the Rift

Three wishes (Ktulu)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING
With the brisk chill of winter heavily upon all territories, Midas had been grounded in the Throat for nearly half the season. His wings couldn’t easily handle the frigid air and would quickly cake with ice if he dared travel to far north. Ice didn't fly. Word spread like a virius with nothing but borders to entertain those within a dull sandpit. He had caught the gossip of Ophelia and Ktulu retreating from Dragons throat and entering wild lands shortly after the battle. At first, the golden lad hadn’t shown the need to burden himself in matters that obviously didn’t concern him. As time worn on, the thoughts of his distant friends grew ever more present. He found himself wondering about them and admittedly he found attention drawn toward Ktulu and Hototo.

Again and again they pressed upon his mind. Finally, he decided that today was a good day to pay his old herd mates a visit; it was a brighter afternoon that promised warmer temperatures than previous. Honeyed orbs stared into the distant hills with a reserved stare. He used the excuse that, ‘taking time off from previous duties would be nice.’ Body flexed and jerked into a canter, a painted form darted from the oasis. Frame took off, roughly, forelimbs pushing cold sand with stern intent on getting airborne.

Weighted with the strands of his armor, flying took more effort and thus reduced his speed. Each strong pump was tripled in the number of downbeats. He crossed Thistle meadow and angled for darker slopes close by. It was almost laughable that by the time our golden stud had reached sweet smelling cedar and pine, breathing was coming in short quick gasps and the beginnings of sweat was flecking his sides. Gaze trailed the land below, slightly hopeful but expectant in not finding the singled creature he quested for. Plans already begun to form on landing and returning home.
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

Courage, Honor, Loyalty</style>
  there's a brotherhood between us. if you're not ready to give   everything you've already lost.</style>

The forest was dark even during the brightest parts of the day. That did not bother Ktulu, nor did the strange noises that could be heard during the night at times. The scents of predators lingering did not bother her either. She relished the isolation and the sheer wildness that was the forest, but there were times when her heart craved wide open spaces like the Thistle Meadow or even the Endless Blue. The dark mare had stepped from the forest, her little bear cub trailing behind her, fully intent on going to the meadow. From there she would more than likely head toward the Threshold to try and catch a few lingering souls and interest them in her group of mercenaries.

Sound overhead had the mare raising her head and gazing up toward the sky. She stopped and watched as a pegasus flew overhead. She recognized him, which eased Eytan's nervousness and led to the little bear rolling in the snow, grunting softly. What was Midas doing all the way out here when he should be in the Dragon's Throat? Her tail slapped against her haunches as she turned her body to continue watching the stallion.

"Midas!" She finally called out a few moments later. Whether or not the stallion would hear her was unknown. She had never flown before and wouldn't know if the wind in his ears would drown out her voice. If he kept flying she would just shrug it off and continue on her way as she had been before.

CREDITS

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING
He hadn’t been sure on where Ktulu might be resting, or even that she would be within the darkened timbers at all. It was simply a lucky guess and the limit to his flying radius. Icy winds kissed trails along his nerveless feathers, the muscles in his wings were tired; he would have to land soon. Gaze still searched below and saw white, green, white, green—each branch was full of snow, limiting his already pitiful advantage to flying. One would think being high in sky allowed him to see all—that was not necessarily so. Some things went past as a blur, while others simply couldn’t be measured through the thickness of cover below. Midas would find luck to be with him this day; he twisted sideways at an angle to make another loop.

Out of the corner of his right eye he beheld a curved unicorn emerging from the cover of trees, her body was graced with a deep ash color and a horn of the purest ivory; the tip dipped within a recognizing bloody flavor. His heart leapt forward, threatening to clog up labored breathing. Sliding down a notch he flew above and noticed that she followed his movements with similar recognition. The melody of her tones sampled his whistling ears, “Midas!” she called.

He couldn’t at this height tell if her tone was happy or not, either way; she had called, and he would respond. Leaning forward with forelimbs bent upon absorbing weight he landed swiftly in front of her at a distance and with his back to her. This landing was practiced perfection that he had just consciously aim for. It wouldn’t look very proper of him to collide headfirst into the snow. Seeing as how his muscles were already screaming their discomfort at such rude request he had forced them into. Folding feathers and turning, he walked the short distance between them and took the small lapse to steady his breathing, a smile ran across his face.

Gaze never left her frame, “Ktulu,” he called out, still breathless, “It lifts my heart to lay eyes on you again.” His attention momentarily left her and found the cub she had bonded with playing in the cold snow. It seemed they had some catching up to do. Eyes rose back to her, muzzle extended outward in greeting with hopes she would allow him a mere friendly touch in remembrance to their companionship. Without thinking he uttered fondly, “You’re as beautiful as ever.” Such a complement offered flattery, but he felt the tightening as the words exited lips. Would she think him to bold?

Courage, Loyalty, Honor</style>
  there's a brotherhood between us. if you're not ready to give up   everything you've already lost.</style>

Ktulu stood and watched as the pegasus began to descend and the closer he got to the ground the more she found herself at ease. "Odd." she thought, which had Eytan becoming still and watching her with his caramel eyes. The cub rolled to his feet and scuttled toward Midas. He traveled under the stallion then circled around before he plopped on the ground and began to play with Midas' tail. "He likes to play with tails." She explained briefly. "His name is Eytan."

Midas spoke then and his words caught Ktulu by surprise, though she was careful not to let it show on her face. Beautiful? She could snort at being called beautiful because she was nothing of the sort when compared to her sister. Of the two of them she felt that Ophelia was the beautiful one. She was pristine, all feminine curves and a soft voice to match whereas she, herself, was stocky with hard muscles and a hard voice to match. There was nothing even remotely beautiful about herself.

"Your eyes deceive you, Midas." Ktulu said, the corner of her moth quirking into a halfhearted grin. "How do you fare in the Throat?"

CREDITS

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING
A hidden twinge of disappointment followed when extended muzzle met nothing but cold air. The moment quickly passed leaving him with little choice for anything more than retraction; though all the while retaining a common smile of pure pleasantry as if the gesture had never been made. Her cub moved toward him and under, one black auditory swiveled back in curiosity. This forest child seemed fearless in his golden eyes; a trait he couldn’t have known that came from the calmness Ktulu felt when an easy presence such as his came to view. Attention continued to curiously follow said little brown ball of fur who had decided that lingering among his limbs was well—a good thing. Frame tensed instinctively when soft hide brushed against his rigid cannon. A snagging along his tail followed next, pulling at his buttocks.Experimentally he flicked hair side to side, neck craned at an angle to see little bear leap with its motions.

"He likes to play with tails.” One eye brow rose with warm humor flooding in. ‘You don’t say’, he thought, a soft chuckle following her matter of a fact statement. "His name is Eytan." A simple, yet fitting name. Midas swayed ivory back and forth, flicking it skyward in an attempt to confuse and further the game going on between Eytan and his rear. Jokingly he added, “As long as his play remains along my tail, and teeth don’t take fancy to becoming an ankle biter.” Smiling he turned back to Ktulu. The same careful features covered her real emotions to his slip of words, but a lingering half grin didn’t slide past a closer inspection.

“Your eyes deceive you, Midas.” Says the temptress of his nerve. He smiled away her comment, realizing that his words would do nothing to sway her. She might find ungodly reason to disagree, but Midas found her to be one of the most loveliest creatures walking their planet. He could count a thousand ways by which to mark Ktulu on grace and beauty. Quietly the lad murmured, “I pray lies strike me blind.” His words were so soft it would be a wonder if she even heard him.

A question followed, “How do you fare in the Throat?” the hint of his smile widened, “I fare like all the others, cold at night and restraining from stringing a curse to empty sun come morning.” Their home had fallen into harder times this year, the elements seemed against them; all he could do was pray for a swift end followed by a blooming spring, “Nothing has really changed, days have been quiet since the battle….” He trailed off, a flicker of memories tightening throat. In his youth Midas had once dreamed that his first battle would be filled with glory and a sense of triumph, yet, whenever the thought came to mind he felt nauseous. Forcing past a frown that deepened tired lines across his face he asked, “What about you?”

there's a brotherhood between us. if you're not ready to give up   everything you've already lost.</style>

Ktulu allowed her expression to become amused when Midas began to humor Eytan and allow him to play with his tail. It led her to thinking that it was a good trait and that he would be a good father whenever that time came around. The dark mare blinked, her expression sobering as the realization and full impact of the thought came around. Why was she even thinking about what Midas would be like as a father? That was stupid and it was not the purpose of their meeting. She said nothing when the stallion joked about the little bear becoming an ankle biter, though she should have welcomed the distraction.

"I pray lies strike me blind."

"Careful what you pray for." She finally spoke. Subconsciously she lifted her head and straightened her body, making herself appear taller and feel more in control. "What use is a blind warrior?" Again, she was denying what he thought was beautiful.

Thankfully the conversation moved to a less trivial and uncomfortable matter. He gave little information about the Throat, which made Ktu only want to bulldoze ahead and ask questions she had no business asking now. She would make for a lousy spy, with her lack of tact and patience. "I am fine." She answered Midas. "I live here with my sister and several other outcasts. I find it more comfortable than living in the Throat."

CREDITS

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING
“I am fine,” she uttered, though tone seemed cool to him. Gaze softened and traveled across delicate facial features, golden pits in obvious need of reassurance. She did appear physically and even emotionally, ‘fine,’ but he couldn’t help to wonder, was she honestly as strong on the outside as within? His attempts at seeing past composure were in vain; this man could see nothing beyond what she showed readily him, he simply could not read into her like others. It was frustrating really. Never had he spent so much time with a woman and still knew so little about her.

“I live here with my sister and several other outcasts. I find it more comfortable than living in the Throat.”

The reason behind her and Ophelia leaving was never clear, perhaps because he purposely stayed away from politics. Reasons had already passed judgment, it no longer mattered why. Only…. Midas closed his eyes and turned face toward darkened forest behind her, “The herd lost two great warriors when your steps changed path, neither can be replaced—I….” orbs opened, and he paused.

“I miss you.”

Pushing a small smile frontward he pretended like the beat in voice had never changed, “I have a child now, Cera—he was orphaned just before the settling of Frostfall,” the mental image of his spirited son fluttered through inner mind. Just talking about him lightened the tone of vocal, “Your young one should be ready for flight come warmer weather; is he in need of a teacher?” Assuming that Hototo’s flight feathers were coming in as normal, her child should be ready for a lesson or two when spring finally did return.

Ktulu frowned at the mention of two great warriors falling shortly after she and her sister had left the Throat. Her mind first went to Azzuen, the first pegasus she had met after running from Isilme. She still wore his feather in her mane and still considered it a token of friendship despite her leaving the very home he had welcomed her to. "Azzuen?" She asked. "Is he okay or was he one of them?" Despite her calm outward appearance her heart thundered in her chest out of fear that a friend could be dead. Eytan picked up on his bonded's discomfort and anxiety and abandoned his play with Midas' tail and returned to her.

For some reason unknown to her, her anxiety increased when Midas mentioned having a child. Had she been gone that long? That anxiety was lessened when the stallion revealed that the child had been an orphan and was not actually a child from his own bloodline. Why did she feel relieved?

Before she could really contemplate that the conversation shifted to Hototo. "He will be ready to fly soon." She agreed. "Unfortunately I have no wings and cannot teach him myself. I have hopes that his father might, but the gods are always busy, it seems. But yes, he is in need of a teacher. I don't wish for him to learn on his own."

CREDITS

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING
Her reaction changed without dramatics, but it still changed. The air between them went from relaxed calm to a quicker nerve. Frowning, he wondered what had caused such anxiety. Surely it hadn’t been him? Quiet patience was rewarded with the source of her faint displeasure, "Azzuen?" she questioned somberly, followed by, "Is he okay or was he one of them?” Midas couldn’t help it, the lines on his fatherly face tightened ever so slightly and velvet senses twisted back as a hot rush of bitter emotion flooded his system. This emotion had a title he was unwilling to commit to. Did his friend think so little of herself that she was unable to accept complement? Or had his words truly been so unclear? Finally, he questioned why she had first thought of Azzuen? Did his ebony overseer have meaning to her?

The fledgling general took a quick moment to think over what had been said, before realizing how his words might have sounded to her ears. Trying to recertify and place both on the same page he uttered softly, “You misunderstand Ktulu,” inhale deeply taken steadied thoughts, vocals continued on exhale, “We did lose a warrior—Jaydan, he passed to be with our forefathers during a recent battle.”

Jaw tightened when the word, “Jaydan,” fell from his lips, it felt a little uncomfortable talking about the dead. More so when death was associated with war, heart still grieved for the blue avian soldier, “Azzuen is doing well. But, the spirits I spoke of was yourself and Ophelia; though you never served in the solider rank, you both were strong warrior souls for the Throat.” Skull fell forward and gaze dropped to the ground, “Forgive me, for my meaning being unclear.” Sentence ended with apologetic notes, leaving him to wonder if she thought him to be a foolish lad; since in this moment he felt foolish indeed. She had answered his question about Hototo, remembering this Midas added, “If our lord does not appear for the first of his lessons come spring, I can teach both of our children how to ride the back of the wind.”

Ktulu's brow furrowed at Midas' explanation. She didn't understand. He'd spoken of losing two warriors, but then only named Jaydan whom Ktulu had no emotional attachment to aside from indifference. "If Azzuen is doing well then who else did you lose?" His answer came shortly after her question, which left Ktulu standing in silence. She hadn't even ascended to the rank of warrior when she had been in the Throat, mostly because she hadn't been happy there. How could he even count her as a warrior?

"You speak in riddles, Midas." She said quietly. She didn't understand why he was singing her praises now when they had hardly spoken before she'd aided him with his quest. "But your view on myself and my sister as warriors is flattering." It was a good thing flattery didn't work so well on her as it did other mares.

"I would be grateful." She said when Midas offered to teach Hototo how to fly. "I could not think of anyone more trustworthy to teach my son." Aside from his father, but she understood that the Earth God had prior engagements to attend to, which was why she didn't expect him to show for the lessons. She only had hope that he would. "What would you expect in return for your services?"

CREDITS

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING
“This is foolish”, he thought. Why was he even here? Allowing fruitless words to fall from lips, words that would land upon a stone and sprout nothing of reward; he was beginning to feel like a stumbling youthful colt, instead of adult. “I would be grateful.” She said. He glanced up at her, leveling eyes into the depth of her blood colored pupils, “I could not think of anyone more trustworthy to teach my son,” words to warm his body. For her to trust him with a son of his lord—well that was the greatest complement he had ever received in short experience. Lips twitched, and then curved in their familiar charming way, “What would you expect in return for your services?”

This question somehow tickled his humorous side. A short chuckle rumbled past reserve, throat vibrating with tenor words sliding past, “I expect nothing,” his heart spoke more idle words that he chose to keep in a vault, “Though,” swallowing to retain a perfect façade of calm he finished, “If malady would allow it—this humble man would like to see you again sometime, after this visit concludes?”

Ktulu wasn’t one to be rushed, and he wasn’t in any hurry. Midas would never be one to lull away from a challenge, and she stuck him in a way that no other creature had. It was in that moment that he realized—“I want to see you again…I want to walk with you along the beach and let our bond strengthen” Fate had set them apart; each lived in totally different environments now. He tied to the heart of Helovia, and she in the belly of their common beast.

He didn't wish for anything in return? Ktulu found that very surprising because in her life she'd found nearly everyone to be greedy. She even had a touch of greed from time to time, there was no one that was immune to it. Her eyes narrowed slightly as she looked at Midas, wondering why he would help her and not expect a favor in return.

Midas spoke again, catching Ktulu by surprise. "I knew you wanted something." Her head tilted slightly causing her pale mane to fall over her blood red eyes. The tone of her voice was not accusatory, but knowing. The hint of a smirk pulled at her lips before it was gone again.

"You know where I live now, Midas." She reminded the General. "Anytime you wish to see me you only need to come to the forest and search me out." Chances were she would find him before he found her. Eytan was helpful because he spotted plenty in his runs through the trees. "Is that all?"

CREDITS

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING
"I knew you wanted something."

Sheepishly he smiled at her, returning that little smirk with an approving beam. Both of them knew that nothing in their world came free; but his request could have been easily turned down, and he would have remained true to word given. It was the least he could do for all that she had offered him through questing travels. Ktulu gave her permission for him to come back again, in her own way. Finding joy in this he quietly chuckled when she asked, “Is that all?”

“Yes, that is all.” The general responded strongly. It was more than enough, “I will come back when birdsong arrives, to train Hototo in Thistle meadow.” Promise made and date set, another reason to hope for a swift return of warmer weather. Would she look forward to this as much as he? Other topics lingered in thoughts, he had questions but felt awkward wanting to pry into her personal life, “Is there anything I can do you for you?” Midas felt like a lot of his tongue was lost in this conversation; she made him feel foolish for wanting to speak and mum for wanting to simply bask in the quiet.