the Rift

[OPEN] where do we go [Mathèo]

Vinati Posts: 42
Outcast
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16.0 hh :: 6 months (ages in Tallsun)
ChaoticMelodies
It had been a few weeks since Ave's death, and Vinati found herself once more at the edge of the Dragon's Throat.  She had always liked the golden-red sands by the water's edge, where she could listen to the waves lap at the shoreline and watch the seagulls float overhead.  It was relaxing, though she knew not everyone liked it as much as she did.  Sometimes she heard others in the herd complain about the sand at the water's edge and how it managed to get everywhere - but why on earth did they live in a desert if they don't like sand, might she ask?

Orangemoon was in full swing now, though it affected the desert far less than it might the mainland.  Still, the days were noticeably cooler (though still hot), and the nights had grown almost frigid to the young girl.  She had been born into heat and Sun, and the loss of the warmth that she had grown so used to left her shivering more often than not.  She had decided that she did not much like to be cold, and she could not help but dread the arrival of Frostfall.  But that was still some time in the future, and it was silly and useless to worry about it now.  Even if she did think the coming of cold to ruin their food and settle in their bones was a particularly idiotic stupid strange thing for the gods to do.  Especially their god, the one of Sun and fire.

So she wandered the beach, prancing here and there and pausing periodically to scuff her hooves in the sand.  Sometimes she did it just because, but other times, she tried to sketch out a crafting design.  She was young, but she was already a skilled jeweler, and designing upcoming pieces always thrilled her.  Lately, though, she had been having trouble coming up with anything that was worth using her magic to make.  In the back of her mind, the circlet that she had promised her father she would make for her mother lingered.  It seemed almost silly to make it now that he was gone - it was supposed to be something that they did together, and despite having come to terms with Gaucho's death quite easily, she didn't want to embark on that project alone.  It made his absence feel all the larger, and she didn't want to remember that though she could see him and hear him, she couldn't feel him.  Ghosts were notoriously lacking in solidity.

The waves crashed rather loudly off to her right as she started on her way again.  The girl walked along the water line, following the curve of the wet sand when each wave came in and departed.  She didn't get her hooves wet - she didn't like the way the water here tugged and pulled at her spindly legs - but she stayed as close as she could to the water without actually getting in.  Seagulls hovered overhead, forever trying to fly while managing only to flap their wings in place.  She wondered if the silly things knew that the wind was the cause of their struggle.  If they would only turn around and fly the other way, maybe they would actually get somewhere.

Talk.

@Mathèo - sorry this took ten years ;_;

Mathèo Posts: 65
Dragon's Throat Colt
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2 :: 3 seasons
Delphi :: Common Rougarou :: Flame Odd

The boy was looking out towards the sea.

Lost in his own thoughts, young Thèo was enraptured by the sense of smallness that he felt, when he stood on the oceanic borders of his home. He hadn't left the Throat yet, for wings were still in the process of growing both the muscles and the feathers he would need in order to fly, and he didn't want to be an imposition upon anyone who had a key for the fiery bridge. But that was alright, there was more than enough land here to keep the young boy's mind occupied. And today that object of that occupation was the sea.

Thèo's pale green eyes, so unlike those of both his mother and his father, surveyed the vastness of the ocean with a child's wide-eyed wonder. The tribrid let the waves roll and crash before him, not shrinking away even the slightest as the final pushes of the wave raced towards his cloven hooves and buried them in the sands. It made him feel as though the ocean was a living thing, a thing that moved the earth where it wanted, and even playfully sunk small boys who stood at its circumference too long.

At the sound of her approach, Thèo turned his horned head in her direction. The filly was a beautiful creature of natural colours and markings, so vastly different from his own.

"Hello-" He called out to her, his youthful voice confident and cheerful. It almost sounded as though he had a trace of an accent, which he had likely picked up from his mother's communal parenting method. Thèo bounced around from herd member to herd member, learning what he could from them, and picking up their accents and ways of speaking, along with the lessons they had to impart upon the fatherless boy. "I was just looking out at the ocean." He continued, each word softly punctuated, with his t's sounding slightly more like d's. "Would you care to join me?"

mathèo
The flames are getting higher - in effigy.
Burning down the bridges of my memory
Image Credits

@Vinati . Does she know they are related ?

Outcast
ChaoticMelodies
The first thing that she noticed about the boy was that he glowed.  Or, well, glowed wasn't really the right word.  It was more like he stood in a particularly bright ray of sunshine, except that it was less light and more sparkle.  It was quite enchanting, actually.  The girl smiled as she approached, finding that the boy's silvery coat, tinged only along his flank with gold, only enhanced the effect.  His was such a lovely picture that she was loathe to disturb it; what she wanted to do was sculpt him, to create a little crystalline figurine that perfectly captured his silhouette against the open sea.  But it was at that moment that he must have heard her approach, for he turned to greet her with a cheerful, accented word.

The girl was immediately disappointed that she had not been able to pause the moment, to capture its beauty and essence in art, but she brightened as he invited her to join him.  Apparently he shared her love of the ocean, and as she came to a halt beside him, she took a deep breath of the salty air.  "I'd love to!" Vinati agreed, her blue eyes casting out over the waves.  "It's beautiful, isn't it?"  It was more rhetorical question than anything, and she continued on without waiting for an answer.  "One time, I saw this huge creature swimming out there.  I think it was called a whale."

The sand princess began to search in vain for a trace of one of the majestic creatures, but they were nowhere to be found.  A blue-green, crystalline version of the marine mammal that she had crafted a few weeks before rested against her chest on a thin gold chain that her mother had given her.  A flame-colored rose, also crafted by the girl, was twined in her short mane, glinting in the sunlight as she sighed.  "My name's Vinati, by the way!" the girl exclaimed suddenly, her momentary disappointment about the lack of whales nearby abating in favor of a cheerful introduction. "What's yours?"

Talk.

@Mathèo - nope, she basically doesn't know any of her half-siblings are related to her lol.

Dragon's Throat Colt

A boyish and eager smile broke across his ashen muzzle as she agreed. For the first time he noticed how similar her eyes were to the colour of the water. The colour was blue, of course, but not just blue. It was a deep colour, without necessarily being dark. There were points of sunlit sparkle, just like the waves, that lined her eyes in a way that if asked, he wouldn't have quite been able to articulate.

He nodded in eager agreement as the cited the ocean's beauty, and then turned an inquisitive gaze towards her as she mentioned whales. Still being quite young, there was so much in the world that he didn't know about. As such, the expression of awe on his face wasn't accompanied by surprise. That such vast creatures lurked below the surface was amazing, but not surprising. The world was full of wonders, wasn't it?

"Whales-" He muttered, more to himself than to her, as he let his green gaze return to the sea, as if he was sampling the word. As her question drew his gaze from the sea, back to the naturally coloured contours of the face, the boy paused a moment to smile. In his short life he had not learned to be bashful or ashamed of his feelings, nor had he associated any sort of appreciation of beauty with the need to be masked by some other motive. And so, he allowed himself a moment to smile, and drink in the sparkling baubles that sat against her hair and chest, and the way her eyes mirrored the sea.

"I am Mathèo." He said, that bizarre accent sounding even stronger as he pronounced the accented sounds in his name. Some called him Mats, others, Thèo. Rarely was he called by his full name. He wasn't entirely sure why ... But for the moment, the thought didn't bother him.

"I don't believe I know your family-" He began, each syllable somehow subtly allowed its own space in between, especially in family, making it sound more like fahm-ee-lee. He only mentioned this because of the way he had been raised - by the Dragon's Throat as as herd, rather than any one particular parent. Thèo had bounced around from herd member to herd member, learning what he could from them, and then moved on. "My mother ... ahh, she believes in having me learn from as many members from the Dragon's Throat as I can .. and I am sure if I had met your family, they would have mentioned having such a lovely daughter." Flattery came easily to the boy, but it was also genuine, and rolled off his tongue naturally.

mathèo
Image Credits

@Vinati.

Outcast
ChaoticMelodies
Well, wasn't he just a little charmer?

Vinati's gaze jumped back to the boy in time to see him looking her over appreciatively.  She was too young as yet to be made uncomfortable by a kind eye admiring her appearance, and even if the pair was of age, his gaze might not make the girl uncomfortable.  There was nothing even remotely lewd or leering, nothing that suggested that he saw her as anything other than a work of art.  If she'd stopped to think about it, she might have basked in the irony of it:  she was an artist, forever behind the beauty that she presented to the world, and yet here she was being examined liked some life-sized figurine.

Mathèo.  She filed the name away for future reference.  A small part of her wondered if she might get away with calling him 'Matty,' suddenly shy as she realized that his full name wouldn't sound as lovely in her lackluster voice.  "Well, it's lovely to meet you," she chirped diplomatically to cover up her sudden concern, smiling merrily as the talk turned to family.  She accepted his explanation of his mother's parenting methods without a second thought.  At her age, it was easy to accept new things, even when they were things she didn't understand.  Her mother had always been insistent upon raising her, and such a communal method was foreign entirely to the girl.  Still, she supposed, Matty would indeed have a large adoptive family!

What she didn't realize is that both of them were practically related to the entire Throat herd by blood.  The girl hadn't even met all of her full siblings, much less the half-siblings that seemed to pop up everywhere overnight.  Of course, she didn't really know that there were other children from Gaucho who were not from Sohalia, too.  Vinati's mother had spared her that little detail, avoiding the topic as much out of her own pain as concern for Vinati's wellbeing.  In any case, Mathèo's question didn't strike the girl as strange or out of place; in fact, his explanation made her all the more eager to supply her lineage to the pretty boy.

"My mother is Sohalia, one of the herd's Artisans.  I'm sure you'll have seen her, at least - she's usually by the church these days, or at the oasis."  The girl almost mentioned how down her mother had seemed in the short time since her father's death, but thought the better of it.  "My father is - was," she corrected herself, wilting ever-so-slightly, "Gaucho the Wildfire.  But he's... he died, so I don't suppose you'll know him."

Talk.

@Mathèo - do you think Gaucho's ghost would hang around Thèo?

Dragon's Throat Colt

"The pleasure is mine." He returned easily, the smile that was upon his lips and cheeks, easily finding its way to his eyes. Thèo listened with a genuine curiosity as the primal, but beautiful filly, answered his question. At her mention of Sohalia, the boy made a small O with his lips, which gradually moved to more of an ah shape. Of course she was Sohalia's daughter. He might have assumed as much if given the time to think about it. Who else on these sands would have created a child that was both graceful without appearing as though she would break?

Thèo tried to make his reaction to Vinati's next sentence as masked as possible, but he was still just a boy, for all of his charm and curiousity. His cheeks remained where they were, holding the smile on his face, but the light in his eyes had gone out entirely, drowned by a sort of meloncholy that made his youthful green eyes look entirely too old. 

"Ah-" He tried to begin, groping for any sound to try and articulate what it was he was feeling. "No, you are quite correct. I do not know the Wildfire. He died shortly before my birth." He said, trying to get a hold of the sudden uprising of sadness that pressed down on his shoulders. Despite this, the light around him actually seemed to intensify. Unlike his talk with Iskra where the boys simply left their sadness behind and dove right into the playfulness that brought them together, this sadness almost seemed comfortable in Vinati's presence.

Perhaps that was because he know knew her to be his sister. But even that realized had a hard time finding its way onto the smile that was still on his lips. "But what you say is good news-' He continued, swallowing and raising his eyes to find hers once again. "For although I did not know the Wildfire, he was my Father too." Unlike the gruff articulations of many of Gaucho's children, Thèo's pronunciation was soft, befitting the strange accent he bore. "Which makes you not just a wonderful interruption to my day, but my sister as well."

Sunlight glittered down upon the boy, drenching him a warm light, that finally did manage to reach his eyes once again.

mathèo
Image Credits

@Vinati. I'm the worst. Ilu i'm sorry

Outcast
ChaoticMelodies
The strange light that surrounded the boy seemed to shine down from the heavens, and the little sand princess wondered if perhaps this colt was somehow blessed by the gods. After all, was it not said that gods lived somewhere vaguely upward in some faraway heaven? It seemed that, regardless of the legend, the skies were pure, full of morality and peace, whereas the earth was a messy land of hateful sinners, destined by their actions to descend even deeper into hell or somehow estrange themselves from it. If she was the sort to wonder about religion, she might have considered the possibility that pegasi were, by their very nature, more at one with the heavens than their earth-bound brethren. Did that make them better, she might have wondered?

But she didn't, and she never would. Such was not her way.

The sadness that lingered around the pair at the mention of the WildFire was nearly palpable. Still, sorrow could only keep its cold, bitter grasp on the ghost-seer for so long. In fact, Gaucho was watching them even now, the faintest of smiles upon his dark lips. More than likely, he already knew that both of the foals were his children - and as Matheo revealed as much to Vinati, the WildFire's presence suddenly made all the more sense. "Oh!" she chirped, brightening considerably from her momentary dejection. "That's why he's standing behind you!"

It took a moment for the girl to realize that Matheo would not understand her outburst, so accustomed to her own oddity was the little sand princess. And after that moment passed - a moment in which he might have cast her a strange look, or asked what she was referring to, or perhaps merely let her weirdness outburst slide - the girl flicked her gaze back to her brother from the seemingly empty space where their father's ghost stood. "I see ghosts," she informed him then, smiling radiantly. "So even if you don't know him, I can tell you that he knows you."

Talk.

@Mathèo

Dragon's Throat Colt

Immediately and perhaps unsurprisingly, Thèo spun around almost instantly as his sister said that their Father stood behind him. Even as he moved on slender and long legs, the boy could feel his heart thumping in his chest, ignoring the illogical nature of what his sand-sister had said. Gaucho was dead, he knew that. Hadn't his Mother burned his body? And yet ...

Yet..

Perhaps it was because of his age, his naivity, but part of Thèo believed that he would see the impressive Wildfire behind him. However as his sea-green gaze finally rotated fully within his regal skull, he was greeted only with a pristine view of the desert. Thèo's mouth felt dry and suddenly his eyes felt very heavy. He exhaled a breath that was more of a sob, and turned back to face Vinati, wondering what cruelty could have led her to trick him so.

Immediately she explained, and though his anger immediately dispelled from his body and his face, the sorrow and disappointment in his heart lingered a little longer.

"I see." He said with a shaky smile, casting a glance over his shoulder once more, as if still hoping to catch a glance of what his sister could see. "How very lucky for you then. Death does not rob you quite as much as it does for the rest of us.." His voice trailed off, sadness unmistakably colouring his oddly accent words.

"What... is he like? What does he do, when you see him?" Aithniel rarely spoke of Gaucho. She spoke of his bravery and dedication to the Throat, but those things told the ashen boy very little of what his Father was actually like.

mathèo
Image Credits

@Vinati.