the Rift

[PRIVATE] Disarray

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

Having collected a rather extensive - to her - collection of items lately, it was liberating to leave some of them in the care of Hemlock near her nest so that she could move for a time unaccompanied by the clinking of delicate glass trinkets. Not that Alysanne did not appreciate the gifts she had accumulated, of course, but it seemed a shame to interrupt the new dawn with any noise beyond the muffled sound of her hooves against grass and fallen needles.

Though it was still early in the day, the air was growing heavy and promised to be sticky with humidity before long. This Tallsun, she had discovered what it felt like to sweat beneath her wings and it was not a sensation that she looked forward to experiencing as this heat wave continued. Alysanne wondered if she should travel North - perhaps she could go visit Lena again, use the excuse of seeing her friend as a reason to escape the heat for a day.

For now, though, the peaceful morning seemed like the perfect opportunity to re-visit the violet canopy where the herd meeting had taken place. She had not been here since.

The doubts spoken against her still echoed through her mind - bothering her because she worried they existed in everyone’s mind. Nyx had apologized before running off and, truthfully, Alysanne was more concerned about whether the mare had safely delivered her children or not. Without her healing magic, she was almost useless to help. It wasn’t the voice of the pale unicorn that echoed in her mind now but a swelling combination of everyone’s - with her own shouting the loudest.

Could she do this?

With a snort and a shake of her head - as if those actions alone could clear away the doubts - Alysanne turned away from the canopy and moved instead toward the small lake that was nearby where she stopped once the water swelled gently around her hooves.

*ALYSANNE
lying on the edge of a star

for @Nyx
not much but it's a start :D
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow

In the weeks since the birth of her children, Nyx has been living in blissful ignorance. When she's with the twins, helping them walk, feeding them, teaching them about the Edge, she can forget the very real troubles that wait for her. If she avoids all other contact with Edge members and focuses fully on her foals, she can pretend that everything is okay, that the disastrous meeting never happened. Arakh and Esinakh are her escape, and she seizes the opportunities they present like a starving man seizes food.

Yet it cannot last. She can't force aside what she's done forever; it isn't healthy, and it certainly isn't strong. Nyx prides herself on not being a coward, and yet a niggling voice in the back of her mind tells her that putting off the inevitable is the worst form of cowardice. She argues back that caring for her twins is far more important than righting the wrongs she'd created, and yet she knows in her heart of hearts that neither foal needs her every hour of the day. If she wanted to find time to seek out the herdmembers that she needs to speak with, then she could find time. She cannot keep using her children as excuses.

That's why, early in the day, the mare finally summons her courage and leaves her twins snoozing in a fuzzy heap beneath the shade of a tree. She touches her soft muzzle to both of their gently rising flanks, and asks Dominus to watch over them whilst she's gone. With a deep breath and a hardening of her heart, Nyx sets out to make the first - and arguably most important - set of amends.

She finds her winged queen by the lake. As a general rule, the ironheart does not like water, especially deep water, yet it's a sign of her determination that she steps freely into the lake until it's up to her fetlocks. "Queen Alysanne." That little voice in her head points out that referring to her as Queen now is like closing the gate once the horse has bolted, but Nyx doesn't think there's anything wrong with showing a bit of respect before she launches into her healthy helping of humble pie. "I've been meaning to speak with you." She pauses, giving the Queen ample chance to tell her to piss off and leave if that's what she desires; it's no more than the grey deserves.

Other characters have permission to use magic/violence against Nyx at any time.

Movement drew Alysanne quickly out of her thoughts, snapping her back to the present with unrelenting force. Her green eyes quickly cast around for who it was and the figure is instantly recognized. The same face that she had been hoping to cross paths with every day since the meeting - Nyx. A small, sad smile tugs at the corners of her mouth as she turned to properly face the General. “Hello Nyx.” Although she appreciated the sign of respect, nodding her head in acknowledgement of it, being addressed as queen still felt strange. She hadn’t made it a habit of being addressed as Doctor Alysanne and she did not plan on changing her habits now that her rank was different. “Just Aly is fine, please.”  

The manner of Nyx wasn’t one of abrasiveness as it had been at the meeting, and Alysanne felt herself relaxing from the tension as her hooves shifted in the shallow water - but the look of concern did not fade. Nyx’s words had dredged up her own fears, ones that she relayed to Tembovu as soon as they had a moment together after the meeting. She hated seeking validation from him - it still made her skin crawl - but he had seemed certain. And, for now, Alysanne wasn’t ready to give up on this chance she had been given. The chance to do something good for her herd, the herd she loved with so much of her heart.

“I’ve been hoping to speak with you as well.” Alysanne responded in a soft whisper but her apologies and questions were stifled for now and instead she started off with what, she hoped, was a fairly neutral topic first. Whatever else they would talk about next, the concern she felt over the once-pregnant mare was genuine. “Did the birth go smoothly?” Her gaze shifted around, searching the shores for the sign of a foal but perhaps it was still asleep this early in the morning.

For this brief moment, they were just two mares, standing in the lake discussing everyday matters.

*ALYSANNE

@Nyx <3
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

The torrent of abuse that she expects does not come; quite the contrary. Her Queen is polite, pleasant, and even asks about how the birth went. If anything, Alysanne's niceness only makes things worse, because it feeds the flames of guilt inside Nyx's heart and fans them until they are a raging inferno. If Alysanne had shouted back, argued and raged as most of the herd had done, then it would have been far easier for the ironheart to harden herself and descend into petty insult-slinging again. As it is, because the Queen is so darn reasonable, it means that Nyx has absolutely no escape from the apologies she needs to make.

God dammit.

But first, the question of the birth. "I've...had smoother." She remembers the blind panic of Esinakh's red bag, the sheer heart-ripping terror at the realisation that her darling girl wasn't breathing, the overwhelming relief when that little sparrow's chest finally heaved its first taste of Throat air. She does not know how to put that into words, nor does she want to, because she does not want Alysanne thinking she is trying to get sympathy in order to hide her crimes. "I was carrying twins, which comes with its own set of complications. Ironically, I needed a healer to help save one of their lives - karma's way of biting me on the ass, I assume." There's a hint of her usual sharp, sarcastic demeanour in her bitter words, and the ghost of past pains flickers momentarily across her face; but it is, indeed, just momentary, and she quickly turns her attention to the apologies she needs to make.

"Queen Alysanne - Aly -" It sounds so familiar, so friendly, so wrong when she's about to apologise for essentially ruining what should have been the proudest day of the mare's life, "- I cannot put into words how sorry I am for what happened in the meeting. I have absolutely no excuses for my behaviour. Of course, I could say that it was pregnancy hormones - as I'm sure you know, pregnancy can turn even the mildest-mannered mares into raging she-bitches - or jealousy, or the heat, and I'm sure all of those things played a part in my...outburst. But they are not to blame. That is all on me." Her voice aches with bitterness and remorse; true remorse, not the oh-I'm-sorry-honestly innuendo that she usually uses.

@Alysanne

Alysanne’s green eyes are clouded with worry, unsure for a moment whether Nyx would expand and explain what she meant, but the worry did not dissipate when the explanation did come. Having nearly lost Naerys the day she was born, losing a child is not a fate she would wish on any parent. “I’m a twin but I have yet to experiencing birthing a set of my own - I can’t imagine it’d be pleasant even in the best circumstances. But I’m glad there was a healer present.” Alysanne wasn’t in the mood to linger on the irony, her concern easily outshadowed any other reactions she might have had. She caught the slight edge of sarcasm in Nyx’s words but was not in the mind to entertain it herself. She was just happy the foal had been saved.

After that subject was settled, she waited with no ending of patience, listening intently to what Nyx had to say. She had hoped for the chance to smooth things over with the General, of course, but she had expected to be the one to see out the silver mare - not the other way around. Could Nyx appreciate just how much that meant to her? “Thank you.” Were the first words out of her, needing to get that out right away. “I appreciate your apologies, Nyx. The meeting was… well, it got out of hand very quickly. No one was expecting Tembovu to make the decision he did… or not as quickly.” The timing had certainly not been great - just moments on the heels of Elsa stepping down, Tembovu offered a new name. If it hadn’t been her own, Alysanne still would have been concerned. I certainly wasn’t.” Of course Nyx words had hurt, had needled at the insecurities that had hardly dissipated since then, but there was no point in saying all of that to the General - Alysanne had no intention of making her feel worse when it meant absolutely everything that she was taking this chance to apologize.

“But you did bring up some good points.” Maybe they weren’t brought up constructively but they had been good points. “While I may balance out Tembovu and his mind for war, I don’t intend on being completely unschooled.” The few, scattered spars that Alysanne had attempted had been rather unsuccessful but there was a chance all she needed was a different teacher. “Perhaps, sometime, you could instruct me? It would be an honour to learn from our General.” A small, hopeful smile brightened her expression then as she waited to see Nyx’s reaction.

Typically, throughout her stay in the Edge Alysanne hadn’t mingled overly much with the warriors and she wanted to change that - and she did not think Nyx would have risen to the position she was at without knowing a thing or two and Alysanne would be a fool to not trying to learn something.  

*ALYSANNE

@Nyx sorry about the wait <33
made by the lovely tamme

She dips her head in agreement with the notion that birthing twins is not easy. She has had three sets of the little shits now, although to all intents and purposes Oizys and Enyo don't count in that given that to the rest of the herd, they are simply adopted. There's no denying that she seems to have a genetic predisposition for producing twins, despite the toil they take on her body.

The first thing Alysanne does is to thank her, and the silver inclines her skull again in a gesture of respect and deference. Indeed, Tembovu's announcement had been a surprise, and the green-eyed monster in Nyx had thought that she may have been the chosen candidate upon Elsa's dethroning. After all, few had served the herd for longer or with more loyalty, and she had already been knocked back once when Elsa was promoted. That feeling of entitlement - because that's what it is, no matter how she tries to dress it up - played a large part in her outburst, but if anything it only vindicated Tembovu's decision not to choose her as queen. With her mouth and temperament, she would make a poor excuse for a leader.

That hardly makes it hurt any less, though.

Overall, the painted mare takes the apology well, and Nyx feels a great bubbling of gratitude. A less humble creature might have spat the apology back at the General's hooves, so it is a weight off her mind that Alysanne does not seem to hold a grudge. Alas, she does not think her list of other owed apologies will be so easy. "You would have every right to tell me to stuff my apology where the sun doesn't shine, but I am grateful that you haven't. You are a good woman, Aly." She might not particularly know the mare, but that's the impression she gets - humility, intelligence and an ability to forgive.

Three things that it's often been argued that Nyx lacks. It is swiftly becoming clear why the silver has been overlooked twice for a higher position, and perhaps instead of blaming those who choose not to promote her, she should look at herself.

She does a double-take at the paint's next words, although attempts to hide it by swinging her tail hard against her flanks as though she's been bitten by a fly. She truly hadn't thought that Alysanne would want to learn to fight - she assumed healers healed and nothing else. The fact she does want to, though, is a very pleasant turn up for the books. "I...Yes, I would be more than happy to teach you. I might be a loudmouthed, tactless dimwit but I do know my way around the battlefield." She flashes her queen a grin, before lapsing into silence whilst she adjusts her balance to lessen the weight on one leg. A thought has occured to her, one that she's been deeply curious of since the meeting, one that might be overly personal to ask but that she can't help letting slip from her jaws.

"For what it's worth, I think Tembovu made the right choice." There's genuine feeling behind the grey's words as she says them, looking intently and openly at Alysanne. "Out of curiosity, are you and he.....?" Her voice drifts off, feeling that the end of the sentence is implicit. The last time she'd discussed such things with their king, he'd made it clear that his heart lay with one mare. However, as Nyx knew from experience, he'd been swayed before. Perhaps Alysanne had captured his attention as well.

Hell, she'd definitely picked up enough unresolved sexual tension in the meeting to sink a damn ship.

@Alysanne

SHHH NO THIS DID NOT TAKE ME ALMOST A MONTH

Alysanne honestly did not think she had told anyone to stuff anything where the sun didn’t shine, though that was likely more due to the fact that anger was only a new development for her in the last few years and she was still trying to wrestle with how to control it - so she had not learned the finesse of insults yet. She had only even cursed out loud once!

But that wasn’t really the point of what Nyx was saying, so she did not elaborate on that. At the comment of how she was a good woman, Aly ducked her head in thanks before returning the sentiment. “As are you, Nyx.” Aly replied with complete honesty - her green eyes soft and warm with a smile - for she truly believed that Nyx was a good woman. She knew how much courage it took to approach someone and apologize, to admit when you were in the wrong. That was a lesson that Aly was still learning for herself but one that was coming easier with age - and one she was sure she would have to learn quickly now that she was a queen.

She felt delighted when Nyx agreed to teach her a little bit of fighting, though she kept her reaction to a bright smile instead of a small dance of her hooves. “Excellent! I’m sure we can find the time. I’ve tried learning before but… things did not end well. I want to learn, I want to be able to defend my family and my home, but I can never seem to get past the block in my mind screaming at me that I’m a healer and I shouldn’t be causing wounds.” Alysanne hoped that with the right teacher (someone who wasn’t Tembovu, someone who wasn’t the same age as her son) she could push through that block. Or be pushed through it, as she suspected (and hoped) Nyx’s teaching style might be as strong as the mare herself.

And then… well, Aly couldn’t help it - as Nyx trailed off with her question and she realized what she was suggesting, the painted mare laughed. She tried not to, tried to get the burst of laughter under control enough for her to shake her head and utter a few breathless “No”s as she regained her composure. “We most certainly aren’t and I can guarantee that will never be the case.” After hearing how Tembovu and Elsa had engaged in some extracurricular activities together, Alysanne wasn’t surprised about the question - and she wondered if Nyx had known. Alysanne had only suspected - ever since Tembovu had arrived there had been no shortage of horses who looked as though they had just walked off a savannah, foals included.

It took a moment for Alysanne to realize that her laughter could have been offensive and that thought made the mirth die from her expression in an instant. “Sorry. That was rude of me, but Tembovu… well he just isn’t my type.” That seemed to be the most polite way of summing up her relationship with the Elephant King - she did not want to speak ill of him to a friend accidentally, and she was not sure what Nyx’s opinion or relationship was with Tembovu. It would hardly be very polite of her to just go around talking about how much she personally disliked the one who had just picked her to be queen by his side.

*ALYSANNE

@Nyx SORRY AGAIN
but I really wanted to have Aly respond to Nyx's question xD
made by the lovely tamme