the Rift

[OPEN] Untitled

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan
My thoughts are the cold kind,
I've got storm clouds brewing behind my eyes

Returning home after a time of absence, no matter how brief, was always interesting. Things had a habit of changing in the Edge, and for some reason Erthë felt destined to never be present to witness the process.

Draped in the mantle of enchanted night the filly limped along by the border to her homeland, eyes fixed on a trench that cut into the soil like a black scar. She knew the purpose of it, knew that the Goddess had demanded this as a stage in the process of increasing their defenses. But somehow the moon-colored girl hadn't fully realized the scale of the project until she stood before it, hadn't expected things to move along so quickly. The thing did not appear to be entirely complete yet, but it mattered little. Erthë hadn't been there to help, hadn't offered her aid or pretty excuses to skip work, had not been present, and it gnawed at her like a thorn in the frog, like guilt and disappointment.

Following the border south, she paused to rest her leg before a tall, black construction of metal. A gateway decorated by the Moon in her phases, it looked somewhat misplaced where it stood, tucked in between the crumbling remnants of a wall that once would have risen as tall and imposing. The way it was now though, the way it would remain until someone rebuilt the wall or replaced it with something else, the gate appeared almost comical to her, and a bit sad. The herd was working hard under the supervision of Temobvu's watchful eyes, but to what end? To shut the world out, to defend against unseen enemies - ghosts of the mind, or something else she just didn't know about? The Rift wars were over, what was left to fight when the four herds were all thriving and the gods upheld the peace.

Shaking her head quietly the filly, no longer a child nor yet a woman, slipped past the gate and brought her bubble of night with her into the Edge, pushing away the bright midday sunlight as if she by rejecting it could make the day any less hot. At least here there was always moisture to work with, unlike the parched fields and scorching winds of the wilderness. Desperately longing for winter Erthë touched the damp, heavy air with her mind and tweaked it, chilled the drifting droplets in the atmosphere until they froze. The summer warmth quickly melted the ice again, made it evaporate - but as she repeated the process over and over, a thin, silvery mist began to appear around her slender frame, the temperature in her immediate vicinity dropping by several degrees.

It wasn't much in the face of the brutal midsummer heat, but even so it let her draw deep breaths of relief as she picked her way along familiar trails, eagerly looking, smelling, listening for familiar faces and beloved voices.
"I'm home again" Erthë murmured, smiling softly as she allowed the familiar surroundings to soothe her pains and aches and ease away whatever troubles that lingered on her mind.

Erthë
And my heart will be blacker than your eyes
when I'm through with you
image | coding

Baby is home again, come say hi and tell her about all the meeting drama! <3

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

Lyanna still feels a little overwhelmed. Though less so now, with the meeting well enough behind them, with the idea of her new responsibilities beginning to settle comfortably enough on her shoulders. Still, it all seemed like quite a lot, and she didn’t know that she’d actually earned the title she’d been given. It seemed more like default, being the only option when a new doctor was needed. And perhaps, it was. But she knows better than to let that bother her. She knows how to earn the position, knows that she can and will continue to prove herself every day.

Which again, all seems daunting. Which is probably ridiculous coming from a once Princess, but there’s something about playing pretty princess that is just not equivalent to being responsible for the health of an entire herd. It’s made more daunting though by the fact there’s still so many in this herd she doesn’t know. She’s creepily keeping an eye on horses who’s names she can’t match to their face, and it feels far too like invading personal space when she can’t even greet them properly.

So, today, instead of disappearing to the Threshold like she does quite often, she stays in the Edge, wandering through the sweltering kingdom and doing her best to keep to the trees and the mist, taking whatever solace from the sun she can find. Tallsun is brutal here, nothing like the summer she knew back in Morham. They had seasons, but their summer never left parts of the kingdom on fire.

She has no plans for the day, but rather just to amble about, come up with a plan maybe. It’s then that a patch of darkness – too dark to be simply the shade of the trees or the mist – catches her eye. She turns herself in that direction, curious, and makes her way over. It’s not long before the white filly comes into sight. Not quite a girl anymore, not yet a woman grown. Like so many other faces, Lyanna doesn’t know this girl either, though she is familiar at least. Offering a nicker in greeting first, Lyanna makes her way over, noting that right near the cool it is distinctly cooler. Magic of some sort, certainly, and rather useful at that. “Hello, I’m Lyanna,” she offers, nodding a head. “I don’t think we’ve properly met before.”  

watch how i soar.

lyanna

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki

Chan

It wasn't long before attuned senses picked up on movement in the woodland beyond. Finely chiseled ears pricked and honed in on the muffled sound of hooves against moss, of rustling leaves and shifting bramble. When a dark silhouette splashed with pale patches of white entered into her night-time bubble her first thought went to Iona, so much so that the girl nearly called out a gleeful greeting. But upon closer inspection the filly realized that this was a different person indeed; the face of the mare was not entirely unfamiliar, but nor was it one she knew well.  

"Hi there, nice to meet you, Lyanna" she replied, arching the neck in an amicable response to the greeting. "I do believe you're right, I've only seen you briefly at meetings and gatherings. I'm Erthë, Alune's apprentice."

She took pride in that position, and it showed through her otherwise smiling and very polite expression. Young she may be, not yet officially ranked and one of little importance in the scheme of things... but she was fond of her teacher and dared think he placed both trust and faith in her as well. Though whether she was living up to that trust by running off every once in a while was something to consider...

Shaking off the rising doubt before it could take hold of her thoughts Erthë took the opportunity to study the mare before her. She looked young enough, older than herself but not old old. Dark of coat and wings, pale of hair and with a curious blue tint to the tip of feather and tassel that almost equaled the blue sheen in her own plumes. Her eyes looked kind, but apart from the touch of color there was little that made Lyanna stand out in the mind of the antlered dove.

"Have you been living here a long time?" she asked, in no hurry to keep moving now that she had someone to talk to. "I've been here for little over a year now, but it feels like the Edge has always been home."

Memories of a hidden vale far to the north were faded and old by now, and what little attachment she might have had to the places visited in her earliest youth was all but gone. Erthë did not let that bother her, she was content being where she was and had no desire to leave this land, the people who dwell within its boundaries or the Goddess who watched over them all.

This was home. It was as simple as that.

Erthë
image | coding

@Lyanna

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

The girl’s greeting is amicable as she introduces herself. The little cloud of night keeps throwing Lyanna for a loop. It’s not that she necessarily forgets it’s daytime, but it does seem to trick her sense. If she looks in one direction, the sun is bright and miserable and sweltering. But everywhere around her, it is dark and slightly cooler (though likely not as cold as it is around the girl, she’s not trying to invade personal bubble’s here). It’s pleasant, but just a bit trippy.

“I’ve heard of Alune, though I admit, I have not property met him either. How do you like being his apprentice?” she asks, genuinely curious. She knows plenty of the healers at this point, and some of the crafters, but she’s spent little to no time interacting with the other jobs here. What good would she be as a sneak? She could fight, and perhaps she’d see if someone wanted to help her brush up on her vague skills, but in truth, she hating fighting and avoided it. And she knows nothing, really, of those tasked with keeping the history of this place. And of course, she knows nothing of the history of this place. Not really.

Erthe though, perhaps knows more. But most do, of course. Lyanna hasn’t even been in Helovia a year yet, though somehow she wears a title that would imply she’s been around far longer. Erthe seems more like the horses she’s becoming used to around here. Where Lyanna is plain and simple in this place (still strange, and still a good thing), Erthe is beautiful and slightly ethereal. She is almost entirely white, but for stunning pale, turquoise eyes (well, eye), and a slight blue sheen (which might, honestly, be a trick of the light), and glitter. Along with the dual horns, the many various items, the snowy wings. Perhaps, if Lyanna were anyone else, she’d be jealous. But instead, being as simple and plain and she is mean that she’s safe.

Have you been here long? The other mare asks, almost as if reading Lyanna’s thoughts. Perhaps she is. The tri-colored mare still has no idea what kind of magic runs in this land. It is not purely elemental, as she grew up with. She continues, admitting she hasn’t been here long, but that it always felt like home. Ah. If only. If only she could pretend this place always felt like home. It felt like an escape, like a place to hide, like a temporary retreat. It is only somewhat recently beginning to feel like home, and even still, it depends on the day. “Less than a year, honestly. I arrived in Orangemoon, so I guess almost a year now, if this heat ever goes away.” She chuckles slightly, a wing lifting to gesture toward the bright light of day just beside them. She tried not to bring small talk to the weather all the time, but Tallsun was brutal. “It wasn’t quite so hot, where I come from. Still getting used to it.”

watch how i soar.

lyanna

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Chan

Shifting the weight between slender legs to take the burden from the weaker limbs, she considered the query with a thoughtful purse of the lips. It was something she hadn't truly considered before, and while the answer was as simple as it was immediate the girl still reveled in this chance to explore the new angle on her life.

"It's... well, nice I suppose. I love learning about places and people and new ways of thinking so it suits me well, but aside from lessons I don't get to really do much. Not yet anyway, maybe it will change when I come of age."

Words could not describe how much she looked forward to and dreaded the day. Marking the end of childhood and the entrance into the world of adults, she counted down the passing weeks with so many mixed feelings - longing for a chance to prove herself and be useful to the herd that had given her a home, while dreading the increased burden of responsibility, that painted creases of exhaustion and worry around the eyes of her King and brought out the best and worst in family and friends.

"He's a good teacher though, I like him a lot. I'm sure he'll find something for me to do when the time comes."

Reassured by this thought, Erthë smiled and listened with a renewed ease at Lyanna's reply and nodded in agreement. Time was passing quickly, but sometimes it didn't feel fast enough.

"I know, can't wait for Frostfall to come" she contributed, the youthful voice growing wistful as visions of snow and ice came to her, tantalizing and painfully absent. "I've been in the north for a while now to get some reprieve, but it's honestly not that much cooler up there. I swear, even the glaciers will melt at this rate. But hey, maybe this will help?"

Without a shred of hesitation Erthë closed the distance between herself and the black mare and reached out for her, intending to press the side of her neck against Lyanna's. Though the temperature in the forest was high and Erthë felt as though she might melt at any moment, her skin remained icy cold to the touch. Her temperature had always been low, a blessing in winter and a curse once the sun rose high enough; it brought little comfort to herself, but perhaps others might find some reprieve in her proximity.

"Does that help?" she asked, a somewhat sheepish grin spreading over her face as she suddenly realized that the mare might not want her personal space invaded.

Oops. Too late.

Erthë
image | coding

@Lyanna

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

In truth, she has no idea what Alune does, exactly, other than commune with the Moon Goddess on occasion and keep the history of the Edge. Which, to be fair, seems like quite a lot if she really thinks about it. What it’s not is necessarily an active, do-stuff kind of job. Not in the way going out and gathering herbs is, or sparing, or stealing. It doesn’t make it less, just different.

Erthe talks about her job, and Lyanna listens, genuinely interested. Well, technically not the girl’s job yet, and she’s not quite grown. Though from the looks of her, she is certainly close. Lyanna doesn’t really know what that’s like, truthfully. She was born a princess. Turning two or three or any age really never changed the expectations put on her, other than she was expected to stand longer, smile prettier, etc. It wasn’t like here, where your life and your job didn’t really begin until you’d come of age.

“It sounds like a really interesting job, and I’m sure Alune will keep you busy when the time comes. But if you are ever bored, I know nothing, and I would love to learn more about the history here,” she says, really meaning it. “But only if you are bored,” she says with a bit of a grin. She doesn’t want to put the girl out either, or be any needier than she already feels. It’s still hard, learning everything so quickly while also trying to be of use and not just in the way. At least she’s less in the way now than she used to be, having at least some clue how this place works.

The topic switches to the weather, and to her credit, Erthe makes it sound like a conversation and not just pleasantries. Lyanna’s about to ask what it’s like in the north, and then take to the sky and get there just as quickly as possibly (we hasn’t she thought of that?), when the girl says maybe this will help?. Lyanna flicks an ear forward, curious, but the girl is already crossing the remaining distance between them, pressing her neck against Lyanna’s.

The chill is instantaneous. It’s not enough to make the heat disappear, but it’s certainly enough to be refreshing. Lyanna actually sighs, a smile slipping onto her face. “That,” she says with a bit of a laugh, “is amazing.” Clearly, it doesn’t bother her to have someone in her own personal space without invitation. Maybe it should, and certainly it would if that someone was unwelcome. But Erthe is pleasant, kind, and a herdmate, and Lyanna doesn’t think twice. Besides, why would she? The girl is literally cooling her down. No complaints. “Thank you. Though if you don’t mind my asking, does it keep you cold as well, or do you feel like the glaciers in the north?”

watch how i soar.

lyanna

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Chan

Erthë laughed, delighted and not just a little flattered that anyone would want to come to her for stories and lessons. The thought set off a flutter of butterflies in her stomach, their dancing wings tickling her insides with a mingled sense of dread and anticipation. Would she be able to convey anything of what she had learned and uncovered about Helovia and its regions to another? Was she capable of weaving words and meaning into a vibrant tapestry able to educate and enchant, the way Alune or Maren could? Erthë didn't know, she had never tried, and suddenly she felt that she could hardly wait for Lyanna to get bored.

"Any time!" she promised with a wide smile, and meant it with all her heart. "I'll make you my guinea-pig, I've never tried to teach before."

This was decidedly the best homecoming she'd had, Erthë decided. Why had she never talked to this mare before? She was nice, friendly and fun and girl, wasn't that odd? Usually Erthë tended to befriend colts, finding little interest in the girlish games of other fillies, but this felt good. Natural, as though they had been friends for far longer than a few minutes.

She laughed at Lyanna's reaction to her cold skin and moved closer, turning herself so that they would stand side by side and her wing could drape over the back of the taller mare. Unable to share warmth with others this was the next best thing; it was an unusual feeling to have someone else's body pressed right up against hers, but somehow Erthë felt that it was a good sensation.

"I wish it did" she sighed. "Unfortunately it seems to just make everything else feel warmer to me. I hardly get cold at all in winter, but summers like these nearly kill me. If it weren't for this trick I have I don't think I would last."

Indicating the damp misty air around them with the other wing, she shrugged a little but didn't seem to really regret her unusual condition.

"But hey, I'm glad it can be of use! So tell me, what's been going on in the herd? I've only been home a few times since the Mist Viewing, I was surprised to see how far you've got on the trench. And that gate! It looks amazing."

Erthë
image | coding

@Lyanna

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

She knew that sense of anticipation and dread, knew the feeling of butterflies in her stomach. It was exciting and scary to be responsible for things, for the actual health of her herd members. It was, in truth, no small task. And one that Lyanna often didn’t feel prepared for. But at the same time, it was something that she enjoyed, something that she dedicated her time to learning more about, and something that she chose. That was still such a novel idea to her, being able to choose her own path in life. And it was not something she was likely to take for granted anytime soon.

In the end, she’d still probably hand it all back. Give up everything she’d worked for here to have her family back. But every day that thought became a little harder to stomach, every day she paused just a fraction of a second longer. Would she really? Sometimes, in truth, she wasn’t sure. But for Corbin, she would likely give anything.

“Hey, I’m a great guinea-pig. I know so little, you will absolutely manage to teach me things.” She grins, a playful spark in her eyes. She didn’t doubt that Erthe would be able to teach her things regardless, but still, she can’t help the tease. And she figures taking the pressure off helps as well. But really, in truth, she was excited to learn anything and everything she could. And to do so from Erthe. The filly (really, almost a mare) was kind and mature and fun to spend time with. Sometimes Lyanna still finds this sensation weird, this realization that she might actually make friends here. Horses who actually just liked her for her, and not her for her title. Because yes, she has a title here, but it’s hardly the same as coddling up to the Princess in hopes of gaining the King’s ear. She knows the difference.

Erthe goes on to answer her next question, talking about how it just makes everything feel colder. “No wonder you went North for a while. I think I would have too.” Lyanna often escapes to the sky. If she goes high enough, she can get past the heat, though she can’t stay there for long periods of time. That high, the oxygen thins, and she tires too quickly to spend long amounts of time above the clouds. It was perhaps a slightly dangerous habit, but she liked it too much to stop. “You do seem to have useful tricks, at least. Well, one more useful for me, but still…” she grins again, laughing slightly as she trails off.

The topic switches to the herd. Lyanna didn’t realize just how much the girl had been gone, though if she thinks hard enough, she can’t recall seeing the white mare at the last herd meeting. Not that she would have thought much of that, given the size of the herd. But now, it’s starting to make sense. “Ah, well. You’ve missed a bit.” she says, pausing for a moment, debatingjust how much to go into. “We had a herd meeting recently, and Tembovu explained the herd quest to us. Everyone has to help, either digging that trench or clearing the bramble thicket or doing some target practice with glass. The end goal is to have glass spikes that protect the border, and the gate is the beginning of that. The one way in and out of the herd, though for Edge members the spikes will retract into the ground.” She pauses, trying to think if she’s missing anything on that front. Not that she can remember, at any rate. Granted, there were probably some details she simply didn’t get told, which was fine by her.

“On top of that, Elsa stepped down, though still holds the rank of Captain. Alysanne was promoted to Queen in her place, and Mauja to Emissary, along with a handful of other promotions.” Not that she could recite them all, honestly. There’d been quite a number of changes, and she’d been pretty much hung up on her own promotion and Aly’s promotion to Queen. She’d more or less missed everything that came after. “The promotion of a healer to Queen, someone who theoretically does not fight and therefore cannot protect the herd, did not go unnoticed.” She keeps her voice neutral, and leaves any particular names out of it. But it’s not like the girl won’t find out eventually. Might as well just tell her now.

watch how i soar.

lyanna

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Chan

Erthë laughed with the other mare and relished the feeling of the warm body close to hers, savored the sound of their mingling voices as it echoed between the trees. This was indeed what homecoming should be like! If it was like this every time she came home, the thought of leaving might soon not be as tempting as it usually was. Or perhaps the itch to go would get even worse, if only for the sake of receiving this kind of welcome upon returning. Erthë couldn't decide, and it didn't matter because it was such a trivial line of thought, so carefree that she felt even happier than she already was. Life couldn't be that hard if she had time to ponder meaningless things, could it? The world must truly be at peace, mustn't it?

Of course, such a blissful feeling of relaxation couldn't last long. Lyanna burst her bubble quite efficiently with the news of the herd meeting - by the gods, she'd missed another one - and the changes that had been announced.

Much of it she already knew, after attending the Moon viewing. The defense projects had been planned there, the plan accepted and prices laid down by their Lady. Erthë failed to see the need for these measures, but perhaps Tembu knew something she did not as he had been working on this for as long as she had known him - his struggle to turn the ruined glass wall into something more functional before his ascent to the throne was still fresh in her memory.

As for Elsa's abdication...

"I wish I could say I'm surprised" Erthë said slowly, "but somehow I feel like we should have seen this coming. Elsa hasn't exactly been working her butt off, has she... I don't know, maybe she's been doing things in the quiet that we haven't heard of, but whenever she's done official stuff lately she hasn't looked very happy."

Still, for the mare to step down so soon after the Goddess named her queen was unsettling. Was it lack of gratitude over their Lady's trust and high regard? Somehow the young mare did not think so. She didn't know the snow-white pegasus well, hardly at all in fact, but nothing about the quiet woman had ever struck her as ungrateful or irreverent. Better then to assume that Elsa had simply discovered her own limitations and decided to act for the greater good of the herd. Erthë preferred that line of thought, it left a better taste in her mouth.

"I don't think there's a problem with having a healer for a lead" she continued, her mismatched eyes lingering on Lyanna's face as she noticed the flattened tone of the mare's voice. "I can't say I know Alysanne, but she's been around for a long time. Longer than Tembovu, from what I hear, and if he's comfortable with her then I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things turn out. I really hope she'll prove to be as good a ruler as our king is - there's been a lot of changes in leadership lately."

Frowning slightly as she pondered this, Erthë gently peeled herself from the dark-skinned girl and folded the wings to her sides. How many times had they changed monarchs again? Mauja had been queen when she came to the Edge, ruling beside a very absent Torleik. Then Mauja had stepped down, Tembovu had taken up the mantle and the Lady Moon had replaced Torleik with Elsa, causing the black steed to leave the herd altogether in protest. A nasty business indeed... and now Elsa had stepped down, another queen had been crowned and this time it was the herd that muttered.

Sighing, Erthë shook her head. It was a mess, not a good sign at all. Every tale she'd ever heard of Helovia in the past spoke of changing leads, followed by hard times. War, bickering between herds, invasions and death. Tumult, chaos, turmoil and all it left behind was suffering.

"What do you make of all this?" she asked Lyanna, as she slowly began to walk down the path that led deeper into the forest. "Do you think there will be trouble in the herd if Alysanne stays on as lead?"

The mist that had cloaked her began to fade and Erthë let it disappear, too occupied with thoughts of politics to be bothered by the heat of the day. Absent-minded she adjusted the enchanted bracelet that kept the bubble of night around them, and focused her attention once more upon her new friend, keen to hear her opinion on the matter.

Erthë
image | coding

@Lyanna

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

Erthe’s response is almost a welcome relief. She says aloud what Lyanna had been thinking, but never would have voiced herself. She feels as though she hasn’t been around long enough to be entitled to have such opinions. She doesn’t know Elsa, and doesn’t know what the Queen may or may not do that Lyanna simply does not see. But she knows that Tembovu is often around – he comes to greet newcomers, he appears at births, he shows for promotions – and then he’s often gone as quickly as he comes. Which she understands. His time is precious, and he cannot be in more than one place at a time, so he must make the most of that time. He is around, where Elsa is not.

“Elsa is the reason I live here,” she says with a small smile. “And I admit I wasn’t surprised either, but felt a little bad thinking that. I’m glad to find out I’m not the only one.” It had been Elsa who found her in the Threshold, but it had also been Elsa that had to leave just as quickly, and Lyanna had found her way through (well, above) Helovia and to the glass wall on her own. She’d been lucky, honestly, that she’d found the Edge at all.

Erthe continues, having no problem with a healer as Queen. Lyanna’s smile widens a bit, but of course, she has a soft spot for their new Queen, who’d been the one to find Lyanna on the border almost a year ago now. Apparently Lyanna’s life here had been dictated by two Queens. She’d never even thought of that, honestly, though the realization hits her now. Ah, always a bit of a Princess, aren’t you Lyanna? she thinks to herself, knowing it to be true. There are certain things she cannot forget, pieces of her training that have simply become too much a part of herself to escape. Though as a whole, life here was far more freeing than life in Morham had ever been.

“I’ve worked with Alysanne quite a bit. She was a good Moon Doctor, and so I hope that will translate over into a good Queen as well.” She thought it would, but in the end, only time would tell. “Stable leadership is important to a herd. Though the Edge flourishes.” Which was likely due to Tembovu. Imagine what this place would be like under two active monarchs. Just in case there weren’t enough names and faces for her to learn….

Erthe peels herself away, and the heat comes flooding back. It’s less of an awkward conversation, talking with some space between then, though Lyanna can’t say she isn’t slightly disappointed. Still, the short relief from the heat has cooled her down enough that she no longer feels like she might melt. It must be worse for Erthe though, if everything just feels hotter, so she won’t complain.

Erthe asked her opinion, and Lyanna pauses for a moment, thinking of it. “You know, I’m not sure. It has the potential to be good or bad. The herd has power, and at least some small say in their government, which is important. I come from a place where monarchies were inherited by the eldest child, and it left the populace rather restless. But at the same time, there’s something to be said for having stable leadership. It promotes trust, activity…”

She pauses again for a moment, trying not to let the thoughts of Morham overwhelm her. Life here has become something she enjoys, something that feels like life and not just a dream. But still, she will never stop missing her home. “I think Alysanne will strive to make everything right within the herd, and if they are open to that, I think things could go well. But I don’t know everyone in this herd well enough to say how they will receive it.”

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Erthe

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Chan

Erthë listened with her head tilted and hummed in assent, finding her thoughts very much in tune with the musings Lyanna voiced. That in itself was a curious thing that would leave her much to think of as night truly arrived, not to mention this matter with the new queen and what it might imply for the herd in the long run. Some might say it had nothing to do with youngsters like herself and the black mare, but in her opinion they had just as much right to know and care and worry as everyone with a rank pinned to their name. More, perhaps, as their chances of affecting change was smaller. Who would listen to the voice of the masses, after all?

"Here's to hoping everything will work out" she said with a quiet sigh, feeling too weather worn and freshly returned to dive straight into the bramble of thorns that was politics. "And ff it doesn't, then I guess you and me will just have to step in and set everything right, won't we."

Offering her new friend a lazy wink, Erthë began to inch her way towards one of the many paths that connected to the one they stood on, a stubborn churning within the guts reminding her that it had been some time since she ate last.

"Did they say anything else at the meeting? Maybe we can grab a bite and you could tell me about it in more detail... Like, what they have planned for those who missed out this time around. More shoveling of dung?"  

Erthë grinned, quietly hoping that Lyanna wouldn't be too occupied to share a meal with her. It had been a pleasant encounter indeed and she didn't wish or it to end just yet; but as they said, all good things...  

Erthë
image | coding

@Lyanna - Ugh sorry it's short. I feel like wrapping this up soon, is that ok with you?

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

Sometimes, the voices of the quiet were lost. No, not sometimes, often. Not always. Certainly, not always. Lyanna had seen her mother and father seek out the silent person in the room and ask their opinion. Sometimes they were silent simply because they had nothing to say. Sometimes they were silent because they didn’t think their voice mattered. How often had her parents taken their advice? More times than she can remember. It’s the quiet ones that know the most, the ones who spend their time listening and learning and not simply talking. Lyanna didn’t talk much, truthfully, not in large meetings like that. But Tembovu and Alysanne had noticed her anyway, and she somehow already held the rank of Moon Doctor. It gave her some hope that they would hear all the quiet souls of the herd. 

It gave her some hope that it would be alright, as Erthe says. But still, Lyanna laughs at the next comment, her smile sly and the gleam in her eye just a bit mischievous. “I suppose we will,” she says with a laugh. Not that she’s ever pictured herself in any real form of leadership (what do you think your current job is, Lyanna? she thinks). Not since Morham, anyway. It hurt in a way she couldn’t quite shake still, even though she’s come so far. Still. The Edge could never replace Morham. The Edge simply became a new home. One she could live in without fear that someone would stab her just for the teal on her wings.

Erthe steps away slightly, eyeing some nearby grass and asking in Lyanna wants to join her for a meal. Lyanna nods her assent, realizing as well that it’s been some time since she’s eaten. She spends a lot of time working lately, and probably not enough time socializing or eating or sleeping. Her time with Erthe has been a pleasant reprieve from giving flying lessons and getting (or giving) herb lessons. She loved learning, but it was nice to simply chat with someone that so easily felt like a friend. Lyanna wanders off a little ways, to where the grass looks green and not too terribly trodden down.

“I hear rumors about weeding the garden,” she says in between bites. “Or possibly digging the trench more. Though I don’t know which lovely task is the one you’ll be getting.” She takes another bite, pauses for a moment, and then adds. “But there wasn’t much else in the meeting, really. Though did they really make horses shovel dung?” 

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Erthe - I think wrapping it up soon makes sense. We can finish this up here and pretend they said goodbye, or if you want to wrap it up in another post that also works for me.

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Chan

The grass was coarse and dry between her teeth, tough and chewy like everywhere else in Helovia these dry, hot days. Yet somehow Erthë thought it tasted decidedly better. Was it the mist that made it more dewy and refreshing, the salt carried in by the ocean breeze to lend everything a crunchy edge? Maybe it simply was the grass of home, and that's why it tasted so good. Another bet would be the spice called hunger and the added bonus of company. It was never as fun to dine alone, no matter how much Erthë usually told herself that she wanted it that way.

She laughed between mouthfuls, nodding vigorously. "You should have been there, it was a sight! I had promised to help out, it was really Arah and Tilney who was supposed to do it. But when I got there it turns out Arah had done it all herself, and when me and Tilney and Tembovu came there she was covered head to hoof in reek, so tired and dirty that you wouldn't believe it. I mean, its Arah we're talking about here! She's never got a spot on her normally, I just felt so sorry for her... "

She grinned at the memory, eyes dancing merrily as she shared the tale with Lyanna.

"And you wouldn't guess what Tembovu said then... "

On she went, talking and laughing as they picked their way through the woodlands, ripping mouthfuls of grass and stealing sips of water from the cold springs that hid between weaving roots. Slowly, the day aged from midday to afternoon, and by the time Erthë realized what time it was she no longer needed her bracelet to hide from the sun. As she pulled the gleaming filigree from a slender leg and transferred it to the tail the night around them faded, broken up by the green-tinted rays of golden light that filtered down through the canopy.

"I should get going" she said reluctantly, and looked from the fading daylight to Lyanna. "I need to see if I can find my dad, and I should tell Alune I'm back too... It was really nice chatting with you, we should do it again some time!"

After leaning in for a parting hug, the young dove retreated into the shadows of the forest, merging slowly with the approaching mist... and then she was gone.

Erthë
image | coding

@Lyanna - Erthë out! I suck at ending threads, never mind the crappy fade out lol.
Let me know if you want to thread again sometime, this was fun <3