the Rift

[OPEN] Someone New

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

Isopia

Me, longing to be free, I won't let you fade away
We, shed so many dreams, I'll let them fade away

[BEWB TABLE FOR YOU BECAUSE ILU. For @Sohalia . Iso is standing on the Helovia-side of the Dragon's Throat. Also set in some ambiguous timeline where Isopia isn't ready to fly off the handle.]

How long had it been since the Mountain had been here? Seasons, she thought. Her memory was actually horrific for one who prided herself on her rationality and intellectual prowess. Oh well, for now, it didn't matter. What did matter to the demigoddess was whether the statue she had built was still standing. Her creations inside of her small clearing had lasted only because her magic was constantly upon them, reviving and updating them. But what of the stone sigul she had made for Thunderhead? Would it still be standing?

Gliding, Isopia allowed her large wings to angle downwards, gracefully spiralling her massive body towards the rocky outcropping that bordered the sea. In the distance was the Dragon's Throat proper, and while she couldn't make out anyone in particular, it appeared to be flourishing with activity. 

Iso's large hooves touched down on the jagged rocks with a clatter. She folded her wings against her flanks and began to walk towards the statue. It looked fairly weathered (the waves surely hit this area hard, especially in Orangemoon she had no doubt), but the structure itself was still standing. Isopia's lips made a frown, but her expression was one of quite pride in her work. Her quad horned skull bobbed appreciatively. 

>>Good job<< Hubris trilled into her mind, landing on her wide withers and playing with the red folds of her cloak. Isopia made no response, but her lips did twitch slightly in a smile. The demigoddess' golden eyes lowered, and she noticed that there weren't many hoofprints around the statue. Hadn't Thunderhead wanted this to be a place where the WHATCH could be called upon? Either they were so efficient in their operations that the setatue hadn't been needed, or perhaps it was still the case that no one knew about the blue mare's group. Oh well. Neither mattered to the mare, who was a distant member at best. And, given the dragon on her shoulders, clearly a terrible one to boot. 

Image by Tamme!

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
Sohalia
The winged shape in the sky was unfamiliar, and Sohalia the Transcended couldn't help the suspicion that blossomed in her gut. Though she had once been a naive, trusting mare, that part of herself had gotten lost somewhere along the way. After surviving a variety of challenges in Helovia, not to mention the kidnapping that had forced her from her home, she viewed anything new trespassing on what she considered her territory with a modicum of reservation. A perfectly friendly stranger could be a master manipulator, intent on destroying her home or her loved ones. When she was out and about on neutral ground, she was more relaxed, but here - there was just too much at stake to be cavalier.

So it was with a vague sense of mistrust that the ivory dove glided over the blue waters that surrounded the Dragon's Throat. It seemed odd that a pegasus - a member of the one species that had always been welcome here - would stop outside the borders. If it was a stranger, perhaps they merely meant to be respectful. If it was an outsider from somewhere other than Helovia, perhaps they didn't know. But maybe - even if this was a stretch, it was possible - maybe they were a scout for an enemy, hoping to find some weakness, some way to invade the Throat. In any case, she was going to find out who they were and what they wanted. She might not be a powerful warrior or a sneaky thief, but she had diplomacy on her side. It had served her well so far.

The dove landed daintily on the sands of Helovia, fluttering her wings gently as she settled them at her sides. To the stranger, she offered a polite (if wary) smile. It was a mare, tall and muscular without appearing bulky. Her markings were unique and intriguing: a dark blaze ran down the center of her face, offset by the white markings extending from beneath her eyes to her nose. Oddly enough, they looked almost like teeth. Four horns protruded from the stranger's brow, and her wings were mismatched, though Sohalia was distracted from this observation by the deep red cloak that hung limply off the mare's broad shoulder. All in all, there was something about the stranger that was different than other pegicorns she had seen in her travels. She just couldn't put her hoof on what it was.

The mare stood before a weathered statue, seeming to study it with an appraising gaze. As Sohalia approached on foot, having landed a polite distance away so as not to startle the stranger into attacking, she turned her own attention to the stone. What it had been erected for, she had no idea; but the other mare looked at it as though expecting something of it. Sohalia's curiosity was piqued. A movement among the folds of the cloak drew her attention, and she noticed a dragon perched upon the stranger's back, betraying equine lineage. Her eyebrows rose an infinitesimal amount. So the stranger was a tribrid, then. Had she ever knowingly met someone of all three bloodlines before?

"Greetings," Sohalia started with a smile, her soprano voice pleasant and warm. "My name is Sohalia. I am an Artisan of the Dragon's Throat. I hope I'm not intruding, but I noticed you arrive from the other shore, and I wondered if you might be looking for something." Her bicolored eyes lingered on the other mare's face expectantly. Surely the stranger hadn't come just to loiter by some old statue?

"Talk talk talk."

Sohalia
Don't wanna leave this life knowing I barely tried...

@Isopia

AWESOME I LOVE YOUR BEWB
uhwutimean
It's a pretty table xD
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

Isopia

Isopia was unsure whether Sohalia meant to land and speak with her, or merely carry on. She would have preferred the latter of the two options, but as the pale creature descended from the skies and landed, her trajectory indicated to the demigoddess that a conversation was about to occur.

She sighed.

Isopia's hardened golden stare pulled away from the statue as the Transcended rounded the corner, moving into a proximity that made it impossible for Isopia to continue to ignore her presence without appearing rude. The Mountain's ears perked forward to catch the dove's words, finding them odd. I don't mean to intrude, she had said, and then done precisely that. She then offered that she was an artisan, but hadn't inquired about the statue. This indicated to the quad-horned mare that likely this mare was in a position of power, (why else would she have come all the way over, just to see if Isopia required assistance? (Of course, altruism rarely came to Isopia's mind as an explanation)), or that she was lying about her rank. If she was an artisan, surely her questions would have focused on the creation that stood before them?

Or perhaps she was wrong all together.

Hubris trilled a bright hello, extending his bronzey wings from his body and nodding happily to Sohalia. "I was." Isopia responded, her tone clinical and academic as always. And, as always, she only offered the information that was asked of her. Surprisingly this mare didn't ask her name. Perhaps that was an oversight, or perhaps the dove already knew that she was called The Mountain That Knows. Many did, and it wouldn't surprise her if the mare knew of the moniker. "But I've found it now." Isopia's golden stare roamed to the statue indicating that it was the it her sentence referred to. "I built this for someone. But I don't think they need it anymore."

Her large shoulders shrugged as if this was of no consequence to her, and in truth, it wasn't. What Thunderhead decided to do with the WHATCH and its mission was her business. Isopia's task had stood the test of a few seasons, and that was pleasing in itself to the girl, regardless of whether anyone actually used it.

Image by Tamme!
@Sohalia

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Sohalia
The ivory dove was oblivious to the Mountain’s hidden displeasure at her arrival, perhaps assuming that because she herself would welcome company, so would anyone else. It seemed that she had not learned the lesson that might have been taught by the recent incident with that grumpy unicorn stallion, and once again she found herself by the side of someone who did not ask for nor desire her (or any other) presence. Luckily for Sohalia, this stranger was at least better at hiding her distaste. The stranger’s dragon trilled a cheerful-sounding note, and the mare smile indulgently at him. She had always been fond of companions, finding them to often be far more than an extension of their bonded’s soul. Astraeus certainly had his own personality, one that was at time far removed from her own.

In any case, the dragon’s greeting was soon followed by the surprisingly emotionless voice of the mare. Sohalia was surprised by the almost clinical way that the Mountain spoke. It wasn’t quite cold, and it wasn’t altogether off-putting, but it was removed in a way that she had rarely, if ever, encountered. For the first time, she wondered if perhaps she might have made a mistake in approaching the mare, if maybe the stranger would have preferred the time to herself. But, reminding herself that she was here now and it was too late to turn away now that the mare was speaking to her, she tried to maintain the welcoming, matronly air that she always carried.

At the mention of the statue, Sohalia’s gaze flickered away from the stranger. “It’s lovely,” she murmured approvingly, studying the craftsmanship in it. So this stranger was an artisan – somehow that was not what the dove had expected of the stoic demigoddess. “What was it for?” she settled for asking, imagining that the mare would have offered who it had been for if she’d wanted to, and that asking now would be prying. Somehow asking its purpose was different, not as intrusive to whatever history the mare had here.

"Talk talk talk."

Sohalia

@ Isopia - ugh I took forever and I'm terrible
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Isopia

Isopia seemed to take no pride in Sohalia's compliment of her work, despite the fact that her quad-horned skull dipped slightly in acknowledgement. Lovely or not, all it was now was a pile of rocks with an aesthetic appeal. With its purpose and thus its usefulness lost, it seemed incoherent to call it lovely. It was just a pile of rocks, placed in a certain way, fused together by magic. What was lovely about that?

But she said nothing.

Sohalia's question drew her eyes up somewhat, and they slivered for just a second as the Mountain considered her words. If this was truly now just an unused relic, surely revealing its purpose couldn't be harmful? She hadn't heard heads or tails of the Whatch for seasons now, and though she had seen Thunderhead in passing, all of the urgency that had once surrounded the group seemed to be gone.

And yet...perhaps it was still because she carried the blade Thunderhead had given to her, or perhaps it was simply due to the proximity of the statue, but Isopia decided to keep this secret a while longer.

"It was for those who needed it." She answered simply, exhaling gently as she continued to wonder if there was anyone left in that category. Deciding that she should at least be polite, given that if the mare wanted to label her a trespasser, she wouldn't be entirely incorrect, Isopia tried her hand at small talk.

With a smirk, Hubris brightened and listened eagerly. This was sure to be good.

"If you are an artisan here ... that means you craft with metal?" It was a genuine question. Isopia thought she was correct, but in actuality she knew very little of the Dragon's Throat herd. "What is .. that like?"

Image by Tamme!
@Sohalia PFFT stupid thread.

Sohalia
A statue for those who needed it? What do you make of that? the pale lady asked Astraeus, cocking her head to take in the sculpture as though staring at it might decipher its hidden message. The zephyr, disinterested in what he primarily viewed as a roost, shrugged his sparking shoulders. The mare said nothing, instead choosing to nod. She hadn't the slightest idea what the stranger was implying, but it was quite clear that the subject was not an open one. She had never been one to press for answers, so she left it at that. Perhaps someone in the herd knew more of the statue.

Just as she was preparing to make an excuse and be on her way (for though the mare was quite adept at small talk herself, she struggled to coax others into it when they seemed this introverted), the stranger offered a question that sounded genuine. Pleased, Sohalia smiled and nodded. "I do," she confirmed. And what a skill it was, her metal crafting! If only she could keep it all the time, and not just at the Sun God's whim.

"It is..." How to describe it? Some metals were easier to work with than others, their natures determining their stubbornness. "... much like dealing with children. Some metals bend quite easily to be shaped as the crafter desires. Others are stubborn and resist all but the gentlest of nudges." She shrugged. Figuring out how to shape each metal was part of the art. "In that way it is challenging, more so than crystal, my other medium. Crystal is easy - it's just building a pattern, block by block. And what about stone?" she queried then. "I've always imagined that it would be fairly unyielding to mold."

"Talk talk talk."

Sohalia

@Isopia

Isopia

Isopia, who had no real experience with children, listened to Sohalia's metaphor with a sort of glazed expression. It wasn't that she was no longer actively listening, more that her level of comprehension was at an all time low. For Isopia, that was quite rare, and a seed of frustration bloomed in her mind. She'd never really considered children an asset before, but nor had she ever experienced her lack of association with them to be a hindrance on her mind.

Hmm, hmm, hmm.

Hearing that the Transcended could also craft with crystal was an interesting piece of information as well - crystal and metal ... surely very interesting structures could be created when the two were combined. Surely electrical circuits and the like?

As the dove inquired about Isopia's own crafting abilities, the mare merely shrugged. "I suppose it is as you say it is with crystal. Stones can be heated and formed somewhat, but they mostly serve as building blocks. They are not as easily to manipulate into new shapes as I assume metal would be." Then, with a sort of uncharacteristic bout of honesty, Isopia turned her quad-horned skull slightly inquisitively and asked, "Would you ever give it up? Crafting I mean. I have often wondered if my abilities might be better suited ... elsewhere." Falling silent, Isopia dove inside of herself to see if there was anything else she might add that was helpful. She knew that magic could be torn from the soul, and once it was healed, that a new magic might take its place. Isopia had been born with her abilities, there had never been a time where she could not craft and create with stonework.

But why? What was it for? Isopia used her abilities for mostly selfish reasons - this statue was one of the only altruistic creations she'd ever made. What was the point of manipulating stonework, and forcing it to heat the surrounding area?

Image by Tamme!
@Sohalia

Sohalia
Despite the Mountain’s queries, she did not seem to be satisfied with the answers she received, and Sohalia was left to wonder if it was herself or the stranger who was lacking. She had always considered herself to be fairly eloquent with words, and had never been presented with such an odd interaction before. Of course, the Transcended painted her words with emotion, whereas Isopia considered the world with a clinical detachment that was altogether foreign to her ivory companion. From an analytical perspective, it made sense that each of them was somewhat perplexed (if that was indeed the right word) by the other.

But Sohalia thought nothing of this, instead pausing to consider her words more carefully. Frustration was beginning to build, for she could not understand why having a discussion with this stranger, the creator of the beautiful statue, was so difficult. Surely as fellow crafters, they ought to have something in common? And they did, in truth, share a great deal: they were both terrible mothers in their own way, for example. But that was neither here nor there; it was just one more subject that would never be breached between the two of them, even as they became more acquainted later on.

”I’m not sure,” she answered the Mountain’s latest question with a thoughtful expression. ”I have been without crafting before. My ability to work metal comes and goes with the Sun’s whim, and even my crystal magic was granted to me after years of living without. But now… it’s so much a part of me that I’m not sure I would ever want to be without it. It’s been a steadfast comfort to me in some very trying times.” She shrugged. ”But then, I am not sure I would be of any use doing anything else. If I was different… perhaps my answer would be different.

“If you don’t mind my asking,”
she added then, curious, ”what would you do, if not crafting?”

"Talk talk talk."

Sohalia

@Isopia

Isopia

Isopia's headed nodded with understanding as Sohalia mentioned that part of her magic was given to her by the God of the Sun. And, like the pale dove, Isopia mentally added that fact to the list of ways in which the two were alike. Once upon a time Isopia too had magic given to her by the God of the Earth. It was very similar to her own, and yet she had noticed the loss when it was taken away from her (or rather, when she decided to finally give up the apperance of contributing to her herd, and take on a rank-given magic that would be used more selfishly).

And, as Sohalia had already realized, Sohalia's emotion-based response, ("...it has been a comfort to me..") did not really resonate with Isopia's rigid, analytical way of thinking. Sure, the demigoddess had built things which she liked - her hot tub for instance, or her hut. She'd also created things like the statue which they now stood next to, and other little trinkets. But had her magic ever been a comfort? No .. she didn't really think that it had been.

"Maybe one did you will be different." Isopia nearly-agreed, her words sounding prophetic, but only just.

Isopia didn't necessarily mind that Sohalia was asking, what she minded was having to answer. But, she was actually trying to make an effort to be better at conversing, and so instead of sighing and turning away, she tried to formulate an answer that she could articulate.

"Heal perhaps." She said at least, her golden eyes finding the bi-coloured gaze of Sohalia. It would be an interesting magic for one so detached from humanity to have. What motivations would Isopia have to heal, when it seemed as though she'd sooner be left entirely alone? Weren't healers normally empathetic outgoing creatures? "it is the strangest feeling to see someone injured and know that there is nothing in your power which can aid them." She continued. "I also have the feeling it would please my Father. Though his capacities are far greater than mine, and he has never had to choose between abilities. Though, he would probably opt for me to remove other magics that I possess, rather than my crafting ability." She concluded, almost sulkily. Very likely the Earth would, if he was asked, advise to get rid of her transformation abilities. Why hide? Why be veiled by another's body? Those would likely be his sorts of thoughts on the matter.

Image by Tamme!
@SohaliaShe

Sohalia
Would Sohalia want to be different, if given the chance? If she could go back to before, before Gaucho, before Helovia, even before her parents had died - would she trade all of the pain and the heartbreak for the unknown, even if it meant losing all of the joy and love, too? Would she watch her children fade into oblivion for the chance to avoid all of the loss that she had endured? If she'd never had them at all, then she wouldn't have to miss them when they were gone... and yet that felt hollow, somehow, a dim, dull kind of life that the Transcended would want no part of.

After all, her biggest strength had always been her broken heart.

But when she thought about how much she had changed since her arrival in Helovia, when she thought about all that she had loved and lost, the ivory dove realized that she had already changed. And perhaps that kind of difference was what Isopia referred to, the ability of the future to shape her personality. Perhaps, one day, Sohalia would no longer desire the ability to craft. Perhaps she would lend her abilities to the healers, or the spies, or perhaps even the warriors. Perhaps she would offer diplomacy to their leaders. No one knew what the future would bring, least of all the Transcended.

As the Mountain continued to speak (ending in a near-pout, surprising and amusing the pale lady to no end), Sohalia could not help but laugh softly. "Apologies - I could just see myself having such a conversation with one of my own children. Many of them were born with their own magical abilities, but if they ever wanted to change them, I would no doubt attempt to advise them on the matter. Of course, it is ultimately their decision. Most parents want only for their children to be happy, even if they do not take the path originally imagined."

"Talk talk talk."

Sohalia

@Isopia

Isopia

Though she would never voice these thoughts out loud, Isopia wasn't sure that Sohalia's parenting, however noble as it may be, would resemble anything even close to that which Isopia had experienced from her Father. After all, just job did not seem to be to love her, but instead to guide her along her destined path. She very much doubted that his concern was for her happiness (though in actuality, she was probably very wrong on this account).

"Perhaps.." Isopia offered ambiguously. Sohalia's words surely were true of some parents, perhaps even the majority of them, so why argue? Parenting - and in relation, her own parents - was not a topic of conversation that she enjoyed.

Feeling the awkward tug of a conversational lull, Isopia turned to glance over her shoulder. She had come to check on her statue, and with that task complete, she saw no more reason to remain here on the Dragon's Throat borders. Though she had found Sohalia's company more interesting than the majority of those that she met, the social anxiety she felt in situations such as these was still too strong for her to overcome.

"I should go." She mumbled, her amber eyes flashing back towards the dove briefly as her wings dropped from their folded position against her flanks. "Perhaps we will meet again." She offered, her pathetic attempt at some sort of invitation to become ... what? Friends? Acquaintances? Isopia didn't really know.

Figured this would be a good place to end, since we started this a million years ago <3

Image by Tamme!
@SohaliaShe