose as she spotted a couple of colored... somethings flitting about over the surface of the water, tittering and playing as though the world had not suddenly turned into one giant sauna. It was cute alright, quaint and lovely but why were all these people standing around, staring at them? One face in particular was unexpected in this kind of company. Alysanne was one thing, but since when did Volterra stick around for shows like these?

It made very little sense in her mind, and it fueled her intrigue enough to stick around for at least a few moments longer, despite the growing urge to do something reckless. Like diving headlong into the river, or maybe evaporating along with the remaining water.

Erthë
And my heart will be blacker than your eyes
when I'm through with you
image | coding

Previous refusal; Link

Seeking magic upgrade;

:: [ Magic: LightxWater (U)| Able to rapidly freeze any liquids around her ]
:: [ Restrictions | Works in 15ft radius on liquids AND in containers (ie: bodies etc). ]

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Tyrath Posts: 61
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2 :: 2 [birdsong] HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Harcos :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Nova

What are these magical tricks and happenings to a colt like him, who stands upon the precipice of something greater than them all, who commands magic to turn his body into power and fire made flesh and bone? Whose blood sings the songs of light and fire? Little, that prideful grumble in the back of his mind whispers, still, these magical creatures hold power he requires. He is still in the youthful summer of his foalhood, and there is a niggling wonder to be had in the world that demands his coltish inquisitiveness investigate and know.

Ashen wings carried him downward, on heated wind which washed over his form with each roll and bluster. He had spent much of his time by the Oasis when he wasn't on the mainland, seeking sweet, blessed reprieve in the cool waters and the shade beneath the canopy of tree's which dotted the sidelines. Being by the water was an enjoyable side benefit on the mainland, at least it would offer some reprieve from the acrid warmth with the backwash of Hidden Falls' misfortune this tallsun. He landed with an audible thump, cloven hooves dug into the chapped earth as his wings folded neatly at his sides. Others have already arrived, whether they were drawn by the impish sounds of laughter and glee from the radiant creatures or simply they were in the right place at the right time, is anyone's guess by the Colt's idle thought, not that he particularly cared why the rest of them had gathered. No, he spots his father and his brother present in the gathered bodies, their eyes and jaws focused and clenched, not bugled and slack as they joined in with the infantile coos and googly eyes.

"Szia Apa." He mumbled out in a quiet greeting as he came to stand beside Volterra, skull marked head lightly tilted to better look at what had brought them all here. He noted that Volterra's dragon's were decidedly absent for this get together, and he briefly wondered how far away they were. There were other companion's dotted around, had they accompanied their bonded in hopes of being of an extra pair of paws and talons for them to utilize? A small snort escaped him and he turned his thoughts and eyes away from the group and back onto the shimmering bodies.

He didn't fail to note the small red and white stallion smells of sweetness and delight, with minty undertones to the awfully strong influx of sugar which assaults his nostrils. The filly with the gnarled legs hadn't escaped his notice either, circling above the crowd like a battered swan still retaining a flicker of her ethereal beauty despite the obvious handicap.

They weren't the reason he was here, no the object that the creatures clearly had within their possession was why he was here, and why he was ready to compete against his brother and father for it.

"Talk."
Oh, to be a dragon
Tyrath

image | coding

No prior refusals

Seeking an upgrade to his following magic;
[Earth x Dark :: active] :: able to transform into a Gold Dragon.
→ [upgrade] :: can now transform into a Goshawk.
[Image: tyrath_by_bronzehalo_d9yw5wg_by_arahvir-d9yx9ov.png]

Milo Posts: 60
Outcast
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 2 years [Birdsong]
Jen

Time does me no favors. I am older but no wiser, for there is nothing new to learn. Nothing to learn save for the fact that this world is cruel and this life that I have been given was some grave cosmic mistake.

I'll accept that, though. I like to think I've always been good at accepting things, if one defines acceptance as ignoring what hurts until it's very far away--just some spot in the distance, something easy to forget. Seeing the twinkling little lights buzzing over the surface of the river reminds me of those things, those things I act as if I care nothing for.

But those are the things that define me, in the end. So maybe that's why I walk closer to their shine. It's a nice way to think about it, a nice reason to slip into my silent lips. I won't tell anyone else why I approach, for there are no friends to be made here. The only familiar faces are those of other foals that I feel I've already outgrown, but remember vaguely from the casting of bones in the deep woods. They do not concern me.

No, to be honest, the reason I draw closer is to follow the crowd. I blend in well, and I have found that this mimicry allows me to function on a level more understood, even if I will not speak. Besides, gatherings like these tend to yield rewards, and I am no fool. I will not even claim to be unaffected by greed, for though it is a petty thing, it is an animal one too.

Every day, it becomes clearer to me that I am animal. I step closer to hear the noises of the little lights, and tilt my ears towards their shining and away from that of the crowd around me. They are like angry ghosts, shadowing me and cluttering my timeline. I don't need them, but at least they can help me blend in.

""

m i l o

[WaterxDark :: Can use moisture from the surroundings to summon waves]
[Restrictions :: Extends 5m radius from body; can create up to three small or one large wave.]

one prior refusal

Ahvelyn Posts: 44
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 13 [Orangemoon] HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen
Ahvelyn

Helovia had not changed in the time that I had laid low in its lands. It was still magical and inexplicable, still filled with wonders that I was too old to be shocked by. When I arrived at the Thistle Meadow that night I was more preoccupied with keeping my hair free of the tangling grasses than attending to whatever exciting event had gathered the crowd. Nonetheless I found myself moving closer, craning my neck to see over the mass at whatever small thing had caught their collective eyes.

When it was only a few small lights, I chuckled. I'd seen lights like those die out of eyes, it was no particular treat to watch them hover above a drying river. Thusly, when the badger-faced mare pronounced their beauty in an almost breathless manner, I couldn't help but roll my eyes. I cast my gaze at a skull-faced stallion nearby, who seemed almost as uninterested as I was. He certainly had chosen to say nothing in awe of the little things, and I appreciated that much. I only snorted at him, not much for talking to strangers, but I made a note to watch how he acted for the rest of the encounter.

It was Johnny that I moved closer to, for though I had found his sweetness to be almost irritably cloying at times it was good to see someone I knew that I could assure wouldn't be after my back. After all, could the pony even reach me if he tried? Something like a smile slipped over my features and I approached him from behind, reaching to try and nudge him behind and between the ears. "Neither is your sugar I imagine, Johnny," was all I said as I looked down at the lights, hearing faint words coming from their nondescript forms. As if not sure that they were really speaking, I looked around. There was nothing to see, however, but a collection of Helovia's oddest. Some foals--including the snow-white one from the battles of the Rift gods, now older but still small, still vulnerable in my eyes--but not one of the gathering looking like they made any sense together.

But that was helovia, wasn't it?

""

Quotes and notes
background image credit to Angela Wolf at flickr.com

Seeking:
[EarthxDark:: Can summon steel blades on body from stripes.]
[Restrictions:: Blades can be removed with extreme pain and rust away over site-year. Can craft 3 small, 2 medium, or 1 large blade per season.]

No priors.

Mentions @Volterra @Johnny and Erthe @Chan

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Event
If they notice the gathering horses of Helovia, the capricious lights don’t let on. The fluttering flicker of their wild to and fro across the water continues, their laughter and gesticulations still singing out in harmony. It’s not until one of the strangers approaches that they tear their attentions away from their game. Now, instead of the water, its Alysanne and the ground around her being dusted, the collective of gleaming baubles zooming around her with evident delight. It’s not often the big ones talk to them, and they are definitely excited to have the attention of the pretty pegasus.

“Water pictures!” they chime in cheerful unison, giggling with breathless abandon as they whip back to the river. Another wild twirl over the water later, and they’re chattering at the black and white mare again swiftly, their incandescent bodies taking turns bobbing towards the water (the only way balls of light can point). “Look, look! Sometimes they are pretty or funny or wise!”

Twirling together with unreal speed down a length of the water, a large portion of the slowly traveling water is covered in their glimmering glitter. It’s only now that they seem to really notice the others gathered around at all, occasionally darting towards them before returning to the water, to ensure there is plenty of dust for the horses to look at.

“What do you see?” they ask through excited giggles, hovering in place over the water, trickling earthy glow, “we see lots of things!”

72 hours to respond!
pure randomness
Image Credit

Johnny Posts: 161
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 13 hh :: 10 years
Jellybean :: Common Griffin :: Molten Dagger Sarah

There are more gathering around us and I don’t really pay much attention to them - because the littering, fairy creatures are much more interesting. So you can imagine that when someone nudged me from behind, it startled me quite a lot! Jellybean was useless, of course - snoozing away on my back and proving that her dog-half isn't a very good guard dog.

Luckily, the nudge was followed by a a familiar voice, letting me know who it was. I released a bright bubble of laughter at Ahvelyn’s words. “You’ve got a point there, Ahvelyn!” Whenever I took a bath I probably left behind a fine film of sugar and peppermint for the local wildlife, not to mention by fellow Helovians. “It’s so wonderful to see you again.” I was very, very careful to make sure to leave off of the ‘my dear’ that echoed inside of my mind, having learned that lesson quite some time ago.

As these things go, I’m distracted from chatting away with my dear friend because the magical little creatures demand our attention once more.

They are sprinkling their pollution dust all over the place and I inch a little closer to get a look at the water as they beckon us. When they ask us what we see, it starts to click in my mind. Water pictures they said! It’s a game?! Like cloud-gazing! Only with glitter!!! Oh my gumdrops as if that’s just not the most amazing thing ever. I’m eager to take part now, scanning the multicoloured dust as it swirls and moves in the water, my green eyes bright. “I see… oh there! A manatee with a top hat in its flipper, like it’s about to take a bow!!”

It's the perfect time of day
To throw all your cares away

image credits

mentions @Ahvelyn

seeking:
earth x light: can craft addictive candies from plants

prior refusals: one and two
and I'd like to use 2x extra VOTG rolls from my prize list
[Image: Johnny%20by%20Aud_zpsi3ssx2s1.gif]
magic and physical force permitted at all times
vigorous licking strongly encouraged
please tag in all posts

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

if you could only understand, through my heart and my veins

I gave it all, I'll give it all again

--

She hadn’t known what to expect from the small, dancing creatures when she asked her question but she was delighted to see them take to the question warmly. Alysanne laughed in delight as they flew around her, sprinkling her with bits of their dust - her eyes dancing with joy at the sight of them - not minding at all the settling glitter in her mane and wings.

Hemlock, not having landed in his customary spot between her ears right away, was glad to have missed the dusting himself but scowled at the bits of dust that clung to his talons when he did land. Would this stuff even wash off?

But his bonded didn’t mind - the simple and beautiful gestures of the small creatures made her worries seem years away. Soon they answered her question, explaining that they were doing in the water - making pictures! “How wonderful!” That certainly seemed like a great way to spend your time and Alysanne shifted a little closer to the water so she could get a better look at what they were making. The different colours swirled and indeed were painting shapes in the current and her green eyes looked up to them as they beckoned everyone forward.

She kept her wings close to her body, to make sure she did not take up too much room on the shores of the stream, before peering in herself. A small laugh escaped her at the answer from a short, red-maned stallion that was present and she focused her green eyes to see what she would find.

It took a moment, but the shape was unmistakable and it made her heart hammer inside her chest. Much of the cheer was gone from her voice when she spoke - and though she was sad, there was an undeniable love there too. “I see a puffin… like the one my son has for a companion.” Her son who was missing.

Was this a sign? A sign that he would come home to her? Or was it just something her heart wanted to see and her eyes obliged?

-- alysanne

the devoted

art by percyvelle & coding by Kyra

Aly is seeking:
Earth x Light | pale, coloured flowers grow in the covert feathers of the topside of her wings which can be eaten to heal minor afflictions

prior refusals: one
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Syrena Posts: 207
Dragon's Throat Forger
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 hh :: 7 years
Thelxiepeia :: Royal Rougarou :: Water Kyra
Syrena
let the water take me
The mare that comes next actually asks the balls of light what they are doing. This thought never crossed Syrena’s mind, but then again, talking to anyone unless she had to never crossed her mind. So the balls of light shouldn’t take it personally. Syrena just didn’t socialize. Okay fine, she did now, but only because she had to. It’s how normal horses function in society, and she was now a normal horse stuck in society, even if she didn’t want to be.

Still, she was pretty much terrible at it. Unlike, it seems, the pretty black and white pegasus who just looks too damn kind. She might almost prefer the candy stallion. Almost.

More come, as they always do. Some with comments on their lips, some with looks in their eyes. Syrena watches them somewhat impassively, not really caring, but growing tired of the happy little balls of light. Still, she waits for whatever is to come. For whatever hideous thing rises out of the ground or fanged beast that comes to chase them. It seems so unlikely that they will only be greeted with cute little balls of light (though she doesn’t assume they aren’t deadly in their own right).

But deadly or not, they just keep playing, flitting around the black and white pegasus and chattering back to her. They seem pleased that she’s paid attention to them. And it’s only after they flit about the pegasus, covering her in glitter, that they notice the rest of the equines gathered. And then they start flitting around here and there, leaving trails of glitter. Syrena resists the urge to step away when one comes her way. She does not want glitter on her, but they might find that offensive. And she doesn’t need to offend the buggers.

Besides, they are now encouraging them all forward (oh, what a cluster that’s going to be), asking them what pictures they see in the water and the glitter. She bites her tongue, resisting the urge to tell them she sees water pollution. Just because she finds that little joke funny doesn’t mean they will. Instead, she makes her way toward the river, trying to avoid the others as best she can, and stares down at the glitter as it floats on what little water remains in the river.

It takes a while before anything emerges, but when it does, the image she finds is no surprise. Even here, even so far from the sea, the memories haunt her. But they are beautiful memories. “Sirens,” she says, her voice quiet, and though there’s little emotion to it, there’s something vaguely like reverence in that tone. Reverence mixed with just a hint of sorrow. My sisters, she thinks, though does not say it. “It’s the sea. Do you see how the water pulls away, how the horses form out of the seafoam on the crest of the wave? There,” she points with her nose, “She’s halfway formed, head and torso and front legs, the rest still a wave. And there,” she points again, a little farther left. “Another, but she’s fully formed. All of them made of seafoam and water.”

Oh, how she misses them. Oh, how she wishes they were not just imaginary things made of memories and glitter.

"words"

darya87 | larfsalot
on deviantart

Seeking:
:: [Magic: earthxwater (U) | ability to cultivate water plants in any amount of water and manipulate their movement/growth]
:: [Restrictions | still limited use in battle? must have water present (at least a puddle)]

No prior refusals

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Reli

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

VOLTERRA
you will remember me for centuries
The next to arrive is, to Volterra's great astonishment, Kid. He supposes he shouldn't be surprised; why shouldn't his children seek power? Indeed, it is expected of them. He dips his head to the grullo boy, but remains silent as a couple more trickle in, until yet another familiar face arrives. Tyrath stands next to him and offers a greeting, which the stallion returns with a gentle huff of air towards the tribrid colt. He looks back to the queer creatures by the river without really seeing them, because suddenly his heart....is not in the game.

He is a father, and his sons are here for power. Volterra himself has his dragons, his golems, his structures, and - if he can force his frigid body to feel anything deeper than roiling hatred and wanton lust - his ability to transform into a mythical monster. He wants more; he wants magic that ripples through his body, magic as strong as the muscles that lace his sturdy frame. A well-placed stroke of magic could be the difference between victory and defeat in battle (although, as the leviathan constantly reminds himself, a true warrior must rely on nothing except their natural assets). Powerful magic commands respect, incites fear; it adds to the reputation of a king when he's alive, and the legacy of one when he's dead.

But his sons....is their need not greater than his? Tyrath can shift into a dragon, a mighty gift in itself, but imagine what else he could do if he received the blessing of this event! Kid, to Volterra's knowledge, has no magic, and perhaps gaining some could elevate him from crude-tongued boy into budding warlord.

The beast hardly notices the creatures speak, asking what he sees. His focus isn't on them - it is on his sons, the boys he brought into the world.

Being a father is not just about snatching a quick release from a willing mare and then leaving her to her fate; it is about claiming responsibility for his actions. It is about making a lifelong vow to protect and nurture this life he's created, no matter how unintentional that creation was. It is about selflessness, and putting somebody else before himself, because he's the reason they're here. It's about sacrifice, it's about doing the right thing and not the easy thing.

None of these traits come easily to the blackened goliath. He is selfish, he is avaricious, he is prone to irresponsibility; and yet what he does next feels completely and utterly natural to him, as though any other option would have been impossible. He looks to the creatures as they ask what the gathered crowd sees; his thunderous rumble of a voice is assured, as though completely at ease with what he's saying. "Whatever prize it is you offer, I am counting myself out of the running for it. Your power would be far better suited with one of my sons." He gestures proudly to each boy in turn.

And with this, he steps backwards. He does not look to either Kid or Tyrath for their approval or thanks - he does not need that, he does not want that. Again, this is unusual. Rarely does Volterra ever do something without an ulterior motive, without some potential for self-gain, but this...this is altruism.

It feels...odd, but strangely pleasant. His heart feels warm, and he holds no regret over the fact that he will not leave here with enhanced powers today. The great monolith stands in stoic silence, content to watch his boys fight for the prize - and praying that one of them receives it.

LINEART: DARYA87.DA

Volterra is forfeiting his place in the drop in order to give Kid or Tyrath a greater chance of winning. However, he's remaining in the thread to see what happens.

Tyrath and Kid mentioned directly.

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Kid Posts: 122
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Colt :: Equine :: 15hh :: 3 years HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
dark
The words that leave Volterra's lips are far from expected, eyes drawing to the great black mass and reeling at the idea that he has enough care for Tyrath and I that he would step back at a chance to win something great. I don't ask him why, instead I simply stand there with confusion accenting my ivory features as he takes a step back and stares straight ahead, choosing to remain proud and valiant even though he'd admitted to giving up his chance of a minor victory. I look to Tyrath for signs of his surprise or gratitude, then back to the faeries that dance over the water with their glittering designs and special prize. What was his motive for this kind of a move?  

I am thankful, somewhere deep in the pit of my gut, that I have a great chance of winning now that there is one less to worry about— but confused at Volterra's actions. What was his reasoning behind such an act? Did he truly seek out his sons' approval and favour that he would go to such lengths? Bubblegum outlines the stern brow and solidified red eyes, solely focused on the sparkling surface the little creatures dance upon rather than the expressions his sons wear (none at all, in my case).

I turn back to the water, looking deep into the churning depths and the shimmering surface, gazing beyond all of that into the nothingness of my soul (shit I'm in too deep). "I see a skull donning a crown," regal and charming as the golden dust swirls and maintains the image. What does it mean? The crown glistens and catches my eye, but the skull stares back with hollow eyes and my stomach twists (why this?). Is there reason behind what I'm seeing? Does it stand for something? An omen, a prophecy, a grand scheme that will soon come into play? My head dips lower towards the water, transfixed by the twisted image displayed before me.

"Talk."
kid
I'm bringing sexy back

image | coding

kids seeking -- dark x water | his blood causes a heightened sex drive to those who come in contact with it
» lasts only 1 post in battle or 3 posts in a normal thread, how intense the effects are depends on how much blood is consumed

made by reli

tag me in everything

Tyrath Posts: 61
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2 :: 2 [birdsong] HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Harcos :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Nova

The creatures danced across the water, their tinkling voices asked what did they see. Tyrath doesn't immediately respond, instead he listened to the others and their responses first. Or, he'd like to have listened if his father's next words hadn't drowned them out with the surprise of what left his pitch black muzzle. At first, he wasn't quite sure he had heard Volterra correctly, ashen ear flicked back followed by the arch of his neck, skull masked face turned to pin the larger stallion with his gaze.

There are many things he'd come to expect from his father, as he had listened to Zhu and Kid's accounts and how they had interacted with one another whenever the rarity was that they all crossed paths at once. He knew where he got his drive for power, and his obsession for the winged reptiles which spewed fire and ice. To have his father openly deny himself the pleasure, the opportunity to further his own quest to glory to let his sons forge ahead? The surprise and shock was written over his chiselled features. In his chest though, bloomed a fire of pride and respect for his sire.

A smugness that his father would give up his own bid  for him and Kid, he would imagine others would not be so bold to bite back their own desires for magic and power. How proudly he gestured to them as well! Horned head raised higher, and his eyes instinctively go to his older brother. He saw the same confusion that had marked his own face, before the fine lines of everything but confusion and surprise had washed them away. After a moment, his eyes returned to his father and he gave him a thankful nod of his head, his muzzle pulled into a faint smile. The show must go on, Volterra had given up his slot so they may stand upon a higher chance, and Tyrath does not want to disappoint. He stepped forward toward the water, leonine tail swept around him to lightly dip into the shimmering surface, the long strands themselves danced in leisured waves with the current. "I see dragon," He began, the golden chains which dangled from his horns jingled with the motions of his head as he tilted it slightly to the left, as though he was watching the image move, "clutching a gilded skull, with the sun at it's back."

"Talk."
Oh, to be a dragon
Tyrath

image | coding

No prior refusals

Seeking an upgrade to his following magic;
[Earth x Dark :: active] :: able to transform into a Gold Dragon.
 → [upgrade] :: can now transform into a Goshawk.
[Image: tyrath_by_bronzehalo_d9yw5wg_by_arahvir-d9yx9ov.png]

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds

It all appeared so surreal in its ambiguity. Creatures had spilled forth from the woodwork, stretching and yawning and pulling away from the dark, mottled trunks of sparse red oaks, until they littered the riverside. They were all extravagant creatures though and ones much more memorable by comparison to the badger-faced spy and her sullen wolf. Essetia’s suspicions were only confirmed when the splendid globes, a tie-dye of gold and silver and bronze, danced about admiring the painted Pegasus mare bold enough to enchant them. Instead of succumbing to the envy that would surely have consumed her under similar circumstances, Essetia smiled and laughed as they doused the mare and her companion in glimmering dust that transformed her dark patchwork into miniature, elegant star systems. They shimmered and glinted in the sun when the mare moved and the big bay was suddenly enamored by the beauty of the wonders unfolding before them all.

However, shortly after, the globes had capered and careened back toward the stream that ran through the very heart of the meadow. They trilled, delighted, as they began to paint their moving portrait, while each of their onlookers peered curiously after them hoping to make sense of their colored trails. As one horse after another announced their findings, Essetia tried desperately to see what each of them claimed to have revealed in the marbled patterns. But, she couldn’t find the manatee or the puffin, the sea horses or the skulls, just a family unlike the one she claimed back home.

I see a father and a mother, a daughter and a son, all holding onto one another,” she attempted to announce as quietly as she could. The image she saw was nothing like the extravagant pictures her compadres had managed to uncover along the river’s unblemished surface. Yet, she enjoyed her own version of events and smiled at the happy faces huddled together against the current. This was how she’d always imagined she’d end up, even if that fantastical idea had yet to come true.  

Essetia & Romul
image credits
Table by Nicole (Niki)

Seeking--
[Magic: Dark x Earth:: Ability to summon shadow wolves that resemble Romul (their colors would vary from black to brown timber wolves)]
[Restrictions: Cannot be felt but can be seen]

Prior Refusals--
Link

I would also like to use 2 extra VOTG rolls from my list

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan
My thoughts are the cold kind,
I've got storm clouds brewing behind my eyes

Oh, so it was a game. That would explain the gathering, if perhaps not the presence of testosterone pumping brutes. Her gaze linger on Volterra for a moment, curious about the young colts by his side - was he heading some kind of outcast band all of a sudden? - but not so much in the mood for chatting that she could be bothered to land. Not that it was needed, really. Barely had she ventured a guess as to whom the boys could be when the stallion made an announcement that nearly had her drop out of the sky.

Sons? But, wait, how... Well of course she knew how, but why, and when, and did he mean sons as in plural? There were two of them? Or even more? And here she had thought he was about her own age, too young to even think about building families. It was shocking, rattling, and for some reason she even felt a bit... sad? No, not sad. Disappointed, yes, that was it. Disappointed that he had found someone to care for, and not told her about it. They were friends, weren't they? At least she had thought so, but.... Suddenly Erthë wasn't so sure.

She was of half a mind to dart over there and question the overfed, clay-brained... man about everything and anything that came to mind, but with some effort the cygnet managed to restrain herself.

Instead, the flighted young valkyrie bit her tongue, decided to mind her own business and returned her attention to the darting lights and the colored dust that swirled over the surface of the water, to the images the tiny voices claimed to see within it. Erthë pursed her lips as she circled around the gathering, trying with all her might to see what the others saw as they called out one by one, but whatever shapes and pictures they perceived really did not strike home with her. To be honest, she did not see much at all except the colors of the dust, the rippling river beneath and the blinding glitter as light hit the smallest of waves.

Was it just that she lacked imagination, or was there really nothing to see?

Despite herself, the filly was becoming absorbed with the challenge. Squinting and angling her head this way and that, she actually touched down in an awkward landing and limped closer to the spectacle, just in case the difference in perspective would aid her. And what do you know, just as the orbs added another layer of glittering matter she too noticed shapes within it, and what she saw made her laugh out loud, surprised and delighted.

"I see butterflies, they're dancing with the moon and the stars! Now I know why you thought this was fun!"

Suddenly elated the girl shot a broad grin towards the others present, and despite her recent lack of enthusiasm - or warm feelings - for the equine, she sidled off towards Volterra and company and offered a familiar nudge of the nose towards a shoulder in greeting.

"You really should play too, you know" she chided him in a lilting manner. "Don't be so focused on if or what you might get out of it. So, what's this then? I had no idea you have kids Vol, introduce me!" Never mind the slight bite of accusation and... something else in her voice, she was over it, everything was fine.

Pale eyes darted between the colts as she settled the wings in at her shoulders and made herself comfortable. They were handsome in the same roughish way as their father, dyed in shades of charcoal and ink with similar facial markings... Really, now that she knew what to look for it was quite obvious that these three were related, even if certain characteristics differed. Her gaze lingered a heartbeat longer on the dark wings and curling horns of the youngest brother - he promised to grow into a handsome beast one day, sinister colors or not.

Erthë
And my heart will be blacker than your eyes
when I'm through with you
image | coding

Previous refusal; Link

Seeking magic upgrade;

:: [ Magic: LightxWater (U)| Able to rapidly freeze any liquids around her ]
:: [ Restrictions | Works in 15ft radius on liquids AND in containers (ie: bodies etc). ]

Talking to @Volterra , @Kid , @Tyrath

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~