the Rift

Summer's Winter || Open

Malmuirie Posts: 5
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 11
Fishie
Trees rose high over head, pillars of strength and monuments of centuries long past. Their canopies, interwoven now as deeply as their roots, blotted out the sunlight until only a faint gold-green glow trickled down to the foliage-littered floor far below. Malmuirie stood, head tilted back to gaze wide eyed up at the canopy above her. It had been... a very long time since she had stood within such a forest. The similarities struck her, painfully, in the heart. But the differences! There were so very many! For one thing, this forest was lush and green and warm, if a bit damp and humid, as opposed to the deciduous forest of eternal winter she had called home with the King, Arthmin.

She tore her gaze from the dark shadows high above her, where she still couldn't discern where one tree ended and the next began much less what types of leaves there were, and returned her attention to the forest as it was level with her. Enormous, frilled fauna stretched out from the roots of the trees, arching out in shades of emerald and amber. The earth was a rich red-brown, leaning towards black in some places. With a deep breath the mare stirred from her immobility and began the long trek through the forest once more.

The warm greens and rich browns of nature around her thrust her out into the world like a sore thumb. Her own wintry colored coat, lightening further as the years dragged on, had no hope of blending into the life around her. She was not certain, any more, that blending in was what she wanted anymore anyway. It felt wrong to hide herself now. Not so wrong as staying had been... she thought crossly. With a snort she shook her head and cast the thoughts, and the pains they sparked, away.

Unfortunately it turned her attention to a patch of glowing, golden sunlight to her right and she felt a new pain in her heart. The shade of gold of that light was almost exact for the color of the palomino friend she had left behind. Without so much as the courtesy of 'goodbye' she had abandoned him. That almost seemed worse than everything else she had done. Sighing, Rie turned from the light and retreated deeper into the shadows of the trees whether they embraced her, or not, to try and find her way out of the forest.

Elsa the Icebound Posts: 644
World's Edge Protector atk: 6 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 Hands :: Six (Frostfall) HP: 73 | Buff: BULK
Edgar :: Plain Zephyr :: Arctic & Wakiya Klare
Elsa
I've cried, and you'd think I'd be better for it, but the sadness just sleeps, and it stays in my spine the rest of my life.

The wintry duo had escaped the confines of the World’s Edge for the first time since their so called “liberation”. All had gone well, thankfully her general had not sought retaliation for her reprimands. Then again, she was probably busy with a child now since all the excitement threw her into labor.

The trek across Helovia to the Threshold was a long one. It was still an annoyance to have to walk so far. Both she and Edgar could fondly remember the days when trekking down from the Falls was quick and fast. It made the act of recruitment much easier- now she had to cross a whole land. Though in the end, the Edge’s superior views beat the beauty of every other herd combined. There was such immense power in the way the waves crashed against the cliff face.

In between all their reminiscing, the pair had crossed into the thick foliage of the Threshold. The heat down here was stifling. It was like (although shady) that the trees trapped every ounce of heat it could gather from the sun. Normally this would put her in a cranky mood, but as of late, she’s raising a big hell no to all of her upset emotions. Pretending to rule the world was much more fun than floundering in self-pity.

Edgar was the first to spot the mare who seemed to be disappearing into the shadows. She looked almost like a ghost, and Elsa was afraid if she looked away her gaze would return to find her gone. The mare looked like the personification of a shadow.

Picking up a quick trot, Elsa tried to cover the distance between them within a few moments. Once she was within a few feet, she slowed to a halt to show the girl she had no intention of running her out (or over). Instead, Elsa gave the girl a small nod and a smile. Hopefully it made up for the grotesque scar on her face.

”Hello, I’m Elsa… and something tells me you have no idea where you’re at.” I mean, if this lady was a native Helovian, she sure had a weird way of walking around the threshold. It wasn’t the normal recruiting, determined look she saw on most native Helovian’s faces around here. ”This is my companion Edgar. If you need help, we can assist you. We even have a herd we could take you to for more help if you would find that useful.” It was the fresh sound of a product placement right in the middle of her aid. Hey, the Edge could always use another member. Generally those that showed up there took up a permanent residence.

"talk"

image credits
  • Any force can be used against Elsa.
  • Please tag any posts that involves Elsa.

Kiada Posts: 181
World's Edge Nurse
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 2 years - Birdsong
Khairi :: Leucistic Lammergeier :: Paralyze Skylark
You think I'll be the dark sky
It was another warm day in Tallsun that had caused Kiada to escape the clutches of the Basin. Had she been smarter, she would’ve stayed, possibly seeking refuge in the lake away from the heat. But the filly, despite her age, was a glutton for punishment. So her and Khairi trudged on through the sun and dappled streams that flickered through the leaves that towered over the duo in returning to the Threshold. Yet, again, as she had always managed to do in the Threshold, she danced between the different trails hanging onto the faint scents of horses that have passed through recently. Khairi, now having learned how to fly a decent amount, couldn’t keep from trailing between the branches of the trees. His mammoth spread of wings casting shadows across the flames that lined Kiada’s back that had taken shape as tiny rabbits – anticipation for what was to possibly come.

It wasn’t until the tiny filly had heard voices that she chose to divert her path. Ink dipped legs trailed across the earth to seek the creator of such noise. Khairi perched in the trees, keeping his ever watchful bloody gaze on the horizon, mentally helping Kiada follow the sounds with his (quite literal) birds eye view. As they approached, they lingered in the shadows to watch for a few moments, listening quietly as she spotted an equine mare and a Pegasus. They both were light, where Kiada carried her bronze, and they had hues of inverted dark patterns to Kiada’s own inky markings. And when she felt the time was right, after she had heard Elsa speak of companions and herds, did she think she’d make her move.

Placing a smile on her little pink splotched lips, she danced out of the shadows. Flames along her back taking shape as deer with antlers that reached toward the sky as they bounded across her spine. She dipped her head to the two women, a habit that she had learned easily from Mother when greeting people with kindness, and made her way into her own little section, not too close to either of them. Khairi kept his gaze on Edgar momentarily until Kiada had finished her entrance before the ivory bearded vulture began to descend from the shadowed branches he had previously hid in, and landed effortlessly along the filly’s withers, engulfing himself ever so slightly with the harmless flames as they made their way to move around him. His eyes left Edgar then and trailed to each face to assess the situation while Kiada began to speak. “Hello! I’m Kiada.” She began, turning her attention to the white and slate mare, who she had assumed was the newcomer the way that the last half of Elsa’s speech had gone. “It’s nice to meet you both. We’re from the Aurora Basin.” Her head shifted to Elsa then back to the newcomer, unaware of the way her presence might remind the woman of ice of a past love. Then, it’s as if she just now remembered the last few words Elsa had spoken about, of herds that could help be what the newcomer might’ve wanted. And with that in mind, she let her ivory rimmed eyes seek out the newcomer’s with a smile and a tilt of her ink dipped head. “Do you seek a herd?” She questioned softly.

"Talk."
so you can be the star? —
I'll swallow you whole.
Kiada
image | coding

It's a bit all over the place, I apologize! Welcome to Helovia! :D Would you like to be tagged?

@Malmuirie @Elsa

IT'S SAID SHE'S MADE OF STORM CELLS
AND A WILD WOLF'S HUNGRY HEART,
THAT SHE'S LEARNT THE LIGHTNING'S SECRET
TO RIPPING DARKENED SKIES APART.

Outcast
Fishie
Silence, as different here as everything else was in this forest, was still a familiarly thick creature. It dampened the sounds around her in a way that snow and needle-leafed branches did not. The very beat of her own soft hooffalls were almost gone to her own ears. The silence was so familiar, so comforting, that Malmuirie felt, and heard, herself squeak a surprised exclamation when the strangers (for that's what they were, two strangers one arriving atop the other) greeted her.

Heart racing she turned her delicate, bi-toned muzzle towards the first, and then the second, and twitched her ears back and forth. Neither seemed... hostile. Which was a good sign. Rie stepped to the side, into a slightly deeper shadow that thickened the dapples of her own gray pelt and whickered a soft apology and greeting to them. "Pardon, neighbor. But you startled me." she smiled faintly to the first, Elsa as she was introduced, then to the second, Kiada. "It's a pleasure to meet the both of you, and your friends. I am Malmuirie," she paused as though considering this for a moment before continuing with a rueful look. "Friends just call me Rie, though."

Perhaps the gods, or goddesses, or... whatever was out there, had been watching her and taken pity upon her solitude. Both had brought up the idea of a home almost immediately. Rie opened her mouth to answer them and then hesitated, taking a deep breath and closing her mouth once more. She did need a home. She needed one desperately- which terrified her. Since when had she been one to need the comfort or presence of others? This need had her unnerved, but it would not go unheeded. With a soft snort to dismiss herself Rie tried again to answer them.

"Actually, Kiada, I am looking for a home. However, friend-Elsa is correct, I don't know where I am or what things are like in these lands and I am... hesitant to commit myself to a place that I may find is ill-suited for me. I'm afraid I'd be rather useless anywhere that seeks warriors for it's ranks, for example." She gave a small, apologetic smile to the both of them. Neither struck her as particularly militant - after all, neither Else nor Kiada had greeted her with snapped precision and ranks. "I hope you understand." Whether they did or not, Rie wasn't sure she would split hairs over it. She simply wouldn't condemn herself to a life in a place she couldn't abide- not again. There had been happiness in her last home, but it had been thin and difficult to find and there was too much... tension. No, she would not live on edge forever, she couldn't. Sooner or later the tension and anxiety would set her off just as sure as the lights do and that was something she wished to avoid at all costs. Episodes were taxing, and potentially lethal. The fewer she had, the better.

@elsa || @kiada - thank you 8D and I don't mind being tagged ^-^

Elsa
I've cried, and you'd think I'd be better for it, but the sadness just sleeps, and it stays in my spine the rest of my life.

There was a soft tenderness to the mare that Elsa felt endearing. So many that had wandered in were battle hardened and cruel to the world. Even her name was like untouched innocent. Elsa tilted her head fondly as she addressed them, it wasn’t until then that Elsa had noticed the little filly come into the conversation. Elsa offered Kiada a motherly smile. Something about her was oddly familiar, but she couldn’t put her hoof on it. Something deep within her stirred, but she swallowed it down as Edgar gave both of them a small wave with his wing.

But attention was swiftly returned to Rie as she mentioned her quest for a herd. Elsa’s ears pricked forward, the only indication of the inner excitement she was feeling at the prospect of recruiting her. The Edge needed more nice ones- her personality, the way she called Elsa friend, it reminded her of the innocence her new queen held. She would be good for them all as a whole.

”I can tell you, that as of now, where I come from, we are not in desperate need of warriors. I myself am one, but much of our needs are best suited elsewhere.” She paused a moment, trying to gauge Rie’s reaction before continuing. ”I come from the World’s Edge, it’s a herd to the west, and we live on a large Cliffside, with forests and clearings alike. We are guarded by the Goddess of the Moon. Either way I would be more than happy to bring you to our herd. If you decide you don’t like it, you’re free to leave. If not, then you’ll fit in quite easily with the rest of our family.” Edgar squawked in approval, bobbing his head in awkward jerky up and down motions.

Now Elsa turned to give Kiada a slightly sassy look. She was young, almost too young to be out here alone. ”Where is your mother young one? It is quite dangerous for you to be wandering so far from your home without her.” It was an offhanded comment, but something she was curious about. How would the Basin let such a young girl slip away, especially this far away? ”If you’re okay with it, after we depart I would like to see that you make it back okay if your mother or guardian is not here.” She said calmly. Of course her kind was not welcome in such a place, but Elsa could get her close enough to safety before she would need to depart.

"talk"

image credits

@Kiada
@Malmuirie

Kiada Posts: 181
World's Edge Nurse
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 2 years - Birdsong
Khairi :: Leucistic Lammergeier :: Paralyze Skylark
You think I'll be the dark sky
The equine mare seemed kind enough, which was more than alright for the filly and her companion. He returned the gesture from Edgar as a hello with an almost reluctant wave of his own wing – having not come across any other birds similarly bonded. Yet, his raptor eyes took it as a way of learning, a new way of greeting those that didn’t speak like the equines did – and then his attention turned onto the newcomer just as his bonded’s did. Kiada made a mental note of the mare’s name; Rie, it was. Almost expectantly waiting to see if the mare indeed thought she needed a home.

Ivory rimmed ears cupped forward as her name was mentioned, and delight spread through the buckskin filly at the outcome. The mare needed a home! But there were two of them here, from separate herds, and thus the competitive streak within the tiny child begun to grow. She spoke of being useless for herds searching for warriors, and Kiada nodded. She, herself, had become more interested in healing and the gifts that nature left for them, as Tiamat had said. All Kiada did was nod for the moment, as Elsa began to speak. She speaks of the Edge which causes Kiada’s attention to linger, part of her wishing to see the lands of which her father ruled. Edgar then squawked, and Khairi let his gaze linger on the zephyr a bit longer than usual, as if he were surprised at the outburst.

But then, Elsa turned to the filly, asking her where her mother was and how dangerous the lands were. A brief moment of anger flared in the child’s chest, causing wolves to engulf the deer that pranced along her back. Her ears wavered in uncertainty of whether or not she should tell the mare that she was fine and had made the journey many times before, or if she should lie to ease the pegasus’ worries. There were a few moments of internal debate before the flames returned to deer and a smile crossed the inky face of the girl. “Oh, I’ll be alright Miss Elsa. Mother’s never far, if I run off away from her, her companion is never far.” With this, she nodded as if to ensure her words rang true. “We come here a lot, you see.” She added in perhaps for extra effort. Then, she turned to the mare – definitely not finished yet in her chances of possibly recruiting the mare. The smile stayed on her pink splattered lips as her oceanic gaze sought the mares own icy orbs. “The land I’m from is beautiful. It’s to the North and every night there’s lights that dance in the sky. There’s lots of new people there, too. Some like you, and another like you” She said softly, dipping her head over to Elsa. “I didn’t hear anything about needing warriors. Mother is a Thief and I’m learning how to heal!” Her voice was soft and almost electric with her excitement.

"Talk."
so you can be the star? —
I'll swallow you whole.
Kiada
image | coding

Rex isn't going to come, Marembo (her companion) might make an appearance to soothe Elsa's worries ;)

@Malmuirie
@Elsa

IT'S SAID SHE'S MADE OF STORM CELLS
AND A WILD WOLF'S HUNGRY HEART,
THAT SHE'S LEARNT THE LIGHTNING'S SECRET
TO RIPPING DARKENED SKIES APART.

Outcast
Fishie
She was quiet for a moment. Listening to the sounds of the forest as the silence settled into the pause between Elsa and Kiada's answers. Both were, if Rie were anyone's judge, quite eager to help her and she felt an odd twinge in her heart. The kindness- from utter strangers- hurt and warmed her at the same time. The graying mare smiled at the filly, Kiada, as the last to have spoken and stretched her arched neck towards the warm toned youth.

"My, that does sound beautiful, Kiada... but I think that would be bad for me," The hesitation could not be missed. With a soft sigh she glanced between the two, wondering if she could trust them. The world she came from, with the cut throat villains hiding behind blithe masks of comraderie would give anyone pause and so they gave Rie pause. She drew a deep breath and rolled her shoulders. "Lights, ah, hurt my eyes." She finally settled on with an apologetic smile.

It was a shame, really. She would love to see a sky that lit up with colors at night. It truly did sound like a beautiful sight. The fillies next words, however, stole her attention. Her delicate ears twitched forward and her eyes widened in surprise. Theives? Healers? She lifted her head to turn her gaze to Elsa. This kindly mare was a warrior? Just what kind of world had she wandered into?

A sudden and sharp fear drove itself deep into her and for a moment she considered declining both of these strangers- even with their potential to be friends -to get away from it. Instead, she stamped a tired mental hoof down upon the fear and chuckled dryly to herself. "Elsa, I believe I will accept your offer. If, as you say, I do not quite fit in I will take my own way but I fear it would be best for me to learn about where I am from a place of safety before I do much else."

@elsa || @kiada
sorry guys, saturday was crazy busy and yesterday I got sidetracked ^-^'

Elsa

Whatever she had said was apparently not sitting well with the young girl. Her mane had flared into an animal much more sinister. Elsa’s ears temporarily flickered backward, as she stood at the ready to intervene. But it was as if the fuse fizzled out, because she spoke of how her mother was close. Elsa was ready to challenge the girl’s statement, but she said something more interesting.

Apparently, there were equines within the Basin. What? How? As far as Elsa knew, they were keen to hybrids, but never a pure breed that lacked a horn. Her eyes widened for a moment as she spoke of her mother and what they did in the Basin. Elsa was still stuck on the statement that plain equines existed within their borders. She’d need to investigate this further once the situation at hand was taken care of.

Betwixt this all, Elsa had managed to convince Rie to visit the Edge. A bright smile adorned her face as she nodded enthusiastically to her pale friend. ”That will not be a problem, it is sort of a walk but we can get there in good time. Once we arrive, I can help you out if you have any questions. As for whether or not you fit in, the Edge will still gladly help you. Even if it’s until you can get the low down of where you’re at.” Her attention then toward their younger friend, and she nodded warmly toward the filly. ”And you, if I find out something happened to you… we might have some issues missy. Be safe, I know your mother would be worried if you did not return in one piece.” So many other connotations lingered in that sentence, but Elsa was hardly going to get into the dark past. The Basin had been the one to blind her, but it wasn’t the filly’s fault. So as long as the darkness stayed in the North, she was safe.

Turning, Elsa motioned over her shoulder for Rie to follow. Edgar gave his little goodbye wave to Kiada, before hopping excitedly on Elsa’s head as he looked at Rie. ”He likes you.” Elsa mused aloud, motioning with her eyes to the bird on her head. With the rest of the journey ahead, Elsa just hoped that she was capable of walking in silence for a while. Elsa wasn’t the best of conversationalists.

"talk"

image credits

@Malmuirie @Kiada
Fishie all you gotta do is request to go to outcast and ill make us a post in the edge. ^_^ Also sorry for the rush and probably general awkwardness of this post. I wanted to get something up before I had to tutor.