the Rift

[PRIVATE] Critical mass
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

[Thread title hur hur but really this is srs]

Ophelia felt the weight increase over her months of doing very little of importance. She had grown in size, far past her weight with Roskuld, and she couldn't help but wonder if something was wrong. Her mind pondered over and over, never resting as she ran through the possibilities. Would her child be damaged somehow? The thought made her stomach turn, and she leaned against a nearby tree for support, taking a deep breath.

Torleik had been wonderful, just as she imagined. He was attentive and kind, almost overwhelmingly positive. She was not complaining - just making a note of his enthusiasm. It was cute, really. And, much to her amusement, he seemed to be handling the heat well. His dark coat was always shimmering so brightly in its short state, and the sweat seemed to have good effects on his health. Quietly she would smile a coy "I'm right" smile and refuse to speak on the matter.

The days wore on into a fine summer evening. A breeze from the seas rolled by, and she inhaled the salty air, reminded of her home in lands succumbed to shadow. Her strange, two colored eyes gazed out beyond the sea, lips upturned into a pleasant smile as she stood comfortably beneath the stars. The shimmering light from the lost stone never lost its glory, and she seemed to sparkle in the darkness as little flecks shone in her hair.

Everything was fine until she felt a sharp pain in her side, and she growled, nipping at her rounded middle. "Tor," she whispered urgently. "I think..." she began but trailed off as another contraction hit. Ophelia dropped to her knees in the sand and breathed shallowly, laying upon her side and waiting for this part to be over with; she prayed that would be soon.

Minutes passed like hours, and she worked up a sweat trying to force Torleik's hellspawn from her body. Somewhere through the pain, she had begun calling them that - blaming this solely on him of course. Her jests were still spoken with laughter however - through gritted teeth.

The pain finally subsided when she felt one tiny child emerge into the world - a pale, trembling, leggy thing with an expression of utter confusion and distaste. A beautiful girl. Torleik's daughter. Ophelia smiled, leaning up ever so slightly to look. With some attitude which could not have come from her side of the family (haha), the filly refused to budge, legs folded up in denial about this sudden new existence.

Another pain wracked her body, and she furrowed her brows in fear and confusion. None of this made sense. She had birthed their daughter! Wasn't that enough? Then realized dawned on her. Another. There would be another. Ophelia gasped and moments later there was a second child on the ground. Not one hellspawn but two. Somehow they would have to raise two children. Two.

How were there two. Curse her genes! This could only be her fault. Ophelia smiled, finally at pace as she watched a little night and day start to explore.

Heartstrings Come Undone
You know I'm trying to believe that you're never gonna leave...
Art by: veradaine @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod

[Swiggity swooty, comin' for dat booty! Critical mass in dat ass! Okay I'm done]

Though he was utterly drowning in doubts (and sweat) throughout Ophelia's pregnancy, the dark stallion tried his best to be positive in all things. He knew she was uncomfortable, that the swell in her belly was putting stress on not only her body, but her emotions, too. Still, to him she looked like the most breathtaking woman in the world; but perhaps that was a result of knowing she carried his child? That she loved him enough to give him a life that would forever be part of him? That she'd chosen him and this over the love of a god? Such thoughts made his chest nearly full to bursting with devotion and undying love for this queen of his life, and he vowed a hundred times over that she would never want for anything as long as it was in his power to provide it for her - and their growing family.

To his chagrin, he did acclimate somewhat to the hot, dry, life-sucking environment of the Dragon's Throat, though he never did find a way to stop constantly sweating. Torleik supposed that Phi's pregnancy was a good thing, because she probably wouldn't have let him get near her to make any form of love given how he was always unclean. Unlike his crazed engineer cousin, the Bloodskald took his grooming seriously and was internally quite vexed at this inability to be not in need of a bath. Still, he further supposed that this climate was good for him in the sense that he felt trimmer. Lighter on his hooves.

Rare was the moment that he was not by Ophelia's side, so when she suddenly grunted next to him, breaking his reverie of basking her rather literal pregnancy glow, the Bloodskald was immediately hit with a large burst of adrenaline. "Oh gods, it's time," he stated, stressed, finishing her trailed sentence. He watched his woman drop to her side and some panic hit, knowing that their kind rarely did this; usually only when they were in immense pain or...or too ill to get up. He was not made for birthing. This was beyond him.

"Phi what...what do I do? Oh gods." Having little in the way of guidance from his last experience with childbirth, he paced briefly, then settled near Phi's head, gently nuzzling her and trying to murmur words of encouragement into her velvety ears, telling her how much loved her, that she was incredible for giving him this gift, that she was stronger than he would ever be for suffering this - no one could ever say he wasn't supportive. It took some doing, but movement caught his eye, a swift sort of introduction to the world, and suddenly....

A girl.

A little daughter.

Tears pricked at his glacial orbs and the Bloodskald cautiously reached out a muzzle to touch his little baby girl, laughing through his saline-blurred vision when the tiny one looked utterly indignant at being where she was, let alone being touched by a strange creature. "Oh my sweet little girl...you look just like your mother..." he rumbled, the love he felt in his chest comparable to nothing he'd ever sensed in his life before. Everything about this child was perfect and he couldn't have asked for anything more.

Such moments were usually when life forced more upon you, and it was pure chance of fate whether such excess was deemed a boon or a curse. For once in his life, Torleik was blessed, and it came in the form of a son. A flawless, ruddy midnight son. Speechless as the chromatic opposite of his sister slid into the world onto the soft sand, the Bloodskald watched in wonder as his children's personalities already presented themselves. His daughter, wholly displeased at this situation; his son, blinking with wide, curious eyes, taking everything in and immediately trying to move his uncoordinated, gangly legs in an effort to get closer to mother again. But then the little boy realized sister was closer and shoved his muzzle into her, seeking the comfort of touch from any living thing. Or perhaps he was...hiding. The immensely frustrated way in which his son flailed his useless legs and then gave up, flopping his head on sister's rump made him laugh, wondering if such temper would remain. "They will work in time, my son," he said softly, kissing his dark head.

Joy and love enveloped the stallion and he knelt down, coming to rest on the ground next to his new family, nuzzling Phi's neck that was damp from the effort of labor. "You've given me everything I could ever want."

"talk talk talk"

Heartstrings Come Undone

@Ophelia
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

The sounds of his uncertainty and rather adorable panic faded into the roar of the ocean and waves of pain. She had no words for him in this moment, struggling as much as she was on breathing. He would get the gist in time, and eventually he did. His words of encouragement were welcome, and she breathed steadily, focusing on safely delivering their child into his world. Torleik was supportive and strong, taking place up near her head in support. This was how having a child should be - with the father hovering nearby as a sentinel of strength and peace. Ophelia pitied the women who had children alone in this moment, especially when she had the best at her side.

She sat up when both children were settled and recovered her breathing, seeing the way her daughter was still quite upset and her son was already wanting to stand. Ophelia chuckled softly when the boy finally rested against his sister, and she smiled, tucking her legs up under herself to have a moment of rest. Ophelia tracked Torleik's moment when he came to rest near her as well, his stunning, ice colored eyes twinkling with unshed tears. Hers were a similar lustre, and she hummed when he thanked her for carrying their children and finally giving them life.

"So have you," she replied lovingly. "I am... content. Happy. At peace." Ophelia smiled, closing her eyes and yawning a little in her exhaustion. "They still need names too," she said softly. "I suggest 'Eleanor' for the girl. Ellie for short. I think it's fitting." Ophelia had no specific ties to the name. It was related to her history, but that was what made it special. The filly could forge her own path, free from the darkness that flowed in her bloodline.

They were far removed from Riekahn and Paladin now, a generation distanced and far more peaceful. Though as she looked upon their son, she could see the tell-tale signs of crimson that could have only come from her lineage. The Crimson King would always leave his mark in some way. She could only hope that he would end up very different. That would be their responsibility now. Hers and Torleik's.

Heartstrings Come Undone

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod

To hear that his woman was utterly content and at peace brought him a measure of peace that nothing else could. He was only a part of that, he knew, but a large part, he reasoned. He loved her; he'd given her children; he remained by her side. That meant much, yes? Torleik felt a large weight of responsibility settle on him when Phi mentioned naming their hellspawn, as she'd taken to calling them, and wracked his brain for suitable monikers.

Ophelia offered one for their daughter and he smiled, looking at the still-irked little girl and applying the name Eleanor to her in his mind. "Little angry Ellie," he chuckled. "It fits; I like it." Nuzzling her lovingly as he contemplated naming their son, it felt like millions of options stampeded through his mind. Millions, but one kept returning to him as he stared at the little black nubs on his son's head that refused to sprout hair like the rest of his coat.

"Rhun," he said simply, and watched in awe as his little boy's red eyes shifted to gaze at him, most likely only because he spoke more loudly than before - but Torleik couldn't deny a small part of him held the belief that souls knew their name, even from birth. The clarity in his newborn's eyes reaffirmed this; his boy was Rhun, and no other.

"talk talk talk"

Heartstrings Come Undone

@Ophelia
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Eleanor Posts: 15
Outcast
Filly :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 6 months
Miranda :: Plain Black Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath Tamme
City made of thin glass
Smoldering in pitch black

The girl was displeased. So many smells and sounds were overwhelming, and she remained stuck in her spot on the sand, face twisted up and unhappy. She calmly waited for everything to make sense and life to dull from its vibrant exposure. Moments passed and she grew slightly accustomed to the world around her, and she finally opened her eyes again when she felt the ground move. There was a little shadow of her same shape, and her heart knew that he was her brother. Her soul felt glad by his presence, and when he laid his head upon her hip, she even smiled.

Quietly, she turned her own head around and put her cheek against his neck, huddling for his warmth. Her name was spoken then. Eleanor. Ellie. She was Ellie, and that was quite all right with her - as long as she had her brother, Rhun, she would be all right. Her strange, two-toned gaze didn't move from her brother's form for some time, letting him be her anchor to this new world. Her breath deepened and only when she felt truly comfortable did she lift her gaze again.

With a quiet grace, she blinked and looked upon the vast horizon, watching the way the ocean swayed in the evening and the stars twinkled overhead. A breeze chilled her, but her brother kept her warm. Then, she looked to her parents, seeing the way they spoke to each other in strange words. Her heart was full. They loved her, and she loved them.

After checking on her brother, she shifted for the first time, extending her dark colored legs out in front of her to test her balance. In a very Ophelia-like logical progression, Eleanor moved one long leg at a time and then took a deep breath before throwing her body weight forward. She stood for a few seconds and then tumbled back onto the soft sand, grunting and shaking her dark face.

Rhun Posts: 2
Outcast
Colt :: Hybrid :: 16.3 ::
RedGod

Rhun

Darkness; warmth; pressure; muted sounds. This was his life - until suddenly it was not. Familiar sensations gave way to unfamiliar, the darkness lifting, though the warmth nearly remained. The pressure was gone and the sounds...everything was so loud. A cool breeze chilled his wet coat and the colt's face twisted in displeasure, though the curiosity in his breast was a stronger driving force. Cracking open his crimson eyes, he saw, for the first time, everything.

The sky, the earth, mother, father. Sister. Sister was next to him, as she had always been, pressed up against him. It felt like home, so he stayed near her, but...his legs weren't...doing. Why weren't they doing? They needed to DO! A grunt of supreme anger at his inability to move like he wanted escaped his tiny muzzle and the male child continued to struggle for a short while before giving up. This...whatever he was on held fast, unlike the before. Gravity would be a lesson of which he would soon learn more.

Voices, voices he knew were murmuring nearby and the comfort of that noise calmed his riled little form until a strong voice said a word that made him search for the source: Rhun.

Rhun.

The large black one (father?) was staring at him as he said it and Rhun felt...warm, inside. That was him. The dark one was speaking of him. He was Rhun. And sister was...what had the light one (mother?) said? Eleanor? Ellie? Sister was that. And speaking of, sister began to move, finally, leaving him here on the ground. Rhun didn't like that and tried to follow her, but his legs still wouldn't do like they were supposed to. He didn't understand it was because he was moving them all at once; the younger sibling watched Ellie try one leg at a time and saw how it worked for her - but then she fell back down and he laughed. The sound was a quiet little chuckle, short, low, a reflection of what sort of man he'd grow up to be.

Thrusting one leg out at a time as Ellie had done, the meatier child hauled himself up on his appendages and spread them wide to keep better balance, managing to stand, trembling, for some time. The world was strange from this angle, and he dared not move for fear of falling like sister had. With a little bit of smugness, he looked down at Ellie. He was doing better. Ha.