the Rift

"free agent" is just another term for "loser"

Mercutio Posts: 12
Absent Abyss atk: 3.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3 :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Laine
He moved through the threshold of this new land in the same rambling, aimless way had crossed every land for years. With no goals to speak of, no needs but physical ones that could be satisfied most anywhere, Mercurio had made himself an expert in not sticking in one place for too long. He wasn’t a loner, not really… He enjoyed the company of other horses quite a bit; the talk, the distraction, the buzz, was something he craved as much as anyone, but after a certain period of time they would start making demands and having expectations… It was a failing in him (though he would say he was being realistic) that at first sign of any emotional depth, and settling of ones roots, he would shy away like a spooked colt. To Mercutio, it was just saving the trouble, the hurt, to pack it in early and leave long before a relationship or situation could turn sour. He believed they all would in the end, and it would inevitably be his fault.

The grullo giant would be the first to call himself a fuck-up. He could easily trace every bad thing that had ever happened to a point where he had caused it whether it was true or not. Of course, nothing bad had happened in years but that was because he never allowed for the possibility of anything truly good. He had it in him to be good; to be happy and content and kind and loyal and useful but he also had the self-awareness of a nebulous black hole. It was even a mark of his potential for selflessness, that he pulled away for the sake of others, because they didn't deserve to be dragged down by him. Public service announcement: it a kid hears they're not worth shit enough times, eventually they'll believe it. Sometimes the'll never learn any better, never try to.

Mercutio's thoughts were a less grim than the reality of his existence (like I said, lack of self-awareness) and he rolled through the cool afternoon under a canopy of changing leaves in search of his next entertainment. To his mind the would was how it was, and there was no sense in getting his nose out of joint because of it. To be entertained for the short term was the best he could hope for and he was content with that. The sun was out, the air was crisp, and he had a new trail to walk down and so he went where his legs led him. There was an easy athleticism to his movements, and his size gave him a certain gravitas. In the shifting sea of leaves all turning to reds and oranges and browns, the deep blueish hue stood out against the landscape. It was a fine place to be...for now anyway.
Oh, and while the king was looking down—
the jester stole his thorny crown
Mercutio

Image Credit

Zyanya Posts: 70
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.1 hh :: VI
Tai
I paced the places and the hallways where we'd meet
hoping one day you'd come my way and sweep me off my feet.
The trees covered themselves in a shroud of chill autumn air and vibrant colors.  Amid the flurry, the rage of yellow and orange in the branches of the forest appears a girl.  Her figure is one that is laced in pale tones, muted and modest, a stark contrast the the lively forest about her.  With the tones of pale gold and pastel blues, she appeared like daybreak on a cold, cloudless morning.  With poise trained into her step, a noble lineage evident in the posture and gait of her leisurely stroll.

While weaving the paths of the well traveled forest, her lilac eyes fix upon the scenery.  Autumn remained one of Zyanya's favorite times of the year.  With the moderate temperatures and the painted display of the trees, the whole earth seemed in celebration - one last hooray before the quiet of winter settled in.  Today, her goal had been to wander amid the forest, soaking in the beauty, with no particular direction.  Since arriving in Helovia, the girl, once quite the homebody, had grown an urge to stretch her legs and expand her soul.  Instead of being a quiet wallflower with little purpose, she strove to be something more, someone worthwhile.

She had grown much in her time here, but she still had a lot to learn.

Because of her wandering gaze and mind, the stallion is quite close before she even notices his presence.  This in itself is certainly a feat - the brute standing tall and burly, especially when compared to the tiny porcelain doll that is Zyanya.  The movement of an understated blue through a sea of orange manages to finally draw her attention away from the display of the woods.  Her pauses, her lavender eyes growing wide and doe-like, turning in his direction with purpose.  "Hello!" she calls out across the distance, between the trees, before attempting to close the gap between them.

A smile, warm and brighter than the summer sun, lights her face, framed by the full waterfall of her mane.  "I am Zyanya of the Aurora Basin.  Are you new to Helovia?" her voice is dainty, ringing like a small silver bell in the cool air - a perfect match for one so small.

""

ooc -- do you want to be tagged? :)
even if you're lost you can't lose the love because
it's in your heart

Magic & Force allowed, barring permanent changes or death.

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit
Cera & Ilaria
And how you were so gentle with my heart
Just as you always are

With Gaucho's death looming on the horizon of his conscious thoughts, the Golden Prince sought distraction elsewhere. Even the rolling sands and dunes could not comfort him this time, not when they reminded him so dearly of Gaucho. So he fled the borders, Ilaria curled like a scarf around his withers. There were so many options for him that day; harvest more metal from the earth, seek out Ranjiri, perhaps find or craft a bauble for his beautiful daughter. Whether any of that would be accomplished could wait until after a real duty, however. 

Patrolling the Threshold had never been one of Cera's greatest strengths. While he was kindly and had vast information to supply those who sought to choose between the Wilds and the herdlands, Cera had never been good with introductions. On the sands of the Throat, where he knew his place, his environment, and his own importance, such issues dissolved into naught but dust. But trying to prove himself competent in the face of a stranger who knew nothing of the Throat much less of him...

It was daunting for the at times awkward Prince. 

Nevertheless as he heard a voice through the autumn trees, he went. It was his duty, after all, if not to the Throat then to himself. He could not stand to leave them stranded, newly arrived and often disoriented. Even at the price of his own fumbling pride. 

As he approached through the brambles he stumbled, nearly falling straight into the pale dame speaking to who was presumably the newcomer. Face hot and Ilaria laughing at him in his head her murmured a soft apology to the woman before he cast his emerald eyes to the tall stranger. 

Oh no, he's hot.

Ilaria's laughter turned into outright guffaws at his unbidden thought, little squeaks escaping her fuzzy maw. Cera's face heated ever more. 

"W-Welcome to Helovia," he fumbled for a second before his light voice rang out. "My name is Cera, and this is Ilaria," he motioned to the smug red panda peering from his shoulder, smiling shyly. "May we explain anything for you about this land?" He inclined his head slightly towards the unknown Basin mare, assuming she would not mind the inclusion if she was here to help the stranger as well. 

Table | Image Credits
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!

Laine
As lovely as the colors of orangemoon were, Mercutio was always a little saddened to see them; they foretold tho coming of frostfall, and though the cyclical seasons could always be relied upon to come and go in their own due time, the stud found that one to be a particular bother. It wasn’t so much the cold he despised, that with his thick blood he could handle well enough but there was something about the world under a blanket of snow that was too quiet, to lonely for his liking. No, he much preferred the chirp of birdsong, the thrum of tallsun and the rustle of orangemoon, anything with life and noise and vitality; he’d never been able to handle stillness, it was too easy to feel lonesome when all around you was quiet.

A voice calls out to him, bright and merry, through the trees and his easy smile breaks across his face at the sound. broad hooves grind themselves to a halt, sending the pointed stone at his throat swinging on it’s silver chain. It’d been a while since his last sighting of another living soul and he wouldn’t mind the company, especially if it came in the form of the sweet looking mare coming towards him.

She was a tiny thing, but pretty as a gem with a voice to match and he sent her a broad smile. ”It's a pleasure, Zayanya. Though by Helovia you must mean heaven for as I live and breath here’s an angel before me.” His voice was deep, forming slowly from his chest into a relaxed tone. There wasn’t any guile in his voice, no motive in the compliments he doled out unless to see a pretty face smile and where was the harm in that. He’d never had an issue with being charming, it came naturally and as it never did any harm he didn’t see why not. He would have sent the little doll of a mare a wink to(thinking it would make her smile) but before he did someone was crashing through the brush and nearly knocking into her. Mercurio, tensed, ready to step in but the pegasus righted himself and murmured an apology and so the unicorn let himself easy back to his friendly greetings.

The new stallion was a strange study in contrasts: tall and handsome, a pristine creature of white and gold but slashed across the chest with a scar he would have though more suited to a grizzled old warrior. The wings were a novelty too, not unheard of where he’d come from but rare enough he’d only met around half a dozen pegasai in his life. “Ah! But here’s another angel, and a winged one at that! It’s my pleasure to make your acquaintance Cera—and you, Miss Ilaria. ” and it was Cera that got the roguish wink his appearance had forestalled. “I am Mercutio,” He said with a gallant bow to his trio of welcomers. “As you’ve both welcomed me so graciously, I can only assume that Helovia is where we are, but I’m afraid beyond that I am a complete novice.” He grinned down at Zayanya, “I do believe you said something about a Basin, i tack it that’s part of this Helovia too?”

Mercutio

Image Credit

No tagging is fine, easy to keep track when he's only got one thread going :)

Zyanya Posts: 70
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.1 hh :: VI
Tai
I paced the places and the hallways where we'd meet
hoping one day you'd come my way and sweep me off my feet.
A grin paints his face, dissolving the remaining doubts about character or intent.  Zyanya often felt nervous in her approach of strangers, quite unable to feel at ease in the gaze of another.  Something about the charm in that expression made her heart flutter, yet her body relax.  The words doled out are ones that remind her of home, with flowery compliments arranged in every conversation.

Despite never having chosen a suitor, in the old world she had many.  Zyanya simply never understood love or even lust.  Many of the men flocking to her side were not drawn to the beauty of her figure, for it had been common among the noble class for delicate frames painted in various pale tones, but to her promising social stature.  While not a King, her father had been well respected in the community.  Through all three of his daughters, there had been a never ending line of males trying to claw their way into that position.  Unfortunately for them, the two elder sisters never agreed to marry (a union full of pompery and celebration yet no substance).

The gleam of her smile dwindles slightly, being reminded of the home she had been forced to leave and all the buffoons she graciously spoke with.  She knew that this stallion had no such intention, being little more than a peasant in this realm.  The dainty mare found she enjoyed the quiet life of someone without social standing.  Before she could correct him, set him straight in his attempts to charm and allure her (even if it were not his conscious choice), the figure of another stumbling, fumbling, nearly crashing into her body sets her face alight with fear.

With a surprising amount of poise for the unexpected event, she sidesteps widely, ears flattening on her skull.  Her eyes, bewildered and wide, reveal no malice.  Bright vibrant eyes like summer grasses peek up from below golden lashes, with a murmured apology half-offered before his attention is turned to her company.  Zyanya is incredulous, once her heart resumes its normal pace, never having been brushed off in such a rude manner.  This would mark the second time she had seen a pegasus up close, which might also be adding to the confusion pooling about her head.

Regardless, all her training from back home goes into placing a smile, less genuine and far more timid, upon her face.  She said she would always be kind, and that she was always honest.  Let's see how she manages it now.

Mercutio introduces himself to Cera, the boy who nearly sent her to the ground.  The gallant stallion before them puts on the graceful show of a bow, reminding her evermore of her former home and her heart catching in her throat for a moment.  Tears, arriving rather unbidden, flow to the surface of her lilac eyes, but do not break loose after much effort to control the emotions as this stallion's actions tug on memories and her heart strings.

"Yes, Mercutio," her voice comes out roughly, though still small, when he addresses her with a question.  "'Tis one of the four herdlands within Helovia."  Rexanna had only recently given her the names and general locations of the rest.  "The Basin is nestled safely in the arms of the mountains to the North."  Her head glances over her shoulder, presumably Northwest, though her sense of direction had never been that great.

""
even if you're lost you can't lose the love because
it's in your heart

Magic & Force allowed, barring permanent changes or death.

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit
Cera & Ilaria
And how you were so gentle with my heart
Just as you always are

Cera's fumbling seems to put him at odds with the glacial dame, and his ears flick down in an apologetic expression as she does not respond to his quiet apology. Nonetheless they are both here for a reason, and he can't help it if the newcomer is simply so...attractive. His internal thoughts are in general chaos, trying to figure out why he's feeling this way, what it possibly means. He'd never had a proper upbringing regarding sexuality, considering Midas had not taken a lover until he'd abandoned the Throat and he'd never had any close relationships with females aside from his sister and Sikeax. He wasn't even aware that it was "supposed to be" stallions with mares, and yet he still found himself confused. He had not felt this way his night with Sikeax, the action inspired more by a desire to feel less lonely and to comfort her than anything lustful or sexual. 

But as the handsome, charming fellow turned his golden, beautiful eyes towards Cera, the boy could not help but drop his own gaze and shuffle his hoof shyly. Ilaria preened beneath the title he awarded her, and Cera lifted his eyes only for them to widen as the flirtatious man winked at him. His wings came forth to embrace himself, his entire body hot and nervous as he smiled shyly, completely embarrassed by such a forthright display. "T-Thank you, Mercutio," he managed to fumble, not wanting to seem completely inept in the face of the only romantic notion he had ever been presented with, even if it was entirely playful. 

Zyanya's wavering voice is ample distraction and Cera clutches it almost desperately, wanting to escape the sensations he had never experienced before if only for a little while, lest he become overwhelmed and go bolting off into the forest. "Are you alright?" he asks softly, brow crinkled in sincere concern. He did not lift his voice very loudly, if only to try and give her the illusion of privacy, but surely Mercutio was still privy to the inquiry. But she is strong, soldiering on for the sake of imparting knowledge upon the handsome man. Cera turns his gaze away from her wet, gleaming eyes to give her some privacy and smiles brightly at the tall stallion. 

"Yes, it is one of four. I am from the Dragon's Throat, a sunny desert island in the south. There is also the World's Edge to the East, and the Hidden Falls just beyond this forest. All welcome newcomers, if you are interested in herd life. If not, these Wilds can sustain a single soul with ease," he explained, voice lilting with pleasure at the chance to educate and direct. "Though I'm sure your company would be well missed if you chose such a route," he uttered shyly at Ilaria's prodding, demanding he at least respond somewhat in kind to the flirtations he and Zyanya had received. His endearingly lopsided smile was sincere, painfully inexperienced with delivering such sentences and displaying that naivety quite plainly. Oh well, he could be embarrassed later, especially if the man did not accompany him to the Throat. 

Table | Image Credits
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!

Laine
The little red panda seemed well pleased and that made the grey man smile in earnest. That was precisely why he traded so often in simple compliments and gallantries: to see the little surge in pride or flush of pleasure on another’s face was its own reward. Sure enough, the panda did not disappoint and nor did her companion. It would have been one thing if the gold patched stallion had seemed uncomfortable or angry at the casual remark (or the wink). Mercutio was quite used to brusque answers and angry brush offs when it came to other’s who didn’t share his broad tastes. He simply didn’t let it bother him. Nine times out of ten his flirtatious bent had no real motive behind it, it was simply his nature, to entertain and find things that entertained.

Mercutio’s mirthful amber eyes watched as Cera’s gaze dropped, as he shuffled and seemed to hug himself tight with his wings. For the span of a heartbeat he though that the gold might chafe at the attention but instead he smiled shyly and Mercutio realized that Cera was merely bashful. It was immeasurably endearing. Still, since there was other company he thought it better not to push it, to much and he was certain that Cera’s wings might swallow him entirely.

Full of sympathy (for he himself had not always been so cavalier) the bearded stud took a metaphorical step back, aiming his manner more towards amiable that provocative. He cocked one of his hind legs to fall into a more relaxed pose, his dark face alert and attentive, ready to hear a bit about where he was and where he might go. The easy manner wavered however, when his gaze fell back to Zyanya and saw that her lovely eyes had filled with tears.

Internally he panicked, at once certain that he had done something to offend her. The pillars of his ears twisted and fell back, his face falling a look of concern but Cera had spotted her distress and had already asked her if she was alright before he could utter a word. (Cute and Kind? It had never been a combination Mercurio could resist with ease). He followed, cautiously with his own self deprecating smile “Now there, dear heart, I did never mean to upset you. I’m afraid I’m all mirth and no matter, but you shouldn’t take it to heart.” It was the best he could do as far as offering comfort. Even if he had known what had upset her, he’d never had much practice as a counselor… A jester, maybe, but that was as far as his comfort zone stretched.

He couldn’t help but be grateful when both surged on, leaving (or trying to leave) the moment of unpleasantness behind them. Perking up again, he gave both the mare and the other stallion due attention as they did their part in explaining the basic lay of the land. The four headlands were not particularly of any permanent interest--what herd would want him after all?--but he had enough curiosity to at least try and see all the new places even if he didn’t stay in them.

It was Cera’s last comment that cast a look of earnest surprise on his features. Lo and behold the bashful prince had his own stores of playful wit! Mercutio’s brow arched, admittedly thrown for a moment before his face broke. His bark of laughter, wasn’t cruel or harsh but rich and obviously appreciative. There was such an honest glow of naive charm about the pegasus that the unicorn was rendered all but helpless. He was drawn in, like a bee to a flower, and never thinking himself in danger of stinging yet didn’t see the harm in buzzing around…not if the flower seemed to enjoy it. “You’d find me a poor addition to a herd, I’m afraid, I’ve got wandering feet and have never managed yet to make myself useful!” He dipped his head graciously to Zyanya. “I’m sure your home is quite a jewel, but as the days were getting cooler I was already heading south. Perhaps I could visit the Basin and see for it myself in a season is more forgiving? On  the whole I’ll stick to the wilds and keep myself from being a nuisance, but perhaps Cera and Ilaria will consent to being my temporary tour guides?” His grin found the other pair again “If it’s not too much trouble…”
Mercutio

Image Credit