the Rift

you paper tigers[knox/any drake son]

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time
His thoughts were so scrambled--anything that could possibly be slammed into his brain was there already, fighting for his concentration. The stallion's body was moving on instinct, his hooves pulling him anywhere they desired. The brute had no consciousness on where he would end up but he could feel it getting colder and colder as he moved further away from the heart of his herd land. The red dog bonded to the dark stallion moved with him, amber eyes expressing worry and confusion as they continued on. Glancing up at him every so often she let small whines slip from her maw, hoping to catch his full attention to divert it from his tangled thoughts and inner turmoil.

Finally, the pair stopped in the Thistle Meadow. Loretta stood belly deep in the snow and her bonded was barely affected by the white substance as it covered his hooves and much of his feathering. Night was falling on the land now and the temperature was dropping. Both creatures, Archibald and Loretta, were protected from the harsh climate by their thick winter coats. The cold was written in their DNA, making their bodies adapt well--far better than some of the others in the herd. With their adaptions they felt little effects from the cold except for their breath moving out in visible white puffs.

After standing in silence for so long Loretta made the first sound. Her body shook as she readied her body to move, to get her blood flowing, and she took one long leap up towards her bonded's head, releasing a high pitched noise that could be best described somewhere between a whine and a bark. Through this Archibald was brought back to reality, removed from his thoughts. His conflicted golden eyes looked down at his companion bitch, now wagging her tail and wiggling around to please him. Blinking Archibald sighed and lowered his muzzle to touch her back gently. With satisfaction the red dog started moving away from her stallion, jumping in the snow and yipping loudly.

Following suite, Archibald jumped forward and kicked his back legs into the air, sending all of the thoughts he held in him--most specifically on who had blinded him at the meeting--into the air with a great amount of powdery snow.

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen

image by deadair @ flickr.com</style>

round up all the pieces, but they just don't fit the same.</style>

Strong Colt has learned to face the cold quickly. His coat has curled and thickened, his mind has steeled, and his body has absorbed the warmth of the sun. He cuts through the snow on the floor of the Thistle Meadow and the roof of the earth with ease and grace before halting to stand tall and still, like an ebony tower amidst a field of fallen bodies. He seeks out company and finds none, seeks solitude and finds himself accosted by everything. Here in the meadow there is a haunting silence and a chilling sense of being surrounded all at once. He cannot stand any longer; he lets himself fall to his knees and lay in the cold. He lets his body go numb and the sense of being lost fade away.

Manhattan has begun to howl at night and see visions of what once haunted her master. The ability to terrorize is more than a blessing, it taunts her like a curse. It is untamed and dangerous, with the potential to drive a soul mad. She barely holds on- in the cold of the snow she feels death approaching and sees it all around her. She sees her master's blood where he steps when it is not there, she watches him be murdered over and over again, on repeat in her mind, an image that haunts, an image that haunts. She cries at night.

In the snow she curls beside her master and shudders. She feels close to death, she cannot remind herself that when she is with Knox, she is always safe. She hears the high pitched bark of her sister and jolts upwards- she expects horrors to dance before her, and sees joy. Beside her the Strong Colt stirs from his hibernation and lifts a tired head, then an aching form, from the snow. In the distance, drawing closer, are the marked forms of his brother and Loretta. He should go to greet them, he wants to love them, yet he cannot bring himself to care.

It is his pup that stumbles from her snow bed and runs after her sister, as if to warn Loretta of the danger always on Manhattan's own heels. But images leave the black dog's mind and dance across the surface of the snow.

For less than a minute the images of Mandrake, Casimir, Vincent, Wilders, Emerson, and Kipp are scattered across the surface of the snow. Everything is stained red with blood that is not there, the air is filled with a stench of death that is not truly present. Knox wants to look away, but he cannot look away. He wants to blind himself and never see such a picture again. He feels disgust and hatred but he does not feel fear, certainly not the fear that has haunted his bonded, the fear that she has learned to pass off onto others.

He looks to his brother only just before it is too late and sends silver darting into Archibald's eyes. The stallion is to be blinded- but not before he saw what he feared the most. Manhattan has fallen back into the snow; she has begun to cry. Strong Colt wants to say something and does not know what to say- he saw his family lying dead before him and he did not feel fear.

"Brother..." His voice breaks the air and he understands faintly that he is trying to offer comfort. He sounds insincere- he is insincere.

[[Permission both to terrorize and blind]]

knox</style>
& manhattan</style>

Mandrake Posts: 53
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: 15
Alex

Children. I missed my children. No, that was a lie. I missed them doing my work. It was so much harder to kill and injure myself. My muscles were still sore from the work of two nights' ago. Although that had been fun. Muscles under gray pelt moved, and I sighed, completely and utterly tired. So much work! Not anymore. Ha.

I had walked to meet my children. My little children, no matter how tall they may be. My robots. I had completed my work so very well, but their instant obedience cured any ill feelings in me. I enjoyed watching them work, watching them bleed, watching them fight, watching them rise to power. I had raised them. Not some softie parents who wanted to teach them about love. Pah! Love would get you nowhere in this world. A world always shrouded in mystery.

I slipped into a trot, a swift ground-covering trot up to the thistle meadow. I could smell them, my children. My children. Finally I could see them again. There they are- Archibald! Knox! Archibald's made me proud- he is general of the herd now. He is strong and smart, yet obedient. That's very nice. Perhaps he is my greatest achievement. I slow to a haunting walk, my eyes sparkling with devious light as I near them.

"Kids, have you missed me?"

""

jannakrdobson @ flickr

Loretta is brought out of her joy first, nose catching the faint scent of familiarity. Her ears swivel atop her head, body jolting to a stop. Her amber eyes quickly find the familiar thing in the darkness--a mass of black fur charging her. Instantly her joy returns and she pivots her body to run towards the black thing, her sister, to jump around with her sister and greet her and play. Loretta's paws press into the snow and her legs sink deep which causes her speed to be under par. Her actions, however, catch Archibald's attention.

The giant turns, hooves lifting out of the snow and plunging in again with ease. His golden hued eyes catch first the sight of Manhattan, his brother's companion. Quickly his eyes bounce off of the black dog to search for Knox's dark figure. He sees the faint outline of his shadowy brother and moves towards him. As the giant lumbers towards the adolescent a rising sense of unease fills him--and instantly everything goes wrong.

Archibald is stopped in his tracks, breath stolen from his lungs. Before him, spewed across the snow of the Thistle meadow, is his family. Their bodies lay tangled and mutilated; hair, blood and skin paint the ground around them. Each one stares at Archibald with cold, lifeless eyes. Their mouths, oh god, hang open as if screaming helplessly for a savior and guardian. They are screaming for him. A feeling surges through his veins, stopping function of his brain and limbs. The feeling, simply, is fear.

Loretta, getting hit with her bonded's emotion like a hurricane, feels instantly hurt. She stops for an instant and looks to Archibald as he stands, his body frozen in fear. Manhattan flings herself to the ground, crying out apologetically. Snarling Loretta moves forward, thrusting her weight onto the younger bitch. Quickly and roughly Loretta's jaws clamp shut on Manhattan's scruff, holding the younger one. A blood-curdling growl rips the silence of the scene before them, rolling from the very essence of Loretta. The red and white dog stands over the black, each hair along her spine standing on end, only ending at the very tip of her tail as it sticks in the air with an anger-driven dominance.

Knox's blindness reaches the stallion too late. He has already seen the image he wishes never to see again. His blood runs cold in his veins now as he stands silent, still. An eternity passes before the giant catches his breath, and it comes only with anger. Everything disappears around him and Archibald feels rage boil up into his chest. His brother, his child brother, sent the blindness to him--in the meeting and now once again. Gritting his teeth the massive knight lifts his body into the air. Muscles tighten and balance shifts inherently and his legs curl before he comes crashing to the ground once more. Even through the snow Archibald's hooves are able to strike the earth clean and precise. Tremors move the Thistle Meadow and Archibald cries out in anger, "Give me my sight!"

It is only after Archibald yells at Knox that he hears his mother. Quickly his eyes scan for her and find only darkness--his nose finally finds her.

Jen

Strong Colt hears a cry and he feels the fear he could not feel before. The vision has faded and left nothing but a wisp of black shadow magic dancing across the snow. Silver that flew through the air bounces back and surrounds his brother. His bridle glows, a temper rises. The magic around them is uncontrollable, the fear and pain at last felt.

In moments he tramples forth, disregarding the snow as it climbs up his limbs and splashes in his wake. He cuts across the expanse in utter contrast to it all, headed directly towards his brother's companion. Manhattan yowls, a young pup caught in the grip of her older sister, longing for the comfort of her companion. Knox hears everything; hears his mother come from behind and speak as if nothing is wrong, hears Archibald exclaim and demand his sight. But his mother will get no attention and his brother will get no vision until the rage is satisfied.

Manhattan squirms and shudders, haunted by her magic as it slowly begins to return. Strong Colt rears, only to crash beside Loretta and threaten her existence. Young Colt darts forth with teeth borne and violence in his blue eyes. The malamute will pay for what pain she has caused.

Without controlling it, his magic goes where it is most needed, to protect his bonded. Manhattan crawls away, blinded but used to the feeling as it is all that brings her comfort from the terror. Knox remembers his mother's greeting and his brother's cry- still he aims for the red dog. "She must pay, brother!"

Strong colt runs past his mother and does not seem to care. He feels the pain of his bonded, that is all that matters. Something must give.

knox</style>
& manhattan</style>

Mandrake Posts: 53
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: 15
Alex

The next feeling to hit me is anger as scenes flash before me. Archibald rearing. Loretta attacking. The stiff, erect crimsons hair on the dog's back standing tall, glistening. A panicked cry- bitch Manhattan trapped in the slobbering jaws of the bitch Loretta. And by bitch, I mean in the female dog sense. For a moment I stand. Not confused. Mandrake is never confused. But startled, stunned even. Idiot sons! That's when the rage hits hard and fast. The great big bulky stallion Archibald is flailing about blind, looking for me, and only his nose finds me while silly Knox tries to attack the red dog. Stupid sons! At least they're not mares. Catfights every day.

"Knox!" I snarl, moving forward. Normally, the affairs of my sons are theirs, but I find the idea of harming companions for the sake of some blunder ridiculous. "Stop!" I'm not really paying attention any more as I begin to rant at them. "You two are brothers! You're family! This is ridiculous! My family does not fight amongst ourselves! We are weakened by this idiocy. You shame me. Both of you."

Quickly Archibald gains his sight, only concluding that Knox sent the blindness somewhere else. Anger still bubbles in his chest, and in an instant he feels the need to demolish the black colt. Turning quickly Archibald follows after Knox at a full sprint, eyes narrowed and head pushed forward. "Do not touch her! You started this!" Archibald snapped his teeth towards Knox's flank, trying to send a warning bite. "If you punish you you must punish yourself! She was doing what you are doing--protecting her bondmate!"

Loretta, in a moment of terror, releases her grip on Manhattan. Yelping, the bitch scrambles towards Archibald. I'm going to die," the malamute decided and sent to her bonded. Hearing the thought Archibald tightened his muscles and rolled into a sliding stop, the snow keeping his body sliding longer then it would normally. Loretta dove under the safety of Archibald's large body, barely missing the scrape of Knox's teeth. Lowering herself to the ground the bitch snarls, tail tucking under her body. Her amber eyes shoot to the black dog and her ears pin. Her emotions are running between anger and fear uncontrollably.

Archibald lifts his body up again and slams his forehooves to the ground with as much force he could muster. The tremors that shook out shake the earth so much that it threatens to crack underneath the hooves of the family. "If you touch her, you will feel the worst punishment I have ever dealt." Archibald growls, voice low and serious. His eyes are locked on Knox's, daring his baby brother. Mandrake's words fall on deaf ears--all Archibald can do is protect his bondmate.

Jen

Strong Colt hears his mothers words like static at first. She and his brother are white noise, Manhattan the station. But Manhattan whines and ries, Manhattan looks at him with fear in her eyes and sincerity invading her being. She is innocent and kind, but sees the violence in her master. Sees the capacity to kill, and longs for it to leave his bridled being. His soul is in chains, but not lost. She entreats to it now, and he is no deaf fool.

His hoof, lifted beside Loretta, is placed gently back into the snow. Instantly the raging emotion of his companions soothes to a steady, slow beating of her heart. He hears nothing else, he needs nothing else. The blindness settles over her blue eyes with ease, shielding her from the own horror of her magic and keeping it from causing damage elsewhere. "An accident," the colt begins with a nod to his brother and a bow to his mother. "It was just an accident. My apologies, brother- mother," he says with a trailing murmur and a delicate set of steps backwards. He does not belong here; here are two with honest intention that desire to protect. He has more within him, he longs to fight, he hopes to kill.

Loretta still taunts him from the snow where she lies. He can think of nothing else but how weak she is to him. She is such easy prey.

But this is no time for murder. Proud as his mother may have been were his target another, she would likely have him killed for acting out against his own brother and his bonded. He was to respect them, for they were older, wiser. His commanders, in their own way.

The strong colt's eyes hardened and he called Manhattan to his side with a low hum. Through the snow she came crawling to him blindly, taking comfort in his warmth beside her when she reached him. "We should leave; we have caused trouble when there need be none," the young beast says uncomfortably. He lifts his sturdy legs and plods through the snow, away from them. There is nothing more to say.

The faint hum drones on as he guides Manhattan home.

[[Knox exits. Time, we had wanted a spar? Perhaps these two can 'meet again' to settle this grudge on the battlefield now that he's older.]]

knox</style>
& manhattan</style>