the Rift

[OPEN] Scratched the Surface

Roux Posts: 57
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 5 :: Orangemoon HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Edison :: Red Kite :: Rage Semper

if we're fucked up
you're to blame

Much to the kite's excitement I was following my word, the promise I made to the bird of prey the night that I ran into my childhood friend. In normal Roux fashion there had been plenty of wandering around the lands of Helovia before we finally found ourselves staring up at the once majestic wall of glass that protected the members of the Edge from less than desirable folk, much like the metal guards did in the mountain pass the Basin opened into. It was late, as it usually was when I traveled or had anything of importance to tend to, the moonlight pierced through the shattered glass sending rays of light to dance across the grass that was slowly dying with the oncoming winter. Leaving me with an almost eerie feeling as I stood where the entrance to these promised lands used to be placed, now there were plenty of entries...but something just felt more right to be at the proper entrance rather than just waiting for someone to find me lingering around a blemish in their protection.

"Call someone." The travel weary kite's voice echoed through the shadows of my mind, my only response was dark rimmed ears flicking back against my dark tresses. There was plenty of time before I had to wake anyone up...it was late and part of me wondered if I should wait until the sun began creeping back through the sky before I introduced myself to what would be my new home. It would leave me reliant upon the beady eyes of the kite to know what our leads looked like, to know what anything looked like for that matter, and with his grumpiness over me deciding to wander a little longer I wasn't entirely sure if he was fully willing to deal with my needs.

A shaky sigh slid forth as I took a careful step closer to the once grand wall, nerves of joy and well...nervousness flicked through my being as I thought over how this could go. I could be welcomed with a warm embrace and open arms, thrown right into work as a medic where I would be happy and able to practice some of what I already knew thanks to having the Nightshade as a father. Or my lineage of racism and the Basin would leave me turned out into the cold without any further knowledge of my brother's well-being. But if Mauja had been able to find sanctuary behind this shattered wall, surely the son of the Poisoner would also be welcomed?

Ebony and ivory limbs moved easily across the decaying grass till I was flush with the entrace, moon eyes drifted over my shoulder momentarily as I looked to Edison for a little bit of morale support when I half wanted to run away again to hide for another couple years till I could handle the loss my family had suffered through. He ruffled his feathers and cocked his head to the side, sharp talons digging into my withers as he reminded me that I had promised him we were done being vagabonds. Snorting I turned back to face the misty lands of the Edge, letting a neigh loose to inform whoever was around that there was a newcomer to these parts.
"talk talk talk"

image credits
@Alysanne & @Tembovu & open
roux is here to join the edge since mauja told him his brother is here
Now waking to the sun
I calculate what I had done
Like jumping from the bow
Just to prove that I knew how
</style>
pixel by nikkayla

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan

Sometimes, it was nice to just be home. Loiter about, drift between favorite haunts and make sure that everything was well with the world. But lately those refuges brought her little relaxation. Something had broken after the mess with the bramble, a trust gone to seed, perhaps... No, it was more that a faith had fractured, in her own understanding of the place that she had called utopia for so long. Had she been wrong to place such firm trust in the inherent goodness of those that dwell here?

Perhaps. If she looked rationally upon her experiences up until now Erthë had to admit that there was very little in life that was purely black or white. Just like her own pale coat shifted in hues of pink and blue, so did the morals of every soul she crossed paths with. To try and push a label of 'right' and 'good' upon people just because they had always been kind to her was as short-sighted as it was foolish, a destination bound for grief and shattered illusions. That was probably what afflicted her these days, beyond the whole bad business of life versus death and the cost of progress. She had pressed her eye against a rose-colored lens and gotten used to the view on the other side, and when it broke she complained at how faded the colors appeared.

Erthë snorted at her own naivete, head shaking slowly as she meandered along the border, her feet automatically following the usual paths on her usual night-time wanderings. Life in the Edge was making her complacent, her mind was dulling. It was embarrassing to think that she'd needed the Goddess to point this out before seeing it for herself, more awkward still that she was opening her eyes and still had yet to move forward from this place.

Not that she had to leave, not physically - that wasn't what the Lady had said - but whenever the young mare stopped double-checking herself she fell back into the same old habits, the same restricted patterns of thought. It was a bad sign, one that planted a seed of urgency to get on with the Lady's instructions...

The question was where she should start. Visit a herdland, get lost with a friend or help someone find a friend... or love. How did you even do that? The first task was obviously easier, and it was tempting to get that underway and have done with it. Impatient by nature Erthë wanted to do this thing quickly, even though she had been told specifically that it wasn't a race...

A voice cut through the stillness of the night, and with a jerk the crowned dove looked up. Without realizing it she had wandered all the way to the gate, not noticing the looming metal structure or the building ache within her broken leg. Now they both hit her at once, the latter bringing on a grimace as the ever present pounding intensified while the first drew her attention. Not so much by its stately appearance or novelty, no, but because there was someone standing on the other side.

"Hello? Did you call just now?"

The limp in her gait was heavier than usual as she approached the metal structure, somewhat wary despite herself. Newcomers at the Edge was common enough, they had experienced a steady stream of petitioners for as long as she could recall; she had been one herself once, as she migrated south along with her father. But usually they didn't come in the dead of night... nor did they often cause her to startle.

This was probably more her fault than his however, she reminded herself. Better not blame others for her own lack of attention.

Stopping by the wrought iron fencing the snow-cold girl peered curiously at the stranger, the light from the moon enabling her to notice details that would have eluded her otherwise. He was tall enough, towering even compared to her own humble measurements and good looking in a quiet sort of way. Lacking the striking colors and odd markings of most Helovians, he stood out all the more for the simple elegance of his dark coat, while the gleam of a white horn and a pair of pale socks lent him character.

Noticing a bird perched upon high withers Erthë smiled; the usual pang of jealousy when seeing someone with a soul-bond was barely noticeable as she nodded to the stallion in greeting.

"Welcome to the Edge. I'm Erthë... Are you looking for someone?"

Big girls cry when their hearts are breaking
image credit to Neaqmir on deviantart.com

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
Nightfall had lately become the bane of Alysanne’s existence. No longer did she drift toward her nest when the stars glittered above and the moon was high in the sky, letting the cool ocean breeze lull her to sleep. No longer did she rest comfortably, nestled among dried grasses and flowers and (if she was lucky) the warm body of a friend next to her. She had always slept more soundly among others, finding company - even platonic company - vastly preferable to sleeping alone.

But ever since the herd meeting, she had only brief moments of sleep snatched here and there. It continued to evade her as her mind raged with more thoughts and emotions than she could count. Nothing seemed to settle her. The herb garden had been immaculately picked clean of all troublesome weeds and Hemlock had even helped her prune back some of the plants so that they could return in the spring with vigorous life. She was slowly running out of things that she could do in the dark but still her mind kept her awake.

As you could imagine, when she heard the call of a neigh echo through the quiet night forest - the pegasus was thrilled at the shot to have something to do. Not even the fact that Tembovu, the ever-present and ever-aggravating King, would likely show up as well could keep her from seeing who was calling at such a dark hour.

Of course, that hardly stopped her from being a little bit relieved to see that he had not (yet) arrived when she spied a figure standing near the entrance of the Edge. It seemed pretty likely that this had been the caller, and her suspicions were confirmed when another form approached the stranger as well. The bright white figure of Erthë stood out among the shadows - and as Alysanne moved forward as well she couldn’t help but again noticing the limp that the girl moved with. A little frown creased her mouth, her healer’s mind wondering if there was anything she could do to help it.

Perhaps not right this second, though. For now, Alysanne trotted over to stand beside the pale girl, her eyes and expression bright with warmth as she banished her exhaustion and troublesome thoughts. If her mind wouldn’t let her sleep, she had no time to hear her body’s complaints that sleep was needed.

Hemlock, her small owl companion, satisfied from his completed hunt came swooping down to land in his customary spot between Alysanne’s ears just as she came to a stop. His dark eyes watched the stranger carefully, despite the delight in seeing another bird companion.

“You’re too quick for the rest of us to keep up, young Erthë.” She teased the younger mare with a smile, hoping it would be taken well. She was only just getting to know the girl, after all, but her instinct around anyone younger (or older) was to tease them the way a mother would. It was good to see herd members greeting strangers on the border - and wonderful to see the younger members getting involved where they could. “I’m Alysanne. We’d be happy to assist you in anyway we can.” She offered to the bay stranger - luckily catching Erthë’s welcome and question so she did not repeat them, instead she waited with a warm smile to see what the answer was.
If you could only understand—through my heart and through my veins
I gave it all,
I'll give again.

image | coding

@Roux
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Roux Posts: 57
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 5 :: Orangemoon HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Edison :: Red Kite :: Rage Semper

if we're fucked up
you're to blame

I waited.

But it wasn't long before the sound of another approaching beyond the slowly shattering wall reached my ink dipped ears, causing them to flick forward and my monochromatic gaze to settle upon the ghost-like creature's movements. I watched carefully as she limped closer, wings as pale as the clouds on a bright blue sky tucked in close to her sides, nearly distracting me from the curling twin towers that sprung from her forehead. Yet another one. My blood curdled at the thought of breeding with one with wings, but it seemed my brothers or sisters weren't being quite so choosy about who they bedded any longer. The limp that stunted her strides made me curious as to if that was a birth defect from the impure DNA that ran through her body, or if there was some kind of accident. "You aren't one to judge, boy. Would you be able see if sun was up?" Any snarky remark I could think of to throw back at the bird of prey nestled on my withers was cut short by the arrival of the pale bird.

"Hello? Did you call just now?" As she drew closer I noticed that the dove not only sported her twin towers but a set of curved horns that brushed against her jaw bones just as pale and surreal as the rest of her. "Welcome to the Edge. I'm Erthë...Are you looking for someone?" A polite smile squirmed it's way across my features as the welcoming committee finished her little speech, ivory topped crown dipping low in a greeting, and when I rose back to my usual stance there stood a black and white bird who had a charming smile splattered across her pretty face. Her attention seemed to be on the younger mare for a second before kind (motherly?) eyes turned to settle upon my own bloodied frame.

"I'm Alysanne. We'd be happy to assist you in anyway we can." I smiled again as the kite shifted on my withers, taking off to settle on a pane of broken glass where he could keep a better eye on the events at hand unless he needed to intrude on my awkwardness. "It's a pleasure Lady Erthë and Lady Alysanne. I am Roux, formerly of the Aurora Basin." I shifted ever so slightly with discomfort at the mention of where I once belonged, it felt as if it had been so long ago when my family was actually still a family and not a mess nearly as shattered as the wall I stood alongside. Clearing my throat I shifted moon eyes towards the ghostly dove and nodded ever so slightly. "Mauja told me I could find my brother, Sacre, here. He's black with a red patch on his side...travels with a fox companion. Have you seen him?" "Easy boy...get a home before you start the third degree." The kite scolded me internally as I looked between the two mares who welcomed me so warmly in the middle of this chilly night.

"I was also looking to take up a position as a medic here, if that would be plausible." I finished speaking, wishing my vocal chords would stop moving before I could continue to ramble on like some kind of fool. Hopefully one of these two were someone with the ability to bring a new member into the family, otherwise I would have to deal with someone I'm sure would be less than pleasant at this time of night.

"talk talk talk"

image credits
@Alysanne & @Erthë & open
e.e sorry this took me so long guys
Now waking to the sun
I calculate what I had done
Like jumping from the bow
Just to prove that I knew how
</style>
pixel by nikkayla

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
Well, it certainly was a great day when those met on the borders of the edge were polite and friendly. Even more so when the thundering form of their great Elephant King didn’t come to disturb the peace! She hadn’t often gotten the chance to greet someone on her own lately - or perhaps it was that he just bothered her enough that it seemed like he was more present than he was.

Hemlock watched with beady black eyes as the kite took off from the stallion’s withers and settled on a piece of broken glass nearby. He hooted a low greeting to it, cautiously testing the waters with this strange creature. He had never quite seen a bird like it before but it was less flashy than the bright zephyrs he had seen so maybe it was okay.

But Alysanne’s attention was on Roux, as he introduced himself - her smile turning soft at the mention of the Aurora Basin. That herdland held no negative thoughts for her, instead it conjured peaceful afternoons spent collecting herbs with the wonderful Lena.

She wasn’t left to muse about the past for very long, however, because Roux cleared his throat and continued speaking.

How wonderful! Alysanne, who had certainly already been smiling, absolutely lit up at the mention of how Sacre was this young man’s brother! Family was such a soft spot for her - she remembered the overwhelming joy when her twin sister had come to the Edge, seeking her out - and just the idea that someone else could feel that happiness chased away all her clouds. Hemlock hooted with delight as well, recalling Sacre’s fox companions - his absolute favourite. “Oh yes! Mauja brought young Sacre here not too long ago. He actually joined our healing ranks as well so you will have a familiar face with you!” Did healing run in their family? She wanted to ask but held her tongue - deciding that she could at least welcome Roux into the herd before asking him questions of such a nature.

“You would be most welcome to stay, Roux.” And with that, she stepped aside and motioned with her wing toward the forest of the Edge behind her. “Come on in, let’s see if we can go find your brother? I haven’t seen him today but I’m sure he’s around here somewhere.” Though she would not intrude upon their reunion, she hoped that for a little while at least they could lend their eyes to help him seek out Roux’s brother.
If you could only understand—through my heart and through my veins
I gave it all,
I'll give again.

image | coding
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan

Erthë bowed the head towards the monochrome mare as Alysanne joined her, the smile on her lips turning a touch ironic at the queens choice of words. Was she saying that on purpose, or did she just not think about how it might sound to the young cripple? Was she being made fun of? It would surprise her, seeing as the mare used to be a healer before acquiring her current rank... but then again prejudice could be found in the strangest of places.

"Hardly, my Queen. Just a matter of timing, I assure" Erthë replied in quiet tones, as the long tail wrapped in lazy coils around a blue-tinted hind leg. "Had I not been in the area you would have been done by the time I arrived, I should think." I'm not exactly quick on my feet after all.

But she swallowed the remark without giving voice to it. It wouldn't do to appear touchy about something that couldn't be helped, not in front of a mare she'd already embarrassed herself before and a complete stranger. Curbing her tongue - ah, what a skill it was, and how poorly it suited her - Erthë returned her attention to the supplicant at the gate, and remained quiet as he explained his errand and asked for shelter. His former allegiance and familial ties did little to surprise the girl, but the appeal to join the herd made Erthë raise a brow in curiosity. Of course Alysanne accepted without hesitation - really, what was with the rulers and their willingness to embrace anyone without even asking why - but though her smile remained equally polite and pleasant as she stepped up to open the gate for the unicorn, the young mare wasn't as quick to trust.

"Welcome to the herd" she offered, falling in by Roux's side once he was past the border. "How come you left the Basin, do they have a surplus of healers there?" Erthë raked her eyes across his frame, the soft tone of her voice doing little to blunt the sharpness of the gaze or indeed the brusque nature of the question. Wrapping things in cotton was boring, exhausting and quite pointless - not her style at all.

ERTHË
It's too cold outside for angels to fly
Image Credits

@Roux

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~