the Rift

[OPEN] when the sparrows stop singing

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
As I flew back to the Throat I honestly don't think I could have been any happier. Just a few months before I was a sobbing mess when I left to make a new life in the Hidden Falls, but things had changed so much in that time. It was pretty amazing to look back on it. I think what made me happiest, though, was that Rhoa was living in the Falls with me. And he loved me. But most importantly, we were going to be parents. I hadn't told Rhoa yet, but I suspected that maybe he had noticed that I was getting a little bit rounder... but then again maybe it was just me being hyper-sensitive. I'd just tell him when I got back home.

I got to the Throat much faster than I expected and when I landed on the sands I took a deep breath and sighed. Part of me had suspected that I would be sad the first time I went back because I would be leaving again. But I wasn't sad. I was finally content with the decision that I had made to leave because everything had seemed to fall into place. The only thing that could have made it better was if Cera was with me, but I wasn't going to ask him to leave the Throat when I knew how much he loved it there. As long as I could visit him in the Throat (since Gaucho had said I was welcome) I would.

"Cera!" I called out for my brother and I glanced around. I wanted to walk to the tree where we had always slept and look for him there, but I forced myself to stay where I was. Sure, Gaucho said I was welcome in the Throat, but I was still a guest. Guests didn't just wander around wherever they wanted. "Cera! Gaucho!" I tucked my wings tightly against my sides as I waited because I was confident that Cera would hear me calling for him and wouldn't keep me waiting long.

"."

you won't forget the heavy steps it took to let it go
close your eyes, count to ten, hold your breath and fly
image credits

@Cera @Amani

aud pixel!

Amani Posts: 99
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: Three Years HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Emily

AMANI

"Cera!" The voice that rang out over the sands did not call my name, but it prompted me forward anyway. My sides slightly swollen, my wings lifted me to the skies to go a greet my friend. I had not seen my golden and black friend in many months. I had hoped it was just simply a mistake, but when she had not been at the herd meeting I knew she had to of been gone. "Cera! Gaucho!" Oh shit. My heart that had lifted so high at the thought of seeing Ranjiri sank almost at once. She doesn't know. She doesn't know he's. Oh man.... I think of the feathers that cling to my neck. I know at once that I will be giving them up to her. Because simply they would mean more to her than me. I had not been the closest to... to... to Gaucho.

I arrive first. My hooves hit the sands lightly. I have to land with care to make sure I do not cause any harm to the new life growing inside of me. I wonder if she will notice my swollen sides. "Ranjiri...." My voice almost cracks. I have to tell her. I have to. But I can't. I just can't. Instead I stand there, looking at my friend and longing to tell her so much. But I just can't bring myself to say the words. I wondered if Cera would be along soon. Maybe it would take the both of us to tell her... Tell her that our Sultan... Is gone.

"their speech goes here and this is the color

Please Tag Amani in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Amani at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

It is only fair that he finds himself here, ankle deep in the still water that composes so much of the outside of the Dragon's Throat. Pale lips dance across the shuddering surface of the despairingly bright and beautifully blue water. The whisper of his sigh only further distorts his flickering reflection. The Throat was changing once more, as it had in the wake of Kri and Midas. Yet here he was, eternal and unchanging, recording the winding tales of all that transpired within the herd. A quiet guardian of the sands. He would support Sikeax in her ascension, his best friend and now co-parent of his beautiful angel. But it did nothing to stop him from feeling so damn tired. Worn by the events of his life and his herd, jaded by the constant squabbling and hatred in the family he loved. Broken by his sister's absence, his own achingly lonely heart, and the loss of the one man who had continually believed in Cera. Even when the Prince had never deserved it. 

But just as he had been around for Horus Tarkus' arrival, it seemed he was placed on the ocean sands once more for a purpose. And normally he would appreciate that, the cosmic energies that had him always appearing in the right place at the right time. But as his name called across the sunlit sand, his sister's voice cheery and unmistakable, his battered heart sank so quickly that he wondered why he did not simply keel over and faint right there. It would have been simpler, easier, to avoid being the one to tell her the news. And he finally knew now how Ranjiri had felt when she had been burdened by the knowledge of Midas' death. Why it had taken her so long to tell him, because he would do anything to keep her from the agony of the news he had to tell her. 

Ilaria curled tightly around his withers, trying to physically comfort him. She needs to know. She needs time to grieve, too. Cera clenched his eyes shut, swallow the lump of his heart rising into his throat. He didn't want to imagine her tears, the light dimming in her golden eyes. But he couldn't keep the knowledge from her, not when it had hurt him when she had done it to him with Midas. And so he reluctantly began to drag himself from the water to her voice, never feeling the weight of his sorrow quite so intimately until now. 

And she was radiant. It was unfair to see her glowing with life and vitality, happiness. It hurt that she was happier in the Falls than with him in the Throat, that he had not been enough for her just as he had not been enough for Midas. A cruel connective circle the Prince could never seem to escape. And he had to be the one to shatter that look from her face. 

But he was not the first to arrive to her summons, and he spared a sorrowful glance towards Amani before taking a shaky breath and facing his sister. "Ranjiri," he whispered, slowly coming to offer his pale muzzle to her. His eyes were undoubtedly shattered stained glass in hues of green, and she knew him too well. She would immediately know that something was wrong. 

"Ranjiri, I...Gaucho cannot come to you, sister," he whispered, and oh how he wished he did not have to tell her this. Make the world that much more unfair to her. "He was overtaken by a sickness we could not battle...I'm so sorry, honey, but...Gaucho's dead." And he had no tears to shed. Even though he wanted to so, so badly. But he had given up so much already. There was no tissue left in his soul that was not scarred, and he could not feel the knife's edge of agony that Ranjiri surely would. 

"I'm sorry," he whispered, wings coming up slowly to offer her the shelter they provided, a place to hide and weather the storm just as he had offered when Midas had died. It may kill them both inside to lose the Wildfire, but Cera would be strong if only in order to comfort Ranjiri. He had weathered so much more than this. He could handle her grief, could shoulder the weight of her loss. A reborn Atlas for the suffering of the family Gaucho had left behind. 

Bind me not to the pasture, chain me not to the plow
Set me free to find my calling, and I'll return to you somehow
I am Ceraaaa

@Ranjiri
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali

I waited, alternating between watching the sky and the horizon for either Gaucho or Cera, but it was neither of them that I saw flying toward me. I couldn't help but feel happiness when I spotted Amani. It had been far too long since the last time I'd seen her and when she landed I trotted toward her. "Amani!" There was no hiding my happiness or my excitement at seeing my friend again, but when I looked at her I stopped dead in my tracks. Her sides were rounded and she seemed to glow more than she usually did. "Oh my god." I gasped. "Oh my god, Amani, are you pregnant?!" I didn't really notice the tone of her voice, I was too relieved, I guess, that one of my friends was pregnant, too. I was already imagining our children becoming friends and playing together.

"Ranjiri."

I had been so absorbed in Amani that I hadn't noticed Cera until he said my name and when I turned to him .... it was like the whole world came to a screeching halt. I knew that look in his eyes far too well. "What? What's wrong?" I glanced at Amani before looking back to Cera. I'd seen that look time and again and, already, I could feel my stomach tying itself into knots because I knew bad news was coming. I could feel it and ...

Where was Gaucho?

"Gaucho cannot come to you."

"What? Why?" I asked, though I was already dreading the answer.

"...sickness ... sorry ... dead..."

"What?" I didn't want to believe it. I couldn't believe it. "When? How long?" Oh my god, Rhoa... Tears stung my eyes as the heavy reality of what Cera had just told me hit home. I felt like I couldn't breathe and I wanted to scream, but I couldn't. This felt so much worse than when Midas had died. "No." I whispered, as if denying it would undo what had happened. "No." .... I was going to have to tell Rhoa.

"I'm sorry."

I willingly stepped into Cera's embrace, greedily taking the comfort he offered and giving back what little comfort I could offer. I rested my cheek against his shoulder, sniffling and shivering despite the warmth. "I should have come back sooner." I whispered, my voice cracking under the weight of my sadness. Gaucho had been there for me for so long and ... I couldn't believe that he was gone. "... so I could've told him." Now my child would never know her grandfather. "Oh gods, Cera." Why did this keep happening? Why did we keep losing the ones that we loved.  Why did everything good have to be marred by something so completely horrible?

"."

you won't forget the heavy steps it took to let it go
close your eyes, count to ten, hold your breath and fly
image credits

@Cera @Amani
[url=http://helovia.net/member.php?action=profile&uid=1689][/url]

aud pixel!

Amani Posts: 99
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: Three Years HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Emily

AMANI

"Amani!" The joy in her voice was just not something I could mimick right now. Oh how I wish I could. She stops in her tracks suddenly. "Oh my god." She gasped and I knew she had noticed. "Oh my god, Amani, are you pregnant?!" I pushed a fake smile across my lips. "Yes I am." I tried oh so hard to push the joy into my voice that she carried. "Guess that makes two of us." Moments later, thankfully the conversation shifted as someone else arrived.

"Ranjiri," Cera arrives and I turn to look at him. It was the first time I had seen him since our talk, and i'm still not sure how to feel. How to force myself to look at him like a brother and not a almost lover. His look to me, and the gaze told me everything. He was going to tell her.. Oh Gods... My golden gaze softens as I turn back to my friend. She doesn't know and we have to tell her. My heart beats in my chest and my child turns and kicks. How do we... But just like that Cera takes control just when I needed him to. I moved forward to, turning to stand on Ranjiri's other side. My wing extended, trying to reach up and over if she would allow it to lay across Cera's wing.

"I should have come back sooner." Her words cut me. I should of gone and told her. But then I remembered. "Here." Carefully I pull the feathers I had both pulled and picked up. One from Gaucho and the other from Vorsa. "You were closer to him than I was. You should have these." I gently reach to tuck them into her mane should she allow it. "Now he will always be with you."

"their speech goes here and this is the color

@Cera

Please Tag Amani in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Amani at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

They know each other too well. In another life, another world where pain does not lurk like a cackling demon behind every corner and beneath every rock, maybe that would have been a good thing. But here, with the weight of their second father's death hanging around his neck like a noose tied to a cinder block, he can only stare down at her with sad, tired eyes as she immediately figures him out. A worn rubix cube, and her fingers know his every pattern and secret. But he can't keep it from her, doesn't even attempt it aside from the natural grief that falters and fumbles his words. 

And her words are like knives in his tired, aching heart. The stress of each syllable, the hurt he can feel welling up in her like a tidal wave as the realization crashes down around her. At least this time, she is spared having seen Gaucho's body - in a sick sort of way, they're even now. Each burdened with the death of a father burned into the back of their eyelids. With having to tell their sibling the truth of what happened. 

"Only a few moons," he whispered beneath the frantic crescendo of her voice, too tired and despondent to lift his own any louder. His own emotions had settled around him like an oppressive cloak that he could not shake, and if he could twist that into being a rock for her to lean on, Cera would sacrifice that. He would play the part. How Cera felt didn't matter. What mattered was helping his family through this grief, so that he could take the time to retreat and fall apart in solitude. 

She comes into him, just as he had expected. Because he knows her, too. Just as she had been able to read him so plainly. And he embraces her tightly, because he can't hide her from the truth and the realization of Gaucho's death, but he could hide her from the rest of the world. Even Amani comes forward, their own grievances forgotten in this moment as her wing comes to arc over both of them in companionship and shared loss. Cera bows his head against the dark arch of his sister's neck, and wishes he had the strength and energy to cry. "I'm sorry," he whimpers, because there's nothing else for him to say. And he hates that. 

But he isn't unaware of her trailing, half-formed sentences. "What? Tell him what, Ranjiri?" Even so he can scarcely gather the energy to press the urgency behind the words, to try and encourage her to think about something else. And his eyes slide over to Amani as she offers Ranjiri the bundle of feathers, and mouths a quiet thank you to her. 

Bind me not to the pasture, chain me not to the plow
Set me free to find my calling, and I'll return to you somehow
I am Ceraaaa

@Amani @Ranjiri
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!