the Rift

[OPEN] Scandal

Tilney Posts: 288
World's Edge Moon Doctor atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2hh :: VI HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Peatree :: Lesser Fruit Bat :: None Neverrmind

Saying goodbye to Maude every morn was the saddest point of Tilneys days now. The patriarch was the happiest he had ever been, but sadly he could not take his daughter to the greenhouse and gardens every day and especially not outside the borders. He was quite convinced she would remain here at the edge until she was at least two years of age - before that she would only leave under supervised, specially planned visits. Any child of his would be protected at all costs, and what a better place to raise one then at the World's Edge. Apart from the threat the cliffs posed there was not much else in the way of danger. In the Basin it would be easy for any young one to freeze to death, to succumb to a fever. In the Dragons Throat one could die of exhaustion or sun stroke, and Tilney wondered how many babes had been caught in the rapids of the Hidden Falls and swept off the rocks never to be seen again? The Worlds Edge was quite ideal, provided the children were kept well away from the cliffs.  

Crime was also not much of a factor in the Edge. Tilney had remembered seeing so many fierce warrior during his time at the Throat - he could only imagine how many brawls would break out between them. Some seemed to display almost savage characteristics compared to the manners commonly observed up north. 
When it came down to it Tilney was incredibly happy; Comfortable in his own skin finally, happy with the friends he had, he had a beautiful family and he loved his herd dearly. He was yet to encounter any issues, and he had been here over a year - or was it two?

The flaxen man had left his tree for the day and headed to the greenhouse now. Anticipating he would be finished at the garden early today he left his lantern hanging on a branch outside his homely hollow. The young father had promised little Maude he would take her to watch the sunset from a point on the cliffs they called the "special spot" - he would make sure he was done at 'work' as soon as was possible! 

Art by araxel @ DA

@Raeden 
GO GO GO READEN ITS THERE FOR THE TAKING

(Please Raeden and tembovu only for now!)

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Raeden Posts: 188
World's Edge Specter atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 5 Years 3Months HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Tin :: Plain Cerndyr :: Earth Spirit Dressy

RAEDEN
but what is love without lust

She was wondering like normal through the lands of Edge. Raeden found that alot of her time was spent searching and just watching her lands. The Sleuth took pride in her role in the herd. Hopefully one day her son would take over the family trade. Her sister had been so successful and now raeden found her self rising in the ranks. Cream hooves picked their way through along side Tin. Her companion seemed to be getting into everything today . First he got stuck in a brier patch, then he wondered off for awhile. She could not help but just chuckle at the little creature.His attitude was always so odd. The pair soon found themselves wondering deeper and deeper in the edge.

An odd sight got the mare off trail. There was a little lantern hiding on a branch. Tin ran over to the glowing light jumping with joy. His antlers tried to reach the small glowing light, but he was unsuccessful. Raeden finally wondered over to the buck. What are you doing? her mind questioned her companion. Tin looked to the girl with joy as he jumped higher and higher. Me want! Raeden tilted her skull looking at the item. It looked like it belonged to someone, but there was no one around. Teal eyes narrowed looking for the owner of the lantern. Shoulders shrugged and she chuckled slightly. do you really want it? I do not see any one around they must have just left it here... Tin squealed with joy as the mare reached out to pick up the lantern. Her delicate mouth placed it in his antler. Tin overjoyed with emotions jumped up and down, and skipped happily around the rose gold mare. Teal eyes watched the buck with joy. Come on we have to go make our rounds Tin The deer nodded his skull as went jumping off in front of the mare. Raeden stopped for a moment and looked at the empty branch. Hopefully who ever left it there isn't going to miss it...
"talk talk talk"

OOC:: Raeden and Tin took the lantern and wondered away from the tree it was on.

table code by tamme

@Tinley

Time flies; Tilneys work day had come to a close soon enough, and so without much hesitation at all the ginger boy took to the well-worn trail. Coven clefts took the patriarch along a winding track, over hill and dale to get home in time to take dear Maude to the place they would view the sunset. Normally they would have the young one in bed at sundown but tonight was an exception - the young one was growing rapidly and they couldn't keep her n such a tight leash forever. Tilney was a father who remained convinced that if they kept her too close she would respond only with mischief and badness; some leniencies would be allowed.

Upon arrival to their home tree past the lake, Tilney checked for Glasgow - perhaps she might like to accompany them? With no trace of the glazier in sight, Tilney would only assume his friend was still out on herd duties of her own. The bronze lad greeted his bouncing daughter with a tight embrace and a kiss to her neck before heading into their homely tree trunk to collect his cloak for maude to lay on should she get tired of cold, and then stepped on out to retrieve his lantern for when the sun was set and he would be left blind as he was every night. 
The doctor was shocked however to find that it was not there. After multiple circles around the trunk, looking under bushes and calling out "aiya" numerous times in the hope the light it emitted from its hiding spot would be seen in the dimming light. It was all to no avail; it had vanished. 
"It's gone" The lad panted, furiously shaking his skull. It had been a long time since he had felt so much emotion of pure negativity. He was Tilney after all. Tilney; the ever smiling boy who marched with flowers, forest creatures and the sun. There would only be one explanation for this - It had been taken. By someone or something.

Tilney spoke a few commanding words to his daughter, making sure she would not leave the tree or her mother. Arah would keep an eye on her, he was sure of that.  He daren't stay and whinge to his beloved - he would take action, for the day was leaving and so was his eyesight. 
Skipping over the underbrush, Tilney made his way to the place he remembered the meeting had taken place; it was quite a central spot, so hopefully wherever their monarchs were they would not have to walk far to heed his pleas. By now all the flaxen boy could see was the orange stripes along the trees, the last gift the sun had for him. It was only a few minutes before he was completely sightless again.
"My King! My Queen!" the teary-eyed stag bellowed throughout the woods "A thief is nigh!"

Art by araxel @ DA

the day tilney lost his chill
@Tembovu and @Alysanne if you like!

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Tembovu
“My King! My Queen! A thief is nigh!”

Though the long day was nearing an end; a point at which many within the Edge begin to bed down as the Lady Moon took over from the Fiery Sun, the bellowed words did not find the Elephant King bedding or nesting. No, the gargantuan stallion was slowly picking his way along the glass riddled border. It had become somewhat of a ritual for the Elephant King. Starting with when Rexanna had promised to come live with him. And now… now it was just a time to slowly numb his mind as he patrolled the Edge’s edge in the twilight and into late evening. Eventually (hopefully) sleep would find him. But, until then, he would rather look for danger around him than succumb to the darkness that loomed in the back of his mind.

So it was with backward relief that he heard the cry that stripped away any impending thoughts of inadequate paternity. A brisk trot thundered into the earth, shaking the dusk’s calm. His massive strides made short work of the distance, bringing him to the source of the frantic call just as the last steaks of light began to fade from he brightly painted sky. “Tilney?” The panicked call had morphed the man’s voice so that the King hadn’t even recognized it, “Tilney, my friend, calm yourself. What thief?” His black brows raised in concern as his heavy skull dropped so that his navy eyes could peer evenly into the Moon Doctor’s verdant, teary gaze.

What had his usually cheerful and happy Doctor so thrown and agitated? Mbwene, having fallen behind her bonded’s brisk trot, trundled onto the scene. Her bright blue eyes immediately found Tilney’s tears, and the small matriarch trilled softly, shuffling up to the frenetic man.
Once more into the fray
credits | table by Neo

@Tilney

Please tag Tembovu.

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

Although Tilney had called for Tembovu as well, Alysanne didn’t hesitate in responding.

Well, she hesitated for a brief moment - she was aware that Tilney had been Tembovu’s preferred Moon Doctor and the two of them were likely friends. Or, that was what she assumed from the minimal experience she had in the same area as the two of them, considering how careful she was avoiding run-ins with the Elephant King in a social setting and without other witnesses.

So maybe her presence wouldn’t even be unneeded... But, no, it was her duty to respond to such calls now - and besides, she would have anyway even if she wasn't queen. The depths to which she worried over the members of the herd easily covered everyone, no matter how little she knew of them. And Tilney, with his bright demeanour and passion for healing, was someone she could easily care for.

Her concern flooded through her quickly at his call and, after that brief hesitation, she hurried toward the sound of the antlered doctor’s call - finding him where the meeting had been held. Hemlock swooped overhead, scouting the situation as she arrived, noting first that no one appeared to be injured.

Tembovu was there, speaking and asking about the thief but her gaze was on Tilney as she approached. “It’s alright, we’ll figure this out.” She added in a soothing voice as she came to stand with the two stallions, worry colouring her voice and darkening her emerald eyes. The concern was strong enough that she didn’t even throw the usual shade towards Tembovu at his proximity, she didn’t focus at all on how his presence was aggravating. There were far more important things for her to focus on - and they needed to work together now, anyway.

Glancing about, as though the thief was standing somewhere close, she bid Hemlock search the surrounding woods for anything suspicious before asking a question of her own. “What did they steal, Tilney?”

Alysanne

art by duskbeguile

@Tilney can't sleep so I might as well post!
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Elephants footfalls were the next sounds to fill the forest; they were the kind to steal the courage of anyone but a Worlds Edge herding, anyone who had not grown accustomed to the mighty sound of their king's approach. Next was the patriarchs voice like thunder, and all it did was force a sigh of relief to escape Tilneys shaken maw.
When the brute came into view Tilneys green gaze looked to meet the hushing words of his first monarch, then catching the whooshing noise Hemlock made as he swooped above. That only meant one thing - the Queen was on her way too.

Too exasperated to speak just yet, Tilney shook his cranium and turned a few circles. His verdant gaze now took to the kind Queen upon her arrival, his former colleagues soothing voice bringing him to a halt.
Was he to finally tell them why he so desperately needed the lantern? His sight was failing him almost completely by now, there was so little light left in the sky - It was becoming more and more clear; All would discover his only secret; one he had guarded since he stepped through the threshold.

'What Thief?' had been The King's question, and 'What did they steal?'  the Queen's.
Yet another long exhale escaped the flaxen physicians lips, only this one was filled with regret and sadness; It even panged with exhaustion too. Perhaps he was tired of keeping it a secret, fearing their reactions and remarks.
A blind doctor.
"I do not know who the thief is King Tembovu, but he stole my lantern!" The man paused and turned his back to the two monarchs, not wanting to catch a single glimpse of their reaction as he continued. Guilt was consuming the happy man, and for once he was turning blue with sadness. "It is not just an accessory; without it I am blind and sightless in dim light and dark places. For... For example, My Lady Alysanne; I cannot see you - Only your silhouette. When the sun faithfully sinks below the horizon I will be left as blind as if I was born with my eyelids sealed shut!"

"I understand if you would have me punished My King and Queen - I was wrong to deceive you. A blind doctor, how foolish I was to think I could work in my state... or amount to anything.
But please, all I ask is that my lantern is returned, for I am truly vespertine. Without it I fear I would have little left if not to see the sunset and stars."

Art by araxel @ DA

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Tembovu
The King’s navy eyes swung as the black and white beauty appeared shortly on his heels, the new Queen quick to acquiesce to her subject’s distressed call. His black rim ears perk forward, catching her soothing voice; as a healer, her questions and tone were much more calming and comforting than the King’s. His head cocked slightly, again the Devoted was confirming her suitability as not only a counterpart to him, but as a monarch in her own right.

Though his attention did not linger long on her, heavy head swinging back to the panicked Moon Doctor. Dark cobalt eyes watched him closely— what could a thief steal that would cause such fear and dread in Tilney? At the answer (his lantern?) the King’s gaze riveted to sweep those elegant, mahogany tines. And, indeed, the Doctor’s signature beacon was absent from his antlers.

And then a tirade of confession reveals the Moon Doctor’s flaw: night blindness. The King’s brows raise; such abnormalities were mostly bred out of Dorobians by the harshness of the plains. Thus, the man was unused to dealing with such a situation.

Though a snort pushed past his nostrils at the suggestion of punishing the Doctor. “I’ll not punish you for something beyond your control, Tilney. I would ask that you not deceive me— us—” his gaze glanced to Alysanne as he corrected his singular pronoun, “In the future.” He paused, looking to his Queen to wait if she had anything more to say.

And then he continued, “I will talk to our Specters, I think their skills would be best for finding your thief,” his hooves moved forward, trying to bring him alongside the man and find his gaze, muzzle reaching out to try and gently touch his shoulder, “We will find your lantern— or a lantern— for you, my friend.”
Once more into the fray
credits | table by Neo

@Alysanne

Please tag Tembovu.

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

Tilney’s confession was surprising - it was easy to assume that the lantern had just been a decoration, a keepsake, or something to help light the way at night… not something that he relied on. He turned from them as he spoke, as though hiding his shame, and Alysanne’s heart reached out to him. That he would be so afraid of what they would think of him!

Tembovu spoke first, giving a response that Aly would expect from him and she nodded slightly, glad that he had corrected his pronoun use. And then in the pause he left, she was quick to step in. “It’s okay, Tilney. You are a skilled healer and gardener, my opinion of you has not changed. You found a way for your eyes to work in the night and I applaud you for your innovation.” She was glad that he told them, glad that they knew and could take steps to help him if he should not find his lantern again. But if someone had taken it in the Edge… realistically Alysanne knew that the border patrols would not be able to stop everything should someone come slinking in. Not even the great glass wall would have stopped a pegasus from swooping in during the night. So it was either a stranger who had snuck in or a member of their herd.

Both were very unnerving thoughts, and certainly added even more desire to find the lantern and see it returned.

As Tembovu moved forward, so did she - standing on Tilney’s other side. She was not so familiar with him to add a touch as the king did, but she offered a smile with her soft green eyes. “We’ll start the search tonight, I promise. Hemlock’s owl eyes may be small but they are keen in the night, he’ll start combing the area.” With that, the small owl took off and began combing the woods nearby, looking for any sign of the lantern or any sign of who might have taken it.

Alysanne

art by duskbeguile

@Tilney it's late but didn't want to miss the chance for him finding his lantern IC if that was the plan :)
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries