Sabre Posts: 21
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 3 years
Cutlass :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Reli
Sabre
light the fuse
and burn it up
I’M BACK NERDS.

Although, admittedly,  it’s a numerous amount of paces since breaching Helovia’s Threshold that I actually realize I’ve returned; but still, I know familiar territory when I see it. Perhaps it’s a fantasy produced by the ignorance of my young, fledgling mind, but for some reason I always thought that my entrance back to my homeland would be more...well, just more. Coming to a halt with a pointed stomp of my hooves, I glance around the plain, unassuming forest. “This is it?” I growl to myself, narrowing my eyes as my lips turn downward.

(It’s so quiet.)

Not even the birds are singing; it’s just the sound of my lungs, my hooves, my heart.
Just me.

For the briefest, most fleeting moment (I’m not even sure if it happened at all, mind you) I feel the cold, numbing prick of aloneness. It’s not the first time—of course I’ve missed my brother and ma in the...however long it’s been since I’d seen them last. More than I would ever care to admit. Still, I suppose throughout all of my travels, I’d always imagined my return to be some great, sickening fanfare of celebration. A reunion dreamt from all the delusional fantasies of a budding adolescent. Not that I care in the slightest for that mushy feelings garbage, but I suppose when you get right to the core of it: I hadn’t expected to still be so alone.

And yet, here I am.

What a disappointment. Gritting my teeth and cursing myself for my own naivety, I stomp forward again, only to lurch gracelessly into a sudden gallop. With swallowing strides I charge forward, throwing my head towards the canopy to release a guttural, fierce bellow. Much to my pleasure, the raucous sound does exactly what I had intended. Like a choir answering my call, birds suddenly burst from the trees, piping their shrill songs that swell in the silence. “How d’you like me now?!” I laugh with shameless glee, a devilish smirk highlighting the mischief in my eyes.

Abruptly I throw my weight back, letting loose a spirited buck before I dip my haunches down low to the ground. I’m basically sitting by the time I come to a halt, the already-lengthy mass of curly hair strewn about my neck and face. Huffing, I spit the hair from my eyes, and turn around to see two long gouges in the grass, like the flight path of a rocket. I grin smugly. Not bad, if I do say so myself!

notes; For @Volterra !!
“Speech.”
image credits
JOIN THE EMPIRE

[Image: pixel_i__sabre_by_xxcloudscollide_d9z9zr...9zbmnl.gif]
please tag Sabre in all replies!
magic & force is permitted, excluding death or permanent injury.

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow
They have searched long and hard for her.

The dragons have searched by air, whilst Volterra has searched by ground; as red and gold soar through Helovia and hunt for the faintest sign of a skull-faced child, their bonded has the less enviable task of searching the undergrowth and caves beneath them for her. He does not think she will be dead - because no child of his loins could possibly submit to death so easily - but he knows he has to find out, so at least Kid can have the closure of her body to mourn.

But thus far their three-pronged hunt has been completely fruitless. Volterra knows that, chances are, Sabra has left Helovia completely, and as he promised Kid, he will send the dragons across the border to hunt for her in the wilderness. He keeps putting off the day that he will do that, because his stomach holds a deep pit of unease about what lurks outside the comfort-zone of Helovian territory. What if the dragons inform him that things are so much better out in the wilderness? What if temptation leads him to abandon all he knows, and he turns into a roving vagabond like his father before him?

But he can put it off no longer. They have looked for Sabre for months without finding a single sign of her, and the longer he waits the more chance there is of something unmentionable happening to her. So he moves towards the Threshold at a steady canter, mane and tail streaming behind him and dragons glimmering like gemstones in his wake, his skull-marked face set int a stony mask of determination. He will find her. His firstborn daughter will return home.

There's a voice, and a flock of birds erupt from the trees. With joyous screams, his dragons dive after the flying prey, and the air is filled with the cacophony of terrified avians and delighted dragons. The behemoth allows his consciousness to drift into the minds of his companions and he watches through them as they hunt down the fleeing birds.

And there, out of the corner of one draconic eye, in a gap between the trees, he sees a blur of black, white and red.

Could it be? Immediately the leviathan's path alters and he trots towards the stranger, heart beating, eyes desperately hunting for confirmation....He sees a filly, a yearling, his heartbeat racing further as he works out the dates and realises that yes, this could be her. He can't help running his approving gaze over her, noting that she's larger than her twin brother, that she has the delightful face marking of Volterra's mother, along with a red splash that looks beautifully like blood; that she's sturdy, well-built, powerful. It's her. His daughter.

He moves closer, suddenly full of trepidation; how does one go about approaching their long-lost child? What if she holds as much hate for him as Kid does? But, he reasons, if that's the case, then he'll just have to deal with it. "Sabre? Are you Sabre?" His voice is a beacon of power over the shrieks of the hunted birds, and his body language is neutral and nonethreatening as he steps closer to his child.

volterra
vérzés & vadir

coloring & coding credit

@Sabre MELTS WITH EXCITEMENT

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Outcast
Sabre
light the fuse
and burn it up
I’m suddenly distracted by the horrid shrieking of frightened, dying birds. Pinning my ears against the unwelcomed eruption, I cast my eyes upward, peering against the sunlight to try and make sense of that annoying sound, and what might be attacking the miserable little creatures (the very same sound I might grow to admire, one day, when lanky muscles are hardened and the fates are kind enough to gift me my own dragon). For now, however, it ignites nothing but frustration within the ignorance of my little mind. Huffing with all the drama of a teenager, I lower my head abruptly, teeth yanking at the grass. I take in each bite vigorously—roots, dirt, and all—and chew with enough force that I can hear the click of enamel with each chomp.

Somehow, I manage the catch the rustle of hoof beats despite the gusto of my mastication. I pause at first, not entirely sure if I had actually heard something, or if it had only been a bird or deer or some crap roaming through the forest.

“Sabre?”

I nearly jump out of my skin when the unfamiliar deep, rumbling voice says my name (I mean come on girls, how is that not creepy?). Nevertheless, I’m not about to be intimidated so easily, like some primped-up little tart. Instead, I pin my ears flat against the back of my neck, and whip my eyes around to fix the stallion with my most aggressive scowl. Around and up, that is. This guy is monstrous—all height, hair, and bulk; had I possessed any ounce of caution weakness, I likely would’ve kicked dirt in his face right then and high-tailed it for the smallest little nook I could fit in.

But that’s just not me.
I don’t run.

(Unless I’m charging at something, obviously, but that’s an entirely different point.)

Clenching my jaw together to keep my teeth from shaking, I turn the rest of my body around to meet him, golden eyes hardly wavering from his face. Pointedly I stare before answering, exhaling a long breath from my nostrils. “So what if I am?” I counter, eyes narrowing. I try to take advantage of the element of surprise next (not a strong point of mine, admittedly) and call upon the magic that pulses through my veins. Reaching deep into myself—deep, deep, through my hooves and into the earth—I summon that gift of the gods, and muster a number of thorny vines to lurch from the soil, and towards the stranger.

My intention is to create a sort of blockade between us, for the vines to hover just inches from his skin (scare tactic, y’know?)—but, that’s isn’t quite what happens. I had only just discovered my magic days after leaving Helovia, so I haven’t exactly ‘mastered’ it yet. Instead

—half of the vines seem to tangle with one another, churning and growing and twisting, until they’re little more than a stupid tumbleweed. Lotta good that does me! My scowl droops a little as I curse at myself, brows knitting together with exasperation, but I don’t let that embarrassment get the better of me. Using the couple of vines that actually did what they were supposed to, I wave them threateningly at the stallion, and try not to completely lose it at the pathetic wiggling of the tumbleweed mass. “What’s it to you? My voice is a growl pushed through bared teeth, clinging to whatever is left of my bruised pride.

“Speech.”
@Volterra | image credits
JOIN THE EMPIRE

Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow
She's devouring the grass like her life depends on it, and he seizes the opportunity to observe her some more. She is clearly of his blood, yet he can see Colt's influence in the sturdy Quarter Horse power of her hindquarters. She is a perfect blend of her parents, and he sees potential there. When she is fully-grown, men will offer their swords and shields on bended knee to him for her favour - she could be the forger of alliances, mother of future warlords.

But this is all in the future. Right now, he is just a stranger to her; it will take a lot to earn her trust.

As the leviathan says her name, she whips around and fixes him with a glare that Vadir would be proud of. He has to fight against the proud grin that tries its best to barge onto his lips, because it's good to see that his fiesty attitude has passed down to his firstborn daughter. Instead his face remains impassive, but there's a joyous twinkle in his eye as he continues to meet her gaze.

His attention only wavers when the ground nearby erupts into a pool of thorny vines, which whip ominously towards him as though about to snag in his flesh and hold him in place....until they tangle around themselves and form a slightly less scary bundle of spikes. A couple of fronds free themselves and wave threateningly at him, and he raises an eyebrow in their direction. "You have magic?" he says, obviously impressed - albeit not with her handling of said magic, but it takes practice. Volterra had almost died the first time he used his own magic, although the memory brings Isopia's face into his mind and his insides twist miserably.

Now, however, he has far more control over the blessings in his blood, and he even has a second magic - from the ground beside him comes a great golem the same size as him, horse-shaped and rippling with veins of molten fire. Its eyes are pits of magma rage and its stone form lumbers dully forwards a step, close enough for its lava veins to softly singe away a couple of the vines that the filly had created. With considerable mental control, the beast prevents his golem from attacking - as that is what his creations are driven to do - and instead has it trundle along to stand beside him again, glowing dangerously and rippling with monolithic strength. He's not quite sure what made him create it - a desire to show off to his daughter, maybe, and let her know that she comes from loins of power.

"I have been searching Helovia for you, Sabre," he rumbles, for even though she hadn't confirmed her name, her defensive reaction is all the confirmation he needs. "Your brother misses you." This is the truth; it makes him ache that Kid cherishes Sabre's company so much more than he does Volterra's, but the stallion knows the bond of twins better than most. He sees something of himself in Kid and Nymeria in Sabre, and that is why he has thrown his resources into finding her. "My name is Volterra." He hesitates for a moment to let that sink in; will she know his name? Know who he is? Just in case, he adds; "Your father."

volterra
vérzés & vadir

coloring & coding credit

@Sabre

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]

Outcast
Sabre
light the fuse
and burn it up
So my ‘surprise’ attack doesn’t have quite the horrified effect that I was going for—the stallion barely even flinches at the mass of vines—but stubbornly, I still hold them to him, the blackness of my lips tightening. One of my ears loosens enough to twitch at his question, and I scoff, one side of my brow rising as though to say o-b-v-i-o-u-s-l-y. It’s not like it’s natural for a throng of thorny vines to erupt from the ground. Still, I manage to catch the hint of praise in his low voice, and I can’t help but fluff up arrogantly. I may be young, and I may be largely inexperienced, but I like to think I’m a force to be reckoned with.

However, my moment of pride is swallowed bitterly when a large—thing—rises to the stallion’s side. “Holy shit,” I grunt with wide eyes, taking in the stone beast with barely-concealed wonder. It is as large as the black stranger himself, with veins of molten magma feeding its rocky body, and it moves with a slow but undeniable power. You’re doing this?” I’m clearly in awe, eyes glittering with devilish glee, “What is it?” With a barbed vine, I reach towards the stone thing, stroking it. I’m not like my brother—I’m pretty much an open book as far as emotions go; I don’t see any point in masking anger or disgust. Unfortunately, however, I can’t conceal the less heated emotions either.

Only after the fact do I remember that I can’t be so cordial with this guy. Narrowing my eyes and pressing my lips into a severe line, I scowl when he continues. “Why wo—” but my words are cut short, my train of thought evaporating as quickly as it had flared—

“Your brother misses you.”

I’m speechless—which, usually, isn’t an easy feat—but those four words steal everything so easily. “Kid!” I manage to gasp, choking out his name from a throat swollen with emotion, my heart leaping erratically. I’ve missed him too! My soul cries out with earnest desperation, the words screaming from my eyes. The vines having since fallen in my dumbness, I lean a step forward, looking up to the massive stallion. “How do you know him? Is he alright?” The words pour out anxiously, wanting to know every detail and where I can find him.

Instead, the stranger introduces himself. My ears pin impatiently, the curly length of my tail twitching restlessly around my flanks. Volterra; the name means nothing to me. As far as I can remember, I’ve never heard it in my life; and if I have, then obviously I don’t care enough to remember it.

“Your father.”

I hesitate, balking for a moment in my anxiousness. “My...what?” I tilt my head, blood-spattered brow knitting together as the word sinks in. (Honestly, it doesn’t take long, saturating the shallows of my heart easily). Unlike my womb mate, I have hardly thought of who our father might have been—I haven’t ever needed him, ma has taught us well, and we can obviously survive well enough without him. Why would he show up now? “How do I know you’re not lying, huh? Where’s my ma? Where’s Kid? My lips twist with suspicion, and then my face droops with the most disturbing doubt, before hardening into a more violent glare than before. “Is he safe?” I spit the words, and I dare another step forward, scowling up at him without an ounce of caution.

“Speech.”
@Volterra | image credits
JOIN THE EMPIRE

Holy shit is a rather accurate description of his magic, and a wolf's grin makes its way onto his face. One of the filly's vines begins to stroke the golem, which stands vacantly and dribbles lava down its stone body like an untrained foal dribbling its mother's milk. "It is a golem," he responds to her question. "And yes, I am its creator. It is not sentient and cannot respond to commands, but it seems to work off my impulses." He can't ask it to attack someone, but the fury of his mind usually bids it to; it is a queer relationship, one he is still growing used to. As he rarely uses his magic in battle, he hasn't yet mastered what his golems can do except for these attention-seeking party tricks.

Kid. That brings life into the filly, and with a painful twist of his gut Volterra is again reminded of the similarities between this set of twins and himself and Nymeria. "He is fine. He possesses far too smart a mouth for one his age, mind, but he is alive and well." The Gladiator gives a small snort of amusement as Kid's sharp words slip into his mind.

She steps forwards, demanding proof that he is her father. He does not flinch; he has been expecting that. Instead he lowers his head until he is on her level, and looks directly into her eyes out of a face as white as her own. "Look at our faces, Sabre. You did not inherit that skull from your mother - you inherited it from mine." It has often been a point of contention for him that he doesn't have Confutatis or Nymeria's perfectly-defined skull upon his face; his is simply a crude approximation of one, just a broad blaze with no teeth. But he passes the distinctive markings down to his children with great regularity, and there is no finer litmus test than comparing facial decorations.

Vadir chooses that moment to plummet from the skies and land heavily upon the goliath's back, her mouth full of feathers and bits of bone. With her eyes fixed upon Sabre, she slowly and pointedly swallows the remaining feathers and begins to carefully clean her glimmering golden scales with lethal, predatory grace. Volterra frowns. Don't scare the girl, Vadir, he warns. The massive dragon simply snorts smoke, and redoubles the painstaking cleansing of her gemlike scales. "Any hatchling scared of dragons should not be hatchling of yours," she points out.

The behemoth glances back to Sabre. "Unfortunately I have not seen your mother recently, so I am unsure of her whereabouts. Kid, however, I bump into regularly. Much to his delight." The sarcasm drips lazily from the stallion's tongue, but it's not venomous in the slightest. "He is an outcast, as I was until recently. To my knowledge, he has no fixed home, but I know he has been extremely worried about you." The beast's penetrating red gaze looks directly at his daughter. "Did your mother never describe me to you?" He's slightly hurt at this - he always thought himself so memorable.

volterra
vérzés & vadir

coloring & coding credit

@Sabre