the Rift

[PRIVATE] between the lines

Iona Posts: 100
World's Edge Specter atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 11 (birdsong) HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Iver :: Osprey :: None Kiki

TAKE THESE BROKEN WINGS AND LEARN TO FLY

The painted spy had pressed the concern about her sister to the back of her mind in the wake of the meeting.  She’d been so damn proud at how Alysanne had risen to the occasion and not shrunk one inch under undue criticism. Her sister’s strength had told Iona all she’d needed to know.  Her quiet sister - once meek, once too trusting - had matured into a figure she was powerful to stand both beside and behind.  Though Alysanne doubted her own strength, she wore it plainly, and Iona could hardly contain her pride.  From the moment she had stepped up to claim her place as Queen, Iona felt the pride swell in her chest to a point where she was afraid her ribs would falter under the pressure.

She’d wanted to stay and say something to Alysanne right at that moment. But it was obvious that it wasn’t the time and so Iona had gone - fading away into the shadows and leaving her sister to the spotlight.  She knew that she’d find time to pick Alysanne’s brain soon enough.  She was more worried that her sister had taken some of the barbs to heart and was dutifully ignoring her wounds.  Iona had a mind to make sure that none of the hateful words that had been spoken had wounded her sister, and that none of those wounds had been festering over time.  The Edge would be hard pressed to find one more devoted to this place for as long as Aly had been. Isn’t that what they were calling her now? The Devoted? Now that was a name that her sister could surely live up to. 

Iona never had a difficult time locating her sister. For one thing, even in the thickest of mists her sister’s white coat stood out.  But the heat of Tallsun kept the mists from reaching their fullest potential anyway.  And of course there was also that mythical twin sense that those without a twin simply couldn’t fathom.  It wasn’t a sort of radar or mind reading, but the two sisters had certainly developed some sort of intuition early on and strengthened it over time.  She picked her way between the trees carefully and landed in the meadow where she’d seen her sister. 

When she caught sight of her lighter twin, Iona mocked up a thoroughly halfhearted bow by extending one of her large black wings and tucking her nose to her shoulder.  The play at decorum only lasted a heartbeat for the painted spy was wearing a smirk when she looked back to her sister.  “Don’t get used to it,” she said with a toss of her thoroughly wind-tossed mane, “That was a one time thing and I’ll deny it if anyone asks.”

She eventually drew to a halt and rested a hind leg as she looked at her sister in silent appraisal, as if searching for the physical evidence of the wounds inflected by the words flung so carelessly at the meeting.  Eventually, her gaze is drawn to her sister’s warm emerald eyes and Iona is sure that she can see the questions in her own matching pair.

“So…?” she said, simply.  Iona, always the wordsmith. But there was an inherent question in such simple syllables. Normally, Iona wouldn’t even follow up with a further statement, but this was Alysanne after all.  “How are you holding up?”

A L Y S A N N E (the queen)  &  I O N A (the spy)
image credit

@Alysanne

Please tag IONA in all posts.
Force and magic permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
image credit 

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
"I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU THROUGH IT ALL,
EVEN IF SAVING YOU SENDS ME TO HEAVEN."

Becoming queen had certainly been a surreal experience, right from the beginning. Between that chaotic herd meeting, followed by a smaller gathering with Tembovu and Mauja that was actually peaceful, finding Elsa and Nyx and everyone else that she wanted to speak with in the wake of the meeting - Alysanne had been kept busy. She had even heard rumours that she had earned a sort of nickname in the process - the Devoted.

It could be worse, she supposed.

But still, altogether it had been a very strange time and it was with no shortage of relief that she recognized her sister’s dark form approaching.

Alysanne’s greeting to her sister caught in her throat uncomfortably at the sight of her sister stretching out one of her wings and bending into a bow. But the discomfort only lasted as long as the mock bow did and a bright laugh escaped from her at the sight of Iona’s smirk and her teasing words. “Well in that case, I’ll cherish the memory always. At least I have Hemlock for a witness.” The tiny owl hooted in agreement, darting down from his place on a branch nearby swooping low over Iona in his personal greeting - grasping lightly at the strands of her dark mane before letting them fall back out of his loose grip. He wheeled above the twin sisters before returning to his roost, settling down comfortably. Iona had immediately been accepted into the circle of acceptable acquaintances for Alysanne to associate herself with - fond stories and memories of the other mare having been present between them even before he had met the darker twin.

Alysanne waited for her it as Iona came to a stop - knowing that a question was coming. The mirth in her green eyes faded away when it came, a frown forming as she gave her sister’s question the thought it deserved. “Honestly? I don’t even know.” She answered first, the words just a whisper before she straightened up - trying to sort out the thoughts in her mind. Because she knew that letting them fester there would be more problematic than talking them out with someone she loved and trusted.

“Better - I think - about what we talked about last time…” Alysanne no longer felt like she was fracturing. But she had not exactly had much time to pause and think about that lately - she couldn’t even remember the last time she was angry. It had probably been while they were at the meeting, right before bombs had started to drop about promotions and everything else that followed. “I got a lecture awfully similar to the one you gave me from a couple of my close friends… so I guess you’re not quite as crazy as I thought.” Her teasing smile was half-hearted, but it showed up all the same as she looked to her twin before the expression faded.

“I just… this is huge. And it feels… right?” She watched Iona for her reaction to that statement, wondering if that made her sound ridiculous or conceited but it did feel right sometimes, when the doubts weren’t clouding her mind too much. From this position she could help the Edge the most, she was Tembovu’s partner and that meant she had the power to add input wherever she could and, hopefully, stop some of his shenanigans before they started. “Do you think I can do this? Be queen?” As strong as their bond was, Alysanne believed Iona would tell her the truth - no matter whether it hurt or not.

A L Y S A N N E the devoted queen  
and
I O N A the specter
image credit

@Iona <33
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries