the Rift

[OPEN] Dear Summer,

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers
Roskuld & Zchiraxicon
Where there's no Law tying my heart from the start..

We had left at sunrise before—and now, here we were again, when the sun was settin’ low and the sky above was settling in an easy orange, magenta, and there was a breeze to cut the heat a little. Let us breathe. Give us a moment to think.

It felt weird to be standing there outside the sparkling glass wreckage that bordered the World’s Edge. It felt…just, weird to stand there smelling the salt and feeling the thickness of the ocean in the air, and having the tension in our bellies eased by it, the deep, awful squirming sensation that had been fucking with Chico ‘n me for the past season ever since we had bolted from Lee’s grasp, Tembovu’s invitation. We made that choice in that moment. And it turns out we figure we had chosen wrong.

Chico was fucked up about it, too. He didn’t want to want to be here any more than I did, but I can see behind his eyes was a yearning he hated to have, and itch to see the bright-eyed elephant honey that was on his mind more than he’d admit outright. But there was a more to that feeling and I felt it too and I dunno man, neither of us knew how to describe it, but being all by ourselves out there again—like we were used to, the only way either of us knew how to live—felt small, and empty. It wasn’t right anymore. I wasn’t sure why.

We talked it over too, whenever the feeling got too itching for us to ignore. We talked about it even when we weren’t using words, dreaming about it together, sharing our dreams in ways we didn’t talk about but we both knew in the backs of our minds. We made another decision.

Chico sat on my back, heavy and white-maned with his great leather wings draped over both of us. He was subdued in a way I haven’t really seen before, still wrestling with himself even after the decision was made, even now that we were standing outside the goddamned walls for crying out loud. He couldn’t help it. He was born into freedom and that’s not a thing you can just throw away so easy.

But were we really throwing it away though? That was a thought I had, often. There were more and they were deeper and more introspective n’ shit but I’m not ready to throw all of that out into the world yet, so. Just know I was standing in front of the broken, shattered, gorgeous gates and  I bellowed from the bottom of my chest, TEMBOVU,” and I stood and waited as the breeze blew a little more surely, as the sky eased into a liquid violet that just started thinking about stars. 

image credits

@Tembovu only please!

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Tembovu & Mbwene
“TEMBOVU.” The call was bellowed, carrying with surprising ease through the misted, evergreen forests. It bounced between thick, gnarled trunks; against which Tembovu was leaning, his massive haunches and thick, scarred hide pressing into the rough and uneven surface. He felt the slightly sharp pull of sap against a few parts of his coat, but he paid it no mind. His attention, which moments before had been drifting in the drowse of his afternoon naps that had become more habit than recreation because of his insomnia, snapped to the present. Though his navy eyes still blinked sluggishly, blessedly free of guilt, strain, and shadows as sleep still clung to them.

But then recognition dawned just as lines retuned to crease the thin, black skin around his eyes. Ros. The stocky, pert mare had a voice unique to her—there was no mistaking it. The Elephant King had been sad to see her go after Frostfall. There had been some part of him that had wanted, needed, her to stay. He had thought they were friends… and, for some inexplicable and illogical reason, her abandonment leaving had erased that premise from his mind. If she had found friendship with him, then she would have remained in the Edge. Wouldn't she?

That, at the time, had been the King’s logic. So it was not so much a grudge, but a solemn and festering disregard and snub that blemished his memory of his electrified friend. Mbwene, partly swayed by her bonded’s feeling and due to both being left by Chico and shocked by him, shared in Tembovu’s apprehensive glance towards the source of the call. Did the woman want respite from the Tallsun’s heat, now? To both Elephants (small and large), it seemed that that was all the Edge provided her: shelter from the elements.

So he sighed, slowly lumbering out of his doze towards the Edge’s still glass-littered borders. His eyes glanced first to the sparkling shards on the ground, annoyance flaring (soon they would be replaced with spikes), before he turned his heavy navy gaze on the black-puzzle-piece marked woman. “Roskuld,” his greeting was quiet and low in his deep rumble. Mbwene, likewise, gave a quiet, brassy toot to the maned and winged Chico.

Though, neither King nor companion could entirely tamp down the surprising wave of excited relief at again seeing the pair they had grown affectionate towards. Mbwene showed it with a outstretched wave of her long trunk (she had grown into it since Chico had left). The corners of the Elephant King’s muzzle (more heavily lined since Ros’s departure), turned upwards, “What brings you back to the Edge?” Black rimmed ears tip forward as he glanced at her split, jagged horn and at the long forelock that framed the dark markings on her white face, before returning to look in her voltaic eyes, awaiting an answer. He kept a distance between them, though as time wore on he felt the acute need to close it and embrace the mare.

@Roskuld woah I didn't know how salty he was :O

Please tag Tembovu.

Roskuld & Zchiraxicon

I didn’t realize I was supposed to feel guilty about something. No one told me I was supposed to feel guilt. I saw that big ol’ lump of a stud coming and I could feel a smile warming my lips and no one told me how I had left this place a little more shattered than how I’d found it. No one told me. Goddammit I would’ve felt guilty about it if I had had the chance.

But nah, that’s not what I was feeling as I saw Tembovu roll up on us, Mbwene in tow with his huge step. There was a pull from Chico as he saw his lil’ shortstack (who wasn’t so much of a shortcake no more, huh) and with a single, powerful (painful, ow jeez) flap of his heavy wings he bounded off my back, making a bee-line straight for the elephant, cuz that’s all he knows how to do: react. And he was reacting to the happy that he felt in his breast and how it was exploding out of him before he even had a shot at containing it—

—and then he slowed down, confused at himself for the reaction—and then he stopped in the grass in front of her, plopping down in front of her outstretched trunk, not quite knowing what to do with all that happy he was fumbling around with, offering it to her instead, letting her make the first move, cuz how the hell was he supposed to know if she wanted to deal with that shit?

(Quit explain me.)

(I do what I waaaaant.)

The pull of a smile trying to work the corners of my mouth wasn’t quite strong enough to thaw the ice of apprehension that set my lips, listening to lowness of Tembovu’s voice as he greeted me, watching the lines of his face move with his mouth. I had had enough sleepless nights to see it plastered on someone’s face like that. I guess sleep hated everyone, huh.

What’s up, man? a piece of me wanted to ask, because that’s how my heart handled the sight of his weariness. “Tembovu,” I is what I actually said, and it wasn’t quite a greeting, more of a—of a sigh or some shit, like I was relieved. Like, I dunno man. I don’t know what I’d be relieved about, but I was definitely feeling the shit. Like I was worried the crown had changed places again—or something.

What brings you back to the Edge?

I swallowed; Chico growled low in his throat, stones grinding deep in his chest. “We never should of left,” I said, and on my tongue was a hoarse something I ain’t ready to explain yet. Whatever doubts we had—we still had—were quelled by this feeling rising in both of us, at seeing the Edge King.

“We…Me ‘n Cheek…” I started—and I was already fumbling words ‘n shit cuz I’m awful at spewing a feeling this complex out my mouth like this, “Well...See, I ain’t been in a herd since I was a child, and Chico…he ain’t even been in one before, so, like—I dunno man, we don’t know what we’re doing with this, where it’s gonna go or…or…” It tumbled out of me too fast to make sense, and I stopped myself and sighed, forcing the block in my throat to dissolve, to twist my tongue straight again, “We just know,” I said, with a little more force (a little more hoarse), “that we shouldn’t of left.”

I bit my lip; I didn’t know how this kind of shit was supposed to go down. What was I supposed to say? How was I supposed to make this sincere? Chico continued to look at Mbwene with is liquid gold eyes, sparkling with all kinds of Take me back, sorry baby, while I reached for Sparkmarrow with my maw.

He reacted instantly to my touch; I drew his length and there was a zzpk-POW that split the air as the eight blades snapped into place, banded together by and faintest trace of shocking blue arcs. I watched Tembovu the whole time—scared for a second that he might think I was gonna go for a fight—and I reached forward and thrust Sparkmarrow’s blade into the grass between us. I took a step back from the buzz of the sword in the earth, still watching Tembovu with that hoarse thing still in my eyes.

Offering my sword to the King. I’ll have you if you’ll have me. It was the only way I could lay my myself out like that, without stuttering it to shreds.

I didn’t think about it too hard, either—whether or not he would accept me like this, whether or not he would even reply, whether or not the shock of Sparkmarrow’s magic would kill some trees or whatever (oops). I sat still and Chico sat still and we both just waited to see how the both of us would be received.

image credits

I HOPE @Tembovu FORGIVES HER FOR STABBING HIS LAWN D:

Tembovu & Mbwene
Chico’s greeting is exuberant—which, truthfully, is what had drawn the attention of the detached matriarch elephant in the first place (in addition to his plush, soft fur). And Mbwene, for all her cantankerous apprehension towards the animated rougarou, could not help the warning flap of her large ears; but it was half-hearted. And disappointed surprise flashed through her bright blue eyes as he started to slow his rapid approach; plopping down before her, just outside of her trunk’s reach.

Her ears snapped back once against her miniature skull in irritation, eyes narrowing in her wrinkled gray face. A soft, indignant trumpet issues from her trunk even as it rose and stretched out before her. She leaned towards him, fisting her appendage in his pale mane and yanking (perhaps slightly harder than necessary) the unruly manticore towards her. A soft string of annoyed and chiding chortles sounded from her throat as she pushed her soft, wrinkled face into his mane.

No leave.

The King’s head shot up, ears and attention swinging toward Mbwene and the entrapped Chico. His eyes were wide, his brow raised, “I just heard her,” his surprise pushed the words, unbidden, from his dark muzzle, “Mbwene. She just spoke.” His deep rumble was nonplussed; he hadn’t realized that Mbwene would actually speak to him. He had assumed that was for the companions who were irregular, magical breeds. Not Mbwene, his little elephant.

A grin crossed his face, shaking his head slightly as he turned his attention back to Roskuld and her words. ”We never should have left.” And his grin faded slightly, listening solemnly to her fumbling words (it seemed, to the Elephant, that she always started with fumbling; but somehow, someway, ended up saying exactly what she meant). Though, despite his solemn face, his navy eyes had begun to warm and dance as she rushed through words and sighs.

But his eyes did widen slightly as Ros reached for a blade—did he knew she had that? His heavy skull jerked back slightly at the electrified sound the blades made as they snapped together. But, his eyes remained unblinkingly on the woman’s face, even as she sank the impressive blade into the ground before him.

“No, Ros, you should’ve have left,” was his simple, rumbling reply—emphasized by a small squeak from Mbwene. And he stepped around the earth-plunged sword, long columns of thick legs making quick work of the distance between the one massive and one stocky unicorns. His thick, muscular neck reached out, aiming to be thrown over her gleaming, blue-black withers, “But I am glad you are back.”

“That’s an impressive blade,” his quietly admiring remark would be spoken into her cropped, streaked mane.

@Roskuld

Please tag Tembovu.

Roskuld & Zchiraxicon

I didn’t really catch the jolt of happy from Cheek as his ‘Bwenny latched onto his mane and pulled him close, as he settled into her embrace with a rumbling, growling purr deep in his chest. I was caught off-guard by Tembovu’s wide eyes and the wonder that spilled from his mouth as his companion spoke to him--for the first time? And it was such a human moment that I wasn’t prepared for--something so honest and unscripted from something that was supposed to be so serious--it broke the small grin out of me that had wanted to form all this time, and a nervous sort of chuckle, too. “Yeah, they do that,” I told him, remembering how I had felt when Chico started talking to me. “And they don’t stop, either.”

It wasn’t a long moment to wait for his verdict--but it still left my insides wiggling uncomfortably, wondering and wishing and hoping and waiting for the blow if it was coming. But it looked like he had decided a thing before I had even come, because the way he walked around Sparkmarrow and collected me into his embrace like that was too easy to have been a scruple in his mind.

I tensed for a second--I couldn’t help it--how often do I let someone touch me like that? The only people to hug me--hold me--like that for the past year or so had been either Jiji or Lee, and those were two chapters of tragedy all by themselves. I barely knew Tembovu enough for that kind of a heartbreak, but nah, too late, he was holding me and I eased into it and a bewildered little laugh escaped out of me, my head swimming slightly at the fact that he didn’t want the sword I offered him. He had wanted me. And it had always been like that. And he was glad that I had returned.

And I wasn’t sure what I was feeling in that moment.

My brain caught up, though, when he mentioned Sparkmarrow. “Heh, yeah,” I mumbled, my words caught in the thickness of his neck, the cut of his chest.It was hard to focus, cuz the bastard was huge and I’d never been wrapped in an embrace like this before. It was nothing like Lee’s gentle, brittle hesitation; Tembovu was firm and hot, like that towering, flaming elephant he could burst from his body. “My, uh…Pa gave it to me,” I said, and I found myself belatedly wondering what that sort of thing would mean to him--if it would mean anything at all.

image credits

I HOPE @Tembovu FORGIVES HER FOR STABBING HIS LAWN D:

Tembovu & Mbwene
Mbwene’s satisfied chortles paused for a moment as Chico’s growling purr rumbled from his chest—and then she loosened her trunk from its fist in his mane, moving it towards his chest to feel the rumbling sound that issued from his breast. Her sensitive trunk pressed firmly there, at first, before lightening and gently tracing the angular, white marking on his shoulder. A questioning whistle left her long snout, bright blue gaze swinging from the marking she traced to Chico’s liquid gold eyes. And, for a moment, a flash of irritation at their lack of ability communicate speared Tembovu’s mind through their bond.

A black rimmed ear swiveled towards the closely twined companions, “Yeah, they do that. And they don’t stop, either.” A deep, low chuckle rumbled from his great chest at her words, “They don't stop?” He paused, “Perhaps Chico has more to say than Mbwene.” His comment was offhand and easily said—an observation of the exuberant and ever-active Rougarou’s antics.

Yes.

Mbwene’s distracted mind-thought sounded in his mind, causing his other ear to flick towards the small elephant. A lopsided grin grew across his muzzle, just as Ros relaxed into his embrace. He hadn’t missed the tension that lined her smaller, stouter body—but he was not small part relieved at the little laugh that escaped as he squeezed her.

Her dark lips tickled his chest as she replied to his remark about her blade— “Your ’Pa’?” the Elephant echoed the emphasis she placed on the word, curiosity flashing across his black-masked face as he slowly loosened the mare from his hold and took a half-step back. His head lifted, neck disentangling from hers as it swung to look at the quietly crackling weapon plunged into the Edge’s rich soil.

A lopsided grin replaced his curious expression, navy gaze swinging back to her bright blue pupils, “Did your pa teach you to wield it?” His massive, heavy body slowly began to shift, legs placing him alongside the sparking blade. His shoulders squared, broad chest swelling as his heavy, thick horn motioned from the blade’s handle to his electric friend.

His implication was clear: he wanted the Sparklight to show him she knew how to use the blade.

@Roskuld I figured they could right into a spar? I can start it, or you can take the first attack! Just let me know :D

Please tag Tembovu.

Roskuld & Zchiraxicon

Your Pa? he repeated, and I found myself holding my breath for a second. I didn’t know why, don’t ask, but there was just always this...this thing about people knowing who I was. About who my Pa was, about what ran through my blood. I dunno man, I didn’t want them to look at me like I was something special; like I was a big deal or some shit. If someone’s eye was gonna fall on me, I wanted to earn was was in it.

He backed up off of me, turning the tide of the conversation away from the focus of Pa. I didn’t realize how relieved I’d be by that, that I could keep that bit a secret from him just a little bit longer. Was that wrong of me? Didn’t he deserve to know who he was housing in his herd? But then, like, what would it matter anyway if he knew who I was. What would it change? And I guess what scared me is that it might change something anyway, I dunno, I didn’t specialize with the future. That was Pa’s job.

My job was to shoot lightning ‘n shit at people and wield the sword he had lost to a glacier, and right now, that’s what Tembovu was asking about. Did your pa teach you to wield it? I cocked my brow, shrugging my shoulders just a bit. “Nah, life did that for me,” I said wryly, “But it’s...been a while since the last catastrophe, so. I’m a little out of practice.” It was true; the Rifts were closed, those gods were dead, and I didn’t have the heart to try this thing out on real mortal flesh. It didn’t seem right. Like, overkill or whatever.

Which is why it shocked me when I saw Tembovu square up and his intention couldn’t have been clearer. My reaction was immediate; my blood surged hotly, every nerve ready for the fightand the throwing of hooves ‘n shit and everything that came with it. But I hesitated still, because I had the feeling he wanted me to use Sparkmarrow, too. I reached forward, grasping, the hilti in the groove in-between my teeth, pulling it easily from the earth. I gave him a look. “Y’shure ‘bout thish?” I asked from around the sword lodged in my mouth.

image credits

@Tembovu SPAR ME :D