the Rift

[OPEN] homecoming

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

V O L T E R R A
OH, MY EYES ARE SEEING RED
DOUBLE VISION FROM THE BLOOD WE'VE SHED

The walk back to the Throat is a long one, and Volterra is rather glad that it is autumn now, with all of its accompanying breezes and rainstorms. He does not miss the unbearable heat of Tallsun, and he also fears that such an all-consuming inferno of a land might have put off the mare alongside him. Given that they spend much of their time inside their herd boundaries, it is important to be comfortable, and the Throat in summer is far from that.

There is still an ember of pride bubbling in the stallion's chest as he leads his first recruit home. It is a success that he is truly delighted with, as the diplomacy involved in bringing somebody back to the herd is an entirely different skill to the brutish, battle-orientated talents that he usually associates himself with. As well as bolstering the Throat's ranks, it has also helped Volterra step down the path towards leadership - in a way, because he's managed this, he thinks he can manage anything. His already inflated ego hardly needs any more bolstering, but this is a different kind of pride to the sort that he feels when he's taking down a foe on the battlefield.

"We are almost there," he rumbles, his colossal frame slowing its walk down to a meandering plod in order to give Asteria chance to observe the surrounding landscape. They are still on the mainland, and the goliath gestures with his scarred muzzle towards the island out in the ocean. "That island is the Dragon's Throat. We are nearly at the bridge - what do you think?" He's eager to gauge her opinion, to see if she is impressed as he was when he first saw the distance island back when he was a boy. Of course, his admiration was tempered back then by the fact the Sultan had kidnapped his mother, but he thinks there is quite a savage beauty to the desert south.

Up in the sky, he can just make out the black dots of his dragons. They are pleased to see him home and are quite eager to greet the woman alongside him, but he commands them to stay back for now. They are frightening creatures; he does not want to risk them making Asteria change her mind.

image credits

Continued from here!

All welcome, maybe @Sikeax ? :D @Asteria

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Asteria Posts: 6
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 3
Viola
They have been walking for a long while, and although usually by now Asteria's muscles would be aching, she doesn't feel a thing. All she can feel is pure excitement and nervousness creeping into her. She hadn't realized it before, but she had been so lonely wandering by herself for a year. When your only company is the voice inside your head, anyone would go mad. How would the others react to her though? She wondered how big this herd was. What if they jeered at her for not having trained in months? What if they found her to be weird, or unacceptable in some way? Volterra had mentioned magic a while back. Was she expected to know more about it? Her head suddenly feels like it is going to explode and her stomach starts flipping over itself. She starts to wonder if this is the right thing. It sure feels right to her, but when has her intuition been more correct than her judgement?

She is brought out of her twisted thoughts as Volterra  asks her what she thinks. She pricks her ears and finally takes in the land surrounding her. She is breathtaken. The dense trees are not present as they were back in the Threshold. He points out to an island and she cannot believe her eyes. She has never seen water so vast! Sure, she's seen small lakes and ponds but never something like this! They are walking through sand now, and although there is no canopy, the sun's warmth doesn't bother her.

"This place is beautiful! I never imagined I'd ever be living somewhere like this! Thank you Volterra." At this moment, she is eternally grateful to the stallion. This fresh start is the best thing that she could have imagined for herself. She has no regrets now. When I meet the herd members, I will be confident. I will be myself. She could now feel her worries being replaced by hope.

@Volterra

Sikeax the Sea Soul Posts: 355
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 5 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Hobgoblin :: Common Rougarou :: Water & Seoul :: Plain White Dragon :: Toxic Breath Zuno
into the sea, you and me
all these years, and no one heard
i love you, let's go

They are washed up shells on the red beaches, ugly and near broken, nothing worth even glancing at, turning over the stones of their hunger until boulders become pebbles in the small, worn palms of their hands. When was the last time that they had leapt without thought, without feeling the weight of damnation, freely into the sea with every bit of comfort filling up the spaces in their body.
There are so many things to do, now that she has changed from simple but struggling and pained healer to hated and distrusted leader. Hunger tightens another knot in their bellies. Instincts screams for them to do what they know from birth, to eat. Hobgoblin’s primal instincts just happens to be the one to break first.
She, like an invisible leash has permanently made her attached to him but not the other way around, plunges without even a second thought.
The water is death cold, calm despite the ruthlessness of the storms that have plagued and declared upon her herdland and her family. Shivers run down her skin as if a thousand bugs decide in unison to flee across her towards the fading surface. She is at peace, even if for a little while.
They reach the other side as if it is a trail they must follow, pushed along by unseen currents and Hobgoblin’s growing anger that can’t be silenced by his gluttony, risen from shallows due to Sikeax’s fretting over whether or not she should patrol the mainland border. Seagrass hangs from her jaws while she lingers, swallowing hard once before gathering up the courage to hit the barrier horn-first as every breath becomes a sledgehammer to her lungs at the exchange. He will not join her for some time.
For now, he is caught in the act of getting the last bits of food in his mouth, baby sea turtles and too slow fish, things that don’t do the job as much as he’d like to them but enough to gentle his needs into submission.
Time melts in the between her short-lived, singular presence on the sand and when Hobgoblin joins her, announcing Volterra and his new recruit as long, black legs send him trotting back to her in the direction she was already heading.
“Skullface bring woman. Have sex with?”
The idea encourages her to vomit regardless of how much she doubts it. So much trust had been placed into him with the creation of a budding friendship, and she cannot imagine him bringing a new woman into the Dragon’s Throat to impregnate when they were already heavily populated by children.
This isn’t to say that the thought doesn’t leave her mind when she comes across the dark pair, annoyed at Hobgoblin’s purring and maybe something else, thrashing tail over hip as coarse strands beat upon him. A lunging bite goes to waste as he slips from her in the aftermath of his motions.
“No dragon?”
Do you want me to ask?

An idiot question, because of course Hobgoblin will want her to ask. She opts out to search with blue eyes catching on any glimmer of vibrant scales and glorious masses, but falls prey to diplomacy at the sight of their recruit. A grumble rolls like thunder inside of her brother.
“Hello Volterra, and I’m guessing our new desert sister?” Her voice is soft, low, trying to get through this against the fact that she has never welcomed anyone into the Dragon's Throat as a lead. Kri had called her sister when she had arrived, so who is she not to welcome with the same thing that she had received so long ago?
“I’m Sikeax, the Sultana here, but Sia works a lot easier if you intend to stay. And” A quick motion in Hobgoblin’s direction brings forth a flurry of transformation, lips curled upwards to expose his best attempt at a smile as his long body lays atop warm, blood sands. “this is my companion, Hobgoblin.” The head bobbing begins here, as if he intends to make her look as humorous as possible. It probably works, because her physical appearance is draped in dampness from the water, no longer shedding droplets but still having the look of having recently thrashed in the sea. “Is there anything I can do for you?”

OOC: HERE HAVE A POST OF GROSSNESS. I'm very rusty rn c':
Hobgoblin is in his serval up until the change is mentioned, where he'll be in his leopard seal form.
Please only tag me when it's my turn to post!

lunarblues!

@Volterra

you were angels,
so much more than everything

:: please tag me
:: minor force and power play allowed

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

V O L T E R R A
OH, MY EYES ARE SEEING RED
DOUBLE VISION FROM THE BLOOD WE'VE SHED

A wide grin splits across the stallion's broad muzzle as Asteria sings the Throat's praises. It pleases him to see her so eager; each iota of his massive frame seems to hum with delight at his success. "You are more than welcome," comes his thunderous growl of a voice. It strikes him that they have helped each other out here - he has introduced her to a home that she seems to already love, and she has helped him prove to himself that he can do more than just fight.

With the absence of his dragons, he relies on his own senses to notice when Sikeax draws close. His ears prick forwards and a welcoming snort leaves his nostrils as the Sultana comes closer, accompanied by Hobgoblin. Immediately Vérzés croons from his position high in the sky, and makes to soar down to greet his rougarou friend. But Volterra stymies his attempts with one firm flick of his mind; it is going so well, he does not want his newest recruit scaring off. Reluctantly the red continues his circling high above, but makes his displeasure known in the form of multiple sadfaces inserted into the behemoth's mind.

He looks between Sikeax and Asteria with pride evident in every harsh line of his face - he's like a puppy keen to display his shiny new stick to his owner. It does not occur to him that Sikeax may assume he has only brought this woman home because he has bedded her, or wishes to - he assumes she will be as delighted as he is at his newfound recruiting ability. "Sikeax, it is good to see you. This is Asteria - she wishes to join our herd from the Threshold. She has also expressed interest in becoming one of my warriors." He falls silent, assuming the two women will wish to converse; he is unsure how these things work now, whether it is up to Sikeax to formally invite Asteria into the herd or whether Volterra himself has already done that.

Ack, herd politics. He is a little long in the tooth to be learning them all now, but alas, he must.

image credits

@Asteria

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]