the Rift

[OPEN] The beginnings of forever

Arah Posts: 343
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Wynter :: Royal Griffin :: Draining Clutch Frostie

Arah

I see you, you see me; that's one love, let's be free.
Then paint the town, red as roses.
Sky high until the heavens open.
I bleed for it, I cry for it and I'm free falling.

From the moment she'd realised she was pregnant she had begun to leave The Edge less and less, preferring the feeling of safety her home provided. Besides from remaning in one area, she continued on with her life as normal and aside from the swelling of her sides all was. Yet the further she progressed into her pregnancy the buried fears bubbled to the surface and eventually broke free. The fears for her child's life. While she knew that it was normal for most new mothers to worry about nonsensical things in regards to their child, she could not help feeling that her profound fears were unquestionably realistic. Asch and Arwen never left her mind or heart and while she'd been able to find happiness without them, the pain of their absence was something she'd always feel. So she promised herself that this time would be better, different. This time she would be around to protect the life of her child. This time, if it came down to it, the universe would take her life instead of her baby's.

Wynter inspected the comforting nest-like area the doe had built for her birth. Her bonded had been watching her closely, helping keep her emotions steered more towards delight and joy at the prospect of getting a second attempt at motherhood rather that downright depression and doubt about the new phase her life was entering. After all that was what she was supposed to be feeling right? Happiness not despair? The idea that she was signing herself up for more potential pain gave her pause, would she be able to endure another child's passing? They said you shouldn't worry about things unless they were actually happening but the doe couldn't help herself. Because the unthinkable had happened to her, she' lost both children.

The griffin's weight landed on her rump, the doe sighed and allowed the darkness to ebb away from her. The time was different! She was in a warmer home, so her child wouldn't have to endure such harsh winters. She was in a better situation, Tilney was here and he wasn't going to leave her. This pregnancy had been much easier, she was quite sure that this time there would only be one babe. Closing her eyes and allowing herself a few deep breaths, Arah smiled as the calm infiltrated her system. It was then a sharp pain gripped her, she breathed deeply and opening her eyes once the sensation had passed. "Tá sé am." Wynter nodded and Arah settled down for the labour. This part at least she knew well. Learning from experience she lowered herself down into the flattered grass to prevent her knees buckling, then she waited. It was all she could do in-between the spasms of pain which slowly worsened. "Dul." The doe managed between gritted teeth, her bonded understood. Spreading her wings she went in search of Tilney.

Calm as possible as she laboured, she relied upon her body and past experience to tell her what she needed to do. So she listened to what it wanted, breathing and birthing her child into the world. There was a burning, then another pain, one final push and a wave of warm dampness between her legs. For a moment she did not move, her mind blank and breathing wheezy. She had done it, she was a mother once again! Breathlessly she lifted her head and looked upon her pale child, love...utter adoration filled her as her golden eyes beheld her baby. She couldn't get to the child soon enough, wanting to hold the warm, wanting feel the breaths and gentle heartbeat of the new, perfect arrival. Within moment Arah was cleaning her child, humming as she did so. She only paused when a thought other than cleaning and soothing her baby occurred. The child needed a name, stopping her cleaning for a moment she inspected her child.

The thought of naming her vanished and joy once again bubble over. A girl.
She'd given birth to a beautiful girl.
Her daughter.

@Tilney @Maude

Open but please wait for Tilney and Maude to post first!
And I ain't afraid to die, I’m afraid of going to hell.

✽ Force and magic permitted. ✽
✽ No fatal or permanent damage. ✽
✽ Please only tag in opening posts. ✽

Tilney Posts: 288
World's Edge Moon Doctor atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2hh :: VI HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Peatree :: Lesser Fruit Bat :: None Neverrmind

There was only so much waiting Tilney could cope with before the anxiety of it all began to eat at him. Awaiting the birth of his first child was not something swaying in the back of his mind - it took front and center, always, with hardly any distraction. There wasn't a day, hour or minute that went by that he didn't worry about his ivory girl and their babe cooped up in her womb. The flaxen man had convinced himself that he would become annoying always fussing over Arah and the nest-like place they had built in anticipation for the birth. Even smaller things were fussed over like how much shade they would be in, if there was shelter from the wind and sea spray, and where he would be able to find any other healers or doctors should the need arise - though if complications plotted a course he would be able do to as much as any other to cure it. Despite his accomplishments and his rank as a Moon Doctor, Tilney had never learned too much about the female body despite his interest in any kind of reproduction whether it be flora or fauna. Perhaps it was a subject his mentor was not comfortable discussing with him? In Tilneys mind there was no need to be uncomfortable discussing such a subject; everyone belonged to a wonderful, beautiful body - This physician wished to learn everything there was to know on how they worked.

It was a mild day, the breeze stealing every last bit of Tallsuns sting from the air. Tilney had spent his morning repotting some seedlings, and even taking some established plants he had grown from seed out to the garden. How rewarding it was to take a plant from the safe nest in its glass pot and send it off into the garden where it would spend its life doing its job - providing its medicinal herbs and pollinating others of its kind. What a charming metaphor it was for their own young ones would leave the nest one day.
Peatree had spent all morning playing in empty pots and the remaining soil. It reminded Tilney of the day he had found the hatchling not long ago. Pea was growing in strength and though he was only weeks old he was growing in size also.

A mighty stomp sounded, the remarkable noise coming from outside of the greenhouse where tilney stood with his bewildered (and scared) bonded. Upon further inspection Tilney caught sight of the glass-blurred image of his beloveds companion. The archgriffin had landed it seemed and Tilney had only one terrifying guess on why the creature was here and not with Arah. With no more then a gesture for Pea to climb aboard, Tilney stormed out of the greenhouse and looked closely at the beautiful griffin.
"It's happening isn't it!" 

There was now a well worn trail from the location of Tilneys tree where he slept every night and also the location of the nest Wynter had built. Very soon all of his questions would be answered. Filly or colt? would it look more like himself or his beloved? Who would it become, what would their voice sound like, who's eyes would he soon hold dearest? He had not even seen the babe yet though as he ran tears welled in the very corners of his eyes. A whole new world would open to him now - Tilney would love whoever was born of he and Arah's love with every sliver of his heart and mind and it overwhelmed him to say the least.
"Arah!"
Those verdant eyes fell first upon the princess of ice, hardly able to see the bundle tucked up to her when soon enough he saw her. It was the most beautiful filly, her pelt a two toned pearly white and ginger. The second thing the flaxen noticed was the two stumps on his daughters head - obviously she would be antlered just like her parents. Speechless as he was, he managed to find some words after looking from the amber eyes of his beloved to the citrine orbs of his first born.
"Oh, Arah" he took a moment to swallow and to stare a moment longer into those middle green eyes "I love her, I love you!" The man exclaimed as he bent at his knees and fell onto his rump beside his two girls, laying behind Arah to support her. He had no doubt she was absolutely exhausted. Moments passed and he dare not say a word, He would just hold the pair of them. Peatree clambered onto Arahs ribs to inspect the new arrival and Tilney finally spoke with a quiet smirk "She probably needs a name don't you think my dove?"
"She reminds me of an elder mare I knew in my childhood - her name was Maude. What do you think? I'd like to name her Maude"
The moon doctors gaze turned once again from those of his lover to his sleepy daugher born of sun and snow.
"Our Maude"

mockingale

omg real tears
+tagging ppls tilney loves who might want to come say ello (but wait for maudey moo to post first!)
@Maude @Glasgow @Rexanna @Ultima @Rift @Tembovu @Tembovu

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Maude Posts: 140
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: Yearling
Bunnie

This world she has fallen into is cold, and bright.

The leaves overhead dance in a wind that strikes her wet skin like a chilled lash, her damp face looking about with a wild bleat of surprise that is wet, the moisture of the womb still in her lungs. Again, she calls out, a newly wet warmness having begun to lick all over her, and this time the cry is louder, not just a gurgle. It ends, however, in a sneeze, a mist of moisture exploding from the delicate, damp copper nostrils of the filly.

The big, licking shadow takes the moisture away. Looking back at her with another peal of surprise and newness, the tiny unicorn marvels at the shining, pure white angel that cares for her. The sun glints on the ends of creamy tines, and her eyes, like the light caught on the ends of her horns, are warm, and welcome. A feeling she has no name for rises in her heart, flutters and flaps its golden wings.

Love!

It fills every pore of the newborn’s body, makes her tuck these awkward front things up from underneath her, uselessly sprawled until she’d remembered she had them. With a wobble, she sticks her bum up into the air, a weak attempt at walking, and she finds the strength necessary lacking. With a small whump, she falls back down, and leans back into the snowy mare that seems to have finished her cleaning.

When the other one comes, all speed and chaos with a bird white as Love in his wake; for the first time, the little filly hears words, clear of the muffled drone of the womb. While she had been pondering a nap, her tiny eyes fluttering with the exhaustion of trying to know all this new stuff (green trees, swaying grass, smells, thousands, all sharp and clear and indistinguishable from the last until the next was assaulting her), her ears rise with intrigue, her pale, glittering green eyes popping fully open to look upon her father.

She doesn’t understand him to be as much, mostly as she hears this Arah said again, more gently than the shout of before, and its distracting. But good. She had felt worry that all talking was loud like the first time he’d said it, and she was also quite puzzled as to its meaning. Was it what the pure Love was called?

Arah?

The russet healer is looking at the cream and copper filly now, she notices. He says things that make her feel warm inside, though she does not know why. Maybe it’s the tilt of his lips, or the bright shine of his green eyes, but the filly curiously watching from alongside her mother is sure he is good and pure like Love, even if he is red, and marked with lines that make her think of the towering, regal trees. The vastness of the forest is frightening, something she hasn’t been bold enough to really look at yet, but this guy? He’s not fearsome, despite being big, too.

He folds down against the ground behind pure Love, Arah.

That inside warmth grows again, her small head falling back against the smooth, perfect shoulder behind her without a thought. Her mother smells like mist, like the forest, like the dark earth against which she’d labored for the gift that dozes to sleep in the afternoon light, and the sound of her family’s voices is a gentle song.

Maude, she hears, the world blurred with gauze clouds, the dark glitter descent of sleep almost stealing her away, but not quite.

Is that me?

[ OOC: newborns are awkward. xD BUT MAUDE YAYAYAYAY]

Art by TheCallyBear@ DA

@Arah @Tilney

Arah Posts: 343
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Wynter :: Royal Griffin :: Draining Clutch Frostie

Arah

I see you, you see me; that's one love, let's be free.
Then paint the town, red as roses.
Sky high until the heavens open.
I bleed for it, I cry for it and I'm free falling.

The doe is startled from her daze by the sound of her name, golden orbs flick up to see her mate hurrying over to them. She smiles, as her eyes fall upon the stag the moment changes, it is sweeter, brighter...everything she's wanted. A family.

Their daughter.

The past no longer mattered to her, her life began from this moment. Holding this precious bundle, feeling her daughter breath and Tilney guarding and watching over them. As he inspected their daughter she continued to hum softly, happily. His sight darts between her and their child, she smiles at him then gazes down at the filly who seems quite content next to her heart. No doubt the beat was a familiarity from being in her womb, comforting to the child in her strange new surroundings. The proclamations of love cause a happily laugh to bubble from Arah's lips, "and I love you.". Her voice is tired, the birth having drained her but her spirits were high. Nothing could break her down this time. As he bent at his knees and fell onto his rump beside her and their daughter, Arah happily leant against him. His presence was strengthens her, comforting her and assuring her that everything was as it should be. Holding her and loving her, it was everything she needed from another. Tilney and their daughter was everything she needed. They sat like that for a while, enjoying the moment and meeting their new daughter. The doe's tinkling laugh sounding as Peatier clambered over the doe's ribs to inspect the child and Tilney finally brought up the matter of a name for their baby.

Names escaped her, nothing came to mind as she pondered possible names for their child. "Something sweet I think." She murmurs quietly to her mate. A name that reflected this moment of pure love, this perfect moment as a family. As Tilney speaks she watches her daughter and as soon as the name is spoken she knows it is right. Maude. Nodding happily Arah looks over her shoulder at Tilney while Wynter settles on Arah, staring down at the filly curiously. "I think Maude is perfect, my love." The moon doctors gaze returns to their daughter. Our Maude. And indeed she was. Their to keep, to love and to cherish. Maude's small head falls back against Arah's shoulder and the doe leans forward to sniff her her daughter's scent once again. "She's ours Tilney. Maude is our daughter." Can you believe it?

As their daughter dozed she rested on Tilney, humming softly as she allowed pure bliss to take over.

@Tilney
And I ain't afraid to die, I’m afraid of going to hell.

✽ Force and magic permitted. ✽
✽ No fatal or permanent damage. ✽
✽ Please only tag in opening posts. ✽

Glasgow Posts: 127
Aurora Basin Apprentice atk: 3.5 | def: 10.0 | dam: 7.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3hh :: 11 years HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Skylark
I feel lucky, with the worst luck.
Something felt off about today, and the Glazier couldn’t put a finger on it. There was something happening, she could feel it in the air, in the twist of the gut that refused to be pushed away. It resurfaced time and time again, and so Glasgow decided she might as well investigate. She started at the usual haunts, seeking out others who might have felt the same feeling in the winds and mists of her home. But alas, came across nothing. But the journey wasn’t over yet. The scarred mare continued on, seeking out others in a never ending adventure to find what was at the end of the tunnel. Her steps were slow, gracious, and soft against the tallsun beaten earth, when she finally smelled something reminiscent to the mare of childbirth. ’Perhaps this is what this feeling is all about?’ She thought to herself, following the scent to the source.

As she approached, she first saw the beautiful ivory mare she had met when she brought Tilney to the Edge. She remembered the woman fondly, Tilney’s best friend and lover – at least so she assumed from the two doves from the last herd meeting. She stayed back among the forest trees, observing ever so quietly as the bronze stallion himself checked the doe over, making sure she was fine and healthy. And when Tilney moved, the sign of the feeling in the air seemed to beam out at her. A child! Oh, how wonderful. Excitement raced through her tired bones for her friends, for the life they had created and would raise. And as Tilney laid beside Arah and the child lay against her mother, Glasgow couldn’t help but to move out from the confines of the forest, glassy eyes seeking Arah’s and Tilney’s to make sure it was alright for her intrusion. “Congratulations to you both!” Her voice was quiet, trying not to interrupt, but still holding the precious tone of excitement for the family.

Her gaze drifted down to the child, the combination of love and the two of her friends before her. She seemed to glow, a beautiful cross between snow and caramel as it seemed to dust upon her tiny pelt. There were the signs of the budding of horns across her brow, and Glasgow felt her heart begin to beat rapidly. Oh, how excited she was for the couple. But there was something a bit more deep within her that panged with sadness, with the feeling of a love she’d never experienced. She was happy for them, she truly was. But it wasn’t until now, when she viewed the perfect beautiful face of the child and felt the happiness in the air that she realized what she had been missing out on for so long. She’d never gotten to experience love or bearing children. She’d never gotten the chance to have the one and raise a child with them; and she wasn’t sure if she ever would. And all it took to come to the realization was seeing the product of love in its entirety; to be willing to create another being.

She’s beautiful.” She complimented, dipping her head lightly as she let a soft hollow smile form on her scarred lips.

"Talk."
then I met you—
when i felt messed up
Glasgow
image | coding

Hope you don't mind little debbie downer popping in :D
@Arah @Tilney @Maude

Ultima Posts: 57
Outcast
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 4
Snapdragon :: Turkish Andora Cat :: None Kairi
ultima
Ultima wasn’t a liar. The girl was straightforward and preferred to be on the simple side (she learned early on that fools got away with a scolding while clever things had to write reflections and repent), and so it was rather to her disadvantage when she saw Tilney flash by and knew irrefutably what had set fire to his heels. It was the same thing that twisted the vice around her heart, nice and tight, and it would not be denied.

Arah’s baby, she thought. The wildflower stems were sharp and sweet as she snapped them, tucking the long blooms under a wing as she picked her way through the shadiest part of the woods. That it was Tilney’s baby, too, wasn’t beyond her; she’d seen them a hundred times if she saw them once, strolling along the cliffs, decorating their little home and furnishing the nursery. Arah was beautiful as summer clouds and Ultima didn’t grudge her that. Arah had Tilney’s love and Ultima didn’t grudge her that, either; it was not the kind of love Ultima wanted from him, and so she was nothing but encouraging.

But Arah’s baby. Arah’s baby. The word made something in her ache like roaring. 

(If it was the tiny kernel of sadness that had sprouted in the desert, she didn’t admit it. She didn’t see it shove its first tender leaves through the dark earth, was too high up to see them unfurling like butterfly’s wings. Brides, after all, were the happiest girls in the world.)

No one ever spoke of it, but Ultima knew because she was a child, and children have a sense for the truth of things: she had no parents. She had Minerva and a hundred clucking ladies-in-waiting, but those weren’t parents. Tilney, warm as sunlight and quick to chide, was the closest thing she’d ever had to a father, and the idea of having to share galled her in a frightened firstborn way. If she asked herself and swore on the Altar, though, it wasn’t so much that she was here first, or any rationale so poorly cobbled together— 

It was only that she thought she needed it more. So much more that she thought her heart would crumble upon sight.

So when she did come upon the little family, scooped up into each other like nesting dolls, the sun blooming all about their heads, fine enough to be the subject of an oil painting – and the girl! that beautiful little girl! – she was stunned. She was so stunned she nearly forgot what she’d come for. 

‘Oh, thank God (may He Dream forever),’ she thought, half-stumbling with relief, ‘I didn’t crush it.’

Quiet. So soft it hurt, her every footfall painstakingly measured. Gangly as she was, she didn’t have to come too close and risk such a photo-perfect moment. Reaching under her left wing, she mouthed at and carefully procured a bundle of late summer flowers – aster, mums, clusters of sage and verbena. She set the bouquet a little ways from Arah and the babe, and stepped slowly back, “Oh, pardon,” nearly walking into Glasgow. 

‘Brides don’t cry,’ she reminded herself, the muscles of her face slipping into a perfectly crafted smile. Catching Tilney’s dewy glance, the smile broadened.

“She’s gorgeous,” the girl echoed, and was at peace.
dear god, make me a bird so i can fly far away from here

w a i l i n g yay maudie!!!! xoxoxoxo
@tilney @arah @maude @glasgow
please tag ultima in all posts!
force/magic a-ok, shy of killing/maiming her!

Tilney Posts: 288
World's Edge Moon Doctor atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2hh :: VI HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Peatree :: Lesser Fruit Bat :: None Neverrmind

Sleep was stealing their little one but it only made Tilneys smile widen. How sweet and peaceful she was, faultless and pure. Maudes heart healthy and pink came to them unstained, fluttering with each sighing breath she took. Tilney had never laid eyes on perfection quite like this, though it was not dissimilar to that he saw in the mother of his daughter - how he hoped this perfection and purity would last. 
His first fear came in the shape of an unruly child privileged to be born in safety and among friends, though still it thrived in darkness rather then light. Her once untainted heart turning darker with every day, teeth no longer clean. Perhaps this was now one of Tilneys greatest fears; seeing his Maude become this hollow, wicked being. He vowed in that moment that he would not at any cost let that happen.

Tilney then chose to let the negative thoughts float away, and it wasn't hard to let them disperse. He was certain Arah would be afraid too, even though truly this was a moment of magnificent joy for them both. The patriarch knew little about his lovers past, only that it was an unsavory topic of conversation that he did not yet know how to approach her on. Whispers had circulated during the years he'd know Arah which made him doubt this was her first child - it made him wonder what happened to her other children. 

Soon to join the loving gathering was the most welcome face of the glazier. "Glasgow" Tilney chimed, raising his head so his eyes met the frozen, scarred orbs of his friend. "don't be shy! come and meet her" was the bronze brutes next chime to his ashen friend, green eyes glancing from the eyes of his lover to those of his friend and then back to the perfect ginger lashes of his daughter. How would Maude properly know who her friends were without embracing them for the first time. It was her first moments in this world, she must know who to hold dearest.

The familiar patter of his apprentice's footfalls were soon to follow his encouraging words to the crafter and his smile turned even wider when he saw Ultima. "Alph" He cooed to the girl as she set a wonderful bouquet upon the earth not far from where he sat perched behind his dove and daughter. "Please, come closer" Tilney said to both women "sit among her, we are family! embrace her, tell her your name. We are the ones she will hold dearest"

mockingale

@Arah @Ultima @Glasgow @Maude 
glasgow or ultima or arah feel free to give her her pearl string!!!

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Maude Posts: 140
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: Yearling
Bunnie

The Love is tired, too, or so thinks Maude to herself, the same soft sound that fills her whole inside seeming to match resonance with the way Arah speaks. Unsure as to the precise sequence of events that had led to the filly’s first breaths, the world new and bright around her, the ginger and cream darling can only be glad that they are tired together.

The copper male makes up for their doziness with his enthusiasm; Tilney, Love’d called him, though the little one snuggled against her mother does not really understand names yet. To her, he’s mostly just a warm ball of energy that arrived to protect her; from what, she does not know.

Is it that one? She thinks as the trees sound the arrival of another, their low branches rustling and the shrubbery parting. The revelation, a pale, sinister looking mare with far less beautiful horns than her parents, has soft words, but Maude looks at her with citrine eyes shining and wide. Within her breast, her tiny heart flutters, looking up at the stranger’s peculiar eyes, meeting them despite her worry that it might not be safe.

When the next arrives, the filly tears her eyes away from the haunting image of Glasgow to look upon a being pretty enough to the child to be sunlit ice, or clouds. All wings at first to the babe, the woman who arrives next is also noted to hold sweet smelling, colorful things in her mouth. Things that, even to a little one such as Maude, perhaps especially so, draw her attention more than the beautiful creature carrying them does.

Her father’s warm light reaches out and envelops those to arrive. Come, he says. Come closer. We are family. Though she doesn’t know what the words mean, one of them in particular rings out to her as being special.

Family.

What a pretty sound, all wreathed in light. It chases the thought of sleep from the cherub’s thoughts alongside a new idea, her mind turning next to a truth that strikes her like lightning, or really wild wind. They’re all up! On those, thingies…

The filly smiles with curious delight, her pretty face tilting back and up to glance at her dam before she wiggles her rump up from where she’d tucked it. Her smile becomes a yawn (the white flag of her sleepiness surrendering) that seems to stretch through her body down to the tips of her hooves, the closure of the sound sending her tumbling to the ground again. Some measure of surprise and anger steals over the girl’s face: she should be able to stand like they do, too! She also has legs.

She falls down again, laying on the ground with her brows furrowed, her tiny lungs heaving, both with exertion, and outrage at falling down again. How did they do it? She looks up and down the limbs of the female strangers as if they’ve got clues notched to them, as if a newborn can read at all.

So it goes thrice more, until she is shaking out of weariness as well as anger. Her stomach seems to mimic the trembling in the most horrible of ways as she, at long last, heaves herself upright, and, with a few wobble ridden steps, manages to remain that way.

Her face shoots back to her parents, victorious surprise stealing across her face. She almost falls for that gesture, having to take a few sidelong steps with awkward gracelessness to counter balance herself, but she doesn’t fall. When she at last dares to take her first steps, her stomach rolling with a deep peal of grumbles, it’s not towards food she toddles…

But the flowers.

Awlf?” she asks them, believing with all her heart that this is what Tilney had called them when the sky woman had set them down. Her downy tail sways happily as she breathes in their perfume, small lips playfully toying with their soft, supple petals, though she stumbles ever so slightly as she lowers her head to examine them more closely.

Art by TheCallyBear@ DA

@Arah @Ultima @Glasgow

Ultima Posts: 57
Outcast
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 4
Snapdragon :: Turkish Andora Cat :: None Kairi
ultima

She was afraid at first, a frown daring to touch the edge of her mouth before she shooed it far away. Come closer? Into this photograph? The girl nearly laughed, although it would’ve been more for nerves than mockery; her plan had been to linger for just a moment, set her flowers down with a smile, and then vanish back into the trees. Down to the shoreline, she’d thought, to stare at the waves. Out to the rotunda, to lie in the thick moss and wait for it to swallow her up. She insisted to herself that she was intruding in some way, although the look in Tilney’s eyes said otherwise. It was a moment to drown in, she thought, taking that hesitant step forward. 

That was when Maude opened her mouth.

“Awlf?”

Ultima stopped dead, her expression frozen aside from her eyes, which flushed to Tilney’s and back so quickly it made the world wobble. And then it softened. And she laughed. “The flowers,” she breathed, moving forward with more purpose, her neck outstretched. Snipping a daisy from the bundle (she’d been careful not to pick anything toxic, mindful as she was during her lessons) she very gently – and slowly, not wanting to startle the babe – tucked the long stem between a knobbly antler and one of Maude’s small red ears. “There – an Alph for an Alph, hm?” 

It was strange how quickly the fondness grew, like a bridge built overnight, one person to another; she looked at the filly, so little and bright-eyed, and thought, ‘I should like to give you the world.’

“Maudie, my love,” The ‘my love’ tacked itself on without asking, but it was so natural that she couldn’t even dredge up a mote of surprise. Had Minerva felt that way? Had any of her ladies felt that way? For a moment the frown resurfaced, a nip of fear and another twinge of jealousy. But there was the fawn with the flower in her hair, tail wagging, and Ultima told herself again, less firmly this time, that Brides don’t cry.

They are generous. “I’ve one more gift for you.” And wonderful. “Just for you.” And a treasure among all the troves of the earth, and it takes one to know one, doesn’t it?

It was a time both near and far ago, the day she was to be married. She remembered waking at the crack of dawn without needing to be roused, her ladies already sorting through the gilt boxes, laying the combs out in order, cooing as her eyes adjusted to the light. They’d smoothed her hair, pulled it back from her face, dusted her with rose water. They’d set the shining bridle in place, the clasps locking shut with a magnetic clack. And then came the veil like a cloak made entirely of lace, secured around her neck and shoulders with a string of pearls. 

Most of them had been lost when she’d been taken, rattling across the mountain and again across the glass of the Flats, but a blessed few had tangled in her hair; she drew that precious thread out now, hardly long enough to be a bracelet, and set it softly on Maude’s crown. Ultima spoke without looking away, her voice subdued in a sense, and thick with unshed tears. But she was happy; so happy that, if not for the sunlight beaming through the canopy, one would have seen the glow starting at the top of her head, flaring glittering and golden across her skin. It’d been such a long time since she’d shone. 

“What do you think?”
dear god, make me a bird so i can fly far away from here

@Maude @Tilney @Arah @Glasgow sorry, but i was dying for ully to give her her pearls!! i'll behave next time xoxoxo
please tag ultima in all posts!
force/magic a-ok, shy of killing/maiming her!

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Heffalump
The scent of birth was one the Elephant would always know. No matter the slightly different nuances between mares or circumstances; some had blood, others had infection, most were normal—though they all had slightly different aromas. Still, the King would know the smell, for he so often found himself longing to be present for the birth of his own children.

Yet, he found he was more often present for the birth of others’ progeny. Though, truth be told, it was still a beautiful and wondrous thing. It just was not his wondrous thing. Regardless, his thick columns of legs still carried the great Elephant towards the smell of birth. But he is slower this time, with no scent of blood on the misted breezes. Slower from sadness that cannot help but usher on the heels of new life’s jubilant arrival.

So, when he broaches the scene, there already are others gathered. After the closeness of the generously antlered couple at the last meeting, the King is only marginally surprised to see the two embraced on the earth. Afterbirth drenched Arah’s haunches, marking her as the proud mother of the elegant bundle that stood before Ultima, the two-winged Rifitan that had joined the Edge on Tilney’s prodigal return.

A smile, warm and genuine, spread across his pale muzzle and black lips as he listened to the woman speak to the foal (’Maudie, my love’) and watched her gently place a strand of pearls amid the small peaks of antlers. His smile broadened as the luminescent orbs swamps her small head. “A beautiful gift, Ultima, befitting a beautiful foal. Congratulations, Arah, Tilney,” his low voice rumbled deeply, but quietly, in the intimate clearing. And, for a few moments, true happiness radiated from his dark navy eyes; the lines around the smoothing as he watched the new life totter on downy, tawny legs.

His eyes flicked towards Glasgow, giving a brief nod of greeting to his ever faithful Glazier, glad to find her surrounded my happiness and new life, now. In fact, he was just generally glad to see the scarred woman happy. He felt a swell of satisfaction at his choice to promote her to Glazier. Well done, Elephant. Take life’s victories, however they come.

Chibi | Icon | Bckg

LATE BUT TEMBO WANTED TO BE THERE FOR MAUDIE'S BIRTH <3

Please tag Tembovu.