the Rift

[PRIVATE] [Moon] My empty arms were open

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan

Without conscious thought, her feet carried her south towards the smoldering islands. Her head was a mess, thoughts and feelings jumbled up and pulled into tight knots that made her shoulders stiff and sore from tension. Over and over again the exchange with her father replayed across her minds eye, and though she tried it was so hard to let go of all the pent up anger and loneliness she had carried these past seasons.

Erthë didn't want to go home. She might bump into him if she did, and the last thing she needed right now was another emotional roller-coaster like the one she'd had in the Grove. Nor did she want to talk about it with Alune or Tembu, not just yet - her heart was rubbed raw and had yet to scab over. Still sore, still tender.
What she sought was peace, and calm, and distractions. Some place where she could find comfort and reassurance without having to justify her own actions - at least not yet - and hopefully, maybe, be of some use for once.

Perhaps the Goddess wouldn't agree with Erthë's line of thought, but there was something very calming about the solitary landscape out here, and the silhouette of the shrines as they came steadily closer. They seemed to her as something eternal, like the stars and the ocean and the changing seasons. A fixture around which the world could spin, a firm rock on the turbulent waters of time and life. When she halted before the shrine dedicated to the Goddess Erthë reached out and brushed a soft nose over the dark rock, trailing her gaze over the shadowed runes. Not for the first time she wondered what they said, what kind of message they had once conveyed to those who found their way here.

"Would you tell me if I asked?" she wondered aloud, her voice quiet and meant for the nightly winds alone. "I wish you would. There is so much I would like to know, my Lady, so many things I would like to do. But I'm too young, they say, and they look at my legs and my small body and they see only what I can't do. Maybe they're right, maybe I am weak... but I wish they would give me a chance to at least figure out what I'm capable of!"

Perhaps they would too, once she got older. But Erthë didn't want to wait for time to run past her, she had no interest in sitting around and let others hand her tasks. It was just... she didn't know what she could do, what she should do, to be of use to everyone. To the herd, to her father, to herself. And most of all, to the Goddess. Her admiration towards the ruler of night and wind had taken root in the girls heart from the moment Erthë first laid eyes on her, and it was deepening in intensity with each time their paths crossed.

Pressing her forehead tightly towards the rough surface she closed her eyes tightly, focusing on the warmth that still radiated from the shrine after basking in the heat of the sun. The night was still around her, the rush of waves against jagged rock and the sizzling groan of churning lava weaving a quiet melody that slowly, gradually eased her racing heart into something that resembled calm.

ERTHË
I’m a princess cut from marble, smoother than a storm
Image Credits

@Mythical Request

Using my VotG pass! I just want Erthë to go on a quest, and maybe get to know Moony on a more personal level. :) I'm not looking for any rewards other than character development and a good adventure!

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

God of the Moon Posts: 236
Helovian Ancient
Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.2hh :: Ageless
Admin

"They don't say anything of interest. I promise you that."

A gentle wind tangled through the curls of Erthe's mane, pulling them backwards with an intentional softness. The air temperature seemed to drop, though given the filly's already near-freezing body temperature, that likely wouldn't bother her at all. Despite the fact that TallSun was nearly over, there were still days when the sun was annoyingly warm over head. The Goddess appeared through a star-sparkled curtain in the air; seemingly appearing through a mist of glitter. Her lilac coat glistened gently as her pale eyes regarded the filly with a delicate smile.

The Goddess moved with a feline grace towards the girl, standing by her side with a maternal smile planted upon her features. "Tell me little one, why do you think you need their approval?  What is it you think you will accomplish with age, if you keep yourself locked up inside of the Edge. How will you win their approval, not that you need it, if you merely wait?" Again that smile played upon her perfect lips. She sighed, shaking her head slightly and causing bits of star-sparkle to fall around her hooves.

She was not surprised that all Erthe had been told within the Edge was to wait, or that she was not ready. Not ready? Wasn't her body broken because she had dared to face down gods? A stupid decision it may have been, but there were none in the Edge free of their own stupid-laden baggage.

Chan

The wind was unexpected, as was the soft voice that reached her from across untold distances. Goosebumps coursed across her skin and she shuddered, unable to suppress the ripple of dread and delight that surged through her. It was a gentle wind, so akin to her mothers kisses that Erthë had to swallow a sudden lump in her throat. She wanted to lean into that touch, savor it and forget everything else...

But she didn't. Opening her eyes the filly slowly raised her head, disbelieving eyes coming to rest on the goddess as she slipped through the veil between worlds, as easily as if it were mere grass or silken curtains. The lump remained in her throat, accompanied now by a whirlwind of fluttering wings somewhere in her guts, a giddy, nervous excitement that made her lips tremble as she smiled at the divine lady. She had come! Erthë had spoken to her and She had listened, as though her worries and concerns were actually important, not just the moody outbursts of a teenage girl.

The lavender empress of the night came to stand beside her. The feeling of her presence, the very idea of having the celestial being so close nearly muted the young hybrid. She opened her mouth to answer, but it was some time before words actually left her tongue - and when they finally did, her voice was quiet, barely a whisper that quivered precariously.

Was it fear, awe, uncertainty? Erthë wasn't sure herself. Perhaps it was a bit of everything.

"Well, I... I want to make them proud. Dad, and Tembovu and Alune and everyone in the herd." And you. I want to make you proud of me too. "It matters what they think, because I love them. I want to make them happy, make it so they don't get hurt or sad... I just don't know how."

Erthë raised her eyes to try and meet the gleaming gaze of the Lady. Again she felt her insides squirm, but this time it was a different kind of emotion that caused it. Something like affection and gratitude for being there, but deeper and more pronounced.

Yes. Of course. She loved the Goddess too.

"Is there anything I can do for you?" Erthë asked, the hope so strong it felt as though her heart would burst from it. "Do you need anything done, something you don't have time for? I'll do whatever you like!"

ERTHË
Image Credits

Helovian Ancient
Admin

The Goddess listened. The delicate lines of her dished face appeared as calm and serene as ever they had. Even the pale glimmer of her gaze was like water splashed by moonlight, rather than the furious tide that it so often was. Though inside, her mind was working just as efficiently as always. Had she misjudged the pale youth before her? She had thought Erthe to possess a soul that didn't require the coddling of others. Why else would she have joined in a fight that she had no right to be in? The Goddess had thought it because the girl had some naive notion of responsibility or pride perhaps, but had she been wrong? Had the girl only fought because she wanted to make those around her happy? To make them proud of her? Youth often did have their minds wrapped up in notions of what they did or didn't owe those around them, and so she didn't judge Erthe for that.

And yet...

"You will never be able to do that, young one. Even if you devoted your life to the cause of keeping those you love happy and free of pain, you would fail time and time again. If you truly care about those you keep deep within your heart, do not strive to keep their lives free of pain. Do not focus your life on their happiness, for in doing so, you would likely cause them more pain and turmoil. Would it please you to know that Tembovu had given up his crown just to ensure your safety? Likely not. " The lilac deity smiled kindly at the girl, knowing that realistically only life and time could teach her the lessons the Goddess was trying to impart upon her.

A smile tugged at her lavender lips as the child asked if there was anything that she needed. It was endearing that the girl thought that there were things of which she was capable that the Goddess was not, and it made her smile widen.

"The only thing I need from you is to know that your life is not being wasted by tethering yourself to a cause you can't hope to champion, nor one you should even wish to champion. If I give you that task, is it still one you would wish to attempt?"

Chan

The goddess wasn't wrong. Erthë had been stronger as a weaning foal than she was now, propelled forward by eager selflessness and a complete lack of fear of consequences. She had been braver before she learned what death was, more daring and confident when her legs still obeyed her and her nights were free or nightmares and throbbing pain. That she, in her stupid decision to get involved in a fight without the strength and skill that was required, might be the ultimate cause of her mothers death had sown seeds of doubt within her. Creeping vines of guilt and grief that, like ivy which slowly smothers an impregnable fortress, undermined the confidence that founded her entire existence.

Erthë wasn't wholly conscious of this. She was so good at keeping up the facade of spunk and exuberance that she even fooled herself, not noticing that she was turning into a bubble of glass, perfect on the outside but hollow inside, fragile enough that a careless tap might make her shatter. Insecurity thrived in that empty void, enough so that seeing her wayward father look at another child made her question their whole relationship, from her love for him to the very purpose of her own existence.

It wasn't very pretty; she wasn't perfect, and had never tried to be. Just like her soul the small body held scars, souvenirs from bad decisions and the price she had payed for stubbornness. Even now toxic substances pulsed through her veins, consumed in excess to cope with pain she believed she would have to endure for the rest of her life. Maybe it dulled the ache of longing for a mother that would never come back too, perhaps it had become a crutch against which to lean - a reason not to try harder, a shackle placed on herself by herself, much more than by others. Perhaps it was to hide this that she had begun to put so much stock on what others thought of her, what they saw and felt when they looked at her.

It wasn't even something she had actively decided to care about - it just happened gradually on its own, while she was busy hiding from herself.

No, Erthë was not actively aware of all this, but as she listened to the Lady and felt her own determination falter from the truth in Her words the girl became aware that she had indeed lost something more than a parent that horrible day on the Flats. She didn't recognize her own reaction, the dejection and confusion upon hearing that she ought to live for herself, for her own sake and not for others. The immediate reaction was to protest, to shake her head and reject it all - what meaning can there possibly be if I'm the only one who see what I become - but she didn't dare.

Instead she lowered her gaze and shook her head, obediently agreeing with the example; "No, I wouldn't like that."  

The Goddess smiled again, so kind and gentle as Erthë had never seen her before. Was this the same divine creature that had flung mouthy mortals aside as though they were mere flies buzzing around her exquisite ears? Had she truly battled another god on a field drenched in blood and sweat, chewed out kings for not being where they should and wreaked havoc across Helovia on countless occasions? In the midst of her inner conflict Erthë couldn't help but marvel at this new side of her. How many facets did this woman have? How many colors did she hide within her shadowy folds, unseen by mortal eyes who only perceived what was right in front of their noses.  She felt privileged to be allowed to witness this side of her, and as this emotion solidified within Erthë's spirits rose again, enough so that she wasn't crushed when the Moon God gently rejected her offer.

Looking up at the regal doe as she continued to speak however, the young cygnet pricked her ears at a turn of words that tasted almost like a clue, a hidden challenge. Was she imagining it?

"I would! I do! Does... does that mean there is something I can do?" she asked, the whole of her body coming alive at the thought of having a mission.

It was a difficult thing to grasp indeed that it was her attitude and reasoning that Lady Moon was talking about. Not the things she did in life, but why she did them. It was a nuance, but an important one, and while Erthë was by no means stupid she was so wrapped up in the idea of acting that she couldn't fully take in the true meaning of what was being said. Later she might recall the wisdom of the message and be able to understand... but for now her mind was swimming with the idea of adventures and challenges and maybe even a bit of glory, and the look on her face as she gazed up at the goddess was imploring.

Surely there had to be something she could do, that would help others and help her understand the true meaning of this lesson.

ERTHË
Image Credits

Helovian Ancient
Admin

Despite the fact that mind reading was typically an ability associate with her slender brother, it was in fact a trait that all siblings shared. The Goddess could feel the metaphorical muscles of Erthe's mind tensing as they tried to make sense of what the Goddess was saying. However the Goddess didn't interrupt nor try to offer clarity. She had known that this lesson would be hard for the girl to understand - would have in fact been shocked if the pale girl had accepted it immediately. No, the deity would let her lesson stew in the young one's mind. That was the only way.

"There is something, yes." The Goddess replied, raising one of her star-sheened wings and draping it over the filly's back. As she did this, all of the pain in young Erthe's body faded away. The girl's body was still as broken as it had been when she came, but at least as long as she remained close to the Goddess, the pain would be distant.

"What I want," The Goddess began, pulling the girl closer to her silken side and turning her delicate muzzle around to look at the filly, "is for you to know more about this world in which you live. It is hard to understand the world by looking at it from the Edge, and despite all of your wanderings and adventures, there is more for you to do and see yet." The Goddess smiled reassuringly. "Visit a herdland you've never seen. Get lost in the deepest part of the Deep Woods with a friend. Help someone make a new friend, or fall in love-" (for the Goddess doubted Erthe was old enough to experience love herself, but if she found herself experiencing love for another, then so be it.) "then when you're ready, take this," The Goddess offered the girl a pale white stone, "and place it in the very centre of the Green Labyrinth* and experience the world in a new way.."

The Goddess paused, waiting to see if Erthe had any questions, or if confusion appeared upon her youthful face. "Will you do that for me?"

* tag mythical request

Chan

The initial shock of having the soft velvet of her Lady's feathers drape over her almost made the filly pull away. Feeling the beautiful creature so close was lovely and terrifying, like poisoned nectar or dancing on an open field as lighting flashed across the sky. It felt dangerous, like the innocent red flowers that numbed her pain but made her crave more with each nibble, until reality collapsed in a blur of swirling color. But Erthë couldn't bring herself to reject this gesture. Didn't want to either... If this wonderful feeling of affection and closeness was poison she would drain the cup and ask for more. Exhaling a soft sigh of pleasure as all the pains and aches in her body ebbed away she leaned into the embrace, so overwhelmed by the extent of her luck today that she had to struggle to take in what the Lady was saying.

It was perfect. All of it, from the variation between the tasks to the extent of the quest she was about to undertake. This was no mere 'go fetch' task, (not that she would have minded that either) it was a series of actions that would require serious thought and reflection to understand the meaning of. In and of themselves it was fairly simple things, easy to grasp and remember - visit a herdland, get lost, help someone get a friend - but Erthë was sure there was some deeper underlying lesson for her to learn in doing these things. And learning was what she enjoyed most, out of all the things she tried so far in her short but eventful life. It suited her like snow in winter, and the smile that spread across her face as she reached out to accept the white stone was radiant.

"I will!" Erthë promised, feeling giddy with anticipation as she tucked the precious item securely in place in the crook of her wing. "Thank you so much! Is there a time limit?"

Feeling more confident than before - and a lot more comfortable in the presence of the immortal - Erthë boldly extended her nose to kiss a flawless lavender cheek, unable to contain her excitement without showing it in some way. Already her mind was working with the tasks at hand, ordering them in level of difficulty and weighing her options. Did she have a friend she could drag off to the Deep Forest? Well, there was Murtagh and Volterra and maybe Lyanna... but maybe she out to go to a herdland first, that way she might even find a new friend to get lost with. Would that make her very popular though..?

Within her, something purred contentedly at having a new purpose with her time. Suddenly there was something very immediate to wrap her head around, to wrestle with and try to accomplish. It felt good, because she wouldn't have to wait on this event, pretend to be patient and bide time she didn't want to waste - it would only happen when she made it happen, and for the restless young soul it was worth more than all the gold and jewels in the world.

ERTHË
Image Credits

Helovian Ancient
Admin

The Goddess received Erthe's gentle embrace with a patient and maternal smile upon her lilac lips.

However, as all good things must come to an end, Erthe's nuzzle signalled the end of their time together. Stepping away from the child, the Goddess's body began to shimmer and disappear, looking more and more like a sheen of stars than a physical form.

"No dear one, you may take as long as you like. This is for you - so rushing through it will make no difference to me. Learning more about yourself and this world is your task. There is no prize for first place."

With a smile and a fading wink, the Goddess' body shimmered and then finally disappeared from view. A warm and somehow shiny wind blew toward Erthe, emanating from the place the Goddess disappeared from. It combed the girl's curled forelock away from her eyes, and restored some of the healing magic that she had received by standing next to the Goddess. She would feel refreshed until she left the Veins.