the Rift

[OPEN] I won't take the easy road

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan
My thoughts are the cold kind,
I've got storm clouds brewing behind my eyes

Dusk brought only minimal relief from the merciless heat. The air remained stifling, each breath of wind as ferocious as dragon fire, ready to singe the hair on a body or burn the flesh away from crumbling bone. Not even the ocean breeze granted relief, only a different kind of oppression - moist rather than dry, choking as each breath appeared to swell in the throat and congeal in the depths of straining lungs. From every direction it radiated towards her, from above and below in equal measure as luminous lava oozed lazily along, brightening the deep darkness of night just enough that she was able to stay on the path. Narrow and winding it was, but Erthë was familiar with the treacherous footing - or as familiar with it as anyone could be, given how the constant spew of magma kept altering the winding trail.

She preferred to make the trek by foot. It would be easy to reach the shrines from the air, to let the thermals carry her and spare herself the struggle of limping over the lava fields. Somehow she felt that it would be too easy, almost like cheating. With the passing seasons she had grown accustomed to pain, to taking the longer path, had learned to curb the worst of her impatience - the very reason she had acquired injuries in the first place. Surely the gods had a reason for withholding their healing graces from her, surely there had to be a meaning to her suffering. They did not have to tell her what it was, nor did they have to help her. She was not a child, not helpless or weak; Erthë could take care of herself, and she proved this to herself and anyone who stopped to notice by picking the harder path.

Four flowers rested in the crook of a wing. They were already wilting, stalks softened and bowing from a lack of water and petals fading. They had been beautiful when she picked them, dewy and glorious in their hardiness, proud in defiance against the drought. Now the girl cast dubious glances at them, regretting that she hadn't picked a more enduring gift to place by the shrines. Maybe crystals from the Heart caves would have been better, or shells from the beach. Would the Lady and her brothers accept these sad studies in decay? The gesture was well meant, but would they see it as such - or was she inadvertently throwing insults at them, casting some ancient and long forgotten curse of ingrown hairs and colic on the most powerful beings in Helovia?

"Lady, please have mercy on me and take this token of devotion for what it is meant to be, not what it looks like right now" she mumbled under breath as the shrines came into view.

The filly bowed dutifully before all of the shrines, placed her flowers before each and said a quick prayer, but it was before the abandoned abode of the Moon she lingered the longest. Thoughtfully she leaned in to let her eyes trailed over obscure runes she thought she could almost read. Though the signs were unknown to her the sight of them brought her comfort, like a whispered promise on the far side of the heart - sweet and a bit painful, like the embrace of a mother long since dead and decayed. But never forgotten.
Absent-minded Erthë pushed away rocks and pebbles with her feet, brushed the shrine free from whatever cobweb and dust that might linger and cared little that pearly tail hairs were dirtied and stained in the process.

What did a bit of dirt mean, in the end, when she gladly would offer all that she was in the service of the Goddess?

Erthë
And my heart will be blacker than your eyes
when I'm through with you
image | coding

@Bathsheba

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Bathsheba Posts: 45
Outcast
Filly :: Hybrid :: 16.3 hh :: II years
Kansas
bathsheba
This was pain, a different kind of pain that permeated up through my legs and out across the shivering expanse of my spine and sides. Ears, tall like towers, swiveled back and forth, orbiting a lowered skull as nostrils flared against the dusty ground. My body shuddered, legs trembling with each strained step. Several bruises could be seen blossomed out across my rib-cage, it looked very much as though someone had pushed me over to stamp on me a few times, and to be honest - it sort of felt that way. Where only a day before it had been bearable, now every breath was excruciating, tearing through weary lungs and putting strength into muscles long past due for a rest. My hooves ached, so hard, it was difficult to keep putting one foot in front of another and yet somehow... I did.

The breeze was light and airy, relaxing in a way, but not enough to sweep off the stress and anxiety driving a wedge into my heart. I was so lost, is this what forsaken felt like? Left in a watery cove to be bullied by a disrespectful cur and then expected to go looking? Searching, desperately for the Mother who was supposed to be there. Sialia was gone though, nowhere to be found, like a dark waif she was gone into the night, disappeared into nothingness. I choke on a spot of dust before clearing my throat, like fire burning a trail down my esophagus. (Mother...) My soul cries out for the woman I know will not answer the call and it is a terrible, drowning sensation.

Trees, tall and strong rise on either side of the trail, a trail marked only by weather-smooth stones buried by ages of leaf-mold and algae. Dark hooves shift the leaves from side to side, drawing vague and unfamiliar symbols into the dirt as I slowly amble forward. I cannot tell how long I follow this barely-there path, sometimes it branched off into three's and two's, coaxing me into the unknown although I always chose the brighter road. At this point I was in no mood for darkness, the shadows were already like angry spirits, dancing and clawing through the corner of my eyes, waiting for something to leap out for me. Then she was there, or I was there, here, wherever here happened to be. The path opened up into a clearing and there near the far side was a filly, white as snow with two wings perched tightly against her delicate sides. I stop, head jerking up and lips pulling taught into a pursed line.

We were not alone, aside from the wilting flower at the girl's feet there were four faded tombstones set in a sloppy semi-circle. Perhaps tombstone was putting it simply, because they were more like sanded monuments, etched with runes I could not read and all number of intricate designs. Each stone was guarded by a wooden shrine that suffered their own tragedy of age and weather, but stood resolute and proud all the same. The filly was snuffling about one shrine in particular, shrouding it from view, but what I could see of the smooth stone were black markings, black as coal and unreadable. Should I say something? Let the filly know that her sanctity had been breached? This place seemed like the sort one would hole up in to escape reality. "Ahem... I - am I interrupting?"  

"Talk."

@Erthe
eat me up,
i'm dead inside.

image | coding

Chan
Erthë
You're so cold but you feel alive

It was unusual to be disturbed out here. Either because it was such a long trek from any herd land or due to her preferred time of day to visit, Erthë had always been alone on the plateau. Only the first time she came here, together with Ophelia, had she been in company - and she had to say she preferred it that way. Not because she was ashamed in any way of coming here, but rather because it was such a private thing. Her devotion to the Goddess could so easily be seen as controversial - the dark deity, the murdering god, the fickle wind that turned on a whim - and though Erthë wouldn't hesitate to face the rest of the world in stubborn defiance should they shun her for this... it was, generally, preferable to get along.

Hence, the filly tried her best to keep her near zealous admiration of the Moon at a tolerable level, and when she heard footsteps on the barren, rocky path that led up to the plateau Erthë bit back a sigh, carefully masking her disappointment that the peaceful moment had been interrupted. Be nice she told herself as the new arrival addressed her; with a faint smile the antlered dove turned around to face the stranger.

"Not at all, I was just..."

But she broke off as pale eyes landed upon the figure before her, widening in shock upon seeing the battered, bruised and clearly exhausted child. It was a child, couldn't be more than half a year at most. Reflexively Erthë glanced about to see where the mother was, or any guardian for that matter, but all she saw was the faint outline of black rock and the blue glow of lava that continually oozed from the volcano.

"Oh no, are you alright?"

Leaving her rocks to litter all they wanted the young priestess ambled over to examine the injuries, brow knitting into a deep frown. Not sure whether she should be angry or worried or sad that she had no way to immediately relieve this girl from her pain, she forgot about her own pains, forgot about the ever-present limp her own leg caused; this did not look like the kind of injury one obtained from personal clumsiness. Either she'd been dragged down by a rock-slide or she'd been in a fight.

"I'm Erthë, apprentice to the Seer of World's Edge. Can you tell me what happened? Do you need me to fetch a healer?"

The Throat would be closest, she could probably reach the herd and be back with a healer in a day, if she didn't pause to rest. Provided the healer had wings too. The thought of leaving this kid here on her own even for a short while wasn't pleasant however; though this was the Veins of the Gods, there were still plenty of dangers for a young horse to stumble into.

image | coding

@Bathsheba

Outcast
Kansas
bathsheba
'Not at all, I was just- Oh no! Are you alright?' here was a splendid example of what I had not wanted to happen. My intention of avoiding this form of interaction had been arduous and planned, avoiding equine that might try to reach out to the 'poor unfortunate soul!' I was not poor, nor was I unfortunate. I was, however, young and brazen, earning me a trophy in which to bring home to Mother (where are you?). somewhere at the back of my skull I refused to believe she was gone, a hard, heavy presence that refused to quite settle down. How could this girl know that though? She knew nothing, only what her gentle eyes told her as she turned her body around to face me. "I am okay I was- oh..." She was already moving on to the next phase of concern, even as I parted chapped lips to respond. Along with her name and a slew of other titles I could not place, she offered her help, aide to the crippled filly who obviously should not have been out here alone! (No! Don't think like that.) how could I not? (She is only trying to help, she means no harm!).

"It's only some bruising really, it probably looks worse than it is." And if worse meant excruciating and unnaturally painful than yes, it must have looked pretty nasty. How often does one come across bruising caused by fire, or electricity I should say. That filly, whoever she might be, had been merciless and crass in her treatment of me, especially considering I had only been trying to mind my own business. Talking that way though, throwing such crude and thoughtless insults? How could anyone condone such behavior? Where was her Mother to smack some respect into that wagging tongue? Then again, I suppose at this point I was in no position to be pointing fingers. I had not exactly put myself out there as a stellar example of mannered and 'well-behaved.' My own Mother would likely be appalled to know I had had such little self-control and even had the gall to get physical with things. But Sialia was not here was she? She was gone, missing without a trace and when I found her, I was surely not going to tell her where I got this ugly wound. "I am... Bathsheba of, well, the Basin."

At this point every breath was more of a wince, inhaling air into shredded lungs, injured by several days of heat and a sore lack of water. There were so many things I could have used right about now, a nice massage, a drink that lasted longer than a few sips, and a gentle nose to tell me how everything was going to be okay. A thick body to rest beside as the world slowly settled itself back into proper order. Pale eyes observe the filly, Erthë, as she moves closer. Her face was soft, apologetic even as my eyes traveled down that delicate chest to note the limp impeding her every step. A pang of something strange found its way into my breast, a blossom of heat and sadness, a familiar sensation of pity, except this time for somebody else instead of myself. It was bizarre seeing another soul who also suffered the curse of being crippled, as though in response to the emotional stimuli, the muscles in my hind-legs clenched hard. It was difficult to remain standing, not wanting to show anymore weakness than absolutely necessary. Erthë had spoken of healers and my brain automatically reached out (help me!) while my throat clamped down on any kind of verbalization. I had already caused enough havoc for one life-time, there was no need to bother someone completely unrelated because of my own inability to hold my tongue and look the other way.

"Talk."

@Erthe
eat me up,
I'm dead inside.

image | coding

Chan

The girl waved away her concern with a gruff casualness that almost made Erthë laugh, so familiar did it sound to her. How often had she uttered that phrase herself, when unwanted attention was directed at her? Too many to count, and it was a habit she still had yet to outgrow. Ah, pride. How it turned even the most sensible of souls into stubborn fools, so ready to wallow in pain and suffering just to save some face.

Pursing her lips she narrowed her eyes at the girl in an expression that was far older than her apparent age. "I should hope that you are right, Bathsheba of the Basin, because it sure looks to me like you have taken a beating."

Sizing the filly up with a stern expression, softened by the apparent concern she felt upon inspecting the burns and bruises, Erthë shook her head and sighed to herself. The girl looked strong enough, well built and adequately round around belly and hips; she must have been well cared for until recently, which logically suggested that she either had strayed too far away from home... or that something had happened that forced her out on her own. The young acolyte hoped it was the former. A second look at the filly's hind legs made her doubt that this kid could run very fast if need would arise, which would make her an easy target for predators. Leaving her alone here now completely ceased to be an option, but how was she going to convince the stubborn brat that she needed help?

Her most immediate worry however was about those bruises. She was no healer, no warrior used to seeing injury and battle-wounds up close. Her uncle had taught her the very basics of healing, which herbs to use and when but it felt so terribly inadequate now.

"Look..." Erthë sighed, her voice softer as she continued. "I won't make you talk about it if you don't wish to. But I really think someone should take a look at those wounds... I can't tell whether something is broken or bleeding inside, but if it is then you could be in real danger."

"Won't you let me help you?"
It wasn't quite a plea, but the soft nose that reached out to gently brush over Bathsheba's marbled neck was coaxing, soothing, and just as stubborn as the young unicorn. Erthë would not leave her alone; it would be better for both of them if Sheba just accepted that.

Erthë
image | coding

@Bathsheba

Outcast
Kansas
bathsheba
Yes, I had taken a beating, I had been humiliated in one of the worst ways possible on top of being unable to do anything about it. Somehow hearing her point it out only managed to amplify the dismay growing steadily in my chest, pressing against the soft folds of my heart, making it difficult to breathe. "I-" I do not think that she meant to hurt my feelings, or make me feel worse than I already did. If anything she seemed hell-bent on giving me aide since realizing that I was in fact, injured. Injured, such a querulous term, the word itself was a hard-earned fact that left me hanging high and dry in a situation I was desperate to find some good in. Erthë was not unkind, moving ever closer, close enough to reach out a tentative muzzle to brush against my cheek. The action may have seemed irrelevant to anyone looking in and not knowing, but I could see the willful hope bubbling behind those pale blue eyes as they stared down at me. Help, I needed to accept her help instead of putting up such a fight and acting the fool.

Yet... is that what Sialia would have wanted? Erthë claimed to be from somewhere else, maybe another herd, wouldn't that warrant some level of distrust? Mother always warned me against talking to strangers and more-so, following them around. It was her way of keeping me safe, keeping me holed away from danger where I could not defend myself as normal foals could. Which is precisely how I managed to get myself into this whole mess! But this girl did not seem to wish me any harm, actually it was almost unnerving just how worried she was over my well-being, considering she knew nothing about me. Maybe if I had taken the time to look at the filly that did this to me I would have sensed the peril that would come, like I could look at Erthë here and recognize that she meant no harm.

Against my better judgement I caved, perhaps too easily did I take down my walls and let her see my honest to God feelings. A young, chiseled face painted in every shade of pain and discomfort you could imagine, my body jerking with every breath as days of travel and sleepless nights caught up with me. I hurt so much, so badly, even if the bruises really were superficial they still caused me so much pain. My legs trembled, struggling to support my weight under all of the stress pressing down all around me. "I don't know where I'm going, I don't know where I am, I'm scared and I haven't seen my mother in days - she's lost!" surely my helpless bleating would turn her head, make her think twice as the child that I was came pouring out in lieu of the soldier I tried to be.

"Talk."

@Erthe
eat me up,
I'm dead inside.

image | coding

Chan

This was a new experience for the frost-skinned young mare. Up until now it had always been she that needed comforting and support, and she had been fortunate indeed to be surrounded by responsible adults on whom to lean. From her loving - if perhaps somewhat inattentive and frequently absent - parents, to the leaders of the Edge and many, many others across the continent she had received attention, care and safety, ultimately leaving her able to cope with everything that had happened to her. Though she missed her dead mother, though she suffered from the pain of poorly healed injuries and avoided gazing too long into pools of water so she wouldn't have to look at the ugly white eye that marred her otherwise pristine features, none of it had managed to break her spirit. Bend it, yes, shape it and perhaps twist it somewhat... but not so deformed that she could not keep herself together.

Seeing Bathsheba out here all alone, struggling by herself to find a mother that had vanished - and with the whole of Helovia between her and the herd to which she belonged - and in such a desperately battered state... It made Erthë ache inside, a strong surge of pity soon replaced by an even stronger howl of anger towards the irresponsible mare that left her daughter alone like this. What kind of mother did that? What could possibly be more important than your own child, so much so that she would leave without even revealing where she was headed?

For a moment the pale eyes flashed dangerously as Erthë seethed over idiotic mares, the air growing decidedly chilly around her as her grasp on her magic slipped. But when she sidled in beside Sheba and made to drape a cold, white wing over the child's back her movements were quite calm, the voice steady and reassuring as she spoke again, while drifting frost glittered and shimmered in the air around them.

"Sshh, easy girl. You are safe here. I won't let anyone do anything to you. And do you see those?" She nudged her chin in the direction of the shrines, smiling slightly as she glanced at them and then back at the filly.

"They are shrines. This is the Veins of the Gods, and each of them is dedicated to one of Helovia's four gods. They say that if you pray before them the gods might answer, and grant you a wish..."

Though they might also decline to give aid. Erthë threw a quick glance at the ash-stained monument belonging to the Sun God and looked away again, uncomfortable as the memory of his rejection - and every other memory of him for that matter - tried to resurface. She was not going to tell the young paint about her own failure; Erthë was trying to comfort her, not make her more dispirited than she already was.

"I'm sure that if you ask them for help in finding your mother, they will do what they can to aid you. Until then, you need to stay strong and focus on taking care of yourself. How will you find her again if you are too hurt to follow the guidance the gods might give?"

She said this with a little smile, trying to soften her words so they wouldn't sound too harsh. Shifting weight between her feet the hybrid gazed at Bathsheba, those age old eyes both knowing and understanding. Of course she could empathize with this lost child, when she had spent so much time searching for both father and brother, and followed her own mother on an endless hunt for the brother she had never met. Half her too short life had been spent chasing after ghosts, and look where it had brought her. Crippled before even reaching maturity, battle-scarred and robbed of her innocence before she even had grown up.

"As for where you should go..." The young priestess paused, head tilting to the side as she mulled over that thought herself.

"For starters, the nearest place where we might find a healer to take a look at you. The Dragon's Throat is closest to where we are now, no more than a few days walk. Or I could bring you home with me, but that is a long journey and I'm hesitating to drag you out in the wilds while you are this shaky."

Frowning the hybrid girl observed the strained breathing and trembling legs of her charge, inwardly cursing her own helplessness. Why hadn't she asked Badger for more lessons? Why was she not hanging at the heels of the menders at home, pestering them with questions and begging for information? If seemed so foolish now to devote all her energy to the past when there were those around her who needed help now.

"What do you say? Do you want me to take you to the Throat? After that we can go wherever you want - to the Edge, the Hidden Falls or even back to the Basin, if you'd rather wait for your mom at home."

It was not going to be an option for the filly to continue roaming the wilds in this state, the seraphs tone made this quite clear. Erthë told herself this wasn't hypocritical of her to decide. While she too had wonky legs and was precariously young she was not roughed up and exhausted, and she had her wings to carry her high above any danger that might appear. Bathsheba wasn't as fortunate, and the frost-marked mare was determined to see her to safety in one piece.  

Erthë
image | coding

@Bathsheba

Outcast
Kansas
bathsheba
When I revealed my weaknesses I suppose it was only natural for the white filly to look shocked, who would not? I was admitting to being helpless and in need of care, I was displaying my inability to function as a normal foal in a manner less than dignifying. Even as she began the process of changing faces I could feel the humility creeping up my neck, choking on the tongue that so easily shed my fears upon this stranger. It was a feeling that began to fester with every step the frosty girl took (she does look cold doesn't she?), slowly limping forward to align herself at my side. One large wing, (they are quite large) I thought, pulled away from her side, revealing a faint bluish dusting across her back and ribs I had not seen before. For a moment all I could think about was just how white this Erthë was, so stark and almost bland, if not for the mystical effect it sort of had on you. She was so beautiful, pale and powdery with her soft baby blues and even the horns curling out of her skull were something to be admired. The whole get-up made her devastatingly handsome and managed to give away a brand of elegance I could only dream of achieving.

I was boring, I came across those with coats similar to mine all the time, same old boring black and white. Compared to this gem I was the pauper to her princess and although it might not have been the best method, it was enough to drag my mind away from the numbing pain radiating up from my back-legs. Focus on something, on her, on the way her mouth moved and the muscles rolled under her skin. (Can I be beautiful like this one day?).

"Dragons... throat?" Who named something after a dragon's throat? I could only imagine how hot and uncomfortable that would be. My biggest question should have been what the throat was, another herd? Just another obstacle between me and my Mother? The way Erthë talked it sounded very much like another herd-land, liked the Basin. Short, vague memories of Sialia discussing other places like home came to light, chugging sluggishly from the dark recess of my mind. It seemed logical that the Basin was not the only herd in the land and yet there was a notion in my head that made me want to believe it was, for purely selfish reasons. "Gods?" even better! She started the entire explanation with some excerpt about Gods. Now what were those? My pale blue eyes followed the direction of her nose as she gestured toward the shrines I had noted earlier. Those old things? Falling apart, chipping stones caked in sand and etched with some unreadable language. Those were what housed the Gods she spoke of? It seemed a little bit... inadequate.

But Erthë was elated over the whole thing and so I simply shrugged my shoulders as she made suggestions, pray to them, ask them for guidance. Until this moment I did not even realize such things existed, which was a wonder considering, you would think that my Mother would have explained such powerful deities if they were capable of all that. Especially if they could potentially heal me. I was not going to erase the joyful glow on her face though, instead pulling a smile from somewhere out of a dark corner. This Dragon's Throat sounded like my best bet to be honest, with a healer that could at the could help ease the pain. "I suppose I should visit this Dragon's Throat then." her usage of 'we' was not lost, making my spine tingle with anticipation and anxiety. I was not used to the herd-complex that so many deferred to, being mostly on my own or with Sialia had its effects on a young mind.

"Talk."

@Erthe
eat me up,
I'm dead inside.

image | coding

Chan

It was a trial in patience to remain silent while the filly mulled over her suggestions. For someone as impulsive and fickle as Erthë it was quite admirable not to shuffle about, sigh in frustration or tap a cloven hoof against the ground, a true sign that age really did come with greater stocks of wisdom - or at least common decency. If she happened to readjust the wings or flick her tail a bit too excessively it was certainly not a conscious attempt to hurry the girl along. On the contrary, Erthë was already beginning to regret her own suggestions. Though it was too late to say something of the sort now, it was starting to look mighty reckless just to drag this child to the Throat. While indeed the shortest distance of travel to a place guaranteed to possess competent healers, Bathsheba would likely have been better off staying here while Erthë set out to find some outcast healer or perhaps even attempted to sort the kid out herself. Would she even have the strength to travel in her condition? And if it truly was nothing more than bruising, like she said, then would there be anything left to heal by the time they did reach the desert isle?

But, Erthë sighed to herself, done was done and the girl was nodding that she accepted the offer to help. Taking it back now would be cruel indeed, so the young philosopher forced herself to smile like she meant it while she nodded to the stocky paint.

"Good, then we'll do that" she said, warmth coloring the vocals as tension drained from the cords. "You should rest a bit before we head off. Why don't you lie down and sleep for a while? I'll wake you in a few hours, we'll get going before the temperatures rise again."

Stepping aside so that the path to the shrines behind her no longer was blocked, Erthë indicated with a wing that Bathseba could lie down on the smooth surface in front of the structures. It might not be comfortable, but at least the Veins was one of the safer places to rest. Few big predators found their way in here as the grazing was too scarce to attract prey, and though the glowing eyes and yelps of lantern foxes could be eerie enough the skittering creatures couldn't do much to harm to horses, not when one was in moderately good shape.

Besides. Would the gods really tolerate violence to be performed on this holy ground? Erthë wanted to believe that they wouldn't, that they somehow protected and safeguarded this location even though the shrines no longer stood whole and inhabited. It felt better to think that way, and comforted by the imagined presence of divine protection Erthë settled in herself to wait, determined to get as much rest as she could while the sky darkened and night set in.

There would be quite enough to worry about in the days to come; better relax while she still could.

Erthë
image | coding

@Bathsheba - If you get them going from here, I'll set up a new thread in DT :) Feel free to pp Erthë waking up Sheba - or the other way around - whichever you prefer.

Outcast
Kansas
bathsheba
I watch her quietly, eyes roaming across the sweeping curve of her rib-cage, sweeping into the relaxed valley of her hips. I do not know why but looking at her now, sleeping peacefully, she seemed so fragile. It forced me to wonder (is that how others see me?). I cannot imagine anyone could look at me and see someone as breathy and... it was there, right on the tip of my tongue. A sort of feeling that tickled the edges of my mind the longer I gazed at the white yearling. Powder! Yes, that was it. I cannot imagine anyone seeing me as breathy and powdery as Erthë, she is beautiful. She is all long, gangly limbs and smooth skin, gifted with that precious white that made it difficult to see her as anything other than good. Perhaps that is why I remained, why I chose to stay standing there as the minutes ticked by into hours. Why for whatever reason, I gave this stranger the benefit of the doubt, and entrusted her with my well-being.

Mother would be so disappointed.

But mother was not here. Sialia was gone, lost (abandoned you), no doubt searching desperately for her errant daughter. That is what I am right? Errant, disobedient, I left the safe-zone, traveled wayward in fright and desperation. Possibly looking for her, or maybe I just needed to escape. There was no right or wrong answer, both of them sounded right in my head, resonated correctly in my heart. I wanted to leave that place, designated as my newest bolt-hole, utilized for the sole purpose of hiding me away from everyone else. Safe, that is what it was, safety was Sialia's prime directive where I was concerned. She taught me everything I needed to know, how to hunker down and make myself less visible, even with this blue horn of mine. She showed me how to use water to assuage the pain in my legs, make it easier to move off in the face of danger (yeah right). I can forage, make scraps out of bark and survive off of willow. I can make symbols in the dirt that only she would know, our own little language between mother and daughter. That was a good thing was it not? Such a developed relationship was smiled upon in society right? So where was she? My guides went unheeded, unseen. It was three days since my departure and here I was, surrounded by foreign trees, foreign ground, strange rocks and an unexpected friend. Friend, the word sounded bizarre and heavy on my mind, aching against the back of my throat.

Erthë was here, but I do not think she particularly meant to be. Maybe it was the way she quirked her legs when I appeared, in how her ears first dropped at being disrupted from her pondering. Mother's first rule was always to look, see what was happening around you, notice everything and make calculated decisions from that point on. I did not see Erthë, I stumbled upon her. Now she was bound to promises that even I did not want to keep, but promises were the golden rule of life, you did not make them to break them.

My gaze is taken from the white filly, forcefully tearing myself from the angst drawing up against my breast, making it hard to breathe. I needed air, something fresh and not so drenched in reality, I needed... Gods. I remember the bright, vivid light in her eyes as Erthë explained them to me, as though they were common knowledge and she was tutoring an infant. She was not wrong, I had never heard of the Gods until earlier, Sialia never mentioned them even once. Yet here was a yearling who claimed there were four of them, snuggled soundly within their rocks, waiting for the unsuspecting to come upon them for whatever reason. How was it that four, infinitely powerful beings wound up trapped within stone? Pale blue eyes wander slowly over every edge, drinking in the runes upon each surface, their differences, a language I could not decipher all the while feeling inherently at home. I want to speak, draw one of these Gods from their chamber, if only to see it in the flesh, see if it was real. I turn to face them, all four of them, hooves planted firmly in the dirt as I observe closely.

Erthë had been poring over the darker one, off to my right, drawn upon in a sharp and edgy black as though someone had scored the top with pure starlight. The longer I stare the colder I get, a hollow sensation that sways at the base of my gut, I swallow and move on. This one is pale, lighter than the rest and the writing flows, it reminds me of water, carving its way through soft stone. Vines grow up and around, climbing through the wiry saplings standing guard at its head, small blue flowers could be seen between thin leaves. The chill is replaced with something warm, like the spring sun only just coming over the horizon. The feeling hits me quite strong, although I am not sure how - I feel safe, much like I did when my mother was around. Reluctantly I bring my gaze to the next shrine and I stop, lids narrowing just so. This stone was dark, charred and ashy, stung by fire and left to suffer beneath years of weathering. It made my heart pound fiercely and I exhale deeply, "Sun..." -CAW!

A bird, one I do not recognize, bursts from the lower limbs of a tree. Shrieking a song of warning, foreboding and obnoxious, it grates against the soft shell of my ears. I jump in fright, startled, stumbling backward while all connection to the strange tombstones are lost. "Stupid bird!" I gasp, shaking my head in an effort to re-arrange my nerves. It was time to go, I needed to leave this place with its broken paths and simmering, colorful creeks of... I hated to say lava but that really is what it looked like. Flesh still shivering after my brief scare, I stride sadly over to my yet sleeping companion "Erthë, Erthë wake up, it's been forever we need to go. Maybe I'm too rude, harsh even as I reach down to nose at her flank nearest me. I press my front hooves to her back as gently as I can and lean, much like I do with Sialia when she has slept past her intended awakening. Or whenever I was bored. It takes her a moment but the filly, agile even with her own crooked legs, comes away from the leaf-mold and shakes the sleep away. Anyone could see that she was still tired, maybe she was suffering too, lost in a way like I was. There were no words needed for her to pick a direction and start walking, I merely followed, lips pulled into a taught line, nostrils fluttering in anxiety. I had no idea the adventure that awaited me, and all I had to do was leave.

Speech

@Erthe - oh my god I'm so sorry this is so long, I really tried not to pp her as much as possible like, words or anything. I don't think it would be terribly necessary, I know I hate being talked at when I first wake up lol. But I tried to make the leaving part simple, I hope that's what you meant by 'take it from here?' Ha ha... ha. I guess just tag me whenever you get the thread in the DT up. (I completely forgot to throw her pain in there and I'm not ashamed)
eat me up,
I'm dead inside.

image | coding