the Rift

Waiting for a Change

Asteria Posts: 6
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 3
Viola
The dark mare plodded along, her heavy grey hooves dragging slightly through the soft ground. She had been walking for what seemed like eons and couldn't recall the last time she had stopped to rest. She didn't even care anymore. She'd been walking for this long; what was another few minutes? The air was cool and blew her forelock gently into her chocolate eyes. She noticed the ground getting softer underneath her with more dirt and less harsh rocks. She'd been wandering through deserted lands for the last few weeks. She didn't even have a certain destination in mind - she had just let her own intuition pull her in this direction. Which was where exactly? She almost snorted at herself acting so stupid. In the past year of wandering and living as an outcast, she had always been on the wary side-never straggling into suspicious open territories where she knew she was likely to come across rogue bands. She usually always had a specific direction in mind, or plan. She'd follow the good weather, stray away from herds she scented on the wind, and find good grazing grounds by herself, always being wary to stay away from others. She was terrified of straying across the "wrong group of stallions" as her mother used to put it. At the thought of her homeland, her chest tightened with sadness. She shook her head and pushed away intruding thoughts. This would not do now. She was wandering into unknown territory and her guard had to be kept up.

The trees were becoming more dense; she pricked her ears, straining to catch any sounds. The only thing to be heard was the occasional bird and the whispering breeze through the thinning foliage that came with the season. She didn't know what had made her come in this direction, but she had just felt a pull. It had felt right. Now she wasn't so sure. How could this place not be inhabited by other creatures? The smell of pine and earth flooded her senses, yet she didn't detect any other scent to show of danger. Her muscles started to tense and she became more worried. She had to admit this place seemed beautiful - her previous wanderings had been through almost barren lands with not a lot of trees and coverage; mostly dirt and hard grounds. Here, the trees surrounded her, becoming more and more dense the farther she walked. Golden sunlight flickered through the branches casting dancing shadows across her path. Yet she she still had an odd feeling settling over her.  She couldn't quite place it. Still, she continued on, determined to finally find a place to rest.

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow
V O L T E R R A

He usually leaves his dragons behind whenever he comes to the Threshold; he is concerned that their presence might terrify any potential recruitees who are unused to the fearsome scaled beasts, making them less likely to join Volterra to the Throat. In his opinion, any horse who dislikes dragons should not be welcomed in his herd, but he has to remind himself that it is not his herd. He cannot decide who is allowed entry - it is simply his job to try and bring home as many as possible.

So he is alone as he prowls through the forest, a blackened tower of muscle and brawn who treads these paths like he does it every day. Without the dragons to scout above the trees, the stallion is forced to use his own senses to pick up the presence of nearby horses. Finally his flared nostrils detect the aroma of mare, and he alters his path towards her. He doesn't just favour mares because he thinks there is a chance he will be able to bed them in the future - he just finds them easier to talk to than men, although he knows he needs to fill his warrior ranks with strong stallions at some point.

He prowls closer until the woman is in sight, and takes a moment to assess her. Black - the best colour to be, of course - and powerfully-built, with a curved horn. "Hello," he rumbles; he attempts to keep his voice higher-pitched and calmer than usual so as not to appear too daunting to this mare, but it is impossible to keep the gravelly, masculine rasp out of his tones. "My name is Volterra, Gladiator of the Dragon's Throat herd. Is it safe to assume that you are looking for a home?" He fixes her with his penetrating red gaze.

image credits

@Asteria Welcome to Helovia! :)

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Outcast
Viola
The mare continues through the trees, having no clue as to when to stop and find a place to rest. There are more leaves and pine needles scattering the ground now, and the light feathering around her hooves start to pick them up. Small twigs are twisting around the fur and some have found ways to poke into her skin. She doesn't stop to shake them out now, she knows she must keep moving forward until she is satisfied that there are no dangers to her here. Her muscles have started to ache slightly as she has never walked this far without resting.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, "Hello". Every muscle in her body tenses and she feels adrenaline shooting through her veins. She needs to make a split second decision. Stay and defend herself, or flee? "My name is Volterra, Gladiator of the Dragon's Throat herd. Is it safe to assume that you are looking for a home?" The voice is low and slightly rough, most likely a stallion. She spins around to face the stranger, her heart hammering against her chest as if it were trying to jump out of her. Her breath catches in her throat as she takes in his sheer size. He looks to be at least a hand taller than her and she has to look up to see his face. He is black just like she, except there is a broad white blaze over his face. She notices his huge muscular build and she knows that if a fight is started, she is most likely going to lose. Blood red eyes stare into hers and she realizes that she has never seen anyone like him before. Suddenly she remembers that he asked her a question. Wait, he said something about a herd?! Her brain has frozen. Trying to look and sound as confident as she can, she stands tall and pricks her ears up.

"Hello. Yes, I am looking for a home. My name Asteria." She pauses as she hears her own voice for the first time in months. It cracks a little from misuse. What is this Dragon's Throat? Her body is still tense from surprise, and she can feel the blood racing in her veins. She is ready to flee if need be.

OOC: Thank you!:)

Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow
V O L T E R R A

His size and imposing appearance is almost always useful. Daunting and solid, it can win him a fight before it's even begun through sheer intimidation. But when he is attempting to recruit, he half-wishes he could shrink himself, so as to appear more friendly and less, well...fearsome. He tries to compensate by keeping his ears rammed forward and his face friendly, but he knows that his attempts at looking un-frightening do little to numb the fact he is still a monstrous, red-eyed behemoth, usually accompanied by a pair of dragons just to add to his overall scary air.

At least the dragons are absent today, he thinks.

She introduces herself as Asteria, and confirms that she is looking for a home. "Welcome to Helovia, Asteria," he rumbles, dipping his massive head in what he hopes is a friendly nod of greeting. "The Dragon's Throat is one of four herds in these lands. It is the southernmost territory, and consists of a large island joined to the mainland by a magical bridge." He does not mention the overpowering summer heat - he has all but forgotten about that now there is a pleasant autumn breeze blossoming around it, lessening the searing discomfort of Tallsun.

After a pause to glance at her, he continues. "We are going through a period of transition at the moment after our long-time leader passed away, however our new queen is both competent and able." A small smile flutters across the scarred planes of his face as he thinks of Sikeax - how she has risen in his estimations since their first meeting all those years ago! "If you are interested, you would be more than welcome to make the Throat your home." The beast looks back to her, idly flicking an ear as a fly attemps to land on it.

image credits

@Asteria

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]

Outcast
Viola
As soon as she had told Volterra she was looking for a new home, she began doubting herself. How could she have just made a rash decision without thinking it over? In her initial fear of the stallion she hadn't been thinking clearly. Wasn't the whole reason she had left her birth herd to live on her own for a few years, not worry about commitment, and find herself? Ever since her little sister's untimely death, she had a certain darkness hanging over her she just couldn't shake. Leaving her homeland had felt somehow right. She didn't think she could face living there and waking up every day being reminded that she didn't have a sibling. She was supposed to be secluding herself, learning how to survive on her own, and trying to forget her past.

She is dragged out of her thoughts as Volterra begins describing his herd, the Dragon's Throat. He says something about there being 4 herds total, and she realizes how huge this land must be. Looking back on the past year, she hadn't made any lasting friends; her only contact with creatures like herself had been through strained short conversations with other outcasts. She would go for weeks without talking at all, and she realized she could forget the sound of her own voice. The outcast life was pretty lonely, so why not try out this living with a herd thing again? Perhaps she could find use for herself after all. Her heart felt like it was being torn in half. The whole reason why she had left herd life was to avoid the pain that came with losing those she was close with.

She was surprised as she heard herself say Yes, I would love to make Dragon's Throat my home. What is this magical bridge you speak of?"

@Volterra

V O L T E R R A

He is just as surprised as her when she agrees to join, although a blossom of euphoria buds in his chest. He did it. His first recruit, one large mental block overcome. Hopefully this will help prove to the herd that Sikeax has not made a foolish mistake in inviting the blackened leviathan into the Throat as their Gladiator - he has accomplished something outside the battlefield, something far harder than any fight he's participated in.

"Excellent," he rumbles, and begins to walk at a slow plod. A gesture of his head asks the mare to follow, so he may lead her back to their home. "The bridge is enchanted so it only appears to those with special keys. Pegasi, of course, can simply fly to the island, however us wingless folk must rely on the keys in order to gain entry." It is one hell of a security measure, and a very successful one at that. Invading forces would need to either swim or fly towards the island, unless they'd obtained a Throat key by force. Either way, it gives the Throat a huge advantage against invaders, something the war-minded Volterra greatly approves of.

As they walk, the giant looks down to Asteria. "Tell me about yourself, Asteria. Where are you from? Is there any particular area you excel at? As Gladiator, it is my job to marshal the warriors of the herd, however we also have entire ranks dedicated to healers, crafters, and spies." The beast tries to get to know these other ranks when he can, so he is not simply a two-dimensional warrior. Healers, he knows, can be just as important as soldiers when it comes to the battlefield.

image credits

@Asteria

Feel free to make a thread in the Throat once her rank is changed! We can carry on this one as well if you want :)

Outcast
Viola
As the huge stallion begins to walk and gestures her to follow, she only hesitates slightly before proceeding to walk up next to him. Her heart is now pounding with excitement rather than fear as she realizes what this all means. She's going to finally, finally going to have a home! Although she had liked living as an outcast, this new prospect made her happier than she had been in a very long time. In fact she couldn't recall the last time she had felt this way. As Volterra explains the magical bridge to her, she becomes more and more entranced by this new land. Magic? Although she had heard rumors and the passing down of stories and lore about magic, she had never really considered that it could be very real. She had never not believed in it- she had just never really thought about it. Well, I guess it'll soon be time for me to find out about all of this. She had to refrain herself from springing a thousand more questions on him.

Volterra asks her what she excels at, and she pauses. At the mention of warriors, she is instantly transported back to when she was a few months old and her father started showing her some small fight maneuvers and other tricks and tips of defending herself. Her mother however, was always unhappy with this and didn't like the fact that her precious daughter was learning to fight. She wanted her to become a healer. But Asteria was having none of it. She appreciated and admired healers, they were so patient and talented. She just didn't have the temperment or patience for it. She wanted to always be out in the action. She continued being trained by her father and was excelling. As she became almost 2 years old, however her mother put an end to it. She didn't want her daughter in harms way. So she stopped training. It was only a few weeks after that that she had left the herd.

The talking stallion brings her back to the present, out of her thoughts. He is waiting for an answer. What does she say? She's been out of practice for over a year-what if she doesn't remember how to be a warrior? What if she had forgotten everything? What if they kicked her out because she was no good? Well, I still have to try! "I am a warrior. Before coming to this land a good amount of moons ago, I was trained to fight. I may be little rusty but I think if you give me a chance, I could pick it up again very quickly."

@Volterra

V O L T E R R A

They walk, and the goliath alters his path in order to lead them the fastest way back to the Throat. It is quite a trek, but he knows the way by memory now. For the first time, he ponders over what will happen when he returns to the herd with their newest addition - will he be met with adulation, or boredom? Volterra prays that there will be some interest in his first recruit, that the herd might start taking notice of their newest Gladiator instead of treating him with contempt for the crime of not having wings.

The thinly-veiled racism reminds him of his father, and he tries to smother the thought with as much force as he can muster.

Asteria speaks, and the stallion's ears prick with interest as she reveals a desire to be a warrior. He finds his gaze travelling across her, using his most dispassionate gaze - looking at what could make her a fighter, not the curves and muscles blessed upon every woman that usually incite such a primitive and natural reaction from him. She looks strong enough, sturdy and with foot-feathers reminiscent of some of Volterra's half-draft children, and his subtle appraisal of her finds her satisfactory. Yes, she could make a fine soldier with some training. "Excellent - we need more warriors." This is just an assumption because he hasn't actually formally met with the warriors he does have, but the more the merrier! "Once you are settled in to herd life, I would be happy to spar with you and judge your abilities. I'm sure your training will come flooding back once you are on the battlefield again." Even if he goes weeks between battles, the second his opponent comes charging at him, his memory simply clicks into place. It is instinctual, primal, beautiful.

After a few moments in silence as he negotiates a particularly irksome patch of thorns (he wishes Vadir was nearby to incinerate them for him), he looks back to Asteria. "Have you any other talents?" Perhaps she is a healer as well as a warrior, or perhaps she possesses hidden magic running through her veins.

image credits

@Asteria

Outcast
Viola
As they continue forward Volterra suddenly shifts the direction they're walking in. Without any hesitation, she follows fluidly by his side. All her previous fear of the huge stallion has drained out her and she is only filled with excitement. The land around them hasn't  changed a lot since they've been moving. Trees still surround them on all sides and she can't help but wonder how many times Volterra has made this journey. His step never hesitates. They have been walking for quite a ways now and she wonders just how far away this Dragon's Throat is. How would she act when she finally arrived? What if the herd leader didn't like her, or didn't accept her for some reason? Forcefully, she pushes those thoughts out of her head. Worrying and overthinking this would do her no good.

As Volterra answers her response, she is filled relief. He thought that her training would come back and even offered to spar with her! The thought of finally being able to train again filled her with an intense hope. She couldn't wait to get back to the excitement, action, and the feeling of adrenaline pumping through her veins. He then asks her if she has any talents, and she pauses. Even though she had not wanted to be a healer as a youngster, her mother had still made her stand around, observe and learn a thing or two about healing. Well, she had learned a bit more than that. She could recite all the healing plants that could cure different ailments and could tell poisonous plants apart from the others. "Well, I'm not a healer, but my mother was. When I was very young, she taught me parts of her healing ways and I can remember many of the lessons she gave me."

@Volterra